Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    I see. Then your earlier statement of "owning for 13 years" without any problem was just wee bit misleading . . . if one is willing to swap cars every 2-3 years, chances are that even Kia's would do just fine, especially if you are willing to tolerate the tarnishing of interior finish.

BTW, with the heavily subsidized lease deals on BMW's nowadays, it is becoming increasing tempting to hop on the bandwagon for financial reason alone. Good to know that they are not likely to break down in the first 2-3 years :-)
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    If you'd re-read your own post, you'd note that you said AUDI'S IN GENERAL, not indicating one model.

If that's all you got out of my post, then I'm giving you way too much credit.

Uncheckmate: Slide an LS next to an A8. Besides the preconceived supposed reliablility and Wal-Mart Roll-back pricing strategy and sales(that's a given, thanks to the warehouse pricing), what category exactly is it superior in? And that can go for any of it's peers. Oh and don't get cute, even you haven't drove the LS460 yet, at least for long.

Since you brought it up, again, besides Japan and the NA, where else is the LS sold? Try 6 continents and 47 countries for the A8 just to give you a hint?
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    No. It wasn't misleading at all.
    I don't know how many times I have posted here that I have leased 3 BMW vehicles. Many, many times. Off the top of my head I believe the latest time was post #19896.
    Don't ask me how I know. I am a BMW savant. :P
    When you bragged about not having any problem after 13 years of ownership, I thought you _owned_ another BMW all along the time span of leasing three consecutively. Not having any major problem in the first three years is not something worth bragging about; most modern cars are built like that. I never had any major problem with any new car in the first three years.
    No bragging. Only facts. 3 years isn't 10 minutes is it?
    A lot can go wrong in 3 years with a vehicle. 3 BMW's. 3 leases. No trouble.
    Some of you folks seem to think BMW's have meltdowns as soon as they leave the dealer.

I also mentioned that I would never own a BMW for the long-term, meaning out of warranty (5 years).
    If you go back and read post #19896 and if I recall, post #19898 as well. It's all in there.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    The LS is for the U.S. only. It's called exclusivity!!

Limited regional success is now exclusivity? You are really reaching! Gotta give ya credit for that. But be realistic . . .

Lexus would LOVE to do better in Europe and elsewhere, and you know it. And you know they will be trying much harder to achieve some headway there. They simply haven't had the right ingredients so far. A lack of a diesel is just a part of Lexus' deficiency, and I've read many a post always blaming the lack of a diesel. That's a no-brainer. It's deeper than that.

But, yes you are right that Lexus does very well in the good 'ol USA. But keep in mind that the rest of the world clearly makes a different choice.

It makes good sense to consider the entire global picture, IMO. Otherwise we'd be hearing scientists telling us about USA-warming instead of global-warming. Sometimes it is good to see the whole picture . . . it doesn't get bigger than that.

TagMan
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Finally, a rational post. How do you think diesels and helms will mix in the U.S.? I have heard some say that they are mutually exclusive. I do not agree, what with the clean diesel and new diesel technology. I can't wait to get my hands on one of some kind.

I am hereby resolving to clean my act up and cut back on some of my "spiteful" posts. I sure don't want to see this forum end up as "read only".

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

with the clean diesel and new diesel technology. I can't wait to get my hands on one of some kind.

I think you have a lot of company. Me included.

Statistics already indicate a higher growth rate for diesels than hybrids . . . and the really good products haven't even showed up yet. The best is yet to come . . . and fortunately will be coming soon.

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Statistics already indicate a higher growth rate for diesels than hybrids . . . and the really good products haven't even showed up yet. The best is yet to come . . . and fortunately will be coming soon.

The NYT tested the E320 CDI, and raved about it. It actually beat its EPA estimates in real world conditions. A hybrid has never, never, never beaten its EPA estimates. The inconvenient truth for hybrid owners is that the 30 year old EPA testing methods give hybrids an artificial boost that will never be achievable for anyone that uses more than a big toe on the gas pedal. Diesels are obviously not the final solution to end dependence on fossil fuels, but they are a much better interim solution than 400lbs. of batteries.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well, Mercedes have never been comparison winners, save for the SL. I don't think Mercedes cares a great deal.

Not true, it varies a great deal Doc. The E320 won a comparo when it was first released and various AMG cars have one comparos too. The CLK55 beat the 645Ci and Maser Coupe at C&D and the GL450 just polished off a bunch of new rivals. The S600 has never been beaten by anything, not the Rolls Phantom, BMW 760Li or anything else. So you see Doc your statement about MBs "never" being comparo winners isn't true at all. Not even close to being true. You've got to look at their whole range of car, not just the previous S430, E430, and C-Class losses.

Secondly this was not about whether or not "Mercedes" cared about the comparos this was about your use of comparos to prop up Lexus being "better" and choosing to forget about them the next when we talk about any other Lexus other than the LS430.

The same is probably true for Lexus. You don't want to be a bottom-feeder, in either case. But what would you rather be good at? I'm sure they don't build cars to please journalists.

This is an excuse, a cop out doc. The LS430 isn't built for enthusiasts or journalists, C&D even admitted as much and yet it has still wins more often than not. The SC430 on the other hand is bottom feeder as far as comparos go.

The M35/45 has put a nice string together, and can't outsell the beleaugered GS!

Careful here doc because when/if it does (it has during certain months) that will make it vastly superior to the GS by your logic because the M already has the comparos on its side while the GS has gone back to lagging the pack again.

You're falling on your own sword here Doc.

M
    Great post!

No the last words on the above paragraph are not there in error. In the past Audi has never tried to out-Bling their more ostentatious and conventional competitors like BMW, MB and Lexus. In fact Audi's understated image is one reason why I think Audis are far more successful overseas. People living beyond our shores are less concerned about image than us North Americans. (MB sold luxury for decades in Europe while every street there is covered with MB taxis). Just imagine what would happen to MB and Lexus sales if every other taxi is a Benz or Lexus in North America?

Bingo!

M
    Ok Dewey you got off another good one. Lets just face it, no other luxury brand provides the spread of product that Mercedes and BMW does. Arguably Mercedes offers too much for their own good as they seem to have every imaginable niche plugged with something. BMW is right behind them, but they still lack a true CL, SL, GL competitors. Mercedes on the other hand will build a X3 competitor in 2008 and so it goes on and on between the two of them.

Audi and Lexus are getting closer to being full lineup providers or plan to, but Acura and Infiniti won't be there for years and years, if they're even planning to do so.

M
    I'm hoping that the new LS 460 seats are a lot better than the ones I tried in my two 2005 LS 430 test drives.

IMO they are. The old LS430's seats were like sitting on a padded park bench, good leather but absolutely no support.

M
    Limited regional success is now exclusivity? You are really reaching! Gotta give ya credit for that. But be realistic . . .

Don't you just love it when slow sales are called "exclusivity""?

M
    Don't you just love it when slow sales are called "exclusivity""?

That makes the Q45 one of the most exclusive luxury cars in the world. Somebody call Infiniti!
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Audi's sell poor here? And the line is forming for 2 years for these demented, unreliable, unusable, failures of cars? That's interesting that you say that as the A4 is still outselling the IS, the car that was supposed to be the dominator in this class. Cheap prices can't get you out of this one.

And now for the facts (through Sep. 2006):

G35 Sedan US sales in 2006: 26,802

Audi A/S4 US sales in 2006: 28,167

Lexus IS US sales in 2006: 41,666

BMW 325i/325xi/330i US Sales in 2006: 60,724

So the IS sedan not only outsells the cheaper A4, easily, it also outsells vaunted G35 sedan!

Now back to your regularly scheduled postings, soon to be corrected, in the Passionate Pursuit of Perfection. :)

Source: Autochannel

DrFill
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    You're falling on your own sword here Doc.

Not really. The GL is excellent! :) I forgot about that one, but I wasn't counting AMG cars, as that's a very small class to beat for comparison. What are they, in a class of two?

The 3.5 in the GS will boost sales enough to stay ahead of the M, even though it's dynamics are more pleasant than fierce.

Not sure where I "copped out", but you seem to have made my point for me. The LS430 is the most unlikely of enthusiast's magazine champions, but it's inherent excellence wins out in the end. :)

You seem to be under the impression that I said somewhere that every Lexus is better than every Mercedes, which is an error on your part. Unless you have evidence to the contrary? :confuse:

DrFill
    I forgot about that one, but I wasn't counting AMG cars, as that's a very small class to beat for comparison. What are they, in a class of two?

Nope, there are Maseratis, Aston-Martins, Motorsport BMWs, S/RS Audis and R Jaguars to contend with. Now if you're going to say that some comparos count and others don't then.... AMGs are Mercedes too.

Not sure where I "copped out", but you seem to have made my point for me. The LS430 is the most unlikely of enthusiast's magazine champions, but it's inherent excellence wins out in the end.

No your point hasn't been made, nor did you really have one. You gave an excuse about certain Lexuses not being made for journalists or enthusiast and that being why certain Lexus models never win comparos, like the SC430. I said that this notion is disproven a thousand times over if Lexus' dullest, most boring car (the LS430) can win comparos in the eyes of these very same journalist. The fact that Lexus' dullest car wins while their more exciting ones don't shoots down any point you could have even tried to make about comparos.

Like I said before you go back and forth from comparos to sales to make a point, one minute comparos are the most important thing and the next they aren't.

Reverting back to how good the car is a change of argument mid-stream doc.

M
  • suvguy2005suvguy2005 Member Posts: 19
    "So the IS sedan not only outsells the cheaper A4, easily, it also outsells vaunted G35 sedan!"

A quote from the Edmunds review of the 2007 G35. "Last year, Infiniti sold 121,000 vehicles, 55,000 of which wore the G35 badge."

Automotive News used to allow non subscribers to view the sales charts but no longer does so I can't check it. Before they cut off access I looked it up and the G35 was second in sales only to the BMW 3-series. California makes up about half of BMW's sales. The G35 out sells the BMW in the rest of the country.
    Good to hear. My back will appreciate it.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    see. Then your earlier statement of "owning for 13 years" without any problem was just wee bit misleading

I've owned a single BMW323i for 8 years. A great car that had spared me a lot of heartbreak in terms of its low maintenance costs after warranty.

Am I the single happy long-term BMW owner in this universe?

Nope! I know other BMW owners personally and my experience is confirmed by various reliability surveys. Overall BMWs reliability is not stellar but they are certainly not below average.

BTW, with the heavily subsidized lease deals on BMW's nowadays,

BMW or MB does not monopolize the industry for good lease deals or discounts. I can assure you there are plenty of individuals that got great lease/discount deals at various Japanese luxury dealerships.

When the new BMW 7 series will be introduced you are going to have a heck of a time in terms of getting a good lease deal. At intro the days that a 7 series will sit at dealers lots will be very low in fact probably lower than what is currently observed with the new 335i:

The average 335i spends a mere eight days on a dealer's lot before selling, according to the Power Information Network The only rival model that's anywhere close is the Lexus IS 350, which spends an average of 20 days on the lot before selling.

The quote above is from a somewhat positive review of the BMW335i which is linked below:

BUSINESSWEEK
    California makes up about half of BMW's sales. The G35 out sells the BMW in the rest of the country.

I've never felt so Californian in my whole life.
    Although that still does not qualify me to vote for or against Schwartzenegger.
    The warranty is 5yrs or 50k miles . . . that's 3yrs of driving for a lot of people. Warranty only covers parts and labor, not the time wasted or consequences of unexpected service outage. The last part is what makes me balk at purchasing unreliable cars. I don't mind spending some time taking it to the shop at time of my choosing, but sudden service outage is a risk that I can not afford to take. More than half the time when I drive, I'm actually expected at the destination; clients who are paying thousands of dollars for me to be there . . . folks that I can not afford to upset with an unreliable car.

BTW, ever had a light bulb outage on those leased BMW? Besides the hassle of small things like the light bulbs, I had a transmission failure and a Motronic computer failure, both leaving me stranded, when I had my BMW's. That was during a phase of my life when my punctuality was not all that important.
    My personal experiences contradict your personal experiences with owning BMWs.

Statistically surveys do not show BMWs as being below average in terms of reliability.

Please refer to Kirstie's recent post. You can alway google and find horror stories about any marque. No marque is perfect in terms of reliability and that is why Lexus is still relentlessly pursuing it.
    A car model that sells 60k copies a year, even with 59k turning out to be complete lemons, would still have 1k satisfied owners. 1k is much more than "a lot," which is 20 ;-) That's the problem with anecdotal positive experience. Bad experience has to be the exception/minority in this day and age for any brand . . . the question is how "exceptional" is it for a particular brand . . . i.e. how many sigma's is the buyer/leaser willing to tolerate.

335i has been on the market for only a few weeks, whereas IS350 has been on the market for a model year. I'm already seeing 328 coupe being offered at very heavily subsidized lease deals.
    The S600 has never been beaten by anything, not the Rolls Phantom, BMW 760Li or anything else.

Definitely I cant think of a more worthy car than the new MB S600 in being crowned the benchmark HELM sedan.
    You are the only person I know who thinks BMW invented the lease deal :confuse:

There are some pretty good discount deals on Lexuses. But that does not make Lexus the inventor of good discount deals.

REALITY: Most luxury models especially when they're dated have good lease or discount deals. (BMW or non-BMWs)
    That's the problem with anecdotal positive experience

My anecdotal evidience is backed up by Consumers Report. BMWs overall are not horrible lemons as you are trying to imply. Dont mix up your past BMWs with the general population of BMWs.
    No offense to you Audi fans but this has to be one of the most knuckleheaded ads I've ever seen:

http://www.knucklehead.uk.com/html/player.php?id=100
    Those kind of worries are a thing of the past with most BMW models.
    BMW's quality has noticeably improved over the last several years.
    The only BMW car that CR doesn't have at average reliability or better at this time is the BMW 7 Series.

I drive a lot and I can't remember over the last, say 3 years, seeing any vehicle stuck on the side of any road. The average reliability of all vehicles is extraordinary compared to about 10 years ago. The only ones over there are usually those fire engine red sedans being checked out by ol' smokey and his "money pad."

Leasing works for me not only because I avoid potential maintenance headaches, but also because I enjoy driving a new vehicle as often as I can. I love cars, but because I am not Jerry Seinfeld or Reggie Jackson, both of whom have many cars, I can at least change the one I do have every couple of years.

Maybe the one year lease will be created just for me. I would pounce on that!
    I don't know, Dewey. I have never seen a good leasing deal on a Lexus from Lexus. They keep the residuals frustratingly low.
    Even some Lexus salespeople direct their customers to leasing companies or banks outside of Lexus that offer better leasing deals than Lexus does.
    The Q45 may just well be the most exclusive vehicle ever made! :)
    You can get some pretty darn good purchase deals on various Lexuses at least in my neighborhood.
    BMW is better with lease deals while Lexus is better with purchase deals.
    I agree with you that Lexus gives you better deals if you buy rather than lease.
    I wasn't talking about Lexus purchase deals.
    They discourage leasing through their artificially low residuals.
    If I ever decide to change my behavior one day and actually purchase for the long term (5-10 years), it would probably be a Lexus vehicle like the LS. But not at this time.
    And that's why I bought one!
    You may want to find a more credible source with the correct info.

See Doc, you can't believe everything that you see, hear, or prescribe, maybe not even YOUR on postings.

The A4 has sold 36k units at the time of this writing, compared to a paltry 32k units for the beleagured IS.

And the G35 is outselling it too!

Now basing your logic on 5 YEAR OLD can't comparos can't get your foot out of your mouth on this one ;)
    "The LS is for the U.S. only. It's called exclusivity!!"

Up until now, I've stood back and let you ponder around about the greatness of this brand. But now the gloves come off.

After all that, you can't tell me what the "most exclusive" car in the USA possesses over it's "valueless" peers?

Furthermore, how is being the most selling car in it's class being exclusive? Just because it's not in other countries, doesn't mean it's more valuable than the Taj Mahal! Oh, and newsflash, the car is sold in other countries, Japan for one, but it flunks miserably there. I guess it's not exclusive enough.....
    IMHO, it's not Lexus artificially keeping residuals low, but the Europeans artificially inflating the residuals. I don't know of anyone who keeps their BMW's or MB's at the end of a lease (aside from those being forced into it due to mileage penalty otherwise).
    The good doctor gave his source and I notice that you neglected to do so. Please post your source if you want to be credible.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

You took your gloves off just to throw cream pies? Puleeaasssee. That rhetoric jibber-jabber doesn't even deserve a come back.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I couldn't agree more. It's the same thing with the pricing. The LS pricing is right on but people buying the "prestige" of some of the European makes are simply paying too much. Talk about paying for the "sizzle".

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

The LS pricing is right on but people buying the "prestige" of some of the European makes are simply paying too much. Talk about paying for the "sizzle".

Paying for Sizzle? Don't forget, houdini1, that Mercedes Filet Mignon is supposed to cost more than Lexus Tri-Tip.

BTW, now that the pricing is out, go ahead and price out a loaded LS460L against an S-Class and see just how much difference there is.

TagMan
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Furthermore, how is being the most selling car in it's class being exclusive? Just because it's not in other countries, doesn't mean it's more valuable than the Taj Mahal! Oh, and newsflash, the car is sold in other countries, Japan for one, but it flunks miserably there. I guess it's not exclusive enough.....

Ooh that was good. I could not have said it better myself!
    blkhemi - I think houdini1 already knows that his "exclusive" remark was not one of his best posts. He said it as bait. I answered him in post 20021 and in his next post 20022 he sort of threw in the towel on the remark.

If you need to do so, check out those posts.

So, in my opinion, we can let him off the hook regarding his "exclusive" remark . . . he knows it wasn't one of his better posts and I expect he'll be making quality posts here again soon.

TagMan
    Having a higher price tag does not necessarily mean costing more or worth more. If a car has an MSRP of $100k, is usually leased with a 3-yr residual of $60k, but can never fetch more than $40k at auction after the lessee returns the car after 3-yrs . . . how much is the car really worth to begin with? It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. I mean, how much is a $50 Filet Mignon really worth if it comes with a $20 gift certificate or a second meal of equal or less value with every serving?
    Let me off the hook? What is that? I thought I was letting you guys off the hook. And when I say exclusive, I mean exclusive. One of my more clever remarks. Looks like we are going to game 7.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I know how much Lexus hybrid efforts have been ridiculed in this forum especially in the form of the GS450H but believe it or not a dedicated Mercedes man who happens to be the head of research at DaimlerChryselr is completely impressed and overwhelmed by the Lexus GS450H.

STUTTGART Every couple of months, Thomas Weber, head of research for DaimlerChrysler, gets behind the wheel of one of his own cars, or that of one of his competitors, and drives through the mountainous terrain of Europe or on long stretches in the United States.

While taking a spin this year, the lifelong Mercedes man found himself impressed with a novelty on the European market: Toyota Motor's new Lexus GS 450H, the world's first luxury car that incorporates an electric hybrid motor but still performs for a demanding driver like Weber.

Based on the Herald Tribune article I linked below it certainly does seem that Mercedes, Audi and BMW are very serious about hybrids. Diesels are not going to be their sole pursuit in terms of fuel efficiency.

So I guess we are going to see a lot of future drivetrain experimentation for the three German marques. There will likely be many models offering both diesel and hybrid drivetrains simultaneously. A Audi Q7 diesel sold simultaneously with a Q7 hybrid, a diesel MB S sold side by side with a hybrid MB S or hybrid diesel MB S and so on and so on.....

SOURCE: HERALD TRIBUNE
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Well, Mercedes have never been comparison winners, save for the SL. I don't think Mercedes cares a great deal.

The same is probably true for Lexus. You don't want to be a bottom-feeder, in either case. But what would you rather be good at? I'm sure they don't build cars to please journalists.

The M35/45 has put a nice string together, and can't outsell the beleaugered GS!

This previous post of mine seems to have you chaffed, still.

I apologized for not including GL and AMG vehicles.

All comparisons count, but I due place more credit on beating 6-7 cars in a comparison than 1 or 2 cars.

Apparently you didn't get my point, which was that winning a comparison and being #1 in sales have different values to different people.

The M has won at least two major comparisons, and it has it's work cut out keeping up with such unpopular cars (around here) as the Lexus GS.

Lexus has stated they want to sell 30k GS a year. As far as I can tell, every month they are getting 2500 a month out of it, so even if it isn't King of The Mountain, it is successful to it's maker, and to 30k buyers.

No one "copped out". Just stating the facts. I was the first one to say I envisioned a design more in the 5-series idiom, than what we received.

The SC doesn't have to win comparisons to be a success. Neither does the C-Class. Or the Lexus ES.

I remember when the 1996 Isuzu Trooper won an 8-truck SUV comparison in C&D.

Would you call the Trooper a success? No. Why? Because no one bought one.

If the boring LS can, consistently, win comparisons with other sexier, sportier, more powerful rides, it says something about Lexus and their ability to execute.

Usually when something is labeled "critically-acclaimed", that means nobody is buying/watching it. :sick:

DrFill
    Your Filet Mignon and gift certicate argument makes a lot of sense.

But any auto maker that uses your inflated residual argument will end up perishing due to losses or at least suffering the slow and gradual death that is afflicting the Big 3.

BMW and Audi profits are healthy and growing while MB profits are going through a healthy recovery(apparently the same cannot be said about Chrysler). Fortunately such economics as you are describing above is not applicable to the three German luxury marques.
    And the G35 is outselling it too!

The 2006 G35 is also a lame duck. G35 sales should get a nice boost next year.