Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    broken link, designman.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    It's driving me nuts. There's this shot I'm trying to get up and it's not cooperating. Will get to the bottom of it later.
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    It's selling better (for one reason) because it's an improved car. Despite all the styling criticism parroted by many of the self-appointed experts in the media, many of us like the styling. It has a muscular look, especially from the side, that all the other competitors lack. I'm not crazy about the front end, but it's acceptable. I parked my 740 beside one recently, and thought that my car was a plain Jane in comparison. The fear of i-drive is the real reason the 7 has had only limited success.

DB
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    The last time I looked 7 series sales were way down from last year and I found the pricing - at least in leases - quite cheap a few months ago. The YTD sales I saw had indicated the 7 would be 30+% down from 2003 total sales. I don't think it is selling well at all. I think its BMW's tried and true 3 series plus the X3 carrying the weight. Also weren't 5 series sales unusually low from May - August last year?

merc1 - don't like those pix either - but a car that big has to be seen in person. It's not a bad looking car in pix but it just falls short of the car it's replacing.
  • sysadbsysadb Member Posts: 83
    Yes, the 7's sales are down from last year, but we were talking about sales comparisons with the previous model. Those who don't like the styling or the iDrive for the most part haven't realized that the new car has sold much better than the previous model. Obviously the new 7 is not selling in numbers comparable to the LS, but it's not a flop relative to the car it replaced.
    Agree. The old 7 was only a 12-14K a year seller and never sold over 18K. The new one was over 20K in year one. I'm not sure who the new 7 hurt. The LS sales grew and the S and Jag held very well. Maybe the market expanded. I think the A8 - still a real low seller but up a lot from last year - cut into 7 sales this year. The Phaeton seems like a car without a country.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    BMW was a relative newcomer to the large luxury sedan market with the 7 series, so the volume in this conservative market has to be considered a huge success for BMW no matter what - they have managed to expand both upwards and downwards very successfully. And the problem might have been that the previous 7 series was way too conservative, the new one is way too cutting edge - so it's a model that BMW has never quite gotten quite right yet.

As to the Phaeton, I have to yet see one driving around, and it's been a while since launch. That's bad news. The even worse news for VW is that if they were trying to excite the imagination and create brand equity with the Phaeton... since when are big sedans the type of car to ignite the imagination? Do an innovative coupe or some sportscar for that.
    Yeah I've never seen a single Phaeton on the road. I've seen one of the new BMW Rolls, but not a Phaeton. The Toureg must be doing pretty well though because I've seen a few of those, not nearly as many as I see RX330s though.
    In a burgundy color and thought it was a good looking car. The Tourag is also a very well done SUV and I prefer it over the Cayenne in looks. The RX330 is so popular by me that you can't drive around the corner without seeing one. There are far fewer Tourags here vs. RX330's but my impression was that it was a solid hit for VW.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Well you know what I think of the A8 W12's new grille. I think it fits perfectly. Gives the car real presence.

Mercedes and Bruno Sacco are done from everything I've read. He is apparently still "close" (whatever that means) to the company but he isn't running the design studios. Oh well, not even Mercedes, BMW or Audi can make a gorgeous car every time. They used too, but not anymore. The 7, 5, 6 has proven BMW can't and the CLK and Maybach have proven the same with Mercedes. I guess Mercedes felt the need to do a radical change with at least one of their cars since all their recent re-designs were conservative and safe. Despite all the criticism of the 7-Series, like others have just pointed out and like I pointed out a few months back during all that gloom and dooms sales talk here about BMW , the 2002+ 7-Series has sold better than the 1995-2001 model ever did. Hence MB, and even Acura (have you seen the rear of the new TL?) may not see it as a such a big risk in doing something radical.

"By the way - you are hard on Lexus - I think you know that - but I've always found you pretty honest and frank on MB despite your favoritism there."

You know what, the only reason I'm "hard" on Lexus is because some here are just as "hard" on Mercedes and/or BMW. I happen to like the GX470 and I still think the SC430 is an "interesting" car. I've always seen Mercedes for what they are, problems and all. Its the baseless and unfounded hype that invades this board and the news and views boards sometimes that sends the bs meter into the red. Especially the rhetoric about sales that isn't even based on anything and the ever preached gloom and doom/crisis talk based on it. When Mercedes has a model that cools down in sales it is crisis, yet when Lexus has one that hasn't sold well in years we get (not from you) all types of different excuses and it isn't seen as a crisis. You'd think that MB or BMW don't have any bestsellers at all per the tone on this board at times. You know what I mean? All that bad talk about the 7 and that it has done so well reminds me of when you say the car rags don't know what they're talking about...and I'm thinking that they've harped on and on about the 7's styling and idrive since 2002 and the car still has outdone the previous 7-Series. Most (not all) of the people on these boards who complain the loudest about the styling probably wouldn't have bought a 7-Series BMW anyway is my thinking.
    The car mags aren't marketing people so they really don't have a clue as to what will or won't sell ultimately.

BMW sales are up due to the X3 first and then the 6-Series. The 7 is down and the 5 is about even with last year. Now worldwide they outsold Mercedes in May, and they might do it for the year if the 1-Series catches on because Mercedes' A-Class doesn't go on sale until fall. BMW's 3 and 7 have cooled a bit worldwide, which is at least somewhat expected of the 3-Series. The car is its 6th model year.

The Paris autoshow in Sept of this year is going to be a "really big show". Lots of German debuts.

VW doesn't have a bad looking car in their showroom. They all define that conservative, yet handsome look that Audi/VW is so good at projecting. The Touareg is one of the few SUVs that I like, that interior is the best going imo this side of a Range Rover. It along with the GX470, Cayenne and Range Rover would be on my list if I had the money and desire for a luxury SUV. The Phaeton is a smashingly handsome car, but it is a pointless exercise in VW showroom.

VW needs to improve reliability and get the new Jetta, Passat here ASAP. Though both of these cars are still very handsome and look timeless to me they are dated in features, engines etc. compared to the newer Korean and Japanese competition. VW needs small SUV to compete with the RAV4s and Escapes of the world. I want a sports car from them like that R Concept they showed at Frankfurt last year. Phaeton misstep aside VW is here to stay.

Have you and Lexusguy seen the comparo in the Aug issue of C&D? Awesome group of cars!

M
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "Luxury" car sales overall have gone up. Every month BMW, MB, Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti announce a new "record-breaking sales" month.

I feel like half the cars on the road is some sort of "luxury" make. It wasn't like that just ten years ago.

To me, the most interesting maker is Infiniti, trying to do their "Japanese BMW" thing. To be recognized as one of the "Big Boys", you need a successful $60k sedan. We all know that the Q is far from that. Would be interesting to see how the next Q turns out.

Frankly, if Lexus didn't have the LS, people would not think of them as being in the same league with BMW and MB. Instead, people would think of them as a company that sells very reliable, cush riding, rebadge Toyotas with nice interiors (Camry -> ES, Highlander -> RX, 4Runner -> GX, Land Cruiser -> LX).

The IS, GS, and SC do not have Toyota counterparts in the US, but don't really sell well.
    "Frankly, if Lexus didn't have the LS, people would not think of them as being in the same league with BMW and MB. Instead, people would think of them as a company that sells very reliable, cush riding, rebadge Toyotas with nice interiors (Camry -> ES, Highlander -> RX, 4Runner -> GX, Land Cruiser -> LX)."

Interesting point. In other words they'd be another Acura.

As far as sales go I expect Lexus, Mercedes, Audi and Infiniti post the biggest gains over the next 18 months or so due to all the new product they all have coming up. I think BMW will cool down after the 2006 3-Series is introduced. They won't have another all new product for a few more years.

M
    "Every month BMW, MB, Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti announce a new "record-breaking sales" month."

Well... not quite. At least from the information I've seen in the C&D news section, VW sales are down, Audi is luke warm, BMW\Mini are doing well, and M-B is holding. I know Chrysler is up quite a bit thanks to 300, but I didnt hear anything about M-B grabbing any sales records. Lexus always has record months. Acura is way up thanks to the smash hit TL, and Infiniti is way up because they have real product to sell for the first time in their history. What has M-B just introduced that would lead to major sales gains? Most of their cars are due for redesign.

That is an interesting point about Lexus, but you have to remember, the LS came first. It was Lexus intent to compete with the best of Europe, and the LS400 was their first car. ES250 came next. Infiniti isnt quite ready to be a "big boy player" just yet. Hell just a few years a go Nissan\Infiniti was written off as a dead company. Infiniti needs more time to fill out its product line before they introduce a new fullsize sedan. (You cant let your primary sellers grow old while you work on some super flagship with a questionable market -VW) After G, FX, QX, and now M, my guess is that their next car will be the American version of Skyline GT-R (about bloody time!) and the Q possibly after that, maybe for '08. The Q was slightly facelifted for '05, which usually means it gets to soldier on for at least another 2 years or so.
    Lexus is well differentiated from the other Japanese companies in that it has the SC, LX and now the GX as well. Acura has nothing (save the NSX which sells virtually nothing) that rivals any of those 3 on orice, let alone the LS. The next GS will be taken very seriously and Lexus will roll out V12 equivalent HP and a tunning arm shortly. They are worlds apart from Acura and the distance is about to widen significantly more in short oder. Now if the comment were about Infiniti it would have a lot more merit.
    Upon rechecking, it seems that Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti are all on pace for record-setting years.

MB is about even.

BMW is the only one out of the five that is down from last year (-4.6% YTD) so far this year.

Overall, BMW Group sales are up because of the Mini, but Mini is not a BMW, nor a luxury car. VW is not a luxury make. I don't know what's going on with Audi.

----------------------

The LS really does a lot for Lexus's image. No doubt about that.

The Infiniti GTR is rumoured to come in 2007. A bit far away. We'll probably see an M based coupe before that, to go against the 6 and the CLK. Maybe a G convertible as well. I also think they'll come out with an SUV based on the 2005 Pathfinder, to go against the GX. The QX, which is basically a rebadged Armada, has sold pretty well, and luxury SUV's in general are profit mines.

But the next Q is important.

-----------------------

Although Acura sells more than Infiniti, I really think of them a step below. It's hard to consider cars that MAX out at $24k (RSX) and $29k (TSX) as befitting luxury status.

Then you're left with just the TL and MDX, both of which sell in droves. But even these two are rebadged Accord EX-V6's and Pilots.

The current RL and the NSX haven't sold nearly enough to make a mark.

How the 2005 RL does will be interesting to see as well. Even though it doesn't have a V8, Acura really is trying to break into a new market with this car.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    "Frankly, if Lexus didn't have the LS, people would not think of them as being in the same league with BMW and MB. "

You are probably right, but if BMW didn't have a 7-series people would think BMW isn't in the same league as Mercedes either. You remember when BMW had no 7-series up to the mid-80s? They weren't considered in the same class as Mercedes back then.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Maybe BMW needs a 9 series to go after the Maybach and Rolls. The 7 series is just looked upon as another car here in Westchester County. Same goes with the S class and LS. Too many luxury cars sort of lessens their auras.
    We have one man saying BMW sales are up 17% in June (from May to June 04?), another says sales are down 4.6% YTD. Is this BMW brand or total? Another guy says X3 sales are good. The last time I read tables up to and including April, X3 3, 7, Z4 sales were not good. Does anyone know if current comprehensive sales figures are available? Have a link? They used to be published monthly like clockwork on various sources. Seems to me whatever modest increases, hence questionable success they may be experiencing is due to platform expansion and that's it.
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    even the lowly Chevy has an entry there.

guess you're not aware that the "lowly Chevy" engine on Ward's Top 10 is GM's 4.2L I6. You say you didn't bash the 4.2L I6, but read your own words, especially the bolded part.

You are entirely making too many assumptions. "Lowly Chevy" is a reference to the Chevy brand; if you think Chevy is a High End Luxury Marques (the title of this board), please let me know. The fact that even the lowly Chevy has an entry in the Ward's top 10 list, makes no great bragging rights for MB, priced on average some 3-4 times as expensive as Chevy's, to have an entry there.

I wrote: What do gearing and rear axel ratio have anything to do with that? You can make gearing and rear axel ratio choices to optimize for 0-60 (which makes 0-60 a bad measure for true performance), but as a consequence you have to compromise somewhere else due to the lack of power.

You wrote: You seem to have answered your own question. Sometimes the car with faster 0-60 is due to shorter gearing. I don't know the gearing or rear axel ratios of the MB vs. Camry. I was wondering if possibly the Camry had shorter gearing to account for its faster times.

Could you proofread what you type up before posting it? where did I say anything about Camry being faster than MB in 0-60? I said MB E320 is underpowered in its class (and 0-60 is not necessarily a good measurement of power). Once again, I ask, how does any of your argument regarding gearing have anything to do with rebutting my statement that MB E320 is under-powered?? What in the world does gearing have to do with under-poweredness which is a function of engine choice for the vehicle weight. The argument I made was based on power-to-weight ratio, which MB320 has the worst by far in its class.

YOU claimed that BMW underrates its engines. I just showed you ONE example, the 5.0L BMW e39 M5 v8, where BMW is clearly NOT underrating its engines.

I said BMW often underrates its engines. A small volume counterexample at the extreme of its product spectrum hardly rebutts my point. Care to disucss with us about the cars relevent to this discussion; i.e. 530i? or any other mainstream BMW's?

I wrote: So you are more or less agreeing with me that the MB pedigree is about riding large in the backseat; so much for the sportiness claim ;-)

I agree with you on some points (the ones I don't mention in posts), but not on this one. Doesn't the S-class have an AMG version? That is not a chauffered car IMO.

More obfuscation. How long has AMG been part of MB? a couple years? What per centage of S class are AMG anyway?? TRD has been an in-house operation for Toyota for a decade, does that make all Toyotas sporty cars??

Also, is there any point in comparing the Maybach to anything?

What does Camry have to do with Lexus? Maybach is the epitome of MB marketting
    "Maybe BMW needs a 9 series to go after the Maybach and Rolls"

BMW already has a 9 series, its called Rolls Royce :) VW got Bentley, and BMW got Rolls.
    "BMW's automobile sales dipped slightly in June, to 17,710 versus 18,560 in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, sales were down 4.6 percent, to 97,606 automobiles compared to 102,353 in the first half of 2003."

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/07/01/201922.html

Meanwhile,

"Sales of BMW's Sports Activity Vehicles were exceptionally strong, contributing to BMW's record sales. Year- to-date, sales of BMW's SAV models were up 64 percent, to 28,228 vehicles compared to 17,215 for the same period in 2003."

This basically means that BMW sedan/coupe/convertible sales have dropped significantly YTD, compared to 2003. This is partly due to the fact that the 3 is near its model run.

The above figures are for the US only.

*"BMW Group" includes the Mini, which went from 3000 YTD in 2003 to 18,000 YTD in 2004.

------------------

Worldwide, BMW Group (which includes Mini and Rolls Royce) have had record sales YTD, beating out MB as the "number one luxury maker." Of course, including the Mini in to figure the "number one selling luxury manufacturer" is rather silly, but sales of the Smart is included in MB sales as well.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    designman,

Best place to look is on PRnewswire.com website and do a search for BMW. You will find the YTD sales figures for Jun-04 released on July 2, 2004. BMW sales are definately not up 17% this year if you take out Mini sales. The 3-series is down slightly, the 7-series is down drastically, but it doesn't effect overall BMW sales too much because the 7-series sales make up a small slice of their overall sales. The slack in these 2 lines has been taken up by the new X3.
    So in sum (YTD sales change):

BMW (excluding Mini): +5.2%
    BMW (excluding Mini and SUVs): -4.6%
    BMW SUV: +64%

When you think about it, it's not that bad. The X3 probably took some sales away from the 3 series as well.

They made up stale sales of some models with the intro of new models such as the X3 and the 6.

I guess SUVs are the way to go these days. Lexus sells more RX330s than the entire Audi brand combined.
    Thanks guys. Would be interesting to know exactly where the SUV sales are coming from and how much of these are from repeat BMW car buyers, which could help to explain at least some of the decline in their auto sales. However, auto sales look horrible in SPITE of a stellar reliability ranking, new models and redesigned models. BMW has always enjoyed stable sales curves, like no other manufacturer. Funny how they needed the SUV cash cow to maintain them. This indicts iDrive and the new design direction as far as I can see.

ljflx... did you notice I mentioned the Quandts and not just Bangle, giving them top billing?

;-)
    No - but now I did. By the way the sales report of +17% was for June only (not YTD) and was reported on CNN business. I don't even know if it was worldwide or just US. I have not seen it in writing. The data on the cars definitely bears out the poor styling as far as I'm concerned. People may be turning to the SUV's (oops SAV's - how stupid that is) out of desperation.

Did you see the comparo of the STS vs. new 5 in Motor Trend? Again they had a hard time knocking BMW but if you read between the lines they appear to prefer the Cadillac. Better combo of lux and sport. Some of the comments about the 5 styling are comical. As far as I am concerned BMW's need to go on a diet but the new 3 series is about to gain weight and look motly like its siblings.
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    You are a better hairsplitter than I am. Instead of doing more of that, let me just summarize my opinions on your posts.

1. MB is NOT comparable to the Camry/ES330.

2. MB's v6 is a fine engine IMO and the opinion of Ward's 10 Best.

3. Every engine on Ward's 10 Best including MB's v6 and GM's straight 6 is a fine and worthy engine.

4. You seem inherently unable to separate cars from engines, which I believe is the reason for your confused responses to my posts.

5. You are some guy on the net voicing opinions (such as Camry/ES330 is comparable to the MB E320) and making comparos (RL vs. just about anything) that NOBODY agrees with.

6. Ward's 10 Best is a respected publication and provides sound reasons for each of its choices, yet you continually disparage Ward's 10 Best on the sole basis that they picked a "lowly Chevy" engine, which you've never even tried out. Do you even have ANY PROOF that Ward's 10 Best is biased?

7. You claim that BMW underrates its engines once again WITHOUT ANY PROOF. The only proof offered so far has been mine, where I show BMW not underrating its v8 in the e39 M5.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Hmmmm... I guess sales does matter afterall :)

Just came back from a trip and found over 60 posts in only 4 days away. Phew ! So much pics from Merc1 in an attempt to stage-manage this forum to his interests.... Well, here is my response: The CLS is tame in design, the low roofline will give some poor shmuck a headache trying to get in without looking. The rear is just terrible as well. Who are they trying to sell this car to ? A bunch of 30-something ? Don't think it will sell well at all, imo.

BTW, the BMW designs pre-Bangle (3, 5) are, IMO, the best looking cars on the road today. Period. Far more timeless than the wanna-be slick new MB designs post MY1999. Prior MBs are, of course, very spartan, uglified edifices, but very solidly built with high quality materials, and excellent safety gadgets. The electronics work as designed too. Can't say the same for today's MBs. Poor build quality, unreliable electronics, and un-MB-like poor grade on reliability. What's Schrempf smoking these days ?

Did I mention the LS yet ? Nope... No need to. It already trumps/whacks the competition so no need to rub it in

Taking a much deserved 2-week vacation to the Bahamas, by way of Miami, FL. See you all in 2 weeks and I hope you'all be nice to each other.... Especially, you Mr Merc1.

:)
    I don't think that lowered sales of BMW cars (especially 5 and 7 series) is a sign that BMW is suffering.

All manufacturers are losing car sales to SUV sales and BMW is no different in that respect.
    I think the "BMW underrates its engines" is a bit of a common misconception, and has mostly to do with the 325 and 330i. For example, the 330i runs neck and neck in stop light races (roughly 6 seconds) with TL and G35, and yet its got "only" 220hp. An A4 3.0 with the same 220hp needs about 7.5 seconds, as do most other similar cars with around that amount of horsepower. I believe the answer to the BMWs mysterious speed isnt "underrating" the engine, but a combination of engine, a small, reasonably light weight car, and gearing and axel ratios honed to perfection through 25 years of 3 series cars.
    Just so you know, I've criticized the Quandts pretty hard in the BMW forums. At one point I even expressed sympathy for Bangle, speculating among other things that he could have gotten caught up in a design-by-committee situation. I don't think this is the case though. From what I have read, it seems he was given and extraordinary amount of power that was unprecedented in the auto industry. He even had power over engineering. This goes to show you how much importance they placed on styling.

I indict Bangle because of his management of the think tank. If he indeed had the power that reports suggest, then he is ultimately responsible for styling even if he never put pen to paper, hand to mouse. In any design scenario, options must be presented to the ultimate decision makers. The design director can accept , reject or finesse anything he pleases before it even gets presented. When I'm in this situation I make damn sure I am happy with all options, otherwise I run the risk of something inferior being chosen… and I find this hard to stomach.

Yes I read August Motor Trend. I actually thought the comments on styling were innocuous but believe they came down pretty hard on active steering as I have. What also caught my attention was the knock on the 545's automatic transmission. But the thing I really walk away with from this review is that Cadillac seems have come to the table with a very respectable luxury performance sedan in the STS. Don't forget, this is a BMW sport package that it goes up against and I think comments in the review like the following are pretty profound:

"Unless your commute includes 150-mph blasts on the autobahn, the STS's ride/handling balance is better than the BMW's."

Now, sorry but I just have to mention this. Did you happen to catch the roadster comparison in the same issue? I just lo-o-ve when my car comes out on top. The Boxster S beat up pretty good on the Z4, Audi TT and 350Z. How's this for spectacular quotes…

"In the art of driving, not one of the competitors here can touch the Boxster."

And my absolute favorite…

"With a bottomless well of power, planted chassis, fluid steering, tireless brakes—damn, the thing is just brilliant ."

If anyone needs help in validating the premium paid for Porsches, read this comparo, it's all there. Cheap interiors? No problem. How's this for perspective…

"The cabin doesn't seem luxurious for $59K, although you can feel the money in the performance hardware."

Rah rah Porsche. There is no substitute. And what a surprise... it's actually German, not Japanese.

;-)
  • sv7887sv7887 Member Posts: 351
    Hi All,
      Well, the latest JDP Long Term Rankings are out..As some can guess, Lexus leads the pack again with 146 problems per 100 cars. No surprise really is it? However, I was surprised to see Jaguar dip below the industry average..I thought they had improved in recent years. BMW actually faired pretty well, and finished only 3 spots or so behind Lexus..

Buick, of all nameplates finished Second..I did have a 1989 Park Ave and it was quite a reliable car..Mercedes continued to struggle, and finished towards the bottom of the pack. This survey was of Three year old cars, so whatever recent improvements MB has made won't show up in this survey. Hopefully things get better for them.

SV
  • quemfalaquemfala Member Posts: 107
    Does anyone really believe these JDPower rankings? If they were able to dig into the actual repair history of these vehicles, then I might give them some credence. I may be totally incorrect on this, but my understanding is that these rankings are the results of a survey! Does everyone tell the truth?????? How many people do you know, who have spent gobs of money on their "favorite" car, then are too embarassed to 'fess-up to the problems they're having with it.
    They're not the definitive word, but they are pretty useful. They are the results of a survey. But if year after year, certain manufacturers (Lexus, Infiniti) consistently come out on top, then there is some credibility to that.

They're not fessing up to their friends. It's a survey. If they had a problem, no real reason to hide it. It doesn't really matter anyway, as long as there is no bias. In other words, unless there is some reason that Lexus owners are more likely than say MB owners to underreport their problems, the results should not be skewed.
    I agree 100% with all your conclusiosn on BMW underrating its engines.

I think the rumor that BMW underrates its engines actually started with the 323i, which actually had a 2.5L engine. Because the 2.5L engine in the 323 was so close in power to the much more expensive 328, BMW underrated the 323i to make it seem like you were getting a lot for your money when you forked up for the 328.

With the move to the 325 and 330 designations, I don't think there's any underrating anymore.
    Buick traditionally does very well in JDP stats. Whats interesting is how GM is all over the map in that regard. Toyota\Lexus and Honda\Acura do very well. Buick has done well for quite awhile, but Cadillac has improved only more recently, and other GM name plates like Pontiac rank well below industry average. Whats going on with that?
    Saw that story as well. I like the Boxster very much. The only Porsche I don't like is the Cayenne but not for the reasons of the hard core Porsche enthusiasts. I just don't like its looks even though its essentially the same platform as the Tourag.

The interesting thing about the articles with respect to BMW is that they both consistently say the cars are overly-designed, overly complex (with things no one wants let alone needs) and ride harshly. The "look at me" styling they say the 5 has would imply that it is a great looking car (if you didn't read anything else) but its quite obvious from the story that no one thinks that at all. The STS looks quite interesting and to me is the better looking car by far. I think the move to a more luxury ride once you have more handling than you'll likely ever need is the way to go in that segment.
    Does anyone really believe the JD Powers reports? Yes. Every auto manufacturer does and most consumers do. Will anyone identify they made a mistake in buying an expensive car or any car or suv for that matter. Absolutely - because you're not identifying yourself. That's what makes the survey so powerful and believable to auto mfrs. If you had to identify yourself you'd be quite hesitant to put down the vehicle you bought. If the data weren't accurate the mfrs. would bring out the service records of their dealerships to disprove it as well as their own internal surveys of their customers. The data you see is summary level. It is actually sliced and diced beyond zip code level down to block codes on a local level for those who buy the data.
    Hi All,
      I buy into the whole JDP scheme. That was the rationale for buying my first LS in 1992. Lexus had topped the rankings, though MB was a close second..JDP is a very powerful marketing tool.

On further thought I guess I'm not too surprised at Buick's fine showing. The Park Avenues I had were superb cars. I do wonder whether a 10 yr old Buick would do as well as a 10 yr old Lexus. Do they have a longer term survey?

I also find it strange that GM brands vary so much in reliability. With the use of common platforms you'd think they'd all be in the same range.

Does anyone know what's up with Jaguar? They'd been fairing reasonably well in the past few years. Weird..

SV
    JDP has a long term reliability survey which I believe is 5-7 years. Lexus sweeps that one every time.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Ford has helped Jag.

Maybe Ford should buy Mercedes...
    Michael,
      The rankings for Jaguar seem to be inconsistent. Their numbers drop significantly with every new model introduction..Look at the latest JDP survey, they're at the bottom with MB. The latest XJ is a substantial technological improvement over the older car, but lacks the grace its predecessor. I'm not the only one who thinks this..Park the XJ next to the X-type and you'll see the similarity.

Mercedes has had its' issues, but they still set the standard when it comes to innovation. The equipment list on the Lexus frequently borrows from the S Class. I'm sure Merc1 can vouch for this. All this precollision, ABS, Radar Cruise control have all come from the MB pipeline.

I'm not knocking Lexus in anyway, but you've got to give MB the credit where it's due. They've had this keyless system that Lexus is currently touting for several years..Even the trunk opens fully, unlike the Lexus system. Sure they have their reliability issues, but if their designs were so bad, Lexus wouldn't steal them regularly. Now if MB could steal Lexus' production process....

SV
    Borrows is a strong word. I think MB still leads in innovation because they are still the pack leader or if not, they still think of thermselves that way. The moment somebody else starts beating you to the punch you lose your crown. BMW follows MB in the same way with most of these things. It's only when Lexus follows suit that people seem to get rankled though. But following what a leader introduces successfully is everyday business as far as I am concerned. Lexus is putting a lot into the hybrids and may well become class leader via the new engine. Time will tell.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the RX is already the class leader, even without a hybrid engine. The RX in '97 was Toyota's idea, and it invented a new segment. The Germans copied them, and M-B is stuck with its outdated body on frame truck, getting KILLED by RX sales. The new ML will be unibody, again copying Lexus. The RX330 also had adaptive headlights first, and BMW and Audi copied that. Does M-B even offer that feature yet? I dont think that they do.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I pretty much agree with your comments...The Germans in general are innovators and Mercedes is a perfect example when it comes to Automobiles.

The Japanese on the other hand are great at taking an innovation and working with it and making it better..Keyless entry, Radar cruise etc. all apeared in Mercedes years ago....BUT..When they do show up in a Lexus you know they will work almost without fail.

As a customer..."Sure there are reliability issues" just doesn't cut it. It is not the Production Process as much as it is the culture that makes Lexus what it is...
    I think part of the placement differences of different GM brands has to do with Buick's much older customer base. This group isn't going to be concerned about little things that may or may not happen with a car, heck they may not even know unless the car is rendered unoperable. They might not hear that little noise or feel anything abnormal about the car, long as it rides good and is reasonably quiet.

Plus if you look at Buick's lineup, they use the oldest hardware GM has in the majority of their cars. No Buick is not a American-designed GM cars like various Pontiacs, Chevys and Cadillacs. All of Buick's cars are the most home-grown products GM has to offer. The other GM divisions have cars from Daewoo, Suzuki, Toyota, plus some global-platform cars running around under various Chevy, Pontiac and Cadillac badges. This has to count for at the very least some of the reliability differences between the various GM divisions.

When people buy a Mercedes-Benz they expect perfection and only that, thus when a Benz has a problem (however minor or slight) it gets dinged on these surveys.

M
    "Phew ! So much pics from Merc1 in an attempt to stage-manage this forum to his interests..."

So I take it you aren't happy unless I'm disproving your various theories then huh?

M
    "BMW follows MB in the same way with most of these things."

Really? I'm curious to know how so? Lexus is only one that follows, usually feature for feature with Mercedes. BTW, I don't call this copying or borrowing, just business, but to say BMW does it the same way Lexus does is a way off.

I'm also curious to know why you think the new GS is going to do anything more than the previous one did. One paper the new GS is hardly anything to write home about spec wise and looking at...well. The middle-weight class is going to be awfully crowded by next spring and the GS will sharing the spotlight with a new M35/45 from Infiniti (which is the car I see having the biggest market impact) and a new RL, STS, not to mention the two sales leaders the E and 5-Series. The 1998 GS made a splash too and wound up forgotten as the class moved on. Also, the E-Class and 5-Series aren't going to sit still either, they'll be respond to all the competition sometime next summer in the form of freshened 2006 models, especially the E-Class.

M
    Yep, I agree with lexusguy. Lexus really did create a new segment with its car-based SUV (RX300).

As far as electric and mechanical "gizmos" go, MB does seem to be a trend-setter.

Who came up with Navi systems? I'm not sure, but Japanese Navi systems are for the most part superior to Euro Navi systems.

Toyota/Lexus does seem to have a lot on their hybrid technology. It remains to be seen if they're all they're cracked up to be in mainstream cars.
    "The Japanese on the other hand are great at taking an innovation and working with it and making it better..Keyless entry, Radar cruise etc. all apeared in Mercedes years ago....BUT..When they do show up in a Lexus you know they will work almost without fail."

Really? If this was entirely true Lexus would be using a radar-based cruise control system like Mercedes, BMW and Jaguar. A laser based system has been proven not to be as accurate or effective. Please tell me how Lexus made keyless entry better than anyone else when their system works just all the others? Yes, Mercedes introduced Keyless Go in 2001 and it has a few problem at first, but it has long been since cleared up, that was three years ago, and Lexus adopted the feature for 2004. I'm really willing to listen as to how Lexus made this system better since Mercedes has long ago worked the bugs out of their system, like back in the beginning of 2002...so if there is something else Lexus has done beside improve on MB's initial introduction of the system (as far as reliability is concerned) I'd like to hear.

M
    The Japanese were the first to introduce a Nav system in a production car. They were clearly ahead of the Europeans in this area, as most of them were still experimenting with the concept and thus have had to come late to the Nav party with an inferior design.

Some of this has to do with the European dismissing them because they could just go to the same suppliers like Pioneer that Acura goes to and wala they'd have the same type of system.

As far as Hybrids go I'm really curious to see what happens with them. I personally don't see the point of a 400+ hp Lexus when this group detest the mere mention of a hi-po car as being something to aspire to. Secondly to worry about fuel economy with a 400-500hp car is just well to much to me. I'll be the first one to admit Lexus is worth something if the produce a 500hp car than can perform with the best and still get 50 MPG, I personally don't see it happening.

M