Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• audibobaudibob Member Posts: 33
    The G35 is a joke. It's a trend. They did not even put AWD on the car until people started trading out of them up north the first winter. The market got flooded with G's under 10K miles that the price dropped everywhere. Then the sales on the new ones dipped due to used low mile cars being cheap, etc. Nissan panicked, slapped on a crappy AWD, prices started to climb again. Now the market is again getting flooded with used low mile ones. Check the inventory of any CarMax online and you will find several. Check any high end dealer, and even here in the south, you will find several.

The main problem with this car is the handling. It wears quickly, and forget grip in the rain. It does look good, though. It will be an influence on other sport lux cars for a while.
  • zodiac2004zodiac2004 Member Posts: 458
    2: BMW is a solid car. And it actually handles great in a straight line when compared to Merc or Audi. And they even have a windows (YEP) base computer system. (Bet you wondered why all the problems...) P.S. The name cost you an extra $5k - $15k.

Your lack of automotive knowledge and prejudices are manifest in this statement. Do you know the amount of time any driving school spends in teaching students handling in a straight line. NONE. That's because "handling" and "straight line" are mutually exclusive.
    Even the most rabid anti-BMW fanatic wouldn't claim they don't make the best handling cars for the price. I have even heard of M5s that handle better overall than Ferraris and Porsches.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    Car systems use embedded operating systems that are loaded off an EPROM. No way you can fit (nor would you want to) full blown Windows or Linux on there. There's no need for it, anyhow.

I know BMW uses Microsoft CE as an embedded OS for their I-Drive stuff, and it is actually a pretty solid OS (there are a dozen good embedded operating systems out there for this kind of stuff). Used in several military applications that require fail-safe stuff and such.
    Taking my simple explination and expanding it. You are right about the first part.

However, there is no military vehicle that operates with a Microsoft based product.

Also, have you every been in the military???? They, like the rest of the goverment, usally purchase based on price, not quality. Case in point: Easydata is a type of computer made by zenith that is so substandard that it can not compete commercially. Most military shops have these computers because of the price of the product.

Any system that is mission critical and reliablity is a factor does not use Microsoft. Military or NASA.

I however do. It is great for me, price for errors. But not in a $70K plus car.

If you know of a system I don't, please tell me. In detail.
    Embedded OS are not shrink-wrapped products. They are sold as a development environment, meaning the product vendors tweaks the embedded OS for their own system. How reliable it is then entirely depends on how stringent the testing by the vendor is - very little to do with Microsoft. However, CE has a reputation as being extremely robust on several of the many specialized processors it supports.

Plenty of military applications are based on Windows CE and SQL Server. It doesn't mean Microsoft sells the software to the military, it means folks such as General Electric or TRW or whoever develop their embedded systems on top of CE embedded OS, and then sell to the military. You wouldn't see a single Microsoft logo there, just as you won't on the BMW i-Drive screen.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...The old spin myster has spoken....

You said yourself that mercedes, (in the old quality days) would go 12 years without a style change ...As I recall they were boxy, not all that comfortable but loaded with safety features and had a reputation for being bullet proof...Many carried big badges on their grill proclaiming how many hundreds of miles they had been driven....

NOT STYLISH, BUT SAFE, AND DEPENDABLE....Now LS is all of those thing and ultra comfortable, With trememdous sound systems, and also loaded with safety features..AT AN AFORDABLE PRICE.
    Not a bad idea...They could form a new devision and easily take over German health care..They would give the people more health care, Better quality health care and charge less....

One more thing...As another poster has pointed out..Lexus great love of senior citizens would assure that there would no longer be rationing of their health care.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    It would be foolish to use software available to the public for military/National Security operations
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    "You have shown that
    1: You have not driven all the cars you speak about.
    2: You do not understand the effect of the numbers you read about in the magazines you use for information."

Wrong, and wrong. Believe it or not, I've been a car nut since I was a kid. I've had plenty of time behind the wheel of almost all of Audi's cars, including the new A8L, A6, S4 (old and new) and the TT. I've also driven plenty of 3s, 5s, Es, etc. Audi's will lose sport comparisons to BMW, and they will lose luxury comparisons to Mercedes Benz. Once Acura, Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, and Cadillac all offer AWD, that will only put Audi further in last place, as there will be absolutely nothing that makes them unique vs. the competition.

"A 3.0 or a 1.8t with a $500 APR chip will lay waste to an E320 or V6 Lexus."

What a pathetic response. We're talking FROM THE FACTORY cars here. Throw a TT kit on a GS300, and it can reach 600hp, so I dont think you want to play the after market game. Toyota's inline 6 can take more boosting than pretty much any production engine in history.

"How do you communicate with a person that does not want to believe, will not look, and will not consider anything outside their experience?"

I would ask you this question. You know nothing about Lexus cars, and have the typical blind German eye, assuming that your precious Audi is best and is invincible. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The G is a fad huh? Didnt Infiniti sales pass 100,000 this year? Isnt that MORE than Audi? Even though Infiniti only has 3 cars that it can actually SELL, G, FX, and QX, it STILL beat Audi.
    Audibob:

Please stop being Silly...Few of us have access to a track or any faciality in which we can push our cars to their limits...We certainly don't have opportunities to push car's we don't own to their limits....

The truth is in the sales, I you want the ultimate driving maching, you buy BMW, If you want Prestige and styling you buy Mercedes, if you want the ultimate in ride and comfort and luxury you buy Lexus, if you want a very good luxury car at an attractive price you buy Acura or Infinity, If you want American Iron in a luxury car you buy Caddy.....WHY WOULD I WANT TO BUY AN AUDI???? WHY WOULD ANYONE.
    All Lexus LS sedans are build in Japan.....
    Embedded system software is not available to the public unless they buy the product the software is embedded into. Again: Embedded OS are merely a starting point, the entire software system is developed by the vendor. You can't buy the i-Drive software, and even if you could you couldn't do much with it, because it runs directly off a xxROM (read only memory) and only and exclusively runs in the BMW environment. That is what embedded systems are. They have none of -for example- Widows' built-in universality. Very differnet to the nature of a universal OS such as XP or UNIX.

Incidentally, one thing about basic software blocks and OS is that is is ultimately all available to the public. You can get any processor you want, and the drivers for it. That doesn't make the platform unsafe. It's the developrs' job to make it as safe as the target environment requires, and with embedded OS that can be easily achieved. That is exactly why embedded sstems are very popular in military, medical and other mission critical applications - they are intrinsically extremely safe and un-hackable. Can't overwrite a chip's content when it's hardwired.
    LS yes, other Lexus no. All LS built for US are much diffrent (esp quiality,) and can not be sold OR transported to Japan.
    Mercedes probably thought Lexus was a fad in 1989. Assuming that Infiniti is going to go away in a few years is a sure fire way to get trounced in the market place.. oh wait, Audi already does. Nevermind.
    If you think you understand sales of the Audi, answer this: How many A8's can be ordered by an USA dealer per month, regaurdless of how many customers have already paid for one and are waiting to recieve them?

Each Audi has a limited production.

PS How many S4 Convertables are made each year worldwide???
    It would seem that not everybody that can afford a lux car opts for an Audi, would it? Little point in the other brands hanging around oif that was the case. I understand you like Audis and all, but your truisms are a tad overzealous.

Luxury cars are like beautiful women: we all have different tastes, and we often lust after what we didn't drive last. ;-)

All these cars have ther pros and cons, and I think the ones that have brand religion syndrome are the people who just bought a new car and are extremely proud of it. Good for them. But it tends to fade some after a while, and other cars start to look great. Uh oh, there's the parallel to the women analogy again. :-)
    You do have a great point....:>
  • livinbmwlivinbmw Member Posts: 120
    every car is "limited" production.

I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the I-drive seeing as your flagship sedan there at Audi has jumped in with their own version.

I also wouldn't assume that few of the people that participate here can't afford a luxury car. Some of these fellas definitely know what they are talking about and have experience with such cars in more than just a magazine sense, right Max? Just because one person might have some old blowed out high-line VW doesn't mean everyone else is a pretender, too.

I would sort of guess that there are some much better retail positions with other makes like Lexus, BMW, Infiniti, Acura, etc... As few Audi's as their are selling nationwide right now and with new models on the way, I'll bet your sales manager will take any offer on a new Audi and leave very little for a commission.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    So Audi has no desire to sell anything more than 4,000 A8's in the US?? It was really about 2,000 in each of the last several years. They must have doubled the factory. Now you are not possibly going to try and tell us that Audi is a limited production manufacturer, are you? A botique shop right up there with Rolls, Maybach etc?

You are half right though. Audi is a limited production company - limited by the DEMAND of buyers in the marketplace.
    Mercedes probably thought Lexus was a fad in 1989. Assuming that Infiniti is going to go away in a few years is a sure fire way to get trounced in the market place.. oh wait, Audi already does. Nevermind.
    So far only Lexus /toyota executives have been known to publicly say they are on the look out for Cadillac/GM chevy activities, others (germans) are just laughing cadillac off. By the time they take them seriously They will be slayed. Already Cadillac is almost Slaying MB in North America Sales. And it will gain a foothold in Europe. I read a BMW exec saying dismissively that cadillac seems to be on the move, thats about it.

I admire Toyota's business attitude. Anyone in the auto industry would be foolish to underestimate an american giant like Ford or GM
    Where do you get your Numbers?? So far all you #'s are incorrect.
    ARE YOU CRAZY????
    Go here on Edmunds...Read the Reviews....The two systems are completely different. By the way, why don't you show me some websites that complain about the Audi MMI the way I did with the 7????

If you want to know how eager we are to discount a car, why don't you pick up the phone now and call your local dealer. Ask him how much he would come off the price for you.

AUDI'S SELL AT STICKER. I have not experienced a dealer undercutting the price.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    "these fellas definitely know what they are talking about and have experience with such cars in more than just a magazine sense, right Max?"

All I have to say is 1)I can tell from your postings that I know more about luxury cars then you do.

2) I have driven and have access to alot more cars than you do(which by the way, I can, again, tell from how little you know about luxury cars, much less, any cars).
    That's funny "AUDI'S SELL AT STICKER".

Huh, the A4 doesn't sell at sticker,
    Huh, the A6 doesn't sell at sticker,
    Huh, the TT doesn't sell at sticker,
    Huh, considering how few A8s, they sell, I doubt they sell at sticker either.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    This is one of my favorite pictures. It shows how much the "new" Mercedes E320 took from its predecessors. Unfortunately it didn't take them from MB precessors, they took them from the Ford Taurus.

At least Mercedes had the good manners to change the gas cap to square, chrome up the door handles and remove the big Jag type chrome trunk lift. On the other end, is the Mercedes "Grill", which they got from Weber.

The cars pictured are a 2003 E320 and a 2001 Ford Taurus. And to think Lexus is picked on here for usurping MB styling.
    I'll bite...

Back up your statement.
    Name the dealer and salesperson you have spoken to.
    I will call them and have them get on this site to back you up.

Then we will understand the genius that is MAXHONDA99!!!

P.S. I gave you proof of my background. Do you want pictures of the cars (LEXUS MERC BMW) that i have hear and deal with everyday??
    email me by click on my name above.

P.S. AGAIN:
    Quantify your statement on your experience. Proof please.

I am tired of the MICHEAL MOORE syndrome here...if you make a statement back it up. I have provided websites and personnal informantion for everything I say.
    Exactly. Audibob, have you noticed that Audi residual is worse than both BMW and Mercedes, and far worse than Lexus? An '00 A6 4.2 is currently worth less than 1\2 of its new MSRP. You certainly wont find a '00 E430 for under $20 grand. One of the factors that causes that is that Audi cant move its cars at sticker. The other, is Audi's legendary (for being awful) reliability.

Ok Audibob, show me some pictures of Lexus stryofoam. I'd like to see that.
    AUDI'S SELL AT STICKER. I have not experienced a dealer undercutting the price.

Are you sure? I have seen Audi 'special lease' deals where you drive away with this or that payment per month.... Plus Audi's Value TANKS faster than you can say 'AUDI VALLA!!!'.
    Plus the fact that the A6 is based on a FWD platform just rules out Audi for me. As far as I am concerned its a grolified VW.
    My friend last week bought an Audi 2003 A4 18,000 miles for $23,000 from a couple who wanted to buy a Baby hauling Minivan.
    I've always seen a resemblance between the taurus and the new MB lineage. Merc1 and I disagree but I am convinced the Taurus influenced MB styling starting with the S-class and several styling cues were lifted from it. That doesn't say anything disrespectful to MB as I think the S is one of the most beautiful cars around.
    bob:

The LS is in Japan but under the Toyota banner...Same car different name.
    Merc1 will not admit that a lowly Ford can influence the design of the one and only MB.
    audibob,

Whenever I drive by a Audi dealer, they have a lot full of new Audi's. How do you suppose they sell a parking lot full of new Audi's at full price? Lexus can't seem to do it, BMW can't, Mercedes can't, Jaguar can't. How does Audi do it?

Second, the A4, which is supposed to compete head on with the BMW 3-series, sells at a fraction of the pace of the 3-series. Why does BMW give incentives currently to sell their more popular 3-series? And you're telling me Audi dealers are selling A4s for sticker? What a joke!

Third, why am I going to waste my time talking to a sleazy car dealer for a car I do not even want? Check out Edmunds TMV(it is known to be a good indicator of the market) and it says the A4 goes for a discount.

Fourth, I have a good friend who purchased a A4 AWD with sport package and 6-speed soon after the new A4 came out and he bought it for $4K off sticker, which was more than any Lexus dealer in Mass. would discount a ES300 at the time.

Another example? Brother bought a A4 in 2001 for a considerable amount off sticker.

Lastly, you didn't give proof of your background. You clearly stated you worked for Audi, when in fact, you work for a Audi dealer. There is a big difference between one and the other.

"Do you want pictures of the cars (LEXUS MERC BMW) that i have hear and deal with everyday??"

What does that have to do with anything? How does you selling cars prove you sell Audi's at full price? How does pictures of Lexus, Merc, BMW, prove Audi's are sold at MSRP?

"email me by click on my name above."

How, do you think I figured out you didn't work for Audi?
    footie,

Honestly, I don't see any resemblance between the Taurus and E-class. I personally think the current E-class Benz is just about perfect looking from all angles and pretty darn original in it's styling.
  • livinbmwlivinbmw Member Posts: 120
    Max, come on man. That was just a little light hearted humor directed toward those that are enthusiasts, not owners. You're a funny guy.

How do you have access and drive all these luxury cars anyway? Do you go and joy ride at dealers and waste salespeople's time? How many times have you had your honda appraised? Only reason that I ask is that I'm in the industry on the retail end and I'm in and out of dealers everyday and attend manufacturers events often.
    Bob:

How many you ask...The problem is NoBody cares.

Unless you want to try and sell us on the idea that there are 10s of 1000s of buyers for A-8 and S-4 but Audi is too dumb to build them and make a profit??
    "Exactly. Audibob, have you noticed that Audi residual is worse than both BMW and Mercedes, and far worse than Lexus? An '00 A6 4.2 is currently worth less than 1\2 of its new MSRP. "

WHAT???? Let see what Edmunds Says:

2000 Merc E320 (Devalued $41 k Dep, Mant, etc)
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/mercedesbenz/eclass/17805/cto.ht- ml?tid=edmunds.u.prices.leftsidenav..18.Mercedes-Benz*#cost

2000 BMW 528 (Devalued $41 k Dep, Mant, etc)
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/bmw/5series/10537/cto.html?
    tid=edmunds.u.prices.leftsidenav..18.BMW*#cost

2000 Lexus LS430 (Devalued $44 k Dep, Mant, etc)
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/lexus/ls400/1647/cto.html?tid=ed- munds.u.prices.leftsidenav..18.Lexus*#cost

2000 Audi A6 4.2 (Devalued $41 k Dep, Mant, etc)
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/audi/a6/5902/cto.html?tid=edmund- s.u.prices.leftsidenav..18.Audi*#cost

PS: $25,900 is the edmunds resale for this car...hmmm....The current price in todays money is $49,500. Factor that the car initially cost less 4 years ago, and your other statement is faulty too.

Try again.
    THIS TIME WITH FACTS THAT I CAN VERIFY PLEASE.
    You're the expert - what's thes ales volume of A8's in the US. I've seen 2000-2400 for the old model with a pickup to the 4,000 range with the new. The latter will likely fall right back by next year to its normal spot. Saw that data in many places including many posted on this website. There was an Audi salesman on the Phaeton board who said - in a post - his boss groaned everytime an A8 was due in.

Sticker - every Audi - now you are really making yourself look bad.
    Bob:

How about Number of sales on the A-8 and web sites to back them up?

You seem to come to the table with a hand full of gimmy and a mouth full of much obliged
    Hey all you angry lexus owners trying to validate you ideology, what do you think about edmund rating the LS400 at the hightest cost to own???
    michael_mattox Jul 21, 2004 (2:41 pm)
    Bob: How many you ask...The problem is NoBody cares.

Make up your mind on what you want Michael, or is you desire just to argue?
    Don't worry, dude, you're even funnier!!

How do I have access to soo many cars? I have friends/relatives/co-workers who have many different types. I have many enthusiast nuts.

One friend of mine has had a 97/98 Z3 2.8 that he modified w:lightweight flywheel, exhaust, beefed up trans./18"Breyton wheels, Brembo brakes. Same guy later had 00 BMW 530i sport w/manual.
    before that VW Jetta VR6. Currently, has a Volvo S60R. I have driven all of them as he leases and doesn't really care how it's driven.

ANother had the current gen. A4 Sport 6-speed for about 6 months, before that a MB C280(driven both).

One relative has a stable of Lexi' 95 ES, 00 LS400,

Father in law has a current gen. LS430, as well as a Benz ML320

Other relative has a previous gen. 7-series.

Otherwise, a friend works at Lexus NA in NJ. Been to ride and drive event with him in NJ where they Lexus products as well as competition. Driven them on a racetrack, slalom, wet braking, dirt braking, acceleration.

Sorry, I have better things to do than waste salespeople's time, even though when I do it is quite fun to waste their time and listen to them hype their products up. you know how it is, bump up the horsepower numbers, make the car faster in 0-60time, etc.

"How many times have you had your honda appraised? Only reason that I ask is that I'm in the industry on the retail end and I'm in and out of dealers everyday and attend manufacturers events often."

WHat does that have to do with my car? But yes I've had it appraised. Thought about purchasing a Acura TSX last year but it sucked.
    We are back to the "I want to be and owner, but just heard from the thousands of friends/relatives who own them" club.

Yea, right.
    Bob:

I am not so selfish as to think there may be someone who would like to see the Numbers....It doesn't seem there is anyone here who would actually want to buy one. Certainly not at sticker.

But, I could be wrong.
    "Thought about purchasing a Acura TSX last year but it sucked. "

Yep. I agree with you.
    Even Cadillac has better value than Audi, just look at 2003 CTS Vs. A4 used Values.

TSX=Accord with leather & Navigation
    Where do you come up with B.S. from?

True cost to own for 2004 year cars:

LS430: 67K
    745i: 76K
    S430: 81K
    E500: 65K

And your precious A8 isn't even on the list because not enough are sold to gather information on.

Please go on with Audi's selling at MSRP!
    Kinda similar to yourself hoping to be a owner? If you click your heels and really really wish, maybe one day you will be able to own a fine Audi yourself.

BTW, since you supposedly have soo many used Lexus on the lot, try taking off a front fender and see if it has styrofoam in it. I bet you you know it really doesn't but you're just dying for attention or are extremely bored because you haven't sold a Audi in days because nobody is willing to pay MSRP for one.
    My Audi is a A4 6Cyl
    WAUDD28D2WA157053
    Texas Plate
    B86KSL

Look these up if you can and you will have me and my car.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Dear AudioBob,

This post isn't necessarily all that auto related, but it does help clarify whether windows and other commercial grade OS's are in use by the military, which was a point of discussion earlier.

I would conclude that your assertion that this technology wasn't used by the government is just plain wrong.

It looks like the University of Texas (right there in your backyard) has helped develop very important technology for Mine Detection for the Navy. It's based on one of their standard platforms - which is the industry standard pc-104 stackable card format.

This recent SBIR soliticitations is seeking software for deployment on a PC104 platform using Windows.

You might learn more at the winsystems.com website. They provide modules and software for every environment for pc104: DOS, windows, linux etc.

N04-207   TITLE: Multi aspect sonar classification for High Resolution Broadband Sonar (HRBS)

TECHNOLOGY AREAS: Sensors, Battlespace

ACQUISITION PROGRAM: PEO(LMW);  Explosive Ordnance Disposal Program Office, PMS-EOD

OBJECTIVE: Develop improved Multi Aspect Classification Processing (MADC) algorithms for advanced bottom and buried mine target detection and classification.

DESCRIPTION:  MADC processing is a biologically inspired approach to mine detection and classification based on years of Office of Naval Research (ONR) and Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) funded research in the study of Dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) biological sonar (biosonar) and associated Fleet system development. DARPA recently funded a Dolphin Based Sonar (DBS) development effort, which designed wideband (80kHz) sonar that incorporates biologically based transmitter and receiver elements and image generation capability. This system was designed and developed during the 1999 – 2002 fiscal years and was tested at Applied research Laboratory, University of Texas (ARL-UT) Lake Travis test site and in San Diego bay.  Target sets detected consisted of eight Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) certified mine simulators at ARL-UT and mine simulators with associated bottom clutter objects in San Diego bay. Approximately 50,000 sq. meters of B-2 bottom type data were ensonified using the DBS in a manner similar to Unmanned Undersea Vehicle (UUV) search patterns. A rich data set was collected.  The DBS signal processing was successful in demonstrating basic functionally of an initial multi aspect detection and classification processing scheme applied to the San Diego bay data.  The multi aspect detection and classification approach showed great promise.  ONR has since funded efforts to advance portions of the approach for transition to existing/planned UUV platforms.

Further efforts are required to refine the MADC process for incorporation into UUV sonar sensors.  Development of Code, which must run on standard UUV computer architecture (PC104+ systems running advanced windows OS) that is compact, fast and provides for:

1)  Image generation from extracted data ”snippets”, for either acoustic feature based or synthetic aperture type images to aid classification by automated processes or visually recognizable by a sonar operator are needed.

2)  Classification techniques based on multi aspect returns for and associated feature sets of the mine contact data need to be developed for enhanced classification performance.

3)  Refined and more fully developed acoustic focusing processes (motion compensation algorithms).
    Vs.
    Vs.
    Vs.
    Vs.
    Vs
    Vs
    Vs.

In this company, no one dominates any car as almost as good as any other. It’s a tough segment to be in. Audi, BMW and Mercedes are no longer Kings here.

My pick so far from reviews (Cadillac) I have never driven any of them. Why Cadillac?

BMW handling, Jaguar soft leather, Lexus quite, Cadillac quality and style, American size, peppy smooth, quite Northstar.