Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• audifanaticaudifanatic Member Posts: 3
    I was just curious on what u guys thought of the following deal... i live down south where there is no snow so i'm looking at a 2001 manual, 1.8t, front track, celebration package, sport package, and bose. they seem to have let me have it a little too quickly (not enough trips to the manager and back for my tastes).. i was just wondering if i should try to go lower or if that is a really good price and i'm just a good haggler.. i'm getting about 3-4% above the invoice price thru edmunds
    any thoughts?

h hatch -- what dealer are u dealing with in SC? the one in columbia or one of the ones in NC? and do u know if there are any other dealers in SC besides columbia?

does any one know if there is another listing of dealers that i can access besides the one on the audi website?
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    Yeah I think 3-4% over invoice sounds good. You said the dealer moved a little bit too fast, sounds like it's a car already in the lot, right?About the Bose sound system, have you compared that to the stock sound system?? I haven't but people said it doesn't worth it as they claim they can make the stock unit sound as good as the Bose unit. I have the Bose system too and although it can make radio reception sounds like CD quality, unless you do the hidden electronic equalizer settings, there's not too much bass in the unit. My suggestion is, try a non-Bose and a Bose unit and see if you want to pay for the extra $650. I would trade that for Xenon any minute....didn't want to wait for the 4 months if I special order one and wanted to get a better deal off a car sitting in the lot. About other dealers in your area, go to yp.yahoo.com and "Change Location" to your own city, then type in "Audi" and all the dealers, in order of distance, will pop up. I assume, however, all your local dealers should show up in the AoA website though.

Yeah I talked to a local MTM dealer and he told me all the history/family members of JHM. As you said I heard many people saying good thing about their chipped cars, but I don't know how many people actually didn't say the bad things when they happened. The additional torque and hp is attracting.....but right now cash is tight and I can't afford an engine rebuilt or big fix cuz I chipped the car.....oh well.

Billy
  • schwitzer1schwitzer1 Member Posts: 64
    Mine is just like the one at which you're looking, with the exception that I added the cold weather package. I can't talk about price, but I know that I really like the car set up that way. I like it a lot.
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Mark-- hmmmm, some good information--thanx! I was going to forget about chipping but now will consider it again. Why was the dealership involved with installing the chip again?? You can send ECU directly to Hoppen in Florida (?), right? I just read this guys story over at AW; not about his bumper but about the dealer not helping him out with a starting problem because he is chipped, blamed it on the chip and told him his warranty was void. http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/574924.phtml

Mike-- yeah, as Billy mentioned, all authorized Audi dealerships will be listed on the Audiusa.com web-site--just increase the mileage from your zip code if you aren't finding all the listed dealers that are closest to you. http://www.audiusa.com/dealerlocate_frame.htm

Karen-- I had a dream about you last night :P ...well maybe not speciifically about you but integrated into my dream was this A4 driving down the road with a tree growing out of the sunroof (which later turned out to be a pot plant, lol) and this wasn't even the weirdest part of the dream! but I won't bore you with all the other details, lol. Guess I'll have to skip the spicy food at night!

if you ate the spicy food because of "the munchies."
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I had my dealer install the chip in the 1.8turbo for the following reasons:

1. I do not think I would "do it correctly" -- there are many tasks I AM comfortable with, this was not one of them.

2. With "full disclosure" and co operation from the dealer, I figured I would get "warranty service" should I ever need it -- in other words, no lies or half truths to my "friendly" dealer.

They actually helped Hoppen diagnose the problem. According to Hoppen, there are dealers that offer chipped versions of Audi's as a "dealer option." Apparently this is true in both Europe and North American Audi dealers. My dealer has never gone this far, but I have seen A4's -- brand new -- with ground effects, suspension bits, and wheel/tire combos, recaro seats and special sound system "add ons" sold as dealer special versions. It (dealer customization) is fairly popular with some of the VW dealers around here too.

Anyway, I figured I want the dealer on my side.

I had the dealer replace the entire suspension on my A8 with an S8 suspension (in 1997) I ordered from Hoppen, too -- again other than two all wheel alignments (one of which I had to pay for) there were no issues of warranty or lacxk of dealer co operation. The dealer seemed to enjoy the challenge -- the opportunity.

I don't think I would tear an Audi engine apart, modify it and expect the warranty to cover it tho.
    Hehe a plant grew out of the sunroof. Maybe you should write a letter to VW and tell them not to put that little flower vase in the VW New Bug.....otherwise it can literally grow and get thru the sunroof.

Geez Mark, I should drive all the way to Cincinnatti and get mine chipped then. I never heard people saying in Chicago that Audi dealers would do that. I guess however, if the engine fails, I need to have it towed all the way to Cincinnatti though :< LOL. I figured if the dealer asks me why my ECU is chipped, I'd say, "Oh I was eating potato chips in the car the other day and one of them ends up there."

Hehe. One more coworker said my car is nice. Beautiful day, isn't it.

Billy
  • bkricharbkrichar Member Posts: 1
    Someone is selling a white 1996 A4 2.8 Quattro 5spd, leather, bose, sunroof, 54k. The only deal is ac just stopped functioning. He's offered the car for 13k as is. or 14.5K to get it after he gets the ac fixed. So i have a few inqueries for the group. I think 13k is a great deal. Anyone have any estimates on the range of ac work that might need to be done. I know that '96 was the first year of the A4. The reliability isn't as great as the >'97's. However still good.

I'm interested in opinions on the overall quality of the 96's. Looking for anecdotes if possible. And opinions on whether i should take the 1.5l break and fix the AC myself. Thanks for the help.

-brian
    please email if you have anything especially interesting. ncmusic@pobox.com

ps what sorta of modding options are available to boost horsepower.
    Brian-- Although I have a 1.8t which is more easily modded, I just read this over on Audiworld.com on an engine mod that would increase hp to 230 on the 2.8. In fact, the guy on AW was asking the same question on the same model year ('96) as you are. Here's the link that was given as a response: http://pub20.ezboard.com/fcomputersarebadfrm3.showMessage?topicID=15.topic

As far as the A/C goes, I had estimates of anywhere from $1,500 to $2,000 to have the air conditioning fixed on my old Ford Probe so I don't think the figure you were given would be too far off.

Billy--

lol... hope I didn't offend you with that request pertaining to the "Meet the Members" board. After I thought about it, I guess that my request isn't really that practical because people may want to respond to what new members have to say. So I guess I may go back and delete that post; sorry about that--my bad. But what do you think about creating some other topics? I'm thinking of a few and perused the other owner's clubs to see what they had. Here are some suggestions:

* Owner's Problems
    * Regional Events and Gatherings
    * Manufacturer's Recalls and TSB's
    * New Car Buying Experiences
    * Dealership Service Experiences
    * Accessories
    * Modifications
    * Driving Experiences
    * New Owner's Questions
    * New Car Pricing
    * Used Car Pricing
    * Care and Maintenance
    * Warranty Issues

When the new 2002 arrives, we obviously will have to split the group into separate discussions because that car will have an all new set of parameters than will our cars (with the possible exception of the 1.8t engine and Quattro IV which I understand will both be carried over; other than that, the car will essentially be brand new). We should also be thinking of a name to distinguish ourselves from the new model--I was thinking about "Classic A4 Owner's Club" (for MY '96 thru '01) as opposed to the "*New* A4 Owner's Club" but I don't know about that; what's your take on this? --or am I just racking my brain unnecessarily over all of this?? :P

Why don't you see if there's any topics you want to add that I missed and as our *spokesperson* lol, contact Karen and see what you two can work out. If you need any help, let me know. Thanx, Billy.

PS: Does anybody else have any suggestions??? Chime in now! Please don't hesitate to speak up! lol
    I thought I knew all the internet shorthand, but for the life of me BTW (by the way), I cannot figure out IMO (in my opinion) what lol means. I used to think it meant Lots of Luck, because I have seen it time and again in e-mails, message boards and even the odd post it note -- but now I just can't figure out what lol means in the above context.

BTW, I am in favor of the topics presented above in post 1058. I would love to add something like "coming attractions" tho. The cars "in the pipeline" are always a topic here and in the enthusiast magazines that appear (because of their frequency, at least) to be popular and a cause for lively discussion, IMO.

Thanks for clearing up the lol issue for me.
    LOL means "laughing out loud"
    ROTFLOL means "rolling on the floor laughing out loud"
    ROTFLMAO means "rolling on the floor laughing my [non-permissible content removed] off"

Have an Ice day (Indianapolis Ice NHL minor league hockey)
    Mark-- hahahaha, sorry about that... I'll be a little more discrete in my laughing out loud. :P btw, am I missing something about chipping? Is the ECU that difficult to remove and re-install by DIY? When you mentioned "do it correctly," I began to question if there is something I'm missing pertaining to chipping. I was always under the impression that all I had to do is remove my ECU, send it to the *chipper,* wait for them to modify the ECU and send it back to me, and then re-install the ECU back into the car. Since I'm a *newbie* can you quickly fill me in on this? --TIA (thanx in advance). ps: thanx for the input on the topic of "in the pipeline" ...yes, I can see where that would create some spirited discussions. Billy, are you listening? :P

Louie-- well, at least I've been able to control myself to the extent that I really haven't rotflmao here too much yet! whew! ;-)

Brian-- MAN!!! I didn't look that closely at that web-page link that I gave you before I posted it but *holy smokes* --it's gonna cost upwards of $4,000 (and maybe more than $5,000 if done with the complementary exhaust system) to gain that additional 40-50 hp.!!!!! yikes!!!! ...and this Justin guy claims that even this is much more *reasonable* than Vortrag. I know that adding a super-charger to that engine is expensive but now I'm gathering that there just is no in-expensive way to boost this engine's hp. Now I understand why the 1.8t engine is so popular--chipping is downright cheap compared to what it costs to mod a 2.8!

Billy-- I see that Karen has already added some additional topics to the A4 owner's board.
    Just got back from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I helped with a group of Honor Roll students, who earned a trip there for Community Day. It's nice to see that there are still good kids who know how to behave.
    No cars on the track, but a bunch of them in the garages with mechanics swarming over them. Mr. Hemelgarn of Hemelgarn racing was signing autographs for the kids, and the local news team was there doing the same thing. It was a very cool thing. I'd bet that there were well over 100 school busses.
    If you happen to watch ABC sports, and see the guy with the open collar blue-and-white striped shirt, I'm the teacher in the purple polo shirt leading kids past him.
    The car that I was chipping was about $40,000. The dealer charged me about $100 -- I figured it would be "cheap" insurance. Give me a 5.1 surround sound system with a dual feed horn High Def Sat dish to install, set up and "tune" -- and I am fearless. Messing around, no matter how reputedly "straightforward and simple", with an Audi 1.8t engine made me as uncomfortable as I have seen many of my well educated and handy friends when it comes to setting up a home theater system properly.

We each have our strenghts and comfort zones -- which is to say, you sound like the chip swap would totally be a DIY for YOU. It probably isn't that hard -- but you have confidence in this area, don't do what I did if you can do it yourself.

On the other hand, should you:

Need any help setting up and balancing your Dolby Digital, DTS, THX surround sound system with wide screen high defitinion video -- I'm your man. Hell, by trade I am a computer programmer -- not an automotive computer technician -- different animals IMO.

Sorry I made it seem more complicated than it surely is.
  • t2z2t2z2 Member Posts: 2
    New guy, here...so, sorry if this is a stupid question that's already been answered.
    As I consider the A4...two questions:
    1.How much difference is there between the 1.8t and 2.8? Haven't driven the 2.8, yet...but expect it's a smoother ride...but several thousand dollars worth of "smooth"?
    2.Quattro or No Quattro? Why?

Thanks for the help, folks.
    and I missed like 1 million posts. Incredible.

Scirocco/Karen, yes I saw the extra boards and they're fantastic.....and yeah those topics you suggested look great.....EXCEPT I don't want my car to be called "Classic" YET.....I don't know, maybe call the 2002+ ones "New" and nothing for the 96-01's.....so 02+ will be New A4's and pre 02 will be A4's.....how's that??

mmmmm just ordered those chrome OEM exhaust tips from Claire and can't wait for them to get here by Friday..... :>

t2z2, lots of differences between 1.8T and 2.8 and you can decide for yourself if the 2.8 is worth the extra $$ for the luxury items like power seats or leather, or a bigger engine and such. About Quattro, it all depends on where you live. If you got snow in the winter, you will appreciate Quattro. If you do spirited driving or take cloverleafs double the posted speed, you will appreciate Quattro. If you want higher resale value, you definitely want Quattro. If you want to launch faster at a red light with no wheel spin, you WANT Quattro. If neither of all those apply, get a front trak.

Gotta run now.....be back soon.....

Billy
    Billy-- heh, so you don't like calling our cars "classic" yet, eh?? ok, but I think we still have to designate our A4's with some adjective to clearly differentiate them from the new model. I've noticed that there were some (but not much yet) concern over at AW too as far as distinguishing their discussion groups for the new and old models. So for now, I guess that we can just call them *old and new.*

Tom-- Billy did address some things but let me clear one thing up-- "smoother ride" will not be one of the things that distinguishes the 1.8t from the 2.8. The *rides* will be similar (only difference will be that the 2.8 comes with 16" tires and rims standard while the 1.8t comes with 15" tires and rims standard and the 2.8 is slightly heavier because it's engine). The suspension set ups that determine the *ride* will be similar in both cars. You can order a sport pkg. with both cars which will give you a slightly harsher ride but slightly better handling and would include different shocks, springs, sway bars, and larger (lower profile) tires and taller rims. If you were referring to *smoother* in referrence to the engine, then yes, the 2.8 will have the "smoothness" of a typical 6 cylinder engine and since it's naturally aspirated, will have absolutely no lag upon acceleration as turbos often have (although our 1.8t, in its stock form, has very little turbo-lag because of it's low pressure turbo). Our 1.8t's definitely have that certain "roughness" (dang, I hesitate in describing it like that) of a 4-cylinder engine in that it's a little noisier at idle and highway crusing than a typical 6-cyliner engine would be. Those of us that have the 1.8t engine just love them! They are more reliable than the 2.8, have twice been on the Ward's "10 Best Engines" list, attain better gas mileage, are more easily modded to increase hp. and have that certain flat torque curve that makes them a blast to drive! And remember, the actual stock hp of the two cars isn't that far apart, 170 hp (closer to 180) vrs. 190--there will be a larger gap between the two cars in the 2002 models (3.0 engine will have 220 hp). Other than that, the only thing Billy left out is the 2.8 has wood interior trim if that's important to you. So to sum it up, power seats, leather interior, relatively small 6-cylinder engine and wood interior trim is what you are paying $4,000+ for.

Mark-- thank you for the clarification. It made a lot of sense. And yes, if I ever need advice on my home entertainment electronics, it's nice to know who I can go to! :P
    I know she hates to be called "old"......OK i'm talking about my silver babe and not my girlfriend :>

By the way, I believe the 2.8 doesn't come standard with leather, so it's an option. Of course it's a "luxury" item for the 2.8 cuz 1.8T's don't have leather seats as an option.

Yeah the 2.8's have wood trims, but I like the aluminum trim we got in our 1.8T's. Too bad it's not those shiny aluminum pieces the S4's have.....

I've met my fellow A4 buddy today and he got a 01.5 2.8 w/all options except Navigation system..... oh yeah that's an option available to the 2.8 but not the 1.8T. Anyhow he got the black Audi Sports floor mats and they look cool....he also has the opal grey interior (w/leather) and those mats look alright with the interior.....I might get some if Clair is fast enough to send me those OEM exhaust tips.....mmmm good project for this Memorial Day weekend :>

Thinking about the refurb CD Changer.....$135 sounds like a good deal.....check it out..... www.refurbdepot.com

Billy
    Oh man! sorry! Believe me, I DO feel your pain! I can just imagine how you must feel! Here's my $.02:

* Ignore it if you can. New cars are going to get scratches and dings in time. I know the first one is always the hardest to ignore and accept. This of course is the cheapest solution to the problem.

* Check with your insurance company. Does your collision cover it?--and is it within your deductible? See this thread that I read over at AW about a guy that was asking for advice on a similar problem although he has custom wheels: http://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/msgs/37485.phtml

* Post your problem over at AW on the "Wheels and Tires" board and ask if there is anybody that wants to sell only one wheel (describe the wheel). http://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/ You can also check on Ebay's Audi section to see if anybody is selling that particular rim but usually they are selling sets over there but it's worth at least checking to see.

* If you decide to buy a brand new OEM rim, check with Clair Express Parts in Boston. Their prices are considerably less than most local dealers. http://www.clairparts.com/shop/accessories.cfm?do=list&&cat_id=237
    That link is the page is for the A4 wheel section but unless you have the RS4 wheel, your rim probably won't be listed on that page but you can call Clair and they can get any Audi part for you. I noticed that the OEM RS4 wheel is $399.95 so I would assume your 17" sport pkg wheel would be around that same price or less. Or is the RS4 rim the ones that are in the sport pkg? http://www.clairparts.com/shop/accessories.cfm?do=buy&&pid=1547

Good luck and if I can think of anything else, I'll let you know. Keep us informed.

Clair shipped my mats pretty fast; I was impressed! Yeah, the sport logo ones are pretty sharp looking--I think they match the logo on the steering wheel (well, not exactly but somewhat, lol) --but I wanted to save a little money so I ordered the A4 logo mats which look pretty good to me (same mats but different logo). btw, I hear that the logo on the steering wheel scratches fairly easily so be careful everyone!

Oh yeah, you're correct --leather is an OPTION with the 2.8. My apologies to Tom that I didn't make that too clear.

Hey, can you post the exact page over at refurbdepot that you found the CD changer on? I couldn't find it when I took a quick look over there. Is it an exact fit for our CD changer compartment in the trunk? --TIA
    This guy got his customs REPAIRED at the "Wheel Collision Center" for $138 but I don't know if they could do that for OEM's or not but don't see why not --worth checking into, though. (this is in the same thread that I gave you previously but just thought I'd give you the particular post indivdually) http://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/msgs/37512.phtml

Here's the link to the "Wheel Collision Center" --pretty interesting site. I'll have to bookmark this site for future reference. http://www.wheelcollision.com/index.html
  • t2z2t2z2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the thoughts, guys.
    You're right...the "smooth" reference was related to the engine performance. I do consider the rest of the cosmetic differences of negotiable interest: power seats are nice...but the manual adjustments on the 1.8 don't seem very troublesome. and...the option for leather "seemed" important, but the salesman was really pimping the leatherette...suggesting it was easier to care for than the real thing. Any thoughts from those who know???

I'll drive a quattro, this weekend...here, in Texas, slippery weather is rarely a problem...while the advantages are certainly something to consider.

Now...(at the risk of slings and arrows)the question becomes A4...TL...or 300M. Such decisions!
  • poc322poc322 Member Posts: 22
    I'm looking seriously at an audi A4 2.8 guattro (along with the Volvo S60 T5), and i'm wondering if anyone has dealt with the Audi dealer in Austin TX and what their experience has been?
    Basically i'm starting to narrow down my choice and i'm looking for people's experience with their service reps and such.
    What makes you happy? The V6 has a bit more power, but there's nothing that makes me grin like the sound of a compressor spooling up. That hissing whine that tells me that exhaust gasses are hitting the turbine just makes me smile every time. I'll take the turbo over the normally aspirated every time.

It doesn't hurt that my great grandfather practically invented the turbocharger.

(there's an extra space in the second url...delete it if you want to go there.

http://www.cruise-in.com/resource/cismar03.htm

http://www.indy500.com/press/1999/ schwitzer-081899.html

Louie-- Wow! That is so kewl! Thanks for posting that article about your grandfather... very interesting!

Tom-- I've said this before but I just love leatherette! It lasts *forever* and looks very classy for plastic (lol). I've had leatherette in my old Scirocco and as I've said before, it still looked new after 10+ years. It doesn't stretch out of shape like leather does. Real leather tends to start looking badly after a couple of years it seems to me. Some of the drawbacks of leatherette are:
    * lacks the smell of leather
    * scratches fairly easily
    * will *melt* if a smoker is careless
    * will feel hotter in the summer
    and colder in the winter than cloth
    * may/will not "feel" as luxurious as leather

Get Quattro! You'll also have benefits even on dry pavement. And the resale value is much better.
  • alexcalexc Member Posts: 3
    I wonder why anyone would get a' 01 A4 now when the next gen '02 is just around the corner (October)?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I agree - based on what you read the new one will probably be a major step up from the current model. More room, stiffer chassis, more neutral handling, and faster acceleration (in the 3.0), make it an intriguing choice. For some buyers, though, the current model will represent a better VALUE, and no doubt dealers will have them priced just low enough to clear the inventory as the year progresses, in order to make room for the (more expensive) '02's. Some may even like the styling of the current model a little better, especially the rear end as the new A4 has more of an A6 look, which certainly doesn't appeal to everybody. Personally, given the choice, I'd opt for the latest technology and go with the new one, provided the extra premium isn't too bad. But for those interested in picking up a heckuva deal on the current model, particularly if you can be fairly flexible about colors and option packages and have a liitle patience, I would wait until later this year when it's likely that the pricing on the '01's will become VERY attractive. For those playing this waiting game, careful monitoring of your local dealer's inventory is a good idea - sometimes they actually start to run out of stock towards the end of a model year and then can command a higher price as they wait for the new model year cars to be delivered.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I got a 2001 for two reasons:

One, I needed a new car and couldn't wait 4 or 5 months. Two, I like the 2001 like it is. I got a good deal. Anyways, the 1.8T engine will be exactly the same for 2002, which is what I got. If I were looking at the 2.8, I would wait unless I got a super deal on a 2001.
    Crud_Meridian: Well it's sad to scratch the wheel, but I wouldn't repair the wheel if the scratches are not too bad. As scirocco said, these cosmetic stuff does happen and I can tell ya a wheel is pretty darn expensive. The replacement cost for my 15" OEM wheel was $370, and if it's out of my pocket, I won't do it. Darn insurance company of the at-fault party tried to sell me a refurbished one for $150, but I refused. Resolved the problem by telling them it's a 3-day old car. I'm sure the 16" or 17" you have will be more expensive than $370. About the Wheel Collision Center, I guess they specialize at repairing damaged or warped wheels, but sure you can check with them and see how much it is.

Scirocco:

CD Changer @ RefurbDepot.com for $135:

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=1145

You also need an adapter to hook that up to the trunk. Get that at Crutchfield for ~$25:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-g7x0hlGD5J3/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=2&g=42100&I=541AUPAN98&o=&a=

t2z2: Get rid of the 300M.....apart from its 253hp engine that's appealing, you should get a Japanese or German car that holds its value. I was thinking about the TL too since it's a Honda and has great value and reliability, it doesn't have the sports attitude the A4 has. About the leatherette, I like it cuz it's a free option and it feels like leather and it fooled lots of my coworkers thinking I got paid too much at work. It also looks better.....leather looks trashed after 10,000 miles of butt-grinding :> Oh yeah, I thought of one more difference between the 1.8T and the 2.8....the 2.8 has chrome strips around the window trims while the 1.8T has the black plastic strips. Not a big difference to me but just thought I should bring that up too.

schwitzer: Wow now that's how you got yourself those trips to the speedway to welcome the kids and such.....geez can I come down to indy and you take me in a spin if you can get your hands on an indy car? :>

alexc: as JB pointed out, reason why I got the 2001.5 A4 was cuz I got a great deal out of it, and I hate the mini-A6 look of the 2002 model. Moreover, I'm only looking for the 1.8T model and not the 2.8 model so the 2002 cars will have the same 1.8T engine and of course a bigger 3.0 engine model. Furthermore, the current A4 has a 5-yr history to it and hopefully Audi has sorted out all the bugs. With a brand new 2002 model, I am not entirely sure if Audi has got rid of all the bugs. I figured the only thing I will miss on the 2002 model will be a rear heated seat option and dual exhaust pipes and maybe better suspension, but the current model is good enough for me already.

Now if somebody can tell me why the heck birds keep aiming their "discharge" at my car, I would appreciate that......

Billy

Alex-- lots of good comments in response to your question. But I'll still throw in my $0.02 :P

There's a lot of us that adore (if that's the term I'm searching for) the old style A4. Go to AudiWorld.com and read their A4 message board and you'll see what I mean. The old style, IMO, just has classic good looks but my main reason for buying a 2001 is that Audi has had 6 years to work all the *bugs* out. I was a little leary of buying an Audi initially because I really wanted the Japanese style of realiability, longevity, and close manufacturing/engineering tolerances. Also, German cars are notoriously expensive to repair. So I didn't want to take a chance on the 2002 A4 in its first production year. I really didn't like its looks either but it definitely is growing on me the more I see different pictures of it. I don't really want to do a point-counter-point with Joel but I'd opt for the *old style* '01.5 because of the reasons I just mentioned. And yes, the 2002, I'm sure will be substantially more money similarly equipped especially when it's first introduced. I also am going to miss the integrated oil temperature and voltmeter gauges! :((
    Sorry, Alex, as usual, I posted something after Billy posted something before I got the chance to read what he wrote.
  • fdxboyfdxboy Member Posts: 45
    ...rear heated seats??? Who really sits in the back seat of the A4?? Midgets...infants..your Mother-in-law??? I do like the new body of the A4 but having a 2001.5 makes me feel better that the past problems have been fixed. The only thing I don't like about my car is the Bose stereo. Can you say "SUCKS"! Perhaps it may be wishful thinking but I think that the 2000-2001.5 will hold their resale value pretty well due to the backlash that many A4 fans are not a big fan of the new body styling and may be looking for a low mileage A4 in a couple of years.
    yeah or maybe your dog will appreciate the heated rear seats......alright I said it just for comparison sake......it's just something you couldn't get even in the new BMW 3 series.

Well when the mother-in-law gets here, I might need an S6 so problem solved :>

Actually I have the Bose and i thought it's not a wise investment (not really that I wanted it but as I said before it's in a car in the lot that I can get a good deal in, would trade Scirocco's xenons any second here). I was complaining about not enough Bass. However, after playing with those hidden equalizer buttons, now I think I have more Bass than I want. I even needed to tune it down a little to suit my tastes. So if you haven't done that, try that and see if it might help.

Well let's hope people won't get to like the 2002 style after they fill up the Audi lots.....cuz if they do, the price of our 2001.5 cars will drop like a stone.....nah, they won't like that styling. In any case I don't regret buying the 2001.5 model cuz the styling is much classier than the 2002 model.

Hehe Scirocco, type faster next time so you can beat me to post :> ..... nah just kidding.

Billy
    I've got the Bose system, and I likes it fine!
    I had the Infinity with a 200 watt amp with my Eclipse GSX, and I gotta tell ya, I don't know the difference (not that there ISN't one, just that I can't tell it). I like to play music loud, and there's no distortion. I like to listen to a certain radio station, and this system was able to keep it tuned in for almost 100 miles (I drove from Indianapolis to Ft. Wayne last night). I DID, however, go into the system and tweak the "hidden" equalizer, which made things sound much more crisp and in-line with the sound that I like.

I guess that if I were someone who'd had a really expensive after-market system put into one of my cars, I'd know the difference. Since I don't, I'm happy. I ordered my car, and I ordered the Bose system, and I stand on my statement: I likes it fine.
    ...I can't remember what it is at(got it off of the AW forum) and I will admitt, that it sounds great with the windows shut but, when you open a couple of windows and pop open the moonroof...you lose a lot. I guess I was used to my BOOMING system in my Jeep that I traded in. I thought about transfering the system but too much money to do it. If I had to do it all over again I would have told them to keep the Bose and gone for the Sport Package. I am "almost" embarrased to be driving on these 15 rims/tires. Yeah Xeons would have been a nice touch too!
    Treat those embarrassing looking 15" rims as your winter rims and buy some nice 17" or even 18" (nah not recommended in Chicago) and some nice tires to go with them for the summer. Think of it as you don't need to buy steel wheels and wheel covers for the winter tires ....you already got OEM Audi wheels for them.

Yeah I'd trade the Bose for Xenons any minute....hey scirocco, why are you avoiding that question? I wanna trade them with ya :>

Billy
  • will32will32 Member Posts: 2
    I also am much more of a fan of the '01 styling than the '02. I got my '01 because it was my last chance to pick up this body style before the A6 rounded off look gets handed down to the A4. 30 less horse..i guess i'll live..
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I love both (and have both). I'm no audiophile, but I think the Bose sounds great. And the Xenons are incredible. I'll never own another car without them.
  • will32will32 Member Posts: 2
    I also am much more of a fan of the '01 styling than the '02. I got my '01 because it was my last chance to pick up this body style before the A6 rounded off look gets handed down to the A4. 30 less horse..i guess i'll live..
    ...a coupe or Cabriolet. I am willing to bet it will look sweet. I wish my 2001.5 came in a coupe but the 4 door thing has grown on me a little bit. I was thinking the same thing Laukd0g about the 15's in the winter time. But geez, if I am going to go that route then I will also need some Shocks/springs or coils to lower that bad boy to avoid the 4X4 look. I figured that I am going to be looking at $2800 w/installation after it is all said and done vs. paying the dealer $800 for the sport package(I beat myself up every day that I did not do it)...and don't get me started on chipping...I am waiting to grow some stones before I do that...ya never know what AoA will do if there is a problem.
    well even the stock 17" rims and tires leave a gap between the tire and the body so if you want the bad boy look you still need to add shocks and springs. The sports 17" rims are alright, but I'd rather buy something else, so that's why I didn't get the sports pkg. I'd rather have the choice to pick the rims I like, the right tires for the summer, the right shocks and springs for my like rather than fix myself into the OEM 17" rims, and the tires that Audi picked among Michelin, Bridgestone or Dunlop to provide the summer tires. It might end up more than stock sports pkg plus steel/alloy wheel plus winter tires if I do my own thing, but I'd end up be more happy.....ok maybe not the wallet.

Yeah if the A4 is available as a coupe, I wouldn't hesistant to get that.....at least it's a way to distinguish an Audi from a VW.....God did you see the new 2002 A4's front end?? Except the 4 rings, it's IDENTICAL to a 2001.5 VW Passat. It's sad. Oh well, at least the rear end is not VW but a total A6. At first I hated the A6 but now I kinda like it especially today I saw an A6 4.2 with those flared fenders, and man, those are SWEEEEEET.

Billy
    Billy-- Do you realize how pitiful your car would look with steel wheels and these winter tires you keep talking about?????? hahahaha!

Hey, thanks for the advice about the screws on the rear door panel. I loosened the screws and pounded on the panel and jiggled it around a bit and then tightened the screws back down and bingo, the creaking has disappeard (for the time being, anyway)!!! The rear middle seat belt retractor was stuck and I *played* around with that at the same time and "bingo again* it's working now. So yay!!! I have a *perfect* car again!!! I noticed that a few people reported the same creaking noise coming from the rear door over on AW so maybe I'll post back to them what I did and see if that will work for them. Thanx again!

As for trading the Xenons: ...I think I'm finally getting used to them. so, sorry :( --guess I'm not willing to trade with you now, lol. The lighting intensity is definitely superior to standard halogens although I think I'd still prefer a good multi-reflector halogen similar to what the Jettas/Golfs are equipped with. Their beams appear to be *whiter* than normal halogens and from what I observe, throw a nice balanced beam on the road. I saw a *new look* Passat the other night and observed its headlights. The new Passats have projectors now (but not xenons) and they looked so dim and yellow compared to my Xenons. I would have to guess that the Passat's projectors are the same as the A4's that you have; are they? Have you considered the euro-housings with Xenons that everyone over on AW are always talking about? If you get the E-codes, you'll get the built-in clear corners that seem to be the rage with those *modders* over on AW, lol. I don't know what it is about clear corners but I know that it doesn't interest me.

Michael-- Yeah! Me too! I kick myself constantly for not getting the sport pkg. I keep thinking that the sport pkg. would be just perfect for what I'm looking for. I don't really want the "lowered" look and all the sophisticated modded suspensions that the guys over on AW are into but I'd just like a bit more than the standard non-sport suspension offers. Like I said before, over on AW, you really feel out of place and like a real *goof* unless you have either the sport pkg. or some type of modded suspension and tires/rims.
    Speaking of A6's, I had a dream the other night that I traded my car in for an A6 2.7t. The next day, I got on the web and researched it a bit and I found that its 0-60 time is almost as fast as an S4 (yeah, I know it's the same engine) but the thing that I found surprising is that its price is not that much more than an S4. hmmmmm, maybe my next car will be a A6 2.7t!
    I don't think you can get an A6 manual. I know some like the Tip, but there I love the launches you can get out of a Man. tranny. As far as the A6 goes, I am one of the few that actually like the rearend of it. I know it is kinda Taurus looking but it has grown on me. The new Passat tail lights look very rice to me(and to think I almost went to the VW dealer to look at Passats')I know what you mean Laukd0g. On AW you really are out of place if you are not into mods. I am almost tempted to get the K04 just so I can do some bragging rights. While I really like my A4 I will not be satisfied until I get my TT! ( I hope my employers are reading this...fdxboy needs a RAISE$$$)
    Michael-- I believe the A6 2.7t is available in a 6-speed manual; it's the only A6 available with a manual, I think. I wouldn't even think about getting a Tip with that engine!

I want one!!!!

To scirocco's employer: Scirocco22 needs a RAISE$$$ too!!!!

PS: It's me that feels out of place over there at AW, I think Billy feels at home anywhere!!! :P lol
  • jmacedonjmacedon Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used 1997 A4 2.8 Quattro w/ 28K. Awesome Car! One problem I have is the radio has been locked-up (SAFE displayed). The previous owner has lost the 4 digit code necessary to unlock it. Is there a way it can be reset. Can Audi help me. Can anyone? Thanks.
    Noooo I was talking about putting winter tires on the existing 15" rims for winter and get my own set of 17" rims for the summer with summer slicks......NOOO steel rims for me :>

Darn so you are not gonna trade with me huh Scirocco?? Yeah I THINK the A4 projector lamps I got is the same as the 2001.5 Passats (duh!) and yeah they're kinda yellowish especially in the day....but at night, actually if you look at them from below (at an angle imagining you are lying on the ground), they're actually WHITE.....dunno why. mmmmmm maybe all I need is to aim the lights higher and they'll look Xenonish....hehe just kidding, don't do it, otherwise you will have 4 high beams :> I was thinking of getting the Xenonshop xenon bulbs and ballasts, and I'll look more into that.....arrrrgh should have gotten an A4 with xenons.....Yeah I'm fine with what the corners look like right now.....clear enough for me :>

Glad you got that rear panel rattling sorted out, Scirocco. Hope it won't come back as you said!! The rattling in the front panel in mine was gone too, weird. Glad that I could help.

You just have way too much dreams about Audi's, Scirocco. AoA should hire you as their spokesman/loyal customer/REAL owner in their commercials.....like those Hyundai commercials, haha. Now what did you do to get so many dreams?? Cuz I wanna try that out but maybe swap the Audi with a Ferrari.....mmmmm.....I'm feeling tired now...... :>

Fdxboy, well actually you can get the A6 2.7T with a 6-speed manual, just like the S4 does. The 2 cars are almost identical when it comes to drivetrains. And yes Scirocco, the MSRP between the two is only like a couple of hundred bucks off.....Yeah I'd like to get an A6 with the 2.7T engine too.....definitely not the 2.8 engine with A6....too slow. I would, however, like to try out the A6 4.2.....man, 300hp?? OMG. And did I mention those fenders.....ok my dream tonite will be about that car.....

I just got the polished stainless steel exhaust tips from Clair.....they're pretty quick to ship that (ordered on Tuesday, and the part got here on Friday). Nice tips, and I'll install them tomorrow.....mmmmm :> Better make sure the two tips are offset somehow to fit the beautiful curve of my babe.....the A4, not my girlfriend :>

Billy
    I got the tips as my first "mod"too. They are an easy install. When you put them on the way the tailpipe "breaks" the metal will allow you to put them on so that one sticks out just a hair more so than the other one. Do yourself a favor. Instead of using the tread locker go to your local Midas(or whatever) and have them spot welded for $15-20. Eliminates the possibility of any rattle.
    Jmacedon..I read somewhere on AW that your code is on the head unit somewhere so if you want to take it out go ahead otherwise it probably is dealer time.