Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The recent Hyundai posts have been moved to the Luxury Lounge where the subject is already under discussion.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    GERMANY: Porsche no longer ruling out diesel
    19 March 2007 | Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Article summary:
    Porsche's head of research, Wolfgang Dürheimer, has said that Porsche is not ruling diesel out completely.

link title

I dont know the details of the article above since I have no intention of registering to their site. BUT based on the few words above I am almost certain Porsche will use VW TDI engines and specifically for the Cayenne they will use the V10 TDI offered in VW Touraregs.

With Porsche's close ties to VW it makes no financial sense whatsoever to develop new diesel engines from scratch
    Hey folks is there anybody still alive here?
    It's so quiet here I can hear the crickets.
    Is it still too early to write up and post a eulogy for this once very lively site?
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    The Luxury Lounge has become the favored place it seems.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    And who was it who told everyone to come over there? Hmm, I can't quite remember... ;)
    Am I being paranoid or do I feel a finger is being pointed at me. ;)

Nope it wasn't me. It was Designman sometime last year that had invited the folks here to join the Luxury Lounge.

After vacating in that luxury lounge these past few months I have really begun to appreciate your services as a host. At first I liked the more carefree and uncensored atmosphere. But now the lounge is afflicted with an overwhelming amount of drivel.
    I remember when I left the International Auto Show last Thanksgiving that one of the luxury cars that impressed me was the Mercedes S600. AutoWeek has a lot of compliments to heap on this wonderful S600 luxury sedan from Mercedes Benz. Here's the review that is so perfectly appropriate for this forum:

link title

TagMan
    Now how's this for an S600 killer?

link title
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    "Nope it wasn't me. It was Designman sometime last year that had invited the folks here to join the Luxury Lounge."

You have your facts wrong. I started that thread but never once mentioned it here. You were the one who issued a "change of address" notice here and proclaimed that you would have a "new residence" over there. Have you sold the house again? It doesn't matter... I like to think we are all friends, regardless of which thread we meet in.

;-)
    Have you sold the house again? It doesn't matter... I like to think we are all friends, regardless of which thread we meet in.

Nope I am still a citizen of the world and I will not restrict myself from visiting any Edmunds forums. Except I have no intention upon visiting the "Edmunds Geo Metro Window Regulator Problems Forum". ;)
    You are correct D-man. It was indeed Dewey who recently invited us to the Luxury Lounge. I recall checking out the forum myself, and I also recall that it was around that time that the BMW financials and BMW lease/residual stuff became the debate for many days, particularly between Dewey and brightness. That forum was burning hot for a few days.

Anyway, we're all still hanging around here... and that's the good news. Little by little we also seem to learn a bit more about each other in the process. One day in the far away future, we're all going to agree to meet at a car show and have a great big laugh... or... perhaps shock the hell out of each other... well, maybe NOT.

But, at this point in time... I'm still waiting to hear from blkhemi regarding his shiny new Jag XKR. What's the scoop on THAT?

TagMan
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    How about a spot of Kona at Spago's at the Four Seasons, Maui instead?

Let's agree to keep the "drivel" limited to accommodate everyone at the table. Only HELC talk allowed! ;)
    Yes, you are right... Spago's is much better, but it would be much harder to keep "on topic". :)

TagMan
    We'd have to fly a couple of hosts down as moderators.
    We'd have to fly a couple of hosts down as moderators.

In that case, I vote for THIS kind of Hawaiian host...

:shades:

TagMan
    LOL!

But this host will have to be armed with a spear in case things get rowdy while discussing inflated residuals ;)
    I guess Detroit during a cold January would most likely be the spot to go to.

Warm compared to Toronto?

TagMan
    But this host will have to be armed with a spear in case things get rowdy while discussing inflated residuals

Brightness will behave just fine. After all, if we ever need to find him, all we need to do is look for the guy with the Bobcat fixing up that property, with the Saab in the driveway. ;)

TagMan
    This post is dedicated to Merc. I just know he would like this car.

The article:

link title

And one of the photos...

Here's to you, Merc! :)

TagMan
    And with those last 4 words, you hint at the real reason for the HELC slowdown. :(
    And with your nostalgic toast, you imply the real reason for the loss of HELC momentum.

Alas! :(
    Yes... I'm afraid so. No more "Doc vs. Merc", either. At times, that was better than HBO boxing. ;)

Oh well...

So, Hpowders, what do you think of that 40th anniversary edition? It really is sweet, isn't it? (Except for the wheels, maybe).

TagMan
    I hope Merc comes back soon.

4.4 seconds sounds about right. A serious engine.

Those wheels look to me like something I would expect on an Infiniti M45. :(
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    With hosts like that I doubt I will have much time running the Bobcat ;-) BTW, neither the Bobcat or the Saab will be visible from the public road, not even the house for that matter. I actually missed the driveway entrance altogether the first time I went there. I had a 75ft driveway with the house where I was living a few years ago, but this 200+ft "trail" in the woods, before hitting a 75ft diameter circular where the structures are located, is something else. That's why the Babcat will be necessary to begin with; the Saab would be hopeless when snow storm hits as it had plenty difficulty struggling up the 75ft straight one-way driveway a few years ago after heavy snow. The modern HELC's are only beginning to be re-acquainted with vehicle height. OTOH, it won't be long though before they get to the height of R class or the pre-1970's Rolls sedans.
  • iceman2iceman2 Member Posts: 23
    In the Chicago area - BMW dealer has a NEW leftover 2006 750i. They want it off the lot and willing to deeply discount. I'm having a hard time finding new pricing/invoice info on '06's. Looking to negotiate a steep discount, then a great lease. The car's sticker as follows:

Car $71,800
    Luxury Seating
    Premium Sound
    Comfort Access
    Satellite
    Rear Shade
    Total MSRP $79,990

Any thoughts on price to offer?
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I haven't been to this forum in days.

What happened to merc?

We fought a lot last year in the RS4 forum. It was entertaining. He's quite bright.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
  • esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Start at $65K and go up. Don't go past $72,000.

That may be a bit aggressive, but I'm an aggressive person.

'06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet • '04 Lexus RX330
    Invoice is around 13% off MSRP so if you consider that we are 4 months into the new calendar year, I would add another 1/3 to that which brings it to 17.33% off at $66,128. That's the MOST I would pay. Add incentives similar to those they have had in the past and that price could plummet even more, to the tune of maybe $60K. That's what I would offer and if they ask what your offer is based on explain what I have just said. Also, throw in the fact that the car has already depreciated because of its age and that the 7-series isn't a hot seller to begin with.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I heard my name......briefly...fleeting almost. :blush:

Anywho, did anyone catch the LS Hybrid (LS600h) commercial during SportsCenter?

438HP Hybrid. The ad more or less compares it to dragsters with jet engines.

Referred to as "The New Fast", it is shown blurring the landscape, quietly.

Summer '07. ;)

DrFill
    Doc, it was the good TagMan that mentioned you recently. :)

Now on to your tings... World car is a terrific award, and credit where credit is due. The LS600hL will set new standards, IMO. An amazing car, no doubt. But, only 438 HP? How come?

But...Yes you heard me, BUT... even though the LS600hL is a hybrid, it did NOT get the 2007 World Green Car award at the New York Auto Show.

The car that received the 2007 World Green Car Award is a MERCEDES BENZ. That's right...
    The Mercedes E320 BlueTec DIESEL received the 2007 World Green Car Award.

This car proves what is about to be the biggest surprise to hit the marketplace... namely the resurection of the diesel engine in the United States.

As I've been saying, "A diesel revolution due to diesel evolution". The new tougher EPA fuel economy ratings for 2008 will strongly favor the diesels, but hammer the hybrids. Hybrids will be forced to "sell" the performance aspect of their system, while the diesels are already known for their massive torque and will become known as the "greenie" choice, and EPA champions of terrific fuel economy. Not to mention that they can burn bio-diesel, which will attract the American heartland.

Get ready Doc... the war is about to start. In 2008, the diesel will start its ascention. And the announcement of the 2007 World Green Car Award is just the first shot over the bow of the hybrid boat. :D

Nice to hear from you! :)

TagMan
    Surely you meant TWO tings. Da Mets are gonna go undefeated. 3 down, 161 ta go. ;-)
    DON'T GET ME STARTED!!! :blush:

The Cardinals got SOOO lucky last year that Pedro and El Duque got hurt just before the NLCS. There was no doubt then, as there is no doubt now, who is the best team in baseball! ;)

Cardinals got their receipt, burned their "Ace" to boot. I got an "Ace for ya! Even Joe Morgan said Carpenter can win without his best stuff. Ain't beatin' the Mets without his best stuff.

That's ok! Another quallude.... :mad:

DrFill
    D-Man,
    Do you remember last season's demonstration by the Mets, in the championship series, of some of the worst sportsmanship baseball has ever seen! And to think I used to be a Mets fan in the late 60's... only to be rewarded 40 years later with THAT kind of pitiful behavior.
    I know the Doc loves 'em... and he has every right... but gosh, where do they get off acting like that?
    They never gave the Cards the time of day, let alone the real credit that they deserved... They treated 'em like a bunch of lucky hicks. Lucky? No way! ...David Eckstein was freakin' amazing! As were the rest of them! And I'm not even a Cards fan, but I'll give 'em the credit they deserved. They EARNED that title, and the Mets didn't. Mets fans are still crying about it like a bunch of whining babies.

Sorriest bunch of poor sports I've ever seen. :P

(Don't bust a gasket, Doc... I'm havin a little fun with ya!)

TagMan
    Two Tings!

First Ting: It's not like Lexus lied to us, like Ford will do with tow ratings.

60Hp doesn't sound like much to balance out AWD and the extra std. equipment, but hybrids tend to be torque monsters, so a 4.9 time is doable. Combined MPG is said to be 21. ;)

And my #2: I would've liked 450, just because. Doesn't that Audi V10 have 450? Torque may be the key to this machine.

I personally think this HP thing is getting out of hand. Mercedes needs to push HP, to justify their pricing, but Lexus plays many instruments well, and doesn't need to get sucked into a game Mercedes can't afford to lose.

A five second car is great. Can't throw stones at that. And it's good for the environment.

Can those protesters at the NYIAS look any dumber? Protesting Toyota on environmental issues is like complimenting Bush on his foreign policy! :confuse:

DrFill
    LOL! :P

I'll fight you on Toyota/Lexus issues, but the Mets are my hometown club. They're like my children. I can't bear to see them hurt. Really causes issues.

I'm surprised they were so respectful during the flag-raising before the Opener. I'd take it personal. Willie is a good leader for times like that. Delgado and Wright had some kind words. :)

As you know, I am not so forgiving. :blush:

DrFill
    Like the good D-man said, plenty of games to go this season... let's see what they can do.

I personally think this HP thing is getting out of hand. Mercedes needs to push HP, to justify their pricing, but Lexus plays many instruments well, and doesn't need to get sucked into a game Mercedes can't afford to lose.

You are griping about Mercedes playing up the horsepower, when Lexus played up that eight-speed transmission? Talk about trying to one-up.

TagMan
    How far do you go before you are CVT?

At least there is an end in sight. These aren't bicycles!

Mercedes will be at 1000HP within a decade. Por que? :confuse:

DrFill
    Personally, I think we're at the end of the gas ICE HP war. Only technology, such as hybrid, will add power to the gas ICE, but it is early to see what will happen with the diesels when they jump in soon. Dewey reports that there will already be twin turbos added to the BMW diesel, and this is just the beginning. Due to the diesel's massive torque, it will be new territory to see what happens. I really do think that "efficiency" will be a key part of the equation in the near future. "Efficiency" as it relates to power and to fuel consumption.

TagMan
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I'm very impressed with the interior of the new LX, I think its now best in class. Certainly far superior to the GL at least.

• gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Ditto... great looking interior. The outside of this 70K beast is pretty nice too. This trucks's just what I was looking for.. an LS460 on stilts.

Now I need to work on justifying spending the extra $$ when a Ford Expedition gives me more room and a better third row at a 40% price cut.... I'm sure I can convince myself it's worth it after a test drive!!! Those lexus vehicles are down right intoxicating.
    The Cardinals got SOOO lucky last year that Pedro and El Duque got hurt just before the NLCS.

IIRC it wasn't the pitching but hitting that let them down. They had their chances.
    Do you remember last season's demonstration by the Mets, in the championship series, of some of the worst sportsmanship baseball has ever seen!

???? I'm drawing a blank. Refresh my memory. Maybe it wasn't flagrant enough for a New Yorker to notice? ;-)

(Actually I am very keen on sportsmanship issues and CAN'T STAND the end zone tango and such.)
    Lexusguy,

Thanks for the pic.

It looks good to me also, at least from the photo.

The ONLY thing that kept my wife form owning the LX470 was those Mickey Mouse flip-flop third-row seats.

If they got them to fold flat this time, I'll look at the new LX570.

BUT... A BLUETEC DIESEL GL (the '08 VISION model) does seem more compelling at this point.

TagMan
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    The seats don't fold flat -- even on this new version. The design seems to have been improved through. The seats fold up electronically and are locked in position on the sides -- they almost seem like part of the sides of the truck when folded up-- very unobtrusive, but still not completely hidden for 100% cargo usage.

I can't understand why they can't redesign the suspension somehow to make 'em fold flat like other SUV makers have been able to do.

Funny you mentioned the "mickey mouse ears" thing -- that's EXACTLY what I thought of the 470's third row set up.

Here are some more pics from every angle....

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/lexus-lx570/
    The seats don't fold flat -- even on this new version. The design seems to have been improved through. The seats fold up electronically and are locked in position on the sides -- they almost seem like part of the sides of the truck when folded up-- very unobtrusive, but still not completely hidden for 100% cargo usage.

I can't understand why they can't redesign the suspension somehow to make 'em fold flat like other SUV makers have been able to do.

My best guess is that this new LX570 is not based on the Toyota Land Cruiser. My best guess at this point is that the new Land Cruiser and this LX570 are both based on the freakin SEQUOIA! And that would explain why the LX570 LOOKS like a dressed up Sequoia, and why the seats still don't fold flat.

The motorized assistance for those seats, however is a BIG plus, IMO, and for the most part makes them functional. So, I must give credit to TMC for at least realizing that they were a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to deal with manually. That is definately a good move. The interior shots look terrific, IMO, as I mentioned to LG. But that exterior... well, let's just say that it's an improvement over the last generation, and it looks OK, but nothing to get too excited about.

Overall, it appears to be an improvement inside and out, from what I can tell from the photo gallery. So... I would expect it to be a success story. The LS600hL's powertrain would be a good thing for this SUV, IMO, and it wouldn't surprise me to see an LX600h in the near future. That would almost be a necessity to compete with the Mercedes BlueTec Vision GL which will feature a monster-sized diesel. BTW, the GL has motorized third-row seats that fold flat, as they should.

The Mercedes BlueTec Vision GL is the one I'm watching out for. I expect to leave a deposit at the Mercedes dealership for one in the near future, as I think they will sell out quickly.

Thanks for the link!

TagMan
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    I believe the reason that it doesn't fold into the floor is that doing so would require a change to a rear independent suspension, which in Toyota/Lexus' view would compromise the off-road-worthiness of the vehicle.
    VERY few have a real rear end frame, most are unibody type designs. Tahoe has similar issues, I believe.

Power 2nd and 3rd row seats should placate the masses.

Comparing an Expedition to a Lexus/Land Cruiser is......something.

Having sold an Expedition or two, you get what you pay for. ;)

DrFill
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    My guess is the Sequoia also. I hope we are wrong and it is all new. The exterior sure looks like the Sequoia though. Does anyone know for sure?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Sounds like you and I are on the same page... It sure looks like a Sequoia.

TagMan