Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    No the 15" or 16" wheel + tire packages will not cause issues with lowered suspension on the sports pkg if you pick the 205/60/15 or 205/55/16 winter tire packages. They have the same external diameter (wheel+tire) as the 17" wheel packages with 225/45/17 tires. Plus for winter tires, it's the best to have thinner tread tires (for more weight per tire) and higher profile (bigger middle number) tires. You can try salvage places for 15" OEM Audi wheels, or you can get a set of nice looking, new and cheap (I mean in terms of $$) on Tirerack with snow tires. Some 15" rims on Tirerack only goes for $100 to $150 a wheel, so that's a pretty good price.

For myself, I will try out these stock Goodyear Eagle all-seasons with the 15" rims (I don't have the sports pkg) this winter.....they should perform fine as I didn't have Quattro or winter tires in my Accord. Then when spring comes I am going to get myself a nice set of 17" rims with Dunlop SP5000's (ultra high performance all-seasons) and sell the OEM 15" rims and tires then.

Scotrack, it depends where you live. If snow is ALWAYS a concern, don't get the sports pkg as you WILL need to get an extra set of rims and winter tires, and slightly less ground clearance with the lowered suspension on the sports pkg. Of course if snow is a big concern, you should get Quattro too. I was stuck in a parallel parking spot once in my Accord and should I have my Audi w/Quattro then, I wouldn't be that embarrassed to spend 30 min to dig the snow under the tires and get the car out.

oh ebnk, nice options on the car.....it's pretty much loaded :>

Billy
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    I've been noticing a few creaks and ticks (loose plastic-like sounds) coming from various parts of the interior now. Specifically from the instrument panel, door panels, pillars, etc. They are not constant and not really loud or obnoxious but intermittently sound especially when going over bumps, etc. Anyone else hearing these minute sounds or am I just being overly anal?

Also, I'm fed-up with the auto-dimming side mirrors! I've put a piece of tape over the sensor. I just about ran into someone changing lanes because their lights were off. I'd have seen them if the left mirror wasn't dimmed. I can live with the inside mirror dimming but it's really dangerous having the outside mirrors dim, IMO. Does anybody know how to let the inside mirror auto-dim but not the outside mirrors? I'd cut the wires but I'm not sure which one is the heat element wire and which one is the auto-dim wire. I'd really rather not cut any wires because when I go to sell the car, the next person might not mind the side mirrors auto-dimming.

Andrew-- thanx for the posting. Nice article, I think, lol. I can't read Spanish that well although I took a year of it in high school :(

...or is that article in Portuguese??? *shrugs shoulders*
    actually I have a solution for ya, Scirocco. I bought those convex rear view mirror lens with a big suction cup and put it to the left of the rear view mirror. That way it can clear your blind spot vision, and because it doesn't auto dim with your mirrors, you won't have trouble seeing cars at your blind spot or to your side. Just $3 bought at Target.

Billy
    ...you put it on the inside mirror? What blind spot is it showing you? But it's not the inside mirror that I'm having trouble with dimming, it's the outside mirrors. :(
    Hehe sorry must be too early I typed the last message.....I put that blind spot mirror (about 3"x1.5") with the suction cup on the windshield (position is to the left of the rear view mirror, not on the mirror itself). You were complaining that you can't see the car to your left when you were switching lanes.....with that little mirror you can check your blind spot b4 switching lanes, yet it won't self-dim, of course.

By the way just drove past an Audi dealership close by and they have 18 A4's and a whopping 13 S4's.....

Billy
    oh ok, but I'm talking about not being able to physically see the car in the left mirror when dimmed, not necessarily the blind spot --I just couldn't SEE the car which was coming up on me on my right because of the dimmed mirror and him not having his headlights on (I could see other headlights behind me in the mirror but not his car. It was dusk, almost completely dark out). It's also difficult to judge the speed of the cars behind you with the left mirror dimmed because sometimes about all you can see is headlights and not enough detail of the cars or the surroundings. I don't know, I just think it's a hazard but I'm going to look for that suction cup mirror you're talking about for maybe the right side blind spot. I'm used to looking in the inside mirror a bit to see the blind spot on the right side but in this car, the front passenger side headrest blocks the view.

13 S4's??? ...wow, maybe you can make a good deal on a trade-in for one of those!! :)
  • cweidenmilcweidenmil Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the 2002 A4 will be available, how much it will cost, and what the lineup of different trim levels will be. Oh, is it possible to get real leather interior in the 2001 A4 1.8T?
  • varigvarig Member Posts: 99
    cweidenmil: I visited a local Audi dealership a few weeks ago. I was told that they (that dealership) would begin taking orders @ July 15, with delivery late Oct, early Nov. Was told that although they did not have pricing, it would be about the same as the 2001 models, (the 3.0 would be comparable to the 2.8). Leather will not be an option on the 1.8 :-( . I still cannot figure out WHY? In my opinion, given the chance, > 50% of buyers would upgrade to leather vs. vinylette. Maybe Audi thinks it would hurt 2.8 sales? Something's not right if you can get leather (standard) in a relatively inexpensive Korean car and not in a near-luxury German automobile.

BTW, I'm considering a 2002 model. Has anyone heard if the back has anymore legroom. That's why I did not buy the current model. I think I'll go with cloth seats. Sure it does not look as nice as vinylette, but I think it will be more comfortable in long run.
    Well I think the reason for not offering leather in the 1.8T is like varig said, Audi doesn't want to hurt the 2.8 sales. I was at the local Audi dealership lot today and I saw some 2.8's over there that have MSRP's of $37.5k.....honestly if I were to pay that kind of MSRP for a 2.8, I'd have saved for a nicely equipped S4 for $41.5k MSRP. There's something wrong with the pricing tiers in the A4 and S4. Just like the seat controls are manual on the 1.8T and you can't order power seats. I tend to think a 1.8T is a poor-man's Audi.....but still a damn nice car. It made me feel so good going into my dealership for service expecting a loaner to be at least as nice or even nicer than mine as in last time they gave me a 2.8 Avant :>

Well I got the Opal leatherette and one thing for sure, they get pretty warm under the sun. Good thing I didn't get the black leatherette. Real leather should be a little better, but not by much. However, the leatherette did fool a lot of my friends thinking that's real leather.

Yup 15 A4 1.8T's, 3 A4 2.8's and 13 S4's in my dealership. Time to dig up some money if I hid them somewhere in the lawn.

Billy
  • 1intensea41intensea4 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, all
    I bought an used 2000 Audi A4 2 months ago, and I'm still every minute of it. However, I do have some concerns about the engine of the car. I've asked around but gotten different answers.
    1) After I take my A4 for a spin, am I not suppose to turn off the engine immediately? If so, how long should I keep the car running? I've been keeping that ritual but not sure if it's worth it.
    2) Audi recommend us to take our A4 in for a service every 4300 miles. However, I've been told that 3000 miles is the ideal number for a turbo car oil change, and synthetic oil is a must to keep the turbo engine longevity to its maximum.
    Does anyone know the "exact" answer to those two questions?
    thanks
  • spridledogspridledog Member Posts: 63
    I have a new 2001 S4, but this should apply to the A4, as well. When driving with the sunroof fully open, there is a rather annoying booming noise which I believe is caused by wind making the headliner vibrate. I've had a similar problem with my wife's Sienna, but very infrequently. On the Sienna, I have found that if I close the roof just slightly, the booming stops. On my S4, this doesn't help much, if at all. I love driving with the sunroof open, but this makes it almost unbearable! Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Well unless you did a spirited drive right before you get home, there is no need to wait to turn off the car. People over at AW suggested a min of letting the car idle (with the door open and the key in and the chime has a timer for a min....turn off the engine when the chime is off). Now I don't know the benefits of idling the car if it really helps or not, but for me, I keep my right foot easy at the last few minutes before I get home. My logic is, idling hurts the car as well. Cooling the engine by the natural draft and cooling oil during light driving are much more efficient.

Yeah I sometimes got that booming problem when my roof is fully open, however, closing it a tick did get rid of the problem. I guess ask the dealer if anything can be done, since it's not a good idea to install those wind deflectors on the sunroof and destroy the beautiful lines on the A4/S4.

Billy
    Mike-- This is thr second car I've owned with a turbo and IMO unless you have a higher pressure turbo there's really no need to be that aware as to how long you leave the engine idle after shutting it off. If you're chipping and upgrading the turbo then you might want a turbo timer but in its stock form, I really don't see the need for a timer. The stock turbo on the 1.8t is so low pressure that Audi doesn't even supply us with a boost gauge as standard equipment! :( I had a Probe GT and even that had a boost gauge built into the instrument panel! --but that turbo had a little higher psi than our A4's. So to conclude follow Billy's advice and you don't have anything to worry about. As for the oil, here's my $.02: Follow Audi's recommended intervals (as outlined in your service manual) and use synthetic oil. No, synthetic oil is not "required" but it is recommended for any turbo-charged engine since it will help it run cooler and cleaner with supposedly less friction.

Jonathan-- Billy's advice, again, is right on. I just put it back one "click" ahead of the full open position while driving on the freeway and the "booming" seems to subside. Of course, you're driving a lot faster with that S4 than we are with our A4's, lol *waaaah* ...so maybe that's why it works for us but not for you (??) I did read somewhere over on AW where if you fiddle with that plastic (built-in ...the one that comes standard with the roof) deflector in the front of the roof that it helps but I can't remember how exactly you're supposed to "fiddle" with it. If I have the time, I'll try to go back and see if I can find the post and give you a link.
  • jmad325jmad325 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I'm Josh from Houston. I am very near trading in my 95 325 BMW for a new car and have been looking at the A4. I actually came close to buying a used one I got a great deal on in 1998 when I bought my BMW, but the color was not for me so I didn't do it. The other day I was at Momentum Audi in Houston and was really surprised at the prices on the 2001 A4 now that the 2002 is on its way. I test drove a 1.8T but feel that I would want the 2.8 if I went for the Audi. The dealer said there are still 4 order spots left for the first shipment of 2002's which will arrive in November with $1000 deposit. I am debating waiting or getting a good deal on a 2.8 now. Since I am going to keep the car for a while I feel that maybe waiting and getting the new model with more power will be better. Any thoughts? thanks. josh
  • lisamplslisampls Member Posts: 20
    I was just at Carousel Audi in Minneapolis today and looked at the A4's and A6's (a friend and I also drove the TT!). I am looking to keep my new car pricing around the mid $30's, so was focusing on the A4 (2.8T)and took it for a drive. I really liked it, but the legroom in the backseats is pretty much non-existent. My salesperson told me that the 2002 will be larger (by gaining 14" OVERALL-not just in the back) and will have the body styling similar to the A6. Sounds like they will also offer a V6 as well.
    gotta change that screen name of yours soon, josh LOL.

Anyhow back to the serious stuff. For the 2002 A4's, the V6 engines won't be pumping out 190hp and has a 2.8L displacement. They will actually be 3.0L V6 30valve engines pumping out 222hp. So if you found that a 2.8 is the way to go, you better wait for the 3.0L engines. However, rumors saying that they're behind schedule on producing that engine, and that first year new engine + new model for a car might not be a good idea if those are not Japanese cars LOL. Plus you gotta convince yourself that you like the new bodystyle, which honestly has grown on me a little bit......but still not enough to convince me to get the 2002 instead of the 2001. But hey, you'll be one of the first kids in the block to have a brand spanking new A4.

The one thing to remember about the 1.8T is, you can chip it and get up to 207hp and 246lbft torque for a mere $500, while on a 2.8/3.0 engine, you gotta spend like $3-4k to add a turbocharger to it to make it go faster. Of course with the new 3.0L engine you get the power with the Audi warranty, i.e. if the chipped 1.8T engine gives you trouble, you won't be covered by the warranty if anything helps due to the chipping.

Billy
    Lisa, for mid 30k's, (if that's what you want to pay out of pocket), you can get a loaded 1.8T or a medium loaded 2.8 (that engine is a V6 already) or a stripped S4. Honestly, if you ask me, I wouldn't spend mid 30k's on an A4. I'd rather save some more for an S4. People here in Chicago are walking out the dealerships paying about $39.5k for a loaded S4 (b4 tax), with a MSRP of $42.5k. I've seen FULLY LOADED A4 2.8's for a MSRP of $37.5k.....and that's WAY too much.

The new 2002 A4's are 14" longer than the 2001's? You sure? Geez that's one big sedan.

Again the current A4's offer V6 engines since they were here (the old ones got 12v engines, new ones got 30v engines). Only difference is, the 2002's will have 3.0L V6 engines pumping out 222hp while the current 2001's will have 2.8L V6 engines pumping out 190hp.

Billy
    Josh-- The only thing about reserving a spot on the list is that you still don't know the exact price you'll be paying for it because as I understand it, they still haven't published any final prices yet for the 2002 and you'll definitely be paying at least MSRP if not higher because of the "premium" some dealers will probably be adding seeing that they will be in such limited supply when first introduced. And a $1,000 deposit?? whew! Well, as Billy said, at least you'll be the first on your block to have one!! And why are you considering switching from a BMW to an Audi?? I can't wait to switch from an Audi to a BMW, lol.

Lisa-- Have you considered maybe a 325i? or xi? Like Billy, I would have much preferred a Bimmer if I weren't trying to keep my purchase price down below 30k. I like my A4 and the value it represents but let's face it, a BMW is THE ultimate driving machine! :-)
    Billy, we forgot to mention to Jonathan that opening the rear windows a "crack" will also help to solve the buffeting effect coming from the sunroof.
    Thanks for the feedback! Billy, the length for the 2002 will not increase by 14", the OVERALL increases to the car (width and length) will be 14". Not sure what that means for length, but Sallied (saleswoman) said that the body styling will look more like the A6.
    It was my first trip to the dealership yesterday, and was a bit overwhelmed with the different pricing (and models) for the A4's, A6's and S4's. There are some incentives right now with low APR's so it would almost be cheaper to get an A6 (I think it was down to 2.9 for June and they are talking about carrying it over into July.)
    Yes, I am considering the 3-Series as well and hope to test drive a few today (my first trip to the BMW dealer.)
    I have been researching the Audi's and Bimmer's for some time, as well as the Lexus ES300 and would like to make a decision before the end of summer so it will be easier to sell my '98 Honda Accord ape V6.
    You will get a kick (or maybe not) out of the fact that my new car shopping started with a desire for the RX300, which then turned into the Acura DX. I actually have a deposit down on the DX for fall delivery, but can't make up my mind if I want the SUB or a kick-butt luxury sedan.
    Test driving will be the key here, and my main reason for the SUB was because the 4WD comes in handy during our brutal Minnesota winters. I was educated on Quattro yesterday, and understand that Bimmer's have traction control (same as WAD?), so I would still get better winter performance.
    Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed! I'll keep you posted.
    Lisa
  • spridledogspridledog Member Posts: 63
    Thanks folks for the help with the sunroof. This morning I did try cracking the rear windows a bit, and this did improve things. It also causes at bit more wind inside the cabin, but I can deal with that. I could never get myself to tack on one of those plastic air deflectors on the top of my S4! I have enough trouble just dealing with the bugs that get on the front bumper! I LOVE THIS CAR!
    Yup Scirocco, cracking the rear windows help a little bit. Spridledog, glad it kinda solved the problem.... now all you need is to keep the right foot easy :>

Lisa, mmmmm let's get all those terms correct for ya. In the case of the BMW xi, under normal driving, rear wheels still have the most burden (not 100%) to drive the car forward. Only under extreme conditions will all wheels engage in driving the car. In the case of the Quattro in an Audi, all 4 wheels drive the car at the same time with equal bias under normal driving, and when it senses wheel spin it'll transfer power to the wheels with the most traction.

In the case of most SUV's, UNLESS they specify FULL TIME ALL WHEEL DRIVE, ONLY the front wheels drive the vehicle. These vehicles are often named or branded as 4WD. When the onboard computer senses wheel slip or after you press the button or work the lever that says 4WD, then all four wheels are engaged to work together. They are deceiving that in most systems you NEED to engage the lever or hit the button yourself to get all 4WD, and needless to say in emergency situations you won't have time to hit that button or lever. More deceiving is that, in these 4WD SUV's, it's recommended NOT to have all 4 wheels driving the vehicle at all times. It's recommended to use 4WD ONLY when you go to drive around in a mud pool or pulling your boat out of the water.

Now you see how useful the Quattro system and all other FULL TIME ALL WHEEL DRIVE vehicles are. With ESP in your Audi, you are very safe.

Now comparing the BMW xi and Audi Quattro cars. Read the Edmunds.com review on the BMW 325xi.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/spin/46587/article.html

It's titled "This Bavarian Motor Doesn't Werk". The editor basically slams a huge rock at this BMW, and read what he recommends.

Bimmers come standard with Traction Control, but you can add this $500 option to your Audi. Looks like you live in Minneapolis (been there in the winter), and I wouldn't drive a bimmer that comes standard with rear wheel drive. Only the xi or the X5 will be on your list if you want a bimmer, even I'll cross the X5 off the list cuz it's an SUV and with high center of gravity it won't do well in curves.

One more selection to your list if the ES 300 is on yours. THe Acura 3.2TL Type S. 260hp for a very nice price. And it's a HOnda too.

Whew I typed too much again, didn't I.....Now for the reward for reading all these. For ANY OF YOU who lives close to Chicago, I got good news for ya. Buddy of mine told me yesterday that Audi is hosting a Quattro Challenge in the Chicago Motor Speedway. A full day of activies such as Cornering Control, Accidence Avoidance, Skid Recovery, Timed AutoCross, Speed Laps and Personal Coaching are all included with a dinner in the famed Field Museum, all for.....you guessed it, FREE. I can't believe it, and to qualify you only need to have a 97 and up Audi and you can bring a guest. But be fast, it's limited to 50 owners for each day on Saturday (9/8) and Sunday (9/9). Click on the following link:

http://www.audiusa.com/myAudi/quattro_challenge/html/set.htm

Billy

oh jeez, gotta run but I'll quickly post a few thoughts--

Joanathan-- lol, I don't know whay you'd take Billy's advice about "keeping the right foot easy" ...what's the purpose of having an S4 if you're going to do that??? Might as well just have an A4 :P

Lisa-- what's WAD?? lol ...and yah, if they made either the RX300 or the DX with a 5-speed manual, I'd seriously (very seriously!) consider getting one! When you refer to them as SUB's, does that stand for Sports Utility Burner??
    Typing too fast maybe, Lisa?

HEHE either keep the right foot easy or get a radar detector.....you don't wanna pay the speeding "tax".

Billy
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'll betcha anything Lisa's post got bitten by the evil spellchecker. ;->

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    By the way Pat, thanks for sticking up for me!
    First off...Billy...are you all rested up from the response to my grammitically incorrect post??Second, about the WAD thing...I don't know why I bother spell checking anything when I do these posts (sure, blame it on spell check!). Either that or it was a Fruedian slip. =)
    I appreciate the education on Audi's and BMW's as up until about a week ago I was convinced I was getting the MDX. I still love the vehicle, but don't know if I need THAT much space.
    So, getting back to winter driving....the overall reaction is that Audi's Quattro is superior to BMW?
    Today I drove a 330i and it was quite awesome, but have not done any research on that at all, so need to do that. (The salesguy made me believe that BMW is the ulimate driving vehicle and there is nothing that comes close to it.) I drove a 5-speed, which is fun, but again in the winter a 20 minute commute can easily turn into an hour and 20 minutes. No fun then.
    If anyone has done some research I'd love to find out what your end result was. The 330 I drove today was loaded and came in around $40K. The 525 with an automatic was just about $1500 more, so I thought that was a better value.
    Not sure what I'll spend just yet, but want to make sure that I don't have buyers remorse after a few months.
    Now stop picking on me!!
  • fdxboyfdxboy Member Posts: 45
    I would have never guessed that they would say that! Just kidding. Anyways, I looked at 325ci and I loved them, but...it will run you to $34K easy to get it decently equiped. Therefore the A4 in my garage. Anyways, get what you love, do not settle. I did in a way, and now my TT fund began 2 months after I bought the A4. Don't get me wrong, I like the A4 but I LOVE the TT! I assume you live in MN. If snow is a factor, you should get the Quattro vs. The X edition on the Bimmer. I have not driven in snow yet, but people who have said that my car will handle better in the snow vs. my Wrangler I traded in. I can't wait!
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    No way is the 2002 A4 14" longer. A couple of inches is more like it. I saw a 2001 and 2002 side by side in Madrid last week. The 2002 does have a bit more rear leg room and trunk space, but it's nowhere near the size of the A6.
  • shopshopshopshop Member Posts: 9
    I'm also trying to decide on a 330i or the A4. Here is my analysis so far:

330i:
    35,100 invoice
    38,500 MSRP

Moon, Sport, Xenon, Lux Package, Steptronic

A4:
    34,000 invoice
    37,500 MSRP

Moon, Sport, Xenon, Leather, Tiptronic

Most likely prices IMHO:
    330i 37,100 (2k over invoice)
    A4 34,500 - 35,000 (500 to 1,000 over invoice)

I actually like driving the 330i better due to its better low-end power. I am also concerned that the A4 will take a hit with the impending model change. All that said, the A4 is a great car and I would get a somewhat better deal, also due to the impending model change.

Any thoughts?
    As I said in my posts...the 2002 A4 will gain 14" overall...I did say it was not just in the length. What the specifics are I don't know, nor did my salesperson. I think the difference currently between the A4 and the A6 is only about 5", so it wouldn't take much to make the body styling look more like the A6.
    Which models are you looking at? I tested the 330i (not the x) and the 2.8T. The 330 was just over $40K (gasp!) and the 2.8T was just under $40K.
    Also, what state are you in? I am amazed at the difference in pricing from state to state!
    State California, SF Bay Area. Tested 330i and the A4 2.8. My listing of packages probably left off some nits from each car, but the final tally has them both roughly equal in core features, but for the Audi quattro system, which is why the A4 doesn't have as much of a price differential as I thought it would. I thought of shelving the quattro system based on the low probability of ever taking it in the snow, but it seems like one of the main reasons to buy an Audi, and also almost all if not all the 2001 Audi's in this area are quattro.

I guess my main concern right now is that the 2k or so in price differential could be blown away pretty rapidly by a fast depreciation of the A4.
  • scotrickscotrick Member Posts: 8
    Hi guys,

I just purchased a light silver 2001 A4, FWD 1.8T, with Celebration package and Sports Package (only had 11 miles on it). I got a really good deal in San Antonio (less than 25K). I would highly recommend Rod East Audi in San Antonio...they will work with you!!! Ask for Donnie.

I decided to go with FWD because this is Texas (we don't get snow, and if it does ice over, everything closes down...lol). I love the car...thanks for the advice SCIROCCO22 and everyone else that gave input...the sports package is definitely worth it.

What about gas? The salesperson told me to put medium grade (around 91 octane) in the car...any recommendations? I thought about the premium stuff, but if I can save money without sacrificing performance (and detonation???), I'll do it. What are you thoughts??

Awesome purchase...no buyer's remorse here!!!!

Scott
    NOOO we didn't try to pick on ya.....I just forgot about the stupid spell check can play tricks on ya :>

Shopshop, for that price on an A4, I'm assuming you are talking about a 2.8? For that price, include the S4 in your list. Yes it's more expensive, but it comes STANDARD with leather, xenon, sport (there's no such thing on an S4, the suspension is already tweaked), and Tiptronics at no extra charge. The S4 comes with 2 turbos so there's not that much lag.

OK Quattro is useful in the winter/snow, but it's also useful when you take a curve by giving you traction on all 4 wheels.

Like fdxboy, I was also considering the 325ci b4 buying the A4 1.8T......a nicely equipped 325ci runs for $35k easy......while the A4 1.8T is $29k MSRP......there's not that much of a power difference between the 325ci and the 1.8T.....OK the BMW got more juice at the high end (high rpm and high speed), but I just LOVE the turbo spooling in the 1.8T. The 1.8T feels faster in city traffic, that's for sure, if you keep the rpm between 2500 and 4000. There might be a bigger power difference between the A4 2.8 and 330i.....so be sure to drive them all......and the S4 if your budget allows you to the $42k MSRP zone, which you should be able to get it at around $39.5k.....250hp and 266lbft of torque in a turbocharged 2.7L engine.

Which brings out the point of turbocharged engines vs normally aspirated engines.....the A4 1.8T engine and S4 engine are turbocharged, the A4 2.8 and all BMW engines are normally aspirated.....which some can argue it should be cheaper to maintain a normally aspirated engine car. As some of you pointed out, the 1.8T engine got numerous awards as one of the "10 Best" engines so that should make us rest easier.

Congrats on the purchase, Scotrick. I like it, another silver :>

Billy
  • fdxboyfdxboy Member Posts: 45
    As far as gas goes..in Chi-town our gas Octane is 87, 89, and 93(for the most part) The manual recommends premium...the dealer said premium..so that is what I put in. Dealer said I could put in the cheap stuff, but I lose some power and my MPG goes down. Besides. What is it? .10 from middle to high Octane? Doesn't your "baby" deserve the best? As far as Quattro goes, I agree with Lauk. Cornering hard is not even an issue with me. I don't think twice about it. Also, Quattro is the one option that you will lose NO deprecitaion on when it is time to resell.
    As far as Bimmers' go...I do like them. Although many bimmer owners think that they are the end all be all when it comes to cars. Give me the choice btwn a 330 and a S4...I will take the S4 and the [non-permissible content removed] kicking it will give the 330 everytime.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Way to go, Scott! I've been looking at the A4 at Rod East also. Just curious what else you got on the car in the way of options. Did you do a trade in? I've been impressed with the folks there.....
    when it comes to gas. Unless I'm in Montana (I remember the highest octane over there was 90), I will insist on 93 Octane for it. Speaking of which, I'm happy that the gas finally drops to $1.749 for Shell 93 in suburban Chicago, or $1.649 at some unknown name brand station. Man, I remember when we're paying $2.399 2 months ago in Chicago.....

Hehe just spanked a stock Eclipse (the 4-banger one).....that dude must be thinking what the heck I got under the hood.....NO mods and don't underestimate an Audi :>

Billy
    Decided on the A4, and yes it is the 2.8. i decided the nominal difference in the cars (other than pure engine power--the 225hp in the BMW is truely awesome) was not enough to justify 3 to 4k in purchase price difference. I am giving priceline a shot at $500 over invoice, so I have my fingers crossed. Should find out by 7:00AM my time if a dealer accepts. Anyone else use priceline to by a car?
    Godeac...the celebration package and sports package were the only options I got...they were all I really wanted. I like the standard stereo system alot and didn't feel the need to get the Bose upgrade. One thing I like about Audi compared to other cars is that the standard equipment on the car are considered options on other cars...my girlfriend just bought a Toyota RAV4 (I tried talking her out of it...it's actually pretty nice though). Everything was an option...including the A/C...this is TEXAS! How can an A/C be in option in TEXAS!!!? I hope you can get a great deal in San Antonio. My experience was very pleasant!

Thanks everyone for the recommendation on which grade of gas to use...out of curiosity, does the A4 1.8T, 5-Speed manual w/ Quattro get the same mpg as the FWD A4 1.8T (5sp manual)??? Someone told me that Quattro burns a little more gas.

Scott

Scott
    Godeac...I forgot...I didn't do a trade in for the car.

Scott
    Scott-- Congratulations!! I'll forgive you for not going with Quattro:P If I were in Texas I might have considered a fwd but even without snow and ice Quattro does have its advatages. Up here in the NW, non-Quattro Audis are virtually unheard of. If one were to special order one, the resale value would be so poor that it wouldn't make too much sense. I think most people that would consider a fwd A4 would probably be better off going with a Passat in this area just because of the resale factor. As far as gas goes, yes, the fwd will get considerably better gas mileage because of its lighter weight. 24/32 (city/highway) for the fwd manual and 22/29 for a Quattro with the 5-speed manual. Well, maybe that isn't "considerably" better but still will add up over time, lol. So, Scott, don't be stingy; go ahead and use that recommended premium gas. You'll still be spending less than we will with our Quattros:P --I think you'll be glad in the long run especially with a turbo-charged engine.

Alex-- *thumbs up* ...yah, chosing the Audi over the BMW makes sense as far as getting the most value for the money. That's why I went with an A4. As I've said before, I really think the 3-series Bimmer could be the ultimate car for me but I just couldn't see spending that much for what I was getting; at this point in my life, anyway, lol... maybe someday! I had a friend who used Priceline and recommends it. But he was buying a Toyota where there are a whole bunch of dealers here in this area. Since we only have two Audi dealers in the Seattle metropolitan area, I didn't try it with the Audi. I considered trying it for the Subaru Forester that I'm currently buying but I found a dealer in the area that is selling them at a flat-rate over invoice through their internet department. $500 over invoice sounds really resonable for a 2.8 A4 at this time of year. I think you'll get lots of bidding on it especially if you're in a big metropolitan area like SF where I'm assuming have lots of Audi dealers. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Lisa-- LOL!, sorry, I actually wasn't kidding with my questions in my last post! ...then I remembered that awful spell-check that Edmunds has after Pat mentioned it. I stopped using that long ago, lol. Just a quick thought: If I were in Minneapolis, I'd surely be seriously considering an Audi Quattro over any rwd Bimmer because of your long cold winters. And yes, as Billy explained, IMO, the Quattro is far superior to any awd system out there, especially the BMW's. I bet you could get a real good deal on an A6 right now. By the end of the summer, most of the A4's might be gone but A6's are slower sellers and I don't believe that the new A6 will be out until deep into the end of the year so you might just be able to get a real good deal on an '01 A6 even into the Fall. I'll have more to say on SUV's later, lol. Keep us posted!

--'rocco
  • nitpickernitpicker Member Posts: 89
    Hey, Scirocco22, I'm jealous -- a new A4 and a new Forester? See msg on Subaru Wagons: So Many Choices....
    just because they're slower to move. Don't get me wrong, they're nice cars, just that I think most people in that price range are looking at the BMW 530i or even the 540i. Interesting that most people won't mention a Mercedes in this kind of comparison.....I guess they are just priced way out of league.....last time I checked, a nicely equipped Mercedes C320 costs almost as much as an A6 2.7T.....hehe I'll take the Audi.

Oh yes cars equipped w/Quattro burn more gas, more weight (like a couple of hundred pounds!!) and more energy/friction loss between more moving parts (I'd assume). It also translates into faster 0-60 times.....7.5 sec with FrontTrac manual vs 7.8 sec with Quattro manual. AND you can smoke some tires when you want to with a FrontTrac....LOL. Actually I noticed that Audi (www.audiusa.com) just added a Quattro introduction and FAQ right when you open their website. Go check it out if you wanna learn more about Quattro.

Oh Scirocco, the Audi 1.8T website does list the engine oil at 3.7 quarts.....darn it how come they put in 4.3 quarts in our manuals which I assume is the amount that they put in when the engine is brand new sans oil?

Well, 5,760 happy miles and still cruising too fast. Now let's talk about radar detectors.....
    Karen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-- I was thinking about you the other day!! I thought we lost you! I was thinking about posting a message to you over on that other board but the last time I looked it was kind of dead. But yes, I kinda/sorta decided on the Forester. You can't imagine what kind of turmoil I went through with that decision and I'm still not feeling real good about it. You'll have to read what I've been posting over on the main "Forester" board the last week or so. Basically I've just been rehashing all the old stuff that we've already talked about (I even brought up the "Brat" again, lol) but I think price and value finally won out; just as it did with the A4. I'll try to get over there and post a message to you on that "...so many choices" board when I get the chance. So... how many more days?????? At first, I was going to factory order the Forester until they discovered that one was coming in on the next shipment. They told me that it would be 6-8 weeks for the factory order. I thought about what you are going through and was happy that they found one. *argh* it must be agony for you now that it's getting so close! Ok, good to hear from you again, Karen... keep in touch with us here on this board!

Billy-- Ahhh... that's it! 4.3 for the original factory fill! ...that makes sense. Yeah, I did find that TSB. It's in PFD format in a file on my 'puter. I couldn't quite figure out how to post it here and I couldn't find the post again over on AW from which I originally got it from. So I tried to copy and paste it and guess what? They have an encoded message that shows up when pasted that has a really threatening message about copying, publishing, transferring, etc., that made it sound like they'd prosecute you to "the fullest extent of the law" if they saw that you were reproducing it somewhere without their permission. Sheesh! ...don't understand what the big deal is *looks perplexed* Then I was going to give you the TSB number and now I find that the VW web-site that list all the TSB's is now requiring a password. I think I remember someone over at AW making reference to that but that is so stupid that they are now only making their TSB's available to only service technicians and not the general public. But anyway, yes, the official refill amount is 3.7 qt. with filter change and at the bottom of the TSB there is a warning on the importance of not overfilling and the consequences.
    and it's not easy to "suck" up the excess oil. Wish they have some sort of an "overfill" plug that's accessible so you can drain the excess out.

One thing I noticed recently, the amount of brake dust that sticks to the rims is somewhat less than when the car was brand new. Yay!

Billy
    Billy-- That's a question I was going to ask you: I thought I read somewhere on AW that most Audi dealers use the "suction" method when doing an oil change. Something about it being the recommended procedure in Europe. Is this correct? ...they suck the old oil out through the dipstick tube and never touch the drain plug on the pan? --something about it being more efficient and also protecting the integrity of the drain plug and it's "hole" (less chance of mis-threading and less chance of leaking because of the numerous on-and-offs through the years). Did your dealer use the suction method? I think I've seen a DIY suction thingie at an auto parts store years ago but thought it was some kind of a joke.

LOL, I was just going to say the opposite about the brake dust... I seem to be getting it heavier lately! Maybe it's because I'm starting to drive a little more aggressively now that I'm approaching the end of the break-in period! Man, what a pain it is to wipe off the wheels almost every day! :-(
  • nitpickernitpicker Member Posts: 89
    No, Rocco, I wasn't lost, just busy with work. Looks like another week or two before the 1.8T arrives. The ship left port June 19, so the dealer figures we'll see it in mid-July. Funny, I know I should be psyched. Instead, I'm thinking stuff like: Oh, man, I hope this car is reliable. Oh, man, I hope I don't miss my trusty ol' Integra. Oh, man, I wish I would've gotten ESP....

Congrats on the Forester, BTW. What a perfect duo to have in your garage! I do think you'll appreciate the Forester's utility and reliability; also, IMO, the A4 and Forester are two of the best deals for the dollar among any vehicles. And sounds like you did get a nice deal on both!
  • mgmyersmgmyers Member Posts: 13
    Just got my new Audi - a silver A4 2.8 Avant manual. Excuse me for posting to the sedan forum, but there's not much happening on the A4 wagon forum. Anyhow, I bought a V6 Passat 2 years ago and although it's really a nice car just didn't have the right "feel" to it. I'd been thinking about an Audi ever since and finally made the "mistake" of test driving one :-) That was pretty much all it took... Let me tell you, finding a manual 2.8 Avant was not easy. Originally, I placed an order for one (in early May), but Audi did not allocate ANY Avants to so Cal (I'm guessing they stopped taking new orders by late May). Anyhow, I panicked briefly, since I didnt' want a 2002 - long wait and not thrilled about the new body style. The dealer found a silver 2.8 manual Avant on it's way to CA, and was able to get it for me. Sadly, it didn't have the sports package, which I really wanted, but at this point the selection is very limited (dealer said there are only 2 2.8 Avants in all of CA!). Picked her up last Thursday and couldn't be happier! What a beautiful car! I have leather and the Bose upgrade, which I originally didn't want, but am very happy with both. I'll probably go ahead and have a sports suspension (springs and shocks) installed, but am pretty happy with the stock 16" wheels. Can't wait to finish the break-in period (anybody need a ride?).

Mark