Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I've never had one in my life. Therefore I would say your postulation is unsubstantiated speculation. :P
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Holy smokes! We have a winner! . . . by a knockout!

who can top THAT?

:D
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Sales of the BMW 7 series increased 23.3% since January 2005.
    On the other hand, sales of the Mercedes Benz S-Class decreased 13.3% since January 2005.

As a side note, sales of the E60 were up a whopping 42.8% since January 2005!

The BMW success story continues to unfold, thanks in no small part to Chris Bangle and his amazing designs.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    It's really hard to say at this point whether moving up into "semi-exotic" territory will work for Jaguar or not. If they can do a Flying Spur for $100K, they might have a shot. Jaguar can't win a tech race with Mercedes and Lexus. The nice thing about moving above that level is that it gives them some breathing room, where the latest and greatest electronics won't be as important, and they can afford to have design cycles longer than 5 or 6 years.

If they want to compete with Maserati and Bentley though, the 4.2L AJ-V8 has to go. Jaguars will need to come standard with a minimum of 400 horses, and offer a lot more than that. The "XJ12" name also needs to come back. A V8 with a blower on it is just not the same.

Their interior quality also needs to get about 5000% better. The '07 XK is a definite step in the right direction, but they'll need to do better than that to best the Quattroporte, S600, etc.
    When I consider the success of the Range Rover, in spite of what are off-the-scale poor reliabiity statistics, it makes me think about the XJ Porfolio and its styling, and what could be possible for Jaguar. It's got to be about style. That is what it always was and that is what it needs to be. The word "gorgeous" that they use for their marketing campaign, needs to be true, without fail. That is why I mention Range Rover. It presented itself with a style that could not be resisted by many in spite of its horrible reliability record. And, again, I emphasize STYLE as a major key, IMO. As far as technology, they already have enough of the basics covered . . . with bluetooth, touch-screen navigation, voice-command, etc., and with Ford's resources, I think they should be able to have any sufficient additional technology that might be needed. In my opinion, I think price will be a huge factor. Personally, I wonder if they shouldn't actually LOWER, not raise, the price. The car (XJ and its versions) would stand out as a steal if they did that. It would generate sales momentum and recognition. But, if they go to very limited production and high prices, I think it could be the end of them. (Unless a new style emerges that is drop-dead irresistable). Tough one indeed.
    TagMan
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    First, I want to mention the IS's total hotness, as I should have gave it an Honorable Mention, since I was in a discussion of general styling between marques, Japan vs. German. It is a close second to the 5-series, and better-looking than a 3, which is alright.

And my #2, the sales numbers for Mercedes-Benz last month: January January Monthly YTD YTD Yearly
    Model '06 '05 % 2006 2005 %

C-CLASS 3,098 3,548 -12.7% 3,098 3,548 -12.7%

E-CLASS 2,465 2,725 -9.5% 2,465 2,725 -9.5%

S-CLASS 923 1,064 -13.3% 923 1,064 -13.3%

CL-CLASS 68 135 -49.6% 68 135 -49.6%

SL-CLASS 528 677 -22.0% 528 677 -22.0%

CLK-CLASS 1,126 1,225 -8.1% 1,126 1,225 -8.1%

SLK-CLASS 619 881 -29.7% 619 881 -29.7%

CLS-CLASS 901 778 15.8% 901 778 15.8%

R-CLASS 686 n/a n/a 686 n/a n/a

M-CLASS 1,962 980 100.2% 1,962 980 100.2%

G-CLASS 93 88 5.7% 93 88 5.7%

GRAND TOTAL 12,469 12,101 3.0% 12,469 12,101 3.0%

Call me crazy, but I see a trend. Or a motif? :confuse:

I like the M-Class' me-too styling, but when the Johnny-Come-Lately is carryin' the ball for the ENTIRE BRAND, there is no joy in Benzville!

DrFill
    A little perspective please. The model line-up has gotten a little . . . well . . . tired. The new M's positive sales show that a freshening is what is needed on the other models as well, and it is coming. The new S-Class will do well and the new E and C will follow soon, but should be sooner, IMO. The new GL will be helpful with little competition, since it is a three-rower, and we've already discussed the dysfunctional flip-flop third row seats in the Lexus SUVs. The CLS will do OK, and I believe that a new SL is in the works, but again, should be sooner. So, Doc, is it my imagination, or are you hoping to see some trouble for Mercedes?
    They will eventually work their way to better times with newer and even better products. Heck, they have to. (A wild card could be their diesels, if fuel prices go crazy, and if they could supply enough of the engines, but that's just a long shot.) Not the best numbers, that's for sure.
    TagMan
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    there is no joy in Benzville

Somehow I think that the germancarfans will find a way to profess happiness with those numbers. Like, MB showed an increase over January of last year.

I guess the M-Class accounted for 982 units of the total MB brand's 368 unit increase.

Ummmm...maybe SUVs do count for something! ;)
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Same thing every year with Mercedes' Jan sales figures. They always start off very slow from Jan-March, yet this is touted as some type of negative trend or crisis even (by some in the past). This has happened every year for the last 2-3 years on this board, yet when the year-end totals are counted up MB still posts a gain over the previous year - no matter how small it may be percentage wise. Hype lives! This hype would have you under the impression that all of a sudden buyers have turned away from Mercedes-Benz in one month because in Dec 2005 they moved over 31K units, second only to Lexus' 35K units.

tagman,

I wouldn't worry about those sales figures, Mercedes always has a slow Jan and Feb and it every years this is always seen as some type of crisis. Nothing more than hype from the Lexus camp because year after year MB's sales pick up dramatically in the spring/summer months on their way to putting MB ahead of the previous year's totals.

M
    I appreciate that.

Seperately from the stats, don't you agree that the line-up needs some quicker freshening, and maybe even a little "housekeeping" in a couple of spots?
    My point wasn't a personal dig at your "tastes". I just didn't (don't) understand how the new S could be so ugly when the 1995-2000 LS400 and 2001-2006 LS430 weren't. A style question, nothing more.

As much as I've said negatively about the current CLK before its facelift and the Maybach, you of all people should know I wouldn't cut a truly ugly Benz product a break because it is a Benz. Did you forget this? If I truly thought the S-Class was ugly I'd be the first to say it like I did with the Maybach and 2003-2005 CLK320.

M
    Seperately from the stats, don't you agree that the line-up needs some quicker freshening, and maybe even a little "housekeeping" in a couple of spots?

Sure. A new C-Class and a facelifted E-Class would help a lot. BMW and Lexus have the advantage of having newer sedans in each category, especially Lexus. As DrFill points out all of Lexus' 4-doors are new for either the 2006 or 2007 model year. That will likely translate into breathtaking sales numbers for Lexus in 2006 and 2007, but they'll also be under the gun to refresh and re-design all 4 of their sedans around the same time again in 5-6 years. BMW has a similar situation with their oldest sedan being around from "only" 2002, while the outgoing S-Class goes back to 1999. What other changes do you think they should make? This will be a big year for MB even without and all new E or C-Class. Everything else either gets a facelift or new engines that will account for a better than average (for the last few years) sales gain over 2005 IMO.

M
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    Mercedes sales were up 3% in January over a year ago. The new S along with the restyled SL and E should add volume later in the year. MB will IMO have a good year.

Luxury cars are selling! In January Lexus cars were up 36.9%, Cadillac cars up 33.4% and BMW cars up 23%.

Truck sales for Lexus, Cadillaac and BMW were weak in January.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Where do you see me using the word ugly. I said I didn't like it but I also said I thought the car had a beautiful silhouette but was overdesigned and henced being overdesigned ruined its looks. The overdesign is in the wheel arches and the trunk. Too many parts calling for attention can ruin a cars design just like spoiled superstars can disrupt a team that is great on paper. The flow is lost. That's how I feel about this S - take out the arches and fix the trunk and the car would look great to me. I don't find the car to be ugly - I just don't find it to be good looking.
    "As DrFill points out all of Lexus' 4-doors are new for either the 2006 or 2007 model year. That will likely translate into breathtaking sales numbers for Lexus in 2006 and 2007, but they'll also be under the gun to refresh and re-design all 4 of their sedans around the same time again in 5-6 years."

But technically there's a weakness in your argument as it that means Lexus just went through the period you're theorizing about in the future (correctly in all likelihood) with very healthy growth. In truth the real answer continues to be something that MB missed - the SUV phase. Lexus can much better balance out its line-up changes because of the the vehicles that many here so often want to exclude - SUV's. Stale cars - new suv's; stale SUV's - new cars; plus a strong wildcard - hybrids. In the US they have much better balance than MB right now and it shows clearly in the sales numbers and what happens when models go stale. My instinct also tells me that if Lexus rolls out a minivan it will do a lot better than the R-class. The issue for them though is the fear that it might cannibalize the RX.
    One other point and dare I say this but does anyone think MB is disappointed with its' SUV sales? A 1900 unit month is not that healthy of a run-rate - IMO - and I thought I read they were hoping for 30-35K unit sales per year.
    New and improved SUV's from Lexus, if TRULY improved as they genuinely and sorely NEED to be, could be a windfall for Lexus. I remember someone posting that there were no new Lexus SUVs in sight for a while. Too bad.

The Mercedes diesels are still lurking, and could be big.

Regarding the R . . . it is a sitting duck. (And gives MB a bad look).
    Why you have to take the food off my plate!

The words out of my mouth! :cry:

Lexus knows the market, a lot better than Mercedes does.

Besides juicing up this forum, I also posted those numbers to show a general trend. At Lexus, cars were down in 2004, but SUVs were up big! New record.

In 2005, cars were up big, SUVs stayed strong, but leveled off. New record.

When everything but one vehicle is taking a dive, that says somethin'.

Ford sold "only" 52k F-series! But Fusion AND Mustang AND 500 were up. You can be more optimistic.

The facts, the numbers say more than I can about where a couple of companies are headed. Mercedes will ALWAYS be Mercedes, but I see someone movin' towards the Head of the table, and someone who is scouting out a Booster Chair.

DrFill
    You are tootin' a little loudly, Doc.
    ;)

Lexus knows the market, a lot better than Mercedes does.

never chalk up experience . . . who has more?
    The R-Class needed to get 1000 units to show me this thing is going to make it. It came up well short. It's had plenty of press, plus the Auto Show season to stoke interest. Those are weak numbers, regardless of month, for a brand new Benz.

I'm still holding out hope the Lexus HPX concept will get on in 2008. That would be HOT! Sore it in NY in 2004. Unreal!! :shades: Please make it! :blush:

DrFill
    I think you are looking at model year 2008 for the new LX and 2009 for a new GX. The GX is selling very well and has exceeded their expectations completely. It's a very popular SUV in my town - you see them everywhere - and everyone I know that has one loves it. Lexus hit the mark with it even though I totally agree with you on the third row and as well, the stupidity of the back door swing out.
    With the HPX? :shades:

DrFill
    DRfill - I was there at the NY show as well and that HPX drew in a lot of interested people and excitement. But the issue is will it cannibalize the RX? Personally I don't think so but I can appreciate some serious reservations about that issue at Lexus HQ.
    Yes, my environment, (and I think I'll stay discrete here) is LOADED with 'em. Then again, disproportional number of MB's . . . everywhere.
    "never chalk up experience . . . who has more?"

In the SUV market - Lexus (3 touchdown favorite when they meet on the field)
    That rig was BIG! MUCH larger than the Infinit FX or RX330, or new M-Class. Similar to the SRX (which I like), but cooler!

That has $50-55k all over it!

Maybe they don't want to add another SUV, even a CUV, to prevent overkill.

DrFill
    I was really only referring to MB's long legendary history of making and selling autos . . . After all . . . who goes ALL the way back to the beginning of automobiles? It's not Lexus. But, again, I was only making a point . . . no need to debate it.
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Oh, I'm sure that it wouldn't cannibalize the top-selling RX... and it wouldn't make any sense for them to make a minivan. First of all, what would they call it? MX? Mazda would obviously sue them- maybe VX, but Vauxhall? They won't- the Sienna is already "Lexus-like."

Also, the RX isn't stale anymore. Along with the popular RX400h, the RX350 was just released. It replaces the RX330 for the 2007 model year and it has 270 horsepower (the same as the LX470's V8!).

;)
    Well you don't have to use the word "ugly" per say. Saying that any of the styling elements are awful and/or that they ruin the design is pretty much the same thing to me when it comes to styling. If it isn't good looking then that leaves ugly or bland, or as you put it "overstyled". Either way it ain't good for the S in your eyes.

M
    But technically there's a weakness in your argument as it that means Lexus just went through the period you're theorizing about in the future (correctly in all likelihood) with very healthy growth. In truth the real answer continues to be something that MB missed - the SUV phase. Lexus can much better balance out its line-up changes because of the the vehicles that many here so often want to exclude - SUV's. Stale cars - new suv's; stale SUV's - new cars; plus a strong wildcard - hybrids. In the US they have much better balance than MB right now and it shows clearly in the sales numbers and what happens when models go stale. My instinct also tells me that if Lexus rolls out a minivan it will do a lot better than the R-class. The issue for them though is the fear that it might cannibalize the RX.

Well for one I think the SUV boom is over, it will be all about maintaining at this point. Yeah the Germans missed it in the past, heck Audi is just now introducing a SUV nearly 9 years after Mercedes did. Whenever a brand re-designs all of their sedans in a year or so their sales are going to shoot through the roof, if that is the position then yeah they are in better shape than MB. I think I said just that in my post earlier tonight.

M
    It amazes me how one months of sales (while ignoring other months) are now going to be used as the determining factor as to whether or not the R-Class is going to "make it". Why is that? What part of Jan is historically a slow month for Mercedes isn't understandable here? The R sold over 2000 units in Dec 2005 and if I remember right over 1200 units in Nov of 2005. If it doesn't pick up when Mercedes' sales traditionally do (March/April) then all of this gloom and doom might be in order, until then this is nothing more than hype.

M
    merc1 - the R is not good for Mercedes, IMO. Beautiful cars that are admired as we see them in our daily travels are the best advertising in the world. Real life. In real life, the R is ugly. I'll use the word. I don't mean to offend you, but in my opinion, it's strange looking and out of balance. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I just don't think so. I personally don't want it to represent Mercedes Benz. I want to see Mercedes Benz to be known as a builder of reliable, and durable, and beautiful luxury vehicles, regardless of how many vehicles it sells. I want Mercedes Benz to be known for its innovation and engineerng prowess. And, to a large extent that is still the reputation. But, the reliability is down . . . but not down the drain for goodness sakes. The styling is generally beautiful, classy, and elegant, but with the occassional mistake (even the recent C coupe was bad) like this R thing. What do you suggest Mercedes do with it? It is an anchor, IMO, that they could do without. Maybe kill it when the GL comes. Is there another market for it?

If you sense that it is a success, please explain, because I'm hating it right about now, and I wish it gone.

TagMan
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    January is a slow month for all manufacturers (pay back time for all the end-of-year discounting). Just seems to be especially slow for MB this year, compared to its venerable HELM peers.

R class sales was brisk in December when they had that $499/mo lease deal. Cheapened to the price level of a Lexus IS, R (one letter position from S) is not a bad deal. The deal was removed on the website since Jan 1st, now we know R class sales in January crashed. hmm . . . sounds like typical consumer response to old GM tricks: hold onto the money till there's heavy discounts.
    No you're not alone in not liking the R-Class. I'm the one that is alone (at least on this board) in liking it. I don't see it as a "success", but dropping it though is out of the question. If sales never pick up over the production run it could be dropped then, or re-designed to better meet market demands. I can certainly understand you not liking the way it looks compared to Mercedes' cars, but I think the price/interior/value equation is out of whack. This being the reason for it not selling up to expectations. For 2007 there will be some attempt to fix this from what I see on various MB sites. Of course there will be a new V8, either a R450 or a R550 or both. The things I dislike about the interior will take more time to fix. I think there is a market for the R-Class, but the execution is likely off, similar to the first M-Class I think.

You're right Mercedes is known for those those things, all except for the reliability part. I really think they're trying to fix this, but once the word gets out it takes years to change it back in the right direction. Those who have no experience with this, but live to hype it up don't help either.

M
    Just seems to be especially slow for MB this year, compared to its venerable HELM peers

No slower than last year when all this false gloom and doom was touted then.

I agree the sale did move them better in Dec, but the R's sales had been steadily gaining since the mid-Sept intro. I don't see it as a failure, yet.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I agree, the only thing that can really be the saving grace for Jaguar is unquestionably gorgeous cars. Despite being 10 years old, the outgoing XK is still a very good looking car. If it looked like the SC430, I'm sure that sales would've dropped to zero years ago. It makes me wonder if Ian Callum is the right man for the job. The new XK is good looking, but it looks as much like a V8 Vantage as it does an E-type.

Talking about the current XJ, I'm not sure where the pricing should go. Is it still the '80s Jags that are killing the market value of a two year old XJ? Or does the market just not believe the car is worth the retail price Jaguar is asking?

As a longer term strategy, I just dont think that trying to sell XJs in the $50-70K range can work, and I think that is the conclusion that the PAG management has come to. Ford has resources, but they have a lot on their plate to deal with. Jaguar is only a small part of that. In contrast, BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus can throw their full might behind their flagships, and redesign them every six to seven years. Even the beleaguered VWAG has managed to give Audi a lot more attention than Jag has been getting from Ford.

I think the smarter way to go is to let the LS460, S450, 750, and A8 4.2 duke it out on their own.
    That doesn't sound right. Both Lexus and BMW are updating their model ranges on 5-6yr cycles, whereas MB is working on 8-yr cycle (e.g. your S class example). How did that get turned into an MB advantage? We all know that new models sell, old ones do not (without outrageous discounting anyway).
    I think there is a market for the R-Class, but the execution is likely off, similar to the first M-Class I think.

The M was off, but not so derailed. And consider how long it took to dial it in. The R has a LONG slow road ahead, doesn't it?
    In your haste you clearly misread that post, the advantage is with Lexus and BMW, not Mercedes. The S-Class is a 7-year car just like the previous 7-Series was.

M
    The M was off, but not so derailed. And consider how long it took to dial it in. The R has a LONG slow road ahead, doesn't it?

If they make real changes in engine/equipment for 2007 and it still doesn't sell, then yes.

M
    But the back end . . . Yikes!
    Lexus and BMW are experiencing same-period sale growth that is an order of magnitude greater than MB . . . if this keeps going for a few years, MB will cease to be major HELM concern.

I agree the sale did move them better in Dec, but the R's sales had been steadily gaining since the mid-Sept intro. I don't see it as a failure, yet

R-class experienced massive price erosion between Sep and Dec. MB tried to stem the subsidy in January, and sales fell off the cliff. That is bad. There is never doubt that at a low enough price point, any car can be "sold" or simply given away; the whole point of having a High End Luxury Marque is to charge premium. R class proves to be unable to sell without massive margin squeeze.
    Lexus and BMW are experiencing same-period sale growth that is an order of magnitude greater than MB . . . if this keeps going for a few years, MB will cease to be major HELM concern.

As well they should, both have newer lineups, especially their sedans. What is the point here other than to just repeat the same things over and over? We all know this.

R-Class - Been there said that, dead horse being beaten.

M
    I think the smarter way to go is to let the LS460, S450, 750, and A8 4.2 duke it out on their own.

You may be very right on that one. That's enough reason right there to change demographics and climb into an entirely different ring.
    Lexus and BMW inctroduce new vehicles, and their sales volume skyrocket despite charging nearly MSRP with hardly any discounting; MB introduces new vehicles (the R), and they can not move iron without massive discounts (not just the usual dealer discount, but massive factory subsidy) as if the cars were 5-yr old phase-outs. That is indicative of a severe marque problem.
    whoa, give it a little time. The S is going to do very well, and the GL will do very well and the M is doing fine, the E and C will be at the end of cycles with newer metal shortly, and you only mention the R. brightness, I've seen you do this before . . . play with the stats, call it a severe marque problem. It doesn't change anything. At some point not too far off Mercedes will have a newer lineup and you'll see how it creates a surge for them.
    Man can you change that record? Again, we all know this! The R-Class not selling does not idicate a severe marque problem - that is ridiculous. The CLS and SLK didn't have that problem and neither will the S-Class. Such a statement is nothing more than unsubstantiated hype at its best. This is exactly what I'm talking about on this board. Mercedes has one model that doesn't sell well upon introduction and it is a "severe marque problem", yet other recent introductions have done very well. This is nonesense brightness and you know it.

As far as Lexus and BMW, if Mercedes had redone all of their sedans in such a short period of time they'd likely see a similar sales increase also. So easy to neglect the details for Lexus and BMW's success and paint the worst possible picture for Mercedes. I guess I should expect no less here.

M
  • scott1256scott1256 Member Posts: 531
    It seems to me that DC management is now very aware of the reliability issue and how it is perceived by the market.

Now that it is being taken seriously it will be solved.

The 'Mercedes break down all the time' echo chamber will keep the story alive as long as possible.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Merc's correct in one sense: by definition, it takes time to prove long-term reliability issues (as opposed to initial quality problems) are actually resolved. In J.D. Power terms, IQS is measured in first 3 months; dependability is measured at 3 years. Next JDP report on dependability won't come out until June, and it will cover 2003 cars - it may well be a couple of more years before MB's more recent initiatives will show up in these studies (assuming they make a difference).

Improvements in initial quality should show up first, but that's not really the same thing. I remember how Schrempp was saying that they were going to add more Quality Control inspectors at the end of the production line, when everyone with half a brain knew that the problems went deeper than that. MB's IQS improved in '04 and '05 compared to '03, so although not the same thing, that doesn't augur well for its dependability ratings until the June 2007 study comes out.

Until then, anecdotal evidence will hold more sway, and we all know that unhappy owners are more vocal than happy owners. But Merc, please don't try to blame Japanese car fans for MB's lost reputation for reliability; MB squandered that on its own! :sick:
    garyh1 - I don't go as far back as some of you on this forum, but I don't recall that point being made before, and it is an interesting and important one. Considering the fact that there is a "lag time" between the progress that might be made in terms of reliability and the actual date to report it is something to seriously take into account. It just makes it even harder to overcome the reputation that can accompany any previous problems. There is the lag time to compile and disseminate the data itself, as you have indicated, and then there is the harder-to-measure time it takes to change people's perspectives. If improvements are not made in a timely fashion, then it takes even longer to change people' minds . . . like turning an oil tanker. Fortunately for MB, I believe consumers have been very forgiving, but only to a breaking point, of course.
    TagMan