Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Just did the first fill-up on my Odyssey Touring and it got 17.3 mpg with about 90% of the miles in town. Given that it has fewer than 400 miles on it, I can't complain and feel confident it will come close to (if not hit) its EPA numbers.

For what it's worth, the MID "instant mileage" reading on the freeway is always about 28.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    "MID instant mileage reading on the freeway is always about 28" is quite compelling evidence that the EPA 28 highway is correct and not difficult to achieve.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    It is? So we have lots of anecdotal evidence that 28 is, at best, rather difficult to achieve (giving the benefit of the doubt), but one person's reading on one van based on MID instant mileage constitutes compelling evidence that the EPA numbers are correct and not difficult to reach. Seems like a bit of an overreach.
    Agreed, I don't believe it is evidence of anything, at least not yet. Will find out soon when we head south to Florida. The vehicle will have over 1000 miles on it by the time we hit the coastal plains.
  • xfactorxfactor Member Posts: 78
    Best 31.5 MPG
    Worst 22 MPG
    Average mixed driving 26.5 MPG
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the What about fuel types & gas mileage? discussion for general info on mpg.

Steve, Host
    I rushed my post. The Accord has a 4 cyl. is lighter and under similar driving circumstances achieves about 4 MPG over my 99 HO. The 2005 HO under similar driving circumstances gets 2.5 MPG less than the 99 HO and 5.5 - 7.5 MPG less than Accord.

In reviewing my log for gas fill-ups I have noticed the major difference between the Accord and the vans is the Accord has a much tighter band of MPG per fill-up vs. the average gas mileage.

Simply put, If I get caught for an hour or two in slow traffic or leave cruise control off on a long trip the Van MPG falls at a faster rate from the vans average MPG than the Accord does.

Just an observation sorry if off topic.
  • rgb2rgb2 Member Posts: 31
    Second tank with 91 octane gas, 95% city driving, occasional A/C use - 18.4 mpg.
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    Actually, with the laws of physics in mind, none of what you say is at all surprising. On the new 2005 models, the 4 cylinder Accord weighs about 3200 lbs. while the 6 cylinder Odyssey weighs about 4500 lbs.

Pretty much you gain nothing on mileage for that extra 1300 lbs., but you pay to change its inertia every time you accelerate the minivan.

In addition, it will naturally take more gasoline (close to half-again as much most likely?) to idle 6 cylinders than it will to idle 4.

The point is that the comparison to an Accord, provides no new nor unexpected insights. I would also say that the comparison to older model Odysseys provides little insight.

Like the "muscle cars" of old, the thing that started out pretty "lean and mean" has bloated with the comforts the public demands. Alas, "lean and mean" implies sparsity, efficiency, physicality, and activity; each the very antithesis of "creature comfort."

If we want to haul around a mass of safety, comfortable, luxurious, and technological excess; then we should not be surprised to have to pay a price for it.

But you may say, "Yes, but durn-burn-it (this is a family forum afterall!) they promised me all that and great gas mileage too!" Oh my! Merchants have stretched the limits of truth! When did that ever happen before?!? (Or should we ask: When didn't it happen?)

Sorry, but you'll just have to justify your choice on the benefits it provides you, realizing that fuel efficiency isn't one of them.
    Excellent post that contains a good analysis of actual gas mileage of 3 very well known vehicles.
    My apologies dilbertzzz if my post left you with the impression I was blaming honda or the dealer. The 2005 HO is overall an outstanding vehicle that wins out in many categories compared to other vans and non-vans. The focus of this forum is MPG and not why did you buy your van so if an observation is posted regarding disappointment with MPG vs. expectations it does not mean the person is unhappy with the van. As for MPG fitting into a purchase decision it is difficult to do with a new model as enough information is not out there yet and quite frankly is irrelevant if other comparisons have already chosen a clear winner (Provided your not getting under 15 mpg).

Part of the issue here is people (including me) have high expectations of Honda which they meet for the most part. The HO is now merely on par with the competition when it comes to MPG.

To put this all in perspective getting 28 MPG vs. 24 MPG over 150,000 miles @ $2 per gallon costs an additional $1,786 or @ 20,000 miles per year $19.84 per month. 22 mpg vs. 18 mpg is $3,030 over life & $33.66 per month. The savings on better gas mileage is $2,126 and $3,624 when throwing in investment returns @ 3.65%

As for the comparison's I posted your summary of the data I provided was well written.

One question you state

"In addition, it will naturally take more gasoline (close to half-again as much most likely?) to idle 6 cylinders than it will to idle 4."

Does this mean in stop dead traffic the VCM is feeding gas to all 6 cyc, vs. 3?
    Thanks. I have followed these boards for some time and have run across your posts more then once and many of them offer insight into trim line and comparisons I had not previously considered.
    No, actually, I am the one to apologize to you. I began my post as a response to your comparison of the Accord and the last-generation Odyssey and quickly changed over to address those who seem terribly offended by the fact that the gas mileage doesn't measure up to the EPA estimates. I also seem to have implied that your information was useless. For that and the lack of clarity of who and what I was addressing, I do apologize.

Having said all that, I will (very cautiously!) try to add that the weight of the 2005 Odysseys vary considerably (LX 4378 lbs. EX 4475, EX-L 4537, and Touring 4634). This does not include the highly-variable bulk of those of us who might be driving these things. ;-)

We all acknowledge that driving habits are a major reason for varying gas mileage results. The newly-bulked up Odyssey (the 2004 EX weighed in at 4375 lbs.) adds just a bit more mass that must be accelerated each time a lead-foot like me goes at it.

What's more, I could not agree more with the points you make. We would all like the better gas mileage, but the Odyssey is an excellent choice for many folks in many (most?) other ways regardless.

As for VCM, I don't know whether it kicks in at idle. But I do know it is only on the EX-L and Touring.

I guess the short and sweet of it ("AT LAST!" you might say) is addressed to those who just can't seem to get over the relative lack of gas mileage they are seeing:

Get over it!

If you can't then take xfactor's figures into account and decide whether you can get all the other features that you want in some other product and still not have to pay more than the two to not-quite-four thousand dollars that the mileage difference might cost you over 150,000 miles.
  • ntbillntbill Member Posts: 20
    I bought a Dodge Caravan SE 2005 in Canada, this winter. In Canada, we use kilometers instead of miles, and we use liters instead of gallons. So, I did some maths to transform my numbers:

1st tank (city): 20 l/100km -> 11.8 mpg
    2nd tank (highway): 12 l/100km -> 19.6 mpg

I don't know if my maths are ok, but it seems like it takes a lot of gaz to run this van. The other tanks should improve mpg, I hope.
  • etaeta Member Posts: 33
    Your math looks fine fwiw. A common mistake is to use Imperial (British) gallons instead of US gallons (1 US gallon = 0.83 Imperial gallons).

The city mileage seems especially low -- might be due to using winterized fuel / driving a cold engine?

ETA
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Last two tanks on the 05 Quest SL were 18.9 (driving in a snowstorm) and 24.1 (mostly highway at 75 mph).

Previous four tanks average 22 mpg.
  • hgerechthgerecht Member Posts: 2
    I am a new subscriber who is thinking of purchasing this vehicle with 27000 miles and under warranty until 6/06. Does anyone have any feedback for me, anything I should know, how and where can I find the fair market value, etc? Thanks
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    1st tank : 17.5 mpg, mostly stop and go, and temp was in the 20's & 30's.

It was very easy to jam on the go pedal and get instant gratification while driving. You really have to work at it to refrain yourself.
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    My 70+ yr. old neighbor lady says she is getting 23-29 MPG. Our local driving would be rural/suburban with very little heavy duty stop and go. She also made a trip from PHX to SF and back. Says she drives speed limit + 5 MPH. The vehicle has 2400 miles on it.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    You might get an answer if you post this on the Dodge Forum.
  • wastrelwastrel Member Posts: 10
    Mileage is not a constant, the variables are expotential: but it's history is an indicator of the condition of a specific vehile. for what it's worth?

1)breakin 50to160km = 330km
    highway 120km = 330km
    vicinity Toronto = 219km
    total trip 879K 7.33K/L 16.75 M/USGal

2)Toronto to North Bay 764K 8.77K/L 20.1 M/USGal
    combo 8.13K/L
    Hwy 9.40K/L
    3)NB to Sudbury 185K 5.96K/L 14.1 M/USGal
    4)NB to Sudbury 369K 7.47K/L 17.0 M/USGal
    5) 161K 5.99K/L 14.2 M/USGal
    6)NB to Toronto 376K 9.93K/L 21.2 M/USGal
    7)Toronto vicinity 588K 8.36K/L 14.9 M/USGal
    8)TO. to NB & vic. 549K 7.84K/L 18.6 M/USGal
    9)NB vin to TO. vic 581K 7.80K/L 18.5 M/G
    10) vicinity 420K 5.46K/L 12.9 M/G
    11)NB to TO. & vic 432K 6.64K/L 15.7 M/G
    12)TO to NB & vic 465K 7.39K/L 17.5 M/G
    13)NB to TO. & vic 513K 7.32K/L 17.3 M/G
    14) 599K 6.65K/L 15.6 M/G
    15)NB 418K 5.97K/L 14.2 M/G
    16)NB to TO & vic 619K 6.65K/L 20.3 M/G
    17)NB to TO 379K 7.1 K/L 18. M/G
    18)NB to TO. 300K 9.2 K/L 22.1 M/G
    19)NB 230K 6.75K/L 9.2 M/G
    20) 574K 8.15K/L 17.7 M/G
    21)To vic 145K 6.03K/L 7.14 M/G
    22) 570K 8.15K/L 18.5 M/G
    23)NB to TO. vic 469K 7.57K/L 16.4 M/G
    24)TO vicinity 279K 5.6 K/L 13. M/G
    25)NB to TO vic 796K 10.6K/L 19.8 M/G
    26)TO. to NB 421K 6.29K/L 17.7 M/G
    27) NB vicinity 258K 4.3 K/L 15.6 M/G
    these numbers represent day 1 to present 23000K=
    14375miles
    for comparison 95 Aerostar all wheel drive
    454km 6.98K/L 16.5 M/US Gal
    422km 6.60K/L 15.6 M/USGal
    ETA wrote:
    "The city mileage seems especially low -- might be due to using winterized fuel / driving a cold engine?"

Yes, that's right, it was in cold winter, in winter we always have bad numbers, but spring is coming fast, so MPG should improve to better numbers, like numbers other persons posted here about there minivans. The Dodge Caravan 2005 is supposed to have numbers near those of Toyota Sienna 2005 and Honda Odyssey 2005, so I'll continue to check my numbers as the outside temp is raising.
  • dmaydmay Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE MADE SEVERAL TRIPS FROM DAYTON OH.TO TAMPA FLA. MPG. 27.19; 26.22; 24.80; 24.50; 25.37; 25.80; 27.26; 26.94. ALL TRIPS MADE DURING WINTER OR FALL.MY CITY MILEGE RUNS BETWEEN 21-23 MPG.
    "1st tank (city): 20 l/100km -> 11.8 mpg
    2nd tank (highway): 12 l/100km -> 19.6 mpg"

WOW, 3rd tank (city): 15.5 mpg

Well, I won't do a party for 15.5 mpg, which I still consider a lot of gaz to run, but it's much better than 11.8 and it shows that the fist tanks are not good numbers after all, maybe due to engine break in.

I'll post more numbers after a couple more tanks.
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    As a follow-up ...

I mentioned in an earlier post that for the first 13,500 miles on our '04 Sienna LE, we averaged 21.3 mpg, and I've been pleased with that. Best sustained mileage was a trip we took last year - 25.9 mpg.

In addition, I just had to make an unexpected trip to Tampa and back (from northern Virginia) - I did the 1,825 miles in three days. I did not employ the best gas-saving driving habits - quite the opposite! I would routinely travel at 10 to 15 mph over the speed limit (and was still passed frequently) and despite the speed, I averaged 25.1 mpg. I think that's darn good, especially considering that I had a passenger and a large number of bags and boxes in the back on the return trip.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "With gas prices at record highs, it's time to learn the truth about maximizing your miles per gallon."

IndyStar.com

Steve, Host
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    just got back from a 600 mile weekend trip (first long drive since just after we bought it in Dec.). Started with about 2.2K on it, so decently broken in.

Got about 23.5 mpg overall, better by at least 10% over what our Quest got on the same drive. this is a combo of local highway, around town (not stop and go, more rural), and interstate. The interstate peice is on some hilly stretches, and included 80+ at times, and usually 70-75.

Going up, I got 24.5, and about 22.5 coming home today. But, most of the trip was in a torrential rain (with the defrost cranking), and a long stretch stopped on the NJ Turnpike. I usually got better mileage on the return leg with the old van.

So, averaging almost 24mpg on this drive was pretty impressive to me. I have no doubt that I could pull close to 28 on a open highway stretch with the cruise set near 70 (and without the hills and rain).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• vipinguptavipingupta Member Posts: 21
    Couple of days back I refilled my Sienna for the first time. I got around 23.3 mpg with 80% HWY + 20 % City driving. I think that is good number considering the first 400 odd miles on my car. I did not accelrate or nreak hard and car never crossed 2500 rpm.
  • daddyddaddyd Member Posts: 22
    We averaged between 20-22 mpg.
    Mixed driving with 70-80 mph on the freeway and 30% around-town driving.

The Toyota highlander that we previously owned (2001 V6 2wd) got pretty much the same milage over its lifetime.
    That is surprising to me since the Ody is heavier, has a bigger engine and more horsies....
    I agree the Odyssey should hit its EPA highway figure of 28 in such conditions.

We returned Sunday from a 2500 mile roundtrip to Florida with 3 people and lots of luggage aboard. Our Touring had 639 miles on it when we left. Got 27 mpg on I-95 in Georgia and Florida doing 70 mph going down. Running closer to 80 dropped the mileage by 3-4 mpg.

Coming back, got about 26 mpg in the hilly terrain of Virginia and West Virginia.

The on-board computer registered about 1 mpg less than actual useage.
  • badmpgbadmpg Member Posts: 1
    I could not agree more with you since I am enduring the same pain. If you are beginning a class action I would definitely sign on.

I have a little over 2K miles on my Odyssey and the best mpg I have had is ~15mpg. This is combined city and Highway.

Given that the mpg played a major factor in my decision to purchase the 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L I am gravely disappointed to say the least.
  • eric6eric6 Member Posts: 10
    I just tested my last tank of gas. I have a 2002 T & C Model ex with the 3.8 L. Driving conditions 85 - 90% city driving. Very little A/C use. I got 16 MPG. :shades:

Eric
    Gas mileage on 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L V6 mostly city was 18.8 MPG while previous tank mostly highway was 25.3 MPG. Still too cold to need the A/C much. Trip computer reads about 3 % higher than manual computation.
  • cappy4103cappy4103 Member Posts: 48
    With combined city/hwy driving, we average 19-21 mpg. On the highway through hills of NYS and PA, we get about 23 mpg. On a trip from NY to FL with four adults, two kids and respective luggage, driving 72-75 mph we got 25 -26 mpg.
  • kmh_kykmh_ky Member Posts: 7
    Just got back from a weekend trip in KY/ So IN. We put three tankfulls of gas in. Got 24 mpg with first one (60% hwy), 22 mpg next (70% hwy, but driving rain and high wind), and 30.1mpg on the return trip (all hwy, ~72 mph, rolling hills, 2 adults, 2 kids and luggage, about 2K miles on the van total since we bought it). I was surprised myself to see 30, proves you (or rather I) can meet the EPA numbers depending on conditions. This seems similar to my experience w/ other cars - you can meet epa hwy ratings but "usually" fall a bit short. In town, we seem to average around 20 mpg. Not bad for 4500lbs and 250 hp - beats the socks off any full -size SUV I have ever heard of....
    Thanks for another example of getting better highway gas mileage than the EPA Highway estimate.
    It has not been difficult for me to exceed the 24 MPG highway estimate for my 2002 T&C LX and it has exceeded 30 MPG on a round trip. However, I have had less than the 18 MPG city rating...especially in the winter. Overall average mileage is now 22.4 MPG.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Took trip down to Florida in brothers 2002 Pontiac Montana. Averaged a little over 24 mpg hwy.That was crusing between 70-75 mph from Louisville Ky to Destin Florida...around 640 miles.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I read somewhere, that you can get better mileage using your cruise control except when driving in mountains. There you'll do better with the cruise off.
  • rgb2rgb2 Member Posts: 31
    I have an interesting way to determine your optimal speed for most MPG. Look at the minimal amount of pressure on the gas pedal requred to maintain constant speed. An example of a foot computer ;)
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...to maintain constant speed."

Umm, doesn't a cruise control do this? :confuse:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Cruise control maintains constant speed, but it does not tell measure pressure on the gas pedal.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. But the original post was to maintain best mpg by maintaining minimum pressure on the gas TO MAINTAIN CONSTANT SPEED.

I was not aware that one could apply a range of pressures on the gas pedal and still maintain constant speed? If I'm going down a level interstate at 70 mph, there is only ONE pressure to apply to maintain 70; the 'minimum' pressure needed to maintain 70 just happens to be the same as the 'maximum' pressure. Likewise, it I start up a hill, and want to maintain a constant speed, I'll have to increase the pressure. Again, to maintain that 70mph, the 'minimum' pressure just happens to be the same as the 'maximum' pressure.

Edmunds needs to add a "sarcasm" emoticon.....unfortunately, I'd probably overuse it.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    These are typical mpg figures for me. All fill-ups were at least 14 gallons. A/C on constantly for all checks. Nearly all tanks are in town. These are in order from purchase date (I can't find some of my records). 11.39 16.58 16.77 19.36 16.70 20.05 14.51 16.85 19.22 15.75 16.14 (The EPA city estimate is 16 mpg.)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I think he was talking about finding which of MANY different constant speeds was best by the amount of pressure on the pedal. He was not referring to ONE constant speed.
    the optimum gas mileage has no fixed relationship to either pedal-pressure or speed. Even speed has no fixed relationship to pedal pressure (think tail and then head winds). That is unless we are going to limit ourselves to the sort of resistance-free, known-coefficient-of-friction world used for simple physics class problem solving. It seems fruitless to me to talk about a windless day driving on flat terrain that would be the nearest thing to such conditions. How often do we experience that?

Usually there is some sort of wind (tail, cross, or head), traffic flow to some degree, and terrain variations to be negotiated. The only reasonably useful comparison is to average (as most do) over some common (for each of us) driving conditions. Within that then it might prove useful to vary your driving habits (practicing patience and restraint on the starts, for instance) -- for a period covering more than one tank of gas -- to see what effect that will have on you gas mileage. Otherwise, a mileage improvement might simply have been a fortunate wind, particularly pure tank of gas, lighter traffic, or even optimal temperature --- and not really teach you anything that will translate into any long-term difference in your results.

In other words, minimize the effect of variations to test one (or, at most, a couple) of changes in driving habits, machine adjustments, or fuel source; to see if that change has any significant effect on the results.
    Makes even less sense (to me). If we're talking about many different constant speeds....then the speed really isn't constant, is it?

Maybe he meant find the pedal position needed to drive at the set constant speed on level terrain, and then hold that same constant pedal position (minimum pressure) as one goes up and down hills, letting the vehicle speed vary with the terrain. Kinda the OPPOSITE of cruise control (throttle opening changes to maintain set speed) but more of a "gas pedal" control (vehicle speed changes while in hilly terrain to maintain set pedal position).

Actually, I'm just pulling guesses out of......thin air. Perhaps rgb2 will chime in again one of these days to clarrify just what the heck he meant.
    Maybe he meant find the pedal position needed to drive at the set constant speed on level terrain, and then hold that same constant pedal position (minimum pressure) as one goes up and down hills, letting the vehicle speed vary with the terrain. Kinda the OPPOSITE of cruise control (throttle opening changes to maintain set speed) but more of a "gas pedal" control (vehicle speed changes while in hilly terrain to maintain set pedal position).

That is a perfect description of what my driver's ed teacher (35 years ago!) said would produce the best gas mileage. And we all know that he is certainly a preeminently reliable source of such information! ;-)
    Correct to a point. The problem that I have when analyzing my mpg (and I've kept meticulous records from my trip odometer and every gas receipt over the last 3 years in a spreadsheet) is that the driving conditions that I drive under can vary fairly substantially from tank to tank (whether it is the city/highway mix, the degree of traffic congestion, ratio of short trips to long trips, etc.) so it can be difficult to spot exactly WHAT type of driving behaviour leads to the most efficiency. Also confusing the issue a bit more is the effect of the various seasonal blends put out by the refineries and the effects of temperatures (which you mentioned).

Although, truth be told, I certainly know what type of driving behaviour I can use to get really BAD mileage... :D
    "That is a perfect description of what my driver's ed teacher (35 years ago!) said..."

I was about to reply that we must've had the same driver's ed teacher, but then realized that I would have had to take D.E. when I was 7...... :)