Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

High End Luxury Cars

Comments

• michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    THE Acura will never be a Ultra Luxury Sedan until it put in a V-8. I agree it is a wonderful car but it is just not a LS430 that can be had for as little as $55,000 with Nav. and Mark Levenson. (you have to deal a little)

If you want to experience a real Ultra Luxury that is not that much more expensive then the RL..Go drive a Lexus LS430 (any yr. 01-05) YOU WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE

Same thing with S Class Mercedes but they are much more expensive.
  • doctordatadoctordata Member Posts: 8
    I am now on my fourth Lexus - LS400 first and now
    the LS430 the time span is 10 years for 4 Lexus LS type cars.

During these 10 years absolutely nothing has gone
    wrong with any of the cars. Not even a light bulb.

When talking about whose best and whose second best consider where and how they are built and the exchange rate.

Thousands of Turkish and Greek workers make the
    Mercedes and BMWs. The 10 Lexus models are made by 66 persons - yes thousands against 66. Taraha is the most advanced auto manufacturing plant on the planet, and at least 5 years ahead of the next plant which is probably Nissan.

So when it comes right down to it, the Lexus is much better built than BMW or MB or any other Euro car. Plus it costs much less - robots don't earn wages!!!!
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    They've been building them with robots since inception in 1990. Maybe that is indeed why the cars are so near perfect in build quality. No German car I've ever been in can touch the LS400/430 build quality. Toyota's financial clout from earning 12+bln a year will keep them well ahead of everyone else. In fact it will likely increase the distance in factory quality further. Remember that robots don't go on strike either and they don't get annoyed from getting to small a pay increase.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    You have been extremely lucky. I have a very small sample size of people I know that have LS. After a few years, they are like "real" cars, squeaks, rattles, noises in the drivetrain, interior wear issues, etc. Now I wouldn't say these cars are unreliable, but they are mechanical and unless they are stored in a bubble, mechanical things break, electronic things break-down and they need to be fixed.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    Yep.. Lexus is the only company that has those..

And 66 workers.. That is correct.. Every Lexus is made by the same 66 people...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    The 66 workers thing is funny!!!

66 workers make about a half-million Lexus and simlarly TOyota badged vehicles(Celsior, SOarer, Aristo, WIndom, Harrier). Man that's efficient, although I think the numbers of factory line workers needed to build these products are alot lot higher.
    John Benson
    Bob Bingham
    Mike Boltz
    Jonathan Bredenkamp
    Darin Buscaglia
    Ryan Culver
    Debbie Daniel
    Sean Darcy
    Steve Ellsworth
    Ward Fulcher
    Melanie Gagnon
    Brian Gardiner
    David Garibay
    Cathy Gottardi
    Steve Holdaway
    Dion Hyland
    Rich Jackson
    Bruce Laing
    Mel Melliza
    Darrell Packard, Jr.
    Clint Sanders
    Gary 'Smitty' Schmidt
    Dan Scott
    Leslie Siegel
    Gregor Stewart
    John Sylvester
    Patti Totten
    Don Yocum
    John Zaninovich

So, there!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    You're a riot Alice! A regular riot!
    I have a 01 LS 430 and it is as solid as the day it came off the Dealers lot....I would be horrified if it rattled and made noises and had a rash of anything breaking down it just doesn't happen. ...

Lexus LS doesn't rattle and squeak and make noises...Perhaps your small group of friends with Lexus have other then the LS...they are closer to what you would call a "REAL CAR"
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Amen with my '01 LS430 as well.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    Hey, that's only 29.....Where's the other 37???lol
    It was a Friday... they all called in sick.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I'm not trashing the car, only saying like any other car, stuff happens.
    KD:

I know you are not trashing the car but I don't think you really understand it is not like any other CAR..

I remember the first time I drove one it was very different...(that was in 91 or 92) I couldn't afford it then but eventually got lucky and could afford whatever I wanted I Drove a BMW 7 Series and realized I didn't want a drivers car I wanted pure Luxury...Then I tried a Mercedes S class and loved it I really liked the ride, the look and the quiet....Then I remembered Lexus LS and gave it a try it is a different experience to own and drive one.

PS...Lexus has give me the ES, GS, and several different SUV. as lowners over the years when I have gone in for service...THEY ARE nice but PRETTY MUCH LIKE OTHER CARS IN MY MIND...IT is just the LS that I find so awesome.
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
    Interesting read on the vast quality process difference verses the Euros.and Domestics.. Consumers Union engineers said that the Japanese Lexus and German BMW were found to be at opposite ends of the reliability spectrum not only in electronics but across the board-engines, transmissions, suspensions, exhaust, brakes and other areas. Based on surveys from approximately 675,000 respondents, they found that eight-year-old Lexus LS400s had fewer problems per hundred vehicles (41 per 100) than six-month-old BMW 7 Series vehicles (42 per 100).

http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18401442
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    That doesn't surprise me at all. Any luxury cars that have made it to 8 years are going to be fairly stable, contrasting that with a brand new car just off the factory line, only in its 2nd year of build... I think the statisticians built this comparison to suit their needs.

That being said, I do sincerely feel that Lexus is a much more dependable car than most any other, especially BMW, but I just think that comparison is a little rigged.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    The comparison isn't rigged. It's significant.

In fact an earlier post had it partly right, things do wear out. However wear out rate varies over time and with manufacturer.

In addition, most manufactured machines go through a break-in period often called the 'infant mortality' interval. Results for this interval are captured in statistically significant surveys by folks like JDPowers in their IQS.

The resulting overall problem arrival rate is a "bath tub" shaped curve, where problems are high at the beginning, then they experience failures at a more or less lower rate during the opearational lifetime, followed by an increasing uptick in the failure rate near 'end of life'. In service failure rates are captured by JDP and CR etc. for most major brands.

What's different about Lexus, particularly the LS, is that it's infant mortality failure rate is so much smaller than anyone else and it's in-service rate is also the lowest in industry. The Lexus bath tub is very shallow. It starts low, stays shallow. The European car companies own the deepest tubs. They start high, stay full and overflow at the end.

As a result of high quality, highly durable components and subsystems, the Lexus LS in-service length is very long and therefore very low cost to owners.

Lexus strategy pays off hansomely for Toyota in profitability, especially in very, very low warranty costs.
    I can guarantee you the 2004 I have now won't rattle in 2007 and the 2007 I will take to replace it won't rattle in 2010. I would be shocked if anything went wrong with either car. That's not luck - it's confidence in phenomenal build quality/reliability. I'm sure there are a handful of bad ones out there but I've never come across anyone that had a bad one. Even when I went to a showroom opening party for the 2001 car and talked to many, many LS400 owners/lessees at that time I couldn't find one gripe. This car doesn't score those unmistakably high red reliability circles it gets in Consumer Reports year after year on luck. It gets it on know how.

Michael - No question the LS430 is super special. It, the LX and the SC are the elite of Lexus. The GX470 - which I have - is a just miss in that elite circle but it is an excellent SUV nonetheless. The GS430 is a heck of a car but after that I do find the GS300, ES and RX more ordinary, particularly the ES and the old RX. But the new RX has jumped a lot and is not far from that elite circle. Never drove the IS so I can't say anything about it. The LX is the SUV version of the LS. I could live without the LX, but the LS has me hooked forever unless they screw it up at some point. For me - it's a must have car. I also agree with you on the S500 - a great luxury car that would be the car I'd be in if Lexus wasn't around. But its poor reliability would drive me nuts.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I posted this on the LS forum

oac "Lexus LS" Dec 6, 2004 9:01pm

For a relatively high mileage car (95K miles) and having no problems to report, is a remarkable feat. Nothing. NADA.... I still cannot hear the engine while driving with the music off. BTW, the build date of my LS is 09/1998, and the delivery date was 11/1998. Six years and 95K miles and it drives like it just rolled off the factory floor. I haven't owned many luxury cars, but I doubt if there is ANY car out there that can beat the LS in pure reliability. Isn't that a good quality for any luxury car ?
    It's what MB's whole reputation was built on - in the past. They certainly aren't at that level now.

I've got to find out what's going on with OUR 2007 model. I made a service appointment on my car (14K more perfect miles) and my sales guy told me a 5.0 liter and a hybrid version of it are what is coming. AWD - he doesn't know yet, but given your location you probably couldn't care less any way. But definitely a complete revision of the styling in line with a stretched LFS look. I'll keep you posted. By the way he hadn't heard anything about the HPX.
    While the bimodal, "bath tub curve" analogy is good, Footie, I still think the study needed to compare apples with apples.... i.e. just come out and show that the initial 6 mo repair rates are much lower in Lexus than BMW. To compare it at different phases of an automobile's life is poor design and flawed. It sounds good, but doesn't really compare the same thing...6 month repair rate would imply the quality of build and the parts going into the car. The 8 year repairs more reflect the durability and longevity of the car. Two different aspects (both important, but different).

As I said, I feel it is a misrepresentation just for the "shock" factor.
    Thanks, Len.

Only one thing I am dying to clarify. Will the new LS be an MY 06 release or an MY 07 ? And when is a likely date for its availability here in the US ? Seemed like Lexus is keeping info on this redesign pretty tight to their chest.

And they gotta build that HPX ! Would make so much sense and much much $$$ for Lexus, imo.
    Doesn't look like a concept to me....

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?file=car.php&carnum=- - 1653

BUT, will this car ever hit the streets of NY or LA ???
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Is Jim Jones... I mean Denny Clements... going to take you guys to Guyana for the unveiling of the next LS?

;-)
    Bismarck, North Dakota - Danny wants to stay in the US.

Hey - If BMW and Porsche guys like you get hooked why wouldn't you think it'd be the same for guys with different preferences. Lexus hits their mark every bit as perfect as BMW and Porsche hit theirs.

You know what is in Bismarck don't you? Another classic episode.
    Yep, we're all nut jobs. But I'm starting to criticize Porsche and so are many others. Whatever it is that is afflicting German cars, they could have become infected. You never know, I could be drinking the cappucino ;-)

Raccoon Cemetery, Bismarck ND
    Hey - here's one for you? Where did the Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler work? Hint - it was right next to someone.

Lexus hasn't given us any reason to criticize yet - unless you consider a minor default in the current nav system and the failure of the lights to shut off if you leave a door ajar. But some of our best people are already working on this - see the LS board. Actually the cars are getting better, with tighter handling and no sacrifice of ride quality, and reliability that is through the roof. Hard to even think of moving away from something so perfect because you just know you'll be damned if you do.
  • rwoodsrwoods Member Posts: 129
    Len,

I test drove the LS430 and GS430 side by side in May and decided on the GS430. Reasons: It was $10,000 less, and with its 235/45/17 inch summer tires, it handled better although the LS was smoother over bumps. And finally, I felt the GS430 projected a sportier image than the LS. I'm 56 years old and not yet ready to move into a car that seems suited for the senior citizens.

The GS has been bullet proof in reliability so far. My only regret is that I don't have time to drive it more often, only 4,000 miles on it. The V8 is so quiet and potent. The feedback from the steering wheel is perfect for me. I'm still closer to the luxury mode than the sport mode so I like the silent, refined cabin.

Compared to my BMW328 the GS430 is more confidence inspiring regarding reliability. I still think the day will come when I purchase an LS430 but that may have to wait until I reach 60.

Bob
    Malverne,NY
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    liferules -
    Yes, the ends of the bathtub (which is a fairly common way of looking at failure rates) measure different kinds of failures, but in many ways they're the same as they both spring from the same root cause. First to qualify myself, I'm an engineer with some familiarity with the subject. 95% of the results of the short or long-term JD Powers surveys were determined before the first piece of metal was bent.

If you remove external factors such as the owners driving habits and the care he has taken, both ends of the bathtub trace back to before the car was built in the reliability vs cost decisions made, and in the MMT (manufacturing methods and technologies)used to build the car.

Higher specifications, increased component testing and an aggressive QC program lead to lower initial failure rates. These same factors as well as a better fit in manufacturing (tighter tolerances from robots vs humans in this case)reduce wear and lead to fewer problems years downstream. Both numbers reflect the builders commitment in design and manufacturing to get a more reliable product. Lexus is relentless in this area, and they can afford to be (it does cost big bucks). As ljflx points out fairly often, with a $12B war chest you can do some remarkable things.

Having said all this, mistakes still happen. Rather than roll the dice, Lexus preferred to replace thousands of transmissions (the early 2004 LS problem) and give owners $ 200 worth of gas for the inconvenience of bringing the car in and driving a new Lexus loaner for a day before a failure rather than wait and see how many actually developed a problem. Big bucks decision, but easily embraced within their philosophy. If querried I wouldn't even count that as a problem in my survey response unless the transmission actually failed when I had the car.
    I've driven the GS430 a number of times and love it and maybe it is also an elite member. Great combo of luxury and sport. I'm younger than you and so are many of the people who own the LS430 around here. It's size rather than appeal or sport that makes the LS430 my choice all the time. GS430 simply is too small for my family needs. Big difference though between the GS430 and GS300. The 430 just felt smoother and its far greater power made the GS3 feel like a more ordinary car. Same experience differential for me with the E-class cars. I'd take the GS over the E because of its far greater reliability and I thpought it had a better ride. The next GS looks fabulous.
    It's the coolade Denny has been passing to us, designman

:)

Like Len said, we have a car that satisfies our needs and makes us happy campers; nothing wrong with that, right ?
    Next to Ed Norton in the sewer of course! I'd like to talk more but I must go and core a apple.
    "It's the coolade Denny has been passing to us..."

Oac... that's precisely what I meant. But don't they offer cappucino and espresso when you bring your car in for Lexus service?

You know these forums sure are great. They allow a man to let go a little... ya know... have some good clean fun. (We're really beating this Honeymooner stuff to death ;-)
    Stevestein,

Thanks for the information. I agree that Lexus is top tier in quality production. I know no other auto maker that serves the customer so well (a sad state of affairs IMO). Perhaps they can goad some other companies to start standing behind their products.

Best wishes.
    Actually at my dealership they have that, sandwiches, deserts and games including virtual golf. But I always get a loaner.

Honeymooners - time to get out the dvd collection and find the Christmas episode with the bowling bag ball and uncle Leo. Hey did Seinfeld copy that guy??

Hpowders - absolutely correct.
    There are only 2 shows from the past that I never get tired of. You mentioned them both: The Honeymooners and Seinfeld. The Seinfeld crew went their separate ways and all have been failures-yes even Jerry-just terrible at standup. Yeah the bowling ball episode: "It's great to see you Ralph!" I'm already laughing uncontrollably! Looking to get my LS430 in August when my Bimmer lease is up.
    hpowders:

What possessed you to do the infamous thing: go from a Bimmer to a Lex ???? Designman may have a hissy fit seeing another Bimmer lover bite the dust and go Lexus. J/K of course.

As Vince Lombardi (the great Green Bay Packers coach) would put it: "What the hell is going on here ?"

Seriously, hpowders, any specific reasons why you'd want an LS over a Bimmer, besides the obvious ones ?

:) Curious to know....
    Did you buy the Honeymooner DVD set? It's great to have the 39 shows in crystal clear dvd format. I never tire of the Dick van [non-permissible content removed] show either. Dick was phenomenal and Mary Tyler Moore was already great back then and Carl Reiner was always in the background. Everyone loves Raymond is also up there as is Friends. All in the Family and Sanford and Son were great but they fit their time period rather than the "classic universal" time the others have. But The Honeymooners, Seinfeld and Dick van [non-permissible content removed] are my top three.

You are dead set on the LS coming from a Bimmer huh - which BMW? Oh, oh - is designman next??
    At this stage of the game(mid 50's)-luxury and reliability are more important to me than race-track handling and idrive computer chip breakdowns. Look at the very poor reliability forecast by CR for the new 5 series. You can fool some of the people.... I can't wait for August.
    Everywhere I look there’s talk of Lexus reliability and methods, even on the Porsche-enthusiast website that I frequent where there is a current thread attended by a well-known Porsche writer/guru. Says he knows German-car insiders, that they are resting on laurels, smug about their own legends, arrogant, blind to the current errors.

Now if you guys promise that you are not shills ;-) and if the next LS turns out to be a handsome piece, I will consider it. But don’t forget, I now own what some consider to be the best sedan that was ever made so the standards are high here…

“To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.”

from the poem In Flanders Fields by John McRae
    I will definitely get the Honeymooners DVD set. No out-takes of course as the show was stone cold live every time.
    I have a 2002 330i sedan with every intention of moving up to a 530i this August. I have heard so many complaints about the new 5 series that the game plan had to be changed. BMW has let me down by over-complicating their new vehicles. Too many horror stories of idrive failures literally shutting down the car. When you pay 50-55k, a car should be exceptionally reliable. We're not talking about a Kia here! I have been a BMW man since 1993. It's time for a change. Very much looking forward to the LS430 next summer.
    Hmmm, there's some Benedict Arnold action going on around here. Am wondering how kyfdx and kdshapiro will weigh in on this.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Please allow me to jump in here. I have been looking at this forum for just the past couple of weeks, and don't have time to go back through all 7000+ past messages, so if I am being too repetitious, please forgive me.

As the LS forum frequenters already know, I recently bought an '05 LS. You can see from my profile that over the past 30 years I have owned (in order) Volvo, Audi, BMW 735, and most recently 2 MB E320s. I obvious appreciate the benefits of the German approach to fine cars. So why did I just switch to an LS?

Frankly, after rejecting the new BMW based on everyone I know having one ending up hating the i-Drive, I started off thinking I would be making a decision between another new E or jumping up to an S430 (likely a slightly used Starmark). That's when I started researching and found that the anecdotal info I had heard about the reliability of recent MBs was not just the loudness of a few complainers, but statistically meaningful data. Also, the MB dealer I had been using for the last 10 years had expanded a couple of years ago, and the service IMO had really suffered ever since. So I quickly decided that my practice of buying a great car and holding it for a long time (beyond any warranty) didn't make sense anymore with an MB, especially a used S class.

Pricing of a gussied up E came out the same as the deal I could cut on a similarly equipped LS. In a head-to-head comparison, the E just didn't stand up. Start with reliability, then compare seating comfort, then roominess of the rear passenger compartment (I continuously got complaints when i had to put 3 business associates in the back of my E). Handling of the E was admittedly a bit more "fun", but once I drove an LS with 18" wheels and low profile tires, the difference was really minimal at anything close to legal speeds. On the Autobahn, I would admittedly take the MB; but you know what, I can't get to the Autobahn from my house (by car at least).

Finally, as to styling, I still have a '98 E in my garage next to the LS, both the exact same color combo (black exterior, beige interior). The rear of the LS is so obviously a copy of the E that it is almost funny. The interior coloring of the LS is also an exact copy of the two-tone beige of the E. I love the simple beauty of the body of the E; and although the LS emulates it, the E just looks better. In comparison, the LS almost looks like someone took an old style E and pumped it up until the proportions were just slightly out of kilter.

Nevertheless, the LS is an overall nice looking car, just not as nice as the old E that it was clearly patterned after. Conservatively attractive yes; head-turning no. IMO, the only thing that keeps it from looking too conservative is the new 18" alloy wheels.

Bottom line: it is hard to talk about "value" when you are paying over $50,000 for a piece of machinery that serves the same function as another piece of decent machinery that can be bought for less than half that amount. But in reality, the less than $56K I paid for an LS with Navigation and every other techno toy that I could conceive of ever wanting, really is a great value. I started buying BMWs and MBs in 1987 with the expectation of paying a lot of money up front but having minimal future hassles, a class experience at the dealership, and a long term holding period of a fine piece of equipment. As far as I can tell, only Lexus delivers that now. Hopefully, someday soon the Germans, the Brits, and the Americans will be able to do it again as well. Yep, I am another Lexus convert- at least for now.
    I would love to continue with BMW. I have leased them since 1993 and am addicted to the ride. I don't believe it is worth the potential risks anymore so I will be going with the LS next summer. The only thing that could change my mind would be a dramatic improvement in the reliability stats for BMW between now and August. I do not anticipate this happening, however. Very sad.
    "I would love to continue with BMW. I have leased them since 1993 and am addicted to the ride. I don't believe it is worth the potential risks anymore…"

I feel the same way although I am willing to sacrifice a little reliability for the passion of driving a car I love. Then there's styling. BMW is going over my threshhold. They have to shape up before I buy another sedan. The only vehicle that appeals to me is the X3. However my wife and I both love our 03 530 so it's a tale of two cities.

With regard to retained value I'm not sure BMW can keep this up. I think they are still living off the previous generation.
    According to Automotive Lease Guide

http://www.alg.com/news-information.asp?page=news_alg_rva

Luxury Brand Residual Value Rankings
    1 BMW
    2 Lexus
    3 Acura
    4 Mercedes-Benz
    5 Infiniti
    6 Volvo

Industry Brand Residual Value Rankings
    1 Honda
    2 Toyota
    3 Nissan
    4 Volkswagen
    5 Jeep
    6 Subaru
    7 Mazda
    8 GMC
    9 Chrysler
    10 Ford

Category Winners
    Compact - Mini Cooper
    Mid Size - Nissan Altima
    Sports - SLK
    Near Luxury - Nissan Infiniti G35
    Luxury - Mercedes CLK
    Mini Van - Honda Odyssey
    Compact SUV - Honda CRV
    Midsize SUV - Toyota 4Runner
    CUV - Volvo XC90
    Full Size SUV - Toyota Sequoia
    Compact Truck - Toyota Tacoma

Interesting how MB has two category winners yet they are only fourth by brand.
    I am not talking about sacrificing a "little reliability." When and if idrive crashes, the car is completely paralyzed. And according to many 5 series drivers, it can take a long time for the dealer to fix. From the number of complaints posted in various places, it seems too much of a risk to get a 5 series at this time. I would be driving "scared"-always thinking about being stranded-or even worse-a complete power failure at 85 mph on the interstate with a tailgater 5 inches from my rear bumper. That is why I have decided to go with the LS 430 next summer.
    OAC and I are trying hard to find out when the next LS debuts. Consumer reports buying guide says it is 2006 but other places say 2007. My sales guy told me (off the record of course) its spring 2006 as a 2007 but that is not set in stone. I have a feeling they will come out with a 5.0 V8 first then add in the hybrid option and then later roll out that super hybrid with over 600HP they have leaked to the auto mags. Time will tell but just a heads-up to track the development of the new model since August is so nearby to that next car. One thing they will do is spice up the car to the LFS sportier look and continue to tighten up the handling but they will never sacrifice the luxury or spectacular ride quality the car is reknowned for. Even the Eyro suspension maintains nearly all of the great ride.

Designman - it truly is a great car with reliability that you can bank on. I read that news on the 5 in CR as they felt it gave you everything - sport handling, reliability and plenty of luxury. You know of course the car it displaced was the LS which held that thrown for as long as I can remember. With the 5 falling from grace I would assume the LS is back on top. That 5-series was just a bully. "Now run downstairs and tell Harvey to come on up. HEY HARVEY"!
    Nothin' doin' with Ha-ha-har-r-rvey... says he doesn't want any trouble with Ralph.
    Best line in the latest Automobile Magazine:"idrive works best when parked." Wish I would have thought of that! :)