Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• pmcvlypmcvly Member Posts: 1
    Haven't owned a Volvo for 25+ years but am now considering the C70 convertible -- hate to give up the Miata but really need more than 2 seats and a little more comfort wouldn't hurt....found a 2000 C70 HPT convertible with just about every available option and just over 1700 miles. Dealer's wife's car who now drives the 2001 version...Don't need all the options and wouldn't get them if I were ordering new but if the price is right....car listed for $51k+ and dealer is asking $46.5 which seems ridiculously high but, like I said, I really haven't followed the Volvo market for many years. Before I make a similarly ridiculously low offer, can someone tell me what this car should really sell for in central New Jersey?
    also, curious about the HPT engine -- how many years in production, what's its reliability record and what are the biggest differences from the LPT? If ordering new, I'm sure I would lean towards the HPT because that's apparently the only way you can get a manual transmission in a C70...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
  • bchbum2000bchbum2000 Member Posts: 10
    this is a know problem with Volvo's, it is not the bulb, you will notice the bulb is not burnt out. The problem is with the socket that holds the bulb. I would think any dealer would help you, it take 2 seconds to replace, you do not have to leave the car. I have had one replaced and I need another.
  • bchbum2000bchbum2000 Member Posts: 10
    According to Car and Driver. 'some standard luxury features have become options. The 197-hp light-pressure-turbo option has been dropped for the coupe but retained for the ragtop.'
    I have the '99 coupe HPT and it's great. I have absolutely no problem commuting to work everyday and I have the power and performance when needed.
    it's an awesome car.
  • mrcrane1mrcrane1 Member Posts: 1
    Is the difference between the HT and LT motors just a different wastegate setting?
  • ando2ando2 Member Posts: 1
    MY 1999 C70 HT HAS SHUT OFF ABOUT EIGHT TIME IN THE LAST 10 MONTHS. IT HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP EVERYTIME. THEY SAY THEY CHANGED COMPUTERS AND OTHER THINGS. BUT THE CAR STILL SHUTS OFF AND IS NOW RUNNING ROUGH. IF ANYONE KNOW THE SOLUTION PLEASE LET ME KNOW
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The solution is another dealer or a visit from a factory technician, I think.
  • suzannd10268suzannd10268 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a used C70 Convertible, a 99 or 98 model. Would anyone have any suggestions as to where I might look. I looked under dealerships in Kentucky, but their inventory list did not reveal one. Also, could anyone tell me just how expensive it is to have these volvo's repaired? I test drove one today and find myself thinking no other car can match this C70. I love the way it drives. Any other suggestions also as to what other convertibles I might try. Thanks so much to anyone who can help me. Suzanne
  • ndssndss Member Posts: 2
    I also have a C70 HPT and have had problems with starting the car as well as rough shut downs. I have gone to the dealer several times but was told that they could not help me unless they could reproduce the problem. The problem is intermittent. For example after dinner one night I tried to start the car, it turns over but will not start. I usually try about 2-3 more times and usually wait about 1-2 min then it starts up without a problem. Sometimes it starts and then stalls, again it is very random. Also I have noticed that the car leaves a funny smell on you when you drive it. After several trips to the dealer I have found out the the design of the condenser on the a/c has a tendency to grow mildew. This in turn creates a sulfur smell that I thought was more like a fuel smell. To make a long story short Volvo will do nothing to help nor will the dealership. I called Volvo and was told to expect a call, a call that never came. This is the third and last Volvo I will ever buy and I advise anybody to do the same. As far as I am concerned the car is a great looking and driving turd. If anybody is interested in purchasing my turd with only 18,000 miles on it please let me know. At first I thought I simply had a lemon but after talking to several people the problems are all to common. I tried to use the lemon law but did not due to the pain in the a** factor. To make a long story short my car has been at the dealer on several different occasions for over 45 days where they added to the mix by cracking the windshield, scratching the car, and putting two nails in the tires after the tech took it home for the weekend. Thanks Volvo!
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Well...
    Glad I don't live wherever you're living. As far as my 2000HPT goes, have yet to have an issue and it has been a pleasure driving it. Only thing that annoys me is the fact that there is a lot of brake dust but that's due to the design of the brakes.
    Suzanne:

You may want to look for a 2000 model as I understand that they were still working out kinks in the 99 and 98 models (check the posting right below yours. My guess is that is a 99).
  • suzanne10268suzanne10268 Member Posts: 3
    No. 337, schuhc, I thank you so much for your advice. After reading what everyone else has had to say about their C70 models, I agree with you. Too many problems for me to put that much money into one. A dealer called me tonight with a white C70 convertible, 13,000 miles for $34,000. Now, I'm afraid to make the purchase. In fact, I won't do it until I read more about this model. Maybe I'll wait until next year and get a 2000 like you suggested. Is the 2000 supposed to be a better car? Suzanne
    Another question to you or anyone, if you do not mind. I will be paying cash for whatever car I buy, but am interested in what repairs might cost for the C70. Remembering back to my younger days and my SAAB, what a lemon, I could have sold a kidney for what it cost me. I don't want this mistake to happen again, and to 335, above, I can relate to what you are saying and am so sorry you got stuck with a lemon yourself.OH, HOW FRUSTRATING. Makes me sick that we have no laws protecting us from this and like you said the "lemon" law is such a hassel, with not that many good results, I hear. Anyway, could someone tell me about repair costs before I bite the bullet in the future and maybe buy a 2000 model since the 99 models are causing common problems. Thanks again. Suzanne
  • ndssndss Member Posts: 2
    My advise to you is to look at the Mercedes CLK 320. The car is basically the same layout but all service is included for 4 years 50,000 miles. Also I personally love rear wheel drive. It also comes standard with ESP. This basically will prevents spinouts. I think they price out around 40,000. I also own a ML320 and my experience with service on the car has been fantastic. Also lifetime roadside. There are several other goodies check one out. Good Luck.
  • marty56marty56 Member Posts: 5
    I have owned 7 Volvos since 1976 and currently have a 1999 C70 Coupe. Absolutely no problems with this great car. Probably the best I'm owned. We also have I a 1999 V70. It's been my experience when I have had a problem with my Volvo it's either been solved or made worse by the dealer. Any time I've had a frustrating problem switching dealers has resulted in a solution. The Volvo product is really solid but bad mechanics can turn one problem unsolved into a series of related problems souring you on the car as a whole. Ask your factory rep. who they bring there cars to for service. They can't tell you which dealers have poor service but I bet you the answer to the question won't be the dealer you're working with now. Be prepared to travel.
    Stick with it it's a great car.
  • c702000c702000 Member Posts: 39
    I now have 16,000 on my new c70, with "no"problems. Have owned Volvo's for tghe past 24 years. This is the best I have owned, the C70 started as a new design with a new factory and assemblers, after reading all the inputs on the internet, believe this car has improved greatly. I looked at the CLK, but believe I received more car for less money. Believe, like the last post, that having a good dealer,like I do, makes all the difference in the world. Best of luck, think you should drive both cars and see which gives you the most joy of ownership. I did and bought the C70 Coupe and saved some money.
  • ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    Do *not* buy a C70 with a shimmy.

A friend of mine has a C70 with the 17" alloys
    and low profile tires, and he developed a shimmy
    that Volvo service couldn't fix. Tire balancing
    did nothing- problem was bent rims, both right
    side rims were bent. After replacing the rims
    the car was perfectly smooth.

Recently the shimmy has come back. The rims
    are too soft for our roads here, it seems.
  • marty56marty56 Member Posts: 5
    If you change again switch to 16" rims with at least a "50 series tire" This will give you more tire sidewall to absorb road shock.
    Aluninum wheels look great but the real advantage is unsprung weight. 17" wheels are really just for image.
    Suzanne:

I would advise against the CLK 320 vs. the C70 but my reasons are probably a bit different than what is posted in 340. I compared against the 320, and the Audi S4. Drove all 3. With what I wanted (Got it loaded) the CLK did not drive $5,000+ better than either the S4 or the C70. As stated above, CLK 320 had rear wheel, and as I live in Chicago I was not going to do that with the snow here. Also wanted something that was not a "dime a dozen" and I can go weeks without seeing a C70 on the road but see 320's regularly. 320 was also not as comfortable interior-wise as the C70 was.
    S4 was competitively priced vs. the C70 and I loved the fact that it was all wheel drive. Had problems again with the "dime a dozen rule" and how close it looks to the A4 as well as the reliability issues that Audi has had in the past. Had the S4 been out for 3 years here, I might have considered it more.
    Hi:

Unfortunately I can give an estimate to the costs of the repair of a C70. 9/30 rear ended someone doing 5 mph. Nose was down, broke my Grill, Passenger headlight, bent the hood a TAD, and scraped up the bumper.
    Replaced Headlight $282 though I've seen them for $260 at IPD.
    Grill assembly was also in the $200 range.
    Whole fixing cost $1,400.
    That includes the sanding and refinishing of the bumper. The blessing is that in Illinois we have to have front license plates. I refuse to put one on because I have this thing with Sports cars and front license plates. They plugged the two holes and it is just one beautiful bumper now. Don't expect to get a ticket as the cops will only be seeing my back license plate on this car.
  • c70fanc70fan Member Posts: 2
    I have had a 98 C70 coupe - high pressure, for almost two years now. I have had no problems with the car at all, and absolutely love it. Very comfortable, fast, well equiped, and simply awsome stereo. As for the brake dust that one person mentioned, yes, it made me crazy. I'm very picky. So I ordered a set of dustless pads from IPD. They really are dustless! And they work fine. That fixed my only problem with the call. Well, except that I now need a four door and will probably sell this and buy a new S60. By the way, I'm not an old line Volvo guy. This was my first. Believe it or not, I traded a Z-28 Camaro for this car, but have owned many sports cars and sports sedans - mostly japanese. The C70 is the best I can get without the stigma of showing up for work in a Mercedes or BMW. I don't work in an industy that would easily accept seeing me in one of the status symbol cars. With the Volvo I get the satisfaction without B.S.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    My father just bought a 2001 C70 Convertible. He loves the car, but has a weird problem:

The signals won't turn themselves off after turning corners.

Anyone else in here have a problem like that with their C70's? Also, after driving this car, it feels VERY HEAVY. I haven't been able to put the pedal to the metal (break in period), but can't wait to. I want to see how fast this thing picks up speed.

Will let you know next time I get to borrow it! :)

Who knows when that will be! :(
    One of the wierd (weird?) things I learned about my C70 is that the turn signals click off only after the steering wheel has been returned straight.
    Thanks to everyone for your very good advice. I am once again thinking I will go on and buy the C70 after reading more replies. Thanks for the suggestion on the Mercedes, but I cannot stand driving a car without front wheel drive. I think I will go with the 2000, since there does seem to be some kinks with the 99. AGain, thanks everyone for all the good information. Suzanne
  • drums100drums100 Member Posts: 5
    The C-70 is great but I see lots of hesitation in your posts...and those of others. The Mercedes is wonderful, if you have 9 months to spare waiting! The Saab just doesn't measure up. So why not go for the one that will make get you NOTICED? Get yourself an AUDI TT ROADSTER CONVERTIBLE. Sure it's only got 2 seats. But it's GREAT! I just ordered mine. Can't wait!
    See comments from real people at audiworld.com. Click on "audi forums" and then on "TT forums."
    These folks are more passionate about that car than a drunken Yankees fan!
    Good luck!
    Understanding that I am biased but....
    An Audi TT? I'm sorry but you have to be kidding.
    I was going to list all the pluses of the Volvo over the Audi but there is not enough time in the world as the C70 and TT just shouldn't be compared. If you were looking at a Miata I would say go with the TT but, as you are looking at the C70, you would logically compare with the S4.
  • rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #352:

schuhc, I certainly agree that a C70 to TT comparison is inappropriate but I'm not sure that the S4 is the right comparison either. The C70 would certainly win in comfort and style but in the performance arena the S4 is best compared to the M3. Personally, I like the C70 high pressure turbo coupe but it would get stomped by a S4 or M3 any day.

When and if there is a new 'R' version C60 based on the 300 hp AWD S60R it would be much more competitive in my opinion.

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • jefflkjefflk Member Posts: 2
    The C70 has them. I have a 2000 convertible, HPT, standard transmission that I bought in Dec 99. I have had comments on this car continuously since I got it. Friends of my wife will tell her they saw me driving around. One friend's child saw me and told her it was a really cool car. The friend tells her kid she knows the owner and the kid goes "WOW". I'm driving and someone yells out "Where did you get your car?". I have 3 people at work following me around drooling. Comments from lots of others. Women, men, kids all love it. I didn't buy the car to draw comments but it's a lot of fun. On top of that the car is fun to drive. The standard really kicks. The key for the HPT is to keep RPM above 2500. The standard makes that easy. Off the line its got good acceleration but once it hits about 15mph/2500 RPM - ZOOM. I've had no significant problems. A window switch needed replacement. I also got the 17" alloy wheels. They really enhance the look. I noticed a little torque steer under hard acceleration but almost completely eliminated it by adding a couple of pounds air to the tires. I rides just a bit harder but the handling is superb, even in wet weather. I'm one happy driver.
    Rollie:

Couldn't agree with you more. The C70 is not up to the performance of the S4 or M3. Then again, you would not compare it to the A4 in less it was the C70 LT. When I was comparing I compared with the S4, which I liked. The only things that made me go Volvo were cargo space and the layout of the interior. Had the S4 been out for 2 or 3 more years and I didn't need the trunk room, I would have gone for that.
    After wiping the tears from my eyes after such a beautifula testimony (none of which I have seen for either the S4, TT or 320), I am now ready to field this question.

It is my understanding that you are to take both of the rear window buttons and snap them up AT THE SAME TIME.
  • dr_impdr_imp Member Posts: 1
    schuhc: I've tried snapping up both rear window buttons at the same time. No luck. They still stay locked. Not an earth-shattering problem - more of an upset to my kids when they sit in the back seat and want to put the window down.
  • gunbygunby Member Posts: 2
    Accourding to the Edmunds's data on 2001 C70 (although not fully updated), the price for C70HT coupe has dropped to 33k!? I also checked the Road&Tracks' buyers' guide, and it also says the 2001 C70HT coupe is $33K!? is this true??
  • iinsiciinsic Member Posts: 9
    I have just become interested in the C70. A local dealer is advertising a low pressure coupe, 30K miles, 1998, for $30K. I'm sure I can get the price lower. Is $28K too much to spend. I really enjoyed the test drive. The car is a certified used vehicle. Any suggestions regarding what to look for, or even ask, is greatly appreciated.
  • banker74banker74 Member Posts: 26
    Anybody heard about the C70 getting the geartronic option? Reason I ask is that the brochure from the California Autoshow this past week (page 44) says "Coupe now high-boost turbo (236 hp) only, adds 5-speed autoshifter option". Is that either wrong or am I interpreting autoshifter option incorrectly?

Any help is appreciated.
  • c70fanc70fan Member Posts: 2
    To the 5 speed "auto shifter" question. The 2001 has a 5 speed automatic, not four as in previous years. It is not the type with a manual shift mode as is becoming very popular (by the way, I've driven several of those, including the S80 T-6 and find that the manual shifting of an automatic is very unrewarding. It doesn't compare at all to a manual shifting experience.

To the question on the price of a used 98. I have a 98 HPT coupe that is loaded and only has 18,000 miles on it. It is flawless. I'll sell mine to you today for $28,000. I love the car but a change in jobs has me looking to buy a four door.
  • jcarpijcarpi Member Posts: 17
    I am sorry to respond so slowly to post#294 on vibration on rear view mirror. Yes, I found the car has this distortion when you have your sunroof open and you're driving over 20mph. You'll just have to decide which is more important to you, a fuzzy rear view, or the fresh air blowing in your hair!
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I just saw a big Volvo station wagon (it had a 70
    in its name) that had a full passenger side
    muffler/exhaust w/ bumper cutout, but the driver
    side had a removable exhaust cutout (with the
    cutout still in place), no exhaust, and what
    appeared to be a muffler, just like the other.
    Would this be a fake muffler to balance out the
    looks, and if so, why stop short of an exhaust?
    What gives?
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    This is what you saw. Sort of a hybrid between a station wagon and SUV.
  • shaka77shaka77 Member Posts: 1
    In selling a 00 ht convertible. If so, please contact me at SHaka610@aol.com

Thanks
  • nolefsunolefsu Member Posts: 8
    Whats the bid on a 2001 HPT convertible? Anyone own one and could comment?? That front dashboard speaker is a big minus sticking out of the dashboard. Dealer advised me that I could buy the car without this speaker but will then lose the dolby stereo effect. This car rides is a winner over the Mercedes CLK320 which is vastly overrated. I'd appreciate comments from any 2001 owners. Should I go for the coupe or convertible??
    Nice thing about the convertible is that you can get it in either the High Pressure or Low Pressure model. Coupe is only available in High Pressure. I have a Coupe but that is because I needed the trunk space (cut in half with convertible) and because I live in Chicago and there are not that many convertible days out here. Obviously they would both drive the same.
  • yiannis20yiannis20 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry... but no, the Coupe far exceeds the Convertible for handling, with a stiffer body shell, there is far less scuttle. The two can't be compared on winding roads ( not that there are many of those in the Memphis area!)
    Have Volvo deleted the LPT model for 2001? Seems strange, although their whole Marketing/pricing policy for C70s seems to be up the Suwanee...
    My 2000 Coupe is loaded, deliverd from Europe, but cost nearly $38k. Today $33.5, no leather, cheaper alloys, poorer CD,etc, etc,
    Volvo has gotten rid of the LPT for the Coupe for 2001. It is only available for the Convertible. Also, while the Coupe for 2000 came totally loaded (HPT) and you had to work to spend money on options, I compared the 2001 and all the options that I have on my 2000 and the price worked out to be about the same as I paid. Nice thing is they are only charging around $25 for the simulated wooden knob and I paid $140 for mine at the dealership.
    Ok. This is just plain silly. Does anyhone know if it is possible to get the 3 CD changer in the Volvo to automatically change to the next CD when one of them is over? For the past 7 months I have been manually pushing the buttons to get the CDs to change. I am actually ok with that but given that it is winter in Chicago and the wonderful Political machine that we have here has contracts with the most inept road work individuals in the world, I would like to have both hands on the wheel to dodge the pot holes. (realized this yesterday while in the way to work I saw a new M3 (I believe that would be 1999) lose it's left rear tire on Wacker and had to spark to a stop with madman Chicago Transit Authority busses whizzing by it).

Thanks
  • el_guapoel_guapo Member Posts: 1
    Hey all

i am new to the board... so first a bit about my car....
    i have a 1998 C70 HPT Coupe in Coral Red. It has every possible option available and i bought i used in 1999 so i don't feel quite so bad about the rapid depreciation (the 1st owner took a $10k hit). I have left my car stock with the exception of the IPD turn signal kit.

recently i was in the dealer for some repairs and got to drive a 2001 v70 as a loaner. I liked the steering wheel controls and especially the shape of the new s60 steering wheel. So my question is this: Can i swap in a s60 steering wheel on my C70? what about a v70 steering wheel (et al) and if possible... could the sc901 (3disc changer) be controlled via the steering wheel controls???? have they added this feature in the C70 2001 models???

one further question: i have read that the 98+ c70 models are prewired for a 6 disc changer but the dealer parts dept says i would need a wiring kit. I haven't looked that hard but my brief examination couldn't reveal any wiring in the trunk- and has anyone here tried using an aftermarket adapter with an alpine 6 disc changer????

any info is appreciated.

thanks
    mark

mark@medford.net
  • golfnuttbgolfnuttb Member Posts: 8
    I test drove a 98 C70 w/ 30k dealer asking $31,500. Has anyone experienced an of the problemthat have popped up on the S70 board i.e. light bulbs, little nickel & dime repairs.
    I think this is a pretty sharp looking car. But, both salesmen said it is pretty much the same car as the S70 except for body style. Can anyone advise. Also, what would be a fair price? Car is very clean.
    Golfnuttb:

A couple of things from posts a while back would be possible leaking of oil from the turbo which is fixable. Also Volvo used door hinges from the S70 for the C70 and evidently those hinges were not strrong enough to support coupe doors. The best thing to do is to go on this bilboard and read anything from "VolvoScott" as he is a Volvo mechanic in Florida. Had it not been for him I may not have bought my 2000. I am not up on the S70 but I would think that the car is significantly different than it.
  • linebackerlinebacker Member Posts: 1
    I finally purchased my dream car this past Christmas, a 98' C70 HPT Coupe. I believe I got an incredible deal since I buy/sell during the "off season" (i.e., bought motorcycle in December, sold 4X4 truck in January, etc...). I paid $26K even for the coral red car with 27K miles and 2 options: traction control and the dolby prologic surround sound system. I had been shopping for a 2-door sports car that I could drive year-round in New Hampshire. I drove SC400's, 325i's, Audi A-4's etc... This car is by far superior to anything I drove.

Best-of-luck in your search. If you get one, you'll be physched.
    Make sure you get a spare set of snow tires for that C70. I've spun mine out twice (once @ 30mph on black ice on an on-ramp & once @ 15mph going down a moderate 20 ft long slope that was semi-snow covered). No damage but this year I will by the multispoke rims and have the snow tires put on my 5 spoke rims.

Golfnuttb:
    Nothing like doing 60 on a moderately banked 110 degree curve. Only squealing heard is from my fiancee in the passenger seat.
  • golfnuttbgolfnuttb Member Posts: 8
    I appreicate your advice. I'm still wondering what is a fair price for the C70. Again, dealer sticker is $31,500 w/ 30k on miles. I also have a 94 impala SS to trade-in, car has 126k on miles and is fairly good shape. Any ideas?
    Also, schuhc, u mention the door hinges. When i test drove the car i noticed that the door did not close tightly. If i put the window down just a little bit and then closed the door and then up the window it seemed to seal properly. Any experience w/ this problem.
    The dealer includes a 2yr/24k pre-owned/ certified volvo warranty. I beleive it is bumper-to bumper. Has anyone had issue w/ this.
    Additionly, i looked back for some of VolvoScott posts and did not see any. Is their any other way to contact him i.e. e-mail.
    Thanx for your input it is really appreciated.
    Sorry. "VolvoScott" starts at post #203.
    31,500 just seems a little high to me for a 98. I went on to IPDUSA.com the other day and noticed that their 2,000 project car was around $30,000. The warranty is nice to have as well.

While I think that they fixed the door hinge problem for the 2000's (which is what I have), during the cold weather, I have noticed some noise coming from my window but I just roll it down and then put it back up and that solves the problem. My doors always do close tightly however. If you are looking at this 98 at a Volvo dealership, open the door on the 98 and the door on an 00 or 01 and see if the hinges look different.
    As a general rule, I try not to get new models. I think it takes a few years for them to iron out the kinks. As the C70 had been out for 3 years that was one of reasons, albeit minor, that I went for the 2000 over the Audi S4.
    Happieness level? Ecstatic.