Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    Although, truth be told, I certainly know what type of driving behaviour I can use to get really BAD mileage...

For me that is called "the way I usually drive!" ;-)
    I was about to reply that we must've had the same driver's ed teacher, but then realized that I would have had to take D.E. when I was 7

He was a young man when I had him (also coaching). I'm guessing he would still have been teaching a decade or so later. So, if your high school was in Creston, IA, or those parts, it just might be the same guy!
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Nope, no where close to Creston. But I think it's a universal rule that the D.E. instructors are also coaches....
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Basically same as following BSTs up and down hills to get best gas. They slow down up the hill and go faster down the hill, similar to what would happen if constant gas pedal position is set for level terrain.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    Well finally after my first 2,000 miles on my van, I cracked the 20mpg mark. In about the same 20/80 city/highway driving, I got 21.45 mpg.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Vehicle now has just over 6,000 miles (new in December). The last four tanks, a mixture of highway / secondary roads were 24.5; 23.2; 22.5; 24.3.

We're making no real effort to get good mileage - as a company car, they're usually in a hurry. This van continues to impress everyone. I want to take a long highway trip and take it easy and see how how we can go.

I'm not surprised by a one-time tank of 30 mpg. Years ago when we drove from Baltimore to CO and back, the mpg on the trip back was almost 2 mpg higher than going out.

A friend of mine driving an old Ford LTD station wagon got 22 mpg on one tank across Kansas, West-East, with a 20-30 mph tailwind. 14-16 was typical.
    I drive about the same 20/80 city/highway every week so things don't change much. Here is what I have done from the very first tank till now. I have about 2,200 miles on the van. Was begining to wonder if I would ever get over 20mpg unless I had all highway miles.

1.tank, 16.10
    2.tank, 18.77
    3.tank 19.66
    4.tank 18.75
    5.tank 17.52
    6.tank 19.98
    7.tank 21.24
  • vonbill3vonbill3 Member Posts: 20
    I suggest that drivers go to fueleconomy.gov to find out how the EPA gets the fuel mileage data for new cars. All data are obtained from laboratory dyno runs by the car's manufacturer (??). The highway runs are for 12.5 minutes starting with a warm engine at an average speed of 48 mph and a brief maximum speed of 60 mph. Currently, the dyno measurements are reduced by 22% to bring the reported figures closer to real world experience.

Take at look at the graph on one page which shows that the drop in fuel mileage at speeds over 55 mph is roughly linear accounting for the 55 mph speed limits we had for many years. For example, driving at 75 mph will reduce mileage by about 73% (55/75).

In the real world driving conditions are far from neutral unlike the lab/dyno runs. Wind, road curves, hills, and road crown can all alter mileage. In most cases mileage will be reduced. Any time your steering wheel is not exactly centered (e.g. curve in road, crown, side winds) mileage suffers because any steering correction requires energy. Of course, head winds are deadly--may we always have tail winds.

Taking into account varying driver habits, driving conditions, average speeds, city/highway ratio, and other variables, it's no wonder we see a large variability in reported fuel mileage on this site.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    That engine is not as fuel efficient as the 3.3. But it looks like you are trending upward which is good. Are you in an area where the temperature is warming up? You may see better mileage through the spring and into summer.
  • rgb2rgb2 Member Posts: 31
    Thank everyone for chiming in. I just wanted to liven the forum a bit. All of you had valid points, and of course my idea is a bit on the silly side. However, on a level surface, no wind, etc. , using this method one could get an approximate speed range where the tradeoff between speed and fuel economy is optimal. I think I made the statement generic enough for people to agree :)

Hope everyone gets the EPA numbers...
    Geewhiz, I don't know if I can agree that your statement is generic enough. I mean we'd have to take into account the genericity constant in a vacuum on a level forum... ;-)

Oppose opposition!
    Unite against conformity!
    Stand together for individualism!

(Sorry, it's Friday and I'm in a good mood!) :D
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Depends on what your time is worth.
    65 MPH seems to be the optimum speed for my 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L (as determined using instant economy feature of trip computer). Mileage does not drop very fast until about 75 MPH...nor is it much lower at 55 MPH than 65 MPH.
    If your time has value, drive as fast as you can considering road conditions and the possibility of being ticketed for driving too fast. :blush:
    And while you are calculating remember that at 75 mph you'll go 65 miles in 52 minutes saving only 8 minutes over going 65 mph. At 55 mph that 65 miles will take 71 minutes or only 11 minutes longer than at 65 mph.

In other words, if the distances are short it makes almost no reasonable difference. It takes a lot of distance to add up to a significant time savings.

Of course, this does not consider the irritation factor of not getting there ahead of that guy! ;-)

Ooooo, I also forgot that there is not only the cost of the ticket together with the truly significant time delay during the writing of that ticket, but here in the DFW area, simply being pulled over to the side of the road astronomically increases the odds that you will be involved in a serious accident (getting hit while on the side of the road is almost a given here). :-(
  • lilabnerlilabner Member Posts: 9
    On a trip from San Diego top Los Angeles, I babied my 2004 Sienna LE 8-seater, putting it on cruise control at 63 mph and staying in the right lane all the way. Computer said 27.3 MPG, and (actual miles)/(gallons filled up at end) agreed!

Course, I usually don't drive that way, usually get 17-20 mpg.
    I took the time to calculate the average mileage from new to now - just over 6,100 miles. This includs the breakin tanks and a fair amount of winter driving including a few long trips in snowstorms at 40mph. The mileage seems to be getting better now that Spring has sprung.

The composite average was 22.3 mpg.
  • angelawangelaw Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me which minivan gets the best gas mileage. In these days of trying to save on gas, I am either looking to buy a dependable roomy wagon or a the same with a minivan - but am looking to save on gas as well. I'm probably looking at a 2004 at this point.

Thanks. :)
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    EPA Dodge Caravan 4cyl 20/26 mpg(city/ highway)
    6cyl 3.3 engine 19/26
    6cyl 3.8 engine 18/25
    Ford Freestars 17/23 and 16/23 for the 4.2 engine

Honda Odyssey 18/25 mpg

Kia Sedona 16/22 mpg

Mazda MPV 18/25 mpg

Toyota Sienna 19/27 mpg
    As you can see not much difference...except the Sedona is a bit low compared to the others. This is for 2004 models. The 2005 Ody is "suppose" to get 20/28 city hwy...but most Ody owners are getting much less.The Mazda MPV is a smaller minivan so logically it should get higher mpg than the others.If your looking to save on gas...you'll probably have to go midsize sedan or a smaller wagon as the crossover wagons and minivans get about the same mpg.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    If you go back and check my posts for the Nissan Quest, it appears we're getting much better real-world mileage than many other minivan owners. For 6,000 miles including winter and break-in, we've averaged 22.3. We also have a 99 Dodge Caravan Sport and it does not do as well, despite being smaller. Mazda MPV owners don't seem to get any better mileage than other minivans, although it would seem logical they would.

Unless you drive a lot, the differences aren't going to amount to a lot of money. The only diesel available is the Dodge Sprinter, not exactly a family hauler although it could be.

By contrast, a lot of large sedans get in the high 20's.

Hopefully some manufacturer will come to their senses and start building large station wagons again.
    Oops...left out the Nissan Quest. EPA has the Quest at 19/26 with the 4 speed and 18/25 mpg... city/hwy on the 5 speed.As always mileage may vary. :cry:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    The differences are marginal and (IMO at least) more likely, with the possible exception of the Sedona, to be the product of driver, driving conditions, and an individual van. If you experience true city driving (i.e., regular stop and go in a metropolitan area, the occasional traffic jam), you'll be doing quite well to get within 80-85% of the EPA estimate with any van.
    On the 2005 Quest we just had a tank in primarily city driving and short trips, with one highway run.

Mileage dropped to 19.47 from the 22-24 range we've been getting otherwise.
    Don't even consider the Dodge 4cyl. Not enough power, especially in the mountains and the required service on them is higher than the 6cyl.
    BUT only when driven on the highway within the speed limit.
    Idling at stop lights, stop and go, and winter driving kills gas mileage. :sick:
  • mtbiker1mtbiker1 Member Posts: 17
    At just over 8K miles, we finally broke the 24 mpg barrier. About 1/2 interstate (Corvallis OR to Seattle WA), half mixed city-highway. Fuel used was 1/2 tank Chevron, 1/2 Costco. Around town (the mixed city-highway mode) we've been getting 20-22 with Shell, Costco and Safeway gas during both winter and spring (I think they change the formula during the winter to support Iowa corn growers...). On the interstate and hiways we generally drive 5 mph over the limit on cruise control.

Call for opinions or knowlege: When we replace the OEM tires would we gain any noticable fuel efficiency by going from 215-60-16s to 205-60-16s? Or 195-65s? Or??
    If you're looking for every mpg you can get, the Michelin Energy tires seem to deliver better mpg, but are kind of expensive.

What kind of tire pressures are you running? Keeping those donuts firm will probably do more for you.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    last 2 tanks (around town/very short hop driving) were about 17. About what I expected/hoped for. Our '99 Quest did about 15, maybe 16 in the same driving. Just over 3K on the clock. Maybe 18 is possible? Just have to keep my wife away from the AC button.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• aaronwiaaronwi Member Posts: 18
    My 02 Dakota with the 4.7 has had a maximum of 14mpg on 100% hwy at 65mph.

My average is 11hwy.

Dealer says this is normal.

I run sythentics for all fluids at the lowest viscosity recommended.

Has anyone found better results????
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    "My average is 11hwy."

Ouch!

A friend had a Durango that did about the same, but our highway speed limit is 75. That does seem a little bit low.
    I had a 2001 Dakota with a six in it and averaged around 15 1/2-17 1/2 city/hiway.
    Even all highway, I only got 19.90mpg. Never could get 20mpg. I have gotten over 21mpg on my last tank on my 2005 DGC, and that wasn't all highway driving.
    Latest trip with 05 Quest SL - 1-4 people and some equipment, 90% highway at 65-75mph, A/C on most of the way, 390 miles @ 25.5 mpg.
    The 2004 MPV just turned over 5,000 miles. Got 23.2 mpg ...about 75% highway.A/C on going about 65 mph avg. So, all hwy I'm thinking about 26mpg.I'm happy with that.Zoom ah Zoom. :P
  • ken23ken23 Member Posts: 3
    Very dissapointed with my 2005 Quest gas mileage, only 14-15 MPG city driving.I have a 2004 Maxima and I get 19-21 city. I traded in a Ford conversion because it got bad gas mileage and now I still have the same problem.
    Don't panic. Winter driving kills gas mileage and your Quest is much heavier than your Maxima.

Did you have the same number of people and same amount of cargo in each?

Take a long highway trip and keep speed about 65 MPH and you will get 25 to 28 MPG with a 2005 Quest. :)
    Had a little free time this afternoon. So for fun I pulled out the window sticker from our 2004 Mazda MPV.I really hadn't noticed this before or read about it here, so this may be of interest. EPA on the MPV is 18 mpg city and 25 highway. Then the disclaimer. "Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions. driving habits and vehicles condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 15 and 21 in the city, and between 21 and 29 mpg on the highway."
    So, I have to ask myself....results reported to EPA from who? Other testing organizations, fleet managers, the average Joe calling in on their cellphone.
    And basically they seem to be protecting themselves even if this vehicle averaged 6mpg city and 8 hwy. So, doesn't seem to be much recourse for Ody owners or anyone else with low mpg compared to what EPA indicates.
  • mapper1mapper1 Member Posts: 11
    I now have 2000 miles on my '05 Chrysler T&C, and the gas mileage remains steady at 19.0 mpg in mostly city driving. It's no different now than on my very first fillup. This is mostly with just me in the van and in warmer Florida. To get the best mileage, I always never exceed the speed limit, and I look way ahead to the stop lights and always take my foot off the gas if I know the light's going to stay red. The goal is to use the brakes as little as possible. I haven't tested it on a trip yet.
    mapper1, I have a 2005 DGC with about the same mileage on it. I drive about the same as you do and live in a warm climate of Arizona. I haven't got the steady mileage as you have. I posted what I got some time back. But the best I have got so far in about 80% hiway, 20% city, is a little over 21mpg. Most of the time, it's between 17-19 mpg using a hand computer, not the one in the van. I really am waiting to get a tankfull on the open road and see what I can do.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I now have 3500 miles on here and getting 22 mpg according to overhead display. Driving is 50/50 mix. Happy so far.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    99 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with 3.8 l engine, about 75k on the odometer.

Over the last long trip (over 2000 miles), cruising at about 80 mph, consumption about 24 mpg. One leg with 90-100 mph cruising, average about 20.5 mpg.

Regular gas, four people, AC on all the time, about 150 lbs of luggage.

I was thinking of new O2 sensors, but with this kind of economy on a six year old vehicle, I figured why bother.
    Very dissapointed with my 2005 Quest gas mileage, only 14-15 MPG city driving.I have a 2004 Maxima and I get 19-21 city. I traded in a Ford conversion because it got bad gas mileage and now I still have the same problem.

Perhaps take it to the dealer? The worst single tank we've had since breakin is about 18.5. And that was mostly city driving in Boston. So if you're averaging 20% less than our worst, there's got to be something wrong with your vehicle.

What model Quest? Driving pattern?
    How many miles do you have on the Quest? My mileage improved after several thousand miles.
    I have an SE and my wife does most of the driving here in Fla. After my wife told me about the poor mileage I decided to drive it for a week to see if the mileage would change and it turned out to be the same MPG.I know the dealers answer would be that their is nothing they can do about it .I guess maybe I just got stuck with another gas hog.
    What were you getting in the beginning and what are you getting now for gas mileage. I have 1200 miles on mine and the mileage is staying the same.
    I wouldn't get too upset. Your engine is still pretty new. If you are concerned, get a notebook and keep track of mileage for each gas tank. Very easy to do and you can see how your minivan responds to weather change, traffic, speed, etc.

Like I said it took to around 8,000 miles for me to see an improvement in gas mileage.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    We get an average of 19.8 on our 2004 Quest SE (according to the trip computer). That is entirely around town driving. We have 12,000 on the van now.

Heading to WDW in FL this summer, so, can't wait to see what MPG for all interstate driving is going to be. But, coming from a 1999 Chevrolet Astro, which got 20 MPG on the interstate, we are completely satisfied! Better MPG and an extra 50 HP over the Chevy. :)
  • cindy4cindy4 Member Posts: 19
    We purchased a 05 EX-L Odyssey two weeks so we have only filled the gas tank only once. The Odyssey was topped off at the dealer when we took delivery of the vehicle so last week, I filled it up for the first time. It took 17.3 gallons after driving 385 miles of about 75% mixed (highway and city) and 25% highway at 65 MPH which equals 22.3 MPG. So far, I’m pleased with this result and look forward to a longer trip to check the highway MPG.

With a new Odyssey, my driving so far has been very gentle but since I’m easy on the gas anywhere, I don’t believe future MPG results will change much. I will post in another couple of fillips when I have more information.
  • lxbuyerlxbuyer Member Posts: 5
    got 24 and 27 mpg on recent highway trip--55-65 mph w/no A/C on. Seems good for such a heavy vehicle.
  • dansgirldansgirl Member Posts: 14
    I've gotten 20.0 mpg and 21.7 mpg on my first two full tanks (800 total miles on the vehicle). Almost all of my driving has been non-highway driving. I am pleased so far, but will put it to the test on our trip to Charlotte at the end of the month, which will be mostly highway miles.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Member Posts: 158
    C'mon guys,
    where in the Hell is that HIGHWAY where you find cars ( and DRIVERS!!) running with ONLY 65mph ( even on 1-st lane)???
    Don't base your argumentation on this topic with "out of the realm" figures!!!
    Dan
    If you drive in the outside lane, you can drive at 65 MPH almost anytime on I-25 in Wyoming; I-80 in Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada; I-70 in Kansas, Colorado or Utah; and I-15 in Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and California...as long as you are not in or near an urban area. ;)
  • lxbuyerlxbuyer Member Posts: 5
    Crowded and rough Northeast highways often require these speeds. And I do not think a minivan is a good vehicle for higher-than-posted speeds. Finally, the only highway I frequently use which has even a 65 MPH speed limit is the NJ turnpike. I have heard they use the time elapsed between turnpike entry and exit to measure speed and cite if the speed estimated is excessive.