Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro

Comments

• drumcircledrumcircle Member Posts: 17
    Any suggestions on beefing up the suspension on a Chevy Astro??? Reason being,,,I hate those saggy rear-ends...
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    I don't think any of Yellow Cab's Astros have 700,000 miles, most are in the 80K-180K range, but you're right, they never need engine work. Just fuel pumps. Lots and lots of fuel pumps.
  • drumcircledrumcircle Member Posts: 17
    What actually causes the fuel pumps to be replaced prematurely??? Any suggestions on preventing the 'ol saggy back-end???
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    uses a total of six really big bolts, three per side.

Sagging suspension? Starting in '95 GM stopped using the fiberglass rear spring and went to steel. Might check the wrecking yards for a set.

Does anyone else have the "wow-wow-wow" rear bearing noise in their vans? Our '95 has had that noise for the last 50k miles. I checked the bearings and axles while replacing the rear axle seals and could find no unusual wear. Then I rode in a courtesy van with about 80k miles and heard the same noise. I asked the driver about it and he said the noise had been there since day one. One thing I did notice is that the outboard bearings use the axle itself for the inner race. I understand that is common on Chevy rear axles.

Jim
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    First of all, I didn't know there were any drive-in movies left! Ah, the memories!!!

Anyway, push the emergency brake down one click. This will not engage the brake, but it turns off the DRL and the "BRAKE" lamp will illuminate on the instrument panel. Wouldn't do this on a road trip, but to find your spot at the movies is no problem.

Jim
  • apmapm Member Posts: 11
    Have a '99 safari van with 46k. After sitting for a day it would be difficult to start. When it finally ran it would miss for several minutes. Reminded me of other cars I've had with weak fuel pumps. The problem was intermitent and it took several visits to the shop to determine it wasn't tune up and that the fuel pump had full pressure. As the situation became more aggravated the shop found service bulletin no. 00-06-04-018 that describes situation as a fuel tank pipe (plastic) in which gasoline leeches onto and enters into fuel injector causing it to stick in a closed position. The bulletin refers to chev/gmc vans and pick ups varying from '97 to '00.
    A new filler hose, a drained gas tank, and a fuel injector cleaner seemed to have cured the problem. A call to GMC customer service was to no avail.
    Being such a peculiar problem I thought that perhaps a recall would be involved. I wonder if this problem is fairly isolated or becoming common.

P.S. repairs and diag cost at private shop about $500
  • tombayertombayer Member Posts: 23
    I have a 142,000 miles on my Astro, the drivetrain seems to be doing very well considering the high mileage. Replaced the alternator, starter, fuel pump, serpentine belt. The driver side sparks plugs are a real bear to get to. Gas mileage is only about 15-16 mpg on the highway but remember this thing weighs 4500 lbs empty and has all the aerodynamic finesse of the proverbial barn door.
    Use it to tow a large pop up trailer weighing about 2400 lbs loaded. Have air shocks in back to level the ride height and a class 3 hitch. Had a little problem with the trailer swaying and I know there was plenty of hitch weight. Aired up the rear tires to 50 psi (BFG All Terrain T/A's max press 50 psi), solved the swaying problem.
    AWD is a godsend in the snow. Lack of ground clearance keeps me on the road, never try any off roading. We get lots and lots of snow where I live, can't say enough about the AWD and ABS with agressive tires.
  • creidcreid Member Posts: 54
    I was wondering do you have the 3.73 rearend or 3.42? Also do you know what gas mileage you average in city driving? My hwy seems to be a little better I average about 17~18 but time will tell. Also did you add the air shocks & use them only when towing your popup or are they used frequently with the family loaded in for a trip? I was wondering due to taking a large trip in December w/ the 3 younguns, Large Dog & Turtle on the roof. Thanks in advance.
  • gregwest77gregwest77 Member Posts: 1
    A few weeks after purchasing our new 99 Safari we discovered a disturbing problem when we plugged our cell phone into the auxiliary outlets to charge. It repeatedly would blow the fuse which controlled several power options on the van... like unlocking the back dutch doors. With the fuse blown, you cannot even use a key to gain access to the back. Has anyone had a similar problem that they have been able to fix?
  • cormiercormier Member Posts: 8
    I haven't visited this site in quite a while. But my recent visit reminded me that there are a few people who consistently provide very good advice. MrNimmo comes quickly to mind, and I've noticed JLFlemmons before, too. There are a few others, too, but I don't recall their names. Thanks for your help. It's nice of you to share your knowledge and experience.

Our fleet includes 80 late model Astros, and we've owned more than 200 others over the years. If either of you guys live in the central Massachusetts area, please contact me.
    We find that the fuel pumps have a high failure rate after 100,000 miles, and that the problem is uncommon prior to 80,000 miles. Consequently, we change the fuel pump whenever it is convenient within that 80k to 100k range. We rarely keep the vehicle beyond 150k, but we have experienced failures of new NON-AC DELCO replacement pumps in the 35k to 50k range. I don't have enough experience with this other brand to feel comfortable identifying them, but it was a sufficient number of failures for us to move quickly to the more expensive OEM pump. We have only experienced one failure using the the AC Delco replacement. Perhaps this will be helpful to you. Good luck.
  • ortega22ortega22 Member Posts: 1
    I need help in finding information of what speed the speed limiter/governor is set at on a 2000 GM safari v6. I have a 2000 s-10 v6 it's speed limiter is set at 94.5 mph.
  • snowyowlsnowyowl Member Posts: 3
    When I am coming to a stop, my 89 Astro shows it's "Have engine serviced" light. This happened starting about a week ago. Today it's not coming on at all. Oil has been changed of late every 3000 kms, and all other fluid levels are normal. Spark plugs have been replaced 1000 kms ago. Serpentine on tight but air conditioning pump bracket has broken and been welded back on crooked.(getting this replaced ASAP) Could this be it or perhaps a malfunctioning Mapf(?) sensor? Thanks for any info, I enjoy your site a bunch.
  • avro1avro1 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone else find the little things bother them? Our Astro's a/c control fell into the dash, and it rattles slightly. It also seems to have a rough transmission in the cold weather. The groceries also don't stay in the back and roll to the front.
  • socalchevsocalchev Member Posts: 20
    My 97 astro drivers side power window works sporadically, I have seen other posts saying it was the motor, others the switch. It seems to work for a while and stop, I let it sit and it works for awhile.
    Pep Boys has window motors on sale this week. Does the window only move a little bit before stopping? If you wait five minutes, does it move a little more? That is a typical experience with a bad window motor. $45 for the window motor.
  • socalchevsocalchev Member Posts: 20
    Your description is exactly how my window is currently working. I think I will look into Pep Boys and that motor. Thank you.
  • dameyndameyn Member Posts: 2
    The rear end wow-wow (msg #171) is probably a bad rear wheel bearing, you need to use stethoscope to listen while wheels spin to locate it. Have to disassemble bearing to see it, usually a spalled area on the race. I had that at about 55,000 miles, metal flakes from the original bad one damaged several others (axle lube lubes all bearings, circulates around) as well as both axle rods, cost $1420 to replace them all. As to cause, mechanics say probably a defect in the bearing which took a lot of miles to show up. That's typical, could happen when you drive out of the showroom, might not happen for 100,000 miles.
    I disabled those @#* running lights by pulling the fuse. They're worse than useless, because they make one think the driving lights are on when it turns dark while driving, they're almost as bright as the regular headlights, but the tail lights are off, so makes for a very dangerous situation. They should be outlawed. If I want the lights on in daytime, I'm capable of turning them on myself. Dale.
  • tbrown_4tbrown_4 Member Posts: 27
    "They're worse than useless, because they make one think the driving lights are on when it turns dark while driving, they're almost as bright as the regular headlights, but the tail lights are off, so makes for a very dangerous situation"

Huh? They're not for you but for the other driver on the road in the day, so they're not supposed to be directly useful for you. Your dashboard lamps are not on either so when it gets dark, you turn the lights on as normal!
  • dameyndameyn Member Posts: 2
    tbrown: I hear you, but you're not getting it. All you say is true, but unless I spend all my time trying to remember the driving lights are on and consciously waiting for it to get dark, I just drive blissfully on, not noticing my headlights aren't really on, because the road ahead is lit up as if they were by the driving lights. You are probably much more "automatic" than I, and never forget to switch on the main lights when it starts to get dark. I know there are others like me out there for which those driving lights are a trap. It's like a lot of "Daddy knows best" ideas car makers get, works for some, a disaster for others. If they insist on driving lights, then just have the regular lights, taillights and all, come on whenever the car is started. It's called human engineering in the design trade, taking account of quirks in human behavior and avoiding design features that can misfire. Hard for you to believe, apparently, but we're not all cast from the same mold. Dale.
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Note the words "when it starts to get dark"; it did NOT say "when it's pitch black".
    I too wonder why the rear lights are not turned on when the fronts are; not a smart
    move in my book.

Erik
  • vjoe_udovjoe_udo Member Posts: 30
    My parent gave me their 95 Chevy Astro and we have been pretty happy with it. The engine was rebuild in 2000 after a drive across America trip (Oregon -> NY -> FL -> CA.)

Now that it's getting colder I am hearing a weird noise from the front. It sounds like the nutty professor's car (power by flubber.)
    It's really loud the first 5-10 minutes of the morning drive. But it is much quiter after the engine warmed up. I can't hear it unless I open the hood.

Have anyone heard this noise? Any guesses?

Thanks.
    I have a troubling question. When I bought our Safari in March we noticed that the interior lights would not come on when we lifted the dutch hatch door. We took it to the dealer & they said they there is no light switch for the hatch. I went with this until lastnight when a co-worker of my part-time job has a fleet of 10 & they all illuminate when the hatch is opened but none are 2001's.
    Could this be a design change for 2001 or is the dealer full of it?
    Also I have checked the override switch on the dash to ensure that it was not depressed.
    Any suggestions is appreciated.
  • topseatopsea Member Posts: 47
    I just checked my 2001 Astro LT and there is NO lights whatsoever activated by opening the rear hatch. Of course they come on when you use the keyless entry switch to open the doors.

Hope that helps.
  • scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    I own a 2000 Chevrolet LS Astro van. I have checked the interior lights as the rear doors are opened. The lights turn on when the overhead door is opened.

This may be a feature on the LS that is not available on other models. Just how much would it have cost GM to add this switch to all of the vans?
    This is fantastic feedback. I would have never guessed when I bought my 2001 slt Safari that due to keyless system or something the rear dutch door when opened wouldn't turn on the lights. I understand that when you unlock the vehicle the lights come on but they only stay on for a very short time. It's really a pain when the rear is opened & it's dark outside you are rushing before the lights go out or getting something then the lights go dead due to the rear hatch not having a mercury switch. Poor design technology & thinking.
    I guess that's what makes the world go round. I don't have a problem with the absence of a light switch in the rear hatch. The light stays on long enough, for me, when I open the hatch with the keyless entry.

My 2001 Astro LT has lots of nice goodies but I miss the armrest on the left side of the drivers seat. I drive a lot and my '98 had arm rests on both sides of the seat. I miss that left side arm rest.
    I agreee about the arm rest. We had a 99 & the left arm rest was great especially on long trips. It seems I'm always searching for somewhere to rest my left arm.
  • bbunchbbunch Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,
    Had a quick question. We have a 2000 LS (Astro).
    We are getting 12-13 mpg.(city/highway, mostly
    highway). We have the 4.3L. This
    seems low. Expected 18-21. Driving habits are
    normal. The van does seem to struggle at speeds
    above 60-65 mph. It also needs "encouragement"
    meaning pedal to the floor to get up any type of
    hill. I think it might be the tranmission or
    sensor. We only have 15,000 on it, but am wondering if this has affected anybody elses van.
    I dont want to hear from the dealership that the
    mpg is normal. I know better.
    Thanks for any advice.
    I get better milage than what you are describing but I use my cruise control A LOT. I drive I-5 frequently and even in heavy traffic I find that cruise control keeps me from speeding and also helps with smooth traffic flow by not hitting the brakes as much. It also helps get better milage on flat terrain. The new vehicle sticker says the best the AWD Astro will get is 19 mpg but I seldom get that because a lot of my driving is at 65 and sometimes faster depending on what state I'm in. If I keep it down I can get 19 though. As far as power goes, this 2001 has about the same moxi as my 1998. I don't see a lot of difference on hills or the flat. I take the 1998 out on week-ends because it's not full of my work stuff and it drives about the same. Just as I would expect. They both have more power than any of the Chrysler products I've worn out in the past. They are also both AWD but I wouldn't expect that to make much of a performance difference on the road.

I don't know if that helps with your problem on your 2000 Astro....
    I have a 2001 awd & get 13~14 in the city and 17~18 on hwy. The worst on hwy was 16 w/ head wind and hills. Seems w/ van fully loaded with family & luggage and going up semi-steep hill the van has to down shift to climb the hill. Mine has the 3.73 rearend which I'm unsure if I regret it or not. Seems to be pretty peppy around town but feel that hwy mileage is decreased due to the engine turning more rpm's.
  • ahelmahelm Member Posts: 14
    We have a 2000 AWD 3.42 axle 19-20 Highway 14-16 city acording to computer which seems pretty acurate.

It would be interesting to see if the milage of the 3.73 can be improved by larger diameter tires. 235-75 15s can be accomodated by raising the vehicle acording to info at http://www.overlandvans.com/
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    In the 7 and 1/2 years of ownership we drove 61601 miles and it used 2976.5 gallons of fuel.
    On long trips it averaged 24.6, 23.9, 23.1, 23.6, and 23.8 MPG. I normally drive within the speed limit. The lowest gas mileage was for town driving in mid-December 1998 when we got only 13.3 MPG.
    We had digital instrumentation that started working intermittently after about 2 years. It would always work when we took it in for service. At 59,725 miles it had a coolant leak which required a $15.50 manifold gasket that took $335 labor and an overpriced $306.60 windshield wiper motor replaced that cost $67 labor. Never did require any brake pad or shoe replacement.
    Ironic? We got a NEW 99 GC SE after the repairs mentioned above and now the 99 GC had to have head gaskets replaced at 35,002 miles. If the GC needs any more repairs, I want to trade it in on a NEW 2002 Astro. I prefer the higher seating position of the Astro, panel doors to a liftgate, the 27 gal fuel tank to a 20 gal, the 4.3L V6 with 250 lbs Torque to our 3.3L with only 203 Ft. Lbs. and the much larger interior of the Astro in a vehicle that is a foot shorter in length.
    My friend drove Astros for an airport shuttle service. One had gone 700,000 miles and another one had 650,000 miles. Some transmission work was performed but he says those 4.3L Vortec engines are indestructible.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    while I was driving Y-362 ('99 Astro LS), it got a constant 12-13mpg in city driving with the AC on all the time. Never did better than 15.5mpg on the highway. Of course, this is taxi severe service on a 2-year old van with 90K on it...

other Dallas taxi drivers who use Astros report the same mileage, 12-13mpg during taxi duty...
  • dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    Mega kuddos for fessin' up to problems with your Chrysler van. I remember how feverish you were in claiming their reliability.
    Thanks to all about the mpg question. We do really like the van. (It replaced a 1995 Voyager).
    The 8 seats allowed both me and my brothers family to go out to dinner and not take two vehicles! So it sounds like on average we should see 18-19 in town and at least low twenties on the highway. It is going to the dealer with a rather long list of repairs needed. Actually, they are minor tweaks. Also a new metal on metal sound started two days ago. Possibly the brakes, allready? If it is, will take it someplace other than the dealer. And WILL NOT go to Brake Depot. (big rip off artists, they are in litigation in California, BIG SMILE). Thanks again and keep on truckin'
    OUr Astro also seems to have gotten bad fuel mileage (compared to our Windstar literally double the gas), it struggles at 120 and gets affected by crosswinds at 140. Not too stable on the highway. Solved the problem by replacing the Astro. Couldn't be happier.
  • hounddog3hounddog3 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone tried the Granatelli Mass Air flow sensor And K&N air filter? Has anyone installed an Aluminum differential cover? I sent an e-mail to Mag-Hytec, Inc. and they wanted more information.

I have a 97 2wd Astro with 3.73 gears and 40,000 miles and pull a 4000 to 4500 lb. 30 ft. Award travel trailer. It gets about 14 mpg at 55 to 65 mph in tow. Solo it will run 20 MPG at 65 to 70 mph. It takes a strong tail wind and flat country to get 21 mpg.
    I am using a 10/30 Mobil 1 engine oil. Of course the fuel mileage is very difficult to check on this vehicle as you can add 6 gallons of fuel after normal nozzle cut off. The last 6 gallons are like filling through a straw, and not all pumps will pump at a low enough volume to permit topping off.

I had a 94 2wd 165 hp company van with 3.23 gears and it would get up to 24 mpg. I drove it 85,000 miles with zero defects. I had one injector replaced on the 97 under warranty.

I find it to be one tough truck, and the mini vans are a different breed. The 5500 lb. tow rating and hauling 4x8 sheets of plywood or wallboard set it apart. I ran out an Aerostar and a Voyager Co. vans and prefer the gusto of the Astro.
    ....But when the dealer fixed it the next day under warranty and no cost to us for it, the oil change, etc. there is no anger yet at DC.
    We had never had a coolant leak in under 100,000 miles on any vehicle until the 91 Astro CL developed the leak from the manifold gasket at 59,725 miles. However, the Astro had that abominable digital instrumentation that started working intermittently after we had it a couple of years which made the coolant leak the final straw. I wish GM had made more improvements on Astro/Safari like quick release on middle row bucket seats and extending the length at front to provide better engine compartment accessibility and more foot room for front passenger and driver. They could still be shorter in length than GC, Odd, Windstar, etc. while having more interior room.
    The 99 GC SE had ZERO problems until the coolant leak and we love the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger, front and rear A/C or Heating, Complete overhead console with outside temp, compass, and Trip Computer. If we have more than one more problem with the GC, we will trade it.
    My sister has a 2001 Odd EX which will make it easy to see how Odd are for reliability. I now feel it was unwise to trade off the Astro which had only 3 problems: Intermittent functioning of temp and oil pressure of digital instrumentation, and the failure of the heat gasket and windshield wiper motor at 59,750 miles.
  • jcastinejcastine Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    Joseph here. New to list. 54 year old school teacher, 4 years from possible retirement.
    I just bought a 2001 Astro RWD passenger van. I like it. Going to tow a TT eventually but now I'm worried about winter and a trip from new York City where I live to Toronto. Right through snow country. I used to live (12years) in New Hampshire and have always had a front wheel drive car (my last rear wheeler was a VW Bus, also good in snow). So what can I expect from the astro??? Should I get four snow tires??? Currently have P2 15/75R all season radials which came with vehicle. Could use brands/names models you use. Blizzard by Firestone????

Thanks
    I own 2 AWD Astros. I have a 98 and a new 2001. In the last 2 years I have clocked 110,000 miles here in the northwest. They both have 3.73 rear axles and will get 19 mph on the highway if I keep them at no more than 65. As for tires, I'm a big Toyo fan, I believe I have over 600,000 miles on their Z-800 all season tires. It's the best wearing and driving tire I've found for these vehicles bar none. Last winter I put on a set of their Observes and I know they are even better on snow, ice and rain slick highways. They also are "softer" and won't get the 100,000 miles that I usually get on the Z-800s, but they are sure nice in the winter and that's the only time I drive on them.
    Just finished with the dealer and it turn out the catalytic (spelled right I hope) converter was defective. It would explain the lack of power, low highway miles, etc. A replacement is on order. Will let everyone know if that helps. Thanks again for the help.
    We live where we get snow anytime between October and May. We drove our 91 Astro CL RWD for 8 winters and had only one occasion when we could not go where we wanted to with UniRoyal Tiger Paw all-season tires. That was when we were going up a steep hill with about 5 inches new snow and the original tires were about worn out.
    Studded snow tires on the rear of a RWD Astro would let you go anywhere that you could go except with 4WD vehicle. I have been able to go anywhere in my rear wheel drive Impalas, pickups, and Astro that I could go with any of 3 FWD vehicles when all had regular all-season tires. I prefer the handling characteristics of RWD over FWD.
  • hounddog3hounddog3 Member Posts: 15
    I just changed the differential lubricant on a 97 RWD Astro with 40,000 miles. I changed to Mobil synthetic, but the point is, there was a magnet trap attached to the differential cover. There were some metal particles on the trap.

I recently changed the transmisson fluid to semi synthetic, and here also, there is a magnet attached to the pan. The metal particles had been collected on the magnet.

The engine drain plug is also magnetic.

The transmission filter is a real filter, not a mesh screen as some other manufactures use.

Just crawl underneath and look at how the thing is built. The muffler is huge and looks as though it belongs on a over the road tractor. The exhaust piping is large for a 4.3 liter engine.

It also has that high profile seating so that if you have the SUV mightier than thou syndrome then you may be satisfied with the Astro elevation. But, maybe not, you probably got to have those big oversized raised letter Firestones to really become obnoxious.

Incidentally, my daughter had and older astro that had some problems. A water pump and an alternator. She gave it to the Salvation Army at 200,000 miles because it had engine oil leaks.

I'm sorry, we're only to come here to complain and bash GM, but there is another side to the story.
  • gtrag1gtrag1 Member Posts: 4
    I need to Replace the lift supports on my 95 astro rear door. Is there a Trick to doing it. I was able to pop off the clips,but was unable to unscrew the support. Am I missing some thing?
  • apmapm Member Posts: 11
    I changed the lift supports on our '99GMC rear window. I used an aftermarket prod. Directions show a ball and socket type clip I think it was on the shock side of the support. I didn't take out the screws but rather pried the spring loaded socket from the attached ball on the van. The new supports were nominal ($20) and only a couple of mins. to install.
  • gtrag1gtrag1 Member Posts: 4
    Thank You for the input. I will try again tonight. The directions on the back of the package were not written very Clear.
    My only complaint would be the quality. While my 2nd van had an unusual amount of trouble, I would certainly hope that it was the exception. The sad part is, that the van slipped through the cracks. The other part of the equation was the lousy treatment the dealer gave me. My 1993 had no problems except for some problems with the AWD system. My 2000, suffered a blown rad during its first 100km, it then had transmission failure at 3200km (before the hitch went on), had another transmission failure at 58000km before the warranty went out (purchasing dealer said it was our fault, that the class I, utility trailer was to heavy for the van, the second dealer fixed it), the block then cracked at 78000km, GM has resolved the problem. But I chose not to keep the van, in the meantime I have a 1992 beater I am using until I decide what to do. Kudos to Gm for admitting the van had problems, But I am hesitant to buy a 3rd one, maybe a Grand Caravan, my partner is going to get her 3rd windstar soon. I for sure will not buy a matching vehicle. I may swing to a SUV or maybe a wagon. The only major design flaw would have to be the narrow footwells, GM could fix that by extending the front end, GM you have no competition with this product, please continue to evolve it. Your shoddy quality lost my lifelong GM support. But I don't wish you bad luck, I hope you can get back on track so I can get back on the bandwagon. GM your other product (Yukon and company) is simply out of the question in terms of cost. The van is made of solid parts, now eliminate the rough ends. Also why does my 93 have nicer fabrics in it then the 2000, did you cut quality? I'd like too see if others think quality has waivered or if GM simply needs to weed out the bad units better?
  • pleempleem Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a new 8-passenger RWD Astro in March of '95. Still going strong 92,000 km (57,500 miles) later. Mostly light duty local daily use but occasionally long distance trips complete with heavy hauling and/or trailer towing. Other than requiring a new brake booster a few years ago a trouble free vehicle. Routine maintenance only. Reliable too although it has its quirks and idiosyncracies. Operating and maintenance costs are reasonable considering it's a truck. Despite the Astro's inherent drawbacks it has met our expectations and I've developed a certain amount of respect and affection for our 'mule'. Would I buy another? Probably not. I sense that build and component quality has slipped and our needs have changed somewhat. But, if GM were to update the design I'd consider it. Friends of ours bought an AWD 7-passenger Safari about the same time we got our Astro. Their Safari has proven to be a good vehicle too.
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    All the horror stories on this site sent me to the automotive supply house for preventative maintenance items for my 97 Astro. Unit has 40,000 miles on it.
    Mobil 1 10/30 for the engine.
    Mobil 1 75/90 for the differential.
    Quaker State semi synthetic with filter for transmission.
    K&N drop in air filter.
    Front brake pads.
    Rear brake bands.
    Fuel filter.
    TOYO ultra 800 tires that are rated at 44 psig.
    These have the hightest tread wear rating of 700 and a 100,000 mile tread wear warranty. This van runs straight and true as did the 94 without any unusual tire tread wear or cupping.

Yes! those front brakes do need the silicone grease to allow free movement of the assembly and shoes. I got this information from this post somewhere.

Now I expect it to run the 100,000 miles to get the tread off the tires. Or to at least go to 85,000 miles, like my Co. 94 driver did, without a problem. And I expect the highway fuel mileage to increase from the 20/21 to 21/22 mpg with all this TLC.

I love this van and consider it bullet proof. The main reason for owning the van is to tow a 30 ft. Award travel trailer. Tows like a dream but I did buy the TOYO ultra 800 tires for the extra rated pressure from 35 psig to 44 psig. This should improve the slight sway induced by the 85 mph 18 wheelers. Incidentally, the fuel mileage in tow is 14+ MPG at 60 mph.

When I get to feeling depressed about the fuel mileage I just go visit the Toyoto Siena, and Chrysler van sites and I realize that things could be worse and I feel better.