Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Here is one contribution that Lexus is making in the automotive industry :

link title

I dont know how I survived decades of owning a car without this helpful Valet Guide?
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Using your opinions as my most reliable contrary indicator, I will be placing my order for a 2009 5 Series as soon as humanly possible.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    BTW, Toyota made the Supra in 1993, and showed that they can make the best sports car in the world (yes, internationally), if they so choose to.

Doc . . . I know you liked the Supra, and you liked it a lot. But, for crying out loud "the best sports car in the world?" Absolutely an exaggeration.

While I will readily state that it certainly had some terrific attributes, I would be very curious to know who else on this forum would agree with your statement that the Supra was the representation that Toyota can make the best sports car in the world?

I have no doubt that Toyota could make a great sports car, but let's be honest, aren't you stretching things a bit here?

TagMan
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Using your opinions as my most reliable contrary indicator, I will be placing my order for a 2009 5 Series as soon as humanly possible.

Yeah yeah (plays fiddle). Wait 'til the Lexicans get on a roll when the 460 comes out, then you'll be buying an LS. Then you'll be back to the M, GS. G35, Cayman, this car, that car...

:P
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    While I will readily state that it certainly had some terrific attributes, I would be very curious to know who else on this forum would agree with your statement that the Supra was the representation that Toyota can make the best sports car in the world?

It would be nice to see another Toyota with cross-drilled brake rotors, corner load sensing ABS, a limited-slip diff (unlike the "marketed" Cayman) and a six-speed manual. 320hp would be nice, too. I dont think the '93 Supra was the best sports car in the world at the time, but it was better than its direct competition, the C4 Vette, RX-7, 300ZX, and 3000GT. For whatever its worth, nobody cares about any of those cars anymore, but the Supra has achieved legend status like the GT-R. An engine capable of over 800hp certainly helps.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Nobody actually cares about the Supra, either. Outside of the handful of 800+HP dyno queens, what do you hear about the Supra? I have not ever heard anyone talk about its driving dynamics, handling, performance, etc. The only thing I ever hear about is how fast it is in a straight line... from a roll... on the freeway... at night.

That and those totally unbiased Best Motoring videos. :sick:
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Lexus already rules the roost here in the U.S. (nowhere else really matters..and that's not even debatable). Once the new LS 460 hits the market the europhiles know they are finished.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    would debate you on that. I think it important in this day and age to maintain a world wide view of things, rather than just what happens here in the States. Otherwise you tend to get insulated and narrow minded. Take people in the hills of west Virginia that never come out. Dumb as stump? In our global, internet, cell phone dominated world? Yes. Having a view of things with a bigger lens is almost always best IMO.
    The only way I get an LS is if they offer a true sport package like Toyota does with the Camry SE.
    I actually saw the word "fun" used in a review of the new Camry SE.

Not only will the LS handle better in this mode, but it would look a lot better too.

The Cayman has been eliminated for practical reasons. :(
    Yes, certainly you could debate that if we were talking about anything really, really important. Cars, NO!! I do not know, nor do I care what they are driving in Turkey these days. And what they are driving in Turkey, France, or you name it, is not going to affect my U.S. car buying habits.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    The only way I get an LS is if they offer a true sport package like Toyota does with the Camry SE.

Don't forget the loose steering ratio on the LS which isn't going to change with a sport package. Your 545 is w-a-a-y tighter.
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Um, LG? What platforms does Audi share with VW?

A8- unique to Audi(the Phaeton is all steel, with Audi's chassis)

A6- unique to Audi

A4- unique to Audi

Now, I'll suffice it to say and give you credit on the A3. It is a Golf(Rabbit) derivative. But it too has been Audi fortified with quattro and 3.2L V6/DSG, none available on the Golf.

And the Q7: Audi designed this platform in '01 for Porsche, Audi, and VW collab. Audi designed the powertrains(except Porsche's 4.5L V8's), 4WD systems, systems, interior layouts, and suspensions.

I'm confused? What platforms again?
    Nobody actually cares about the Supra, either. Outside of the handful of 800+HP dyno queens, what do you hear about the Supra? I have not ever heard anyone talk about its driving dynamics, handling, performance, etc. The only thing I ever hear about is how fast it is in a straight line... from a roll... on the freeway... at night.

Perhaps you are right. What I was getting at though is that the Supra is the car that people remember from the '90s Japanese sports car craze. If you look online the Turbos have held their value very well. The 300ZX and 3000GT on the other hand, worthless.
    Now, I'll suffice it to say and give you credit on the A3. It is a Golf(Rabbit) derivative. But it too has been Audi fortified with quattro and 3.2L V6/DSG, none available on the Golf.

You're forgetting about the TT. The old one was VW based, and so is the new one. The Q3 is also going to use a VW platform. Also, while it may say "Quattro" on the back, some of these small Audis use a Haldex clutch, borrowed from VW's "4Motion" systems. They are not "true" Torsen Audi Quattros, if you want to get nitpicky.

You're also forgetting the Golf GTI, which has the same DSG box as the A3.
    The 545 is very fine.
    Hmmmm....Looks like LG has come up with a fairly comprehensive list blkhemi. Who was that spouting off about Lexus being a rebadged Toyota? And what is that they say about people who live in glass houses? I think this one will leave a mark!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

To be even more nitpicky, no Audi that says quattro is a true quattro. True the small ones don't have the same hardcore AWD as the bigger cars, but where do you think VW got it's "4Motion" from? That's right, Audi. Audi has been designing less complex AWD systems for about 20 years. The VW merger allowed them to use the technology on less premium marques.

Yes the GTI and R32 use a version of the DSG. That's not big news. But I can say that at least Audi makes this sharing less obvious than some of the Pacific brands........
    Hmmmm....Looks like LG has come up with a fairly comprehensive list blkhemi. Who was that spouting off about Lexus being a rebadged Toyota? And what is that they say about people who live in glass houses? I think this one will leave a mark!!

I believe it was hpowders, he likes to pick on the LS to try and get "team Japan" agitated. It really doesn't work. The LS has a Lexus specific platform, engine, and gearbox. Just like Audi, they platform share with entry level products such as the ES and RX in order to keep costs down, ultimately benefitting the consumer.
    Talk about leaving a mark, let's put this in perspective.

NO OTHER PREMIUM MARQUE CROSS-SHARES AS MUCH AS TOYOTA/LEXUS.

LX470= Land Cruiser, a 15 year old design.
    GX470= A Toyota 4Runner that is so tall it breaks the adhesion limit quite easy.
    ES350= A mere Camry, with the lesser car looking better in SE trim.
    RX350= A soft-edged Highlander that is faster and simpler than it's RX400h counterpart

Thankfully, the tired LS platfform will be taken out in the pasture and put down. The IS250/350 is a welcome breath of fresh air, altho it will be once again looked over due to the superior new competition.

And the GS. Well, in a need to elaborate, the car is the worst in the company's lineup, yes even behind the hoary old LX. What is it's true purpose cause chasin' the prodigous 5-Series and A6 ain't happenin'. The car is cramped, underpowered(base version for now), underwhelming for it's intended purpose.

Want to leave a mark? Why has the king of all things perfect dropped the advertising for the lamest car in the class?
    C'mon, LG. I really like the way you converse as you're more of a moderate than a devout "Lexus is better than anything with four wheels" crowd.

BUT, the Supra, while a great 2+2 with a massive cult following, was not always tops. In fact, the 300ZX Twin Turbo won more comparos than any of it's competitors. And even tho the Supra was a Toyota, the Mitsu 3000GT actually had better build quality. The only low man on the todem pole was the RX. It did not pass the rigorous US emission tests, and the quality was not the best.

And of them all, the 3000GT VR4 Spyder actually holds it's vale better than them all. There is one around here listed for 25k, a 10 year old Japanese sports car.
    If you share, you share. It's like being just a little bit pregnant! Next time don't ask a question unless you want an answer! I know LG's answer stung because you went into full trash Lexus mode!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

NO OTHER PREMIUM MARQUE CROSS-SHARES AS MUCH AS TOYOTA/LEXUS.

Not true. Acura's entire line is platform shared with Honda products.

RL = Honda Accord
    TL = Honda Accord
    TSX = Accord Euro
    MDX = Pilot
    RDX = CR-V

If you ask me, getting into "who shares the most" arguments is pretty pointless. There's nothing inherently "wrong" or "evil" with platform sharing. It can be done well, (TL, ES) or poorly (Zephyr, X-type). Its up to the consumer to decide wether the premium is worth it.
    And of them all, the 3000GT VR4 Spyder actually holds it's vale better than them all. There is one around here listed for 25k, a 10 year old Japanese sports car.

Only because it was so rare (something like 700 were made in two years of production, and their original sticker was 911 CS money), and there was no comparable version of the Supra. The much more common 3000GT VR4 coupe will be worth less than a good condition Supra TT.
    "He really likes to pick on the LS to try and get "team Japan" agitated. It really doesn't work."

Oh no? So why is it that when team Lexus members attempt to answer my posts, it seems like their blood pressure is at least 200/130 and their words border on the hysterical?

That is, if you can filter through all the rhetoric and see if they are actually saying anything which some Club Euro-German members and I find doubtful at best.

One of your Team Lexus members was so intimidated by one of my statements, he tried to attribute it to poor Dewey for fear of encountering me directly. :blush:
  • stevekilburnstevekilburn Member Posts: 359
    Platform sharing is done by every automaker. Some automakers are more honest than others and their platform sharing strategy is in public domain. Examples, VW, Honda, Toyota, GM and Nissan.

Some other automakers hide this information and use marketing deception and outright fraud. Their lingo is "Nothing which a customer sees, hears or touches should be common, but the rest of the platform can be shared between a 30K and a 70K model".

Ford and DCX are experts in this marketing trickery. Even though Aston Martin shares all the underpinnings with Jaguar and Ford, they are passed of as platforms UNIQUE TO so and so.

And insecure customers lacking in IQ and refined taste gladly spend those dynastic dollars on this deception. After all, with plenty of inherited wealth which their forefathers earned they do not know the value of money and the right way to use it. Hence the explosive sales of HELMs.

Thats the difference between british playboys who are enjoying the loot of their ancestors and Bill Gates who is happy with an odd 911 or an LS 400 and focuses on creativity, knowledge and charity.
    LG, I thought it was the Lexus set who said Acura is nothing more than an Honda with a better service department, so Acura doesn't count, does it?

But you're right, this arguement is pointless as EVERYBODY platform share. Some do it more often than others, and as you put it, it saves the companies more money that in turn makes it easier to sell there cars. Even the mighty Bentleys platform share, with the wicked FS an extention of the GT Coupe.
    I did not go on a "I hate Lexus" spree as you'd have it. That's what you want me to do, but the players here at Team FunCar have to much poise and class for that..
    Ford and DCX are experts in this marketing trickery. Even though Aston Martin shares all the underpinnings with Jaguar and Ford, they are passed of as platforms UNIQUE TO so and so.

Good point there. I was very surprised when Top Gear mentioned that the Aston Martin DB7 was a Jaguar XJ-S underneath.
    Even the mighty Bentleys platform share, with the wicked FS an extention of the GT Coupe.

While the GT Coupe shares with the Phaeton.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Really? Offering all sedans and SUVS is giving people variation? Not one sports car or even sporty car in the bunch and this is called variation? Nonsense. Toyota has about the most non-diverse group of buyers of any brand today! That is why they have a stick-in-the-mud image with people who don't buy Toyotas. You've got to be joking if you think Toyota offers any kind of "variation". They're the dullest, most boring mainstream brand going. Nissan and Honda are much more "diverse" and offer more "variation". Ditto for Mercedes and BMW compared to Lexus. Toyota is a lot of things, but diverse isn't one of them.

Merc1: These statements of yours couldn't be any more wrong. Your constant ragging on Toyota/Lexus is nothing short of plain jealousness. SUVs and sedans... What does MB, Honda, Infiniti offer comparable to Toyota ? Give me a list of the products from these companies...or forever hold your dissing tongue against Toyota.

You don't get to be almost #1 in the world for making and selling to only a FEW sections of the market. Name a market segment, Toyota has a product in it.... MB makes crappy SUVs, barely off the dealer lot R (sucks, and plain ugly), the G is an abomination to look at, ditto the A and Smart (eeeewwwww !!!), GL/M twins are poor attempts to buy market tightly owned by Toyota, and their sedans are simply cannibals of themselves. Sports cars ? They are too few in sales to make anyone remember them.... Honda ? What do they have again ? (Civic anyone ?) Infiniti ? M, G, FX, Q ? and these are diverse in your view ? Take a brochure from a Toy or Lex dealership next time and go see for yourself before you spout off nonsensical stuff... Puleaze...
    Take your language dictionaries to any place on this planet and ask the native folk, which is the best car in the world and more often than not, assuming they understand your question (speak slowly), the answer will come back "BMW" more often than not.

I wonder how many foreign trips you've ever taken, Howard... Americans are the least traveled worldwide... they'll play against other sports teams and proclaim its a "World Series" or a "World Championship" even when both teams represent only 2 states in the US.... Ridiculous.

FWIW, the most recognizable brand globally would most probably be Mercedes Benz... Followed closely by Toyota (Lexus is just 17 yrs in the market, since some people choose to forget)... BMW ? Huh !!! What do they offer the world car buyers ? Think everyone cares about a 3-series ??? Puleaze... Talk about Toyota... Oh YES !!! The name is GOLD. Mention a Corolla.... or a Land Cruiser... Go to Africa, Middle East, Asia, Europe, US, Australia.... Did I leave any continent out ? Get your facts right. BMW is such a small potato when we talk global, not just the developed world.
    RX350= A soft-edged Highlander that is faster and simpler than it's RX400h counterpart ...

Which one came first ? An RX or a Highlander ??? Wanna contend that the RX was not the innovator of the car-based SUV long before a Highlander was born ? EVERY car company in the world shares platforms. Those that don't are either too low in sales volume or out of business. Seems like the anti-Lexus bias shines through your every post that has a Toyota or a Lexus in it... Tends to color your posts some...
    "BMW? Huh!!! What do they offer the world car buyers? Think everyone cares about a 3-Series?"

Well if Beethoven only composed his 9th symphony, he would have been considered a great composer.
    If BMW had nothing else to offer but the 3 Series, they would be considered a great company.

You make it sound like the accomplishment of producing the 3 Series is trivial. Nothing could be further from the truth, Oac. This vehicle is a true masterpiece and it has the world-wide recognition it deserves. This is as close to perfection as it gets for $40k.

Hey, Oac, I would like you to check out the twin turbo 335i next month like Dewey and I plan to do.
    I'm pretty sure you will have a lot of fun! ;)
    Hey, Oac, I would like you to check out the twin turbo 335i next month like Dewey and I plan to do.
    I'm pretty sure you will have a lot of fun!

Since OAC convincingly argued that BMW is not an international brand I have changed my mind and will no longer be checking out the new twin turbo from BMW ;)
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    "BMW: World Car of The Year

Audi: South African Car of The Year

Subaru: International Engine of The Year

Lexus: Uhhhh....who???"

Do you actually "think" before you write anything?

Who names BMW the "World car of the year"?? Was it some "world" body???

Who named Subaru's engine "International engine of the year"?? Was it some "international" body?

Chances are in both cases it's a few weirdo's who make themselves out to be experts coming up with these stupid things so that they themselves can make some money. It's just like the stupid auto comparison tests..just because they say one car is #1 makes it #1 for everyone? I don't think so. If you actually drove a BMW and should have brains enough to figure out what a farce a "international award of the year" award is! OR "world car of the year". Please show me who voted BMW "world car of the year". I sure as hell didn't and a whole lot of other people didn't.

And while we're at it, it seems hard to figure out how you ever considered buying a Lexus considering you have slammed the GS in just about every way, yet you were "supposedly" soo close to buying one! What a joke.
    "You make it sound like the accomplishment of producing the 3 Series is trivial. Nothing could be further from the truth, Oac. This vehicle is a true masterpiece and it has the world-wide recognition it deserves. This is as close to perfection as it gets for $40k."

You never cease to amaze!

I agree the 3-series is "one" of the best cars in the world. I would say one of the top 5 best cars in the world. Personally that is the only BMW I find attractive or desirable. The 5, or 7-series don't even come close to the 3-series, not by a long shot.

But who says the 3-series is perfection? Is it perfect for:
    the person who regulary carries 5 people?
    who needs to fit 20 cubic feet of work gear in the trunk?
    a plumber?
    how about a 40-year old mom who could give a squat less about g-forces, skidpad times, and braking distances?

Maybe to you it's perfection, which it obviously isn't otherwise you would be driving a 3-series over a 5-series. In that case, shouldn't there be like 20 million 3-series sold every year in the US?

Funny joke, hpowers!
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Also, the W-12 is Audi designed and engineered. So, Bently is carrying an Audi engine, simple as that.
    Please show me who voted BMW "world car of the year". I sure as hell didn't and a whole lot of other people didn't.

You ask whom? Merely the most distinguished auto journalists around the world. That's who!

World Car of the Year (WCOTY) is a program initiated by, organized by, and conducted by automotive journalists from all over the world. From the outset, those of us involved in making it a reality have done so in the context of one over-riding priority. We are dedicated to ensuring that it is carried out with the utmost objectivity, credibility, and integrity.

WCOTY has no affiliation with, nor is it is any way influenced by any publication, auto show, automaker, or other commercial enterprise. It is administered by a non-profit corporation, under the guidance of a Steering Committee of distinguished automotive journalists from Asia, Europe, and North America. In that way, it draws on the experience and expertise already developed by various other award programs throughout the world.

It is intended to complement, not compete with those existing national and regional COTY awards, which are inherently different in scope. By its nature, WCOTY includes some vehicles that may be unavailable in individual regions, and excludes others whose availability may be limited to those regions.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    So far the Germans dominate this award which an interesting commentary:

2005: Audi A6-line

2006: BMW 3-Series

..and for definition, the award does not apply to the carmaker as a whole, but to a specific model. So, BMW did not win World Car of the Year as a brand, only the 3-Series for 2006.
    A8- unique to Audi(the Phaeton is all steel, with Audi's chassis)

A6- unique to Audi

A4- unique to Audi """

Actually get a reality check, the A4 is not a unique Audi platform. It's been a Passat platform underneath for years.

You can bet platform sharing is growing too. You can eventually bet on a Audi A6 being spun out of a stretched Passat platform also. Not to mention you can bet on Benz's and Chrysler products sharing platforms. it's already started with products like the Crossfire and SLk, and it's moving onto to parts sharing like transmissions from Benz's being in Chrysler's now as well as suspension component's. it's not far before a 300 and a E-class could end up using the same platform. They will have to do it to be more competitive and to produce cars more efficiently.

You can thank Toyota for that!
    Exactly as I predicted. A bunch of self described journalists.

I'm now convinced, BMW is THE "WORLD CAR OF THE YEAR". I'm going to go out any buy one right now. Maybe the wonderfully hideous 7-series.

BTW, do you have a list of their past world car of the year award winners???
    With all of this hot air that you've belted out, you've said nothing of complete sense, just a bunch of junk as usual.

And moreover, please think before you stroke your keyboard. True, one of the very few useful innovations that Lexus thought up was the car-based lux crowd(not the concept itself).

But with this 2nd gen, the RX is indeed based off of the '02 Highlander, no matter how you look at it. It has absolutely no differences in suspension and powertrain. And to add insult to injury, the waste of HSD Toyota put into these car-trucks is yet another one of their blunders, with them turning into dinosaurs on the lots. Lexus to offer a "deal" on the RX400h AND GS450h in the middle of fuel crisis? Now that's innovation and perfection......
    Actually get a reality check, the A4 is not a unique Audi platform. It's been a Passat platform underneath for years.

You can bet platform sharing is growing too. You can eventually bet on a Audi A6 being spun out of a stretched Passat platform also.

Actually, the new Passat is I believe Jetta based. I'm not sure about the '02-present A4, but the next car is based on a universal Audi architecture called MLP that is supposed to go into the next A6 and A8 as well. Its the one that will finally give the A4 (and I assume the rest of the sedans) a proper front-mid engine layout. VWs wont get it. The A5, Q5, and A7 are also supposed to be on this platform.

Chrysler and Mercedes on the other hand are moving closer together. Until now Chrysler's using Mercedes parts have been last generation, obsolete Mercedes (SLK320\Crossfire, E430\300C). Chrysler is using Mercedes' 5-speeds, but I dont think they have access to the 7-speed. That may change when they start sharing "phoenix" engines.
    Umm, Honda, the A4 is not based on the Passat. With '02 redesign of the A4, the two no longer shared the Audi-designed platform. The Passat carries a transverse engine layout all the while the Audi has a longitudal layout.

A nice try, almost poetic, close, but far from the cigar. Go back to the drawing board and draw out another plan to try and upset the superior set.
    You're absolutely correct on the new gen Audi cars. The MLP is a very modular platform that is unique to only Audi, not even the Q7 will get it as it will have a new version of the current platform due to the need of the ultra-long body for 3-row seating.

As for DCX, the new plan will be to give the Chrysler cars the new technology that current MB's have. The next-gen LY platform cars will get for the first time MB engines and powertrains. It's already starting with the MB Bluetec diesel being available in some cars/SUV's already.
    As mentioned by Realty2:

2005 Award went to the Audi A6
    2006 Award went to the 3 series

I dont believe there were Awards prior to 2005.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Even though Toyota has forgotten about the sports car market, they still make Best-selling Tacoma, have legendary truck heritage with Land Cruiser/FJ Cruiser, INNOVATIVE (Yes, I said INNOVATIVE) SUVs like the RX, they make great cars, great hybrids, and they've sold a luxury car or two through some scrub off-shoot......I forget the name of it right now. But it's doing ok. Certainly nothing to shout about.

There is no variation there, its either trucks, suvs or sedans. Yawn! Toyota is the most uptight of the Japanese brands by far and no amount of warming over the same chassis to create sedans/suvs/trucks is going to count as any type of "variation". Toyota is about quality, reliable, transportation devices, period.

One sports car since 1993 is pitiful especially since according to all the Toyota worshipers here Toyota can do anything it wants. Apparently they can't make one truly exciting car.

Toyota and Lexus = Quality, Dullard, Consumer Goods.

M
    Even though Aston Martin shares all the underpinnings with Jaguar and Ford, they are passed of as platforms UNIQUE TO so and so.

This is absolutely incorrect now. The DB9, V8 Vantage and Vanquish are all built on specific Aston-Martin platform. Now how much of this "architecture" is shared with Jaguar's similarly all aluminum platform no one will know, but one thing is for sure there is nothing shared with a "Ford" at this point when it comes to Aston-Martin. True they did start with 2 Duratec V6s to make Aston's V12, but listen to one at idle at tell me do you hear anything remotely Fordish.

M
    I have to admit, I am very interested to see what Audi comes up with for the next A4. That car, as well as the next generation C class and G35, will probably be the biggest threat the 3 series has ever faced. BMW had better hope their turbo will be enough.
    Same old tired rant Oac.

Merc1: These statements of yours couldn't be any more wrong. Your constant ragging on Toyota/Lexus is nothing short of plain jealousness. SUVs and sedans... What does MB, Honda, Infiniti offer comparable to Toyota ? Give me a list of the products from these companies...or forever hold your dissing tongue against Toyota.

You stated that Toyota provided "variation" when in fact all they sell is a bunch of sedans/suvs/trucks with nothing else even worth looking at. You're the only one here that can't see this. The jealousness comment is interesting considering that was the basis for Lexus being formed in the first place and the majority of Lexus fans here can't mention anything about Lexus without mentioning Mercedes. If you look through the 07' LS thread you'll see the same sort of nonsense you see here about who and what is going to be destroyed, almost always it is Mercedes. That right there is "jealousy" plain and simple. In other threads about BMW/MB/Audi cars you don't see anything near the same level of bad mouthing and hate for competitors. This speaks volumes about who is jealous of who.

To compare Mercedes and Infiniti to Toyota is nonsense, but to compare them to Lexus is easy. Mercedes builds more sedans/coupes/convertibles/roadsters/sports cars than Lexus could ever imagine to build. Lexus builds one car with 2 doors and it drives like their largest and dullest 4-door. How bass ackwards is that? Infiniti builds an actual sports coupe, something again Lexus doesn't have. Lexus does have a convertible, something Infiniti doesn't have so they may be a wash there, but please spare yourself the embarrasement of comparing Lexus to MB or BMW when it comes to the variety of models on offer by the Germans.

Honda builds an actual sports car (S2000) and a fun to drive compact in the Civic Si compared to nothing from Toyota. At a Honda dealership there is more variety. Period.

You don't get to be almost #1 in the world for making and selling to only a FEW sections of the market.

Yawn, same old tired punchline. Too bad it is silly to brag about being "almost #1". Really desperate.

Name a market segment, Toyota has a product in it.... MB makes crappy SUVs, barely off the dealer lot R (sucks, and plain ugly), the G is an abomination to look at, ditto the A and Smart (eeeewwwww !!!), GL/M twins are poor attempts to buy market tightly owned by Toyota, and their sedans are simply cannibals of themselves.

This is call pressure rambling because it makes no sense and is barely readable. Why are you comparing Toyota to Mercedes? Again you're so lost here you mised the point by a country mile. You keep talking about what MB builds, but yet you're harping about Toyota and their endless line of SUVs. That is what I stated at the start, ALL TOYOTA CAN DO IS SUVS and this part of your "post" proves this. Try again when Toyota or Lexus can build a real roadsters, coupes or a sports car or even a 2-door car that hints at merely being "sporty" in addition to all their dullard SUVS and sedans.

Though I must say the fact that you can ramble off some of the different models Mercedes makes that are different from one another as they are from Toyota/Lexus yawner lineup, you do prove that your original point about Toyota having so much "variation" was never, ever valid.

Sports cars ? They are too few in sales to make anyone remember them....

Now lets look at this piece of the post shall we? No let me get this straight your favorite brand Toyota is currently testing the hell out of a that LF-A around the 'Ring because the sales are to few? Does that make any sense for the know-it-all Toyota? You gotta rehearse the rhetoric before posting it. Toyota/Lexus knows all to well what I and others have been saying for years about their stick in the mud image which is whey they have at least one sports/sporty car under development.

Honda ? What do they have again ? (Civic anyone ?) Infiniti ? M, G, FX, Q ? and these are diverse in your view ?

Oac are you reading what you post? Honda does have the Civic and more importantly they have the Civic Si, something the yawning Corolla lineup can't hope to match.

Infiniti has the M and G, yep and they make the G in Coupe form also. Something Lexus is rumored to be doing with the IS, so again yes at the moment the Infiniti G lineup is more diverse. You can't see that? All you get with your IS250/350 is 4-doors, there is no choice or "variation".

Take a brochure from a Toy or Lex dealership next time and go see for yourself before you spout off nonsensical stuff... Puleaze...

Apparently you're the one that hasn't a clue about what other brands offer and would do well by stopping off at a MB/BMW/Honda/Infiniti dealership to pick up a brochure yourself.

AGAIN - TOYOTA AND LEXUS MAKES ALL BORING SEDANS/SUVS/TRUCKS AND THERE ISN'T A SINGLE SPORTY OR SPORTS CAR OR NON-WOBBLY CONVERTIBLE IN THE BUNCH! OTHER CAR MAKERS OFFER MORE VARIETY. PERIOD.

M