Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro

Comments

• swimfan2swimfan2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new 2002 Astro Van and it has leaked water around the front windshield and back doors. I had the dealership go through the van and they found multiple seam leaks both over the b pillar and back around the tail lamp areas. Anyone else have these problems? If noway4 gets this message I would sure like to hear from him or anyone else with these problems!
  • jgd65jgd65 Member Posts: 7
    Well, not sure if this will be of any comfort. I have a 93, that leaks so badly you can hold you head out the window in the rain and not get as wet as sitting in the driver seat ! Have had the windshield checked and that is not the problem.

Jamie
  • frustrated4frustrated4 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone

Im looking for information on my van I had to take it into the repair shop again and he said I was burning fuel. Well I told him before that it was using alot of gas. He said it could be the fuel pump but things that I have read about and some of the symptoms it doesnt have it always starts so no problem there I do use fuel injector cleaner because with my job it does go low on fuel. So what do you think other than what the mechanic said and yes it uses alot of fuel could it be the fuel pump, and does anyone know how much that cost to repair? thanks Heath
  • ezssssezssss Member Posts: 1
    Have a a 91 astro van with ABS. The cylinder in the front calipers won't release after the break is applied. If I bleed a small amount of fluid, the wheel will break free. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Ed Cook
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    A fuel pump does nothing but pump fuel. It has no bearing on fuel consumption. The one in my '98 was very noisy and failed, but it pumped until it died with no bearing on fuel consumption. Fuel pump efficiency is measured at the fuel rail, - usually about 50 PSI.
  • jadoobirsinghjadoobirsingh Member Posts: 2
    In the Haynes manual it says that the relay on the fire wall to the left is for the fuel pump, but looking at the wires, none of the colors match. Also for checking for voltage on the connector to the fuel pump, what should you read there? I've read all 44 pages, and have gotten some ideas. My Ford Taurus had similar problems with the fuel pump, but it turned out to be the integrated control module connectorbad connection. I have a '94 Safari XLT, it's getting fire, but as of yet, I can't determine when and what points on which relay, I'm supposed to get voltage. I would really like some more advice in additional to what you guys have given.
  • jadoobirsinghjadoobirsingh Member Posts: 2
    In the Haynes manual it says that the relay on the fire wall to the left is for the fuel pump, but looking at the wires, none of the colors match. Also for checking for voltage on the connector to the fuel pump, what should you read there? I've read all 44 pages, and have gotten some ideas. My Ford Taurus had similar problems with the fuel pump, but it turned out to be the integrated control module connector bad connection. I have a '94 Safari XLT, it's getting fire, but as of yet, I can't determine when and what points on which relay, I'm supposed to get voltage. I would really like some more advice in additional to what you guys have given.
  • racetrackmommaracetrackmomma Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced the motor and the window will go up but won't go down. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I have also replaced the window switch and checked the fuses which are fine.
  • vemmyvemmy Member Posts: 1
    Please Help!! When driving on the highway or over hills my van suddenly develops a Clunk Sound. The first time it occured I thought we had been hit in the rear. The Clunk eventually stops or goes away but always returns after driving high speeds of 90km or more.
    Any Idea's what could be wrong?
    Also, my wiper motor is only working itermitantly. I see this is a problem for some other owners out there. What did you do to fix the problem? And dis the dealership do a re-call for this problem?
  • sailor5296sailor5296 Member Posts: 1
    I have replaced everything, I have a vibration @ about 50 mph, seems to come and go, shakes van bad thou. I have replaced the u joint, redone all the brakes (new), because it seemed to vibrate more when you stepped on the brake. Serviced the transmission,,(don't think it is trans)what do you think about the hydro booster?
  • gmetzgmetz Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    I just purchased a 1999 Astro van, the van did not come with a owner's manual. I cannot figure how to reset the trip computer, I would like to see what my average MPG when I re-fuel.
    Thanks in advance,
    Glenn
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Push the lever in for the trip/odometer. When the trip is showing push the lever again and hold it in for 3-5 seconds and the trip will reset to zero. Then push it again to get back to the odometer. If you push it and release right away when the trip is showing it will not reset.
    cob,
    Thanks for the quick reply, I knew after I typed in my question that I did not explain it very well and I could not figure out how to edit it. I was wondering how to reset the trip computer in the overhead unit that has the compass and thermometer on it.
    Thanks,
    Glenn
  • tkwtkw Member Posts: 29
    It doesn't sound like the fuel pump to me. The fuel pump on my '98 Safari failed just 50 mi out of warranty and it costs an arm and a leg to replace. :cry: The symptom was intermittent no start and stalling in traffic. And fuel pump malfunction wouldn't register a trouble code in the computer. It have to be replaced with the whole work including the sending unit and parts alone was close to $1k CDN. Labor was around 1 hour or so.
  • medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    :surprise: Ours was only $450 USD.
    Auto parts generally cost more in Canada. The Autopact only cover auto production. Most of the spare parts are manufactured in the US and Canadian consumer have to pay a lot more. $1k CDN = $750-$800 US. That was including 14% sales tax. It was a while ago and I could be off by 10% by memory. But don't you think $450 + tax & labour is expensive for a lousy fuel pump.
    I have no idea about the clunk. But the wiper motor's intermittent control circuit board is prone to break down. I know so because I had my old '87 and this '98 both failed. The tell tale is it doesn't park at the bottom position or it can't be shut off at times.
  • 2001astrolt2001astrolt Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 Astro LT AWD. There is a vibration that sounds like I just drove over rumble-strips or a Texas gate on th highway. It happens right around 55 mph. Usually I notice it lasts about 2 or 3 seconds and repeats about 3 times. I notice it again when I slow past about 50 and speed back up.

Had my mechanic check tires and wheels (rotated front to back as well) to negate an out of round or un-balanced wheel. Also had the transfer case(s) and tranny serviced - fluid and filter.

Any ideas?

Also, I have found the wire bundle by the jack, and was wondering if there are trailer brakes wired in here somewhere.

Thanks for your help.
    Just push in both buttons together and hold for quite a while (30 seconds?)
  • medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    Yeah, I thought it was expensive, but the alternative would literally be: Having a dead van. :sick: On top of the breakdown, we were 400 miles from home.
    Re: Wiring harness
    On my '98 manual, it states that it depends on whether your van came with the trailering package. You either have an eight-wire (with the package) or six-wire (without) harness. Its color codes are:
    Brown: Rear lamps
    Yellow: Left stoplamp and turn signal
    Dark green: Right stoplamp and turn signal
    White (heavy Gauge): Ground
    Light Green: Back-up lamps
    White (Light Gauge): Center High-Mounted Stoplamp
    Blue: Aux circuit (eight-wire harness only)
    Orange: Fused auxiliary (eight-wire harness only)

If you are wondering about a plug-in for a brake controller, you'll have to check with the dealer's service department. These things change from model year to model year. For example, my '98 came with the trailering package but there isn't a connector at the hitch. But my '02 Silverado with the package have the connector and a plug under the dash and necessary wiring for a brake controller hook-up. And the later models have the loose wire ripped-off.
  • topseatopsea Member Posts: 47
    I also have a 2001 Astro LT with AWD and a limited slip differential. If you have a limited slip differential you may want to read about my experience with a problem such as yours. It is message #682 posted on July 7 2004.

Good luck
    2001astrolt,
    That did it!
    Thanks alot,
    Glenn
    Good hint!!! But, alas, not the case... mine are all sized right, although the rear 2 are newer and have more tread depth. This could have been a factor tto, but I have tried rotating them around, with no change in the symptom.

How does the AWD work on these - is it not full time AWD? ... or am I missing something?

Thanks.
    99gmcsafarisle wrote:
    "When my Safari's AWD kicks in, the front wheels begin to grind."

I don't understand what do you meant by grinding. These AWD are full time all wheel drive. My understanding is they don't kick in & out. The only variable is the torque distribution between the two axles based on the slippage sensed.
  • topseatopsea Member Posts: 47
    As I understand the 2001 Astro AWD, it operates in 2 wheel drive(rear wheels) and there are speed sensors on each of the rear wheels that detect one wheel rotating faster(or slower) and in a "micro-second" it engages the front wheels.

I've been told the limited slip differential on the Astro is very particular about having the exact same wear on the rear tires. "My people" tell me the only vehicle more particular about wear on the tires are the Subarus.
    I have had my 99 Astro LS AWD for less then a week now, one thing that I noticed is that it seems very sensitive to wind (my only other minivan experience is driving my wife's Grand Caravan). The Astro seems more prone to "pull" to the direction that the wind is blowing and almost seem to "shimmy" a bit when the wind is very strong. Is this common due to the higher vehicle height and higher center of gravity?
    Thanks,
    Glenn
  • pjhernespjhernes Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Astro and am having troubles locating the trailer wiring harness. The van did not come with the towing package. However, the manual says that a six wire harness should be in the jack well behind the right rear wheel, but the only wires coming out of the plastic conduite tubing connect into a gizmo that runs the power lock on the dutch doors. Do I need to splice in my own harness?

Peter
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Please don't encourage other members to email you with the information. Otherwise, the folks reading here don't benefit from the answer. Sharing in the discussion is what makes this a rich resource for you and others.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• careybearcareybear Member Posts: 1
    What are the best kind of pads to get for a 1992 Safari? I'm pretty sure they have ceramic ones on it but I need the cheapest kind..is it okay to put semi-metallic ones on? I'm only planning on keeping the vehicle until February 2006 or so when I move to England so want the cheapest ones i can get by on.

Thanks for you help.

Carey
  • micri5446micri5446 Member Posts: 3
    hey all .i like the forum.just wanted to speak my 2 cents...i have a 1992 astro with 198,500 and i think it is the best truck i ever owned.oil is still clean,only 1 tranny,and 2 alternators..thats all folks.anyway, i drive this truck from ny to fla 3-5 times a year since 2001.i hate to say it but, i think i gotta go to a newer model.but, alas i have heard horror stories from a frien who has a 2001 like ac problems,starter problems,tranny problems all under 75000.i would like YOUR 2 cents on me purchasing a 2002 with 78,000 with a new rear end and new front a arms. replaced because of the meanest potholes in the world(NEW YORK CITY!!!)lool any way i can get this truck for a good price (under $4000).whadduya think folks...i'ma all ears!! :)
    My '98 came with the trailing package and it has a bundle of wiring coiled up near where the jack is. I believe if yours doesn't have the package, then you'll have to splice in the harness.
    Did you check the blue book for the market valve of this 2002? It just sounded too good to be true. Anyway, our experiences with these vans are not bad. We kept our '87 for 15 years and 250,000 km and it was still with the original drive train when we sold it in 2002. Items like alternator, starter and water pump are wear & tear items like brakes which needed replacing every so often. I don't consider them problem. And this "87 has been towing our heavy travel trailer to a lot difficult places. We now have a '98 AWD in our family. It haven't been used for towing but run a lot of short trips picking up kids or grocery etc. It has been relatively trouble free except the fuel pump has failed when it just barely out of warranty. Another thing I have to replace is the tie rods in the front suspension and I know the front heavy AWD did a number on it.
    If I were you, I will have my mechanic to have an inspection mainly on the engine & tranny. The worst that could happen is spending money on the major components that cost close to what you paid for the whole van.
  • lewkoillewkoil Member Posts: 1
    you have to drop the fuel tank to change the pump.my97 astro cargo cost a little over 400,but I got the pump at a discount and had my mechanic install it for me.keep your fuel level topped of since this helps the pump run cooler. usually I refuel at aroond 1/3 a tank.friends have paid 800-1k for this repair!
    Here's the thing - I have a 2001 LT AWD. I'm getting 23 to 24 on the highway, 16 to 17 city. I've had it a month, and verified it. I drive about 65 MPH, use overdrive when it makes sense.

:confuse:
  • astrothedogastrothedog Member Posts: 3
    I have a 92 Astro Ext AWD.

Problem: While driving or idling, the engines dies, like its out of gas. Wont start up right away.

Solutions So Far: Replaced Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Ignition COil, Alternator, Plugs, Wires, Cap Rotor, and cleaned out fuel lines.

I am at a loss. I don't know where to go next. Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone have suggestions as to where to go next?

Please Help???
    I believe if you hook-up to the computer, there will be a diagnostic code stored there. According to my mechanic, only problem doesn't show a code is the fuel pump. I can see that you have replaced a lot of parts. Did you do it yourself? Some garage can check the code for you for a small fee.
    Yes. I did the work myself. So I am sure of the work and the parts. The only codes that punch up are for a vaccum leak, which is from my charcoal canister. This I was assured can't be the problem.

But if it is, how would I go about fixing it? The small hose is broke off at the canister, no room for splice.
  • pmpatrickpmpatrick Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Astro Van with 15" aluminum rims. On a road trip to Michigan I blew a tire and busted the right front rim. Is there any where can find a replacement for this rim?
  • rlksrrlksr Member Posts: 1
    If it suddenly cuts off without missing out first, its a common symptom of ignition module failure. The module can be removed easily from the distributor and checked at your local Advance Automotive or Autozone. I have also had problems with my electronic egr valve getting carbon stuck in it. When that happens it always requires half throttle to start and chuggs at idle. It can be removed, cleaned and replace the gasket with a screen kit that will prevent more carbon from entering the pintel seat. Autozone carries the kit. Hope this helps
    OK Update...

I replaced the ICM.

Still has issue. I checked all avenues and I was told it could be my Catalytic Converter being clogged. Back up pressure and such. I tested that theory and no luck.

Finally I had a vision that it might be the MAP Sensor. Know anywhere to get one real cheap? Or work around it?

Let me know and thanks for all the help.
  • tmayabbtmayabb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 astro van and I am having the same problems. Except my right window will not go up and down at the switch on the passenger door, and occassionally I can get it to go with the switch on the drivers door but here lately I can't get it to do much of anything and my drivers side is starting to stick. What gives here? Any answers to if this is a relay, motor, switch problem?
    belive it or not,1 week after i make my 1st post here,my van is doin the same exact thing..chuggin then shuttin down.only difference is that if i get it onto the parkway to 60-65 she seems to drive ok .she still drives ok at town speed 40-45.but, if i shut her down for 30-40 mins..back to symptoms. changed plugs,cap,rotor,gas filter,had an avis car injector cleaner.tom i will spay down the throttle body to clean gunk.bear in mind my truck has 198000.lol. i'll see what happens and repost.if anyone has ideas,please post.
  • woody47woody47 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 and to replace the coil, I used a dremel tool to grind off the heads of the aluminum rivets that go through the bottom side. I used a thin punch to push them out. I would have been easier if I had rotate the rivets back and forth before punching them out, because they kind of buckled in the center and didn't want to come out the other side. Good luck. Woody
  • jpc47jpc47 Member Posts: 62
    Hi guys, have a 2001 Astro that has a weak climate control motor. It works, but just weak. Has anyone had such a problem? Thanks.
    turned out to be a fuel pump.insides came apart.new sock also.$450.could of been worse
  • pjhernespjhernes Member Posts: 2
    That's what I was afraid of. I think on the newer models, standard is a 6-wire harness and the towing package gets you 8-wires, but the standard 6-wire must have happened after '97. Thanks for your reply!
  • dsunstrumdsunstrum Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find the 6 wire trailer harness. It is suppose to be located by the passenger side rear wheel well. The dealer said it could be anywhere underneath,but I don't see any loose wires.
  • slowgoslowgo Member Posts: 2
    In my 98 it was located through the passenger side rear jack access panel
    taped up by the taillight and marked very well.
  • slowgoslowgo Member Posts: 2
    This may sound dum but check the rotating speed control switch to make sure it is not cracked and not actually rotating the speed control.