Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• kappamankappaman Member Posts: 47
    Jaguar XJ series should be redesigned in 2002. They run on a 7 year cycle for sedans. Although the XJS ran 21 years before they replaced it with the XK8 coupe. I'm waiting to see what the new 7 series BMW will look like also. Don't much like the new S-class(though it is growing on me) or the new LS430(look to much like the old S-class)
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Considering your posts of the last few months, I truly expect you to be sitting in the newly designed Jaguar, first vehicle on these shores. Let's see, silver with black interior, waxed to the max, shiny wheels...come to think of it, you look good in it already :-)
  • ferarri11ferarri11 Member Posts: 91
    i heard the new XJs will be built off the S type platform stretched and strengthened.
  • dphamdpham Member Posts: 3
    For those who just purchased a BMW 740i Sport, could you share what price you paid? I'm interested in getting one. Is 1000-1500 over invoice a good deal?

Thanks
  • scongroscongro Member Posts: 80
    Yes, when the new Jag XJ comes around, it will share underpinnings with the S-Type 4.0, but with a longer wheelbase.
  • 2jags22jags2 Member Posts: 4
    gentelmen,

aren't we getting really philosophical about life here? not that i disagree or agree with either one of you(we are all entitled to our opinions--that's what makes the world go around) , it seems that this is not the right stage to discuss ways of life ,but to discuss HIGH END LUXURY CARS.
    as far as an audi is concerned---ouch--see my past post ,it is simply the worst sedans we have owned.no car ,no matter how much you'd spend on it, will not be trouble free. the question is --how can you stomach with repeated trips to the dealer, and its attitude towards your complanits.
  • gstutzgstutz Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone in this forum know how to fix a cellphone that keeps coming on and off. I have never had the phone activated and this problem just started about 3 weeks ago. This is driving me nuts!! It only occurs when the car is turned off. I have tried pulling the fuse..no good because the cellphone and the radio share a fuse. I have read the cellphone manual for assistance and either I am blind or there is no help to be found there. Maybe you know of a forum that specializes in technical assistance? Thanks in advance for some assistance.
    I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Have you noticed that all of the recent Mercedes-Benz models all have the same taillights, and very similar headlights. Personally, I like to see cars share things across the board, but this IMO is a little excessive.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well really on the new C and S share their look exactly. However all Mercedes cars have had the ribbed taillamps for years. The CL is the preview of the next SL, which will look exactly like the CL in the front. The E and CLK are pretty much on their own right now. However they all carry the taillights, grille, and C-pillar shape, its the Mercedes way.

M
    Don't like the styling on the new S-class or LS430. Scared to buy another BMW because of the numerous problems I had with my 740il. My Jaguar Vanden Plas needs to be redesigned because its becoming a little dated. I'm also afraid that Ford is going to cheapen the Big Cat. A8 needs some exciting styling to get me to pay 60-70k for an Audi. Not much interested in the RL, Q45, or Cadillac. Whats a luxury car enthusiast to do?

Marsha7,
    I think am going to wait for the second year or so on the new XJ series Jaguar. Just to see how it rates and if I like the new styling. I sure do want to see the new design though.

2jags2,
    Your right. The little debate ferarri11 and I had turned out not to be much about cars at all.

merc1,
    Put that deposit down on that C-class yet? The dealers in Tampa say that they're do in this month.
    No not yet. If I do it now the car will come in late Oct, early Nov and I really don't like bringing a new car home in a Chicago winter. Right after the Chicago Auto Show is usually when I do the buying. I've must say that I still can't shake the A6 4.2 or the 530i off the list yet. I'll have to drive them all extensively and decide.

M
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    As long as they don't ruin the car, I will bet a quarter that you will own the Jag.
  • is4b2rdis4b2rd Member Posts: 66
    The milege does seem rather high. I'd have the car checked by someone to make sure that all is well. Ask if they have an extended warranty program. Mercedes offers Starmark warranties on their used cars.

I have a 98 740i. The car is fantastic, and it is such a pleasure to drive. The only regret that I have with the car is that I didn't get the iL.

Regarding the comment about the car running $2,000-$3,000 per year. I hardly believe that. Unless he is also talking about insurance and gasoline. My car has 40k on it, and the only things I've had done are oil changes and tire rotations.
    My 2 cents. All car salesmen say that high mileage cars are highway driven cars. I put 25 to 30 thousand miles a year on a car, and it ain't all highway miles, thats for sure. The reason you can buy it so cheap is because they depreciate rapidly. My 95 740il depreciated over 10k in one year, from 98-99. Don't get me wrong, it is to me the best overall sedan you can buy, if you don't get a bad one like I did(electrical nightmare). If you are going to pay it off and GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY, its and excellent buy. Believe me you will love the car. BMW is the ultimate driving machine for real. Hopefully this helps you see both sides. And if you are going to get it from a Mercedes dealer, the Starmark warranty can't rival other dealers warranties. Starmark only gives you an extra year(5yrs) and up to 100k miles. After the 5th year you can pay for more warranty. Jaguar Select is 6yr up to 100k miles from original sale date. Most certified warranties give you 3yr up 100k miles from when you buy the used car, in the luxury lines. Ones again, hopefully this helps.
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    I want to say to the people who are looking at the mercedes s430-500 the beamer 740-750 and the lexus ls400 that one of these cars, the lexus dose not even compete. If you want a big camry with heated seats go with the lexus, if you want to look like a 75 year old millionare go with the benz, you will still look like a millionaire but at lest you look young in the beamer. I am leasing a 750il and i couldnt have made a better choice.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Nice profile. Lots of people with high-paying jobs talk like that (unless you are trust fund trash - then I might believe it).
    Here we go...

Camry 3.0L V6, FWD, 4-Speed Auto
    LS 400 4.0L V8, RWD, 5-Speed Auto

How does anyone tell them apart?

Just because the LS 400 costs less than the 7-Series and the S-Class, does that mean that they don't compete with each other. If that is the case, then the 5-Series and E-Class don't compete whatsoever. How silly of me to think that they would compete.

Yes the current LS 400 does lack some of the gizmos that the BMW 750iL has, like a rear sunshade. However, because of this, does that mean that the LS 400 doesn't compete in the same market?

I could go on rebutting your arguement, but you have none. Your entire post is babbling BS, and says I don't care about the car; I just want to look good in my 92,000 car. How about you actually say something worthwhile, then we can talk. OK?
    Since you can't seem to come up with an arguement for the 750iL, which is in your garage, here's one for the LS 400. I didn't even write this, but I am using it because it shows that the people in this room aren't the only ones who agree with me.

This is from the edmunds.com super luxury test, which included the 750iL (your car), the S 500, the LS 400, the A8, and the XJ8 L:

"This car is good. Almost scary good, when you consider the price. Its level of refinement is very high. And for the primary luxury car functions -- quiet and smooth ride, comfortable accommodations -- the Lexus is one of the best cars here."

No competiton for the 750iL and the S-Class.
  • is4b2rdis4b2rd Member Posts: 66
    Isn't it amazing how easy it is to ascertain if someone is either immature or simply a poseur. I don't know which CoolMatt44 is, but I do hope that this breed of posters doesn't start ruining these bulletin boards for those of us who genuinely enjoy exchanging information on automobiles.

Cheers..
  • prochoiceprochoice Member Posts: 1
    Very simple concept here. Japanese stealing from German and American stealing from Japanese. I don't care how good the Lexus or Cadillac look, After 5 years later, they look like a piece of [non-permissible content removed]. I got 93 Toyota Camry V6 that I just traded for 89 MBZ 190e 2.6. I am sick of Toyota, in fact, this 89 MBZ look better than 93 Toyota.
    Why are you guys being so cruel to coolmatt44? He is the proud owner of a BMW 750il. A car inwhich I honestly believe all of us would like to own. As a previous owner of a 740il, I could argue for or against the 7 series. All feature taken into account, the 7 series just may be the best all around luxury car under $100k.

The LS400 is one of the worlds finest automobiles. Its refined, reliable, and priced well compared to its competition(S,7,XJ,and A8)

Every luxury car have fans. Owners and non owners. Thats cool. Love what you love, but you don't have to insult the guy because you disagree with him. By the way the Edmunds comparison did place the 750il into first place against the others.

Coolmatt44,
    Lexus lovers will attack you about their cars. They know that a Lexus is a Toyota dressed up(Camry=ES300, Avalon=GS300, Land Cruiser=LX470, Solora=SC300). They know that Lexus copies the Germans blatantly(S-class=LS). They also know that a Lexus is one of the finest automobiles, if not the finest made. Sure, Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar have heritage, prestige, and style above that of the Lexus. You still essentially can't go wrong buying a Lexus when compared to the others. Its all about choice. Enjoy that 750il.
    "Camry=ES300, Avalon=GS300, Land Cruiser=LX470,
    Solora=SC300"

Please tell me you are kidding.

Yes, the Camry and ES 300, and the Land Cruiser and LX 470 share underpinnings with each other.

The Avalon and Solara are both built off of the Camry platform (3.0L V6, FWD).

The GS is sold in Japan as the Aristo, and the SC is sold as the Soarer.

I may have just been reading too much into your post, though.
    Though I am a Benz man, I still know that the SC300 is not related to Solara. They are very different underneath.

M
    kappaman-
    i think you must have a model similarity off. the SC300 is built more off a shortened LS400 platform i think. dont quote me on it if i'm wrong. not the solara. no similarities there. RWD vs FWD, I6 vs V6 or I4, luxury vs efficiency. the new 300 may be built off the GS though. what kind of electrical problems did you encounter?
    what car are you on now?

coolmatt44- i really dont think big bimmer owners
    are any younger than benz owners. no car can make you look any younger, despite a mid life crisis. are you sure you have a 750il and not a gremlin? i know they are so similar, you know, 4 wheels, doors (one has more), windows, headlights, steering wheels.
    No official releases yet, but rumor has that the SC 300 replacement will be based off of the IS platform, as the SC 430 is based roughly on the GS platform
  • mike2567mike2567 Member Posts: 15
    coolmatt44 has found out, to his chagrin, that Lexus lovers are very emotional about their brand loyalty. If you say to a Lexus driver, Lexus copies Mercedes, and I just slept with your wife, the Lexus driver will say, Lexus does NOT copy Mercedes!!!!
    The current SC300/SC400 is built off of the old Supra platform. The SC coupes stand alone in the U.S. Toyota/Lexus lineup as far as platforms go.

M
  • enigmaoneenigmaone Member Posts: 128
    mike2567,

Just like you are emotional about what your brand loyalty(ies)!
    Is a poser. Look at his profile. If he owns a 750il, I'll take delivery of my 360 Modena next week.
    What color 360?

(ha, ha, ha)
    I'll take Fly Yellow, please.
    scongro,
    Toyota dealer told me that the new Avalon was based on the GS. Solara looks too like my SC300 did. Maybe it isn't the same underneath. Anyway, those were just examples.
    The main reason for my post was to say, "People, it ain't that serious". Lets agree to disagree with out and out insulting each other.

ferarri11,
    I'm still on the Jaguars for now. I've about gotten the car thing out of my system. Had most of them already. I'll probably buy the next ES300 to keep a reliable car around and spurge on something else(newer Jag). As far as my electrical problems with the 740il: a/c and radio replaced, light bulbs replaced almost monthly, and one highlight replaced. If it wasn't for that I would probably still own it. It was the best all around car I have ever had, and the most fun (I really enjoyed the SC300 also). Oh, depreciation is horrible also. I'm an excellent negotiator, but I luck out getting out of that one.
    The Avalon shares a platform with the Lexus ES300, Toyota Camry, Toyota Solara, Toyota Sienna. The GS-series has a totally different platform, due to RWD.

How does the Solara look like a SC300? They look nothing alike.
    When I first saw the Solara it made me think of my SC300. Inside and out they look familiar. Whether is share a platform with it or not isn't that important to me. To me they look alike. A difference in opinion.
    If your salesman told you that, he is moran, and desparately trying to sell you an Avalon. (I don't know-my guess)
    He isn't my salesman. I was just on the Toyota lot looking at the Land Cruiser and mention the LX470. They are priced too closely for me to buy the Land Cruiser(58k vs. 60k). I mention that they are the same inside and out, but that for the extra couple of thousand I would whether have the Lexus nameplate. He then mention the Avalon and and GS comparison. To think of it, I believe that he was talking about the interior moreso.
    interior? the avalon looks like what would happen if you crossed a buick with a camry. the GS is odd inside esp with the pods for the gauges. i dont think any are looks quite like the GS, it looks otherworldly and alien. at least it isnt a traditional MB direct copy.
    What similarities does the Solara interior have to the SC300 interior? Every single square inch of both cars is totally different. The Solara does share the same climate control unit as the ES300.

Same with the LExus GS300 and Avalon. Both cars carry no similar interior styling elements or switchgear. Shifter is totally different, steering wheel is different, gauges are different, window switches are different.
  • muvseatmuvseat Member Posts: 3
    Went to BMW dealer yesterday.Despite Edmund's saying there are no rebates on BMW the Dealer has 2500 toward a new 740il. I have the 740i with lease end Nov. 12 2000. They "checked" their used car dept. and appraised my car at 37K, the BMW on the phone buyout was 41k so a 4k difference. They would apply the 2500 to the difference and if I made a deal now to end the lease early, save myself two months payments of 1800 the dealer would lease the new 740il with sport package and convenience package for about the same as I pay now. However this entails a 6500 down payment.
    This is all very confusing because I do not know the actual cost of the car. Sticker is 71,485.
    Salesman thinks its good of course because the sport package and conventience package plus the elongated wheelbase is about 8500 more than what I have now and I would be paying 6500 for this. Good reasoning. I guess all prices are list and nothing do to with invoice. What do you think of the deal? Should I just wait out my lease and see what is availble in November. They are interested in moving cars, my car also because it has only 22500 miles. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
    By the way the 1500 difference from the 4K diff. would probably be acceptable to the dealer.
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    Is your current car a 97 or 98?
    Muvseat,
    If I understand your dealer's proposal correctly, he wants you to buy out your lease for $4k, and claims he is offsetting the buyout by a $2.5k "incentive". When the dust settles you will be driving a 740il w/sport pkg., etc., in place of your '98 740i with 22k miles. And you will do this for an upfront payment of $6500. Since you didn't mention what the new payment is on the 740il I can't comment with certainty on the attractiveness of the deal, but it's hard to justify (for most) lease buyouts. No matter how the dealer packages the deal the cost of the buyout is being passed to you.
    This is probably the last thing you want to do, but with your low milage on the '98 you may want to consider the residual buyout of the car when the lease expires in Nov. Depending on what that figure is, you very well could make money on it by immediately selling it yourself. In any case, if you can wait till the lease expires you'll have more options. (Buy the 98 and sell it; buy the 98 and keep it; or turn in the 98 and buy or lease something else.) Remember the $2500 "incentive" the dealer said you were getting? Well, you can expect one in Nov. also - as a cap cost reduction on a new lease, or a discount on a buy. The salesman's validation of your $6500 down by pointing out that the 740il was $8500 more than a 740i was a smooth try, but when you lease you should only be paying for part of the cost anyway. You could put it to your salesman this way: "So, you want me to amortize $6500 of the $8500 in a two(or three) year lease?"
    On another point, if your 98 is as nice as one with 22k miles should be, then they aren't doing you any favors with the 37k appraisal...DB
    Thanks for the comments. The base lease payment is calculated to be 1088.00 plus tax.The cap cost reduction of 6500 is the advertised one and obviously could be any number to change the lease payment. The salesman was just pointing out the increased cost of the new car over my old car and that the down payment which we would have given anyway if I came off the street is less than the msrp of the new options. When you plug in the numbers in a leasing program with the msrp of 71,485 for 24 months and 10k miles per year the lease payment is substanially more I believe.
    What do you think now, I have three days to cancel my contract with BMW although I have not put any money down. The dealer is holding the car for me until Sat. Thanks again.
    OK. $6500 plus ($1088 + tax)/ month. (2 year lease). Is the buyout additional? I read your 1st post to mean that the dealer was offsetting the $4k buyout gap with a $2,500 incentive, leaving $1,500 for you to cover. Or, is the buyout eliminated by including it in the $6,500 down?
    If the 740il (2000 model ?) is essentially costing you what is advertised, then you would seem to be in the ballpark, but I wouldn't pay extra to escape the current lease. I'm leaving now for a vacation and won't be checking for another week, so leave a post and let us know how it went.
    You might also want to crunch the numbers on a buy instead of a lease. I don't have time to do it now, but that lease payment looks vulnerable. I understand you may wish to lease for reasons other than cost, of course. Good luck...DB
  • maumau5maumau5 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking into purchasing a luxury sedan, preferably the Mercedes-Benz S600. The dealer tells me that the wait time is 1 to 1-1/2 years if I order one (I want black/black with the cruise control option that continuously maintains a set distance from the car in front of you). In the meantime, I'm considering the BMW 750iL and Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas SC. I've heard that both automobiles are going to be drastically changed for their 2002 models.
    I need a very roomy sedan and the Lexus, Infiniti, etc do not interest me. Maybe I should get a MB S500 for now until the S600 I want arrives. I don't like spending top dollar for an automobile that will be "outdated" in a year.
    Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I had no idea purchasing a luxury sedan would be so frustrating.
  • plstiksplstiks Member Posts: 1
    For all you people who want to believe your Lexus's or Infinities or even Bmw's for that matter are as good as A Mer. Benz S Class you guys are Dreaming. I have one statement of advise for all of you.

" YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"
  • mike2567mike2567 Member Posts: 15
    To Maumau--

I don't know about your dealer, but the one near me, if they say wait 1 year, it probably means 2. So get the S500, it's a fine car. If you have extra money handy, get the Designo espresso and load up on options. This S model is going to last a long, long time.
  • maumau5maumau5 Member Posts: 2
    To mike2567:

Yes...I agree with you about how long I will have to wait for the S600. I ordered a BMW X5 in March and I am finally receiving it this week. What was supposed to be a 2-3 month wait turned out to be six long months. Too many options, maybe. I don't know.

I'm leaning towards the S500 because I think it is a very fine automobile, as you state. Load up on options? YOU BET! The BMW 750iL just doesn't appeal to me. Overpriced. I'm not a fan of BMW's in general, but I must admit that I like the X5. I had a Jaguar a few years back and really enjoyed the long drives I had to take from San Francisco to LA and back. It's a wonderful touring car.

I'll test drive the S500 this week. Right now my gut says to get the S500. And I'll look into the Designo Espresso. Thanks!
  • mamikamamika Member Posts: 3
    Yes, thats the 2001 Lexus LS430. The October issue of Motor Trend has a comparison test of a pre-production LS430 against a BMW 740il sport, Mercedes S500 Sport, Audi A8L, Cadillac DTS.