Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro

Comments

• dang3dang3 Member Posts: 5
    Dennis O,
    If the factory spec shows the under the seat storage box, how can I get the dealer to install it.
    Is there a document or something I can reference?
    The middle seat lack of adjustment was a shock to us as well. Would the mechanism retrofitable to the current seat?
    How does your sliding door OPEN lock work?
    Thanks for the info.
    Best regards,
    Dan
    e-mail address is:
    dan.gregory@hs.utc.com
  • sammycastagnasammycastagna Member Posts: 28
    obus,
    How did you move the front seats back?

Sammy
  • obus100obus100 Member Posts: 7
    Dan:
    When I ordered out mine, the GM specs on the website showed it. I don't know if it does any more. I figure GM saved about $1 on the storage box. I got one from a bone yard for a couple bucks and installed it myself. Interestingly, the carpet is still slit under the passenger seat and the wiring loom is there for connecting to a passenger 6 way power seat that has not been available since 1999. The sliding side door just barely stays there. I suspect they did it for liability reasons (people driving down the road with the door open).

I am looking for a bone yard for the second seat adjuster. same adjuster used since 1996 2nd and 3rd seat. Dealer is saying factory problem and factory is saying they have a right to change the specs. Obviously focus groups are not listened to at GM. Or the designer never tried to use his own vehicle.

Sammy:

Take out the seat with frame intact (4 nuts on the floor studs 15mm I think and measure carefully 2" back from current hole locations and drill two new holes and use 5/16" grade 8 bolts. This is for passenger side and NON electric driver side.

I had to install 3/8" thick x 2" wide x 24" long straps on top of 6 way power seat frame on driver side and reposition the seat 2" back on the new subframe. I also put the power seat controls on the left hand side of the seat frame where GM should have put them in the first place. Just swap the trim from side to side.

I am 6'6" and now lots of leg room both sides, and Wife can put left foot somewhere now that she has more leg room on her side.

Still have a rumble when accellerating at 60-65 and I think it is the rear pumpkin. Watching this and will let dealer know when it is constant.

Drove 8 hours in blizzard the other night, interstate had 4-6 inches of snow. VERY glad I have AWD and limited slip. Jeep Cherokees and Ford Explorers all were putting along at 35 mph and we were sure footed at 50-55 mph. It did not drift nor slip at all.

Dont like the Bridgestone Tires however, just because of the reputation of Firestone.

Cheers.

Dennis O
    Dennis,
    I am going to check that out about the seat.

Have a 2001 awd with limited slip cargo. You are correct snow is no problem. I had a bronco and the Safari is a lot better in snow.

Sammy
  • jkeefe1jkeefe1 Member Posts: 21
    I am ready to drive this piece of junk into the river! I am not sure where to start, but most of our major problems started about a year ago when the engine head gasket and valve seals were replaced. Soon after, I had EGR problems, in fact so many, the dealership gave up and we didn't want to spend more money to "shotgun" this problem. For some reason there is a continuous build up of carbon deposits that was clogging the EGR Valve. The dealership decided to unplug the electrical connection to the EGR valve and run the van with the engine light on continuously. It ran a little rough, but we were OK with this as long as the van didn't stall on us. Gradually over time, the van ran rougher and there were no signs of blue or black smoke coming from the exhaust. The van would also start hard, where we learned to turn the ignition key "on" and "off" a few times before the engine would turn over. Trying to start the engine and hold it in the "start" mode did not work. It was almost like the engine was "choking" for a lack of a better word. Recently we started to smell a "burning" order from the van when the van ran for a while, but I am not sure what is causing this. We are trading this van in three months, but I don't think its going to last by then. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a little bit of info on google about the EGR problems. The first hit suggests replacing the O2 sensor as well as the valve.

There also appear to be three EGR related TSBs that your dealer may not know about.

Steve, Host
  • juliansjulians Member Posts: 42
    My 91 Astro was running very rough and stalling about a year and a half ago. It did not pass emissions and needed an o2 sensor. Still never passed emissions, but since then it has run very well. It is starting to run a little rough again. I have also heard that if the Catalitic (sp?) converter is in need of replacemnt it will give off the bad smell, and cause the o2 sensor to wear out quickly.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    >>I have also heard that if the Catalitic (sp?) converter is in need of replacemnt it will give off the bad smell, and cause the o2 sensor to wear out quickly.

A bad cat will smell like rotten eggs. A bad cat will also fry your 02 sensor or sensors in short order, particularly a "downstream" 02 sensor like many cars have today. They should have checked your cat when they changed your 02 sensor or sensors.

I don't, however, believe that the cat is likely to cause your emissions failure. The pollutants removed by the cat process aren't typically measured at emissions time.
  • riccd2001riccd2001 Member Posts: 12
    "The pollutants removed by the cat process aren't typically measured at emissions time."

I bought a well-used '94 Safari SLT AWD in May 2002 and had to go through the "Drive Clean" program for vehicle certification in the Toronto area.

For my Safari the inspection included an Emissions Control System test covering EGR, PCV, Catalytic Converter, Fuel Evaporative System and Gas Cap Pressure with a visible smoke inspection - all with a simple "pass" reported. Then there was a two-speed idle/2500 rpm tailpipe emissions inspection to confirm readings under 200 ppm for HC and under 1.00 per cent CO; 135 & 0.13% / 27 & 0.08% were my results.

Just wondering how these tests, limits and results compare to other folks' experience.
    >For my Safari the inspection included an Emissions Control System test covering EGR, PCV, Catalytic Converter, Fuel Evaporative System and Gas Cap Pressure with a visible smoke inspection -

Yeah, there are visual and function tests of these components, but the cat itself does not affect the percentages seen by the sniffer. The 02 sensor certainly will. While the original post didn't specify why he didn't pass emissions, I assumed that if they identifiied a specific component, ie cat missing, then he wouldn't need to figure out what to replace. I admittedly ASSumed he meant his percentages were off, but you know what they say about assuming...
    It is sleeting and snowing again and I just can not believe how well the AWD with limited slip does on slick surfaces. If I take of in a reasonable manner even on a hill the van does not slip at all. But I bet it will be expensive if it breaks.

Sammy Castagna
  • findushandyfindushandy Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1991 Astro w/4.3ltr rear wheel drive, extended van. I have over 200k miles on this van. I have done all my own maintenance on this vehicle and this one is driving me nuts. I have a new fuel pump installed, new cap and rotor, new plugs, wires, EGR valve. I found a leak in a vacuum line on the PCV valve and changed the line. The van starts great every time(shouldn't be the fuel pressure regulator??)The van idles down to 750RPMs after finding the vacuum leak. I have a X-Ray Brand scanner and there are no codes nor Service Engine Soon Light. I also put in a Ignition Control Module in about 3years ago. This current issue is a audible sputter at intervals that can be heard at the tailpipe of the exhaust . The engine starts to shake a bit when engine rpm's are brought to around 1100rpms(parked) and or 30mph(on the road). On the road and the speed is leveled to 60mph you can feel the jerk or hesitation. I know pulling a boat or trailer up hill the van will definitely make the van buck and cough back through the air cleaner a few times until you lay on the gas and it will still slightly jerk the whole way. I need help on this one. Please anyone with suggestions.
  • lsnyder2lsnyder2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello out there...
    I need a good used Cargo van for a new business I'm starting. I'm looking at a 1998 Chevy Astro cargo with AWD and 78000 miles. It was previously a Verizon Fleet Car. Some people have advised me to stay away from the AWD. Any experience/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Larry
  • bsmoodhabsmoodha Member Posts: 17
    Has anybody else had the external oil lines to the oil filter leaking where if goes from redgid to flex forward of the left engine mount ??
  • ganze1ganze1 Member Posts: 7
    Biggr, How you put a straight through vacuum on? Did you just remove it from the valve near the A/C or did you do it under the van? I saw about 3 to 4 vacuum hoses near the A/C box so I'm not sure which one you used. Also, I would assume that as long as I do not have the Rear Heat switch on that the heat should not blow out. Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Phil...
  • rockenbachrockenbach Member Posts: 10
    I have heard the same from my mechanic but I would also like to know more . . . thanks
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    if Verizon (or whomever has the van) can provide some type of records for service, the van should be great. Highway miles are the Chev/GMCs best friend. I've had 2: one company (98) and now my own (00) and have had great luck. A friend of mine is in the same business with an AWD and while a little more front end care is needed, no major (over $200) problems. My '00 now has 90K and runs just as strong as new. I thought about doing the 0% thing but when I drove off for the test drive the only difference was the tightness in the shift lever. Yes I maintain mine to the letter, but you get back what you put in. Good Luck!
    Thought I'd give my 2 cents. Both of my vans have been 2WD models and I have had great luck. I sell construction products so off road driving is no stranger to the vehicles. My company van (98) was handed down with 45K and not alot checked off in the service book. I turned it in with 130K 2 years later and one of my customers ended up buying it from our lease agency. It now has 220K and a smashed front fender. My friend does similar duty with his AWD. Granted, he doesn't have to work as hard crossing a jobsite on a rainy day but let's face it, not many people need that type of traction. I think the AWD should be looked at only if snow, off-road driving (camping) or other constant traction defficient driving condition is present.
    The AWD obviously adds to the mechanical complexity of the van. I'm told the front end and transfer case of the AWD is similar to the S10 units and can be swapped if necessary. S10s are plentiful in the wrecking yards. AWD Astros are not. A custom length front drive shaft is necessary. So if you wanted the better mpg of RWD but wanted to retain some poor traction and lose some of the issues related to the AWD transfer case, consider this swap.

See http://www.overlandvans.com
  • rockenbachrockenbach Member Posts: 10
    2 cents are very helpful, thanks dadoftay! I have a 1992 Astro CL EXT with 88K and I have had great luck with it. SOOOO, I am now considering yet another new Astro(RWD LT 2004 perhaps?). Do you know what (if any) major changes GM has made to the Astro since 92 that might change my opinion of this being a reliable van? Have there been "better" Astro years than others? Was 1992 a "good" year??? I do agree with your comment "Yes I maintain mine to the letter, but you get back what you put in". Is it possible that this is the key in being a happy Astro owner? The mechanic the I use for both of my vehicles(we also have a 1990 Olds) has voiced a concern about the Astro ABS system. Is there a bad history in this area over the years? He REALLY does not care for the AWD idea on an Astro. Any bad history on this? I sure do appreciate all comments ! ! !
    Thanks,
    Jock
    Wasn't really responding to your question, just sorta broadcasting.
    Unfortunately I don't know of any "good years" for the Astro/Safaris. I do know in '03 they added a little more pep to the engine and some emission features (I'm assuming the emissions delete the power gains) but pretty much straight forward Astro. The only thing I never cared for was the dash configuration in the pre-95. Alot of reaching for radio controls and sliding that HVAC knob up and down. My wife drives a 92 S-10 and the flashbacks are unmerciful. You also eliminate the regular versus extended configurations of the body. Hey, get another 1-1/2 feet of cargo floor if your gonna buy, I say! I can only say from what I've driven: the '98 was a true workhorse (still is, see previous post) and my '00 doesn't show any signs of slowing down. As far as the servicing goes I have heard that since these vans are the "dinosaurs" of minivans that perfect service isn't a must-have. There isn't as much to go wrong in other words. I'm with you, my next one will be a 03-04 LS (LT a little out of $ range). You can't find the combination of size (both interior/cargo and exterior manuverability) and in my situation, ground clearance with another van.
  • riccd2001riccd2001 Member Posts: 12
    According to one "expert" it seems the newer the better...

http://www.lemonaidcars.com/cgi-bin/search/proxy.pl?terms=astro&a- mp;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lemonaidcars.com%2Ftruck-van.htm

However, during the last 10" snow dump on our street, my neighbour's fairly new '00 RWD Astro got stuck trying to access the main road nearby, whereas my well-used old '94 AWD Safari had no problem. Maybe my extra clearance made the difference?
    WOW!!! Never seen 10" of snow in the South.. well, maybe if you added up all the winters....no, still don't think so. Hey, don't get me wrong, AWD has its place (ground clerance is the same, by the way) but I never see snow and I can drive my 2WD further through muddy conditions than most can take an AWD van. I think I still would have laughed at your neighbor if I was you. :) I guess with almost anything, newer year models are better ie: new safety improvements, power gains, creature comforts, bodys designs, etc. I know insurance doesn't like my S-10 because there aren't safety features on it. Of course, the steel bumpers and real frame don't help in a crash anymore, I guess.
  • rbritlandrbritland Member Posts: 11
    I've had a '93 AWD since new, now have 104,000 on it and wouldn't buy another witout AWD. It has been excellent for traction and has never given me a single problem. Isn't too bad on gas milage either.
  • obus100obus100 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Guys

I have a new LS 2003 and rather than buy the $4000 LT package just to get a leather wrapped steering wheel, I picked a line new one up from a 2000 at a local bone yard from a 99 which I understand is the same GM part number.

How do I get the SRS pod out of the middle and then the steering wheel off?

I certainly do not want to blow up the air bag!

I bet I have to disconnect the battery and then what?

I could take it to the dealer to have them install it but I would like to save the $100 for them to do it. But not if I have to disconnect and test all sorts of electrical circuits and still end up blowing up the air bag and costing myself $2000 or so.

Please let me know if anyone has had any experience with this.

I also received from Santa a wood trim kit and I need to get inside the glass/plastic cover on the instrument panel. How do I go about that?

Thanks for any help

Dennis O
    turnkey@new.rr.com
  • creidcreid Member Posts: 54
    I wanted to pose a question to those Safari/Astro owners w/ the AWD feature. What is your typical gas mileage with your van? I have had my van for 2 years now and my gas mileage has been horrible, we would love to trade the van but the resale is also horrible. We average 13 in the city (feather light acceleration) & 16 on the hwy consistenly (at 70mph). This winter w/o warmup of engine our gas mileage was a consistent 11.5 mpg. We do have the 3.73 rear so possibly this is the cause, also on startup in the garage the exhaust fumes are extremely heavy but maybe this is normal. Any inputs would help.
    Thanks.
  • apmapm Member Posts: 11
    I've got the '99 safari and consistently get 1 mpg better mpg than you report around town. On the highway I get 18mpgs. I had a '93 Astro also w/ RWD and although it was slower and seemed to run abit rougher it would get about 14 mpg in town and up to 20 mpg on the road. The '93 started at 50k to blow oil smoke at warm up (valve seals) until I traded at over 100k. I'm happy so far at trade off what seems more power and durability (?) for 1mpg.
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    We have a '99 Astro AWD; city mileage is 12 to 13 mpg, highway is 17 to 18. I agree it's painful.
  • tprvtprv Member Posts: 2
    need advice on new van;came over from the windstar site-what a nightmare (even though wife had a 98 for a while w/no probs;have always liked view in astro's;have just started on this board, so may find what i need to know
    13 is what I get in city also. 2001 cargo 3.42 axle. How much better are the 2wd in the city?

Sammy Castagna
    13 mpg??...yes, the 2WD van is better. You're ok with 13mpg, buy a Suburban for the AWD, V8, space, towing, good looks, oh..and same mileage. My '00 2WD cargo gets 17city and 19-20hwy with the 3.42 rear end and I drive pretty hard. Yes, I document every fill up. Again, I go back to how bad do you need AWD. If you need it-suffer. If you don't- why suffer?
    I was not complaining just wondering. I bought the Safari because I had to have a cargo van to use for work. I got the AWD because I wanted it.

Sammy Castagna
  • juliansjulians Member Posts: 42
    I have a 1991 Astro. It blows a good size puff of smoke at start up. Seems to run good after that, maybe a bad smelling exaust. No loosing oil, coolant, anything. How much should I expect to pay for a valve job? Is it even worth getting one done?
    It's nice to see someone who doesn't whine about AWD. I have a buddy in the same line of work I'm in, we both have Safaris (his AWD, mine 2WD) but he's always with the "man, the mileage...whaaah the mileage" then why did you buy it?! At least you got it and like it.
    I had an Jeep CJ that did the same thing your van does, but my problem was where the oil would drip past the valve seal overnight. I tried oils that were "made for older cars" and they worked a little. Depends on the mileage your motor has clocked as to the work you should do. My Jeep had 120K, so I left it alone.
  • topseatopsea Member Posts: 47
    I grew up around Suburbans but I have an AWD Astro because it will carry more cargo(with the seats out) than a Suburban. When GM finally kills the Astro I'll probably have to go to an AWD Express or Savanna.

My Astro has a 3.73 locking dif and I don't complain about the mileage as it gets about the same as my Mom's Suburban. My Astro is a business vehicle and it has the space and guts to get me around the northwest with all my "stuff".
    Amen to our vans and that room inside. I keep trying to talk my better half into a Safari/Astro but her friends all drive SUVs and you know it's hard to be cool and practical at the same time...hahaha:) I hope GM realizes that, if nothing else, removal of these vans would be detrimental to their fleet/commercial sales enough to warrant a second look.
  • grc4grc4 Member Posts: 15
    Well...after 20 years of Astro Vans, I finally gave up on the depreciation and on going maintenance of this van. Don't get me wrong, I love the utility of this van and the interior design. However, I can't continue to absorb the repairs and the depreciation of this vehicle. I just traded a 2000 Astro Van with 86,000 miles that needed a transmission, shocks, door window motor, door lock actuator, front rotors, carb kit and battery. Likewise in three years, I have replaced two door actuators, three window latches, transmission cooler hose, two sets of front brake pads, two sets of tires, several batteries, couple shocks & door switch. After all of that, then your hit with the market depreciation & Van depreciation on top of it.

And then the final straw was Chevy making the 7 passenger seating option available on the top LT model only.

So, the bottom line is, if you can afford all of the maintenance and depreciation of this van, it a great vehicle. But if you are an average American with a family that has other obligations, this vehicle is not for you.

Take care.
  • creidcreid Member Posts: 54
    I know your pain, I was looking at trading my 2001 AWD Safari SLT w/ leather, 7 pass, tow pkg, run bds, locker rear and all the goodies w/ 19K miles & the best trade offer was 11K. The van cost $33K new, so I will pay it off and keep it before I get robed due to the very poor depreciation this vehicle has.
  • grc4grc4 Member Posts: 15
    This was the same thing that I was face with last year. I was going to trade the van last year for another van but was offered $9,500 for a $25,000 Van that was two years old. If you get good reliable from the van, I would keep it also. The only improvement that I have notice in 20 years has been the tie rods and idler arms. Other than that, the Astro Van has been basically the same.

In 20 years, I have owned 9 vans and love everyone of them except for the previous stated problems.

Good luck with yours!
    I guess they do not hold their value because of being unreliable. Consumer Reports gave them terrible marks in the latest Annual Auto Issue.

Sammy
  • coonhoundcoonhound Member Posts: 174
    My daughter and son-in-law had an old used 87 Astro and they had to replace the water pump and alternator so they gave it to the Salvation Army with only slightly over 200,000 miles on it.

I had a 94 Co. driver that I drove 88,000 miles and then purchased it. I don't know why I bought the problem vehicle as I had had to replace the spark plugs twice.

I traded it for a 97 Astro program vehicle with 27,000 miles on it. I had to have an injector replaced under warranty. Rear pinion seal, serpintine belt, also under warranty. But it only has 45,000 miles at this time as I only use it to tow a 30' RV.. And the fuel mileage is atrocious, only getting 14 to 15 mpg in tow, and 21 solo Hyway. Forgot, I did put a set of brake pads and rear shoes on at around 38,000 miles. Not required but I installed Monroe load levelers on the rear and KYB monomax shocks on the front.
    All I am saying is that it appears that the problems per 1000 vehicles is way out of line for Safari/Astro, and most of GMC's other products as well.

Sammy Castagna
    I have 18,000 miles on a 2001 AWD Safari. I was looking through the manual and I saw something that I had overlooked, and something that no one had suggested while taking the vehicle to the dealership for service. The manual said replace the limited slip differential oil at the first oil change needless to say I am late. It was high $100.

Sammy Castagna
  • jflynn65jflynn65 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I just got my 2000 Astro LS out of the body shop, where it's been laid up for seven weeks. It needed to have the engine cradle/frame replaced. Anyway, when my wife and I got it back after driving rentals, etc, we both wondered if the steering wheel had been swapped. It is now sporting a black wheel, and we both thought it used to be brown. But we could just be imaging things. So the question is this - what color steering wheel/column surround should there be in a 2000 Astro LS with brown interior?

As far as the other threads here, we get about 20 mpg in our 2000 AWD-equipped Astro on the highway, anywhere from 12-16 city. No major issues since purchase in 9/2000. Only warranty repair was the driver's side power window switch (2 times).
    jflynn65,
    I can not help you with the wheel color. But what is the engine cradle/frame? Where the engine sits? What made it go bad and what were the symptoms?

Sammy
  • jflynn65jflynn65 Member Posts: 6
    Sammy,

My Astro was involved in a collision. We were stopped, and a stolen car careened through an intersection and hit us on the left front corner doing about 30 or so. His car, Ford Focus, wrapped around the left front corner of the van and was completely destroyed. I was able to drive the van to the dealership. Turned out that the frame was bent, in addition to the visible damage (hood and fender). Rather than straighten the frame, they replaced it. Part cost is about $2500, and 17 hours or so of labor (all front suspension needs to come out, engine/tranny/xfer case disconnected, etc). Total bill for all repair work was $7200.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Sammy
    I'm not sure on the brown interior, but my 98 had blue interior with black wheel and column and my 00 has pewter with black wheel and column. If your airbag deployed in the crash they may have replaced the wheel/column with a new air bag/wheel. May want to check with the body shop.