Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    They are on a roll. I love the look of their Santa Fe SUV.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Is BMW trying to compete with Lexus or Toyota?

Apparently the answer is Toyota. Take a look at this RAV4 wannabe from Munich. I bet you BMW will imitate the RAV4 by not offering a manual version.

I guess soon we will be seeing the new BMW minivan that supposedly will be like a Sienna wannabe?

If BMW continues along this route my next car just might be a Toyota instead :mad:

I can still recall the horror I felt after test driving a X3 a few years ago. This certainly was no BMW IMO! After that test drive I ran like hell in the opposite direction and had avoided a BMW dealership for at least a few years.

link title

• reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Of course the RS 4 will hold the crown of fastest Audi until early 2007 when the amazing R8 arrives pushing 0-60 in under 4 seconds, say conservatively around 3.8 seconds (more around 3.5)
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Well you're not into SUV pigs. However, the X3 is a great vehicle for what it is. That X1 illustration looks like some kind of a witch from a Disney movie. All of the car companies are doing something to piss everyone off except Lexus who has their clients in a spell. You gotta tune it out... that's been my attitude lately. Forage for morsels of automotive nutrition, then savor them when you find 'em.

;-)
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "Watch what happens when CU/CR starts picking Hyundai over Toyota in their future sedan tests over the next several years. I believe this is inevitable."

Inevitable? No, it's more like IMMINENT! JD POwer already says Hyundai is up to Toyota initial quality standards now. If they wear as well as Toyota, Japan should be very worried.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Did you spend any time working the features of the cars? Is the COMAND better than Lexus' console set-up?

No, you don't have that much time on the test drives. The only other LS460 that they had at the event was inside, but the power was off. I did notice that the LS has a "hold" button on the steering wheel. This is a hill-holder feature in which you know, the car stays put until you press the gas again.

Check the rear seat comfort of the 2 cars?

Only the LS, didn't have a chance to sit in the back of the S550, but I've sat in it before. I'd say they're pretty much a draw in that area, though the Benz's seats are more supportive IMO.

You're difinitive statement on the LS' torque curve/tranny, please.

The only difference here is that the S550 provides more a shove in the back when you floor it compared to the LS460. That said the LS460 has all the acceleration and smoothness (no gear hunting) that anyone will need in such a car.

Which car is quieter?

Again to my ear they're the same, you'll need a decibel meter to determine the difference, if there is any.

Were there any features/idiosyncracies that made you pause when entering/starting the cars?

No, and the cars are already running.

The LS had the standard suspension, yes?

Well I only drove the LS460L which I was told had the sportier setup, but that may not have been correct. One rep said it had the air suspension and another said it was the sport suspension, so that one I can't answer definitively.

As per my invitation, I am expecting to see an S550, 3-series, 5-series, and 750 when I roll next month. That will make or break the event for me, as that is what I was told to expect, and it will indicate the level of confidence I expect from Lexus.

Well all I can tell you that is in Chicago on Sept 24th there were no GS and IS competitors there.

M
    I need to decide whether to bring the whole family, or just go myself. Last time I went to a Lexus event, they had arcade games and other kid stuff....did you notice anything like that at Chicago?

I didn't, but I think all that type of stuff (spas etc.) is a grand annoyance, I'm there for the cars! I didn't notice so I'd call them and ask.

M
    But the differences between the V8 M3 and the 335i will not be even close to the significant differences between the e30 M3s and 325is of the 1980s or even the differences between the more current e46 models.

Not like me to disagree with you Dewey, but you really won't know this until the specs for the next M3 are made known. I think BMW knows that the next M3 has to be smashingly brilliant to warrant the expense over a mere 335i.

M
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I think the R8 coupe is unveiled on Wednesday, but this Photoshop image of the R8 as a Cabrio is spectacular, IMO.

My heart does indeed pump a notch faster when I look at it. That tells me plenty.

TagMan
    These cars are so sophisticated and complicated these days that I have to agree, a 5-10 minute test drive doesn't amount to much.

I could see myself spending an hour alone on getting the driver's seat right for me, let alone how long it would take to figure out how half of the gizmos work in the LS460.
    Guess that's why they call it a "Taste."
    Don't care much for that color either.
  • tibtuscanitibtuscani Member Posts: 46
    RWD Sedan
    These cars are so sophisticated and complicated these days that I have to agree, a 5-10 minute test drive doesn't amount to much.

I could see myself spending an hour alone on getting the driver's seat right for me, let alone how long it would take to figure out how half of the gizmos work in the LS460.
    Guess that's why they call it a "Taste."

Good point!

M
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    If CR has Hyundai beating Toyota and Honda in some future sedan comparos, this will be the needed catalyst and it will be up, up and away, Hyundai. This will be no small feat but it is possible.

Possible yes, but very unlikely, at least in the next 10 years. Honda has renewed focus in its cars, and I think the new Accord is going to set the bar migh higher than Hyundai is able to reach.
    A little off-topic, but I think Honda and Toyota are just brilliant for each other.

The new Civic supposedly send Toyota back to drawing board regarding their new Corolla and I'm bet Honda was equally stunned to see how well the new Camry turned out. When you have that type of rivalry going on the others have something serious to worry about. If only Ford and GM would aim to build the "best" car in a segment and not merely a competitive one!

M
    BTW: I would actually take the Sante Fe over a new Honda product, the new RDX. Have you seen this thing? It looks like a scaled-down version of a Chrysler Pacifica. Very froppy looking to say the least, especially in the rear hatch/D-pillar area.

I think the RDX looks ok, not great. It's certainly less akward looking than its new CR-V cousin. The problems I have with the RDX are with the interior. Not that different from the CR-V, with a center stack even worse than the RL's. It seems like at the last minute the interior designers thought "Oh no, we forgot about the audio controls! Uh.. shove em underneath a shelf at the bottom of the stack. It's not they'll actually be used, right?"

Also, manual passenger seat controls in a $38K car? Whose briliant idea was that? Acura said they decided against a V6 for fuel economy. Meanwhile, the turbo 4's fuel economy is awful. Something is wrong there. A cute-ute like the RDX shouldn't be getting 15mpg.
    They are on a roll. I love the look of their Santa Fe SUV.

I liked it better the first time I saw it, when it was called the Infiniti FX.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Sorry Tag, I usually agree with you but that is one of the ugliest contraptions I have ever seen. It looks like it was made up of parts from several different autos, from cadillac to viper to corvair.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    nvbanker wrote: "Inevitable? No, it's more like IMMINENT! JD POwer already says Hyundai is up to Toyota initial quality standards now. If they wear as well as Toyota, Japan should be very worried."

One could look at this post and perceive it as an oxymoron to the title of this forum and then laugh! Hyundai and High End Luxury Marques mentioned in the same breath?? - it certainly would seem to be an oxymoron, and out of the realm of possibility, for most car buyers.

Since I've been began driving in 1964, I've owned primarily high-end European marques, with some high-end Japanese vehicles purchased within the past decade. I recently purchased a Hyundai (shock) for my wife. And, believe it or not, it was absolutely perfect "out of the box" and still is. Plus, the dealer treats me similar to the Mercedes dealers of old - with respect and extremely customer oriented. Additionally, I've received at least three calls from Hyundai corporate ensuring our satisfaction. The long-term experience will be the real test of course, but so far the experience has been equal to or better than any other vehicle I've ever owned. Color me as one pleasantly surprised customer!
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    How much the interior of that new Hyundai (like the Altima-esque greenhouse! :) ) apes the 7-series/S-Class design?

DrFill
    Sorry Tag, I usually agree with you but that is one of the ugliest contraptions I have ever seen. It looks like it was made up of parts from several different autos, from cadillac to viper to corvair.

The only visual issue I saw was the white roll bar that extended its color all the way down the side. It seems to break the lines up into seperate pieces. Perhaps that's why you are seeing so many different things going on . . . who knows.

Overall, though, I really think the R8 as pictured is very interesting.

BTW, I am under the impression that the real R8 coupe is supposed to be unveiled later today.

TagMan
    A little off-topic, but I think Honda and Toyota are just brilliant for each other.

The new Civic supposedly send Toyota back to drawing board regarding their new Corolla and I'm bet Honda was equally stunned to see how well the new Camry turned out. When you have that type of rivalry going on the others have something serious to worry about. If only Ford and GM would aim to build the "best" car in a segment and not merely a competitive one!

Remind you of something?

Like Lexus LS vs. Mercedes S-Class!

"Brilliant for each other".

TagMan
    I posted this on the LS forum, but it applies here as well.

link title

As I mentioned there, this reviewer sees the greater merit of the long wheelbase version.

TagMan
    I sure did. It's a cheaper imitation, but the overall design looks just like the S-class to me.....
    Kinda sorta, but one follows the other most of the time in that case, but the competition is healthy for the customer no doubt.

M
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    LG, I agree with you once again. It seems that Acura did not account for most turbo engines being gas-hungry. 15mpg, yet Honda's own 3.0L V-6 Accord gets 31mpg highway, 21 city on "REGULAR" gas v. the super stuff, and it's a "heavier" ride.

On the HELM front, I hear that Infiniti is set to produce a new Q-Ship on a next-gen M platform, slated for US intro in late '07 as an early '08 model.

I think the car will try to get back to it's "sporting" nature it once had with it's first iteration. Nissan/Infiniti has developed a new 4.5L V8 engine, with electronic VVT on both the intake and exhaust(one upping MB and Lexus on the exhaust) and will have a direct and port fuel system like Lexus.

I think that it's great Infiniti has chosen not to abandon the car. One question is still apparent: Is it too late? With a projected starting price of $63k, will the buyers be willing to come back to Infiniti to look at the long forgotten car? And that price is definetely in Jag XJ8 and LS460 territory.

But from what I saw with the styling, if you like the M and the new G35, you'll love this ride as it looks just like a bigger clone of these fine rides.
    is in the Nova Scotia and will port in NY on Friday. I think I may busy for a while next week........ :P
    enjoy

Getting much sleep at night these days? Christmas will be here soon!! I have always thought Audi made the best looking cars, exterior and interior. If they were as reliable (and did not have the big mouth grill) as the Japan autos, I would be on one in a heartbeat.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I don't see the resemblance at all. Maybe a little bit of the Murano.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Check out the video. This new Audi is very cool.

link title

BTW, the band on the side is called the "sideblade", and it comes in different contrasting shades, depending upon the exterior color choice, one sideblade color being called "carbon sigma".

The rear end design of a vehicle is always a challenge that not many get just right, IMO, but Audi has produced a rear design on the R8 that deserves serious recognition.

TagMan
    "On the HELM front, I hear that Infiniti is set to produce a new Q-Ship on a next-gen M platform, slated for US intro in late '07 as an early '08 model."

Glad they are not abandoning the Q - but I hope it stays larger than the M. Some of us like a large car, some of us even need one, and the M is 5 Series and E-class sized.

"Nissan/Infiniti has developed a new 4.5L V8 engine, with electronic VVT on both the intake and exhaust(one upping MB and Lexus on the exhaust) and will have a direct and port fuel system like Lexus."

Are you sure? I read the 4.6L Lexus motor will have the VVT on intake and exhaust as well.....
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Love that big mouth...good design move IMO
    "Are you sure? I read the 4.6L Lexus motor will have the VVT on the intake and exhaust as well..."

Yes it is true, most cars that are so equipped with VVT have it on both sides, however, in the case of the Lexus and Benz, the VVT is electronic on the intake only, while the exhaust remains hydraulic-actuated, thus giving up about 5hp in the process and about 1mpg.

They tried to counter with the intake being electronic, but it didn't help much as it takes more energy to get rid of exhaust than it does to get are in.
    Don't want to start another Lexus v. the rest hellfire in here, but my W12 was more reliable than my previous LS400's. It has not required ANY unscheduled stops to the dealer, save for the sudden mishap of my DRL's going out because the fuse was ill mounted. Between the two LS', they went 9 times, 3 times severe involving the engine sludge and tranny probs...
    I can definetely add the car to my list of cars to buy next year when I stop driving the Vette Z06(it's going in the vault with it's 6 other siblings.)

I'm seriously looking at the XJR, 911 4S/or Turbo, or SL63(whenever it comes out).

Now that the R8 is here, I can definetely add it to the list given that it's spun directly off of the Lambo Gallardo. And you definetely can't go wrong with that. And with the commenserate test drive for all(I've driven the 911 and SL, but the 9114S/Turbo's are different animals, and the last SL was an '05, but MB has massively updated it since then), all I can say is I've got my work cut out for me
    "Don't want to start another Lexus v. the rest hellfire in here, but my W12 was more reliable than my previous LS400's. It has not required ANY unscheduled stops to the dealer, save for the sudden mishap of my DRL's going out because the fuse was ill mounted. Between the two LS', they went 9 times, 3 times severe involving the engine sludge and tranny probs..."

With all due respect owed you, you have just lost all credibility with me... ;)
    "With all due respect owed you, you have just lost all credibility with me.."

Wow! That's all it took to do so? Well, it is what it is, and I call it like I see.

BTW: This just approves my point that no matter what one says about Lexus, it's all grits and bacon to a few people. Well, it's just not the case as judging from the Lexus boards, I'm not the only one to have to be given the royal treatment at the dealership "many times".
    So far that seems to be the case as CR rated the 2006 Accord EX V6 the highest rated family sedan in its August comparo-ahead of Toyota and Hyundai vehicles.
    They gave it a very high "89."
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Between the two LS', they went 9 times, 3 times severe involving the engine sludge and tranny probs

This is the first I have ever heard of the sludge issue affecting an LS. I thought it was an issue with the old 3.0 liter V6.
    Ouch!
  • tibtuscanitibtuscani Member Posts: 46
    How about this new Hyundai

Talk about conspicuous consumption!

Along similar lines, being held hostage on a Jet Blue flight early this morning, I switched the telly to CNBC and they were highlighting the Bugatti Veyron, which can get you to 60mph in an astonishing 2.5 seconds.
    Yours for only $1.375 million, MSRP.
    Don't fret. I'm sure Cars Direct can put you in this vehicle for around $1.374 million. :)

Perhaps when Dewey gets tired of his 335i sedan. ;)
    We are increasingly being offered strange computer-twisted designs . . . or just plain vanilla.

TagMan
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    re new Q: if so, Infiniti better market the hell out of it starting right now. Most people have never even heard of the Q and the original ads focused on trees and streams rather than the car. I would LOVE to see Infiniti in this market space, but they better really have their act together before they try......
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Gorgeous!

But it will be just another pretty face if its drivetrain and chassis cannot match its good looks.
    Why do I keep thinking of Bruce Wayne and the batmobile when I look at this photo?
    lol. :D That cabrio pic I posted is a digital artist's rendering. It's definately got a lot going on. As I recall, houdini saw a minimum of three different cars all rolled into one! And now you've got Bruce Wayne driving it. You've got to admit, it sure stirs the imagination.

But seriously, for a reality check, read my post 19301. Click the link and watch. Then you will see the REAL R8.

TagMan
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    But it's not nearly as cool! ;)

Wish I had a picture of it. The concept is about 5 years old now. Was on the cover of Autoweek.

DrFill
    Some artist. The driver looks like an "Aryan" from the 1940's.
    Heh! Heh!