Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Be happy. My 2006 Sienna LE with 19,307 miles got 12.8 MPG for the last tank when it was refilled last Saturday. The overall average has dropped to 24.1 MPG from 24.9 MPG on August 9 last year.

My best long round trip (1360 miles) mileage was 29.2 MPG compared to 28.2 MPG for my 2002 Chrysler T&C LX on same 1360 mile round trip 2 years earlier.

Maximum POSSIBLE round trip gas mileage with my 06 Sienna when driven at 55 MPH with moderate temperature, NO air conditioning used, no winds, etc. was 36.0 MPG. :blush:
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, this thing seems to love the highway. Once you get it up to speed, it doesn't take much fuel to keep it going. I break 30 regularly on the highway.

Current tank is better than the last one, about 25mpg so far.
  • Options
    Gas mileage 10.9 MPG for last tank and the average for the last 3 tanks of gasoline is a deploreable 12.4 MPG. :sick:

Yes, you read correctly. The gas mileage was LESS than 11 MPG on last tank.
  • Options
    Weird, weren't you breaking 30mpg this past summer?

Mine has dropped with the extreme cold, too, but I'm still above 21 mpg right now.

Are you taking shorter trips as well? Or idling it to warm it up?
  • Options
    rolojroloj Member Posts: 12
    Where do you live (drive) that you are getting that mileage?
    What is your top / cruise speed while drive?
    How much of city vs highway driving represents the type of mileage your are getting?
  • Options
    It varies, a lot.

In the summer, we have a weekend getaway/beach condo, so we make lots of long trips, 3 hours each way. I consistently get better than 27mpg, usually 28 to 30 or so.

Now it's cold and the place it closed up, so it's all around town driving, mostly short trips. We try to combine errands but most of the kids' activities are only a few miles away, so the engine barely warms up before we arrive. I'd say most trips are less than 5 miles, with a few longer drives mixed in.

In town, on short trips, I've seen as low as 19mpg. A longer drive will increase the average mpg back up in the 20s, though, pretty quickly.

I do not tend to go too fast - usually 65 in 55 zones, 70-75 in a 65mph zone, but there aren't many 65 mph zones here in MD. I'm probably going a bit slower than average traffic, though.

What I've found is that the Sienna shifts to 5th gear at right about 45mph, and that's about where it gets the best mileage. RPMs are way low, about 1400rpm or so, just above idle. It can maintain speed on level ground, but on a hill it will have to upshift.

55mph is easier because it rarely shifts down. High 20s or even 30+mpg.

At 65mph it almost never needs 4th gear, but mileage isn't as good - high 20s.

I haven't cruised at much higher speeds for any extended period, this is a family car after all, not a top speed racer. ;)
  • Options
    Idling 5 minutes to warm it up, short trips only, and VERY cold weather.

I am confident the gas mileage will jump back up to 27-28 MPG on long trips. ;)
  • Options
    I think so, too.
  • Options
    marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    or use your trip odometer (there should be an "A" and "B" trip odometer).

fill. reset the trip odometer. drive. stop for gas and refill, and divide trip odometer miles indicated by gallons filled.

fill. reset trip odometer. do it again

That is how I do it. I do not use or trust the overhead computer. I find it will give me way different readings if I set it before I get on the freeway than what it says if I set it after I get on the freeway. Setting it after I get on, it has shown it getting anywhere from 30-35 mpg. If I set it before getting on, it will show 19-23mpg. I get a true reading by doing it your way and it's never been over 25mpg.

Dodge GC 3.8
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    there are people that swear by their on-board computers. i would never trust them myself, not even with outside air temperature. :blush:
  • Options
    I'm one of those people.

I measure both, trip MPG from the computer, and miles traveled/gallons consumed. My trip computer is a tenth of an MPG.
  • Options
    The MOST accurate measure of highway mileage is to reset the Trip Computer AFTER the vehicle is warmed up and a person enters the open road (or Freeway in many places).

The trip computer (if reset when refueled) is measuring the OVERALL average mileage to include warm up, stop and go, and highway mileage.

When I go on a long trip, I refuel the vehicle the night before the trip and reset the trip computer when the vehicle is filled. I then check the trip computer average mileage when I refill the tank AFTER the trip is completed. Thus, there is some warm up and stop and go included in my computation for highway mileage. The 2006 Sienna LE trip computer reads 2 to 3 % higher than actual mileage when the 1380 miles is divided by the total fuel placed into the vehicle during and at the end of the trip. The 2002 T&C LX trip computer computed average mileage was less than 1 % higher than actual. :shades:
  • Options
    The only true way to know how many average miles you can get to a tank of gas is miles traveled, divided by gallons it takes to fill it. If done that way, I doubt anyone will get 30 miles to the gallon on a minivan. I can get on the freeway and then set the overhead computer and it will go up to the low 30s, and very slowly start coming down, to around 25-27 mpg but that doesn't mean I'm going to get 30 mpg, or 27 mpg when I fill it up. It usually will show 22-25 mpg for the whole tank full.
  • Options
    boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
  • Options
    boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
    Finally after 40K miles, and much frustration with the 21-22 highway mpg all this time, I finally broke the 27 mpg range. At today's gas prices (3.69 in SC & 3.89 in KY), I was determined to improve the mileage of my Sedona during this trip from Daytona Bch. to Cincinnati, around 950 miles! How did I do it? I took a little more time for the trip -- and set the speed control for 66 MPH!! Not only did I not have to worry about the Police this Memorial day Weekend, but the trans didn't shift out of overdrive nearly as much in the mountains, like it does when you are driving over 70-75. I didn't pass very many cars at this speed, and I did notice fewer cars on the interstate driving the usual 80-85 mph. I guess that is the only way we can help with the current situation at the gas pump. Slow down & enjoy the ride!

Boxwrench
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    heh...I did the exact thing in my 05 Quest SE.

Austin to DFW I did the speed limit (+5mph max)...got 27.2 mpg there...but only 22.6mpg back. I've never achieved anything over 25mpg before this (just got new tires so not sure if this was a factor)

The way back I drove a little faster ;) (tired...kids cranky...etc)...but the mileage was already lower before I decided to burn a little more in order to preserve my sanity.

I don't think I fueled up with 10% Ethanol on the way there...I'll have to check that station...although I don't think it would make that dramatic of a difference.
  • Options
    I was up over 27 for a while, but then we drove around town while at the beach, so the tank average dropped to 24.2mpg. Not bad for mixed driving.

We hit a lot of traffic coming back but we still brought the average back up over 27 again.

What I like is that the tank holds 21 gallons so I can go about 4-500 miles between fill-ups. That helps a lot, especially when gas prices keep rising.
  • Options
    Well last week I took my first long trip with my 2005 Dodge GC .It's rated at 17/24 and for years that's about all I got. The most was 23.8mpg going to Cal. from AZ. This time I put over 1,600 miles on it. I got on my first tank, 24.77mpg. The second, I got 28.41, then got 27.17 on the third. The others were in the 23 and 24 mpg range. We drove faster on the way back.80-85 mph. About 70-75 mph going up.

Now I not only used the over head computer, I also used a hand calculator. The overhead computer was much closer than I thought it was.

I'm very happy to see what I got. Most manufactures inflate the mileage the vehicle gets. It's nice to see that I was able to get at least 4 mpg over that. The 3.8 ran very well. My Brother said he hasn't got that much on his 3.3 minivan.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Most manufactures inflate the mileage the vehicle gets.

I don't think they have any say in the mileage testing or release of the estimates...it's the EPA (gov't) that does the testing (which revised their tests for 2008).

Your 2005 GC (3.8) has been re-rated at 2008 specs at 16/23...so you did pretty good
  • Options
    Most manufactures inflate the mileage the vehicle gets.

I don't think they have any say in the mileage testing or release of the estimates...it's the EPA (gov't) that does the testing (which revised their tests for 2008).

Your absolutely correct on that. My mistake. I knew better.
  • Options
    jimoasejimoase Member Posts: 4
    Our mileage for 60,000 miles has averaged 24.2mpg. We have had several tanks while on the highway traveling at 65...70mph with average mileage of 26...27. In the winter around Mesa our mileage drops to around 21...22mpg.

Highway driving at 55mph will usually yield greater than 27mpg.

We travel a lot and often will have loads of 500...800 pounds in either luggage or people plus my wife and I.

Jim
  • Options
    Got 25.0 mpg going to the beach.

Got 26.6 mpg coming back.

Must have been an westward wind both times.

Speeds were 55-70 mph both times, A/C cranked, 4 people plus a dog and light luggage.
  • Options
    hakunamhakunam Member Posts: 13
    We rented a Toyota Sienna for our beach trip this past weekend. 6 people. light on luggage. But we kept the AC ON the entire trip except for the first 100 miles. Total of 580 miles with 29mpg average. I did the manual calculation, fill, reset, fill, calculate. I am impressed, I never thought it could be that good. I kept it within +5 of the limit most of the time, used cruise control as much as I could and basically tried all efficient driving practices.
  • Options
    Sweet, and I get about the same results on highway jaunts with the same strategies.

Good for you.

Where did you rent the Sienna? I saw some available in Florida but they ran $600 a week while other vans were half as much.

I'm just glad it doesn't cost double to purchase one!
  • Options
    I live in northern VA, rented it from the local enterprise for about 52.50 a day. I guess it would be around 300-350 for a week. I drive an Acura RSX type S otherwise and generally get 31mpg with slightly aggressive driving. My current tank, I am trying some hypermiling techniques and seems like it might be 35+. I will find out when I fill up.
  • Options
    hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    How was the power compared to your Acura?
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Imagine that... gas prices and mileage have been a topic of conversation at our weekly chats lately:)

Tuesday means Mazda chat night! The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!
  • Options
    That's cool.

I had no such luck in Florida, back in October.

We ended up renting an Accord.
  • Options
    ovesoves Member Posts: 3
    25-28 mpg
    What a sweetheart this van has been.
    Still going...she's doing quite well mechanically, but has collected a few bruises. The roof liner is shot.
    I decided early on never to bring this van to a dealer for service or recalls or anything as I had the feeling that they'd wreck it. It looks like it didn't hurt anyway!
  • Options
    ovesoves Member Posts: 3
    25 mpg avg, sometimes better, never less whether loaded or not
    headroom
    comfortable driving
    great view
    should last for another 22.5 years according to Mercedes' average lifetime figure
  • Options
    Sweet. And you probably have twice as much room as a Tahoe.
  • Options
    lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    There is no possible way a sienna is averaging 29 mpg. I think many of these figures are bloated...

The only way your going to average 29 mpg, especially with 6 people + luggage is coasting downhill going 55 MPH.
  • Options
    The Sienna actually can get upto 30 on the highway going about 60 on flat roads. A friend of ours has an 07 LE and they got 27 on there way to L.A. from Sacramento and they had 4 passengers, luggage, and had cruise set at 70 mph. Here is a link of a reviewer getting the same mileage. It's in the on the road section.
    http://minivans.about.com/od/toyotaminivans/fr/jj_07sienna-le.htm
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    06 Sienna 405 mile trip speed from 65 - 75 mph 2 adults 3kids and luggage. 26.9 mpg.
  • Options
    I mean, they are world apart but I must admit, I didn't dislike it outright. Completely opposite philosophies though. My car feels fast even when it's going 40. The Sienna was amazingly quiet and composed even at 70. I just love the stick shift and am not ready to give it up but I might have to. My wife is trying to make a case after that rental. BTW, last weekend we went for another trip and got a slightly older dodge caravan. I drove the same way but got a a paltry 21 mpg!!!!
  • Options
    Probably about 60% highway, but our previous tank returned 26.0mpg.
  • Options
    I think the Dodge caravans are too underpowered and that may be why it got only 21mpg. The Sienna is a powerhouse I think.
  • Options
    samilcarsamilcar Member Posts: 4
    Here are the MPG results from the first six tanks of my Sienna:

1st tank - 375 miles, 22.7 MPG, 50% highway, 50% city

2nd tank - 261 miles, 19.8 MPG, 30% highway, 70% city

3rd tank - 357 miles, 19.8 MPG, 30% highway, 70% city

4th tank - 472 miles, 32.1 MPG, All highway - 60-65 MPH average

5th tank - 501 miles, 27.9 MPG, All highway mountain driving - 55 MPH average

6th tank - 535 miles, 28.5 MPG, All highway - 70 MPH average

The 32 MPG tank was achieved with three people and 400 lbs of cargo. 30+MPG is very doable if you keep your speed down and drive with a light foot.
  • Options
    carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    I recently take a extended highway trip on my 97 Villager V6 151hp (100,000 miles with synthetic oil). I got 27 mpg at 60mph on the way and my return trip was 35 mpg 70-75mph. The reason i got 35 mpg because i followed the 18 wheelers within 40 fts till i got off the highway. It is not recommended because it causes MANY paint chips :cry:
  • Options
    That's what drafting will do for aerodynamic drag. Bummer about the chips.
  • Options
    krl2krl2 Member Posts: 5
    Gas mileage around town 16-18 mpg. Highway 24-26 mpg. Towing 2700 lb.trailer on highway also 24-26 mpg. Very happy about this. Van has 49,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    Very mixed driving. It included one trip, but then lots of city driving too.
  • Options
    moore02moore02 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Sedona van does pretty well on the highway (about 26mpg) but around town is awful (usually about 15-16 but sometimes as low as 13) I know of others taht do the same..
  • Options
    titanse2004titanse2004 Member Posts: 1
    On mostly Highway I am getting 23.2 mpg
  • Options
    Got 26.5 going up to CT, with mixed in town driving while I was there.

Got an even better 27+ coming back, though that was all highway.

Average speed were probably 65-75, and keeping those down helps a lot.
  • Options
    2006 Sienna easily gets 28 to 29 MPG on long round trips. Winter driving KILLS gas mileage. :sick: Overall average for 25,705 miles is now 23.4 MPG. :shades:
  • Options
    At what speeds?

I can break 30 if I stay under 55mph. Not easy around here, people tailgate you.
  • Options
    Speed Limit on I-15 in Utah, Nevada, and California is 75 MPH in most of Utah, and 70 MPH on I-15 in Nevada and California (except for construction areas). Interstate 15 in Arizona in the Virgin River Gorge in Northwest Arizona is 55 MPH.

We set the Sienna Cruise between 72 and 77 MPH on these trips except for 55 MPH through the Virgin River Gorge.

People still tailgate when I drive at or above the speed limits in all 4 states but I am always in the right lane except when passing trucks on the long uphill stretches. :shades:
  • Options
    desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    I just got home from a road trip, avg 70 mph with cruise control on....a few slow downs from traffic. MPG 27 .
  • Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Lease ending on this van & I've kept close records. Ave in city 17-20mpg (smooth driving-no jackrabbit starts), ave highway 70-75mph runs 23-5mpg and 2-3 mpg higher at 55-60mph. BTW these are ACTUAL ave gas tank fill-up numbers over last 15K miles under all conditions (i.e. not downwind, downhill, drafting 18 wheelers, etc.).
    BTW- trip computers on most vehicles read high mpg. With recent spike in gas prices this was active topic of discussion at various Holiday parties. ALL claimed their vehicles' computers OVERstated actual mpg in real-world driving (inc. GM, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Chrysler Hyundai, Nissan).

New model with bigger, more powerful 4L engine may do a bit better according to EPA, and at least 1 car rag

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/112_0812_2008_chrysler_town_and_coun- try_update_2/index.html