Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• dl_c32dl_c32 Member Posts: 16
    With 1000 on the clock, city is at 19-20mpg and Fwy is at 21-24mpg. I will think it will gets better once it breaks in. It does better than I expected and better than my C32 (of course).
  • rinkwiderinkwide Member Posts: 6
    Hold down the "e/m" button AND the "mode" button until the value resets.
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    the owners manual is very "here a little...there a little" and very confusing to find the information your looking for it and need to get it right away, but if you read the manual like a novel like i did last night you'll find a lot of information in it that you just don't get time for to learn about at the dealership when you purchase the minivan. but the question still stands...

If you reset the average mpg gauge just before you set out on your trip, will it be more accurate in predicting your mpg then if you did not reset it before the trip?
  • sxdesantsxdesant Member Posts: 10
    Resetting the mpg calculator before a trip will have no real effect. If you can multi-task while driving, hit the mode button one time to read the instantaneous reading. When you are not accelerating, the reading will be somewhere in the 50 to 60 mpg. This number is being averaged into your overall driving time. This biases the reading high. I have played with this for a year. Eventually decided if Toyota fixes it great, but otherwise it is not worth telling the dealer about it.
  • info4uinfo4u Member Posts: 9
    Have a 2001 with 50,500 miles. Average approx. 19 mpg around town and 23.5 - 24.5 all highway driving at approx. 65 -70 mph. During travels have noticed that the state in which you buy gas has definite effect on mileage. Best one so far has been New Mexico where I always get 27mpg on a fill up.
  • kywildcatskywildcats Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible to get 29 MPG with a Sienna Van on the highway as the window sticker claims?? I have a 2001 Odyssey that consistently gets 27 MPG on the highway at 70 MPH, sticker says 25, so, I would think that the Toyota should get 30 to 31 under the same driving conditions, I am considering buying either a 2004 Toyota van Or a 2005 Odyssey, Thanks
  • buckeyedonbuckeyedon Member Posts: 46
    With those astounding gas figures on your HO, buy the '05 HO. Just hope Honda has added some sound proofing to make future drives more tolerable than in current models.
  • kywildcatskywildcats Member Posts: 2
    I hear what you are saying about the road noise, even after replacing all of the OEM radio speakers with good ones, we need to turn radio to a higher volume to supersede the road noise. I drove a 2004 Sienna XLE Lmt and it was very quiet, so, we will wait & see which one wants to deal, but, gas mileage is very important since all reports indicate $2.00 per gallon this summer.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Actually they just reported this morning that gas price decreased this past week. Definitely wait for the 2005 Odysseys to come out. Plus it will give you more time to see if the Sienna has anymore first year issues, like the fuel tank and tranny. Plus I think you will see more then just additional insulation in the 2005 Odyssey. The Sienna is outselling the Odyssey so far this year. I don't expect Honda to take that lightly.
  • lena132lena132 Member Posts: 56
    If you look at Odyssey's 2004 section. There is a picture that is REALLY close to the 2005 Odyssey. Tell you the truth, it looks very much like the current Odyssey. But a bit more refreshed. Same shape, looks like the same size. That might attract or repel customers. I think there's also not as much features then on an XLE Limited. I think the Sienna is well equipped but it seems that some people think that Toyota overdid it on the Sienna.
  • laundryguylaundryguy Member Posts: 89
    With 860 on the odometer on new 2004 Odyssey, 3rd tank delivered 21.44 mpg with 160 miles highway, 134 miles city in cold upper midwest. Last van (95 Windstar) delivered 20 mpg city and 24 mpg highway) over the life of the vehicle. Last van mileage improved up until 40,000 miles - then held constant until 100,000, before tailing off.
  • dchdch Member Posts: 4
    Took a trip from Western, Pa to Cleveland (180 miles) with the climate control on outside temperature was 80 degrees, I got 28.5 mpg with this unloaded van using 89 octain gas.

Yesterday I took a trip from Western Pa. to Columbus,Ohio with the climate control on AC Off 200lbs of cargo loaded outside temp 40 degrees. Taking the back and winding country roads to Pittsburgh and down to the hills of West Virginia and going 70mph where I could. Made the 280 mile trip and got 27.8 mpg. God I love this Van.
  • avelectroavelectro Member Posts: 9
    Just returned from a Phoenix-San Francisco round trip and I am happy to report better mileage than I expected. We were fairly well loaded with four full-size adults, a week's worth of luggage, and picnic supplies (we avoid restaurants when possible). The first tankful got us almost 500 miles @ 26 mpg. That included a couple hours of bad traffic and awful pavement in northern Los Angeles. For the return trip, we took SR-99 through Bakersfield, across the Mohave to Needles, then down to I-10 via SR-95. The longer return route required two tanks of fuel, one @ 27 mpg and the last @ 29 mpg. Fuel was the recommended 87 octane from Chevron, Exxon, & Shell ranging from 1.99/gal in Phoenix to 2.49 in Ludlow, CA. We had the A/C running most of the time except after Needles, the sun had set and we could open the sunroof and enjoy the night sky and cool air. Upon leaving Phx, the odometer read 1400 miles and now it reads about 3700 so this trip may have been a good break-in for the engine. Before this trip, I replaced the factory-fill 5W-20 with Mobil 1 5W-30 and three tankfuls of around-town trips (suburban driving) averaged 22 mpg. The optional roof rack was not installed and the rear spoiler had not arrived in time for this trip, but the 2004 MPVs come standard with a GFX package which I suspect helps the highway mileage. Whatever is causing the higher-than-expected mpg numbers, I am happy with it!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Here is what I saw from Mazda's FAQ webpage ...
    Does Mazda recommend the use of synthetic oil?
    No. Mazda does not recommend the use of synthetic oil. To determine which oil should be used for your specific model, consult your Owner's Manual.
  • rickc5rickc5 Member Posts: 378
    We picked up our new MPV ES last Thursday. On the very first tank of gas used, we got 21 MPG, most city driving. Much better than we had hoped, as the engine is not even broken-in yet.

As far as using synthetic oil, let's not forget that the Mazda V6 is really a Ford V6. Plus, I have never heard of synthetic oil actually harming any engine, but it may exacerbate oil leaks. I plan on using synthetic once the engine is broken-in, say 8000-10,000 miles or so.
    Regular unleaded 87 Octane
    60/40 Highway / City miles
    950 miles on van now
    22.0 mpg calculated

25.0 computer calculated
    Any idea why such a big difference between your calculation and the computer's?
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    If memory serves me these programs take a snapshot of MPG every 30 seconds or so. So at that one instant the car may be averaging 25 mpg. The next instant the car is averaging 20 mp. so in the 1 minute period the average would appear 22.5 mpg. In actuality you may find that the two measurements may be during acceleration and deceleration. If you were to check the gas used and the distance traveled it could be 19.0

These automatic MPG calculators are estimates. the only way is to measure actual mileage vs actual gas. If you leave it on for about 300 miles you get a pretty decent comparisons, but it is still an estimate. I would hazard a guess that after 3000 miles there would be less then a 5% difference
    but for what i've read and heard others say, it's almost always reporting better than actual.

it's a very optimistic vehicle!
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    Who would ever write a program that makes the car look like a gas hound? :-)

Someone once gave me a comparison; 'listening to the manufacturer explain the benefits of a gizmo like this is equal to asking a 16-year old boy how far he should be allowed to go on a first date.'
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    for those of you getting 25+ mpg in your oddessy; what tire pressure are you using?

I've never got over 21 mgp on the highway ('02 Oddy) and I drive quite conservatively around 70 mph. I tend to keep the tire pressure around 35 psi
    pretty consistent!

hoping for steady improvement as the miles rack-up...
    Anybody have experience to know when it would be the optimal time to reset the trip computer so as to get the best indication of actual average gas usage?
  • kinkokinko Member Posts: 48
    CRV: 24-25 MPG, 50/50-city/Highway.
    Camry: 27-28 MPG consistently, 50/50-city/highway, it gets 40-42 MPG, 100% highway when speed stay around 70-75.
    Both subject to 10% cut in MPG during winter.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Those two vehicles aren't vans. This is the VAN mileage posting board.

I have been averaging right around 18 mpg for city driving and have been able to get 25.5 mpg on all hwy driving in our 2002 MPV.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good idea to bring the SUV mpg discussion back:

SUV fuel mileage - Feel free to participate

Can't help w/ Sedan mpg :-)

Steve, Host
  • ralphj2ralphj2 Member Posts: 3
    I checked highway mileage on my 2004 Sienna after a recent road trip. The Sienna has close to 6K miles on it. The mileage calculated to be 25 mpg. The road speed was a consistent 65 mph.
    Did your trip-computer register 30 or 31 MPG?
  • tabbeanbootabbeanboo Member Posts: 10
    Just returned from a trip to Florida (started in Eastern PA). Avg driving speed was 70 - 80. Had the tires rotated before leaving and tire pressure was exactly 36lbs. Used Mobile One (5w-30w recommended by the dealer). I switched to Synthetic oil @ the 10,000 mile mark. Odyssey was loaded with luggage and 5 people. We averaged a tad over 28 mpg. We are more than pleased with our Honda.
    Still battling the cold and snow in Upper Midwest. In combined city/highway averaged 22.0 on last 3 tanks with six in the car and some luggage running 70 -75 on the highway. Changed oil after this past tank, expect improvements with 2500 miles on the dial. Getting 28 doesn't seem achieveable in this vehicle like earlier post. Would be happy to get to 24 combined city highway and 26 on the highway. On a more positive note, the acceleration of this vehicle is phenomenal for a van.
    Keep in mind that number 1...I don't lie...no reason to...number 2...please chk post number 380,
    422 and so on.....Remember that by switching to synthetic oil you will improve your mpg over regular oil...I do have over 10000 miles on the vehicle so you can pretty much consider it broken in.....all the driving was "highway" not downtown.....I did use cruise....the weather was beautiful and last but not least ..I do hope that you also obtain the mpg I and others on this board are receiving.
    God Bless
    Definitely not calling you a liar or any of the other folks who posted. Not questioning whether specific Odysseys can achieve that mark (28 mpg highway), just questioning my own individual vehicle as there is statistically variation between engines, speed (I drive 65 - 70 mph), differences in gas (I use 87 octane with 10% ethanol most of the time), load factors (630 lbs people + 100 lbs luggage in this van), weather factors (wind, temp) etc, equipment (this van has no roof rack but a trailer hitch) that may cause this particular van not to get there.

I have yet to take it on a truely "long" trip - full tank of 100% highway, but have had mixes as high as 80% highway and getting 22 mpg in cool weather (20's to 40's) without a loaded down car. Car not fully broken in either (2500 miles at this point) and of course the oil you mention (I'm using standard 5W-30 as of first oil change - not sure what came with it). Last van increased mpg all the way to 40,000 miles before reaching peak mpg.

Just telling it like I see it as evaluated at 2500 miles in early spring in upper midwest. Could be a different story in 3 months if warm weather ever makes an appearance (warmest temp for year is 64 F and only for about 2 hours).
    We did travel some pretty flat territory...also ran 87 octane....the odyssey calls for 5w-20w which I can only find in one brand name (synthetic). I checked with the dealer and they suggested I use 5w-30w....so I went with Mobile One.....I was also wondering why Americans don't switch to synthetic oil? Better mpg and the perfect way to put the hurtin's on the Arab producers......I'm sure there is a ton of oil changed in the engines every day....if we just cut back there it would be a big difference without even a sacrifice on our part...think about that?...better mpg and using less oil to boot :>)
    SO I suggest everyone here convert to synthetic
    motor oil made here in the USA....your thoughts?
    BTW...gas in South Carolina was 1.57 gal.
    God Bless
    I'm not sure that the benefits of synthetic justify the expense, especially since I already change my oil every 7,500 miles (as recommended in my owner's manual). But a 15,000 mile change interval does have appeal.

Steve, Host
    In its FAQ section, Mazda does not recommend Synthetic Oil even they said it'll void the warranty if one inquires by email. They said the engines were not tested in synthetic oils. I guarantee I will switch to Synthetic if Mazda flashes an 'OK'.

I went back to 3 to 4K miles oil change interval after I read about Camry sludge problem when owners followed the manual said 7500 miles interval.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    (I use 87 octane with 10% ethanol most of the time)

This could be a major reason you are not getting higher mpg. Ethanol has much less energy content than gasoline (about half as much). Using 10% ethanol will cut your mpg by 4-5%. So a vehicle that gets about 28 mpg would only get about 26.5 or so using 10% ethanol feul.

Synthetic oil could add another .5 to 1 mpg. Higher tire pressures also help with mpg (and tire life - see Firestone/Explorer re: low pressures)

If you need verification just look in the EPA guide to feul mileage. All the ethanol feul (e-85) vehicles get horrible mileage.
    when it was recommended to change your synthetic oil once every 25,000 miles? In fact, I had a mechanic at work tell me he recalls it being over 50,000 miles (though I don't). My understanding is that the dealerships got on the manufactures case about not having the customer show up at the dealers for anything! That's when the auto makers started recommending 3,000 oil changes etc. I think what's good for formula one and NASCAR is good for me....my guess is NASCARS tolerances are tighter than ours? BTW...I pull the filter at 5000 miles and top off with more synthetic.
    Seems like the extra-extra long intervals were touted by Amsoil or similar company at one time?

I think the 3,000 mile interval dates back to WWI and some poor motor pool sergeant just pulled the number out of thin air to satisfy General Halftrack. I've never seen a good explanation of just where that number came from, and until I do, it's just an urban legend in my book.

I'm running my own 7,500 mile interval dead dino experiment on my Quest which now has around 95,000 miles on it. Remind me when I hit 195,000 miles (it's gotta still be running, lol) and I'll post "I told you so" all over Town Hall.

If I throw a rod next week, you'll never find out from me :-)

Steve, Host
    I have been using synthetic oil for over 20 years, and change the oil & filter every 5000 miles. I'm sure many folks would say I'm being quite conservative in doing this, and they might be right.

OTOH, I have not had any type of oil-related failure, nor have any of my vehicles (there have been many, of various brands) been oil burners.

I usually use Mobil 1, but have used Castrol if it is on sale.

For our new MPV, I intend to use the recommended 5-20W oil for at least the first few changes, until about 10,000 miles or so. The only problem is that the ONLY 5-20W oil I have found is Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend, @ $1.82 per quart. Has anyone out there found any additional brands of 5-20W?

BTW- A thinner oil can also increase gas mileage a small amount, which is one reason Ford & Mazda recommend 5-20W (that's what I was told by my Ford dealer when we bought a new Expedition in 2001).
    Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2 and Synthetic motor oil probably have lots of 5W talk.

Steve, Host
    A Mazda car or truck that runs efficiently is better for the environment. Here are some tips for driving green.

* Use good quality, energy-conserving (EC) oils with viscosity grade consistent with your owner's manual. Look for cans marked with the symbol ECII, which is the American Society of Testing Materials logo for fuel-efficient oils. Try Genuine Mazda Oil, available at your dealer.
    * Use a fuel with good detergent additive. It will help keep your engine clean and performing efficiently.
    * Use a high-quality fuel with an octane rating appropriate for your vehicle, and use the lowest octane possible.
    * Keep your engine tuned up to keep your car running efficiently. See your vehicle's recommended maintenance schedule for tune-up intervals.
    * Keep your wheels properly aligned. Wheels that are fighting each other waste fuel.
    * Underinflated tires increase rolling resistance, reduce fuel economy, and wear rapidly. Check the vehicle's door-post sticker for appropriate tire pressure.
    * Start slowly, avoiding rapid acceleration. Jackrabbit starts are terrible fuel wasters.
    Drive at posted speed limits. It saves fuel - and possibly a life.
    * Minimize the use of the air conditioning system. Rather than run it continuously, use the vent setting as much as possible.
    * When you get to your destination, park in the shade to reduce the need for air conditioning.
  • kolt1kolt1 Member Posts: 25
    After 700+ miles, mostly rural and highway driving(45 - 60 mph avg). No cargo, usually just my wife and I. Couldn't be happier (with the MPG and the van).

1st fill-up: 22.4 mpg (Costco)
    2nd fill-up: 25.8 mpg (Shell)
  • edinbelgiumedinbelgium Member Posts: 3
    I just took delivery of my van two weeks ago and on the first two fill ups I received 28.5 mpg. That is not bad I think!!!!
    Is that result from car computer or actually meter reading divided by fillup of gas?
    1) Are you really in Belgium, or it that just a handle? If yes, please continue. If no, the rest of the questions don't really relate.

2) Is your Odyssey a US spec version, or some european spec version?

3) If a euro spec, do you have the exact same 3.5L V6 that is sold in the US, or are different engines sold in Belgium?

The reason I'm asking these questions is to ascertain whether the mileage you're getting on your new EX (which is OUTSTANDING!) can be directly compared to Odysseys sold in the US. If you have some sort of unique-to-Europe engine, then US Odyssey buyers will likely never get the mileage you're getting.
    Plus US Gallon is different with Imperial Gallon. Tough mission control also plays the trick.
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Member Posts: 90
    2002 ES - From my MPG tracking, the light kicks in at 15 gal, so there is still 4.8 gal left in the tank.
    Last week I got 24.9 calc. mpg. up from 22.5 the preceeding week...

my thoughts were concluding because of more highway miles i've been driving. It will most likely will drop down to around 23 this week.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    must be down hill all the way with the wind to your back.

there's no way this could be US gallons with a 6cyl honda engine in the Oddysey.

BTW; I have never done better than 22 mpg in my '02 oddy.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    vehicle with 8.5K miles on odometer, tires inflated to spec on door jam:

22.3MPG highway, 75MPH +/-5MPH, A/C on, 2 adults + 4 children (7mo, 2yr, 5.5yr, 6.5yr), 2 bicycles, lots of bags, sand and sea shells, and situated between the roof rails on top of the vehicle, a Kanga "Typhoon" Roof Pouch System 3/4ths filled with luggage.

I think these Kanga brand soft pouches are excellent as they are easy folding at your destination and at home for storing when not in use. they are waterproof. they are easy to get on and off the car. they conform to the roof and can be dogged to the rails easily.

i set it back from the front of the rails a bit so as to not create a major distrubance to air flow travelling up over the hood, windshield and over the top of the pouch.

also no appreciable noise increase nor vehicle drift / controllability issues due to increased drag from the pouch.