Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Lex sales up 21% and cars up 39%. Remember these are cars shipped to dealers not yet sold to the public.

OAC - I wouldn't cede that LS salse crown yet. Lexus will likely ship 4,000+ LS cars a month starting in September.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Touchy touchy Toy people. It doesn't feel so good being in the recall section does it, especially involving a car that the dealers are selling at a 5-10k premium for.

BTW, yes, some LS' have caught fire due to faulty fuel rail assemblies(this model cycle btw). And the link that the Andy dude posted is inconclusive. What are the other 400k cars that are outside of Japan? The Prius is NOT the only American car under this "service campaign", it was also said that all 4.7L equipped Toyota's/Lexuses are too.

I'm in no way bashing Toyota. They are one heck of an automaker and I do admire there consistant drive for perfection, but had this been V-Dub or Mercedes, or ANYTHING European, everyone would've been all over it and you know it.
  • stevekilburnstevekilburn Member Posts: 359
    Oac, you are right. The hype is the problem. BMW relies too much on propaganda and too little on product.
    Look at their record. Their contributions to auto-industry and society:

Quality and Reliability: zero
    craftsmanship and Love: zero
    fuel economy: zero
    performance: zero (except M3)
    luxury: zero
    heritage and antique value: zero (Remember it was Alfa Romeo and Maserati who introduced SPORT-SEDAN to the world NOT BMW)
    beauty: zero
    environmental commitment: zero
    innovation: zero (lot of useless gadgets, thats all)
    safety : zero

Its all zero zero zero. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    An increase of 17% in the US is astonishing in light of the fuel prices and shaky car business. It should be noted that Toyota increased dramatically in May while Ford lost another 2%. And Toyota is on their turf.

Toyota's key is that they've now found the magic potion in operations in America: Keep the product fresh and exciting(Toyota-exciting?) Brilliant.

With the all-new Tundra on the horizon, Detroit had better wake up fast as this is supposed to outshine all others. They narrowly missed the bullet with the Titan's quality woes and bad customer reception, but Toyota is not Nissan.

And if they take the truck market by storm, which has been all-American for quite sometime, depsite the foreign makes, it's all over for the big 3 as we know it.
    Steve, did we get a little carried away with the 0000's. True, BMW has lost some traction on priorities. BUT, it's still a company that is legendary and wears it's name nicely. While reliablilty has suffered(but improved) and the whole Love and beauty thing is purely subjective, performance is very legit when it comes to BMW, and you omitted the fastest player on the block: The M5(just 0.02 secs faster than the CLS 55, but it is faster).

No I'm not the Munich lover I was in the '90's, BUT, you got to remember one thing. BMW AG is the only major luxury player that's all it's own. No VW, Ford, Toyota, GM interference. For good or bad, it still has it's bragging rights.
    BMW is not the only player. There is Porsche too.
    MAJOR luxury maker, not specialty. And with Porsche buying into VW, we'll see how long it remains this way.

BTW, before you reply, I know they have the Cayenne, but it still doesn't make them full-line, maybe when they finally give the Panamera the go-ahead.
    You have to define MAJOR. By what measure are you saying Porsche is not MAJOR. Is 10B$ in sales, 1B$ in revenue not major? Please clarify

Also does it matter whether somebody interferes or not. Product is all that matters. Even BMW is not independent, it depends on suppliers, on ZF for transmissions,

on GM and Daimler for hyrbid systems they are co-developing etcetc
    Steve - Porsche is a great compamy with quite possibly the best niche product in all of manufacturing - but in this space - it is a peanut.
    Here was the sales chart. Lexus was up 9% overall - I misread something before. Amazing though how Lexus has transformed to big car sales this year and this is with an LS on life support given the big changes with the new model.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2006060141005
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Amazing though how Lexus has transformed to big car sales this year and this is with an LS on life support given the big changes with the new model.

Considering what is on the horizon . . . "you ain't seen nothin' yet!"

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    The 7 series sales were only up 5.5% over May 2005.
    The 5 series sales, however, were up a stunning 34% over May 2005.

BMW: Listen to the numbers! You do not make the requisite bloated luxo-barge which is what most HELM buyers expect.

Get out of this market and concentrate on creating serious challengers to the Boxster and 911.
    That's where you belong!
    Get out of this market and concentrate on creating serious challengers to the Boxster and 911.
    That's where you belong!

You have already made your point . . .
    but are you going to try to shovel it again and again, "Steve"? ;)

TagMan
    Has a nice rhythm to it.
    They should make it into a jingle. ;)
    The point is the numbers show the 7 is a HELM failure, bearing out my thesis.
    It's always nice to see the real numbers.
    Onward and upward, BMW!
    Out of the HELM's and into the serious performance sports car arena!

I feel a migraine coming on. Did you say SSSS...teve? :sick:
    I'm not talking what it makes in revenue/profits. If that's the case, Audi wouldn't need VW.

I'm talking about whose calling the shots. Nobody but BMW calls it's shots.

And on co-development, didn't Porsche share Tiptronic with other Euro makes, and now in the process of probing Audi for DSG? Like ljflx said, Porsche is a big player in this field with it's first-rate sports cars and SUV's, but in this foray, it's a dot in a huge circle

BTW, name one automaker who doesn't have distributors and/or suppliers.
    Out of the HELM's and into the serious performance sports car arena!

If you think that BMW should abandon its 7 series and focus on Porsche-style sports cars, then I guess you would tell Porsche to stop their plans to build the Panamera.

Really, Howard, while your point about the 7 is well taken, it makes terrific business sense to have it, and I believe that the car will only improve over time. I think the 7 has merit even in its current format. In addition, aren't we looking forward to the next Z8 (or Z6, depending on who you believe)?

Chill out. Now you've got Steve telling us that BMW is all 0000's. This is ridiculous. Sure BMW can do a lot of things better (who can't?), but all zero's and killing the 7 are all too extreme here, IMO.

:)

TagMan
    I hate being annoyingly redundant, but oh what the heck....I feel that the HELM realm and BMW aren't a really good fit. That's it.

Our very wise full-time moderator and part-time HELM honor-roll winner smartly reminds us "don't feed the trolls."
    'Nuff said.
    I get your point but the problem is BMW's image would suffer without a car in this class and that would drag down the brand. BMW isn't Porsche - they are a full service business and the 7 has actually sold better than ever the last 4 years. The problem is that the cars marketing appeal is to the low volume end of the segmnent and that area is getting crowded.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I agree. Let me add though that it seems to me that the BMW customer base is bi modal: younger, performance oriented professionals, single or just married w/o kids for the 3 Series and a little later for the 5 Series. On the other end of the barbell is the 7 Series customer who is probably the same age as the S Class customer, i.e, in his 50's and a full generation older than the 3 Series buyers.

I wonder if the M/B and Lexus customer bases are split as widely? I see a wider variety of ages in the C Class than in the 3 Class. This may be BMWs problem with the 7 Series: while they can build and market well to what a young attorney might want, they don't have the same skills at selling to the senior partner.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    But between it's performance dynamic, it's controversial styling, and it's iDrive tech, these will not attract the "Senior Partners", like a more conservative status symbol (S-Class), or a low-maintenance, smart-buy (LS430).

Poured over the sales numbers.

Toyota/Lexus are doing their thing.

BMW having a very strong year so far, but still not enough to eclipse Lexus.

Mercedes GL with VERY strong sales, outselling the M-Class, a surprise to me. I like the new M, with it's RX-style! :)

Chevy Colorado will not sell 100k units, impressively bad for a brand that can attract 600k+ full-size trucks to a 7 year old truck.

FJ Cruiser has sold over 15k units already, which vexes me, since I wanted a shiny new Supra instead! :(

Durango sales down 40%, giving it's business to the new Tahoe.

Solstice days supply: 13 days
    Sky days supply: 2 days
    Mazda3 days supply: 30 days

DrFill
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Say what? BMW drop the legendary 7 so that they can sink down and fight with Porche in the hundreds of cars/month category? Take your 545 on another trip to the mall where everyone can "admire" its Bangle styling, before dreaming up another suggestion like that.
    Yes. You hit on something quite significant.
    BMW appeals mainly to people from approximately mid 20's to 55 max.
    The typical HELM buyer is usually older and more conservative and they will gravitate toward S-Class and LS vehicles.

As I am becoming more of a victim of slow oxidation, I could see the possibility of an LS in my future.
    There will come a time when I will have to have a good hard look in the mirror and realize my BMW days are over.
    At that time I will have finally reached the second plateau.
    Uhh...I do believe you mean "Porsche."

No trouble spelling "Lexus," I would imagine.

What an absolutely fine idea. Nothing much scheduled for tomorrow. Indeed, I will park my 545 right outside of Neiman Marcus. And to think people used to worship idols!
    Important message from the Edmunds' technical department:
    Please use only one :lemon: per post.
    If you continue to use multiple :lemon: 's, the :lemon: - colored dye will fade and will prevent other posters from using this emotorcon in the future.
    Thank you.

Edward Munds
    Technical Designer
  • lexus_jnlexus_jn Member Posts: 102
    Their design and styling is second to none (IMHO...Merc's overall design & styling are often better than Lexus & BMW) but if they don't have a good strategy to improve quality, Merc's image & its reputation will be fading away for the years to come. This article below is just a small explains why Merc is losing some of its loyal owners and I guess it could be a wake up call for the folks in Munich.

http://motoring.iafrica.com/newsbriefs/428991.htm
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    As I am becoming more of a victim of slow oxidation, I could see the possibility of an LS in my future. There will come a time when I will have to have a good hard look in the mirror and realize my BMW days are over.

I don’t know what you are talking about unless you are just trying to tease the Lexicans in which case it is funny indeed.

Where does it say a certain car is for older people? Actually, I believe there are ideally configured cars for them but it has little to do with the brand characteristics we discuss around here. And the more I think about it a BMW would be better suited for them by virtue of its stability and responsiveness.

One of the most painful things I ever had to do was take the keys away from my mother who drove until she was 90. It was a jail sentence for her but was necessary. She loved the BMW and Boxster, relentlessly citing the firm ride and always talked about how she preferred a stick shift because it felt you had control over the engine. She was proof that cars have nothing to do with age.

BTW, during that ordeal of weaning her from the car I discovered that there are absolutely no laws in New York State regarding driving and the elderly. As long as they can read the eye chart like the rest of us their license gets renewed. They can be totally debilitated and incompetent but the State has no recourse to keep them off the road as they do with DWI. I don’t know if this has changed but this was the case back in 2000.

I can’t tell you how painful it was to have to take her car away. She cried on many occasions begging me not to, just like a child who was denied ice cream when all of the other kids got it. She wore her license like a badge of honor. The license itself became a status symbol for her. But I had to do it because of several incidents where innocent people could have been hurt. The last was when she almost took out a row of people waiting at a bus stop. Fortunately no one was ever harmed.
    Yes. That's really tough.
    My mom never drove. She always relied on NYC transit, taxis and as a last resort, me.
    The toughest thing was seeing this once vibrant, never home bundle of energy looking all shriveled up and barely able to use a walker.

In my community, we have several folks in their 80's driving Corvettes, Boxsters and the poor man's version, the Miata.
    Most of these older folks around here drive pretty well-probably a little too fast-as one ages, one gets more impatient.
    However, one poor old soul was stopped by the troopers for, get this, driving a golf cart on Interstate 75 in the wrong direction, mind you!
    Sounds like a future Bush cabinet appointment to me.

I'm 20 years away from being 80.
    I will be driving a LPS, or HELM as long as I am able.
    Still, with almost all my relatives now gone, one can't help taking stock.
    "One of the most painful things I ever had to do was take the keys away from my mother who drove until she was 90. It was a jail sentence for her but was necessary"

Designman - My mother is still a 75mph driver as she approaches her 89th birthday. Last year she got pulled over by police on a 55mph local highway near my home. The cop looked at her drivers license and must have been stunned to see her age. She looks about 15+ years younger. He let her go (it was Mothers day) and told her to slow down. I'm amazed at her abilities as she doesn't need glasses for distance or reading - at that age - and is still an excellent driver.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Here was the sales chart. Lexus was up 9% overall - I misread something before. Amazing though how Lexus has transformed to big car sales this year and this is with an LS on life support given the big changes with the new model.

Quite. Notice that the ES beat the RX in sales? I'm sure it wont last, but it is interesting to see nonetheless.
    Gentlemen - If you wouldn't mind . . . I have a question I need to ask you. I would really appreciate your opinions and expertise on this.

Every "performance" car I've ever owned has had a manual transmission. Sometimes my wife would drive them, and quite honestly, I was tortured by the gear crunching because her good looks don't help her drive one bit . . . they only help me to forgive her. ;)

So . . . after I test-drove the Mercedes SL last Friday, I came home and told her about the drive and she gave me one of those nice smiles and mentioned that a 911 would be nice. OK, so I got the message that she'd prefer a Porsche again. (I think I would, too.)

I couldn't help but have flashbacks of her shifting and grinding those gears, so I started to wonder about the Tiptronic. Admittedly, and maybe surprisingly, I've never driven the Tiptronic or even considered it.

Of course I'll check it out at the Porsche dealer, but I'm guessing that some of you fellow posters know about the Tiptronic. So, please give me the scoop.

TagMan
    I've driven a Carrera S Cabrio with the Tiptronic box. It's not bad, but it's not amazing, either. It doesn't blip the throttle and match revs when you downshift like Infiniti's 5-speed tiptronic, which I think is the best one I've tried of that type of transmission. A 911 with DSG would be fantastic, but I think you're going to be disappointed with the autobox.
    Thanks, lg - I guess, in that case, the next question will be how the Porsche 911 Carrera S Tiptronic compares to the Mercedes SL550. Different animals.

TagMan
    Well, do you want a pure sports car? Or do you want a luxury GT? The tiptronics go well with the SL, or XK, or 6, but an automatic Porsche seems like you'd be cheating yourself.
    I would love to see Porsche abandon the tiptronic and BMW, the steptronic, but of course, it will never happen.
    The Tip is a smooth shifting autobox, probably the best in any Euro car behind the MB 7-G, Audi DSG/Auto 6, and BMW's ZF used in most of their V-8 cars.(Why can't the performance leg of the lux biz get SMG right?? I thought that by now with the M Roadster(Z4) they'll finally give the Boxster something to worry about, but it's still a lame duck. Steve, there's a 000000000 for ya!)

BUT, it doesn't blip the throttle as one would expect in a performance car, much unlike the Infiniti G35 Coupe's automanual, which is probably best in any car behind DSG, but way ahead of F1/Cambiocorsa. And this is why Porsche is working feverishly to install next-gen DSG's in the new Boxter's and 911's.

If I were you, I'd save the $3600 and and add another $4k for the Ceramic Brake upgrade, you know, those brakes that never require service and stops the car in 15 lesser feet than the stock brakes.

All in All, the Tip dithers the fun factor ever so slightly, but it's enough to become noticeable. If you do want a autobox, what until the Audi R8(poor man's Lambo) comes with the lighting quick new gen DSG. Oh and yeah, this one does blip the throttle.
    No doubt it would be a compromise, but I have no experience to know just how bad it would be. In the past I've always had the manual tranny. The thought of the wife driving this one and grinding gears is what I am trying to solve. And don't tell me driving lessons for the wife. LOL

TagMan
    How about the 2 day Skip Barber High Performance Driving School?
    Your wife can learn to drive a Boxster, 911, 330i, M3 or Viper SRT10. Properly!!
    Those guys have a lot of patience. She won't need a tiptronic.
    You can both have a lot of fun!
    Terrific reply with good info.

You mentioned that Porsche is working feverishly to install next-gen DSG's in the new 911's.

Any time frame on this?

TagMan
    I have heard of people driving up until the age of 100. I think most know when to give it up but there are a tenacious few who are in denial and just don’t want to hear it. My mother’s sister was another one who would have caused some kind of mushroom cloud over Westchester if the family didn’t yank the car from her. She was seen driving up over a curb for nearly a block. We nicknamed them Thelma and Louise.

You take for granted their independence and strong personalities. As such it can be difficult deciding on things if their health declines slowly over an extended period, especially if they are rebellious against things like assisted living and nursing homes, wanting to be nowhere but home. And after the car is out of their lives a whole new era begins with their care.

Shortly before my mom passed away last year at the age of 95 she was bedridden with a 24-hour caretaker and home hospice but was still asking me about the car and insisting she could drive. Man, was she a trooper, as feisty and determined as ever.

Sounds like your mom is very healthy and going strong. I hope it stays that way for a long time. Keep an eye out for her. It can be very stressful during that in-between period if they don’t want to give up the car, and even moreso when they have to. Anyway, that was my experience.
    We have to consider that smoothness is in the butt of the beholder. IMO the Tip is a little jerky, definitely not smooth in comparison to other slushboxes. However it is very smooth in comparison to BMW’s SMGII which I wouldn’t want any part of. I have not driven DSG so I can’t comment there. But the auto clutches are a different league and it’s still early in the game for them.

Tagman, I guess the Tip is acceptable if you HAVE to have it because you still get the 911 handling. But I would measure your wife’s tolerance and desire for a hardcore sports car which can wear people out in no time if they are not up to that kind of ride. If she gets the 911, hopefully test drives will reveal exactly what it will be like before buying, this way she will truly enjoy it for the duration of ownership. I agree with hpowders about looking into DE. It could be the factor that bonds her to a 911 and stick.

I also don’t think an automatic is a good match for engines that don’t have hearty low-end torque. Porsches are medium-to-high revving engines and don’t smile until 4k RPM. If you are on the shift buttons all of the time then it’s OK but the auto mode can be tedious.

I have heard that Porsche is about two years from an auto clutch. Approximately 9 out of 10 Porsches (non-Cayenne) are sold with three pedals. As such they are the thee torchbearer for the manual transmission. It will be interesting to see which way the wind blows. From what I can see most Porsche enthusiasts still want the stick.

I thought that by now with the M Roadster(Z4) they'll finally give the Boxster something to worry about, but it's still a lame duck.

It looks like a lame duck but it doean't seem to perform like one. Blkhemi, what have you been reading? From what I have seen the Z4 M Roadster and Coupe measure up nicely against the Boxster S and Cayman S. The edge still goes to the Porsches as the overall better driving machines due to their magical connection to the road but there is clearly an edge with the bimmers’ power. And it appears they are no slouches with handling either. I look forward to driving them.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I have not (knock on wood) had that experience with either of my parents, both of whom are approaching 80, but 20 years ago I watched my father have to deal with trying to get his mother to stop driving after repeated very frightening incidents.

I think that must be one of, if not THE, most difficult things a child ever has to do for a parent. I'm sorry for what you went through.
    It looks like a lame duck but it doean't seem to perform like one. Blkhemi, what have you been reading? From what I have seen the Z4 M Roadster and Coupe measure up nicely against the Boxster S and Cayman S. The edge still goes to the Porsches as the overall better driving machines due to their magical connection to the road but there is clearly an edge with the bimmers’ power. And it appears they are no slouches with handling either. I look forward to driving them.

Don't miss this video. Top Gear puts the M roadster against the Boxster S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5mFe3cLLo8&eurl=
    I was referring to the optional SMG tranny, not the M Roadster as a whole. Get Bimmer's 6-speed stick in that thing and it 'll definetely chirp on the Boxster rear-end, handling and all. The Z4 is a very great little car, and practicality over compromise, it hands down beats the Boxster. But for all out fun without the hospitality, the Boxster wins in a landslide.

The SMG tranny has been plagued from day one. From the previous M3 to the Z, IT(SMG) is still a lame duck. I wish they'll put more D&D in the next generation of this otherwise thoughtful tool. Note to BMW: PLEASE DO AWAY WITH SMG AND ACTIVE STEER UNTIL BETTER CALIBRATION. (How about that one Steve?)

Now, DSG. No question, the best around in the biz. And this is not because of my Audi-bias either, no sir. Think about the littlest TT 3.2 and how it turns that thing into a virtual rocket simply because of it's gearing.

BTW: Porsche is said to be installing DSG for '08 in Europe with a possible US launch in '09/'10 when all of VW's product has some sort of DSG tranny available as an option, even the Golf's/Jetta's/Bettle's(Side Note: I even hear that we'll get the awesome launch control that Ferrari is shivering in their boots not to send over). I have read that all will be available with DSG except Turbo and GT2 variants, with their race-oriented performance make-up. One question tho: If DSG can change gears twice as fast and hold/match revs better than a manual, wouldn't that somewhat fulfill the mission even better?
    Great video, and I am surprised at the outcome. I figured the 0-60 would have been the only thing the Z4 M has in its favor . . . but its overall handling seems impressive indeed, although it seems to me you have to wrestle with it a bit to keep the tail in check on extreme cornering, unlike the Boxster S which makes easy work out of extreme cornering, and therefore reducing the thrill somewhat.

Thanks,

TagMan
    Thanks for the info and your perspectives on the Tiptronic. It's also about her (wife's) frequent use of her cell phone . . . and she is reluctant to use a hands-free device, thus even more shifting problems and safety issues.

I admit that I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too, but I know I'm only kidding myself. Somewhere in the equation there may need to be a compromise.

The SL550 would solve it, but it's no Porsche, and I guess the Tiptronic is just so wrong for a 911. Oh well, I'll have to think on this for a while.

TagMan
    Applausable video link. The BMW is a very fun car. But I do have one gripe with the host of the show. He says that the Boxster will never sound like the BMW. HMMMM? The BMW I-6 does have a unique tone to it, BUT the Porsche flat/boxer 6 has a bellow that is undeniably Porsche and perhaps best behind a Ferrari's bark.
    The BMW I-6 does have a unique tone to it, BUT the Porsche flat/boxer 6 has a bellow that is undeniably Porsche and perhaps best behind a Ferrari's bark.

You are absolutely right about that. The first time I opened up my Boxster I was so delighted with that unique howl. It was always so particularly available in 2nd and 3rd gear. So satisfying to hear it.

Good point.

TagMan
    Well, thats a subjective thing. He also says the Z4 looks better than the boxster, which I dont think is true at all.
    As I make the inevitable transition into the autumn of my life, I regret 2 things:

1. I have but one life to give for my country.

2. I can't fit into the driver's seat of a Porsche Boxster.