Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Some people like to count only cars, for reasons I just can't fathom...other than the reason that it makes German brands look better.

The reason why some Germancarfan asked for just the 5-year car numbers was because some Lexicon said that the reason BMW has increased its sales over the last 5 years was because they added SUVs.

When you're talking about total units sold, you can't say you must include SUVs, then turn around and discredit BMW's growth because they introduced SUVs. How hypocritical... You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    The reality is that the four Toyota sedan models (equivalent to IS, GS, LS and SC) outsold all MB and BMW models even when they were marketted as Toyota's!

When you say equivalent to Lexus IS did you include the Toyota Corolla? Where did you get your figures from? Bloomberg was quite concise in defining luxury as being over 3.5 million yen?

Also where did you see that ad with the 100K $ discount for the Maybach? I find it kind of ludicrous that Maybach would sell their cars so publicly at such a huge discounts like a baker who sells stale bagels at a discount. Talk about snob appeal!
    The reality is that the four Toyota sedan models (equivalent to IS, GS, LS and SC) outsold all MB and BMW models even when they were marketted as Toyota's!

Now we're comparing Corollas and Camrys to luxury cars? Huh?
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Growth is growth whether it is accelerating or decelerating. Are you saying what decelerates cannot accelerate in the future? Are you saying MB is doomed?

No, I'm not an MB doom and gloom theorist. But I do think they have failed in recent years (relative to their arch-competitors in the US) to "deliver the goods" in terms of meeting customer desires. I actually think the RELATIVE growth rates for them are apt to improve, because I actually do think they have made SOME and will continue to make SOME progress on the reliability front.

As far as "Growth is growth whether it is accelerating or decelerating"...I thought you were in the securities business? Would you rather have own a company that was growing at a 15% cagr in the past, but more recently is down to 4%, or would you rather have a company that was growing at a 5% cagr in the past, and is now up to 8%. Is a 8% grower better than a 4% grower? Is acceleration not prefered over deceleration?
    As far as "Growth is growth whether it is accelerating or decelerating"...I thought you were in the securities business?

When you use the words scary I have difficulty associating those words with any kind of growth. Even in the investment business I associate the words scary with failure and negative growth. No, MB is not in a scary situation.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "Some people like to count only cars, for reasons I just can't fathom...other than the reason that it makes German brands look better."

You had already posted the overall numbers, so no reason to post them again. I wanted to see car information because I'm interested in industry trends in that segment, and posted it for those that care. Just because the numbers favor one brand over another, don't assume that there is a hidden agenda. If anything, to the extent that I have a bias, it is against German brands.

So... is it forbidden to post trends about cars? Didn't know that it was the law of the land that you can only post overall sales, and not breakdowns.
    "How hypocritical" ???

I started posting total vehicle numbers, and still maintain that that is the most rational way to look at things. Yet when the German side responds by talking about car-only numbers, I'm not allowed to talk the same way without being called hypocritical?
    Look, we can cut the market any way we want. Some people here like to look JUST AT CARS, maybe because they feel that cars are the most important, for whatever reason. We could equally look JUST AT THE HEL SEDANS, under the theory that these are the flagships, and that the midrange and low end just aren't as important. Who would be winning then?

So, germancarfans, every time you say we ought to focus just on cars, why don't I say that as long as we're being exclusionary, why not focus just on HEL Sedans?

NO. The most rational way of looking at this, imho, is the inclusive way. Total vehicles.
    I didn't use the word scary. You did. Go check the posts.
    "The most rational way of looking at this, imho, is the inclusive way. Total vehicles."

Most rational way of looking at what?

If you're interested in the relative performance of brands, you look at overall numbers.

If you're interested in the relative performance of cars, you look at car numbers.

If you're interested in the relative performance of SUVs, you look at SUV numbers.

If you're interested in the relative performance of high end cars, you look at HEL numbers.

I don't agree with the notion that the focus should ONLY be on cars, but I don't agree with the notion that the focus should ONLY be on overall sales either.
    I didn't use the word scary. You did. Go check the posts

My bad, Docnukem is the culprit!
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    Brightness was getting that from another Bloomberg article:

Reposted Link

Toyota already sells 50,000 units a year of the four luxury Toyota cars it plans to rebrand as Lexus models.

Later, it states:
    The carmaker, which produces four in 10 vehicles on Japan's roads, sells the the Lexus IS as the Toyota Altezza at home. The Lexus GS is sold as the Toyota Aristo, the Lexus SC as the Toyota Soarer and the Lexus LS as the Toyota Celsior.

Sorry, no Corolla.
    Does anyone think that Infiniti can build a successful (12,000+ annual sales) Q?

Or is the brand too lacking in prestige to be successful in the HEL segment, no matter how good the car is?
    Yup, I am the culprit. But if I were the CEO of a company that went from a 99% growth rate over one 5-year span, then dropped to 20% over the next (what is that, a 3%/year average rate?), I would be troubled...particularly when my competitors were sailing.

My unstated (sorry) concern was that the growth deceleration was due to reliability concerns. Ask Jaguar, but those tend to take some time to correct (like turning a barge--or, as Hpowders would say, "an LS430").
    The reality is that the four Toyota sedan models (equivalent to IS, GS, LS and SC) outsold all MB and BMW models even when they were marketted as Toyota's

Altezza, Aristo, Soarer and Celsior were and are Lexus models and are included in the 50K figure below. So let us look at the following numbers:

Lexus = 50,000

BMW 35000 + MB 45000 =80,000

So based on that data where is Brightness getting Lexus sales exceeding both MB and BMW sales?
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Yeah...BMW would probably be better off doing what they do best-sport sedans, and leave the $100k category to automakers who emphasize luxury over performance.
    People spending that kind of cash are looking for luxurious appointments over performance. I have to admit, this is really not where BMW belongs.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    So, are the IS, GS, SC, and LS... Toyotas?

OR!

Are the Toyota Altezza, Toyota Aristo, Toyota Soarer and Toyota Celsior... Lexuses?

You know what they say about a rose by any other name. Before any of you Lexicans get bent out of shape, I could care less if I had a Lexus and someone called it a Toyota. You gotta go with it because that's what it is.
    I think you said before yourself, that when you go into a showroom you don't care how brand x,y,z have been doing saleswise. That's a sentiment I basically agree with. When you're shopping, you're shopping for yourself, for the vehicle that best meets you personal needs, that is "best for you".

When we talk about sales numbers, would you agree that we have moved out of the realm of "what's best for you personally"? That we're really looking at "what has been best historically for the buying public"? At least, that's my interpretation of why sales numbers come up on this board. If merc1 buys a MB at some point, I know its because it is the best FOR HIM, and can't dispute what's best FOR HIM, after all.

So if we are looking at sales numbers to answer the question "who has best served the buying public", it seems to me that it would make sense to look at things on a cars-only basis if the buying public only bought cars.

Even if you think it is "interesting" to look only at cars, for whatever reason, I think the numbers would only really make sense if people never cross-shopped say, a BMW car vs a BMW SUV. I know that's not true from personal experience. When I bought my first Lexus, an RX (which I still own) I also test drove an E, GS, and LS.
    Judging from the M, they can, but they don't have much wiggle room. A fully-optioned M is approaching 60K MSRP. In order to recover sales, they will have to offer a redone Q at a price advantage over the LS.

Also, the M has a larger interior than the current Q. They need to be careful not to try and make something too bloated (trying to stay on the performance/sporty side of things, yet offer more space than the M)
    Sure. The LS is a Toyota despite the angry uproar on this board to the contrary.

Toyota has instituted one of the greatest snake oil schemes in business history and shows that you can fool most of the people most of the time.

Wonder what the Toyota executives think about the gullible Americans?
    Looks like growth rate is inversely proportional to price. Is the less expensive brand of cars here more inclined to grow?

High prices didn't keep MB from substantially outgrowing Lexus and BMW "in cars" in the 1995-2000 period.

Also, in other markets, it seems to me that retailers that are carry higher-priced goods often outgrow more mainstream retailers. Example: Whole Foods.
    Maybe you should give equal time to trashing Audi for its VW connection?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    The 101K Discount on the Maybach was advertised loud and clear (bold print) in the NY Times by Ray Catena a few weeks ago. I noted it with a post at the time of the ad.
    Was this a executive driven re-sale model?
    As I have said here many times, I have never driven the Audi A8.
    I do not talk about cars I have never actually driven.
    I hope to in the future, and if I find the Audi is an over-rated rip-off, I will deem it the VW A8.

Also keep in mind, if you are happy with the LS, nothing anyone here says to the contrary should really matter.

Like I have also written here before, I hope the new LS improves upon its driveability factors. The luxury aspect, we all know will be a home-run.
    I will definitely be checking it out when it hits the showrooms.
    advertised as brand new.
    I started posting total vehicle numbers, and still maintain that that is the most rational way to look at things. Yet when the German side responds by talking about car-only numbers, I'm not allowed to talk the same way without being called hypocritical?

If you read what preceeded the "hypocritical" statement, then you would understand what was hypocritical.

I'll say it again:

"The reason why some Germancarfan asked for just the 5-year car numbers was because some Lexicon said that the reason BMW has increased its sales over the last 5 years was just because they started selling SUVs."

And my point: "You can't say you must include SUVs when you're talking about total units sold, then turn around and discredit BMW's growth because they introduced SUVs."
  • grandaddygrandaddy Member Posts: 66
    Frankly, I consider it a good thing to call the Lexus a Toyota. What's the fuss about? Now if you tried to call it a BMW or Mercedes, then I would be outraged.

What I wonder about is what the Germans must think about all the pseudo intellectuals in this country fawning over (and paying premium prices for)what they use as common domestic taxi cabs!! Now that's funny!!
    that the $65,000 545 model that I drive is being used as a taxi cab.
    The $118,900 760Li too?

I wonder what qualifications make one a "pseudo-intellectual?"
    I guess, someone who writes English well and disagrees with you.
    In that case, count me in! I wear the mantle proudly.

Wow! I have to start getting over to Germany more!
    advertised as brand new.

That's like Tiffany's having a three for one sale. That does sound desperate.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Stats:

MB: 95-2000=99%, 2000-2005=20%
    BMW: 95-2000=46%, 2000-2005=45%
    Lexus: 95-2000=28%, 2000-2005=49%

MB sales/growth goes from 99% --> 20%
    BMW sales/growth goes from 46% --> 45%
    Lexus sales/growth goes from 28% --> 49%

OK, we got the stats.... Now comes the spin

German cars are doing fantastic... Take out the cars, and they are far out-growing Lexus... Jurgen was MB's problem, and now that he is out, its full steam ahead for MB sales.... higher prices led to decreased sales for the German brands.... Lower priced Lexus led to increased Lexus sales... and on and on ....

---------
    MB sales are primarily from C-class ($30 - 45K)
    BMW sales are primarily from 3-series ($30 - $45K)
    Lexus sales are primarily from RX/ES ($30 - $45K)
    ---------

MB has 5 C-class; 4 E-class; 5 S-class; 3 CLK, 2 SL; 3 CL; 2 M; 2 R; 1 G; GL (?): 2005 sales = 224K
    BMW has 5 3-series; 4 5-series; 3 7-series; 2 X5; 1 X3; Z3/Z4; 1 6-series, 1 M3; 1 M5: 2005 sales = 266K
    Lexus has 2 IS; 2GS; 2 RX; 1 ES, 1 SC, 1 GX, 1 LX, 1 LS: 2005 sales = 302K

---------

Which car company is truly doing the best darn job of all 3 ? Seems kinda obvious, isn't it ?
    Frankly, I consider it a good thing to call the Lexus a Toyota. What's the fuss about? Now if you tried to call it a BMW or Mercedes, then I would be outraged.

Now there's a man who knows what he wants, knows what it is and appreciates the benefits of what it is. Good answer.

As far as my car being a taxicab, it's the best darn cab I've ever been in!

Hey, I hear some German cop cars are Porsches. Are we supposed to feel bad about that too?

;-)
    I am willing to acknowledge that Lexus is doing the best on the spreadsheets and so is Toyota. Thus, I extend congratulations to those who have financial and emotional equity in them.
    I hope the new LS improves upon its driveability factors...

The LS430 would never be mistaken for a 3- or 5-series sedan, cars you are most familiar with. What the LS430 is is a world-class luxury sedan far and above a 3/5-series, and as the links to the comparos show, better than many of its German counterparts, including the 7-series. Last I checked, the 7-series is an all-around better car than either a 3-/5-seris. If the only area that you find the LS430 weak IYO is driveability, turns out many more people don't consider this a weakness. Or put another way, many more people prefer the LS driveability to the 7-series driveability. That should tell you something, doesn't it ?
    OAC - Note that the big slowdown in MB sales growth came during a period where prices were reduced - starting with the $10K reduction on the resdesigned S-class in 2000. Now the S is being reduced another $1.5K. What's crystal clear is that MB prices need to fall a lot more. Too bad there wasn't a way to "Short" MB sticker prices.
    OAC - I have to wonder if anyone who says the LS is a Toyota in disguise even knows how the LS was developed from scratch in the 1980's. Based on those inane comments I doubt they have a clue.
    wasn't it called a Lexus in Japan?
    I have to wonder if anyone who says the LS is a Toyota in disguise even knows how the LS was developed from scratch in the 1980's. Based on those inane comments I doubt they have a clue.

Sounds like a good subject. Maybe I don’t have a clue and perhaps you would be kind enough fill me in. I’d be more than interested to hear. Anything to get away from the repetitious contentiousness in this place. I thought the discussion about long-term sales figures was interesting until it descended into the muck as usual.
    Designman:

To learn about the LS story, take a short trip to your nearest Lexus dealership, venture into the Service lounge area and you'll find a copy of the book sitting around. If you cannot find one, simply ask for it, I am sure someone would provide it to you. Spend 10, 15, 30-min leafing through and you'll be amazed at the Lexus LS story. That car was built so meticulously, and to the highest standard possible. That gave it a huge leg up in its debut. The Germans could not find anything wrong with the car, except to ignore it and assume it would not hurt them any.

I figure you'd better read for yourself than have me regurgitate the story on the HELM board.... Could be so boring, you know...
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    "Toyota has instituted one of the greatest snake oil schemes in business history and shows that you can fool most of the people most of the time."

This comment is rediculous. You're complaining that the Lexus owners are getting annoyed, and then you turn right around and insult our intelligence. Americans are badge and status concious. This is in no way Toyota's fault. Europeans, generally, are not. If they were, the same company that sells commercial trucks, airport shuttles, etc, would not be able to get away with selling the S600 under the same badge. Can you imagine if Mercedes tried to sell a competitior to the Ford E350 shuttle van here? The American Benz owners would go ape. It would absolutely destroy any prestige that having the 3-pointed star on the hood brings. In Europe, nobody cares.

Also, you're forgetting to call Lincoln, Cadillac, Chrysler, Saab, Buick, Acura, Infiniti, and Audi, who do the EXACT same thing as Toyota does with Lexus "snake-oil salesmen".
    Thanks Oac. That’s exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. I will look for the book the next time I get a chance.

Could be so boring, you know...

It wouldn’t hurt to give a synopsis of sorts. If someone doesn’t want to read it they can just move on. In my opinion nothing is so boring as repetition around here.
    You are correct there! Plenty of snake oil to go around.
    I did not mean to insult anyone's intelligence.
    The car is a quality vehicle, whether I like it or not.
    I just wonder why Toyota called the LS a Toyota in Japan but felt it was necessary to establish the prestigious Lexus department over here.
    Nothing to do with the vehicle. Everything to do with the marketing.
    It wouldn’t hurt to give a synopsis of sorts. If someone doesn’t want to read it they can just move on. In my opinion nothing is so boring as repetition around here.

Funny.... But for you Designman, I'd consider it a honor to give you some synopsis... Watch out for it...
    I wonder if there is a chapter in the "Lexus Story" explaining why a Japanese Toyota had to be renamed "Lexus" over here.
    Somehow, I don't think that chapter made it to print.
    OAC - And to add to the story about the LS - much of the perfection and expertise built into the development of that car then found it's way into the Toyotas (so in reality some of the German car fans have this whole story completely backwards). What is interesting is Toyota quality and build standards, which were fairly high to begin with, went through the ceiling after the LS debuted and spurred on the rapid growth of the company that continues today. That's why I say these posts are so inane and make the posters look so bad to anyone who knows better. The lack of knowledge is akin to a NY sports fan saying baseball in NYC started with the Mets.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    is about to self-destruct with the insults that are being flung around here.

Can we try to talk about the marques as the title says we are here to do? If we can't stop attacking and/or insulting each other, there's not much point in continuing.
    That's why I say these posts are so inane and make the posters look so bad to anyone who knows better.

What did I miss here? What is it about this book that proves all Germancarfans wrong?

Because the LS is a Lexus despite being a Toyota?
    Because a Lexus book in a Lexus dealership will give us the ultimate unblemished truth about the Lexus LS? :confuse: :confuse:
    When I first started seeing people on these boards refering to "enthusiasts" I wasn't that clear on what was meant and so started to think about what it MIGHT mean. I thought it MIGHT mean someone that cared about the car itself, with an emphasis on performance aspects. I thought it might mean, in other words, "THE CAR", and NOT the badge it wore or the history of the company that made it or anything unrelated to performance, and, perhaps, styling and the overall ownership experience. Isn't it the car, and what it can do for you now, that matters?
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Isnt the answer pretty obvious? A large part of owning a Lexus isnt the car, its the ownership "experience". Lexus dealerships are seperate from Toyota dealerships. They are (comparatively) very low volume, and very personal. Toyota dealerships are zoos. Who wants to spend $50 or 60K in that kind of envinronment?

Dont you think if all of Toyota's products were sold at the same place, the people buying Camrys or Highlanders would be very upset at the level of service people buying "Toyota LS430s" were getting that they themselves were not? Do you really think a Toyota dealership is going to come to your house to pick up a Corolla for service?
    Part of the reason Toyota didn't start with Lexus (as separate from Toyota) in Japan was pressure from the Toyota dealers there. It was in one of the links posted earlier in the day. If I find it, I'll repost it.