Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• dej0dej0 Member Posts: 36
    Edwin,
    Congrats on the new car. Did they tell you anything about a break in period? The Audi guy in Cary never said a word. I have been taking it easy so far. Yesterday was a great day for a drive.

Ned
    Hey Gang,
    Anyone thinking about going to one of the various driving schools Audi now offers? I read about it on the web site. When we took delivery of my wife's 325, I went to the BMW plant in SC. They gave us a short driving school course. It was loads of fun, and I left with a taste for more. I am curious if the Audi school teaches more about using the quattro feature to its fullest.

Ned
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The Audi driving school, which I have attended four times now, is the most important and one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had the pleasure to undertake. Several of the folks in my company, their spouses and my wife and I attended in January 2001 together. We enjoyed it so much and felt its value to be so great -- and that it was a spectacular bargin, we have decided to do it again together in 2003 (my wife and I went "along for the ride" in 2002, again). Shhhhh. Germany and Austria in January are FANTASTIC (and the crowds are minimal -- its like you have Munich and Innsbruck to yourself!).

Here is what we wrote the editor of the quattro club of America -- we are all (8 of us went together) members:

On Friday, January 19, 2001 eight excited Cincinnati residents and Audi owners departed the Cincinnati airport bound for the Holy Land - Inglostadt, Germany - the home of Audi AG, of course.

First stop, Munich - what a fun city, what a great time. Munich is truly a magical worldly city that is incredible to visit and is simultaneously a place in which most Americans would thoroughly enjoy living. Indeed, Munich had each member of our group under her spell - we all still are scheming for a return visit. Three of our group had been to Munich previously - my wife and I have had the great joy of visiting this city over a dozen times within the last few years; and, another member of our group, Mike Jarvis has been to Munich on two other occasions including Oktoberfest.

We checked into the luxurious five-star Bayerischer Hof, in the center of the walking district of the city - just off the Marienplatz. As it was just after 11 AM Saturday, we could not yet get into our rooms so we all decided to take a brief walk and have some lunch.

We walked the pedestrian only Fussgangerzone to the Glockenspiel, took in the sights, sounds and smells of this grand spectacle and headed for one of the best delicatessens on the Planet - the Alois Dallmayr. The Dallmayer is Germany's most famous delicatessen. After looking at its irresistible array of delicacies from around the world, you will think you have found a Royal Supermarket.

We took a quick tour of this bustling indoor fresh food shop - which in many ways reminds the Frequent Traveler of the fabulous food halls at Harrod's in London. We then made our way to the second floor restaurant for a delicious meal including fresh green salad, soup, breads and some excellent German white wine.

Recommendation #1: visit and dine at the Dallmayer.

Afterwards, we all took a much-needed 3-hour nap - the key component of our anti-jet-lag regimen -followed by hot showers and even hotter coffee or chocolate or the American standby, Coke. Another walk through the city center: a left, a right and another left turn and we found ourselves at the famous Munich watering hole - the Hofbrauhaus. Inside, we introduced our first-time-to-Munich companions to the Hofbrauhaus tradition of sitting at long picnic tables and drinking beer with total strangers. As usual, when we left the table we had made four new friends, exchanged e-mail addresses and had raised our glasses many times in song. What fun!

Recommendation #2: even if you are not a beer drinker, stop into the Hofbrauhaus for some true Munich hospitality and revelry.

Back to the hotel to freshen up and on to one of the truly spectacular dining experiences you will ever have: an "evening" at the French-German restaurant, Tantris. Our original 8 travelers were joined by Joe and Karen Chadwick (of quattro club fame) for an 8 course, four and one half-hour food extravaganza (although it is tempting to call it a food orgy).
    If you are contemplating coming to a future Audi Driving Experience in Germany, this is an evening that is absolutely worth every pfennig of the approximately 350 DM per person tab. No restaurant in Munich even comes close to equaling this place. You will be tempted to use this restaurant as the standard to which you compare all others - no matter in what continent, country or city. It is just that good.

According to two members of our group, Mike Jarvis and the aforementioned Ms. Chadwick, " . . .this is the best restaurant in the world!" Possibly. Yet, undoubtedly, Tantris must be one of the best on anybody's list.

Recommendation #3: when in Munich, do not miss this experience. Save your money, mortgage your house - dine at Tantris.

Sunday morning our group took a three-hour bus tour of Munich, which included stops at the site of the 1972 Olympics and the summer palace Schloss Nymphenburg. Although Nymphenburg is best appreciated in spring and summer, it is still a grand winter spectacle nonetheless. The palace facade is in a restrained baroque style. The palace interior is less restrained, however. Upon entering the main building, you are in the great hall, beautiful with rococo colors and stuccos. There are frescoes depicting incidents from mythology, especially those dealing with the goddess of spring, Flora, and her nymphs - the origin of the palace's name.

Recommendation #4: take this tour - especially if, like us, you arrive in Munich on Saturday morning and leave for Ingolstadt Monday morning.

Sunday evening, we dined with the quattro club members - in the hotel's cellar restaurant. We ate and drank traditional German food and beer, which is to say very good (especially the beer), and had a delightful and somewhat rowdy evening with our fellow club members.

Recommendation #5: dine with the club members - and use this event to pick your partner for the upcoming driving experience. Our group chose not to drive with spouses - in hindsight, a wise choice.

Monday morning the bus Audi provided took the 40 members of the quattro club north to the city of Ingolstadt - the Holy Land - home of Audi AG. At Audi Headquarters we enjoyed lunch with Audi executives, the "factory tour," a visit to the newly opened Audi Museum, and then we capped off our visit with time in the Audi Boutique. One quattro club member, Joe Savage, remarked, " . . .I thought I was buying a car, what I got was a lifestyle." A three-hour bus ride on the autobahn south to Seefeld, Austria followed.

Recommendation #6: take the tour, visit the museum and leave the Audi Boutique richer - with your DM - than you found it.
    If there is such a thing as a six-star ski-resort hotel, Audi found it in the hamlet of Seefeld, Austria. The Hotel Alpenkoenig, like Tantris, may just be the standard against which other resort-hotels can be judged. Remarkably, this hotel even offered cosmetic surgery - which is worth mentioning simply because it is novel.

Tuesday morning 7 AM: breakfast in the hotel followed by a one-hour class to introduce the drivers to the theory and terminology that would be used throughout the training. Our instructors presented explanations of oversteer and understeer coupled with graphics depicting the differences between front, rear and all-wheel drive vehicles. Of course we already knew that all-wheel drive is the best configuration and too that the Audi quattro system is the best all-wheel drive.

Next, to the cars and almost two days of driving exercises (on ice) - some timed some not - culminating in a competition. The Audi instructors laid out a course on the ice that put together all the elements of each driving exercise into one huge track. Driving skills in braking, steering, power sliding, lane changing, and obstacle avoidance, etc. were all required in this exercise. Orange cones delimited the course, and if a driver hit a cone it was considered a five-second penalty. You can imagine - on a course where a really good time was one minute twenty seconds, a hit of five seconds is unrecoverable - the adrenaline flowed.

For the uninitiated or uniformed - and, several of the spouses of avid quattro club members fall into this category - explanations of the value and sheer enjoyment of this experience, no matter how eloquent, are inadequate. In fact we had four in our group that were - initially - reluctant to take the class, thinking it would be boring or perhaps difficult.

After completing the course, here is what one of those formerly reluctant participants, my wife, had to say:

"I think that the Audi Driving Experience is a remarkable program because it teaches participants to simulate real-life situations and learn how the auto will respond and also how the driver will respond. The instructors become coaches and prepare us to handle these situations in a safe and responsive manner. The course is, in essence, more than a virtual reality tour of the instruction manual that comes with the car - it's reality itself. "

- Tina Topazio

Two other first-time drivers, Dale and Paula Perry were also enthusiastic as you can see in the following note to Karen Chadwick:

"Paula and I wish to thank you for giving us the opportunity to visit Seefeld, Austria and attend the spectacular Audi Driving Experience. It was certainly a treat to have discussions with you and all the friendly people in the quattro club. We both loved the beautiful five-star hotel Audi selected in Seefeld. Audi could not have picked a better place to stay to experience some of the culture in Austria. The dinners were marvelous and the company was even better. We really enjoyed our visit in Munich, Seefeld, and especially the visit to Ingolstadt to take the Audi factory tour. Witnessing the production of an Audi was certainly a wonderful sight to see.

The Audi Driving Experience was no less than the most exhilarating educational experience we have ever had. We enjoyed learning the fundamentals of understeer and oversteer. Learning how to handle the Audi A4s in several adverse situations was an invaluable experience. We were certainly taught by the best in the business."

- Dale Perry

Joe and Sherri Savage, A4 owners (and a mini-van) had this to say:

"The time and effort put into organization of the trip were obvious. Things ran very smoothly for such a large group (40 people). We enjoyed the opportunity to meet and socialize with other Audi owners. The driving instruction was first rate. The knowledge and skill of the instructors exceeded our expectations.

The hotel was spectacular in every way: food, scenery, services; and my wife enjoyed her massage and the hotel's spa. Perhaps the most satisfying, for me, is that Sherri, my wife, now has greater confidence in getting behind the wheel of not only our A4, but our mini-van as well. The potentially life saving information was itself worth the price of the trip.

The Audi driving experience is something that I wish every driver could experience (all other car companies, please listen.)"

- Joe Savage
    Moreover, the statement most often repeated by the participants was, "I think the Audi Driving Experience is a blast!"

We had some incredible surprises including a guest-star visit from legendary Audi racecar driver, Walter Rohrl. What a rush to be given not one but two laps around the ice-course with Rohrl behind the wheel of a 2002 A4 quattro. Wheeeee!

The Audi Driving Experience is incredibly valuable - it could save your life. It is fun - way beyond fun, it is exciting. To borrow from Audi's advertising campaign, it is the realization of "Joy!"

For even the most jaundiced, disinterested or bored, the experience is an amazing vacation - filled with five-star dining and lodging in an indescribably beautiful setting (the snow covered mountains of Austria). Add to this the romance of a sleigh ride, camaraderie and top-notch driver education and you have what is most certainly a once in a lifetime experience.

Recommendation #7: do not miss the Audi Driving Experience. Immerse yourself in it and savor every second of the time from the minute you land in Munich to the moment you depart for home. The time goes by so very quickly - hopefully you will find that this experience changes your life. It has changed ours.

PS the cost of all of this less than $1,000 per person plus plane tickets (about $600 round trip). Shopping and beer (of course) extra.
    Wow,
    Mark, that was awesome. I'll have to save that one. Have you considered one of the new programs Audi is offering in the States? They have one in Atlanta, about 6 hours from where I live, plus I have friends there. I will actually be going to Germany this Fall, so I will save your advice on where to go.

Ned
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    You advice is even helpful to a future BMW owner as I plan to purchase a 325Ci via European Delivery. Thank you.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    There's also the totally free Audi Quattro Challenge. I went to the one in Chicago in 2001 and had a blast. Go to www.audiusa.com, under Experience Audi, and then under Quattro Challenge. It's not as exhaustive as the paid ones like what Mark said or the driving schools, but heck it's a lot of fun. Plus they show you what your own vehicle can do by taking your car to the limits (traction wise), except high-speed lapping which Audi provides all S cars and a few A6 4.2's. At the driving schools you use their vehicles.

Audi is going to do it again this year for free for a very limited number of Audi drivers. It's not official yet as it's not showing up on the website yet. Call 1-800-FOR-AUDI and ask them about this year's Quattro Challenge, and I know they are registering for 4 of the tracks.

Billy
    I have considered the US offerings, but after Munich and Seefeld, I can't imagine doing it anywhere else but The Holy Land.
    If you are going to Germany and or Austria and or Italy and want some hotels and restaurants, email me and I'll give you some names (I will not be very helpful for Rome however). But I read the BMW brochure and they have, as I recall, mapped out some very nice routes to drive and places to stay and dine.

I try to trade spots with others who have been there done that and would be happy to do so with you.
    When the time comes, I'll definitely drop you a line as you seem to be a seasoned traveler to the motherland. I'm actually planning on doing 3 cities in 10 days while I am in Europe (I'd like to do more, but budget & vacation day constraints prohibit it): Munich, Berlin, & Amsterdam.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I have, as of 2001, been to Amsterdam twice. It is a city that is easy for Americans -- language wise -- since the first word out of people's mouths is usually English. However, the city has so many parts to it that are "seedy" (and I'm not even talking about the infamous Red Light District), that I found myself glad to leave it behind.

On a positive note, Ann Franke's home is not to be missed, as are many of the "pubs" (assuming you know that they are choked with smoke) -- the people are very gregarious and friendly and I felt no real danger of any kind (other than from pickpockets -- Amsterdam must be the home of Pickpocket University). Take a boat tour of the canals -- this too is a very enjoyable experience. Good food -- you bet. And, Amsterdam is the home of Vincent's museum -- which is also quite nice (my favorite painting is The Potato Eaters).

But, I'll wager Amsterdam will become a place that you'll say -- "been there done that!"

Some of the German cities on the other hand you'll want to return to again and again!
    While my girlfriend and I are young (26), we'd like to do Amsterdam and enjoy it for the "been there, done that" factor of it. Pickpockets & Seedy neighborhoods...I take the NYC Subways to and from work every day and have frequently been to areas of The Bronx that certain artists Rap about, but will take your warning seriously. I've read to watch out for pickpockets all over Europe. Thanks again for your resourseful information.

I'm still going to look at an A4 1.8T, but the European Delivery thing is almost too good to pass up especailly since my girlfriend and had been planning on going to Europe around that time anyway. And I'm not a BMW loyalist either. I convinced my parents (well pushed them to the dealership anyway) to get an A6 3.0Q after they've been driving MBs for the last 12 years. I do think the A4 is an awesome car.

My "contact" at Audi of America says that the European delivery program is going to be reinstated soon -- so, if you are not already ready to pull the trigger on the Bimmer and would like to do the same thing but end up with a quattro, now might be the time to at least ask the question to AoA "can I buy in Europe for USA delivery?"

The worst they can say is --"nope!"

I would love to buy an Audi in Europe and drive it on the autobahn from Munich to Garmish in the late fall or ealy winter. The drive to Mad Ludwig's castle Neuschwanstein from Munich is particularly uh, er -- AWESOME! I did it in a rented E class Mercedes in late September 2000 -- wish it could have been in a new S4!
    I've still got the better part of 8 months left on the lease of my Saab. I've got to do a nice lengthy back to back test drive of each one to determine what my ultimate choice will be. I'm leaning heavily towards the BMW (I hear some people hissing at me now). The race would be closer if I were leasing, but I plan to buy this time around. While both cars have their advantages and disadvantages (no need to start an Audi vs. BMW argument here), I simply love the looks of the BMW 3 series coupe. Again, it is all a matter of personal taste for me. But you're right, it doesn't hurt to ask!

I consider BMW's fine cars -- and when I win one, I will not feel like I have won a booby prize.

I am currently not looking to debate BMW vs Audi either. I do wish you would consider the BMWs that have four driven wheels, though. And, I'll leave it at that.

Please keep us posted.
    Is amazing. I've said it time and time again. If I buy an Audi, I want quattro. If I buy a BMW, I want RWD.

• bluetranebluetrane Member Posts: 67
    I picked up my new Avant on Monday. A few initial impressions follow:

- Wow, what fun to drive. I've never had a car that is fun to drive before.

- I got the 1.8T with the Tiptronic. there is plenty of power/torque to suit my driving style (YMMV).

- Handling is superb. I really have to fight the temptation to take curves at excessive speed.

- There was some last minute dickering with the dealer over price, mainly the lease money factor. We ended up splitting the difference between AoA's rate and what they wanted to charge. I did the multiple security deposit thing to further lower the payment. All in all, a pleasant experience.

- Did I mention it's fun to drive?

Rick
    I absolutely like the new A4 Avant. If I were in the market now to get an A4, it'll be an Avant and not the sedan.

What's the color combo and options on your Avant?

Congrats and enjoy!

Billy
  • cybersolcybersol Member Posts: 91
    Sorry, this has probably been addressed here before, but I cannot find a good search feature within a board.

So, does the new A4 sedan have significantly more knee room in the rear seats than the old one? I hit my knees in the old one, but it was close, so I am hoping the new one is better.

Any helpful comments or observations would be appreciated?
    I like my sedan, but if I were going to get a wagon of any kind, the Avant would top my list. My wife and I are still in the never own a wagon or a minivan stage. We both grew up with the huge LTD Country Squires or GM equivalents. I am confident we will never own a minivan, but we might over come the wagon thing someday.

Ned
    Cybersol,
    I found that there is definately more space in the rear of the '02 A4 compared to my '97. Not a huge amount, but more. I drove a bunch of people from work around the other day, and those in the back did not complain at all. I also noticed that my 2 year old had more trouble kicking the seat in front of her from her car seat. This is a good thing.

Ned
  • equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    Take a look at the newest road test of the A4 on Edmund's home page. It seems to really sum up their feelings of the A4 vs. the BMW.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The article equalizer mentions is now accessible from the Helpful Links box on the left sidebar of this page.

"Edmunds.com Says: A solid homerun from Ingolstadt."

Check it out!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Four years ago, my wife and I were in the same frame of mind as you, we then owned a 1995 Passat GLX 5-Speed and a 1995 Neon Sport 5-Speed. So, there we were, two cars, two kids (2 and 5), and plenty of family and friends that did not own cars (we live in the NYC metro area).

One day, after having to deal with taking two cars to a number of occasions, I said to my wife, "Ummm, Dear, ummm, I think it would be wise if we considered a MiniVan." She said, "Do they come with a Stick Shift?" Me, "Ummm, well, they used to, however, I don't think they are available any longer." She then said, "Well, I'm not driving it, you are going to have to drive it."

That ended the conversation for a few months. Then one night, I "Borrowed" a nice Grand Caravan ES from a local dealership, and picked her up from the NYC bus. She liked it so much, that we bought one that night, just in time for our summer vacation (3 adults, 2 kids and LOTS of camping gear). We now must concede that we will most likely have a MiniVan in our family until the kids are in college. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I believe I have seen past stories of you and your minivan out racing certain imports in NYC (when you aren't driving your 3 series sedan). ;-) Did you really haul the whole family down to Myrtle Beach, SC in one? I agree that they have come a very long way from where they were 10 years ago. However, I must say either an A4 or A6 Avant or a 5 series wagon would be more our cup of tea. My wife also must drive a stick, though she liked the steptronic in the 3 series we test drove. Still, you got to keep an open mind as you get older. I'll also be sure to keep a look out for a fast moving minivan around NYC next time I drive North to visit the family. ;-)

Have a great day. I get to look forward to another beautiful drive home with my sunroof open.

Ned
    While your minivan is your well known other vehicle here on TH, I wouldn't let on to the guys on the 3 series thread that you had a Neon;) LOL!

I gotta tell ya, that Neon was a lot of fun, WAY more fun than my VR6 Passat GLX, granted, it was no where near as comfortable to drive for more than an hour at a stretch. We actually took it on vacation to Duck, NC one year, OUCH!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Billy - my car is a 1.8T, Dolphin/Platinum Tip with pretty much all the options except Sport and Bose (my ears aren't good enough to tell the difference in stereos and I thought the Sport Package was a little rough for my taste)

dejO - this thing is the "anti-Family Truckster" if there ever was such a thing. I'm coming from an SUV and I really think I'm getting the best of both worlds

Cybersol - rear leg room is tough to judge objectively. I'm 6' and when I adjust the driver's seat to be comfortable, I can sit in the seat behind be comfortably. I'm not sure i'd want to drive 1000 miles that way, but it's not bad at all. I can't compare it to the '01

Shipo - I won't be worried about you until you give up the bimmer for a Segway. Minivans are the epitome of practicality, but my wife won't drive one (too big for her) and although I am a suburban dad with a mortgage, part of my ego rebels against it, and that part had the final say :)
  • mod62mod62 Member Posts: 38
    I want to get the PP on the Avant but I am concerned about the 235/45's because of the NY Metro area driving I do. Feedback on swaps and possibility of 50 or 55 aspect ratio fitting in the wheel well with 17 inch rims. Also, what manufacture(s) does Audi use for their tires. I did not pick up that detail when I checked them out. Thx
  • brick22brick22 Member Posts: 71
    It was great to hear that your avant came through the tunnel. How long from the day you placed the order until you received the car? The avant I ordered is also dolphin grey. I remember liking it really well one sunny day in the middle of winter a few months ago, but ever since you mentioned the avant comes in atlas grey, I've been a little tempted to switch. I still haven't seen atlas grey in person, except maybe on an all-road. I know it's lighter, but not silver. It seems a smoother sort of gun metal grey. Less prone to sparkle--Have you seen both colors side by side? Congratulations and have fun. It's hard to wait.
    It took just over 2 months from order to delivery. I was actually hoping for longer, as my previous lease isn't up for another month (thought I had the thing timed perfectly too). There's no escaping Murphy's Law.

The Dolphin is a real head-turner IMHO. I have not seen Atlas Gray, but I don't think there is an ugly color in the bunch. The Platinum interior looks good with the aluminum trim.

Waiting can be tough, but you'll be thrilled with the end result. If you find yourself in the Cincinnati area, I'd be happy to let you drive :)

Rick
  • parquenordparquenord Member Posts: 3
    Got my 1.8T Manual, Amulet Red, Beige Leatherette, Sport Package, Sunroof, Bose Stereo and Xenon lights. Went to dealer (Miramar Audi in San Diego) a week ago today to drive the TT. Moving from a '99 Miata, I decided the TT was not enough of a difference in size and comfort to justify purchase. I researched the A4 and returned to dealer on Wednesday. Got a price of 7% over invoice and money factor of .00235 for 48 months. The car (equipped exactly as I wanted) was located in Woodland Hills (Los Angeles). Dealer picked it up yesterday and I took delivery last night. WOW!! Only one day and I'm already infatuated with my car. Makes the Miata feel like a toy in comparison. Sometimes snap decisions are very rewarding.
    Cincinnati's a ways away! I know what you mean about dolphin being a head turner. I like its quietness and occasional sparkle in the sunshine. Two months! It's been almost one month and as far as I know I'm still in B mode--"Your order has been placed." I can wait.
    That's interesting,Parque. I just sold my 95 miata m-edition about two months ago and ordered an a4 1.8T avant. I'm glad to hear the difference is so noticeable!
  • young21young21 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I'm interested in the A4, and I've driven the 1.8 Quattro. I haven't been able to find a dealer in my area who has had a 1.8 CVT to test drive, and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions to offer. I know the latter is reported to be .7 seconds faster to 60, but was it any faster in the 2 to 3 thousand RPM range (normal launches)? The 1.8 Quattro seemed a bit sluggish there, but I'm also not accustomed to driving turbo charged engines. That is my specific question about the CVT, but general comments would also be welcome. Also, would an aftermarket chip significantly help low-end? Thanks in advance.
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    re. Liz Kim nice "Bose" Stereo evaluation for 02 A4,is it the standard or optional radio in USA. The 02 A4 3.0 comes with a 150 watts Symphony II in Canada. "Bose Premium" 215w 10 Speakers is optional in Canada. I don't know how to get in touch with Liz. Thanks.
    Jean
    The audi display at the NY Auto show was so crowded! I got to sit in an A4 1.8T with a 5 speed and black leatherette. I continue to be impressed with the quality of the interior materials (especailly the leatherette) of the A4. Question though: On the 5 speed 1.8T, reverse is all the way to the right and down, while the 6 speed in the 3.0 has reverse up and to the left. Anybody know why?

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Look at the gray sidebar on the right side of the first page of the article. Towards the bottom, the options on the tested vehicle are listed. Bose Premium Sound System ($650) is in the list.

Just fyi, by following the Help link in the upper right hand corner you'll get to an About Edmunds.com page. Under Information is a link to "About the Editors" - there is where you will find thumbnails and email addresses for each editor.

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    I think it's just the way it is. If you notice, I think in the 6-speed tranny, you need to push down to get to the reverse on the upper left corner, while on the 5-speed tranny (post '99) you don't need to push down to get to the reverse. Of course there is still a mechanism to prohibit you from directly shifting into the reverse from the 5th gear.

Billy
  • no3onno3on Member Posts: 7
    Hi all. Does anyone here know where I could get the caractere body kit for the 02 A4 besides LLTek? Would greatly appreciate any info.
    I'd say you can also ask that question on AudiWorld.com. Those guys are experts in modding cars.

Billy
  • jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
  • khlmdphdkhlmdphd Member Posts: 7
    I took delivery of my 1.8T A4 yesterday at noon! Ming Blue, Beige Leatherette, Sport Package, Glass Roof, Xenons, Heated Seats, 5 sp. manual.

I ordered 1/11, was told that my Audi was produced in the 9th week (of the year), got on a ship 3/8, and my dealer called me last Monday saying that the car was in and I could take delivery on Wednesday.

3 problems noted on the 1st day:

1) I noted that the ride was very bouncy. Any little bump in the road made my whole body bounce up and down and any large bump practically caused me to elevate off my seat. I got the sport package, however, the car I test drove with the sport package did not feel anything like this. I knew something was not right.

2) Scratch on the superior aspect of the rear quarter panal. Noted first on the drivers side then found to be present bilaterally.

3) Vibration sound with the roof fully open when the car hits 35 mph then stops at 40 mph. I figured that the wind causes some part to hit resonance frequency. This problem does not occur when the roof is only partially opened (even just 1 notch from fully open).

Took it back to the dealer today. 1st and 2nd probems fixed. When Audis are shipped, these little orange stabilizer blocks are placed on the shock coils. My service manager told me that all audi have them placed on the front and 1 in 100 have them on the rear as well. Well it turn out that mine had them on the rear and only the front ones were removed.

The scratch was residual glue from the protective plastic coating that was removed easily with a solvent.

I actually forgot to mention the 3rd problem because I have just been using the roof open at 90% and forgot it was a problem. Has anyone else had this problem with their sunroofs?

Otherwise, now with the suspension actually doing its job, the car is perfect! I love driving it around town especially seeing all of those jealous stares as I drive by.
    I am not sure if I have ever driven a car (by any manufacturer) that did not naturally have some resonance. Many cars have a little pop-up spoiler that tweaks the airflow just enough to effectively counter the problem. That said, if you hear it, all you have to do is crack open a window or two, and the pressure pulses will be prevented from occurring.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Congrats on your new car! My mom just got a Ming Blue A6 last Saturday! Gorgeous color. It is so deep and you can just look into it forever.

• khlmdphdkhlmdphd Member Posts: 7
    I actually forgot to mention that I can also solve the problem by doing as you suggested, cracking a window.

Thanks
  • lucas7lucas7 Member Posts: 6
    I actually ordered one pretty loaded for delivery in June/July, but needed a car now since I sold my old one. I took one of very few 3.0 CVT available, which only had the leather/sunroof package and the convenience package. It drives soo smooth and accelerated so fast, its amazing. I can only highly recommend the multitronic.
    I only am paying $430 per month with 36 month lease and $3K down.
    Lucas
    I'm so envious that you have yours already! It's great to hear that some problems are easily resolved. I'm so glad you love driving it. I'm just a little into the first month of my wait. Still have a ways to go.
    Glad you have yours too! I sold my car in February--I never thought I'd be able to go this long without my own car. Now that spring is here, I've even been walking to work. Now I'm thinking I'm going to be so used to walking by the time my car comes in that I won't even need it. Nah--I'll just look for excuses to take those long rides.