Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• japancarloverjapancarlover Member Posts: 6
    Thank you, clappingmonkey and donnafitz. The dealer, of course, told me that the 1.8T was the most reliable, which is why I asked. The sales brochure (and the dealer) says that 91 octane is recommended for the 2000 Audi for best results.

After reading, listening, and thinking, I conclude that if you get a good Audi, you will love it. There is at least a moderate risk, however, of not getting a good one. If that happens, you will have plenty of problems. Maybe not like the Volkswagens, which generate many angry comments on the Web, but enough to be concerned about.

Additionally, the cost of repairing an Audi after the warranty expires will be very high. The powertrain warranty expires at 3 years/50K, which seems quite short.

Thank you again for your responses.
  • clappingmonkeyclappingmonkey Member Posts: 7
    i am not saying that the 1.8T is a bad car. i think it's great. initially there were some problems with the 1.8T engine but i have been told that the problems were short lived and have been corrected. so i dont think you should discount the possibility of getting a 1.8T because of first year engine problems.

a couple of other things to note are the EXCELLENT crash test ratings for the 1.8T which, the last time i checked, were better than for the subaru legacy. also, the audi warranty is higher and all scheduled maintanence is included free of charge.

i used to have a 96 legacy and the thing crumbled like aluminum foil when i was rear ended by a honda prelude.

i wish you good luck in your search and hope you keep us up on what your eventual choice is.
  • a418tlease1a418tlease1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, i just got my Audi a4 2000 quattro with the sports package, cold weather package, convience package and tiptronic. So far i love the car. I don't even know how to use it well though, is there anyone out there that knows how to program the computer iputs on setting it so when my windows are open when i press the lock button on my all from the remote that it can make the windows roll up by them selves with out humm ya know holding it in the keylock, i want to do a click on go thing ya know, and if there is an other think cool about the car let me thanks alot,
    Oran. email me if u want to help me with my car redxlock@optonline.net thanx..
  • ifedulovifedulov Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody:

Just wanted to share my feelings about test driving a new A4 1.8T Quatrro. Well overall I was impressed. First because the dealer took me to the "real" test drive, not the around dealership one. We went down to the small road with many turns... Then he showed me a small empty parking lot covered with snow. All what he told me was: "Just press the accel and do not touch the wheel". Boy! This car have soul! This is not like driving Acura or any other crap. It actually return all what you ask for. I did 180 turn without problems and I feel the car, I feel the every one from 4 wheels spinning under me. Great! The only part I did not like is engine at lower rpms. After about 4000 it is really nice, but before then it's kinda tweaky. Meantime the price I was able to negotiate is 28600$ which is about 5% more then invoice. Probably I need to shop around more before I buy it.

Any ideas?

Igor
  • equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    A418Tlease1:

Congratulations on your new purchase. I still love my 2.8.

As far as the windows going up and down automatically with the remote, you need to have the dealer program that. Most dealers will charge you a nominal fee to have that feature on your remote. If you do not want to pay that fee, you can open all windows at once by putting the key in the driver's door, and holding it for an extra second after you have opened all doors. The same would apply to closing all windows at once. Hold the key an extra second in the driver's door lock.

Igor:

5% is about the going rate over invoice at most Audi dealers. In fact, that is a GOOD rate. There are people paying lots more than that. It really depends on what part of the country you are from, and the supply and demand. I would definitely look at a few other dealers, but if they are all offering 5%, that is certainly not unreasonable in Audi territory. Go to www.audiworld.com, and you will see that most people have paid anywhere from 4-1/2% to 7% over invoice. Some paid MSRP. It's all supply and demand, but it is still a desireable car even after five years in it's current form.

Good luck!
  • harlequin71harlequin71 Member Posts: 3
    Now that Audi is sharing many of it's parts with VW cars, the parts should be easier to find (if your Audi dealership doesn't have it, try calling a VW dealership.) The 1.8T engine is now in the Passat, the Beetle and the Jetta (coming soon) and maybe the Golf before year end. The 2.8 engine is in the Passat. The Jetta GLX trip computer looks identical to the A4 trip computer, I would iagine that many inner parts are also shared across platforms (transmissions, brakes, suspension pieces, etc.)

Enjoy your A4s. I was/am very close to buying one (although I am more interested in the Avant for practicality and insurance reasons). I need to drive the Jetta 1.8T first (due in another month) and figure out the best payment plan I can get for a BMW 323. Surprisingly out of a group of similar cars, the A4 1.8T sedan was quoted as the highest for me to insure while the Avant was the cheapest ($250 for 6 months difference) and the BMW 323 was within $50 of the Avant's rates. Have no idea why, but the lowest horsepower sedan of the group had the highest insurance rates through Farmers. Even the Saab 9-3 SE with the HOT turbo pulling 205 HP was over $100 less to insure for 6 months.

I am an exhaustive researcher when I am picking out a new car...the next car I choose is a present I am giving to myself for graduating college and getting a good job, and living with my amazing if underwhelming Honda Civic coupe for 3.5 years. I want a 5speed, I want some power, I want a car with a personality...

Right now the BMW is #1 for me, with the Saab 9-3 a close #2, and the Audi/VW a possible tie with the Saab. If I can crack my local dealer and actually get him to deal on the BMW, I might have the perfect car for me. If not, I wouldn't cry a tear to step into a 9-3 or an A4 for a 3-year tour. In fact, the Saab might slip a little due to the "free-scheduled maintenance." BMW and Audi are 3 years (50,000mi for Audi, 36,000mi for BMW) and even VW will do the first two years/24,000mi maintenance and then back the powertrain for 10/100K (In some ways, even a better warranty than the Audi if you plan to keep it for the long run.) Saab has the right warranty but no free maintenance. They just keep coming up with rediculously cheap lease rates that blow my payment calculations into chaos...$339/month for a 9-3 with little down? Hard to beat from Audi or BMW.
  • drc4drc4 Member Posts: 56
    I've come across a lease deal on a 2000 melange/ambition A4 1.8T sedan w/tip, quattro, sport pkg, convenience pkg & nav system that's hard to pass up...$389/mo incl tax, 12K/yr, $700 down at start, 39 mo thru VW/Audi financing. There's nothing wrong with it...the car was a special order for a foreign customer who specifically wanted the nav system, but then changed her mind! Nice. Nobody seems to want to pay the extra $$ for the nav system, so the car has been on their lot for about 3 weeks and they want to move it. They let me take the car overnight and I fell in love with it.

If anyone has a 1.8T quattro w/tip, what mileage are you getting? Just by looking at the gas gauge, it seemed to be sucking more gas than I expected and I wasn't driving it particularly hard. I test drove a couple Acura TLs and they seemed to do much better with larger, more powerful engines.

I'm about ready to jump on this deal!
    Go for it!!! It sounds like a great deal. I love the Melange color. It was between the silver and melange for me, but my husband really wanted the silver so I compromised.

As far as mileage is concerned, it will get better when you start putting on the miles ( I now have 3,000 miles and the mileage is getting better), but you will not come close to a Civic's numbers. Remember with the automatic and quattro, it does suck more gas than expected with a car this size. It is worth it, though.

People on other forums are not getting any better gas mileage with the Acura, Maxima, etc.

The car is great, I wish I had the NAV system, go for it!

If you want more information about gas mileage, etc. go to www.audiworld.com.

Good luck!
    Thanks for your response. Yea, looking at MSRP for everything, which is $30,570 it seems like a very good deal selling at $27,800. And it just happens to be a color I like. I have a '95 Accord EX 5 speed in the same color...hides dirt well and looks classy. At first I didn't particularly like the Ambition interior, which is Ecru/Onyx but after a while, I got used to it and actually started to like it. Looks kind of retro with a sporty tone. But if I had my choice, I'd probably go with the Ambiance interior with brown carpeting instead of black. Oh well. What interior did you get with the silver? I'm assuming you have a 1.8T/tip/quattro as well.

I'm going to bring the car home again tonight...just to make sure, but with a deal like that, I'll most likely be bringing it home for good and selling the Accord. The Accord has been an exceptional car but I messed up my left knee while windsurfing a couple years ago and the 5 speed can be a killer in stop-and-go traffic...thus my search for an automatic, and I think the A4 can fit that need very well. Will let you know what transpires.
    I actually have a 2.8 tip because we wanted the leather, wood and power seats, but the interior I got was onyx.

The interior combination you have on the Melange is exactly what I would have gotten had I got that color.

Best of luck. It is a great car. I look forward to driving it every day. Keep us informed if you keep it.
  • MorganConradMorganConrad Member Posts: 21
    Tha Avant is a great car, practical and sporty. I'm a happy owner. However, since you seem to be leaning towards the 323, note that sometime this year the 323 wagon ("touring") should become available in the States.
    Equalizer,
    I brought the same car home tonight and noticed a couple very strange things. The dealership put gas in it and registerd 3/4 tank exactly. I reset the trip meter, drove home, took my roommate for a spin, totaling 24.6 mi, and now the gauge is exactly on 1/2!! Give me a break! 24 mi on a quarter tank? And knowing about the break-in period, I was careful not to punch it or drive over 80mph. I also noticed a distinct smell of exhaust entering the car (sunroof open) on spirited (not heavy) acceleration that smelled like I was following a 20-yr old pickup truck that was never taken care of...you know, like the smell of a car with non-existent piston rings/bad valves! I smelled this every time I'd accelerate at about 3/4 throttle. First time I noticed it was entering the freeway on the way home. I passed it off as an old, uncared-for car ahead of me but smelled the same thing on open roads with no other cars around. I'm wondering if someone who test drove the car before me drove the crap out of it, possibly damaging something. You have to drive conservatively for a while to let the rings seat, etc. The car only has about 100 mi on it. Maybe that's the real reason it's been sitting. Any thoughts?

I'm definitely going to bring it to my salesman's attention tomorrow.

Having enjoyed custom CST leather seats (power) in my '95 Accord EX, I really envy your 2.8 w/power leather seats! I just don't want to spring for a 2.8 with leather option, although the wood/leather is really beautiful. I bet the seats are very comfortable. The leatherette in this car isn't particularly comfortable and has become one of my few complaints...but a big one, since comfort is of prime importance. I can't believe leather isn't an option on the 1.8T. Oh well.
    The first few times my car was filled up with gas, including the complimentary tank from the dealer, it also didn't register full. For some reason, this seems to be an "Audi" thing. Then after about three or four fill ups, it started to register full and has never had a problem since. This seems to be the "theme" of most new A4 owners, so I would not consider that unusual.

When looking at mileage on the trip computer, your best bet is to look at what the Average MPG are. That will give you a better idea of how much mileage you are getting. I am now getting (with the 2.8), around 20 mpg city, and I really don't know highway, as we haven't taken it out for a good highway drive since we got the car, (believe it or not). I don't think that's unreasonable for a 6 cyl. quattro machine. I know the people on the A4 forum with the 1.8 engines are getting better city mileage than that, but again, that is basically after the first 3000 miles.

As far as the smell you are smelling, I would certainly bring it up with the dealer. I didn't have anything like that, and have not had anything like that in my four months of owning the car. Again, if you go to www.audiworld.com, and go to the A4 forum and post this question, I bet you get a number of answers, and/or rationalizations as to what is producing that smell. Remember, I have a naturally aspirated engine, the engine you are driving is a turbo, and that might mean different things as far as smells are concerned.

As far as the 2.8 amenities vs. the 1.8 amenities, many A4 orgers have put the OEM wood in their cars, so you are halfway there to a 2.8. Again if you go to Audiworld, there is alot of information about that in the archives. The majority of the people on that forum prefer the 1.8 engine because it is more sporty and tunable. They will give you thousands of reasons to get the 1.8 engine. As far as power seats are concerned, they are nice, but there is a big disadvantage to the power seats vs. the non power ones. If you are really tall, the non power seats are much better. The height adjustment allows you to adjust them almost to the floor. The power seats sit up about 3" higher than the non power to begin with. My husband is 6'3" and had a little bit of a problem at first with the power seats and sunroof. He preferred the 1.8 seats. It took him awhile to adjust it so that his head wasn't constantly touching the ceiling. Also, if you are basically the only driver, you will end up adjusting the seats to your liking and keeping them that way 95% of the time. The problem occurs if there are multiple drivers in your family. Then non power seats can be a [non-permissible content removed].

Believe it or not, as far as comfort is concerned, I thought the leatherette seats had more cushioning than the leather seats. I felt more comfortable in them, and again, lots of people at Audiworld will agree. It's not that the leather isn't comfortable, it's just that the leatherette is a little more padded, and less slippery. Most people think it's leather anyway, but I agree that Audi should give you a choice of getting leather on a car in that price range. I guess they don't want to take away the exclusivity of the 2.8.

Anyway, I would post some of these questions on the above forum before I made my final decision. The guys on that forum are very knowledgable and are major enthusiasts about their cars. They know every little nuance that occurs. You really get alot of technical support from them. That is one of the reasons I decided to go for the Audi. The support is tremendous, and they have many clubs and meetings throughout the country for Audi and VW owners.

Good luck with your decision!
    I've submitted a few questions on the Audi forum and am waiting for responses. Reminds me a lot of the VWVortex forum...very informative.

I noticed today that the steering wheel on this car is not level when driving on a straight and level highway. It's turned to the left about 5 degrees, so just something else to inform the dealership about. Hate to keep bringing up all the negatives but it's certainly a big part of the buying process.

Also, do your car's rear wheels increase in noise level when cornering...like a bearing sound? I can really hear a difference when cornering in this car. Or is it just the quattro system? The noise level decreases when the car straightens back out. My car doesn't make any of these noises when cornering at any speed. Sorry about all the questions but I've owned 3 Audis in the past and they were the most nightmarish cars I've ever owned. The first 2 had endless problems and the last one caught on fire while driving. I liked the way they looked and drove so kept buying them...until the fire. It was a long time ago and I've heard Audi's reliability has increased dramatically but past experiences stick with you. Going back into an Audi is a BIG step for me and I'm tuned into any little thing that doesn't seem right. And after owning a trouble-free Accord for 5 years, I'm spoiled in terms of reliability.

It'll be interesting to see what the dealership has to say about my complaints...and how they handle them. Will let you know.

By the way, I know what you mean about the leather seats. I drove a new Accord EX V-6 and it was like sitting on a hardwood bench. The most comfortable car I've test driven is a '97 Infiniti I-30 but not overly exciting in any other respect. The Volvo S-40 leather seats were also very comfortable.
    I can certainly understand your trepidations about jumping into the "Audi pool" again, and I had my concerns about reliability, but I have to say, after owning a Honda CRV that had to be purchased back because of so many problems and two Camrys that had initial problems, this has to be my least worrisome car purchase since my Pathfinder. I vowed that no matter what, if I kept this car or any car I purchased past the warranty period, I would get an extended warranty for peace of mind. I don't think I would be able to sleep at night knowing I don't have "insurance" on my investment, especially when it could be so costly for repairs.

I think looking through the archives at Audiworld would give you good insight into some of your questions, and I am sure your other questions will be answered soon. Remember, the dealer will tell you everything is fine. It's the enthusiasts that will let you know the honest truth.

BTW, we looked at the Volvo S-40 as well and thought the seats were incredibly comfortable, but liked everything about the Audi, so there wasn't really much of a decision to make.

My boss will also be going into his 4th Audi this spring. He has leased all of them and has had no problems with any of them. In fact he has a 1997 A4 now, and will be getting the 2000 A6 when his lease is up in April. Like you, he loves the Audi and keeps on coming back to it no matter what he test drives.

I certainly think the fire would make me a little gunshy, but I had a Honda Prelude for 11 years that gave me some problems, but the ultimate problem that caused me to finally get rid of it was that it also went on fire. They couldn't find the cause for it, and I was terrified to drive it, but it didn't turn me off to Hondas. All companies make lemons, and because I had two somewhat negative Honda experiences, I still considered a Honda when I was looking.

Just some advice from a person who loves her Audi.
    Good luck!
    Good attitude. Sounds like you've had you're bad experiences as well. And you're right...nobody's perfect. I'd lease the Audi for 3 years, and with the free maintenance, how can you go wrong? Plus I spoke with the owner of the dealership today and was assured whenever I'd take it in for any reason, they have several loaner cars, including an A6. And should all the loaners be unavailable, they'd get me where I needed to go. Sounds great...now if they really do it (IF I get the car)...

Just returned the A4 along with my concerns and they took it back to have it checked out immediately while I was there. I'll know something tomorrow. This dealership seems to be highly customer-oriented and have awards all over the place for customer satisfaction and have done everything possible to satisfy me. They also have no complaints registered with the BBB. Makes one feel a little better about purchasing a car!

I agree on the S-40. Not a bad looking car with good comfort and good power but just didn't do it for me. Kinda like the TL. I'm sure the TL would be extremely reliable, it's fast and quiet (Much more quiet than the A4), but the seats were very uncomfortable with a seam from hell directly under your butt with no lower back support and the styling is...well...ok. It's just another car. There isn't anything I don't like about the A4 styling, or any current Audi for that matter. What other cars did you guys check out before deciding on the A4?

Take care
    It sounds like the dealership you are dealing with is very customer oriented. That would really clinch it for me. There are so many sleazy dealerships out there in every car brand, it is scary.

As far as cars we looked at, I really looked at most of them by myself, and then brought the husband back for the finalists. My thoughts on the various cars I looked at went this way:

Acura TL: Felt very uncomfortable for the same reasons you stated above even on the test drive. Felt the fit and finish were below par, and they were cutting corners to make it the bargain of the century. The passenger's side air bag was about 1/2" sticking up on the console. That did it for me. I was totally unimpressed. I liked the Navigation system, though. Oh well.

Mercedes 230: Really had high expectations, considering this was a "Mercedes". Got into the car and felt the front seats were as hard as a pew. Everything looked plasticky, and the thing I didn't like the most (which BTW was also on the BMW), is that the side airbags were in the door, so if you change front seating positions, the airbags couldn't go with you like when they are in the seats. My husband is very tall and would have had the seat moved all the way back, which would have been nowhere near the airbag.

Nissan Maxima: Almost didn't want to go on the test drive. Didn't like the looks of the car, inside or out. I liked the previous version much better. Went on the obligatory test drive, and ruled it out immediately.

Infinity I30: My husband and I went to the Infiniti showroom for the unveiling of the new I30. Again, we liked the previous version much better. My husband walked out the door when they unveiled it, so voila, no test drive!

Saab 9-3 & 9-5: Test drove the 9-3 and liked it but didn't love it. Came back from the test drive and the dealer had a 9-5 waiting for me to drive. I loved it! I thought this was going to be "the car". Very comfortable, nice exterior and interior and lots of safety equipment. Nothing not to like. My husband talked me out of it for a few reasons. One being there is only one Saab dealer within a large distance from us, and he felt the Saab dealership representation wasn't enough around the country, should we need to move. He also had friends with Saabs that had numerous problems with them.

BMW 323: Like the Mercedes, I had high expectations from this car. By this time I had driven the Audi 1.8 before this test drive, so I had something to really compare it with. As soon as I got into the BMW, I didn't like the interior. I thought the Audi was head and shoulders above BMW in fit and finish. We went for a lengthy test drive, and I wasn't impressed at all. I couldn't understand what all the hype was about. This was also a 5 spd. BMW, so I thought I would enjoy it even more. I just kept on saying to myself, "am I missing something"?

Volvo S40: Thought it was very comfortable, but again, the fit and finish were not the sign of a $29,000 car, and my husband thought it drove very choppy and leaned alot in corners. I did like this car, though. I would certainly consider an S80 if I were to need more room in the future. I thought out of the all the car manufacturers, Volvo would probably end up being my next car, or at least a viable contender.

Audi A4: Loved it immediately. Test drove the 1.8 first in 5 spd. Didn't want to take it back. Loved everything about it. Luckily my boss had a '97 2.8 5 spd., which he loaned us for the weekend to see how we like living with it before we make the ultimate decision. I couldn't get my husband out of the car all weekend. I told him he had to sleep and eat, and it didn't matter. We both looked over the car with a fine tooth comb, and couldn't find anything we didn't like in 48 hrs. We were impressed with everything, plus the ride and quattro of course, and felt the changes on the Y2K model would make it even better.

At this point, any other car I pointed out or mentioned didn't mean anything anymore. We both knew the Audi was the perfect car for us, plus the fact that we live in NJ, so the quattro would be an extra plus (which it has). We both love the car, in fact I had to hide the extra remote so my husband wouldn't take the car every chance he got. He seemed to forget he had his own car!

Glad we made this decision. If you are leasing, I would think you have nothing to lose. With the free maintenance for the entire lease period, you can't go wrong. Good luck to you!
    Are we related? Amazing that we essentially looked at the same cars and had precisely the same impressions of each.

TL: The last TL I drove had the same problem with the driver side airbag cover. I could pull up about an inch of the lower left corner. None of the sheetmetal seams fit properly...hood, doors, trunk, etc. Door seams were all wider in places than others, as were the trunk seams. I checked 8 TLs on the lot and every one had the same problem. No fold down rear seatbacks, telescoping steering wheel, trunklid struts (hinges really suck) and you'd think they'd at least include a nice chrome threshold with "Acura." And a FOOTBRAKE????

Mercedes 230: I too had high hopes but took one look and walked away. Didn't even sit in it or drive it. Did nothing to arouse any interest.

Maxima: Give me a break. Why didn't Nissan just copy a Neon rear end exactly? Man what an ugly, cheap-looking car on the outside. Inside wasn't bad but nothing special. Old Maximas are much more appealing to me but don't like the way they handle, although the 5 speeds are fast.

Infiniti I-30: Again, high expectations and it looked geat in ads but when I actually saw one, it was physically disappointing, although it has an excellent interior IMO. Seats are VERY comfortable because of soft leather and vertical seams instead of seams running across your butt as in the TL. But the ride is choppy and not what you'd expect from a luxury car. Good warranty and customer service but prefer previous I-30s.

'97 I-30: Nice car! One of my final choices. Off lease w/1 owner, excellent condition. Great ride, excellent comfort, excellent power, lots of interior room, still in factory warranty, nicer, more classic styling than 2000 I-30, but the rims suck and in general doesn't get the blood flowing like the A4. But it's an attractive car with incredible comfort and I'm still thinking about it. Plus it's about half the price of the A4 and probably will be more reliable even though it's a '97.

BMW 323i: I have a good friend who is the master mechanic at a BMW dealership in Charleston, SC (or rather he used to be...just took another job a couple weeks ago). Anyway, he's always told me the 3 series Bimmers are not too reliable and a real [non-permissible content removed] to work on. Certain elements involved in the 3 series are prone to failure. They're also more costly to insure than the 5 series...at least according to GEICO! His favorite BMW is an '88 528e 5 speed. According to him, they were the most reliable car they ever produced, easy to work on and will easily go 300K with proper care. He has one with 196K and considers it "broken in." I've loacted a gold '88 528e locally and am trying my best to get ahold of it to restore. Back to the 323. The styling does get the blood going...very cool looking car, but the interior left me cold as well. Fit and finish didn't look as good as A4 and it has much less storage capacity. Since I windsurf and am a musician, I have to be able carry some equipment...know what I mean?!

Volvo S-40: I gave you my impressions in a previous post. It's ok but doesn't come across as a near $30K vehicle equipped they way I'd want. The black rubber side guards make the car look cheap to me. Even the salesperson said they hear that statement often.

Saab: Didn't try the Saab after hearing too many reports of problems.

Diamante LS: Nothing. Not a thing exciting about this car. Noisy on the highway. Fit/finish/reliability issues.

Audi A4: As you know, I like just about everything with this car. Just wish it was a LITTLE bit larger. I'm waiting to hear if they discovered anything relating to the exhaust smell and rear end noise. If all is ok, it may be in my garage soon. But I'm into creature comfort and reliability, so am still considering the '97 I-30 at $17,900. New rims would make that car look great. Let you know. It's been nice "talking" to you and I'll let you know what happens. Enjoy your A4!
    Small world, isn't it? We obviously have similar opinions on cars.

I happen to think the Infiniti I30 (last generation) was very nice. I was going to buy one before I bought my Pathfinder 2 years ago. I fell in love with it. I have owned Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans, and I personally think the Nissans were by far the most reliable. If I didn't get the A4, I think my husband and I would have compromised on the new I30. I agree that it is very comfortable. My Pathfinder was extremely comfortable.

This time around, though, instead of looking for steadfast reliability, we wanted something fun to drive, along with AWD, and were willing to give up a little bit of reliability to get that. So far, I have owned the A4 for 4 months, almost 4,000 miles, and nothing except for a defective remote.

In your case, because you are leasing, it wouldn't matter what car you got. You would be covered for the warranty period regardless. If you live north of the Mason Dixon line and are experiencing snow today like we are in NJ, quattro would be screaming through my brain!

Good luck, and again, please post the outcome.

BTW, Melange was my first in exterior colors. Silver was my second. Because my husband desperately wanted a silver car in whatever we were getting, I compromised, but if I were single, I would have gotten the Melange. I think both colors look great on the A4 (self cleaning too!).
    I just drove the '97 I-30 again and it's out of the running. On the previous test drive I didn't get it out on the freeway but did this time...speeds of 80-120. At speeds above 80, the car vibrated throughout, and the steering wheel vibrated vertically...not wheel balance...just continuous bouncing and I suspect something wrong with front end. It also tended to wander and drift, which of course, the A4Q definitely DOES NOT do! Love the way the quattro tracks!

I'm in Huntsville, AL and haven't had any snow. Today is around 72 degrees. I've been watching the Weather Channel and all the problems in Chicago and the NY area. What a mess! I'll take this any day! We do get a lot of rain and have lots of hills so the quattro will be beneficial. I also have a house in Ft. Lauderdale and spend a good deal of time there, so with even more rain down there, the quattro will come in handy. Strange thing is I lived in Anchorage, AK and had the 2WD Subaru wagon at the time and never needed 4WD.

My Subaru was silver, which would be my only other choice for the A4. If the car I'm considering happened to be silver, I'd like it just as much. Even though you didin't get your melange, you still got a good color. Another good thing about silver is if you have a little fender bender, etc, you can just spray some grey primer on it temporarily and it won't be terribly noticeable. That's what I did with the Subaru.

So anyway, it looks like the A4 is it, if they check it out and all is ok...and if I decide to go for it. Talked to them today and they're backed up so haven't had a chance to look at it. The Audi manager & service department were very cool though and said they want the car to be perfect the next time I drive it, so they want to go through it thoroughly. That's what I like to hear! Take care.
    I have to say that when they prepped my Audi, it was the best prep job of any car I ever purchased. They went over it with a fine tooth comb. I could not find one thing to fault them with. I am very picky, and didn't even see a spot anywhere (great detailing job!).

Go for it, because as you know, the quattro is great in the rain. If I lived in Florida, I would definitely get the quattro.

Looking forward to hear if you end up purchasing.
    You haven't had the wet braking problem several A4Q owners are complaining about on the Audi World forum?
    Not at all. In fact, there has been no complaints from '00 on the Audiworld forum. I believe it is with cars before the '00 year.

I also don't know if this is a "real" problem, or if the consensus is from 22 year old drivers who never owned another car, and think this is abnormal. Most of my cars during a heavy rainstorm had some delay in braking. Most manufacturers, including Audi, suggest that you apply the brakes a little before going out into a soaking rainstorm. This makes perfect sense. In fact, strangely enough, I think my brakes work better in the rain.
  • crazedcrazed Member Posts: 4
    I considering the 2.8, I favor Black on Black combination, it's a beauty !
    I need to know of any good or favorable experiences with Dealers and Service departments, who are Customer oriented and honest:
    There ar # dealers in my area:
    IRA/CLAIR/BERNARDI
    any recommendations

Also is Warranty Gold thee way to go on the Extended Warranty and if so when is the time to purchase.

Thanks
    You probably want to go to www.audiworld.com, and then go to the A4 forum. There are a number of "Bostonites" there, and they will gladly guide you to the best dealer in that area. I know alot of them use Clair, especially for service, and alot of people on the forum order accessories from Clair, including me, all the time.

BTW, I have a '00 2.8 and LOVE IT!

Good luck!
    About the extended warranty, I am probably going to use Warranty Gold. I looked into alot of different companies, and they offered the most comprehensive warranty. I will probably get it about 2 years into ownership. By then, I will definitely know if I want to keep the car, or if life situations are going to warrant me to get something else. I am going to go with the Diamond Plan with -0- deductible. I would not want to own any car without an extended warranty.
    Thanks for you help will check outboth:
    CLAIR and Warranty Gold
    Boston
  • neonheroneonhero Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to purchase a A4 within 2 weeks and I was wondering what people paid for theirs. I visited few dealers, but they seemed like they were pulling my leg, and giving me the run around. All I'm looking for is a A$ w/ 5spd, Quattro, and xenon headlights. And the lowest quote that I got was for $25865 + tax. That's only $900 off MSRP. Is this too high?
  • neonheroneonhero Member Posts: 2
    A4 & 1.8T
  • brooksbarrettbrooksbarrett Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 CS90 2.8 (pre A4, but the same car) and am having a long term fuel starvation problem when the engine is cold. Specifically, shortly after startup and only when the engine is cold, the engine starts to act as tough it is not choked properly. It sputters, backfires and if you put the accelerator to the floor it responds, but only for a moment. It then begins to sputter and pop. After about thirty seconds of this very annoying activity, all is fine and the car runs properly. It has been to an authorized Audi Service center which told me that it is because carbon has built up in the cylinder heads and is absorbing the fuel. (Oh, Really?) They decarbonized it and checked all systems on the computer. All is in spec supposedly. In the meantime, It still does it and mileage is less than 20 around town and no better than 21 or so on the road. Any ideas?
  • kentf1kentf1 Member Posts: 4
    I love A4 since it's introduction in 95. And i had considered this car when i was looking to buy a car in this price range. I ended up getting the TL from Acura. The primary reason is the car is for family use and the A4 is just too small for 5 people ( yes 5 ppl..) so i had to go for a better car. If the car if only for myself...i am probably driving a A4 2.8 Q on the road....
  • kentf1kentf1 Member Posts: 4
    for my post above..~
    i meant the TL is bigger..no better as mentioned..
    sorry..
    Don't know if it will help, but I just made what I consider an excellent deal on a 2000 A4 1.8TQ w/tip, sport pkg, conv pkg & navigation for $150 over invoice...but I really worked on it with the sales manager, who was a pleasure to deal with. They delivered it on 2/28 and what a nice car! The dealership here is fantastic with customer satisfaction awards all over the place and it was a wonderful experience. They gave me the car to drive for a couple days so I could really check it out, which most dealers won't do. Most dealers won't even let you DRIVE it by yourself, let alone take it home over night. I think seeing it parked in my garage the next morning is what sold me! Smart sales procedure. Something else that impressed me - I had a few questions about certain aspects of the A4, so the service manager went on a test ride with me and took the time to explain everything, then took me on a little tour of the service department. Very cool dealership.

Anyway, invoice on the car you want is $24,071, so the quote you got is $1,794 over inv. which is more than 7% over. From what I've read on the AudiWorld forum, 4%-5% is average so I'd look for a better deal. You said you visited a few dealers. Did any of them seem like they'd be at least willing to deal or did they all say "that's it - take it or leave it?" If so, that would be a shame because that's usually an indicator of what to expect from the whole operation, including service. My dealership's attitude was "we want your business, so what can we do to get you into an Audi?"

Good luck and I hope you get the car you want. It's a great ride!
    I am wondering if anyone can relay imformation on the performance of the 1.8 vs.2.8, with the stress of city driving and high level of traffic on a regular basis.

Which engine is more likely capable of handling the stop and go situations?

Also how about purcahse prices are the Audi's close to MSRP or not?
    Hello from Boston.
    Thanks
  • jitbug5jitbug5 Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyone who can tell me the pros and cons of cloth,leatherette and leather?

Also, i'm looking at a 98' with pinstripes. Is it possible to remove the pinstripes without leaving any sign of them being there?

Thanks in advance!
    I don't know much about pinstripes, but there are certain types that are glued on. These can come off with no problem. If they are painted on, it will probably be a different ball game.

As far as leather, leatherette and cloth, all are good choices. It really depends on your needs.

Cloth will stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer than leather or leatherette. It will also be less slippery than the other two, so if you are into spirited driving, this might be your best choice.

Leather breathes a little better than leatherette, so it won't get as warm in the summer.

The leatherette fooled me the first time I drove the 1.8. As far as it being warmer in the summer than leather or cloth, that might not be the case, as the climate control is very good.
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    I am looking to buy a 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with sunroof, sports pkg, and bose. Any idea's on what is an acceptable price for this car?? Also has anyone put 125,000 miles or so on an A4? And if so, what probs have you had?

Thanks,
    - Anthony
  • carcrazy5carcrazy5 Member Posts: 1
    I am very seriously interested in the A4 2.8. But the new car price is a bit stiff. I can get a new TL for about 5k less. However, there's no comparison between the handling of the two cars. Any thoughts on a 99 or 98 A4 2.8. What am I missing out on?
    adg44

An acceptable price over invoice for the majority of the country is generally 4-1/2%-6%. You would be doing very well to get a deal for less than that.

As far as breaking the 100,000 mark, there are a few people who have over 100,000 miles. You can also find out about that at www.audiworld.com. I have 5,000 flawless miles so far.

carcrazy5

I also test drove the TL after driving the A4 2.8, and ran to my nearest Audi dealer and bought a 2.8 on the spot. As far as I am concerned, it is worth every bit the premium over the TL. As far as model years are concerned, there have been many changes between model years. You might want to go to www.audiworld.com. They have lists of the changes. If they are not important to you, then I would go for a used model.

Good luck to both of you!
  • rickfrickf Member Posts: 1
    If you live in one of the states greenLight.com services you should try them. They were able to get me a 2000 A4 2.8 Quattro for $500 over invoice. If you don't live in one of the states they work in, you could try carOrder.com or carDirect.com.
  • twadamstwadams Member Posts: 1
    My dealer says for build dates after April, 2000, Audi is discontinuing the availability of manual transmissions on 2.8 sedans w/o quattro. I called Audi Client Relations and they said my dealer is wrong. Does anyone know the facts? This is the only A4 combination I am interested and my order was placed last week. At this point, I am definately pissed at someone. I'd like to know whether it should be the dealer (b.s.ing me to get me to buy quattro) or Audi (discontinuing the precise car I was buying).
  • jaykoo2jaykoo2 Member Posts: 5
    I am thinking buying an 1.8T Quattro in September timefram. I've seen the new 2001 picture in last month's Car & Driver magzine. I have some questions if anbody know the answers:

1) What is the available date for 2001 models?
    2) Other than the style, wider/longer dimensions, what else new will go into the A4 1.8T? Would Audi chip the engine to 180 hp like the TT?
    3) I am picking the 1.8T over the 2.8 for fuel economy. Is this a valid concern? Should I even go one step further by picking a manual 1.8T?
    4) How are you Quattro owners out there feel about the reliability and the performance?

Jay
    I am thinking buying an 1.8T Quattro in September timefram. I've seen the new 2001 picture in last month's Car & Driver magzine. I have some questions if anbody know the answers:

2) Other than the style, wider/longer dimensions, what else new will go into the A4 1.8T? Would Audi chip the engine to 180 hp like the TT?
    3) I am picking the 1.8T over the 2.8 for fuel economy. Is this a valid concern? Should I even go one step further by picking a manual 1.8T?
    4) How are you Quattro owners out there feel about the reliability and the performance?

Jay

Jay
  • clappingmonkeyclappingmonkey Member Posts: 7
    the picture of the "A4" in caranddriver is a fake. there are no substantial changes in store for the 2001 model year as far as i know.
  • koffedrnkrkoffedrnkr Member Posts: 16
    here's the deal on 2001 models straight from audi's vehicle order guide....the 1.8T now makes 170hp up from 155hp and is now classified as a ULEV (ultra low emission vehicle). the SIDEGUARD head airbag system is now standard on all A4's. there is also the option of adding ESP (electronic stability program). the xenon headlight and audi navigation options have been eliminated. production of 2001 models is supposed to start in may
    jaykoo2

The newly designed A4 models are not supposed to hit the US shores until Fall, 2001, so the A4's coming out this Fall should be the same as the ones out now, with a few little upgrades.

Koffeedrnkr

Where did you get your information from? Try posting that on www.audiworld.com and see the response you get. The 2001 models will not be here until Fall, 2001, and will be 2002 models. First of all, the 1.8 A4 makes 150 HP, not 155. If they bump up the HP at all, it will probably be to 180 (like the TT), not 170, and where do you get information like you havem when the dealers don't know anything until about a month or two before the unveiling. That's almost 1-1/2 years away. I'd really like to see where your source of information is coming from. What are you talking about "Audi's Vehicle Order Guide". If noone on Audiworld has any information, you sure are getting your facts a little WRONG!
  • dadivinerdadiviner Member Posts: 4
    www.audiworld has a link with a PDF of the actuall Audi documentation received by dealers.

My wait has finally paid off!!
    I am on Audiworld alot, and have not seen what you are speaking about. According to the enthusiasts there will be no changes until Fall 2001. If you have other information from Audiworld, I would appreciate if you can put the link in here. I am very curious.

Thanks.
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    Here's the link that was posted in AudiWorld in the S4 forum regarding the alleged order guide for the 2001 A4 / S4.

It's in Acrobat and not very readible. Looks like a scan of a fax.

I don't know if it's authentic, but if it's true, the 2001 A4 1.8T will have 170 bhp.

http://www.mit.edu/~eltonl/2001a4.pdf