Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    But the MB one ups the Lexus, it has the ability to drop 3 ratios instantly for for quick passing manuevers....So much for the brilliant minds at Toyota in hopes of one upping MB.

I believe that the LS460 can downshift at least 3 gears instantly, if not 4....can't remember which review that was in.

hence the S-Classes 5.1 secs to 60 and a 30-50mph passing time of only 3.2 seconds

You conveniently forgot to mention that that is with an engine that displaces about 20% more than in the LS. Let's wait until MB introduces an S450 (if they have the courage) for a more fair comparison. I predict the LS460 will beat the S450 in 0-60 and passing times, as well as in mpg.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    The XJ: This car is one of those rides that lives a life of obscurity. Such a reliable package(according to many reports) and a much improved interior and exterior design, the car should've done for Jag what the LS does for Lexus. I personally like the car. The build quality is impecable, and the company has not wavered to far from the British charm of over 50 years.

It's actually quite a car that many folks so easily fall in love with, but for a variety of reasons many less will part with their green to actually own one. There are simply more mainstream choices out there.

TagMan
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    A lot of that rides on expectations. Considering the cars weight, run-flat tires, and plusher-than-Benz SL interior, I'm not expecting a go-cart

What exactly makes the SC's interior "plusher" than the SL's? The SC interior is plush for sure, but it is an example of a company trying to reach to far to be something it isn't, elegant. All those different materials and colors jocking for attention make it a tacky mess in some colors, IMO. It looks custom made for the pinky ring set. BTW, it wasn't just me that said the SC430 handles like a boat, it has been any and every magazine and some Lexus owners right here that have also said the same thing, so it was hardly just me.

LS engineers have stated that the 7-speed running in the S-Class is really a 6-speed spliced into an additional gear ration, not a true 7-speed, so they didn't think very highly of modeling their tranny after that.

What nonsense. If that is the case then their 8-speed is nothing more than a 7-speed spliced into an additional gear "ratio" too. Anything to say that the competition didn't advance the transmission game and that they did is what that statement is saying, what a load.

M
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it team Lexus that was boasting about the LS displacing only 4.6L but churning out the same amount of power as a 5.5L Benz? My how times have changed so quickly. It doesn't matter about the displacement of either car. The Benz is heavier than the LS and one cog short of it's tranny, yet it rips to 60 in 1 second faster than the LS? It's not power, it's gearing. With 380hp on tap, 6.0 secs to 60 mph is just pathetic. Is it really 380? The Toyota Avalon Touring is just 400lbs lighter but also packing a much less powerful 3.5L 268hp V6(almost 120hp less) does the same thing for $30k cheaper, and is more fun to drive and is a better buy without all of the LS' frivilous features.

The 8 speed transmissions that are installed in the LS have received less than stellar reviews, particularly the review that Car and Driver gave it when it said the gearing was too tall on 1st 3rd and OD, and the transmission was lazy to react to the gas pedal, and forget about the manual mode. Then they go on to say that the Benz 7-G remains "top dog" in this class.
    I would LOVE to hyperlink, but my computer has all the agility of an 8-track player, and the article is posted on a major automotive website, and is less than a week old. Weekly publication website. Look at it as a Treasure Hunt!

Doc, when you have the web page on your screen, simply highlight the web address of the page you are viewing, and then "copy" the address. Then simply "paste " that address in your post. That way, we can all see the web address. Linking it is optional, but also easy, and would further require you to highlight the address after you paste it in your post and select the "url" button just below where you enter your post.

But if it is simple enough, just copy and paste the web page's address in the future.

BTW, it is a distinct pleasure to see you posting on the HELM forum, my friend, and I truly appreciate your input. Whether we agree or disagree is secondary.

:D

TagMan
    Here is the article on that transmission comment:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060905/FREE/60905003/1024/L- - ATESTNEWS

We decided right from the start. When we launched the LS430, BMW already had a six-speed, which beat us in the “world first” category. At that time we started studying eight speeds. We met with Aisin at a World Cup game (in Japan) about four years ago about the transmission’s development. The Mercedes S class has seven speeds, but sixth and seventh are so close that we think it’s just a six-speed.

Now because their first and second gears are so short does that make it just a 7-Speed is the question these engineers should be asked.

"We think it's just a 6-Speed".

Yeah sure.

M
    Clearly Lexus went after the S550 in terms of power so that is the car it should be compared with, not the imaginary S450. One minute the LS460 is the equal of the S550 and the next it isn't fair to compare it to the S550. Lexus clearly tried to match the S550's 5.5L V8 with a 4.6L V8, but just like I stated many months ago the engine in the LS needs to rev to get it's power Lexus knows this hence an 8-speed automatic.

That age old rule about their being no replacement for displacement seems to be in play here.

M
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Here are some of my favorite comments from some 2006 S class LS comparisons:

"Compared to the LS, the S class interior looks like a farm tractor. People who buy this car deserve better".

"The S class uses more gas than most SUVs".

"The S class is no match for the LS in terms of noise, vibration, and harshness".

"I won't even get into all the electronic glitches in the S and the crappy after sale service".

Well, I guess that about sums it up.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    As we all know, the Pursuit of Perfection continues.

The drivetrain should be extremely powerful, yet smooth as silk.

Hauntingly fast, yet technically efficient.

Eerily quiet, yet has a lion's growl when pushed.

The 750i has a pretty sweet engine too. :blush:

I think you'll be splitting hairs when comparing any one of the World's best engines.

But at 4.6 liters, the Lexus deserves special praise for standing up to engines much larger and coming to the show with a wink in it's eye. ;)

DrFill
    Here are some of my favorite comments from some 2006 S class LS comparisons:

ALL your favorite comps trash the S-Class? Well that sums up your point-of-view pretty well, doesn't it?

I'll bet you must think no one could do the same in reverse . . . but what would be the point really.

TagMan
    Apparently you did not read all the posts trashing the LS that preceded my post. My post was purely defensive. Sorry if you did not like it.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    The S-Type is reported to switch to the S80/MKS platform for '08. Even with AWD, the little dynamics that are left in the car will for sure be erased with a nose-heavy FWD-biased platform. The only good thing to come from this would be that Jag would be able to fix the S-Type's very cramped interior.

Bad idea. Instead of two, Ford\PAG will now have three very similar cars with similar price tags. The Volvo\Yamaha 4.4L V8 combination will also out power the more prestigious Jaguar, although I've read that engine is proving too costly, and Ford is going to discontinue using it.

But there is one shining star: The XK. I saw the XKR in person in the City yesterday. The car is so stunning yet still Jag-stealth, and understandably so. The Taurus-esque grille is gone on this model, and Jag is getting serious with the performance of this car with next years 550hp+ XKR+R.

Jaguar has done a great job of making the new XKR look more modern, more distinctive, and more macho without spoiling the looks of the old car. The bright wire grille looks fantastic. Definitely at the top of my must drive list.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    But at 4.6 liters, the Lexus deserves special praise for standing up to engines much larger and coming to the show with a wink in it's eye.

Why does it deserver praise?

Just to do it because they could? If you had to rev a Bentley (let’s say Continental GT – one of my favorites) in the same manner as the LS (obviously basing my opinion on others reviews) we’d all laugh.

We dismiss the higher revving 4.6L V8 (conjecture here…I’ve never driven it…just really shoot off at the mouth) because it’s “pretty good” for an engine of that size. In this category that is unacceptable.

Peak hp (in this class anyway) really is only useful for bragging purposes; which is why the diesels in Europe are popular (I suppose also the ga$...but if that is really a concern VW’s and Toyota’s are cheaper)

There are no engine size restrictions…so squeezing more hp out of a 4.6 may have cost more than developing a larger 5L or 6L.

It doesn’t appear that they needed a smaller engine to fit in the engine bay, or are concerned about weight distribution; so to save 1mpg (or so) you have to rev higher…or more so than the others.

Maybe I’m missing the whole “Lexus thing”; “why would you want to rev your Lexus?” Last LS I’ve driven was an LS400…so it’s been a while (MY 99 or so). But I can honestly say I found a 3 series more comfortable (for my driving style-why go slow when you can go fast?).
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Certainly the A8 along with the S-Class and the 7-Series all are impacted when it comes to Lexus' significant market share. The sales have to come from somewhere, and those are the other HELMS in the arena, so they are the ones that lose market share.

I respectfully disagree with your notion that the A8, 7 series and S Class are pre-destined to lose market share. I strongly believe that all car companies can avoid declining market share by redefining their new generation models with exciting features and specs. In the case of the new S-Class there is no need for MB to redefine anything in terms of remaining competitive. In fact the S Class may take market share from the new LS, especially if a new S430 or even better a S320 Blutec diesel is introduced.

And just wait a few more years for the car that will give the upcoming Porsche Panamera a run for its money: The BMW 7 Series, ofcourse. ;)
    Hey Tagman,

you wrote the following in a prior post:

Certainly the A8 along with the S-Class and the 7-Series all are impacted when it comes to Lexus' significant market share. The sales have to come from somewhere, and those are the other HELMS in the arena, so they are the ones that lose market share.

Hey Dewey,
    That was a response to your post 18678.

This, however, you just posted:

I strongly believe that all car companies can avoid declining market share by redefining their new generation models with exciting features and specs.

If all companies avoid declining market share, then the market is basically stagnant, with only population growth as the source of growth. Sales growth occurs from two sources: first from an increased population of buyers, and second from the competition.

It is not realistic for models to change fast enough anyway. The "newness" wears off and the model has to reach the end of its cycle before the replacement comes. Sales are typically weakest at the end of the cycle, and strongest at the beginning, although this is not a rule.

So, while your idea of redefining their new generation models is good, those models will still go through their respective cycles.

The bottom line in all of this is that there are always going to be some of the models at the end of the cycles while there are others at the beginning, and competition will force the buyer to make a choice. Brand loyalty is a factor, but not a requirement of a buyer.

Therefore . . . market share will shift, and there will be winners (gainers) and losers.

The LS460, IMO, will gain market share. And that means someone will lose market share that they might have otherwise had. And that leaves Mercedes, BMW, and to a smaller extent, Audi.

For the sake of clarification, I am not in the least suggesting that Lexus's gain in market share will seriously harm Mercedes or BMW, but I have no doubt that there will be increasing sales lost to the new and improved Lexus LS460 that otherwise would have gone to MB or BMW.

TagMan
    Well the good news is at least one of us is right.

We will let time be the judge and await future sales data to see who is right or wrong.
    What's that phrase everyone's pop has said a billion times??
    A job worth doing is worth doing right. If it can't be right, then don't do it at all. Ah, brings back memories...

Jag, IMO, doesn't know where to go with the S and X-type's. As the competition rises, these to along with their Saab comp. gets left in the dust. It's great to remain humble to the company, but in this business and in this class of car, humbleness get's you wiped off of the page.

I read too that the Japanese-built Yamaha V8 is costly to the company. Most of the reason being that the Yamaha company can't crank out enough to meet capacity and the engine costs 3 times as much to build a 4.6/5.4 modular Ford V8. You pay for what you get as Yamaha is known in the motorcycling and boating world to be the best, and judging from the past ventures with Ford with the Taurus SHO, the engines proved to be the best all around-performers with Toyota-like smoothness. Can't quite figure out the low-output of the 3.2L inline 6 either. With only 235hp, it seems that the engine should've best been left alone and just give the go ahead with the Duratec 35, as in previous years and generations.

As to the XKR, a definete must drive this year for me also. The reports have been generous for the XKR, a fresh breath for Jag.
    Why would an LS460 "need to rev"?

It goes 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.

What would I be revving it for?

The LS460 doesn't "need" anything! :mad:

Except maybe a comparison test. ;)

DrFill
    [S550] rips to 60 in 1 second faster than the LS

Both companies report their cars at 5.4s. In arriving at your 1s claimed advantage, you appear to have picked the very worst carmag measurement for the LS and the very best carmag measurement for the S. In truth, the most rational way to compare is to take an average of all the carmag results for the S and compare to an average of all carmag results for the LS. Problem is, not too many carmags have yet presented 0-60 times (other than the offical Lexus number) for the LS. So the comparison will have to wait for some months. I would be willing to wager $100,000 that the difference, if in the S's favor, will not be as high as 1 second. If you are agreeable to such a wager, contact me through the host and we can each leave the money in escrow with a law firm.

I will grant that when a proper and fair comparison of 0-60 times is made, the S550 may top the LS460. What are you going to say down the road if and whn MB gets around to introducing an S450?

Back on the S550:

The Benz is heavier than the LS and one cog short of it's tranny

This whole line of discussion started when you started questioning the ability of the Lexus engineers. Well, let's take a look at your comment about weight and cogs. Does it reflect well on MB engineers that they managed to design a car that likely will prove to have less total room (passenger + trunk), yet weighs so much more that you use weight as an excuse for needing an extra 20% displacement to possibly outrace Lexus? Does it also reflect well on the MB engineers that their AT has 7 speeds to Lexus's 8?
    0-60, and .30 in the quarter mile!

So?

Does that make the S550 a better buy? A better luxury car? Worth the $20k premium?

By the first week of November, we will have a comparison test to digest, and I expect Lexus' value to carry the day.

I'm sure the S550 is an incredible car! :)

Does anyone see a way Mercedes can bring a S450 over here, and have it be competitive? :confuse:

BTW, the LS460 has a Handling/Performance option, so handling/braking stats on the other models is not indicative of the LS' ability.

DrFill
    Can't quite figure out the low-output of the 3.2L inline 6 either. With only 235hp, it seems that the engine should've best been left alone and just give the go ahead with the Duratec 35, as in previous years and generations.

There is some sense in letting Volvo continue to use their own 5 and 6 cylinder engines, rather than just handing them a Duratec. It allows them to keep some individuality, as opposed to Saab, which is basically a mish-mash of Chevy\Opel parts.
  • joshusmithjoshusmith Member Posts: 8
    I will be at the taste of lexus event in October to decide which one I am going to buy,

LS or S550. It seems like Lexus will offer competitor cars for the event. Pretty generous I think.

Anyone else registered?

Test drove and found S550 to be not that impressive as it is made out to be. The interior looks similar to BMW. And the the car isnt any better than the previous one.
    According to lexus the 0-60 is 5.4 sec.

So what is the issue here. Is it not true??
    Why would an LS460 "need to rev"?

It goes 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.

And it needs revs and short gearing to get there going by most of the reviews so far. Why? Because it is short on low end torque, that is the difference between 4.6 liters and 5.5 liters of V8.

M
    I've been reading this about BMW and Lexus regarding market share, but I think it will be Mercedes, BMW and Audi in that order that will feel the impact of the LS460. People who like the BMW's ride and feel aren't going to shop a Lexus LS no matter how closely it resembles a BMW, that being arguable too IMO. The S and LS is the championship fight here, the main even here not the other Euros. When some ponder a Lexus LS the only other car that comes up is the S-Class, and every now and then, very rarely a 7-Series.

M
    BTW, the LS460 has a Handling/Performance option

On the mass-produced LS460 or the 30%-production LS460L?

Hey Doc,

BTW, the idea of an engine needing to rev is dependant upon its power curves, (torque and hp), so in the case of the LS460 engine, the Lexus tranny engineers knew that the LS460 engine's lack of low-end torque meant that the engine needed to rev up to reach sufficient torque to propel the car quickly off the line.

Too achieve this, they provided 1st and 2nd gears with very low ratios, which allow the engine to more quickly achieve the higher rpm's it "needs" to deliver its power more efficiently . . . because the engine's power exists at those higher rpms.

Doc, if you ever rode a 10-speed bike, or similar, when you were younger (heck, maybe you still ride one), you would remember how you needed to be in low gear to get an instant start from a standstill, and then quickly you would shift to the higher gear ratios.

Same principal applies to the engine/tranny. The point that keeps being made regarding the LS460 engine is that it does not provide a lot of low end torque, and that the Lexus tranny engineers addressed that issue by providing the necessary low gears to deliberately cause the vehicle to accelerate quickly.

It's not a "right or wrong" thing here. It is, however, something that should be acknowledged rather than denied.

It's too easy to say "it doesn't matter . . . the car accelerates 0-60 in 5.4 seconds". It's much better to understand what had to be done to accomplish that, IMO.

TagMan
    I've been reading this about BMW and Lexus regarding market share, but I think it will be Mercedes, BMW and Audi in that order that will feel the impact of the LS460.

100% agreement here.

TagMan
    Your S8 has been official priced at 92K, with about 13.5K available in total options.

The S6 has been priced at 72K, with about $8550 available in total options. That base price is a steal compared to what a E63 or M5 can cost with options and loaded a S6 is still about 10K or so cheaper than a loaded E63 or M5. Now the RS6 is going to be 90K for sure!

M
    The S6 has been priced at 72K, with about $8550 available in total options. That base price is a steal compared to what a E63 or M5 can cost

Is it? The S6 doesn't really compete with those cars. Its more performance than the 550i and E550, but definitely less than the M5 and E63, similar to the S-type R. Its a "tween" car.
    The S6 doesn't really compete with those cars. Its more performance than the 550i and E550, but definitely less than the M5 and E63, similar to the S-type R. Its a "tween" car.

Yes this is true and Audi knows it, hence the "in between" pricing. That said I still thinks it makes a decent (if not outstanding) alternative to the AMG/M cars.

M
    it will be Mercedes, BMW and Audi in that order that will feel the impact of the LS460

Don't know about Audi, since they are so miniscule in this country anyway, but I do agree that MB should prove more affected than BMW, since despite an effort (and imho some success) to be a bit more sporty, the LS remains closer in character to the S than to the 7.
    Thanks for explaining a bicycle to me.

Anyway, if the LS "needs to rev" it only becomes relevant, or a demerit, if the car has to get out of character (NVH) to perform the task.

That would be rather difficult, since most critics complain the LS is too "soulless" as a driving companion.

This is just another recourse for haters, trying to keep Lexus down. Side-stepping the innovation of the 8th speed, to attack the "need" for two low gears.

The current LS hits 60 in less than 6 seconds, and is as fast as the S500 was, but the Next LS will do it even faster, but will be lesser for having to "rev"?

Oh, the desperation. :sick:

I'm awaiting a true comparison tests, or my own comparison at the "Taste of Lexus" event in October, to get a sound judgement on the ascention of the Next LS.

DrFill
    I love wagons so much that I bought one(in case nobody has ever read my posts before I own a BMW 530xi Touring).

But I dont know what MB is thinking with the vehicle below? It is a CLS grafted on a E Class wagon. Does that mean we will we be seeing a CLS Touring wagon? Makes no sense to me expecially with AMG versions of the E Class wagon.

Autospies Link

Thanks for explaining a bicycle to me.

lol . . . I was only referring to the gears. Didn't mean to be disrespectful.

This is just another recourse for haters, trying to keep Lexus down. Side-stepping the innovation of the 8th speed, to attack the "need" for two low gears.

Well, if you re-read my post or any of my other posts that relate to this, I do not believe I have expressed any hate, nor did I "attack" the "need" for the two low gears. As we ultimately look into every aspect of these HELM vehicles, particularly the new ones, it is inevitable that we will understand the different natures of the different beasts.

With all due respect, what is so "innovative" about adding yet one more speed to a transmission anyway?

If you see me being "hateful", you can call me on it, how's that sound? I am more interested in taking a close look at these vehicles for what they are and aren't, than generating any hateful spins regarding these vehicles. How 'bout you?

:)

TagMan
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I wish we'd drop all the categorizations of other people like "haters" - it's inflammatory and gets us nowhere good in a meaningful conversation. People are certainly entitled to express differing opinions and don't need to be called "haters" because they did so.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Superfluous.

Maybe they intend to drop the E-wagon?

On second glance, that car has the E-class taillights. Must be a hack job (excellently executed) somebody put together.
    Desperation??

It seems that it may be a few of the folks on your team that are desperate. Why do you have to speculate on the 8-speed tranny that only last yeat was seen as frivilous when MB put out the 7-G.? How does the 8-Speed erase the needless 7 speed that was deemed overkill?

And to boot, why the need to brag on the handling/perf. package that Lexus is "supposed" to have this go 'round? I thought that LS buyers didn't care about those types of things? Hopefully this time around they won't leave these laughable attempts on the docks in Huro, Japan.
    MB has always been conservative with the speeds of their cars, just like EVERY German car company.

The 0-60 in 5.1 secs has been recorded by more than five entities, so this is not something that is made up. Take for instance my 5000 pound S600 that's on the way. MB has it getting to 60 in 4.6 secs. Well the model tested in MotoCar goes to 60 in 4 secs flat, the same the car I tested at the dealership.

The need for the LS to have 8 cogs in solely on attempt to (1) one up the supposed too-much 7-G, and (2) keep the car well in it's rev range to try and keep up with the MB's and BMW's. No matter how you cut it, the 4.6L has to be wrung out just to crack out 6.0 secs to 60. There is no replacement for displacement.

Do you know for a fact that the LS will have more room than the S-Class. For sure the LWB may prove a bit more roomy than a S, but it won't outshine a 750iL and definetely not a A8L in any dimension. The S's trunk however, is 23 cu.ft, the largest in the segment. I don' think Lexus will be topping that, even with the Bangle-esque trunk.

BTW: Why the need to pit a less powerful S450 against the S550 power matching LS460? Oh, just like that test when a S430 was pitted against the LS430? That may be the only time a LS outpaces a S550, and barely then. Keep your money, you'll need it to pay for the LS600hL.
    Sep 06, 2006 (Detroit Free Press - McClatchy-Tribune Business News via COMTEX) -- The newly named chief executive officer Allan Mually of Ford Motor Co. drives a Lexus LS 430, the flagship luxury sedan from Toyota Motor Corp. that he unabashedly says he purchased because "it's the finest car in the world."

I have a strong feeling that Allan Mually is an Edmunds member. In fact I can almost swear that I recently had a heated debate with him in this forum . ;)
    The S's trunk however, is 23 cu.ft, the largest in the segment.

MB's website puts it at 16.3 cu ft, and the EPA puts it at 16.

Do you know for a fact that the LS will have more room than the S-Class. For sure the LWB may prove a bit more roomy than a S, but it won't outshine a 750iL and definetely not a A8L in any dimension.

Kind of typical germancarfan thinking, just blithely assuming that the Germans are on top in all respects. And no, I don't know for a fact re the LS460, which is why I used the term "likely" in my original post. Why is it likely? EPA data here show the following:

interior / trunk / total cu ft

2007 S550 109 16 125
    2006 750li 105 18 123
    2006 A8 L 107 15 122
    2006 LS430 107 16 123
    2007 LS460L ??? 18* ??? (*Lexus data, reported as being measured with EPA methodology)

So the old LS, despite being SWB, is already roomier (total cu ft) than the A8 L and as roomy as the 750Li. It doesn't take alot of imagination to believe that with an extra 5 in of legroom, the LS460L will be, as I stated, likely at least as roomy as the S550, despite being lighter in weight.
    And so now it takes the EPA to back up what you think Lexus is supposed to be?? Since when has the EPA been correct on anything, especially the horridly incorrect fuel econ numbers? If you want to put up a valid argument, please use a credible source. For instance, they say the Hyundai Elantra has more room inside than a Honda Accord. Where??

As to the MB's trunk, that is with rear a/c and 4 passenger seating with the twin buckets in rear, which reduces trunk capacity. Please post the standard dimensions next time as this has proven to be a less effective way of disproving ones point, typical Toyota likeliness.

Just so you know, the LS430 is not as roomy as any of the LWB models of the cars in it's class. The Audi has the rear seat of a limo, and the 750iL's cabin is so cavernous that it's often called "too big". This, again, is the wishful thinking of someone who is disingeneuously trying to prove a point. Please don't bring a butter knife to a machete match. This works better on the LS threads that you frequent.
    I agree with you, the new LS should be roomier than any of the germans yet more nimble.

I think LS 460 has the germans beat in every respect including handling.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=3902
    So far from the reviews it seems like the LS 460 is as fast or faster than S550 and much smoother.

WHo cares about gears and torque settings. So long as it is smoother and faster thats what matters.

I suspect that if Lexus was using a 5.5 L engine and mercedes was using 4.6L, then 4.6L would be good and 5.5L would be bad.

Talk about honesty!
    The EPA is not always right but in this case I think I will take their word over yours. At least they are right some of the time.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

No one is trying to put the LS460 down because it has to rev to make power and match the acceleration of the S550, nor is anyone here implying that it going to be loud when doing so. We all know Lexus has never built a "loud" car and they never will.

The point is that just because 2 cars have similar hp ratings doesn't mean they are equal. It seems to me that unless you really give the LS460 the boot it won't give the feeling of power that a S550 does, thats all.

What creates the fallout here is just what BH mentioned. When MB came out with their 7-speed it was deemed pointless and matterless and just a show of needless engineering and now that Lexus is going the same route of more gears for whatever reasons it is supposed to be hailed some type of gift-to-the-automobile innovation.

Truth of the matter is, except for some engine-related technologies, all of the "advancements" the LS460 brings to the table are based on existing technologies and/or the improvement of them by adding a previously unavailable feature. Some of, well no most of them done by MB a few years ago or last year with the new S and some from Toyota's own Prius.

M
    please use a credible source

When it comes to measuring interior and cargo space, I'd prefer to rely on a consistently applied quantitative methodology such as specified by EPA, rather than hearsay and subjective opinion such as 'so cavernous that it's often called "too big"'.
    Most of the technologies in LS 460 are original and unprecedented.

None of them have been at mercedes before. Mercedes will be following what Lexus innovates today.

Whether its inefficient engines, or safety technology, or driving dynamics, mercedes lacks and lags behind everywhere.

Mercedes was using and is still using 3-valve technology in its engines. Even Hyundai has moved to four.

That shows how far behind mercedes is.

First mercedes should match hyundai and then we will talk about its dreams of matching lexus, if ever.

When LS 460 was introduced, S550 became obsolete that very day. A stunning achievement for Lexus. But I am not surprised. Lexus has always been years ahead of mercedes anyway.

What mercedes could not achieve in 120 years, Lexus achieved in less than 17.

Hyundai refused to collaborate with daimler as they think its below their dignity.
    Well said. Thats the best way to bust myths about germans.

One day I will write a book on german myths.

1. Superior technology
    2. better handling: Thats another myth
  • warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    This discussion has descended to elementary school levels. Is there anyone on earth who buys an LS, or an S, or a 7, who cares about a 0.1 sec difference in 0-60? When is the last time you saw an S500 square off against an LS430 at the local stoplight?

Does anyone, more than 12 years old, care whether the slushbox has 6 or 7 or 8 gears, except to the extent it affects the actual driving experience?

And no one here, so far as I can tell, has actually driven either the new LS or S! But, by damn, my adopted marque is better than yours because I say so.

I can't believe you guys.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    The number of valves hardly seperates low-tech from high-tech. Mercedes-Benz makes some of the best engines in the worlds, so does Toyota/Lexus be it with 3 valves or 4.