Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well lets go back to the beginning of the Maybach issue. The car was originally intended and labeled "The Maybach by Mercedes-Benz". The original concept car shown at the 1997 Tokyo auto show as a grand Mercedes really close to the spirit of old "600" MBs from years ago. Then.....

BMW and VW got a hold of Rolls and Bentley repsectively so Mercedes decided to switch up the program (i.e. make a mistake) and make "Maybach" a seperate brand. Since the car was originally designed as a Mercedes there was little time to change it into something truly unique so they were pretty much stuck with what we see today.

Now I would guess you're looking at the 175-190K price range because of what Bentley has been able to do at that price right? The difference is that Bentley doesn't have to compete with anyone else from the VW empire at that price. As it stands with Maybach the 57S which is the sportiest Maybach is really rendered pointless on paper by the faster, betting handling, more techincally advanced S65 AMG. Part of the reason the current Maybachs don't sell is because the S-Class really puts them in the shade functionally. Sure you can get more space in a Maybach, but the S-Class holds all the cars in everything else, even in name recognition because lets face it Maybach doesn't really ring the bell nearly as loud as "Rolls-Royce" does or even "S-Class". You say either one of those and people know exactly what you're talking about.

A cheaper Maybach in the 175-190K range would do one of two things; would make a car like the S65 pointless or the cheaper Maybach would render itself pointless if it isn't crushingly superior. Either way one of them loses, IMO. Maybach should never go below the price of an Arnage, around 235K or so below that and you risk making the pricest S-Class models a hard-sell.

Now you did mention what I was thinking, maybe a S-Class shouldn't costs 190K in the first place, that is something to think about. Either way they can't overlap, even if it means getting rid of the S65 AMG or keeping Maybach more exclusive in the 225K+ realm.

M
    Fact is purists and HELM are not synonymous.... no matter the sugar coat and negative spin you try to put on it. Here we discuss High End Luxury Marque, or call them FULL-SIZE LUXURY SEDANS... That's the lil fact that you fail to grasp. There are no cars in this forum that a purist cares about.... so spare me the sermon about purists and who knows/does not know squat about nothing... Yes I'll repeat myself... you are no purist, simply an idealist, IMO !

You read so much into a discussion (no one called you anything!) for the sake of not having to deal with the points that were raised. Also, where did anyone say that HELM automatically means purist?

You're right there is no sense in discussing this with you because you can't seem to get past this group of sedans when we're discussing entire brands and/or the companies that own them. All this babble about Mercedes and Dr. Z only applies to HEL sedans? One minute we're talking about Dr Z and and what he will do with Mercedes-Benz and how the purist will react and/of they will be please, and in the next purist don't care about HEL sedans. Makes a whole lot of sense except for the fact that "Dr Z" is in charge of much more than the S-Class!! He runs MB and that is where the "purist" angle came in. You got it confused with how you think a "purist" would want a S-Class or some other HELM sedan to drive. You're the one that got it confused.

Another thing, I didn't say I was a "purist" your fellow Lexus fan did. You don't seem to know what a purist is when it comes to what we're talking about here.

Let Lexus start doing cars like the original IS300, making a "Lexus" out of a mere "Toyota" and you'll grasp the meaning of the word and take the "purist" attitude really quick.

M
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Now I would guess you're looking at the 175-190K price range because of what Bentley has been able to do at that price right?

Absolutely correct.

As you explain the problem, however, Maybach's competition becomes Mercedes itself, and frankly, that's unacceptable to me.

Maybach needs to be considered a competitor to Bentley, RR, etc., and therefore manufactured, priced, and marketed as such.

Otherwise, it just becomes a continuing dilemma.

TagMan
    I agree, which I why I think they need to stay comfortably above any Mercedes models. About 225K is as low as I'd go with the Maybach brand and that car needs to be something the S-Class isn't. What that is I dunno, but a unique look would help.

The part that gets me about the whole Maybach thing was that some at MB felt that "Mercedes-Benz" wasn't prestigious enough to compete with "Bentley" and "Rolls-Royce" anymore, but yet they elected to slap the "Mercedes-Benz" badge on the A-Class and B-Class vehicles, which do nothing positive image-wise for Mercedes. Someone at MB forgot that Mercedes-Benz back in the day had no trouble competing and in many cases surpassing the best Rolls and Bentley had to offer.

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    "According to Auto Motor und Sport, the new Maybach 51 (with the model number indicating its 5.1 meter length) will not grace the marketplace before the 2009-2010 timeframe.

The 51 is said to be targeted at a price point north of $250,000 at current exchange rates, positioning it against the Bentley Continental Flying Spur and the upcoming small Rolls-Royce.

The magazine reports that the mini Maybach will be based on the Mercedes-Benz S-class platform, giving it access to a choice of V8 and V12 powerplants. Both sedan and coupe versions are planned."
    I dunno. I'm all for using the W221 platform, but it can't look like a warmed over S550. Secondly it needs to have something that the Mercedes doesn't have or can't offer beyond the looks. A totally different "bespoke" interior is a must also, no S-Class switchgear. Of course it needs to start with the S600's V12 and go from there, but with more hp in each application if they decided to use the S65's V12 also. The 250K price is right though, it will seperate the two cars nicely.

M
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Sorry about my indiscretion. The E350 was there.

Regarding the IS300, my point was to show that it was not Roadkill, as Team Europe likes to put over on these airwaves. The fact that it was a couple of points behind the vaunted 328i shows it had great driving dynamics, and deserves respect.

I know you want to run out and buy a GS460 this fall, but let's start cutting the S-Class sales in half with a new LS before we get you your GS460 next Summer, K?

YES, I SAID IT! The S-Class will not sell 3k a month in 2007. It'll fall to 1500-2000 a month when the new LS changes the market direction this October.

There WILL be plenty of buyers who would rather pay $900-1000 a month for an LS, than $13-1400 a month for an S550.

DrFill
    I guess this was missed in my previous posts, so it bears repeating:

Lexus could become Ford or VW for a year, and still be Quality Standard.

With Lexus sales up 10% a year, for the last deacde or so, I'd say these are exceptions, not the rule.

I thank NV and SV for their testimonials, but at the same point, neither will say they regret buying the LS, and they haven't beat a path to the trade-in lot either.

Lexus is not perfect. Just closer than the competition, that's all. The Pursuit continues! ;)

DrFill
    Lexus is not perfect. Just closer than the competition, that's all. The Pursuit continues!

Until Lexus turns in JD scores of 0 PP 100, there will be the unlucky few with problems. That said, I've never heard of an SC430 with a broken top, and Ive never seen an LS being taken away on a flat bed. SL, S, care to comment? Didnt think so.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    how'd you like to set up a concession stand and make a business for the group of people (I'm guessing the count will be zero, maybe one person if I really stretch my imagination) that will exit the 2008 LS600HL line and enter the 2009 Prius line. Just don't expect any bank to loan you the money to start a business where no one will line up.

It is not my habit to respond to such an ancient and dated post as above. But it just turns out that your above assertions are not witty at all but are actually quite serious. Your business proposal above sounds quite opportunistic based on the stats below:

1)Only 19 % of CEOs in USA own a luxury car
    2)The Average Price in US$ of the Primary Vehicle driven by a CEO in the USA is $25,000.

SOURCE: Cars.com and CareerBuilder.com

Based on the stats above I would not be surprised at all if a CEO during 2008 trades in his hybrid Lexus for a significantly improved Prius.

I hope you dont mind if I steal your business idea (I have no intention of sharing my profits with you)? I will be starting my concession stand during 2008 ;)
    I already posted this in the LPS forum but I thought this may be of some interest to some of you who are obsessed with reliability:

Here is a list of the least reliable luxury autos ?(there are no MBs, BMWs, Audis or Porsches on the list)

link title
    Here is a list of the least reliable luxury autos ?(there are no MBs, BMWs, Audis or Porsches on the list)

Here's a more world reliability view. Good results for Porsche, Jag, and BMW, and pretty good for Audi. Still very poor for Mercedes. Only the French cars and Fiat were worse. The M class came in an amazing 155th of 159 models.

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2005/11/stories/01/3.html
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    My suspicion is that the "CEOs" in the survey might include the "CEOs"/owners of some very small businesses, i.e., drycleaning stores, etc.
    Great link. A lot of data for a free site.
    The survey must be based on the existing clients of CareerBuilding.com. I highly doubt such clients would include a CEO of one drycleaning stand or a CEO of one corner store.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Dewey,

How about the fact that they are leased by the company and driven by (or chafeurred for) the CEO's. Find me that stat. You think that is 25%??? Do you really think a CEO drives to (or is driven to) his $2-$20mln+ house in a Corolla like car?? It's easy to say you don't own a helm if it's a company car. It's the technically accurate answer and the morally inaccurate answer.

Merc - I was really thinking the market share issue in the last 5 years. The post I was responding to used a 10 year time period.
    Check this:

Methodology
    Harris Interactive® conducted the online study between June 21 and June 23, 2006 among a nationwide sample of 2,344 U.S. adults (aged 21 to 65) who have a valid driver’s license and are employed or looking for work. Of the 2,344 qualified respondents who completed the survey, 340 respondents qualified as a CEO, Chairman, Executive Director, President or COO of the company in which they are employed. The other 2,004 respondents are categorized as the general public segment. No weighting was applied to this data and therefore the results cannot be projected to the U.S. adult or CEO populations.
    source

Ask yourself this: When 15% of a "nationwide sample of U.S. adults" qualifies as "CEO, Chairman, Executive Director, President or COO", what size companies do you think we are talking about, on average, and what average compensation for the "CEO"?
    Ask yourself this: When 15% of a "nationwide sample of U.S. adults" qualifies as "CEO, Chairman, Executive Director, President or COO", what size companies do you think we are talking about, on average, and what average compensation for the "CEO"?

I dont want to dwell on this too long. If this was a random sample then I agree. This apparently is not a random sample and is based on surveying clients and employment seekers in the businessworld. Executive Search is a big part of many employment agencies and may include a larger number of senior executives than what you would find in the general population.

LJ the cars primarily driven by CEOs is on average a 25K$ car. This is not about leasing or owning.

Although I must confess that I do find the results of this survey quite surprising and maybe even somewhat dubious myself. Eighty one percent of CEOs driving Impalas, Accords, Camrys, Windstars and Siennas? While only 19 percent of Corporate CEO parking places are occupied by a luxury car. Highly unlikely indeed.
    Hey anyone out of work can create a consulting business and call himself President. My lawnmowers card says he's the president of his business.
    Dewey,

Terrific data, but with gaping holes. Stimulating topic, I might add.

So . . . which is it? . . . to motivate our children to strive to be:
    a) sports superstar
    b) hollywood actor
    c) CEO
    d) none of the above!

Thanks again Dewey.

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    To LI Gold Coast for 4 days.
    Saw three LS 400's all in pristine condition too!
    Nice to see some pride of ownership.
    Apparently a great investment for those folks.
    Haven't seen any in Florida.
    Saw my share of gorgeous 911's too. One in particular-a spanking new Carrera convertible in an ivory white which was really the cat's meow!

Hey Oac-sometimes one's prayers do get answered! ;)

Also, I really should re-think the term "moderate." Tagman has definite Team Europe leanings. You were away so long, I guess I forgot! No offense meant! Mea culpa! :blush:

Very much enjoyed the well-done description of what makes Team Europe tick.
    Pure poetry. So artfully constructed by Blkhemi.
    After reading that, how can anybody not be intoxicated with BMW, Audi or MB? Certain aspects of human behavior are just a little beyond my powers of comprehension, I guess.
    Some of you folks should really take one of their fine vehicles out for a spin.
    Go ahead. Have some fun! You may never look back.

I agree with Tagman-that photo of an apparent BMW was quite barfable.

Lexusguy: You wounded me! :sick:
    Welcome back, Howard.

The Carrera was nice, huh? White w/ a light interior I imagine.

Sincerely,

ModerateMan ;)
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Right back atcha! :)

Yes-it was a stunning vehicle.
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Not sure what your point is. All you have established is that the correlation between self-styled CEO's and luxury car ownership is pretty weak. ljflx never said anything about CEO's in your quoted text. The correlation between existing ownership of luxury car and the next purchase however tend to be pretty high. It's not as if all CEO's (self-claimed ones included) were tossed into a lotto and only 19% of them came out with a luxury car! What does self-appointed CEO's (my dog is one too, in her own mind) have to do with luxury car ownership? Your own statistic establishes that they have little to do with each other. Can we get back to talking about luxury cars? ;-)
    Please refer to the last paragraph and sentence of post 17372.

Thanks!
    While much of that CEO data is suspect, and of limited usefulness, I found the entire concept intriguing and interesting conceptually. I certainly don't find any adequate reason here to share brightness04's objection.

Thanks for the contribution Dewey, and BTW, your disclaimer in the last paragraph of post 17372 was MORE than adequate.

TagMan
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    TagMan:

CEOs driving $25K cars in America, the land of corporate greed, and capitalism run amock, and you defend the person who posted such drivel !!! Let me ask you, do YOU know of a company CEO who drives a $25K car to work daily ? I am not talking of self-styled CEO gardeners, plumbers, electricians, and others like these (aka: small business owners) who drive beat up cars that would qualify for this survey...

Talking of CEOs, my former CEO drives around in an XJR, while his SVP chooses b/w a Porsche and a Bimmer-5 for his daily ride. My neighbor, not a CEO, has 5 cars on his drive way, for a 2-person household (kids older and out of the nest). None of his cars are under $30K. And next to him is another with a jacked-up F250, and a lovely mustard-yellow Boxter. $25K car ? Puleaze !!!

May I remind you what CEOs make in this country relative to the average employee ? Try more than 250-times see link title, and you'd expect to see these $Gadzillion-aires riding around in Kia/Hyundai/Corolla/Civics.... BTW, what would $25K buy you these days for a brand new car ? There, I rest my case !
    Until Lexus turns in JD scores of 0 PP 100, there will be the unlucky few with problems. That said, I've never heard of an SC430 with a broken top, and Ive never seen an LS being taken away on a flat bed. SL, S, care to comment? Didnt think so.

Well said, LG. Isn't it simply funny to read of examples of less than stellar LS430s and the Germancarfans conclude LS must be unreliable ! Its called statistics, guys.... I didn't hear anyone grumble about my 8yo LS400 with 114K miles and narry a problem. Does that not qualify as a statistical sample ?

And BlkHemi's very reliable MBs and Audis are statistically outside the realm... since he typically doesn't keep them long enough to break down much. At 10K miles, any car that doesn't hold up - be it $10K or $200K - is pure lemon ! Try 100K miles and then tell us how many cars you owned remained relatively trouble-free, then we got real statistics.
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Although I must confess that I do find the results of this survey quite surprising and maybe even somewhat dubious myself. Eighty one percent of CEOs driving Impalas, Accords, Camrys, Windstars and Siennas? While only 19 percent of Corporate CEO parking places are occupied by a luxury car. Highly unlikely indeed.

How does this in any way or shape relate to the likelihood of a buyer of Lexus LS600HL would consider a Prius as replacement? Your own data purported to establish that CEO's and luxury car buyers are _not_ correlated. So why bother bringing self-claimed CEO's in here at all? regardless bona fides or fraudsters or just someone eeking out a living like most of us?

LS, S and 7 make up for less than 2% of the car market, that factoid does not however suggest that a current owner of LS, S or 7 would have 98% chance of buying an Accord/Camry or something like that as replacement; CEO or not is quite irrelevent.
    Regarding the IS300, my point was to show that it was not Roadkill, as Team Europe likes to put over on these airwaves. The fact that it was a couple of points behind the vaunted 328i shows it had great driving dynamics, and deserves respect.

Nah it doesn't because sales and more sales is part of the Lexus mantra and the IS300 never sold well relative to its competitors and it was a total outcast among traditional Lexus buyers. The car was a Toyota in drag, nothing more. You're still using sales one minute (SC430) to defend a comparo laggard, but you'll use comparos the next (IS300) to defend a sales laggard. Sales and more sales are what Lexus fans harp about more than anything else so if doesn't at least sell decently it ain't worth mentioning in Lexusland.

YES, I SAID IT! The S-Class will not sell 3k a month in 2007. It'll fall to 1500-2000 a month when the new LS changes the market direction this October.

Oh I don't doubt this at all, I wouldn't say 1500 units, but 2K yes. There are only so many buyers for a car that starts at 90K. Now MB will at least attempt to counter with the low-priced S450 at some point.

There WILL be plenty of buyers who would rather pay $900-1000 a month for an LS, than $13-1400 a month for an S550.

And there are plenty who can't (or won't) make that jump either which is what the LS depends on for a great many of it's sales, a cheaper price!

M
    Merc - I was really thinking the market share issue in the last 5 years. The post I was responding to used a 10 year time period.

Well yeah some correction was needed, but yeah in the last 5 years they haven't grown as much as everyone else, this is true.

This year however looks to be quite an improvement over the incremental gains from 2000-2005, but like you said before (which I agree with amazingly!) we'll have to see if they can sustain the pace. The new C-Class can't get here soon enough!

M
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    "There WILL be plenty of buyers who would rather pay $900-1000 a month for an LS, than $13-1400 a month for an S550."

Actually the cheaper LS has consistently leased for about the same price as a S430 for years, and in some years for more. Such as when the 2001 LS430 came out it's lease was over $1,200 for a median priced LS430 with $0 down, similar to what a S430 was in 2001.

And as we all know(or should know) over 50% of luxury cars are leased, so the case that the LS sells better because it's cheaper doesn't hold much water.
    And as we all know(or should know) over 50% of luxury cars are leased, so the case that the LS sells better because it's cheaper doesn't hold much water.

It most certainly does "hold water" if that other 50 percent (per you) still buys instead of leasing. No on is saying that it being cheaper is the sole reason for LS selling better, only that it plays a factor in that "50 percent" estimate. A good deal of folks (right here on these boards) still "buy" cars vs leasing them.

M
    Thanks Tagman.

Now for Mr. OAC who made the following comment:
    CEOs driving $25K cars in America, the land of corporate
    greed, and capitalism run amock, and you defend the person who posted such drivel !!!

Please dont shoot the messenger! Also take a few deep breaths before pounding your keyboard.

Brightness04 comment:
    How does this in any way or shape relate to the likelihood of a buyer of Lexus LS600HL would consider a Prius as replacement?

I was spoofing a spoof made by LJ many weeks ago. If you choose to take my post seriously regarding Hybrid LS owners flocking to Priuses then so be it.

I am not saying another word about this matter until I get some Legal Counsel. GaryH where are you? Oops I think Gary only defends Lexicans? :(
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    They are still there - the link at the top of this discussion has been changed to go to the 2007 A8 reviews. You can access reviews from earlier years, though, right there on that page. :)
    I'll bet that the percentage is more like 75% lease 25% buy. I don't know anyone that buys these cars anymore. The whole price structure is set up for leasing.
    For the first time more cars were built outside of Japan than inside the country. 1.55mln "Japanese" cars now built in Europe. Watch this number grow much larger over the coming years along with car sales. There's always the dismissal of the business side here but guess what - smart business sells a lot more cars than enthusiast moves do.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/01/business/worldbusiness/01cars.html
    Please dont shoot the messenger! Also take a few deep breaths before pounding your keyboard..

HELM cars we talk about here don't sell for $25K. So that survey was pointless and without merit, IMO... Now you say it was a spoof... So be it, but say so next time... Woulda saved the keyboard pounding ;)
    No on is saying that it being cheaper is the sole reason for LS selling better, only that it plays a factor in that "50 percent" estimate...

Merc1: IYO, what other reasons, other than cheaper price, makes the LS a best-seller in its class ?
    I maintain my position. Had the results of the data been different, you'd have eaten it up like candy. I said clearly that the data is pretty much useless, but it was the CONCEPT that was interesting, and I can imagine that you'd have supported it if the data gave you results that coincided with your views.

I really see no need to police Dewey so heavy-handed on this. We've ALL taken liberties to go beyond the strict HELM borders at times . . . you included.

Sorry, but I'm not gonna slam him for this. He placed quite enough disclaimer in his post to satisfy any courtroom.

Of course, I won't slam you either, oac. At least not yet. ;)

TagMan
    And BlkHemi's very reliable MBs and Audis are statistically outside the realm... since he typically doesn't keep them long enough to break down much. At 10K miles, any car that doesn't hold up - be it $10K or $200K - is pure lemon ! Try 100K miles and then tell us how many cars you owned remained relatively trouble-free, then we got real statistics.

Well . . . then according to you, JDP's IQS is TOTALLY irrelevant. I don't want to see you quoting those stats EVER again, as they are now as you say, "statistically outside the realm".

Gimmee a break.

TM
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    So elequently did you look over the '01 S500 that is really out of the "realm". At 41k miles, these cars were supposed to be headed to the shredder, according to JDP and CR, a longtime Lexus pay-off.

The S65 was supposed to have even more problems by 10k miles according to the two biased mags because of it's more "performance-laden" setup. Whatever. That means that every reliable Porsche 911, Box, and Cayman are supposed to break the hinges off of it's mid-mounted engine by the time it gets off of the boat ride from across the pond.

And to add to Tag, now there is confusion. At first, JDP was all the rave, now the info is not trustworthy? Which is it?

BTW: I did have a Japanese car that I drove 112k miles with remarkably better luck than both of the Lexus' I had. It was a '99 Q45t that I drove from LI to the City everyday only to put two sets of tires on it, 1 brake job(vs. 2 for the Lexus with only 32k miles), and new Bose speakers. Of course the usual maintenance, but that was it. And to boot, the W12 has 14k miles on it. By this time, according to the Nastrodomous of journalism, JDP and CR both say the body intergrity is supposed to degrade, the electrical system is supposed to go hay-wire, the 4WD system will go kaput, and so on. None of which have happen, and this may be the reason that more credible auto journals say that the Audi body continues to be the stiffest in class, despite the new comp...

BTW: Saw a LS430(judging from the wheels, maybe an '01-'03) on a flatbed today. Since it was so dirty, I guess they were delivering it as a "gift" to someone, because it dare wouldn't be going to get service at the dealership????
    I don't think anyone believes that Lexus is problem-free, or that every MB breaks down frequently. And that isn't what JDP or CR actually show. They only show that Lexus, Porsche, and other brands are relatively reliable as compared to MB. For instance the 2005 JDP VDS (here) shows Lexus had 139 problems per 100 vehicles (not zero) and MB had 283 (not 1000). CR is consistent with numbers like that (see here)

You refer to JDP and CR as "biased". Are they biased because they publish results you simply can't face? Or do you have some actual evidence that there is something less than objective going on at both places? And how do you explain the fact that JDP and CR are not alone? That studies in the UK (here) and your beloved Germany also point to the relatively better reliability of Lexus vs MB? Can you point to any well-conducted study, anywhere in the world, that shows that MB is as reliable as, or even "almost" as reliable as, Lexus?

All that being said, I know that reliability isn't everything, and that different people might care about it in differing degrees. That's one reason I don't usually argue with BMW fans. They tend to like BMW for things that most people recognize Lexus lacks.
    You don't have to be an automotive genious to know that CR is consistently misleading in what they think the marketplace of cars is. And dare I even comment on JDP:

This being the very company that rolled out a IQS report that showed some cars at the very bottom(LR) yet in the APEAL they miraculously appear to be at the top(10)? And please don't run me that "reliability isn't everything" gig as anyone who plops 80 large on a RR Supercharged only to have the engine blow before 10k miles is not and will not be enjoying the ride. Oh. moreover, this is also the same rag that gave the Pontiac Grand Prix the best Large Car in Initial Quality(and best factory) yet in APEAL it's a dead ringer? So I like it intially, but give me a thousand miles to think about it, I'm sure to hate it!

I've never ever read(and I read a lot) anything out of Germany that'll suggest a LS to be more reliable than a MB. That's not Germany's MO. Most rags there don't mention car and LS in the same sentence.

But I digress once more. The LS is more reliable on most basis(not always) than most of it's competition. I never said it wasn't. What was mentioned was the LS is not so perfect that it won't break down. It's not Zeus, the Greek God. Yes the car is mechanically sound, but infinetely reliable??? Hardly, no matter how the 114k miles got there........-
    With that being said, and with all of the cars being made there, why is that they don't sell well there? And this is not a Toyota/Lexus thing. The USA accounts for 54.9% of Honda Motor LTD. complete business, yet they too have a slew of factories in Europe.

Take the Euro/Asia market Accord(our TSX). The Opel's(GM) and Ford's(Mondeo) outsells it 3 and 4-1, respectively. The IS250/350: only 410 on average per month compared to 2800 330i's, 2600 A4's, and 1900 C-Classes. The major calling card these otherwise great cars are missing is a diesel engine. Without, you drown in Europe. And this is sure to be the reason the now techno-loaded(something Lexus vowed never to do) LS is sure to do horridly so there. Even in Europe, speed and R-the word isn't everything...
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Good point Brightness. I could not agree more.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

IQS vs APEAL. You really ought to look at the JDP website before jumping to conclusions. Those two surveys measure different things and hence come up with different results. If you ran one poll asking "who are you going to vote for in the next Presidential election" and another asking "who is the most beautiful actress you can think of" you'd get different results, no? Would that result mean the results are invalid?

German surveys. Well, here's one: article
    I don't know how Hemi gets confused by APEAL vs IQS. One measures Appeal/Ease of Use. One measures quality.

DrFill
    Those two surveys measure different things and hence come up with different results. If you ran one poll asking "who are you going to vote for in the next Presidential election" and another asking "who is the most beautiful actress you can think of" you'd get different results, no?

Sure they measure different things, duh . . . but your analogy is flawed. Both surveys, while entirely different have CARS as the net result . . . quite a bit different than a Presidential race and the most beautiful actress, which are comprised of different subject matter, and have different net results.

In any event, ALL of this is blown WAY TOO FAR out of proportion, because the original point was the one that Dewey made, and he was unfairly hung out to dry for it, IMO. Now anybody that dares to defend him is guilty by association of a crime that did not exist in the first place . . . as he had MORE than adequate disclaimers in his posts.

It's a case of the ridiculous chasing after the absurd !!

And sure enough, here comes the Doc to chime in a dig when the opportunity presents itself.

For goodness sake, knock it off already.

TagMan
    but your analogy is flawed. Both surveys, while entirely different have CARS as the net result . . . quite a bit different than a Presidential race and the most beautiful actress, which are comprised of different subject matter, and have different net results.

I don't think it's flawed at all. The Presidential race and beautiful actress questions both ask for judgements about "best" people, but best at different things. The JDP surveys both ask for judgements about "best" cars, but best at different things.