Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    They are going to become merc1's worst nightmare because they are trying to make Chrysler mimic MB. Big mistake. It will hasten the demise of MB's status position. Looks like a lot of part sharing is starting to happen as well. On top of that it seems they are going to blur the S-class and the Maybach with the next gen S-class. Some already think it is blurred. It seems they are searching for an answer. I'm sure merc1 has it for them - sell Chrysler ASAP and redesign the Maybach.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I think you missed what I was asking. I was saying to ask the people you do know what their reasons for having/driving a Mercedes is. You know if they say that the "driving experience" was one of their reasons, since you didn't understand that when others spoke on it. I wasn't asking how much of a lure MB's had where you are.

I'm really curious about this "body build" you mentioned, that is so superior on the LS vs the S-Class. Care to explain that?

There are no blurred lines right now between the Maybach and the S-Class, but the spy people are saying the next S will look similar. I'm not sure what I think of that just yet. If they can make the next S look better than the current car (hard to do imo) while picking up something from the Maybach, then do it, everyone knows the Maybach is a W140 S-Class revisted anyway. If it's going to be a Maybach clone I'll be in Germany protesting....lol. Yes, they either need to see Chrysler or let Chrysler be Chrysler, the German bosses can't and don't understand the "regular" car market. They can't apply Mercedes marketing principles to everyday Chryslers and expect them to sell in the hundreds of thousands.

M
    I already know that answer. These people seek the best - not just in cars but in everything. I'm the same way. Most come to realize the best is often not the most expensive. No one ever raved about how great the MB drove - just that it was a good car but not as good as in the past. The "lifetrime" MB guys who switched all complained about the deterioration of quality.

Mfullmer - That's a bad dealership - probably without much competition around. The MB sales guys in my neck of the woods were more congenial and it was more of a Lexus type experience for me. Those I know never spoke badly of their dealership experience. That was one bombastic salesman. Wasn't he smart enough to realize he was putting down the car?? .... Have you ever seen the LS430 in Cypress pearl?
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I'm getting the Moonlight Pearl with the Ultra Lux package and Ecru Nappa leather interior. I'm supposed to hear when it is going to be in port this week but nothing yet.

I do love to drive my SL on the weekends, especially in the Spring and Autumn here in Atlanta. I've even been known to drive it in the summer with the top down and the A/C blasting - that system rocks, you could freeze a hunk of beef with it!

The biggest problem is when I go to put the top up or down. I usually take the hard top off in March or so but I keep the soft top up in the Garage when it is parked. Every time I go in there to put the roof down and drive it I get this nervous sick feeling, especially if someone is with me. I get the same feeling when I go to put it up. I've stopped putting it up when I'm parked because several times it has malfunctioned then - now that's embarrassing.

The worst part of all is the dealership. I've never, ever seen such pompous jerks in my life! I actually got into it with one of the salesmen one day when I was there having the roof looked at. I was talking to one of the other customers there waiting that I would probably be getting rid of it before the warranty was up because it has been so unreliable. This salesman overhead me and had the nerve to say to me "Most people who buy these cars can afford to take care of them." in that usual, condescending MB way. I was livid. I had complained to the Sales Manager when I purchased the car because of the obnoxious attitude I had to deal with from the salesman. This guy knows me well. I told him that this was EXACTLY why I would never buy another MB again and I told the salesman that he was an "ignorant <bleep>" because I paid cash for the car to begin with. The Sales Manager said nothing but did give him a cross look. Who knows what happened later.

In any case, my 4 year warranty is up in May and I've only put 13k miles on it so it should be easy to sell. I'm not sure what (if anything) I'll get. I would like the SC430, my aunt in California has one and loves it! But I'm just not sure, it doesn't do anything special for me. I'll have to just wait and see.
    Actually we have a new MB dealership in the Buckhead area of Atlanta now. I'm not very impressed with their sales staff either. I went in there and looked at an S before deciding on the LS430 and the guy became cross with me when I balked that they were raising prices for '04 even though, in his own words, there were no changes and the fact that he didn't know that the NAV system has been standard on the S for a few years.

I did see the LS430 in Cypress Pearl and I liked it a lot but my partner didn't. That was my first preference. We tried to see the Briarwood because it looks kind of nice in the media but there were none available and, in the end, I wasn't so sure I wanted to have to sell a "brown" car when I'm finished with it.

I really like the silver but that is what my STS is and we sort of have a mental block against it now. They Moonlight Pearl just seemed to look the nicest and will be easiest to resell. It's not "White" but it's closer to White than anything.
    It's obvious that you haven't taken a objective look at the LS430. I drove them back-to-back on the same day while looking and the Lexus is definitely built better. From the body panel fit to the interior - the quality shines in the Lexus.

Of course, the MB is not a "bucket of bolts" but it's not the "vault-like" vehicle it once was.

BTW: I'm going to be driving my friends 1988 MB 420SEL for a couple of weeks after I turn in my STS and until the Lexus comes in. Now THAT is one of the best cars they have ever built. He drives a '98 S420 now but drives the '88 a lot because it's a much better car.

Hey MB! Bring back an updated 80's version of the S and you may just get a new customer!
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    With most of the conversations here focusing on the Japanese and European cars, I thought I would add a few comments about Cadillac. I don't know anybody that owns one, so I checked out an SRX at the Chicago Auto Show the other day. The vehicle may drive very well (I have not driven one), but what a huge disappointment!

Here are parts of the car I find shocking, especially since the SRX I sat in was $58,000:

1. A 15-year-old design for what I'm guessing is the On-star antenna. I see these on all Cadillacs and it looks horrible. These huge antennas went out of style at least 10 years ago. Either design a small, modern antenna or do like many other brands with On-star and don't have any antenna.

2. Washer fluid squirters on the hood that are black. Would it have cost that much to have these painted body color so they actually match the color of the car?

3. The trim on the rear door, below the window where the chrome strip meets the black rubber surround, is not flush. It looks like Cadillac didn't make the chrome strip long enough and added a black rubber "patch." It was like this on all the SRXs and is totally inexcusable in a car costing this much.

4. Inside, the door material is hard and cheap. Again, what was Cadillac thinking when they chose this material?

5. There is a sliding cover on top of the center console. This cover is as flimsy and cheap as they come. It seems like it would be broken in no time. There is simply no "substance" to it.

6. The sides of the center console between the seats are also a very hard plastic. I expect this in a $20,000 car, but not one costing almost $60,000.

I could go on, but in short Cadilllac really needs to pay far better attention to the details on their cars if they want to command these premium prices.
  • bluestar1bluestar1 Member Posts: 112
    This story proves you do not need any $ to buy your dream high-end luxury marque. You don't even need to be able to drive either.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/12/teen.bmw.scam.ap/index.html

Now, why didn't I think of this earlier ? Could have saved myself a hell of a lot of dough buying the LS for $53K back in Nov '98

:)
    Well you've assumed wrong. I've examined both cars over and over and time and time again. The reason I asked him about such a thing is because it's funny to me that one would be able to gauge how well a car is built bodywise but can't tell the difference in the drive....thats very interesting to say the least. When I think about "body build" I'm talking about the solidity of the body, how the doors close etc, and yes paint and body panel fits, not lots of wood and leather than anyone can have in a car.

No Mercedes doesn't build them as tank-like anymore, the last such Benz was the 1992-1999 W140 S-Class and ironically your (R129) SL. Any of these cars, LS, S, 7, XJ, A8 or Pheaton would be hard pressed to be as rigid as the W126 (1981-1991) S-Class. If you built a car with steel and sheet metal that thick and pack on the features today's car require you'd wind up with a car of Maybach heft. That particular S-Class was engineered to take a direct hit front or rear at 65 mph and still allow the doors to open and close freely.

Another reason I asked because on this board especially you'd read these post and think a Mercedes doesn't even compare, and at times it's a little ridiculous.

I think the S-Class is a about the best balance product out there considering all the optional features coupled with arguably the best safety engineering around. They had to come down from the previous car, add way more features and lower the price at the same time, so yes a few trim pieces might not on the same level as before, but again on this board the Benz (according to some, not all) is so terrible and that is what I find to be downright ridiculous. Lexus on the other hand starts with one car and then covers two segments, smart yes...but I find the LS430 to be the most boring car in the segment, quality or not. It's a yawn box.

About your car, I agree your dealer is awful and such behavior is equally ridiculous. So they've never been able to fix your car?

M
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    Circling the wagon (a la Chris Berman, ESPN), so to speak.

I have been gone from reading this thread for months. Came back to find over 200 posts in a spate of 2 months. Couldn't bare to read through ALL, but the *few* I read shows we haven't moved much. The old Merc_vs_LS argument still persists. Granted it is entertaining, but for how long ?

I mentioned this quite a while ago on the LS board that a friend of mine, a die-hard MB fan for over 20 years, is finally making the move from his S500 to the 2004 LS. He waited out the 2003 model bcos he found out about the changes to the 2004, especially the 18" wheels and the much improved sport-tuned (Euro) model. Well, he is now waiting for his to arrive at the dealership. He got exactly what he wanted, and for a whole lot less than the MB sales guy quoted him for a comparable S500. Along with the S500 he currently owned, he also had a 760iL which he literary gave away to charity a couple years back. One more LS owner, and one LESS MB owner. Personally, I cannot wait to take it for a spin. Would be fun comparing the 2004 LS430 Euro to my *decrepit* 1999 LS400 with the oh so soft suspension....

Me, I wait for the 2007 re-do. Will do whatever it takes to buy one in 3 years from now, trading in my current 1999 model. Which, btw, continues its spotless work with narry a problem to report.
    No, they've never been able to fix it. Because it is intermittent, they have only seen it inoperable once. Every time I bring it in, inlcluding that time, all they can say is that it is NOW working "within specifications".

The time it was inoperable when it got there (I had to have it brought in on a truck, after backing it onto the truck and covering it with a heavy painters tarp (that I had to buy) because it was stuck in about the 1/3 way up position.) it "miraculously" began working after the first day it was there. They even told me they didn't even have a chance to look at it, except for when it was first brought in and I made them try to operate it. Of course, when they went to work on it it was working so they just called me and said it was "fixed".

They were so unethical that when I asked them what the problem was the Service guy told me that the mechanic must have found something because it's now working but when I got the paperwork they had written it up as "Convertible top operating to manufacturer specifications. Called customer and advised that technician could not duplicate problem." Of course I was livid and made them change it.

Regarding your statement about the "balance" of the S class with it's options I'd have to differ. How can these "options" make the car "balanced"? Many of these are standard on the LS430 and, even with the Ultra Pkg on the LS, the price is still $7k more than the base S430.
    Just experience and contacts are what tell me the Lexus has the better build. One of the guys who swapped out told me the LS is built better than his prior S-class. In fact his view is Lexus builds the bullet proof car that MB used to build. I'll also never forget shutting the door of my buddies 1999 S320 and seeing the mirror fall out. He told me that was the least of his problems with the car. Then there are the numerous posts I have read about rattles and things that drove some people crazy on the S-class board. I read these things and hear about people's problems first hand, see things for myself, read the Wall Street Journal story of MB's quality decline and come to a subjective conclussion. I do it in business everyday as well. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

I don't doubt you that MB built a car as well as you stated in that time frame. I've heard those legendary stories as well. Do you not think that I also said to myself that in time I'll buy an MB because it's the best? But why did they stop building them that way? Obviously it was due to gas mileage issues or the market got far too competitive or it moved from those types of safety concerns or they misjudged how long they could build a car of that quality at a price people would pay. Maybe people just aren't willing to pay that kind of money for a car that can take a 65mph hit in the rear the way you describe. I wouldn't.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    Indeed, I do not ever recall calling the XJR a bad car. It's a great car, beautiful, gorgeous interior, grand tourer mentality - it just was a bad fit for *me* for a variety of reasons.

I would agree with those who say that the best Lexus models (LS and the big LX) have a better interior built than the Mercedes models they stack up against. Not that I've ever felt the comments about "cheap" Mercedes interiors are accurate - Mercs tend to stick to the clinical, highly functional German philosophy that sometimes comes across as borderline austerity. But indeed the Lexus build for the LS430 and LX470 sets standards, and I am someone who appreciates excellence in crafting mechanicals. It's simply superb. There are very few cars out there to rival it: the new Range Rover (but it's a $#@! to keep clean, a friend complains), and then you have to basically look for a Bentley's incredible oppulence. Jags I find somewhat overrated - my XJS was leather and wood almost everywhere (but endearingly creaky), the XJR had seen some Ford cost cutting and had some cheap material exposed to the touch (door armrests and wells, middle armrest the most blatant ones).
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    Maybe they are drinking "beer" as their beverage of choice while assembling the MB?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    You're closer to the truth than you might think. When I was working from MB-USA in Stuttgart, we had beer in the office once or twice a week. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Fridays at 3:00 in my old (parent) company in Amsterdam the beer always came out. It's custom but somehow I think it's an executive office thing.
    I'm sorry to hear that, honestly. I know how annoying an intermittent problem can be with a car.....especially when the dealer is not helpful. Don't scream at me when I suggest this...lol. Have you ever thought about letting them keep the car for a few days to see if they can duplicate the problem? Of course mileage and some other details would need to be worked out so they don't just have a field day with your car.

What I meant by the S-Class being balanced is that you can get whatever you want on it, and whatever you don't want. That level of customization combined with a lighter car than the previous edition was quite a feat imo. Yes the old car had the build, but on features it wouldn't have survived once all these newer cars came along.

ljflx,

I don't think you're "wrong" overall, but its the panic like talk on this board that gets me. You and others (at times) act like a Lexus has never, ever had a single problem. Seeing a mirror fall out of a door is not a normal thing on any car, especially a Benz. Not by a long shot. Once you hear certain things over and over about quality declining you'll believe it and look for every little thing you can find to underline this point. Yes there has been a quality decline at Mercedes-Benz, no argument from me there, but this hysteria about Benzes constantly being on the side of the road has gotten ridiculous. If someone tells you a story about a house being haunted, you'll be convinced of that the minute something happens in that house. Things that could happen in any house, or car for that matter. This talk like no one with a Benz or any other "European" car as you put it, having a good ownership experience has just really gotten as tired as all the raving about leather/wood/sound systems to me.

Mercedes stop building cars that way because basically their traditional "overbuilt" or over engineered way of doing things weren't appreciated by enough people to make the business plan viable anymore. Mercedes made all types of advances in their cars, things that other makers, save except Volvo, were still "researching". To really appreciate a Mercedes you have to see the guts or "saw it in half" as they say. The company has had to go through a many changes and change priorities due to the Japanese entering the market and secondly the need to sell more cars. When cars like Lexus come along with a fancy wooded interior and killer sound system people could care less about the engineering aspect of the car, as long as it works. This is what Mercedes must either make reliable or change. A very tough spot to be in.

I personally am not impressed with all the wood/leather/sound systems that Lexus partially makes their case with. I like the more technical aspects of a car. A car like a ES330 or LS430 are no different in theme (not execution) from a Avalon or Camry.

M
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    merc1,

I respect your dialog and insight but your statement "car like a ES330 and LS430 are no different in theme (not execution) from a Avalon or Camry" is a bit much. The Camry, Avalon and ES330 are all engineered off of the same Toyota front-wheel drive platform. The only Lexus vehicle that is possibly comparable to the rear-wheel drive LS430 is the Lexus GS - at least from a basic platform.

Like you, I still love MB cars (and German car driving dynamics in general). I own a MB SL (R129), in addition to a Lexus LS, 4x4 Suburban and some other vehicles. I own different vehicles because of different needs and desires plus for multiple home locations that dictate unique recreational or diving situations. I plan on keeping our SL for ages but am somewhat waiting for the new S-Class (2005) and new LS (2006) and will then most likely make a purchase decision between the two.

I have by far owned more German cars then any others and still keep looking at the current MB S600. I just love the torque and power of the supercharged V12 and the amazing handling of a car of its size. Unlike others, if I was to purchase another S-Class it would almost certainly be the S600 not a S-Class V8 offering. Unfortunately, I have just hear and known of too many electronic and other issues with the current S-class but keep trying to convince myself that maybe they have finally fixed them. I still long for the days when MB engineering was more mechanical instead of electronic. Also, I am somewhat put off by the spy photos of the new S-Class since I just love the looks of the current generation.

Anyway, keep up the MB information coming - I really appreciate your posts. Like you I love their driving dynamics and beautiful designs. And if you know any current generation S600 owners I would love to talk to them. Quite a while back I posted a query on the S-Class board for S600 owners and got zero replies.

JF
    I'm with you on the MB board issue but as JF states, if you feel that way about an LS430 than you clearly don't understand this car's greatness. There are many S-class people that have swapped out of Mercedes for this car and they love it. But you won't hear me put down Mercedes. They make fabulous cars, are still on top (you don't lose credit for all the years of greatness they had so easily) but they do need to clean-up a few things. The public is only so forgiving.

I easily understand the complaints of my friends about MB. I'd sound the same way if Lexus took a slide. There are certain things that you want to be as solid as money in the bank. A bulletproof car from the likes of MB and Lexus is one of those things.
    If someone tells me a story about a haunted house I'm staying the hell out of that house.
    Wow...your and SL owner too! The R129.......the tank.

I think you and ljflx misunderstood what I meant by that statement about the Camry/LS/ES. What I meant is that they are similar in theme, not actual execution. Meaning that from the top of the Toyota line to the bottom they make great appliances, reliable etc, but they're designs (exterior, interior) control layout, etc are the same. A LS430 really doesn't say anymore outwardly than an Avalon does, though it might ride 10 times better and is much quieter. This doesn't detract away from what the LS430 can do and how it does it for most, but for me it does to a degree. What I'm saying there is nothing aesthetically to get excited about. There's no true "design" or appeal to a Lexus for me. The only ones I even remotely like are the SC430 and surprise, surprise the GX470. I know how "great" the car is, based on yours or ljflx's criteria.

jamesfletcher2.........Nope I don't know anyone with a current generation S600. There are a few S600 (and other high-end Benz owners) on the News and Views boards. Look into some of topics, which might pertain to Mercedes.

ljflx,

About that haunted house, I'd be curious to see what's really up with it...lol.

M
    I almost had a heart attack just now. You like the GX470???? You amaze me - my friend. By the way it's a fabulous SUV.

Haunted houses - Ever since I read the exorcist I want no part of the horror scene.

I like the functional layout that is similar in design. I look for Toyotas when I am on the road so that I know where most functional controls are. I had a horrible experience looking for the windshield wiper control on a Taurus one time in a Florida deluge on I-95.
    Well...I went with my parent's neighbor to get her ES330 serviced and while there her salesman (she's bought 3 ES' from him now) talked her into taking a GX470 out for a drive. She had some trouble getting the ES330 up her driveway a couple of times. Whoever removed her snow did a half-__ job of it and the remaining layer turned to glare ice, not the car's fault. On my parents block they have those steep driveways with that large dip where the driveway meets the street. Anyway she liked everything about it except for the size. I have to admit I did like it as much as I could like an SUV I guess. I still like the Touareg better, mainly due to its more manageable size and Euro interior. But the Lex is a good truck nevertheless.

M
    merc1 "VW brand experience - good or bad?" Feb 16, 2004 1:46am

A post in another forum you might like.........

M
  • w210w210 Member Posts: 188
    For the high end performance luxury sedan category, Lexus is not in the league.

I looked into the RS6, M5, E55, XJR and picked the E55 for performance and resale value.

Will be interesting to see how the new M5 will do. Have you guys seen the new GS? I was rather disappointed. Too bad Lexus is not in the game for some healthy competition.
    What did you think of the RS6? I can't tell you how much I like the ultimate version of one of my all-time favorite sedans...the A6.

BTW, the new A6 debuts today!

M
    The Lexus LS430 does not even is not even in the same class as the cars you mentioned. Those are [emphasis on] performance luxury vehicles. The LS430 is a Luxury vehicle that competes with the S-Class, 7 Series, XJ8, and the A8.

Now the GS - see my post below and you'll see that is the one that competes with the vehicles you were talking about.
    The GS does compete with the regular versions of the E, 5, A6 etc, but there is no Lexus to compete with the M5, E55, RS6 or XJR. I think that is what he was saying.

M
    Well, it's finally official, I purchased my LS430 Ultra Luxury, Moonlight Pearl/Ecru on Saturday!

But I'm not driving it yet, it's supposed to be in the states on 2/28 and at my dealer on 3/4. I had to turn in my Cadillac STS (I leased it) by Sunday (GM was totally terrible about my turn in - when they found out I wasn't getting a new GM car, they were going to charge me $24/day past the 15th!!!!!)

I went ahead and did all of the paperwork for the new Lex and they put me an '04 GS300. Now granted, I'm not a "Performance Luxury" kind of guy - I like my Luxury pure and simple. The GS is a great driving car, I'm just glad I don't have to live with it long term. It is solid as a rock and even a bit fun :-O ! Why, oh why, though would you only get steering wheel stereo controls on the 430 and not the 300????? Come on, Lexus, they came standard on my $45k Tahoe LT and you can't get them - for any price - on the GS300 at $42k??????

Oh well, like I said, it is a courtesy car and I don't have to live with it for long.
  • 92735i92735i Member Posts: 25
    I have been in the market for a new car and have driven many fine automobiles.

Audi A6 V8
    Audi A8L
    MB S500
    MB S55
    BMW 740i Sport Package 2001
    BMW 745i
    LS 430
    Q45

I was completely disappointed with the ride quality of the Q45, and yes, MB S500.

The Audi A6 with V8 engine handled like a porsche, too rough for Chicago roads.

A8L nice cabin, yawn.
    Lexus, yawn.
    S55, same as S500 but with more power. Road noise in a $100k car? fugedaboudit.

The 2001 740i with Sport Package handled very close to the Audi A6, I drove it right after. I was amazed at the performance and handling of such a large car.

As a result, my anticipation for the 745i test drive was peaked. There is no question the 745i is superior. Smooth while in city traffic, great acceleration, unbelievable handling, not bad on gas either.

Mine has arrived in S. Carolina, waiting to arrive at dealer.

I notice all the posts on the Lexus, it seems to me that there is a good amount of rationalization for buying down to the LS.

People buy cars for different reasons, no one reason or rationale is superior to the other. To compare cars that are designed for completely different markets, ie LS430 and BMW 7, accomplishes little.

I went out searching for the best driving experience, period. Value was a second consideration. I drove cars $30k-$40k more, and less than the BMW 7. The 7 was the last car I drove.

For the total driving experience, as I like to experience it, it is far superior than any Japanese or comparable German car.
    First, people who buy and love the LS430 need not "rationalize" anything. They are going with what they, the Auto Media, the Consumer Media, and the main stream Media consider to be the "Best Luxury Vehicle made".

Second, why is choosing a vehicle that happens to be the least expensive "Buying Down"???

Using that sort of thinking (which I am loathe to do), a BMW 745i buyer would be "Buying Down" also as it's price is $700 under the MSRP of $70,079 for my LS430.

And someone who goes in to Starbucks to get their favorite coffee are "Buying Down" by getting their choice of brewed coffee instead of the espresso based coffees? After all, he's getting something that costs three times less than the "Latte".

It's snobbish and condescending remarks like that, 92735i, that further prove the mind-set of "European Mark Only" folks, and in particular, "BMW Only" folks.

It also proves my ongoing point that "European Mark Only" folks are FOR THE MOST PART interested mainly in having a vehicle for show factor.

I'm sure mine is the first post of many you'll get in response to that obnoxious statement.
    Please let the record note that neither me nor Mercedes-Benz had anything to with this....lol.

M
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I think you're being a little too sensitive.

92735i said... "People buy cars for different reasons, no one reason or rationale is superior to the other." I think he's acknowledging people's prerogatives here.

His &#147;buying down&#148; comment obviously refers to the difference in base price of 745 vs LS430. It is 14 grand after all.

It&#146;s clear he wants the great BMW ride. You want other things. No big deal as far as I can see.
    So noted Merc1 and, although we may not see eye-to-eye on a few things, "snobbish" or "condescending" never enter my mind regarding you.

Designman, yes, I saw what he said about different reasons, etc. The simple fact is that was a very condescending comment. If he really wanted to point out the price difference between the base versions of the vehicles, there would be no need to speak about "rationalizations". Who would need to "rationalize" buying something they like that happens to costs "$14,000 less" than something they don't like?

There is no defense for that remark - Snobbery and condescention about vehicles is totally wrong, especially when you say later that "no one reason or rationale is superior...". There is no such thing as "Buying down" if you do not "LOOK down" on people who do not spend as much as other people do on material items. Frankly, I was mostly disgusted at the unveiled comment.

The true [BMW] colors shown through loud and clear.
    A 745 lease on a car that stickers around $77k is $75 cheaper per month than a $70K Lexus LS430 ultra lease where I live and it's $350 cheaper than an S500. So forget the buying down nonsense around here. They can't give away the 7-series. The LS and S sell very well and the A8 is non-existant.

merc1 - Did that GX have the nav and ML package?

Mfullmer - on this one I am in total agreement with you. Justification of purpose maybe? Who cares, anyway. I wouldn't take the 7series if it was $250 cheaper than an LS. Actually I wouldn't take it at any price. It's not what I want and it's not dependable.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Sorry, I don't see the condescension. I see a guy who drove a bunch of cars, likes the BMW, and believes it is better because it rides better regardless of the problems. There ARE people out there who are willing to put up with a lot to have that ride. Also, it's a breath of fresh air to hear somebody talk about something other than MB and Lexus around here. Personally, I do like the Lexus, but I also like hearing what others like about THEIR cars. There's been nothing from 7-series owners in this thread. Welcome it.

BTW, congrats on your new Lexus!
    I also like to hear from all people who have "High End Luxury Marques". My only problem was the "Buying Down" remark as it is solely an elitist remark and, unfortunately discounted everything else he said. Not all people are as sensitive to that as I am, I understand.

I personally would like to see more posts from people about:

Audi
    Infiniti
    Maybach
    Rolls-Royce
    Bentley
    Aston Martin
    Jaguar (although there have been a few)
    Acura
    Cadillac
    Lincoln

Where is everyone?
  • 92735i92735i Member Posts: 25
    Geez....talk about being sensitive and defensive.

Those of you who take exception to my post are focused on the "buying down" phraseology, rather than the whole message.

It appears we have some ruffled feathers eh? What does this reaction indicate? You know what they say about truth!

I think it is you guys that are snobs, elitists, and...what was the other word?...condenscending?
    By your reaction.

Reread your posts in reaction to my post. Then reread my original post. Your emotional responses contribute nothing to this discussion.

You have the right to purchase your best car based on YOUR criteria. It is you, based on your responses, that criticize the 7, criticize BMW, and, criticize me.

Who are the snobs here?

I dont care what car people buy, apparently you do.

I just hope that one day, we meet at a stop light, and you're in a hurry. We'll see the impact of....yes...buying DOWN!!!!
    I don't really care about it at all. I thought your post was a good one but what did you mean by buying down and what was the point of using that term. If you applied that term to the housing market it would mean a lesser home or a lesser or equal home in a less desirable area. Good post overall - bad choice of words. That's how it reads to me. Plus I'm not kidding about the lease prices - the loaded LS is more per month than the 7-series here even though it has a 10% lower MSRP. So the buydown doesn't work and is inaccurate for me anyway.
    I sure hope you haven't "bought down" on you insurance when you wrap that pretty little BMW around a pole because of your sophomoric need to show off.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey folks, let's not get personal -- we need to stick to the cars and not insult one another.

Thanks.
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    "I just hope that one day, we meet at a stop light, and you're in a hurry. We'll see the impact of....yes...buying DOWN!!!!"

If your implying the 745i will blow away the 04' LS with the new 6spd at a stop light I think you'll be mistaken.
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hello All,
      My my...How things change in this forum..I must admit I can see Mfuller's point. I don't see how choosing a 745i over a LS430 is "Buying down" As far as I'm concerned, when someone makes comments about my Lexus cars I challenge them to find a better experience. I proudly point to my 1992 LS400 which had $3 (That's right THREE dollars) in non scheduled maintenance issues over 11 yrs. Still can hear a pindrop with the engine running.

I've complained before that these cars are overdoing it on the horsepower. The 250 HP on my 92 LS is more than enough. The 290 HP on my LS430 is tempting me to engage in some foolishness. Where exactly are we going to use it? I don't think it's worth the ticket from the good old State Police. What is it with the questions about Lexus buyers? I'll state the reasons why I've bought 3 and will continue to do so:

1) Quality, Quality, Quality. Nice to have a pretty car, but what's the point if it spends time in the shop. Time is money. Never been stranded my any of the LS cars, Ever.

2) Service: You sneeze in a Lexus dealer and they'll wipe your nose for you. Okay a little exaggerated...But they've handled the insurance company wonderfully on my 1992 LS. All OEM parts, and brought the loaner car to my house and let me have it for 11 days, and for the repeated visits afterward.

3) Price. After paying $67K in 9/02 I was starting to wonder whether this car was the value it once was. I paid $43K in 9/92 for my LS. But if you look at the competition, I can see why they're a winner. I drove the S-Class, BMW, and Jaguar. They're all nice cars, but I couldn't justify the price premium in my mind. We're all reasonably well off here, but I'm sure we know the value of a dollar.

4)Resale:
      Never had an issue trying to sell one. In a fit of rage, I put my 92 for sale a few weeks ago. I had 4 calls immediately. They were even willing to pay full purchase price. The Lexus mechanic told me I was crazy to sell such a nice car, and I recovered my senses and held on to it.

I realize paying more money is supposed to imply prestige or god knows what. Keep in mind paying a premium doesn't always imply better quality or what not. A $10 Casio Quartz watch will likely be more reliable than a traditional geared Rolex. (No joke, I assure you. Rolex even charges you an extra $1,000 for "Advanced Quartz technology") Why the price disparity? Simple, we all put a premium on fashion, uniqueness, prestige..You are all entitled to do what you want with your money, but don't criticize the informed Lexus buyer who puts a premium on piece of mind rather than Autobahn rated performance.

BTW, Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer are proud owners of LS430's. I don't think they're "Buying down"

SV
    per your link - If I only had one Lexus vehicle I'd only be in the shop 2 times a year (maybe 3 times in year one because they do a quick 1k mile check). I go 8-10k miles between visits. But Lexus is very much like MB in that you will tend to buy your second car as a Lexus as well. Thus your service visits double. The service they give you is phenomenal (at least in all my experience) so you remember it very well. One time when they screwed up on a loaner car for my wife they actually drove her home in a stretch limo and then picked her up. They also told to have the driver take her wherever she wanted to go. That is not service you forget. I've never had a car in for anything but maintenance in 9 years. But with 3 vehicles I am in there about 5x a year.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    The 745i is an inferior car than an LS430 for more money. The quintessential definition of "BUYING" "DOWN".

=)
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    ...but, by what measure is the 745i an inferior car?

If you mean which one will most likely cost the least in money and aggrivation, you're right, it's probably the Lexus. However, if you're standard unit of measure is which one is more capable at speed, or which one can get around a closed circut the fastest, then the Lexus ain't got nuthin' on the 745i.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The GX470...yes it was loaded, had everything on it.

Yes...I'm also aware of Lexus' service practices.

sv7887,

That's what I'm talking about, running under that assumption that nobody else has ever had a good experience with anything other than a Lexus. It's getting tired and a little ridiculous.

On the LS board there are posts about problems, just like any other cars. YES, they are less frequent than other brands, but they are there.

Now tell me on an 11 year old car, are you counting all the things that any car will need to have done in that time frame, as "maintenance" instead of repairs. Your post reads like a Lexus will never, ever have anything to wear out and eventually need "attention". Its funny how on other boards people with Lexus' of that vintage have to have anywhere from $2500-3500 worth of work done on their cars for various things.

M
  • lexus0622lexus0622 Member Posts: 27
    Folks, let's move on. Unless, of course, we don't have anything else to offer? If that's the case, then I suggest we take a break for a while and post when we have something more substantive to contribute.

Any one know when Bentley will release the new color offerings for the '05 GTs expected late this year?
    I can't help with the Bentley question, but I can suggest a new direction.

There was a new Audi A6 shown today. You can see it at Germancarfans dot com and the carconnection dot com. I'm not nearly as impressed with it as I was the A8 upon it's introduction.

I still didn't get much from anyone here on th Maserati Quattroporte??

Comments on either?

M
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    The Maserati is and will remain an exotic, just like the Bentley. All the brands mentioned in this thread are larger volume mainstream ones.

Some would claim that the definition of true luxury is utter scarcity: a Rolex is a mass watch -though perceived as a precious luxury good by a wide section of the population-, a Parmigiani or Vacheron Constantine or Audemars Piguet a different matter.

To a certain degree, it entertains me to see how much passion some have riding on what at the end of the day are all quite utilitarian sedan drives. I thought only sportscar fans felt that pasisonate about their cars. Then again, I notice a lot of passion in here is about brands rather than cars, which seems somewhat odd, but at the end of the day just a manifestation of the the-brands-I-advertise-are-part-of-my-individual-identity-and-exp- ression mentality in modern life which some Calvin&Hobbes cartoon so brilliantly mocks.

I like the Maserati a lot it has some of the less utilitarian appeal the old Jag XJ model used to have, sacrificing some function for emotion. Perhaps it's just the fact it's the utter oddball brand in the US these days. With the Bentley, actually much prefer the old Continental to the new one. The new one is a great car, no doubt, but the old one is a true classic with enormous character and an immense presence the new car lacks (but might develop in 30 years or so if they corageously stick to the same model :).