Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• birddog4birddog4 Member Posts: 7
    Just filled my tank after the first 284 miles on the new van. 80% city driving, 20% hwy driving on this tank. Got 19.3 mpg. Not as bad as I had feared after reading some of the other posters with this same van, but not as good as the sticker.
  • coach87coach87 Member Posts: 11
    Laser Cruise Control: 2005 Sienna XLE Limited. I Thought it was a gimick, and didn't want to pay for it, but I love it now. It worked smoothly and predictably in dry, normal weather. The manual says not to use it in the rain or snow, because the laser light is interrupted. Also, it automatically warns the driver in the rain, and turns itself off. Toyota thought of everything. Delightfully, with a finger touch of a lever at the steering wheel, the cruise speed is adjusted up or down in 5 mph increments, 60,65,70mph etc. Also, 5th tank of gas: 14.7 mpg, all in town, 50 degrees, Southern Cal, 1500 miles total.
  • stoopid1stoopid1 Member Posts: 23
    I'm a new owner of this van. First tank of gas worked out at about 19.2 miles per gallon in suburban/city driving. Working on the second tank now so we'll see how this one does; same driving conditions; mostly just me in the van with the exception of short distances to and from school with the kids; couple of short "whole family" trips.

Peace!
  • tackdriver56tackdriver56 Member Posts: 3
    i30g20,

Thanks for starting this thread. I had made an offer on a NEW '05 Sienna AWD LE, but decided not to raise my offer after finding 11.5 MPG average on the vehicle computer during my second test drive.

I would be happy with the mileage you are getting, since my '96 Taurus wagon only gets 22 MPG in mixed driving. (OK, I have a heavy foot).

The run-flats are a nice idea, but the traction and temperature rating are only "B". I would be terrified to drive on them in Connecticut winters.

If I were you, I'd replace them, buy a full-sized spare, and figure out a way of transporting it. (Land-rover style, or maybe the roof or behind the 3rd row. :-) )

Wanna sell yours?
  • celtichonda05celtichonda05 Member Posts: 2
    My first tank gave me 18.5mpg for mixed city and highway winter driving using 87 Octane with 10%ethanol. I was ripped because they sold the VCM/ ECO light and stongly implied the 20-28mpg was acurate. My second tank was 90% highway CT to NH and back with the ECO light on 50% of the time and I still only got 19.6 and that SUCKS!

I went to www.fueleconomy.gov and theEPA says that the 20-28 are based on 45% highway driving, 55% city driving. I couldn't hit 20 with almost all highway.

I have about 700 miles and will check the tires, call the dealer and have tried a different brand of gas to 'get through the breakin period. But my 01 Subaru Forrester did the same type of driving on the same gas and averaged 22mpg winter and 24.5mpg summer.
  • micwalkmicwalk Member Posts: 4
    Craig;

What was your average speed, payload? Are you using synthetics?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One of my first tanks was around 11 mpg - it took my van about 10,000 miles to limber up and start hitting the EPA estimates consistently. I wouldn't start getting too concerned until 3 or 4,000 miles go by.

Steve, Host
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    We now have over 1,000 miles on this 05 Nissan Quest SL (5 speed automatic). Last two tanks were 16.5 (mostly city, some highway) and 22.3 (mostly highway).

In my experience mileage goes down 1-2 mpg in wonter, probably a combination of different fuel formulation and denser air to ounch through.
  • stoopid1stoopid1 Member Posts: 23
    Jeez, looks like I better cut back on the calories or brush up on my math!! 17.4 miles per gallon for the 2nd tank. Still only city driving, mostly me, short trips with the kids, couple of short whole family trips. This mpg more accurately reflects the estimate of the on-board computer.

Peace

Stoopid1
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Winter driving kills fuel economy. My last tank was only 17.8 MPG while 23.4 MPG in previous tank and overall economy is now down to 25.7 MPG.
  • salukidogsalukidog Member Posts: 2
    first two tanks driving around suburban chicago have been 16mpg, have about 1k total miles
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    Filed my first tank when it was only half way down (special on gas) I got 16.10 40/60 Hway/city. On my second tank, 3/4 empty, I got 18.77MPG with it close to 50/50 driving. I'm eager to see what it gets after the engine gets broke in. So far, I only have 456 miles on the van.
  • chisfu1chisfu1 Member Posts: 25
    I got my new Sienna two weeks ago and filled up twice and I can get around 22 mpg with mixed 40% City and 60% highway.... a little better than my 2002 Mercury Villager Sport with around 21 mpg or my wife's MPV ES around 21.5 mpg... The Sienna has a bigger engine and bigger size but achieved better mpg... I am happy with it! I am glad I didn't buy the Honda which posted 28 mpg highway and 20 mpg city and nobody can achieve it here... plus Honda is asking around $1500 below MSRP and I can get Toyota for around $2500 below MSRP!
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    and what is your MPG when you calculate it by hand at the pump:

(miles driven) / (gallons pumped)

some people indicate the trip computer is "optimistic".

compare the two methods.
    "and what is your MPG when you calculate it by hand at the pump:"

I would hope everyone is doing it by hand. Several times it showed I got as high as 31.1 on the over head computer and I am sure I never achieved that. Especially when it came out at 18.77
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Earlier DC minivans had both Instant Economy and Average Economy readings. The Average Economy reading is accurate if left on for a few thousand miles.

I have seen the Average Economy drop by one or 2 tenths while waiting at a stop light after having driven it over 1000 miles.

Winter driving kills overall fuel economy since it takes a lot of fuel to warm up a cold engine to operating temperature. It is impossible to compare city driving since stop lights and wait time is never the same.
    I use my mind to figure it out! For instance, I drove 300 miles and I filled up with 14 gallons of unleaded gas, it would be 21.43 mpg! As I do it more than 2,000,000 for the last 40 years... it only takes me 1 to 5 seconds to figure it out depending on how complicated it is... I don't need any pencil or paper because I do the same thing more than 200 times everyday! Because I am a small business owner, I need to do more than 250 transactions involving calculations everyday!
  • rariro2004rariro2004 Member Posts: 2
    I am getting 17.6 gas milage on a 2005 sienna XLE LIMITED

I noticed

1) cruise control is very aggresive

2) Front seat heater is not working.

Its anive vehicle to enjoy
  • s2000fevers2000fever Member Posts: 37
    Actual mileage obviously depends on driving conditions, driver's habits, and vehicle condition. My first extended trip was when my 05 Ody EXL had +- 400 miles on it. It was with 4 adults on board, stop and go LA New Year's Eve traffic for a portion of the trip, and a little city driving. I kept the highway driving to no more than 70 MPH. I achieved 23.7 MPG on this trip. This included some hilly terrain. Mixed driving yields 18-21 MPG, all on REGULAR gas. Not bad for a 255 HP, 4,500 vehicle. Now that I think about it, doesn't the newer Siennas require premium fuel?? That costs 10%+ more in SoCal. Thanks!
    Now that I think about it, doesn't the newer Siennas require premium fuel??

um, no.

link

(can you tell this has come up before? <g>).

Maybe when they put the Avalon V-6 in it....

Steve, Host
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I have an idea about why it keeps coming up....

When my wife and I were cross-shopping between the Sienna and Odyssey, I had THREE seperate Honda employees inform me (one at a car show, and one each at two different dealerships), that the Odyssey 'only' needed regular while the Sienna required premium. I set the record straight with each one but I doubt it stuck.

Do the salesman take some kind of Honda sponsored training course in which Honda reps tell their salesmen that the Sienna needs premium?
    It must be retaliation for all the Sienna salespeople telling shoppers that the Odyssey seats will kill their backs.

Steve, Host
    I think it also can be because for many years, Toyota did require premium grade gas, even in their four bangers.
  • photogeekphotogeek Member Posts: 10
    I've filled the tank 3x and have only 800 miles on the van. 13-14 MPG ?!?! I drive 50/50 city/hwy. I hate my car. Bought it for all the right reasons and regret it.
    I drove a four banger '82 Tercel for 17 years and it never saw a drop of premium.

Photogeek, lots of people don't start getting close to EPA estimated mpg until they get a few thousand miles on their car. I wouldn't get too concerned yet.

Steve, Host
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    My '04 AWD Sienna approaches 21 mpg on long highway trips, but I've barely broken 15 with around-town driving in this winter weather (and plenty of extra idling). About 17K on the odo now.
    "It must be retaliation for all the Sienna salespeople telling shoppers that the Odyssey seats will kill their backs."

LOL! best line of the day....
    The Sienna only needs unleaded fuel, and if any cars require premium fuel, it will show the sign on the dashboard and labeled on the remote gas tank door...

I used to own 1996 Lexus LS400 and 1994 Mitsubishi Diamante which have the "premium fuel only" sign on the dashboard and gas tank door! The Sienna does not have any premium label on it... so it only requires unleaded fuel!
    I am sure it will get better after the engine gets broke in. But if it makes you feel better, I never got over 19.6 on my Dakota truck and that was full highway driving with a six banger. And it wasn't as heavy as your van. I averaged 15-17 in the city with it.

I'll admit I have a few big mountains to climb going up. But it was a long down grade coming back so it should have averaged out.
    Okay - let me set the record straight. My impression of the Sienna's need from premium gas did not come from a Honda salesperson. I can't recall ever meeting a salesperson that knew as much about a car as I did (I am not an impulse buyer - I study carefully before shopping for anything). My perception is based on the following: 1) The last time I saw a mini-van comparo in one of the car mags (I read them ALL), there was a mention that the current generation Sienna required premium fuel. I took for granted that the mag was accurate - possibly my mistake, and 2) I owned a V-6 Camry at one point in my life and it did specify premium in the manual. When I purchased it, my employer paid for my fuel. When I changed employers, I weaned it down to regular. As long as I didn't push it too hard, it did not ping. The sum of the above resulted in my earlier comment. Toyota builds a great, reliable vehicle. I would not buy any Toyota mainly because the dealer base, in my opinion, is horrible in SoCal. This is probably meant for another discussion board but it is true. I work with someone who just bought a new Tacoma. He experienced this first hand one month into ownership. Two dealers blew him off and he had to go directly to Toyota. This has been my experience, also. I have a friend that has a Sienna and just loves it. My opinion - if the Sienna sucked, Ody's would be going for premium $$ and I would probably still be driving my relatively fuel efficient but crude DC T&C.
    My father in law owned a four banger Camry a few years ago and had to use mid grade in that. But said the new ones can use regular.
    I've never understood the big deal about a few extra cents for premium. The average driver could pay the difference for a month's usage by buying one less grande mocha latte at Starbuck's...
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Well...how much does a grande mocha latte at Starbucks go for? Four bucks? I guess it could add up if you put a lot of miles on your vehicle.I only put around 7k a year on mine...so wouldn't be a big deal.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • ypresiaypresia Member Posts: 27
    Not the only reason. Several Sienna and Odyssey reviews mention Toyota's premium recommendation as a difference between the two vans.

And since the Odyssey has better performance with "merely" regular gasoline, it's not much of a jump to conclude Honda's design is better than Toyota's. For this reason.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Honda's engine is bigger, so more horsepower does not necessarily mean better design.
    I believe the second generation Odyssey does require premium fuel (1999 - 2002), then they dropped the requirement in 2002 and made it such a great deal...

For Sienna, it also recommended premium fuel for optimizing performance for the first genneration (1997 - 2003), Toyota also dropped the requirement in 2003 for the current generation...

So both of them just need regular unleaded fuel, and that should be the norm for all cars except the sporty and luxury cars which need premium fuel to enhance performance...
    If I'm not mistaken, the early previous gen Ody's were rated for both types of fuel. Now don't quote me but it was something like 215 HP on premium and 205 HP on regular. I have a family member that has a 01 MDX which requires premium. The 02 or 03 MDX went to regular grade with a boost in HP. As for a few cents difference for premium, in SoCal, a good price today is $1.89 for regular, $1.99 for mid grade, and $2.09 for premium. 12,000 miles per year at 20MPG = 600 gallons or $120.00. That's not chump change to me.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Most modern engines and have knock sensors so they will take advantange of higher octane.

As a result, many new engines are rated for both fuels. For example, the Nissan Quest V6 in our van is rated at 240 hp on premium and 230 on regular. Premium is not required. The torque peak is only five less, however. Going on a diet and taking the extra junk out of the vehicle would probably yield a better return on mpg.
  • 2ndodyssey2ndodyssey Member Posts: 1
    We recently purchased an '05 odyssey EX-L RES and are only getting 19-20 mpg. I have spoken to our sales representative and she stated she has had 4 complaints of others with the same model. The Honda Representative was to the dealership and this was the first he had heard of the problem. Perhaps we should contact our selling dealerships, there may possibly be a problem with the 6c engine in these models.
    ONLY 19 to 20 mpg is a PROBLEM? Sounds good to me. After all, this is a big, heavy, functional vehicle that can hold 7 people. And it's about as aerodynamic as a barn.
    Is that combination city/highway? If it is, you have no problem at all.Great if only city.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    and pretty good if it isn't broken in yet.
  • tracy3tracy3 Member Posts: 10
    First tank driven 291 miles yielded 18.1 mpg.

Second tank driven 297 miles yielded 18.04 mpg.

Van has 610 miles to date. Sixty percent highway miles. The improvement necessary to achieve supposedly understated EPA mpg estimates seems seems a bit daunting. I'll keep driving and keep calculating!
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I've read a lot about how vehicle weight affects mpg. At what point does anyone think vehicle occupant(or cargo) weight factor in? If you are hauling around 4 or 5 fairly good sized people(say 160-250lb)say total of 1000lbs. And someone else in the the exact(identical down to the fingerprints)vehicle with one other passenger for a total of say 300lbs...thats a difference of 700lbs.In city driving that could make a big difference.May this be part of the reason some of you are having lower mpg than expected?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • tracy3tracy3 Member Posts: 10
    You said: "with one other passenger for a total of say 300lbs...thats a difference of 700lbs.In city driving that could make a big difference."

I believe it would make a difference in city driving (constant acceleration/deceleration). However, the premise of VCM dropping three cylinders is that it requires less energy to keep mass rolling forward under highway conditions. As such, I don't think we would see dramatic differences. I'm also betting that those posting van MPGs aren't regularly driving 300 miles hauling 4 or 5 (160-250lb) occupants. I'm 180lb, wife 130lb, Kid1 40lb, and Kid2 22lb for a total of 372lbs at 18mpg. Funny how some are getting great milage of the lot and some of us are holding on in faith to this ethereal break-in phenonenon.
    While weight does make a big difference, so does tire pressure and the way you drive. Big difference would be the way you take off from a light. Do you do it slow or normal. Or do you take off quick? Fairly quick take offs will burn a lot of gas. Also do you try and look ahead so that you can time the lights and also keep a steady speed? Driving up fast and then having to brake and speed up again will also burn more gas.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Exactly - steady driving gets the best MPG. If you brake often if hurts your mileage. I easily beat the EPA mileage on all my cars, and coincidently just replaced the front brake pads on my Integra for the first time at 170,000 miles.
  • cindy4cindy4 Member Posts: 19
    After much research, we have decided on a 2005 Odyssey for our next car purchase. Previously to this, I had narrowed our choices to the Odyssey or the Toyota Sienna or Highlander. But when I took my wife to the dealership two weeks ago, she felt that the Highlander was too small and that the Odyssey, dollar for dollar, was a better value. In the end, I agreed with her conclusion and am making plans on purchasing the Odyssey later this month.

I have only one major concern with the Odyssey. We all know that the Odyssey tops out at over 4600 pounds and is powered by a 255 horsepower engine. However, the gas mileage difference between what is reported on the sticker (19/25 MPG) and what is frequently reported in this forum are quite different. Some are actually downright terrible and enough to make me question our decision to purchase the Odyssey.

We plan on driving the van about 12K miles annually so the difference in cost between 18 MPG and 22 MPG would be $245. If we own this vehicle for 8 years, that is $2K MORE. This is substantial and would nullify any better appreciation that the Odyssey would enjoy over the Sienna.

Any comments to this dilemma would be appreciated.

Cindy

previosly
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    mileage reports vary quite a bit, but it does seem that most people aren't getting the EPA numbers (especially on the VCM models where they are 20/28).

You pointed out that it is heavy, boxy and powerful, so the mileage it does get is really pretty respectable. I doubt you wil average 4 MPG better with a SIenna, but it really depends on how and what type of driving you do.

If you are truly worried about mileage, make sure to drive slower. Keep it to 65 or below on the highway, and your mileage will be much higher.

Anyway, with the Ody, if you drive normally on the highway and aren't doing severe city (stop and go short hop) driving, you are likely to get pretty close to the 19/25 overall, at least when it gets warmer (cold temps don't help mileage much at all).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Comparing anecdotal evidence regarding real world mileage between two different vehicles is.....iffy.

If you check the mileage reports which Edmunds has been getting on their long-term Sienna tester, the results are not that encouraging either (averaged 16.0 over 14,000 miles). Does this mean that all Siennas will get 16.0? Not hardly; that particular van spent a great deal of time on urban commutes.

Personally, for an individual driver, I would expect the Sienna and Odyssey, when driven similarly, to be within 1-2 mpg of one another.

And, as always, YMMV...8^)