Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• dancarnedancarne Member Posts: 2
    averaged 24MPG on a 2600 mile trip, 5 people in car with A/C going most of the time. Around town is a different story average is about 17-18MPG
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    What model? Does yours have VCM, is why I'm asking.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    the '04 doesn't have VCM. That came along with the '05 redesign. For '04, all the trim lines have the same engine and tranny combo.

On our '05, we are now getting our summer mileage. About 16.5-17 around town (real short hop local, now highway other than an occasional 3 mile stretch of local interstate). We still get ~25 when we travel, mixed driving (rarely a steady speed, some hills, local roads mixed in), plus I have no idea what cruising at 65 feels like. Around here, on the turnpike, Mopeds and school buses will run you off the road at that speed.

So 17/25 on the beast ('05 Odyssey EX-L) is about all I expect, although we have had legs that pushed 27.

I really need to take a trip south (downhill, less traffic!) with all open highway running to see what it can do under optimal conditions.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hard to keep track of when these were all redesigned; it was the Sienna that came out in 04.
  • chemteacher07chemteacher07 Member Posts: 1
    I routinely get an average of 24 mpg and I have quite a lead foot, and use the A/C whenever I get a tad warm. We are quite happy with this number.
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    In this forum I haven't seen many recent posts by Quest owners beside ivan_99 so I thought to put in a few words. We have a Nissan Quest 05 SE. We just returned from a 1-week trip from Potomac, MD to Outer Banks, NC (~685 miles). The van was fully loaded (3 adults, 2 kids, bagages, beach canopy, toys including an 'exersaucer"!). The MPG for highway driving was ~26 from MD to NC, and slightly improved to ~27.8 on the return trip. I made an effort to maintain the speed around 65 mph and never stayed at 70 mph for too long except for passing. As many of you previously said, that seemed to give the best MPG for minivans. The MPG for mixed city/highway driving is ~23. We didn't drive around too much once we get there. Besides, the speed limit on highway 12 there is 50 mph, and everyone drives ~60 so it's hardly "city driving". In comparison, my usual MPG around Potomac/Washington area hovers around 16-17 (75% city/25% highway). We've had this van for over 2 years and never experienced any kind of problems. I once sat and drove my sister Honda Odyssey 06 LX. For some strange reason, its interior seems more cramped than my Quest. They layout doesn't give you that "airy" feeling IMO.
    Another sidebar issue, the husband of my sister-in-law drives a Lexus LX470 which costs `$70K (according to what he said). Every time I see this SUV, I can't help but think,"This must be the biggest piece of junk on the road". Perhaps only the Hummer H3 is above it! Boy, for that money, I can buy 2 Quest SE and have twice everything from utility to fun. I sat in the 1st row and couldn't believe how cramped this thing is. When I backed the seat, well I just crushed whoever sits behind in the 2nd row. Their 3rd row is a total (very expensive) joke! I wouldn't even put my 6-month old daughter back there. Lexus must have gone to the junkyard, collected the biggest piece of metal crap, slapped on their logo, and a few simili-wood trim and some kind of engine and voilà! I guess if you're an SUV lover and swears by Lexus and nothing else, well this can be your toy! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I guess some of us may need a thorough eye exam!!! :P
    The LX is basically a very old Land Cruiser design in a tuxedo.

This will kill you, though. My dad worked in a bank in Central America and operated fleets of Land Cruisers. He'd order them with diesel engines, manual transmissions, vinyl seats, steel wheels, knobby tires, etc.

This is the fun part - spec'd out like that, and without taxes for diplomatic missions, it cost them about $22,000 US dollars!

That means the guy that pays $70 grand for the Lexus is getting almost $50 grand worth of that tuxedo.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I've been doing just city driving...up and down on the interstate & service roads 15.8mpg (I only do the comp reading now...don't wanna take the effort to do it manually)

The 05 Quest SE moves pretty good when you want it to...and the tranny kicks down nice...but it really sucks the gas down quickly when you lay on the accelerator

I agree with the 65mph limit for mileage. Once you start hitting the 75-80+ the mileage drops off considerably; probably the huge drag coming into play.

GX470 :) a co-worker of mine owns one...I had the same take on it..POS
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    The GX470 i not a P.O.S my aunts Black on Black is awesome, has 50,000 mile without a single problem and gets better gas mileage than her 99 town&country. Nissan's are garbage, my uncle's 03 altima 3.5SE has had 3 transmisions at only 69,000 miles.
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    Oh please! My post referred to LX470, not the GX. Second, the GX although redesigned is even smaller thus more cramped inside than LX. So what I said about the LX interior space still applies to GX. Hard to imagine any otherwise! Third, what year is your aunt's GX? If you compare the GX 06 or 07 to Town&Country 99, is that a fair comparison? Hardly! Finally, "Nissan is garbage" is based on your only experience with your uncle's Altima?! I bet if you go on Altima's forum, you'll see otherwise. My brother's Murano 03, my father's Maxima 05, and my own Quest 05 have never required anything else the regular maintenace as suggested by the owner's manual. Nothing else, nothing less! I never said my sister-in-law's LX had any problems! God forbids, they'll kill themselves since they just got it 5 months ago! Anyway, my view is you don't have to shell out ~70K for this SUV. People do it since it makes them feel more "manly", want to use "off-road", or transport more stuff and people? Oh please, get any eye exam!
    ok...

Yes, the 15/19 mpg (14/18 for the 08 tests) is impressive
  • danataradanatara Member Posts: 2
    My brand new Odyssey EX-L has 1,000 miles. I got only about 10 MPG in local driving and 20 MPG on the highway. Is this normal?
    Stating the obvious...have you reset the mpg comp? or are you calculating it manually.

When we first bought our Quest it was reading about 11mpg...sitting idling at the dealer all the time.

Then I'd check tire pressures. I find they are rarely correct; when we drove an Odyssey they seemed way over inflated.
  • tinyguytinyguy Member Posts: 44
    I just did 1100km journey, mostly on the highway. I probably averaged around 125km, mostly on cruize at 128km. Based on my calculation, she did 29mpg which I am very happy with.
    Definitely reset it.

I got my Sienna and it read 13mpg. That climbed up to over 20 by the end of the first tank. I reset it, and haven't seen less than 21mpg since.

The Sedona I test drove was reading 7 mpg! Ouch. I'm sure that would improve, too.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you should compute it the manual (approved way) and compare.

i wouldn't trust a computer-estimated FE reading, even if I verified it myself (once).

and what is an instantaneous / short-term estimate good for anyhow? to sell the multi-function computer perhaps. :shades:
    I do on each tank, and have found my Sienna's trip computer to be very accurate, off by a tenth of an mpg at most.

I was surprised, as in other cases I was told trip computers were often a full 1-2mpg optimistic.

The instant read helps if you're on a flat surface and set the cruise control. For instance, increase the speed where you set the cruise and you see exactly that that would cost you in fuel efficiency.

And it doesn't always mean slow down. My Sienna only goes to 5th gear at about 46mph, so it's more efficieny at 46-50mpg than it is at 40-45mph. Of course MPGs drop rather quickly past 60mph.
  • danataradanatara Member Posts: 2
    I dont have a computer, I calculated manually. I did the city test three times already, averaging 10 to 11.5 MPG
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    From Phoenix area to Yuma, Az, about as flat as can be, got 25MPG doing 75-80 MPH most of the way with the AC on. From Yuma to San Diego going from below sea level to 4000+ feet and back to sea level we got 22 MPG. One can never recoup the uphill pull with the down hill coast. Van has 63K miles with new tires. This is typical for us, and we can get 1 or 2 MPG better in slower traffic and with the AC off.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    From Phoenix area to Yuma, Az, about as flat as can be, got 25MPG doing 75-80 MPH most of the way with the AC on. From Yuma to San Diego going from below sea level to 4000+ feet and back to sea level we got 22 MPG. One can never recoup the uphill pull with the down hill coast. Van has 63K miles with new tires. This is typical for us, and we can get 1 or 2 MPG better in slower traffic and with the AC off.
    I drove from Phoenix to Tucson and remember how flat the area was (minus the surrounding mountains, of course). Roads were long, flat, and straight as an arrow.
    just for sanity check purposes, explain your method.
    .1MPG correlation with the manual method? wow - things have improved since i was first exposed to these systems. that's pretty darn good!
    Yep, last time it was off by 0.05something. Pretty negligable.
  • matthew22matthew22 Member Posts: 2
    Just did our annual PA-Myrtle trip. 700+ miles each way, AC on the entire time, cruising around 70 mph, 2 adults, 2 kids, TONS of stuff in the back.

2007 Limited AWD - just over 22 mpg (manual method) for entire trip w/trip computer saying essentially the same. Averaged 24.9 mpg on flat highways in the Carolinas! All of these numbers are w/less than 3.5K total miles on the van, so it is not even broken in yet. Around town averaging 17.5-18 mpg (manual method again).

Could not be happier with our mileage thus far. :)
  • beeman4ubeeman4u Member Posts: 34
    2,500 total miles on my Sienna XLE AWD and the wife is back. Manual Cals come to 21.6 hwy mpg(computer read 23) and now we're back to city driving of 15.8 city mpg (computer reads 16/17. Still seems low to me but I guess it is what it is.
  • beeman4ubeeman4u Member Posts: 34
    Manual Cals come to 21.6 hwy mpg(computer read 23) and city driving is 15.8 city mpg (computer reads 16/17.

Still seems low to me but I guess it is what it is.
  • siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    I'm sure this has been answered before, but would you please explain how to manually calculate your mpg? And I wouldn't be too quick to think that the mpg improved on the Sedona. When I had one, it seemed like I was always putting gas in that thing! :shades:
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    When you fill-up the vehicle, write down the mileage from the odometer (say for example 25,200 miles) then the next time you fill-up (say at 25,600 miles) subtract the numbers to find the distance you traveled on the tank (400 miles) and divide the miles by the gallons that you just put in (say 19 gallons) which equals 21 mpg. The mpg is simply total miles divided by total gallons.

Joe
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    Just got back from a trip from Sacramento to the California North Coast. The first tank we got 26 mpg which included freeways and some 18% grades. Haven't filled up the second tank yet so it will include some regular city driving.

Joe
    or use your trip odometer (there should be an "A" and "B" trip odometer).

fill. reset the trip odometer. drive. stop for gas and refill, and divide trip odometer miles indicated by gallons filled.

fill. reset trip odometer. do it again.
    That's exactly what I do, use Trip A for gas. I reserve Trip B for trips.

Tied my record this weekend going to the beach:

30.6 mpg in a 2007 Sienna LE, close to 3000 miles on the odo. Front A/C only. Typical speeds of 55-75 mph.

It was incredible, at one point I was in the 34.x range, but I hit Route 50 and speed limits picked up, then mileage dropped. There was traffic after that.

Still, I'll take 30.6 on a trip happily, it's better than I got in my Miata.

If I were hyper-miling and patient enough, I bet I could set cruise control at 50mph and blast my record. Especially with the A/C off.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    My 06 Sienna LE is slightly optimistic since it is 1 to 2 % higher on a LONG round trip than manual calculation. (I only top off BEFORE the long trip and AFTER the trip and do this to check the accuracy of the trip computer).

The trip computer read 29.2 AVG MPG at the end of the last 1379 mile round trip. I put 48.2 gallons of gasoline in it which computes by calculator to 28.6 MPG.

My 2002 T&C LX had a slightly more accurate trip computer than the Sienna. The Sienna has slightly more power and gets slightly better gas mileage than the 02 T&C even though both have a 3.3L V6.

The Instantaneous MPG is a very "Nice to Have" item. Not necessary like A/C or a heater but is quite valuable to those who have a vehicle with the capability. I never missed the trip computer until I bought a vehicle that had it. :shades:
    My 2006 Sienna LE trip computer read 32.1 MPG after I had driven 303 miles on the last trip. It took only 8.8 gallons to fill the tank = 34.4 MPG manual calculation.

I think the trip computer is more accurate than manual calculation unless the vehicle is filled at the same gas station every time.

I reset both Trip A and Trip B before a long trip. At the end of the trip, I reset Trip B each time I get fuel but leave avg mpg because it feels so good to see the 29+ MPG and then 28+ mpg AVERAGE for weeks....even though around town I am getting only 22 to 23 MPG. :shades:
    Quite possible that the trip computer is more accurate.

I've only seen very small variations from manual calculations - always less than half an MPG.
    I think the trip computer is more accurate than manual calculation unless the vehicle is filled at the same gas station every time.

I doubt that. Although the major source of error is going to be in the pump or the mathematical calculation. Still, I'd be surprised if the pump was a major source of error. More than likely the odometer / mileage measurement is off.

I mean, it's possible the unit can calculate fuel consumption fairly accurately from the duty cycle on the injectors, but really, I think the manual method is likely to be more consistent.
    What can make the:

(odometer miles)/(gallons used at the pump)

strategy work better is if you keep doing it and calculate the running average.

In that case you're only going to be off by the difference in fill-up levels from the very first and very last tanks, probably a tenth of a gallon, if that.

So do 10 tankfulls (150 gallons or so) and that variation becomes insignificant.
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    I have just under 800 miles - 3 fill ups
    1st 14.8 mpg
    2nd 16.9 mpg
    3rd 20.0 mpg

The first 2 were all city, the last was about half and half.

BTW, I have a 2002 Durango with the 4.7 V8 with 196,000 miles on it currently, and my last fill up was 19 mpg - 80/20 highway mostly.
    Mostly around town, 23.0 mpg. My lowest MPG since the very first tank, but it was almost all in town.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    NO, it will NOT. The best MAXIMUM possible mileage I could eke out of my 2006 Sienna LE on a round trip controlled test, 50 to 55 MPH fairly level stretch of I-80 between SLC toward Wendover Nevada and back with no wind and no A/C was 36.0 MPG.
    On the same test 4 years ago with my 2003 PT Cruiser, it got 37.2 MPG which proves the much heavier Sienna with a 3.3L V6 is exceptionally frugal compared to a 2.4 inline 4 cyl PT cruiser....but it has only a 4 speed AT with gearing too much toward performance at the expense of fuel economy.

Man reading about all you Toyota Sienna drivers getting 30-36 mpg on your minivans. I have to wonder if your trips are all down hill or if your using your van's calculator and not a hand calculator. I've never heard of any minivan getting that kind of mileage. For that matter, nor a PT Cruiser.
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    On the same test 4 years ago with my 2003 PT Cruiser, it got 37.2 MPG

I have to wonder if your trips are all down hill or if your using your van's calculator and not a hand calculator. I've never heard of any minivan getting that kind of mileage. For that matter, nor a PT Cruiser.

My wife has an 03 PT Cruiser turbo and there is absolutely no way it gets 37.2 mpg, regardless of how she drives. She averages around 19-20 mpg in the city and I got 26 mpg during one all Interstate trip with the cruise control on, no turbo engagement.

For someone to get 37.2 mpg in a PT Cruiser they'd almost have to be coasting down a mountain descent with a strong tailwind.

On the other hand, I get around 11-12 mpg combined city/highway in my Viper.
    The grandparents took the train down to meet us, then we drove them home, from MD to CT.

With 6 people plus luggage in the van, we averaged 26.7mpg.

Far from my best but it was quite a heavy load.

marine2: I use both, but my trip computer is so close I'm considering not bothering with the hand calculations.

The cool thing is the range you get - I drove more than 480 miles and it only took 18 gallons (the tank holds 21). :shades:
    My Sienna reads 1 % to 2 % higher than ACTUAL mileage on a 1380 mile round trip. The 02 T&C trip computer read less than 1 % higher than actual on same round trips (taken earlier).

As the guidelines to EPA Estimates say "Remember your gasoline mileage may vary". I have ALWAYS been able to get better than EPA estimates except with a Volkswagen Bus which was getting 11 MPG on the highway. :sick:
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I have noticed on mine, 2005 DGC, I can get two different readings on my computer. If I'm on the highway and set it. It can go up to 32-33 mpg. over a 5-10 mile drive.

If I set it a block or two before getting on the freeway, it will give me a 22-24 mpg over the same 5-10 mile drive.

So I just check it when filling, set the meter to zero and check it again when I fill and how many miles I drove on the tank of gas. It usually is around 22-24. Never got 25 or higher on the full tank. Although the places I go, I always have at least one big mountain to cross and about 4-5 miiles of city driving.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    The trip computer on my Quest 2005 is off by up to 2mpg sometimes.
    According to the trip computer
    @ 55 mph yields about 33mpg
    @ 60 mph yields about 29mpg
    I can't drive that slow all the time!

Mostly my mix of hwy + stop and go get me about 19 mpg
  • ducksdad007ducksdad007 Member Posts: 18
    Bought a new 2007 Odyssey. The first tank was nearly all city driving, got 16.6 mpg, the second tank was mostly on the road, got 26 mpg
    Got an impressive 30.4mpg from DC to Jamestown, VA and back for a work retreat. It was all highway and just me in the van with a lot of computer equipment.

That was last week. This weekend we made a round trip to the beach with the whole family and got 27.9 mpg round trip, again mostly highway.

This is an 07 Sienna 3.5l, with FWD.
  • barefoot_1776barefoot_1776 Member Posts: 1
    We frequently drive our 2005 GC 3.8L 4-sp auto around on weekends with a full crew of 6 or 7 family members. I can also tell you that the Ellicott City/ Oella / Catonsville Maryland area (where we go to and from) is only slightly less hilly than some places I have visited in the West Virginia Mountains. With a crew of 7 big people driving over hill and dale we generally average 22-23 mpg on a varied mix of slow hilly, lots of city stop and go, and short highway jaunts totalling about 130 miles on a Saturday.

When I use the mini-van for daily commuting (19 mile round trip) about 1/5 of the time, I average about 22.5 - 24mpg in and around Annapolis depending time and density of the backup.

When my family of 4 with luggage travels from Annapolis to Ocean City (115 miles) 6-8 times per year we generally average about 28.5mpg when red lights in Easton and Cambridge are bad, and if we manage to sneak though those towns without hitting every red light I have gotten 32.3 as a one-way high mark. But also as low as 13.5 mpg one-way when trapped in the increasing frequent 1-1/2 to 2 hour Bay Bridge back-ups. But weekender O.C. rountrips average 25- 25.5 mpg with 330 miles on the trip odo.

By far our best milage comes on longer distance trips like 220 mile trips to NYC, 4 times per year with 5 people and luggage I consistantly average 30 mpg until we get to NYC. When NYC driving (about 50-60 miles worth) is taken into account, my GC's consistent round trip milage has been 26.4mpg over 500 miles.

Or on our yearly trip to Atlanta of about 700 miles with 6 people and luggage, I average 31 mpg but a round trip average of about 28-28.5mpg, with about 1800 miles on the trip odometer.

We try to use the van for what it is designed for. A people/stuff hauler. If we are just commuting around with the 4 of us or less, and we don't plan on buying anything that won't fit in a cars trunk, we travel in our car. Really big and dirty? Our pickup and oldest son gets called upon for work duty. The rest of the time our 2004 GC is a work horse and roomy long distance hauler and has been rock-steady reliable and trouble free over 3 years and 48,000 miles with one set of tires and brakes.

Just for the record my driver vehicles are:

1987 Mitsubishi SPX pickup 2.6L I-4 5sp Man (avg 21 mpg)
    2004 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe 3.0L V-6 5sp Man (avg 20 mpg)
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L V-6 4sp Auto (avg 23 mpg)
    2007 Saturn Aura Green Line 2.4L I-4 4sp Auto (hybrid-like) (avg 30.5 mpg)

I also own:
    1956 Chevy (Red/white) convertible
    1969 Chevy Stingray (Blue)
    1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE (Black)
    1984 VW GTI (White)
  • stev0stev0 Member Posts: 1
    i was thinkink about buying 1 did u have to do any thing to it to get 16 mpg out of it?
    07 Sienna, 8k miles

All city, stop-and-go, extremely cold: 19.2mpg. :sick:

That stands in stark contrast to my peak of 34mpg on an all-highway trip.