Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• sellaturcicasellaturcica Member Posts: 145
    You know the VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7 are all based on the same SUV platform? From what I had heard, the Cayenne was tanking badly in the markeptlace- I would think Porsche dealers would be willing to deal.

"Porsche charges an outrageous 7.3% to lease a Cayenne and I have a feeling there would be limited wiggle room with them.

I'm sure I could do well on a Q7 lease. "
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    How many bike do you carry (usually) at a time?? You really owe yourself a trip up to western N.C as I see pretty large groups biking folks, and they have alot of designated roads up there....If by chance you do come that way I`l be there to welcome you Tony ps be prepared for some up hill going, and some exciting bmw driving
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Looks like were all still here.

I just got off of the phone with Jaguar Concierge. They phoned to let me know the Jag should port here on Friday.

By my calculation, with me more than likely getting it next week, that's a week and a half ahead of schedule.

Just in time for spring, I'll be letting these stubborn grays waver with top dropped.

Anyway, how's everyone doing. HP's buying an SUV? Other than Bimmer?? Watchout world! ;)

BTW: With some talk going on about the Q7, I did get a chance to drive one for 2 days when I had both the W12 and S8 in for routine service last Thursday.

The model I had was the Q7 4.2 Premium w/20" wheels. In short, I can say Audi definetely brought their game when it comes to this vehicle. It has the usual Audi interior greatness and overall better build quality over the T'regg and Cayenne. But if you command that "King of Throne" high-sitting seat arrangement, you won't get it here. It's about the same height as it's platformates. Look towards Escalade or GL, and to a "higher extent"- the Range Rover for that reason. Other than that, the 350hp 4.2L V8 scoots this ride to 60 in under 7 seconds, fast enough. But if power is in your blood, then the 500hp+ V12 TDI that's coming this fall should address anyones concerns, even mine. And it still gets over 20 mpg. All in, I walked away very impressed. This vehicle does not disappoint, but neither does the GL, Range Rover, Escalade. And I thought the S/7/A8/LS/XJ class was tough....
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Still not close enough to my value range to be interested. (5.04%)

I got the 545 for 2.4% interest.

Right now the X5 is still "hot."
    Next year, at this time, I wil take another look, though, seriously, the X5 doesn't ring any bells for me.
    An SUV. Yes. For practical reasons. But it must be fun to drive, if one can say that about any of these behemoths.

Like the 545, whether I choose the Q7 or MDX, I will still have coveted exclusivity around here. The cargo vehicle of choice down these parts is indisputably the Honda Odyssey.

Glad to read you liked the Q7!

A 3.6L Quattro Q7 can be had for about the same monthly lease payment as the base MDX-about $540 a month, assuming 7% tax factored in.
    The interest rate on the Q7 lease offered by Audi as I write this is an astonishingly low 0.912%. The MDX can be had for a minimum of 6.6% from Honda Financial.

If this trend continues, the Q7 will head my list.
    My 545 lease is up in the summer of 2008. So I am just beginning to formulate a strategy at this time.

As I write this, the Cayenne lease has an outrageous 7.44% interest rate. If that doesn't go down by at least 200 basis points at this time next year, I will not waste my time going to the dealer to drive one.
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    The 2008 version may have real wood, but I doubt it.

That seems really unlikely. As with Lexus, Acura doesn't like to change their cars much until they are redesigned. Isn't the Cayenne a bit small? The other poster is also correct, its bombing so badly lately that Porsche stopped production until the refreshed one was ready, so I have to assume Porsche would be willing to make an uncharacteristic "deal" on one.

What about a GL450, or even a LX570 when it shows up?
    I re-read your post. I see you didn't mentioned that you wanted the all-out full-size ute.

Then in that case, the MDX, Q7, and GL should be sufficient as they all possess 70 or more cu. ft.

The Escalade, RR, and LX may all be too big, and you'd definetely miss anything associated with BMW handling in these.

I would recommend the X5, but it is still just as tight on the inside as the previous model, although it does ride a bunch better due to the switch to a coil-over-shock suspension, abandoning BMW's close relationship with struts all the way around.
    Yes, I don't need anything huge. Just my wife, the bikes and me. No dogs. No kids.

I drove the X5 several years ago and found the suspension too harsh. I sat in the new version several months ago, and I can easily do without one.

The fact that the Q7 can be leased for about the same monthly payment as the MDX has me quite interested in the Q.
    I live for great values!
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    My dream ride is going down from the summit of Haleakala Crater in Maui-no peddling-all downhill (check the brakes!!) with Tagman meeting me at the bottom with a cup of fresh Kona coffee in his 911!

Do you want cream or sugar with that? ;)

TagMan
    On second thought, I'd like to change that order to a cool, extra tall Tanqueray and tonic. Hope I caught you in time! :)
    No problem. Damned good idea! :)
    TagMan
    Yes. I had a feeling you would like the idea! :)
    Yeah, the new X5 is an honest effort from BMW. It has certainly retained most of the good principles that the old model laid out yet banished most of the worst ones.

I do question why BMW gave into the pressure of putting that puny 3rd row in the X5. Definetely should've left that for X6/X7 duty.

And yes, currently the Q7 3.6 actually leases LESS than the MDX in our parts. But when you step to the 4.2 Premium maxed-out, things get a little hairy. Just cruise for the deals. They hate to see guys like you and I come to the showroom...
    The 3rd row on the X5 is a $1200 option on the 4.8 and $1700 on the 3.0. I sure wouldn't order it.
    I don't need a 3rd row, but anyone who truly does, better look anywhere but the X5. It is a totally useless waste of money.

Yeah. I only lease vehicles I get a great deal on. Being totally prepared helps. Also, not getting emotionally involved with any of these high-end vehicles doesn't hurt either. Which means getting up and walking out quickly if I feel I am wasting my time.

When my BMW salesguy in Sarasota told me he couldn't offer me the 545 on my terms and that his offer was the best I would be able to get on Florida's west coast, I said sorry to hear that but I am willing to make a deal with a Palm Beach BMW dealer on my terms and enjoy the 250 mile drive back in my new 545.
    The next day, I got an e-mail from Sarasota saying my terms were okay; so I got on the phone and he was sputtering this and that, acting all upset. Yeah. Right. Like he wasn't making money off me anyway.
    These guys are unbelievable! I have absolutely zero sympathy for them. I'm sure after my transaction, he made plenty more than he should have on some other folks and slept soundly that evening.

I go through this dance every 3 years (hopefully now, 2).
    You are correct. Dealers hate people like us. But they have only themselves to blame! :shades:
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Make sure you are driving that trip alone. My wife screamed all the way down from Haleakala as I drove after the obligatory sun rise trip. It was only with a rental Monte Carlo, with plenty brake usage. The trip down Haleaka did prepare her for the road to Hana though :-) For what it's worth, we got the car with less than 50 miles on the odo, but when we returned the car two weeks later, the brakes definitely felt different ;-) Such is driving in Maui. Gotta try the sashimi at Costco there. We went there to pick up boogie boards and snorkelling goggles, ended up taking back to our hotel 5lbs of raw tuna sashimi! POG juice was just perfect for downing that. Oh yeah, had the pleasure of feeding sashimi to birds and cats afterward having my fill :-)
    Yeah, agree with you on the dealers. I have resolved to go to Munich once a year just to satisfy my auto requirements, until and unless BMW drops its lease subsidies, as I need three cars.
    I can empathize.
    I did half of the road to Hana in a spunky little Subaru.
    My wife requested that I turn around as she was feeling car sick from the way I was "taking the turns." :shades:
    I've never done that. Wish I could drive the 545 at their highway speeds! :surprise:
    Speaking of Maui, I'll be taking the family back over there for Easter vacation. Unfortunatley, it gets way too crouded that time of year, but now that we're not living there any more, we're kind of stuck with the kid's school breaks, like the rest of the world.

But it's still fun, of course. My daughter will want to surf as much as possible, my son will want to build the freakin Hearst castle in the sand, my wife will want to spend a year's income in the shops, and I'll need to relax my neck with as many island drinks as I can after I do some deep sea fishing. I've landed some big ones in the past. And whether I catch 'em or not, I'm still getting those drinks. And having my Kona in the morning to get me going all over again, and keep up with the rest of 'em.

I'm willing to bet that when it's all over, I'll need a vacation. ;)

TagMan
    The best Kona coffee I experienced in Maui was at the Grand Wailea Napua Club Tower.

Enjoy! :)
    That's where we'll be, actually. I remember walking down the beach and watching that behemoth being built when I lived there... just up the beach a ways where those private homes are located... I think you know where I mean. :shades:

Hey, what do you really think of the Q7's styling? I like the vehicle's interior, but I've got to be honest and mention that I'm not all that turned on with the exterior styling, and I was wondering if you or others felt the same way.

TagMan
    Hey, what do you really think of the Q7's styling?

The Q7 with its soft curves seems more like a big brother to the Allroad wagon than say the GL or LX, which are the big traditional boxes. I wouldn't call any of these vehicles gorgeous, but the Q7's look is at least interesting, and the interior is far better than the Lexus or Mercedes, in fact I like it better than the RR's.
    I don't care much for the Q7's exterior styling either. Kind of reminds me of the...ugh... Infiniti FX. (except from the front, where it is patently "Audi"). I prefer the more conservative MDX, but I will go where the bargains are.

Hey, is the fence still electrified where you used to live? :)

When you get there, see if the Kona coffee they put out at the Napua Club breakfast buffet isn't the best coffee you ever tasted. Also, be prepared for a lot of kids... a lot of kids. I actually prefer the slightly more sedate Four Seasons next door.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    While we are making travel plans, I have successfully snagged 4 tickets to the Monday practice round at the Masters this year. My foursome will rubberneck all day Monday and then play a couple of the local courses on Tuesday and Wednesday (Stone Mountain and The Atlanta Trophy Club) then return Thursday.

Just to stay on topic I will probably scout out an LS 460 in my spare time. :)

PS: The Kona you get here never tastes the same as in Hawaii.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Wow! Being a spectator at Augusta National is something I would drop everything to do at a moment's notice! Enjoy it. Something I'm sure you will never forget.

The Kona coffee you get here and in the Maui gift shops is usually stale and is only about 10% Kona beans.
    You haven't lived until you have tasted fresh, 100% Kona coffee! It can be ordered online from various island farms.

But, wouldn't you really rather drive one of Tiger's Buick courtesy cars? :)
    After seeing Augusta National in person my plan is to tell everyone that I am sure that I could shoot par there. Then dare them to arrange for me to prove it!!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

the Q7's look is at least interesting, and the interior is far better than the Lexus or Mercedes, in fact I like it better than the RR's.

Well, LG, sometimes you and I agree and sometimes we don't. This time we don't. I think the Range rover is stunning, sharp corners and all. The Mercedes GL is OK, but overall I'm not thrilled with it. But from an exterior styling standpoint, I'd have to put the Q7 slightly behind the others in the group, not say that it's bad, but it's just got some strangeness to it that I don't like... while the others do not.

But the Range Rover... it's got the looks hands down, IMO.

TagMan
    I've stayed there before... yeah the kids are everywhere, and the Four Seasons has changed... lots of kids, too. And, yes, the club's Kona coffee is very good. I might have seen you there, but never knew it! ;)

Well, we also agree about the Q7's styling.

Every once in a while our local Costco carries 100% Kona coffee beans, and I buy bags of it.

The wife's '06 MDX has been perfect so far, and the '07 is supposed to be even better.

TagMan
    Don't forget to bring back the video of you going down the water slide! :shades:

I didn't know about Costco and Kona. Might be worth renewing my long-expired membership.

One Edmunds consumer review down-graded his MDX because the steering needed too much effort! Now I'm really interested in the MDX! :)
    I'll be the one with the drink in his hand fighting off hotel security.

The Kona only shows up once in a while... that's why I buy so much of it when it does show up.

Yeah, we don't want any of that girly steering, that's for sure. We want to steer like men! :shades:

TagMan
    Shoot par there? Not with those slick greens. I guarantee folks like us would have at least several 4 putts! Try adding at least 10 strokes to your regular score.

To keep on topic: Any of the HELCS above would look smashing driving through Augusta National's main gate.
    I, myself, would prefer to do it in a shiny red 911 with the top down, sunglasses on and a premium gin and tonic at the ready in the driver's cup-holder. But that's just me! :shades:
    Well, the only way you can prove to me that I can't shoot par there is for you to take me there and arrange a match. OK?

Tag, how did those Kona beans smell on the ride home from Cosco? :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Unfortunately, I am not a member nor do I know any members at that distinguished club; although my son-in-law has connections at Pine Valley in NJ.

I'm lucky I'm still a member here on Edmunds! :shades:
    One Edmunds consumer review down-graded his MDX because the steering needed too much effort! Now I'm really interested in the MDX!

Thats the one thing that I don't really like about the X3, the steering is very heavy at parking speeds, but too light at highway speeds. I prefer the opposite.
    Who knows? Maybe real wood will be an option in the 2008 version.

That guy who posted as an Edmunds consumer reviewer was the only person out of tons of professional and consumer reviews that I have read who complained about the MDX steering. Everybody else who commented about the steering had good things to say. Therefore, I cannot really take his complaint seriously.

Personally, I would rather have more effort than less.
    Tag, how did those Kona beans smell on the ride home from Cosco?

Kona is one of the very best, IMO... better than Columbian... but because of Juan Valdez and his cartel, Columbian rules the planet. ;)

BTW, heavier power-steering beats light over-boosted power-steering anyday. And I agree with Lexusguy that if it's going to be variable, there should be more assist when parking and less assist as the speed increases.

TagMan
    I`v heard from Merc and he is fine.... The loaner my wife got when she serviced her bmw stationwagon was a 3 and Hpowders thought maybe he would consider the new 3 convertable----way too small---IMO--- Tony
    In post 482 on the LS forum it has finally been found out that the larger brakes for the LS only come with the Touring option.

Since the recently tested LS had wonderful brakes but no touring option, one must assume it had the regular smaller brakes.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I've given up on the 335i convertible, Tony. Just not practical. I need a lot of rear space.
    I gathered that, but just thought that maybe a bit or re-inforcement wouldn`t hurt....It was quite firm in its seat and ride.....Ironically I had a couple of cups of the coffee you were writing about today--just by accident---and it really was quite good... In other words I could tell the difference Tony
    I have to give up some performance for a more practical vehicle. If I could have a weekend toy, the 335i convertible would suit me just fine, I'm sure.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You know what I'm gonna say, right? :shades:
    Did anyone else notice this piece of gem? A 4.0L V8 weighing less than a 3.2 I-6! So much for the officious "lecture" that I was given a few weeks ago here on the inherent weight advantage of I-6 over V engines. I wonder how much additional weight saving BMW is going to realize in the next generation of 3 series and 5 series by replacing the turbo charger plus I-6 with a new V8.
    Did anyone else notice this piece of gem? A 4.0L V8 weighing less than a 3.2 I-6! So much for the officious "lecture" that I was given a few weeks ago here on the inherent weight advantage of I-6 over V engines. I wonder how much additional weight saving BMW is going to realize in the next generation of 3 series and 5 series by replacing the turbo charger plus I-6 with a new V8.

You don't have all of the facts here, brightness. The M3 I6 is not related to the I6s in the regular 3 series cars, just as the new 4.0L M3 V8 has no relation to BMW's standard V8s. It was made from steel and iron, not the ultra-light magnesium and aluminum of the 25\28\30i engines. The 35i engine is all aluminum to strengthen it to handle the forced induction. BMW is not going to kill off their I6s.
    Good catch. Nonetheless, why is the I6 in M3 made of iron block instead of aluminum? For compactness, so we are told. In other words, packaging. Apparently there is not enough room for the bore diameter corresponding to an aluminum 3.2L built for horsepower instead of torque. The very fact that BMW would go for a cast iron block instead of aluminum on the performance-oriented M3 goes to show that weight savings is no longer an advantage for I-6 in today's performance compact sedan, due to packaging requirement (engien length vs. crumple zone). An aluminum V6 would have fit the "compactness" requirement (i.e. shorter in a longitudanal mount) and weigh substantially less; heck the new V8 M3 is the living proof of a V8 going in there and still weigh less. Of course BMW is not going to kill off their I6's; BMW still has I4! With no bore increase beyond the current 3.0 liter in a regular production engine, I6's are destined to move lower into the food chain . . . with the higher models of even the 3 series to take in V engines . . . perhaps in this case V8 just so as not to make a joke of all the old I-6 marketting literature :-)
    ...I6's are destined to move lower into the food chain . . . with the higher models of even the 3 series to take in V engines...

To cut through all that, just look at the bottom line facts. The 300 HP I6 twin-turbo is one of the best powerplants to grace our shores in generations. It is nearly the performer of previous M3s. Thus, the requirement of something even more significant had to be slated for the next M3's engine compartment... voila - cast iron V8.

As the logical thinker you are, you are adapting the logical thought that the V8 is therefore a better engine, afterall it's a V8 that's going to power the M3 and an I6 is the engine of choice for the regular 3-series.

But it's not quite like that. The M3 requires an inherent performance advantage, due to its badge, and the marketing that surrounds it, but all that does not necessarily mean that the cast iron V8 is better... it just means that it will do the job that the M3's engine bay requires.

So, don't jump to conclusions by stating that this M3 V8 engine will be the mainstream 3-series engine any time soon.

TagMan
    Hmmmm...that seems to be the Acura RL's argument that no one pays any attention to. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

To cut through all that, just look at the bottom line facts. The 300 HP I6 twin-turbo is one of the best powerplants to grace our shores in generations. It is nearly the performer of previous M3s.

Not to mention the fact that it outmuscles both the state-of-the-art Lexus 3.5L and Infiniti 3.7L V6 engines. I did find it a bit interesting though that Edmunds, who has never really liked the G, found that the new coupe handled better than the 335i coupe, and while the BMW over heated and had to limp home, the G37 had no such issues.