Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'm glad you all like the pics. Not much work in posting them. The hardest part is taking them with so many people around!

From the the 2007 model year onward all of Mercedes diesel cars will be legal in all states - according to all the recent press. They're just waiting on the mandatory clean diesel to be available nationwide. The S320 I was told will be a 2008 model.

Airmatic is standard on all S-Classes so no choice there, but any problems with Airmatic were solved back in 2002-2003 production. Nothing to worry about there IMO.

The S-Class looks better in person IMO than in some photos, especially in AMG trim. What gets me is that it looks better in real life photos than in the ones Mercedes initially released.

M
    Well I think of it as part treat for car enthusiasts and part exposure for new products. They know that of the 1.2 odd million people that storm the halls at Detroit, Chicago, New York or wherever aren't going to run out and buy a car next week, but it does give people and idea of what to put on their short list I think.

Detroit is the most important for the U.S. auto industry and the domestices have to make sure they dominate it if for no other reason than to save face. If they start getting lax at participating in autoshow the domestics will really, really be in deep trouble in the minds of everyone, not just industry observers.

M
    What do you think of the Aston Ripade Concept? I know you said some unforgiveable things about the Aston DB9 before...lol, but I'm curious to know what you think about them adding two doors to it?

M
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    The elitist arrogance of the Lexicans is really being poured on thick.
    A shame they always get so defensive.
    The Steelers will wipe the smiles off of those Sea Hawks although this prediction is not etched in stone.
    You are absolutely correct. The reasons for the LS' enormous success in the HELM world is an extraordinary combination of reliability and extremely savvy pricing-it has been no accident that the LS was designed to look like a MB and be priced lower HELM for HELM.

Neither of these things should change with the introduction of the new LS 460.
    Add a successful re-styling to the mix and you have a real winner here, much as it pains me to say so.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Before I was even old enough to drive, the Mercedes and Jaguars were the ones that were special to my eyes. (Very young, I had a red Jaguar XKE replica on my shelf that I thought was the world's most beautiful car!) I always thought of Cadillacs as a GM "joke" on folks that needed to "look" rich, and I will admit that back then the Lincoln Continental did catch my young eyes for some reason, but that did not last too long.

After driving age . . . I thought the Austins and the Triumph TR6 were "cool" (don't really know why, and never owned them), but the Porsche was actually the first car to truly excite me as a driver. I still love the Porsches, the Jags, and the MBs most of all. Guess I'm not that complicated.
    TagMan
    should be a GREAT game.

Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price. Reliability. Price.

Do you hear something over and over again . . . or is it just me?

TagMan
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Tagman - let me enlighten you that Merc1 has a habit of posting sarcastically over the years so I posted sarcastically back. It's too bad you got mixed up in this as I thought we had some clasy posts exchanged until now.

As for sensitivity - note that a Euro board had to be started to escape the Lexus crowd (who respected the exclusivity) but it seems it's a failure with only 30 or 40 posts a month. Take Lexus out of the equation and lux car talk loses all excitement and seems to get rather dull.
    I'm not mixed up in anything. Our posts are fine and will continue to be so, even if we don't agree on everything. I have said again very recently that the Lexus is a viable choice as a HELM and I definately agree that it does make for a better forum when it is included. No doubt about it. You good with that?
    TagMan
    Tagman - let me enlighten you that Merc1 has a habit of posting sarcastically over the years so I posted sarcastically back. It's too bad you got mixed up in this as I thought we had some clasy posts exchanged until now.

What did I say that was sarcastic? You tried to imply that one has to be a buyer to understand Lexus' ability to price or where they will price their cars. I say that isn't true at all. Where is the sarcasm?

I don't think you were being sarcastic in the least, you were serious in stating that one needs to be a Lexus buyer to understand their pricing.

M
    Well for me it has historically been Mercedes, Ferrari, BMW, Porsche and Audi. Recently Porsche and Audi have moved ahead of BMW on my desireability scale. Though I still want certain BMWs. Still though I just like European cars in general the most. From Japan INC. I still like Acura, but Infiniti is #1 out of Japan for me now.

M
    As far as the rice-burners go, I like Acura, too. I have a hard time liking Nissan, though. Even back when they were marketed here under the Datsun nameplate, they were never as good as the Toyotas, truthfully. And I still think that they are not as good a product in terms of engineering and quality. The newest Acuras, BTW, according to Honda corporate, will be true Acuras (not Honda derivatives) starting with each new model from now on.

To me, the most significant thing coming out of Japan, Inc. is the hybrid. They will kick serious hybrid butt for a while, and I truly applaud them for it. Of course, things will change over time.

On a side note, I am SO freakin' anxious for the Mercedes diesels to hit all the models in all the states.
    TagMan
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    we're getting way too personal, folks. You can not like what someone else has to say, but responding in a personal manner is not the thing to do. Let's keep our comments focused on the cars and the marques and not each other.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Acura is nice, but I've only really started to notice their products within the past few years. The one car Acura got right in the beginning was the Legend, and then they took a huge step backwards with the RL, which they then took a decade to replace. The fact that the last NSX off of the line had basically the 1991 interior was also rather pathetic. They didnt even bother to change the "ACURA" logo on the steering wheel. Their pre-'04 interiors were also painfully cost cut.

The most interesting thing by far that Acura has done lately is the turbocharged RDX sport ute. The four in the TSX could really use that turbo.
    From what I've seen, I like the RDX quite a bit, and expect it to sell well, IF they stay in the 30's as planned. Lots of latest features included for the $. Should also get decent MPG, which is getting to be more and more significant to car buyers at all tiers now.
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    Manufacturers don't only reach the people who attend the show.

Thanks to the internet, details of new cars and concept cars along with rumors from the show are reported in real time.

Think of how many people the various Edmunds topics about the Detroit show have reached.

All this adds up to a lot of free pubilicity.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Exactly! That's MILLIONS of advertising dollars saved! The price for an auto show display is paltry in comparison.
    Also, its only real competition at this point is the BMW X3, which it should undercut by thousands. I think Benz has backed off of the B-class in the US for exchange rate reasons, and Lexus, Infiniti, and VW are still working on their challengers.
    Good point. The new RAV4 will likely be considered by the mags to be a competitor, but it's not nearly the vehicle. The RDX could be a MUCH bigger hit than expected.

The Acura name will improve, I believe, with new models such as the RDX, and next generation MDX, (NSX will only be an icon model), but a really GREAT flagship may still be a ways off. In the Japanese luxury arena, Lexus is practically untouchable, IMO.

TagMan
  • bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    Good point. The new RAV4 will likely be considered by the mags to be a competitor, but it's not nearly the vehicle. The RDX could be a MUCH bigger hit than expected.

There is no way that people shopping for BMW, MB, and Acura would lump Toyota (not Lexus) into their small SUV search. The RAV4 appears to be a nice vehicle, but it isn't (and isn't meant to be) in the same class as those others. To consider the RAV4 a competitor to the X3, maybe the B-Class(?), the RDX, and even the RX330, is just crazy....
    I agree, the RAV doesnt count. Its fairly nice in Limited trim, but nobody is going to call it a "luxury" cute ute. The RAV competes in a pretty full class, CR-V, Murano, Forester, etc. The compact, luxury SUV segment is new, and for the moment your choice is the X3, or the X3.
    Just TODAY, a friend of mine, who's wife wants a small SUV, looked into the new RAV4, and discovered that it was not available with navigation. He asked me if I had an opinion on an alternative for his wife, and I happened to mention the upcoming RDX. I showed him the info on the Acura website and he lit up.

So, while I agree that they are not in the same league, it is clear to me that people WILL climb the ladder to get to a higher tier. And, as I mentioned, you can BET the auto rags will have some crazy mized up SUV "head to head" comparos of different models. They always do.

Read my original statement carefully and note that I clearly said the RAV4 is "not nearly the vehicle" (as the RDX). And, of course, the X3, etc.

Just a note: this is not really HELM material, IMO, but I want to be courteous and reply, so this is my last post on this.

TagMan
    Considering all the news generated by Ford today, I am wondering what they intend to do about Jaguar?
    The new S-Class is a serious vehicle. I can't wait to test it. The Jaguar as a "vehicle" is not in the toilet, but the company financials are perhaps. The latest generation Jaguar XJ series is a beautiful car and receives many great reviews. I love the XJ. The Audi will continue to improve, IMO, but I would not buy one. The BMW's are respectable, and I like many things about them, but I am not a BMW buyer at this point. The Lexus LS is a viable choice, as I have said, but I have not liked the styling up to now. At this point it is too early for me to rule out the LS460 because I have not had the opportunity to put it to the test. When I do that I will make up my mind. I'm not thrilled about the pics so far. If I WERE to consider the Lexus, I would ONLY consider the long wheelbase version or the hybrid.
    TagMan
    There is no real forum category that I am aware of for discussions about Luxury SUV's. I am still interested in the Mercedes GL diesel variant. I keep getting mixed information about the availability of the diesel in the U.S., but I am fairly confident it will show up eventually, but am concerned that it will not be cleaned up enough for California's (and some other states as well) tough standards. Lexus SUV's are totally based on the Toyota platforms, and, while very nice, they've got those Mickey Mouse third row flip-flop seats. The new Mercedes GL, however, will have fold-flat power third row seats. That's the right way to do it. I've got to believe that Lexus will address this dysfunctional shortcoming in future models. But, just what ARE their future SUV's? This is definately one area where I would seriously consider a Lexus, IF IF IF they could only build a civilized third row seat.
    TagMan
    I agree. I used to rely on Autoweek for fast and timely news, but even then you have to wait a whole week for a new issue. With the net once a press release or new photos are released they pop up instantly somewhere.

M
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    It gives me no joy to tell you all that I have decided to take leave of EDMUNDS on a permanent basis. I will miss the forum, the debate, the passion, the good and the bad times, but I need to move on. To my fellow Lexicans, pls keep up the *fight*, and to Germancarfans, don't let up :) Its the give-n-take that has made this forum one of the very best on Edmunds. I plan to not return or even bother to visit Edmunds. Sad as that may be, but a decision that is long overdue for me personally.

Maybe we'll *see* each other elsewhere away from Edmunds... I look forward to that...
    "In what has been common knowledge....Toyota announced on Monday that it would compete in the 2007 NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series using the Camry name..."

Think of the sensation Toyota would make if they used an ES 330 instead of the Camry!

A hotrod Lexus loaded with shine outrunning the revenuers in the hills of Georgia........
    Scott,
    Now THAT sounds like fun . . . I'm going to stock up on the mosquito repellent right now! :D
    TagMan
    I was just kidding: I don't see Lexus in NASCAR.

But: what if someone had predicted 5 years ago that Toyota would join NASCAR?
    I thought you're idea was funny. I was kidding too.

Remember the days with the races like the "Camel GT"?
    There's not much going on with Lexus SUVs right now, they are busy with cars. There will be a new GX and a new full size to finally replace the LX based on the new Tundra, but those probably wont be around until near the end of the decade. Lexus' schedule through '08 is pretty full.
    Frustrating to wait so long. The third row is essential for my family's lifestyle and I guess that leaves the GL . . . but even then, the wait for the diesel might be a while. I want this next SUV to be the "right" one.
    The writing was on the wall as soon as Toyota joined the Craftsman truck series. What can Toyota learn about making a better Camry from a carbureted, push-rod V8 powered slot racer with a Camry shell on it? Absolutely nothing, just like the domestics. The key difference here is that while Detroit continues to make Nascar richer while getting absolutely zero ROI, Toyota's very obvious motive is to further drive the point home that they are America's car company.
    I agree: Toyota is not signing up with NASCAR to develop modern technology.

Toyota wants to capture that 'one-of-the-good-ol'-boys' aura that NASCAR exudes.

Also, Toyota wants to reach the NASCAR fan base. This an audience of millions of people who are not traditional Toyota/Lexus buyers.
    NASCAR is so successful now. It is EVERYWHERE.

More brilliance from Toyota to be a part of it.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    More brilliance from Toyota to be a part of it.

I wouldn't call being this late to the party "brilliant".
    I wouldn't call being this late to the party "brilliant".

What would you call it?

After all, NASCAR isn't about to end anytime soon. So, it's not really "late" in the game . . .it's ongoing, will be for generations. Just getting involved, particularly at a time when Toyota has now become one of the big ones, makes sense to me.

I suppose the risk would be that they don't fund it appropriately and that they end up looking pretty sad . . . then it would backfire on them.

In the racing world, Paul Newman historically did some good things for Nissan, and certainly HONDA has done absolute wonders for themselves recently. So . . . here comes Toyota?
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Good Luck to you...Tony
    If you mean what you said Oac, then this post will probably go unread.

Anyhow, I have always enjoyed reading your posts, and hope you change your mind and visit here from time to time.
    Don't ever take any of this stuff too seriously.

Best of luck to you!
    IMO it isn't being late to the party: it is arriving at a party that is going strong and shows signs of lasting for some time.
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    It may be a smart decision, but "brilliant" just isn't a word I would use given that they aren't the first or second company to join in.
    I retract the word "brilliant" and replace it with "smart".
    ;)
    TagMan
  • turnbowmturnbowm Member Posts: 76
    oac,

Sorry that you feel the need to move on. Wishing you the best.

Martin
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Oac, Even after reading your farewell message several times, I can't pretend to understand the basis for your decision. I can only say that I truly hope it is part of a plan for a positive change in your non-Edmunds life, and that the plan will accomplish what you intend it to do.

Thanks very much for adding to my knowledge of these cars.

Regards,

Gary
    For the first time, I saw an S 550 being driven in traffic today. I was coming up on it from behind, and I just knew I needed to get a closer look at this interesting Mercedes, and sure enough, a beautiful S 550. The wheel arches were in no way too large, as many pics and discussions about them may have suggested. They were just fine, and the car had a wonderful elegant look to it. Very stately and balanced. Not too dramatic either. Very nice and fresh. Looked very good in motion as it was driven. I am now certain that the styling is a winner. Can't wait to get an even closer look, sit in it, and drive it myself.
    The order at which Toyota joined is really not important. This is all a marketing play, they dont even have to win any races. They win just by being there at all. Nascar to Toyota is just a form of advertising, specifically targeted at exactly the people who would ordinarily not consider their products. The $100+ million they'll be paying Nascar in order to race for them is chump change. They spent a lot more than that just to talk about how great HSD is.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Glad to hear your positive reaction. Was it a light or dark color, and do you think that would make a difference?

BTW, when did sale of the S550 start in the US? I thought the release date was not until some time in February.
    The actual on-sale date is the middle of Feb, but every dealer has one or two cars for test drives. Those cars arrived about 2 weeks ago.

M
    It was a gun-metal gray metallic color. Sort of a dark silver. Don't know the official name for it. I think this car will be a killer in black, however. Platinum silver always works, of course, but truly this car will stand out in black.