Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Appreciate that! Looks pretty sweet to me! Hope it makes it there. Never been very impressed with Mercedes' sedans style. Looks like a step in the right direction.

Huge leap forward, IMO. Thus the reason I placed the link.

Glad you liked it, too! :D

TagMan
    The USAToday writer equates an enthusiast with a poseur or with someone with an inferiority complex that wants to flaunt what he does not have. I find such a view insulting for all car enthusiasts.

Well . . . it is obvious that the author has identified the situation, but has failed to truly understand the nature of it . . . which has nothing to do with genuine enthusiasts.

Phonies, wannabees, pretenders, and counterfeiters are generally not enthusiasts, for goodness sakes.

TagMan
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well, as long as they keep chasing each other it is good for us, right?

True, very true. Something we can definitely agree on.

M
    Hey, don't worry, no one was saying that MB's Alabama plant had issues because of the Alabama workforce.

Nope, I never bought that either. There are (as thegraduate pointed out) other plants in AL and all across the U.S. the turn out better quality vehicles. The only other plant the comes to mind from a foreign make is Nissan's plant in MS. It has been very troubleseome for them.

M
    If they are working towards each other (Lexus getting more sporty, BMW getting more reliable - neither of which I know of as true), then surely the car market can satisfy most people!

Well they are definitely trying to cross each other on those goals, somewhat. Lexus will only go so far with their quest to take on BMW. Infiniti has them beat by a country mile in that respect, but they'll still try to capture some of the BMW market. The IS350's suspension calibration and the lack of a manual tell you how far they're going to go. On the flip side most car companies are trying to match Toyota in reliability. BMW has the money and smarts to do it if they're serious about it.

M
    But the quality woes that plagued MB at the turn of the century seem to have faded away, particularly on all of the new product.

Uhh...not quite IMO. On the S-Class I'll stick my neck out and say yes. Also the more serious things that went wrong with the E-Class (Nav, SBC brakes) have been resolved so we'll have to see how the 07' E and S models do. This will be crucial in determining whether or not MB has truly turned the corner. The ML and R being from a different plant and thrown together in a different situation than German Benzes don't inspire any belief in MB having fixed their problems with that plant and those models.

M
    Not sure how I missed this post. Sorry to hear about your injury. Question though, a 911 has a soft enough ride for you? The SL and XK are much more comfortable as far as ride quality is concerned. A 911 is still a sports car, you're cheating...lol!! :D

M
    The next E won't look like that. Edit: that isn't too bad but I'd have to see the front end.

There will be no S-Class convertible. Maybe a CL convertible or a Maybach 4-door convertible, but a S550 droptop..never!

As I recall, he'll be eating the brochure shortly after its release. merc - will that be with Ketchup, Mustard, or Bar-B-Que sauce?

LOL....maybe I'll make a pizza out of it with the Ketchup.

M
    911 has a soft enough ride for you?

Compared to the Lotus, a skateboard is a soft ride. Seriously, as I recall it should be OK. But, I'll absolutely test carefully before final dollars exchange hands. The GT3, however, would be totally out of the question.

The SL and XK are much more comfortable as far as ride quality is concerned. A 911 is still a sports car, you're cheating...lol!!

OH yeah! :) I'm grabbing every last fiber I can at this point. But, you are so right about the beautiful SL and XK. I love them both, but I don't want two vehicles of the same brand in the garage, so the XK is out for now. If the 911 is too harsh, the SL is indeed the backup, as you said.

TagMan
    More Mercedes-Benzism just for you:

AMG

Scroll down to episode 21 and then Mercedes-AMG.

Well you know my vote is for the SL.

M
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Congrats to all of you who helped get this board opened back up. Glad you are all enjoying yourself... It looks like one happy family here, which is a good thing. Just don't screw it up again...

I'll be here lurking. Don't make me join the fray now, OK ? We surely don't want this board shut down again now, do we ? :P :shades:
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    But the extra costs and risks involved do not even come cloes to the pleasures I will gain with such tires.

Then why is BMW switching over to designs that involve run-flats?

BTW, taking subway is probably more dangerous than driving one's own car, when disease and mugging are taken into account :-)

32 visits to the repair shop in a year and half is not the kind of risk everyone can afford to take with their primary cars.
    I too was very confused by that S-class convertible picture, but if the picture is real . . . it will be interesting to see a four-door convertible that does not have a basket handle. What exactly are the rear doors hinged onto? and how do they keep the posts from flexing?
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Cruising the streets of Southern California, officials at Kelley Blue Book, an auto-buying service, say they've seen Mercedes eight-cylinder coupes rebadged as 12-cylinder versions, a sedan with emblems that would make it a coupe, and fake high-performance AMG or Brabus models.

This recalls a fellow I met 15+ years ago. He kept referring to "my M3". When I saw the back of his car, the badge was "318is".
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Tag, my grandmother tells me that the Buick Lucerne has a nice smooth ride. :) And I hope your injury did not involve a chandalier or a trapeze!

Seriously, take care of yourself and I hope you will be in the market for another Lotus before long. If you remember a while back I asked about your QP? I had that confused with the Lotus.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Hi Oac! What's your story these days? Are you getting an LS460 or what? I think you said you would wait awhile. I see it's been slow over in Lexico. By the way, there's a Chinese restaurant near us that makes a dish called Happy Family.

;-)
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    "I feel like Hondas are a poor man's Bimmer."

Hey thegraduate:

I hope you move up to the real thing some day.
    If you love driving, you will find there is nothing comparable in its price range across the BMW line.
    Remember, the cheaper the BMW, the better the performance.

Perhaps you should be thinking of going for a post-graduate degree! :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    "I feel like Hondas are a poor man's Bimmer."

Hey thegraduate:

I hope you move up to the real thing some day.
    If you love driving, you will find there is nothing comparable in its price range across the BMW line.
    Remember, the cheaper the BMW, the better the performance.

Perhaps you should be thinking of going for a post-graduate degree!

Yeah, well, at the moment, I'm going into Broadcast Journalism (not a high-paying field, but I aboslutely LOVE it)...maybe I'll be lucky enough to make the big time and make some actual $, and buy a Bimmer.

And I've always heard the more basic the BMW, the better!
    And I've always heard the more basic the BMW, the better!

That's why hpowders is about to trade in the 5 for a new twin-turbo 3 next March. ;)

This is the one he will get:

link title

TagMan
    And of course, there is always the Accord EX V6.
    One of our regular posters here has one, in addition to his high-end stable. I plan to test drive the EX V6 sometime soon.

PS:

1.You can get a low-mileage 2003 325i for less than $25k.
    2. I have read your informative posts over on the various Accord threads for quite a while. Good to see you here! :)
    You just may be right, Tag.
    I am seriously thinking of going back to the 3-Series.
    The 545 just doesn't have the same thrill in the corners.
    Dewey seems to be very happy with his.
    I still have many months to think about it. I would do the 335i coupe, not the sedan. I love the look of the coupe....unless BMW comes out with some diesel models in 2008.

One thing about BMW's, I never have issues with the seat, steering wheel, foot well or console. Always perfect. A real pleasure.

At this point in time, half-way through my lease, I can decisively say, for my next vehicle...I am completely indecisive.

Hope your PT is helping you feel better!
    Okay. So.... are you getting an LS460 or a 550i?
    Have you driven each?
    I sure would like to know your comparative impressions.
    TMC recall of 54,000 vehicles for spontaneous combustion.

I guess that "reliability" argument has now gone up in flames . . . literally.

I'd rather have a Mercedes and risk some mechanical trouble than risk being grilled well-done in one of these babies.

Source: link title

TagMan
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    And I thought MY car got hot when sitting outside in the sun...
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Tagman and Howard,

Among almost every manufacturer of HELCs small is not beautiful. Less is not more. A small Jag (X), a small Lexus (IS), a small Cadillac (CTS), and a small Benz (C Class) just does not cut it IMO.

While a large BMW in the form of a 7 series does not seem to be as representative of its marque as the S Class is to the Benz marque. I love my 335i far more than the 530xi touring that my wife now drives on a full-time basis. In the case of Bimmers small is beautiful. Less is more.
    Among almost every manufacturer of HELCs small is not beautiful...In the case of Bimmers small is beautiful.

AND, IMO . . . In the case of Porsches . . . small is beautiful.

TagMan
    As I recall, he'll be eating the brochure shortly after its release. merc - will that be with Ketchup, Mustard, or Bar-B-Que sauce?

LOL....maybe I'll make a pizza out of it with the Ketchup.

Well at least our E Class vs. 5 Series sales bet was a gentlemen's bet. Put a lot of Pepperoni on it and it shouldn't taste that bad.
    AND, IMO . . . In the case of Porsches . . . small is beautiful.

Absolutely! A large barge-like Porsche Panamera is not my cup of tea.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    " On the flip side most car companies are trying to match Toyota in reliability. BMW has the money and smarts to do it if they're serious about it."

boy, if only money & smarts could get you class leading reliability, BMW would have had more reliable cars years ago(just so it's not taken out of context, I'm not saying BMWs are unreliable) not to mention a whole lot of other makers would have had equally reliable cars. for example benz, ford, GM. But quite frankly, making reliable cars is not as easy as saying "we got the money & the smarts". hey, Benz can't make cars that handle and feel like a BMW, Audi can't and nor can Lexus. At the same time, BMW, Benz, or Audi can't make a reliable car to the degree that Toyota can either. Most carmakers have certain strengths, BMW has driving dynamics, Audi has AWD, Lexus has quality, and then you got some that have only intangibles to fall back on like a benz or Jaguar. If reliability were soo easy to emulate as you think it is, MBs reliability wouldn't have fallen off the wagon like it did thru most of the 90's and the first 5 years of this millenium, and Lexus wouldn't be the most reliable car 17 years running. And if BMW could do it all, wouldn't it already be "done" by them?
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Hi Oac! What's your story these days? Are you getting an LS460 or what? I think you said you would wait awhile. I see it's been slow over in Lexico. By the way, there's a Chinese restaurant near us that makes a dish called Happy Family.

Hi Designman/Howard:

The story is real simple. My 14-yo daughter hates my LS, but likes the 'Trix. She is the one next in line to start driving by 2008. So we figured why not wait till when she gets her license (in 18 months), we'll then get rid of the LS, and flip a coin for its replacement - heads she gets the 'Trix and I get a new car, OR Tails she gets a new car and I keep the 'Trix. My wife and my daughter are all for this "deal", so with reluctance I had to kill the LS460 deal I had on the table. :cry: Still interested in giving BMW a try for my money... who knows what'll happen in 18 months !!!

but... but... but... I am supposed to be lurking.... so back to my rocking chair.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    So, how bad is the C-230, really?

I have a number of misgivings about ever buying a Mercedes, but if I demand a manual transmission, that's my (one) choice for that marque, excuse me, car.

BMW is at the top of my short list, but I have this one Merc on there as well.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Apparently had a comparo of the LS460 vs S550/500. Can't find the article but the cover is here. Those who track the german boards....does anyone know what it said?
    I have always been a compact car guy even though I'm 6'2".
    The 545 is a great vehicle but I can run rings around it with a 325i. (Not talking about acceleration).
    Compact cars are simply more agile than mid-sized vehicles.
    Can't dispute those laws of physics.
    I can see myself comfortably down-sizing next time around.
    No more 5 Series unless BMW comes out with a diesel in 2008 which achieves raves.
    Agree on the Panamera. Porsche is making a mistake, IMO.
    Man is that ugly! Shocking!
    Hey Oac:
    The 550i should be one sweet ride. Try it with the comfort seats if you can. Comfortable without being too soft.
    You can't beat the BMW warranty- all factory recommended maintenance for 4 years, 50,000 miles. If you ever do need help with the BMW, you just press a button and you are blue-toothed to BMW. I have never needed to use it.

However, if you decide on the LS460, enjoy it.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Yeh, but what if you wanted to play it $mart and buy one a couple of years old? Only a hedge fund guy could afford the out-of-warranty maintenance expenses on say a 2003 7 Series.

On a not unrelated topic, I see a lot of people (although less now) driving American SUVs who clearly could afford a HELC, I wonder if, in addition to all the other reasons advanced for their popularity, some of the success of SUVs is the perceived rugged simplicity, won't complicate your life with electronic gizmos?
    I think a lot of folks think SUV's can be pushed to extremes of daring that HELC's cannot.
    Talk about being misinformed.
    Yet I see it every day. The people driving most recklessly are the SUVers. Driving them like BMW 3 Series. Guess they didn't take physics 101.
    The people driving most recklessly are the SUVers.

Morning moms with the kids on the way to school. :surprise:

One hand holding the Starbucks, and the other holding the cellphone . . . look!...no hands on the steering wheel! :sick: ... Get outa the way!!!

TagMan
    Agree with you on that the different brands are put their spin on the products even as they battle each other out in overlapping markets. That's essential to maintaining profit margin: product differentiation.

On the flip side most car companies are trying to match Toyota in reliability. BMW has the money and smarts to do it if they're serious about it.

Agree with the first sentence, but not the second one. BMW has neither the money nor the smarts nor even the right manufacturing circumstance to replicate Toyota's reliability. BMW is very good at maintaining profit margin, but the overall resource available to BMW is limited. BMW worldwide sales is only about $14 billion, whereas that of Toyota is $160 billion. It takes a lot of raw cash flow to engineer and test vehicle to tight tolerance and high reliability. The devil in the details costs a lot of money to be engineered out :-) BMW probably can't even afford the army of process and quality control engineers that Toyota has. The overall R&D cost of a platform like the Civic/TSX/CR-V/RDX and Camry/ES/Highlander/RX cost $5-10 billion nowadays. If BMW or MB spend that much money on a platform, they'd have to quit making all other models. The overall R&D cost of ML/R/GL for example is less than $1 billion. That's why there are so many more bugs in the ML/R/GL compared to the higher volume platforms from Toyota and Honda. The Honda and Toyota production lines are much more automated. BMW on the other hand touts "flexible manufacturing," which means more work done by human labor on the production line. It's a completely different approach. I do not fault BMW for making that choice; it's a necessity due to lower volume: what's the point of installing a billion dollar of robots if the whole model is only expected to generate a few hundred million dollars in revenue?? However, that decision does have an adverse effect on final product quality. That explains why the domestics are having better luck than the Germans at improving product quality in the past decade. As much as we like to make fun of the domestics, they are better placed in the market place to emulate the Toyota/Honda success on quality than the Germans because the domestics have the volume/cash flow (even if little of that cash flow translates into profit)
    What car is in that pictures? Doesn't look like any Harrier (RX) or Windom (ES) that I have seen.

More than a couple MB's probably had wind shield wiper failure in the middle of a down poor, like one of the magazine testers found on an ML; more than a couple 3 series probably had DSC failure that almost flipped the car, like another magazine editor found during a test. Not to downplay the significance of cars catching fire, but 2 out of millions of these two models sold is hardly relevent to the statistics. I will change my tune when one of those buggers catch fire during a magazine test :-)
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    On a not unrelated topic, I see a lot of people (although less now) driving American SUVs who clearly could afford a HELC, I wonder if, in addition to all the other reasons advanced for their popularity, some of the success of SUVs is the perceived rugged simplicity, won't complicate your life with electronic gizmos?

I've noticed that as well. To me it seems that there are more women drivers of those large domestic SUVs than men. I think they make them feel less vulnerable on the road, as there is a perception that these large vehicles are somehow inherently safer than a traditional sedan. Of course its not actually true, a S-class or LS460 will be unbeatable when it comes to active safety. The domestics on the other hand have a poor track record at that.
    Absolutely correct. Women are the main buyers of SUV s. Makes 'em feel safer.

Next door are an empty nester couple with 2 SUV s. They are expanding their garage and spending thousands, rather than trading in one SUV and getting a sedan. Total lunacy, IMO.
    J.D. Power and Associates rated Jaguar as number one in Sales Satisfaction for a 3rd consecutive year.

The Jaguar brand has earned the top quality award from the German motoring magazine Auto Zeitung's .

The Jaguar XK was Recommended for the 2007 Award in the Premium Sporty/Performance Car category by Consumer Guide.

The fact that a such a small company like Jaguar which happens to be owned by a financially trouble parent(Ford) is proof that any auto manufacture can be successful in achieving outstanding reliability and sales service success.

Trying to build a car that can mimic the driving dynamics of a Porsche or BMW is another story altogether. Even the most financially well endowed companies in the world cannot mimic these two niche players.
    "With reluctance I had to kill the LS460 deal."

A good Dad.

A not so good Dad would have tried the old Ralph Kramden trick: "Heads I win. Tails you lose." :)
    Sounds like my step-daughter. I was supposed to follow her one day and she completely lost me in her 4.4 X5. Gave me the ol' Freudian slip! ;)
    So, how bad is the C-230, really?

Not bad, not bad at all. But is it really that good?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    And it really doesn't belong here... :)
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Brightness, that is one good analysis/post. Complete backed up with facts and figures instead of generalizations we often see on this forum. Keep up the good work.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    You call the following facts and figures? Sounds like general opinion to me in addition to the platitude:

The devil in the details costs a lot of money to be engineered out BMW probably can't even afford the army of process and quality control engineers that Toyota has.

As much as we like to make fun of the domestics, they are better placed in the market place to emulate the Toyota/Honda success on quality than the Germans because the domestics have the volume/cash flow (even if little of that cash flow translates into profit)

You wanna analyze the devile in the details? Maybe you should look at BMW's PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING as opposed to Toyota's quality-control engineering. Poor little BMW quality-control engineers ain't good fuh nuttin'. They only put their money where their mouth is with a 4-year warranty with free maintenance and great lease deals, the latter of which has everyone perplexed.

Throwing up $14 bil vs $160 bil isn't what I call facts and figures. It is only being used speciously. Get into the "devil in the details" rather than making generalizations with facts and figures.

More Toyota worship and sanctimony.
    BMW worldwide sales is only about $14 billion, whereas that of Toyota is $160 billion. It takes a lot of raw cash flow to engineer and test vehicle to tight tolerance and high reliability.

With BMW's mere 14 billion, they have managed to engineer some of the best handling cars in the business. Yet, Toyota has that massive warchest and leaves one wondering just how much money could Toyota possibly need to improve the performance of some of its vehicles, and why then does the performance of Toyota/Lexus vehicles not even come close to that of a BMW, even when appropriate such as with the Lexus IS.

I'd have to say that when it comes to vehicle performance, BMW is much more capable with its money . . . especially considering the massive monetary difference between the two companies that you highlighted.

TagMan