Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    Glad you are doing good and the A4 held up strong even when the guy behind you came flying into you at 40-50mph!! Yeah I-294 is notorious for blindingly wide turns and most people misjudge their distance until it's way too late. Man, even the IPass fell? Now that's some force.

Good luck in your repairs and let me know where the dealership recommended you to go get the repairs and if they are good in doing it.

Billy
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have one of those SmartTag things on the windshield, and they are a wench to get off when you need to clean the window, etc. I can't believe it flew off when you got hit. And you walked away? Very, very lucky.

I always try to take good care of my cars, because the car might end up giving its life for mine one day.
  • audibonaudibon Member Posts: 100
    Off topic somewhat but isn't it funny that we drive and are enthusiastic about our "German" cars. Yet 'quattro' is Spanish for four and "Avant" is French for front?!?!? See what happens when you have time to think at work about mindless trivia?
    Brian
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    for an 2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Auto (looks like also has leather and sport package) on sale for essentially invoice. It's even in my colour -- dolphin grey. Tempting. Too bad I wasn't planning on buying just yet. That and also the car will be basically 1 yr. old as soon as it leaves the showroom.
  • tennbergtennberg Member Posts: 45
    Hello everyone,

I am currently in the 31st month of a 39 month lease on a Volvo S80 2.9. Since I have basically decided that I am turning the car in at the end of the lease, I have started (rather early) doing some research on a new car. Since the S80 was leased under odd circumstances, I am looking at a car that better fits my age bracket (24) and one that is somewhat cheaper.
    After looking through tons of web pages and attending the New England Auto Show here in Boston, I have narrowed my car choices down to the following: Audi (1.8T and 3.0, possibly quattro), BMW (325i and 325xi), and Saab 9-3 (Linear and Arc). Before doing in for test drives, I would like to have my choices narrowed down to 1 from each group with specific options.
    I would like some suggestions on the following: Is the Audi A4 3.0 worth the extra cost over the 1.8T or is there really no noticeable difference? Is Quattro necessary/better for value on the Audis? How does Audi's quattro compare to BMW's AWD? With the Saab 9-3 being a total redesign and under GM's control, will it run into reliability problems? Since the A4 is also a new design, will it too run into reliability problems?
    Thanks for the help.

Michael
  • dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Member Posts: 188
    Audi A4 1.8T vs 3.0, that's a very personal choice, you will have to drive each one to decide for yourself. The 1.8T has more potential for modification, the 3.0 engine is very smooth, but obviously, heavier than the 1.8T.

In the northeast area, buying an Audi without Quattro is like ordering ham and egg without the ham. Plus, it will hurt your resale value down the road, if you care about that.

The Audi's quattro system is IMHO, more advance and better implimented than the one offered by BMW, especially in the 3 series.

The Saab do have some torque steer issue, but drive it yourself and decide, plus the interior fit and finish is no where near the Audi or BMW. If that's important to you.
  • tmcktmck Member Posts: 28
    I have an 02 1.8 quatro Tip and my wife has a 02 Passat 4 motion (AWD) with the 3.0.
    First of all the AWD makes handling better and in snow the AWD is terrific. It is definitely worth the money if you will encounter snow.
    The 3.0 is much smoother and probably accelerates better from 50-70 MPH which is the only acceleration that is meaningful to me. That is not to say that the 1.8 is slow or that you have time to drink a cup of coffee due to turbo lag. The 1.8 is a quick car, all that I will ever need, although HP, like money is nice to have around to show off.
    The big difference between the 1.8 and the 3.0 is gas mileage. The mileage in the 3.0 is terrible in town. I live in a small town where you cannot go 35 MPH for long distances. It is stop and go and the 3.0 will be lucky to get 14 MPG. The 1.8 is in the low 20s. On the road the 3.0 will go about 24 MPG and the 1.8 around 30 MPG at the legal speed plus 5 MPH. IMHO, there is a clear choice between the two. If you want the smoothness, go with the 3.0, but initial cost and operating costs will be larger. The incremental advantage in performance with the 3.0 isn't worth much to me as I never carry 4 people on trips where passing is important. It's kind of fun driving a 4 cylinder in an extremely good looking small car that is getting really good gas mileage. This little car is equipped with almost everything you could ask for and then you mash the accelerator pedal and the turbo kicks in and turns you into a pretty respectable high performance vehicle. As I tell my wife in her Passat 3.0, you can have it both ways.
  • mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    Anyone else a victim of the coil pack problem? If you read the boards at Audiworld, it sounds like an epidemic. My car (2002 1.8t) is in the shop until Hans and Frans can make enough new coil packs to replace all the ones that have failed. At least I got an A4 for a loaner.
  • nevcoolnevcool Member Posts: 22
    Assuming that your wife's Passat has the V6, how does it compare to your A4 with the 1.8?. Is there a significant difference in handling?
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,369
    I heartily agree w the proposition that an Audi sans Quattro would suffer poor resale in New England, notwithstanding the fact that in most areas fwd is adequate. I quick look at the want ads in the Globe will confirm for you that practically all the A4s in NE are quattros.

Quattro does do nice things for the handling on dry pavement as well as in yucky weather. Be sure you drive a quattro equipped car before you decide.

I've owned several Saabs, the most recent being a GM ('96 900S) and IMO GM has done nothing but good for Saab. I don't know if I agree withe the comment about Saab interiors being of poorer quality than Audi's or Beemer's. They are a bit plainer but materials are good and the seats (especially w Leather) are the best.

Back to A4s....I think I'm the A4 mileage champ in TH w 90k on a '98 Quattro Avant 2.8. AFAIC
    reliability has been excellent, on a par w Hondas I've owned--I had an '85 Prelude for 12 years.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    The Passat wagon sited above does not have the A4's 3.0. It has an older generation 2.8 V6. The A4's 3.0 is new for 2002 and is more powerful and smoother than the Passats 2.8.
  • tmcktmck Member Posts: 28
    The Passat V6 is the 2.8 at 190 HP and the Audi V6 is 220 HP. I have not driven the Audi V6 at all but I have driven the Audi 1.8 for 14K miles and the Passat V6 4- motion for 8K miles. The torque difference between the V6s is 206 ft lbs at 3200 for the Passat and 221 at 3200 for the Audi, a 7% difference. I do not know if the 7% difference translates into butt kicking but the figures given in Danial Heraud's review (MSN Autos) of the Passat, Audi 1.8 and 3.0 don't seem to support any big difference of the 3.0 over the 2.8.
    I can only relate what my considerable experience has been. Perhaps we have a reader who has a similar experience with the 3.0 V6 who can state that the 3.0 is indeed a screamer and gets good gas mileage in town and is cheaper to own and operate than the 1.8. Until then I will stand by what I posted earlier with the caveat that I was in error about the difference between the Passat and Audi V6s.
  • audibonaudibon Member Posts: 100
    In my opinion having been the owner of a 1.8T for over a year now I can say that we prefer that engine over the V6 although in 2001 they should have offered a six speed manual. In '01 the cost would have been 5-6k more than our car and we really didn't want the bigger engine just leather and power seats.... A friend of mine considering Audi drove the '02 V6 and 1.8T back to back and felt that the 1.8T was quicker. This makes sense since torque starts so low on that engine. The V6 seemed not slow but like it was being held back whether by design or electronically it was kinda strange. These impressions are important because they involve time and effort on the part of the buyer but it is your hard earned dollars going toward that next car so I think it is worthwhile. Our next purchase will probably be the bigger A6 still with manual but with the old S4 engine. My wife and I were not fans of the Passat with 4Motion, the Tiptronic sucked too much power away from the engine.
    I like the BMW line just a few points to remember on them is you will not have comparable trunk space as an A4, the price climbs quickly with options and the AWD system that BMW uses is no match for quattro. I have not driven or riden in a 3 series only looked at them on the lot. I have ridden in a 540I and felt rather cramped in comparison to an A4 and especially an A6. The 540 is a great car nonetheless but it behoves you to drive all of your candidates and then make an informed decision.
    I have no experience with Saab other than that they were offering deep discounts a few months ago to make room for the redesigned models for '03... Maybe others on this board can comment on Saab from firsthand experience. Good luck shopping and let us know your thoughts whatever you choose. Another perspective is always welcome.
    Brian
  • jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    Extrapolating rated torque figures between the VW 3.0 and the Audi 3.0 provides very little useful information for anyone considering a A4 with the 1.8T or the 3.0. The following comments are based on 4 test drives of the A4 with 1.8T/5M and owning a A4 3.0/6M for 4 months:

1. Low RPM Turbo lag- The 1.8T has it and the 3.0 doesn't. The 1.8T does get up and go after the turbo starts spinning. The 3.0 is get up and go from very low rpms.

2. At 80 mph, the 1.8T is at just about 4K rpm. While not obnoxious loud noise, you hear the engine working. The 3.0 is cruising very comfortable at 80 mph doing approx 3200rpm. Step on the gas in 6th gear at 80 mph and it will give you instant passing power.

3. Gas mileage- who cares.

J
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    For those that are considering selling their A4 quattro sedans do not trust Edmunds appraisal. They show very little increase (a couple of hundred dollars) for the quattro which as we all know is nonsense. KBB shows a more appropriate $1500+ differential.
    My 02 Jetta 1.8T just died on Saturday. Engine light flashing, no power when hitting the gas, jerking. I assume it's the coil pack. There was a bad batch made, I have heard this on VWVortex.com. I have to go to the dealer tomorrow to get my loaner and see what's wrong with the car.
    The 1.8T in the A4 can be chipped for about $500, and will pass the 3.0 like it's standing still. When chipping, you might consider buying an additional ECU (about $500) and chipping that one, lest the dealer finds out and will void your warranty. On the 02 A4, I found that the console intruded too much on leg room, so it was not comfortable for me.

I have never driven a 325, but my co-worker has a 2000 323 that's nice enough. I just don't expect manual seats or a slightly austere cabin in a car that costs $30,000+. It handles nicely though, and rides like a dream.

I don't know anything about Saabs, except that their parts are very expensive when they go and that the cars don't hold their value well at all. Another one of my co-workers has a 9-5 and hasn't had any trouble with it though.

Drive all 3, then decide which one you like the best.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    The 1.8T IMHO is a better value. The 3.0 is a "nicer" car.

The A4 1.8T with all the toys, stick shift, sport everything and about $500 in a chip will be a screamer compared to the 3.0 and will be an even bigger bargain.

The 3.0 on the other hand, has some luxury appointments and options that the 1.8T does not have.
  • jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    Regarding all of the suggestions to buy a 1.8T and chip it, how many of you have actually driven a chipped 1.8T? I have and it does improve the mid and upper RPM pull but still leaves you with low end lag that the 3.0 doesn't have. Also, to fully utilize the chip upgrade you need to redo the exhaust from the CAT back. There are several other mods necessary in order to really get the most benefit out of chipping. In the end, you are still left with turbo lag and a car that you are very nervous about bringing to the dealer because of warranty issues.
    I too have chipped a 1.8T -- and there are SOME issues -- but overall the results are, um -- fantastic. The lag issue is true, but it is very very minor.

Overall it is a cheap way to get grunt.
  • madamjeemadamjee Member Posts: 5
    There I was, taking my 2 mth old 03 A4 Quattro to Canada from Indiana for a roadtrip. I was at around the speed limit, looking forward to a nice trip with my friends, when suddenly, a dog ran out in front of my car on interstate 75N. Next thing I know, there is a massive collision, and the dog is run over. I pulled over on the shoulder and looked at my car - there was no underbody spoiler left, and the left foglight was gone. Somehow, my car managed the remaining 300 miles to canada without a glitch (AudiRoadside said everything was fine) plus there was a dealer a mile from my friends place.
    I got to waterloo, found my radiator had just started leaking, and had the car towed to the dealer. Found that the car had really been banged up quite badly - to the tune of 3,500 US. Well, thank God for insurance - Plus, my premium wont be going higher as an animal collision is not my fault - the proof? - dog hairs stuck in the front bumper:P
    Well, I suppose it's a great learning expirience - I should get my car back in 2 days, its at Crosby Audi/VW in Kitchner, ON.
    I guess ---- happens.
    All the best,
    Mishal
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A journalist with a major newspaper wants to talk with consumers who've bought entry-lux cars (e.g. BMW 3, Mercedes c-coupe, Jag X-type, Audi a4, etc) in the last year, ideally buyers who were new to the luxury brands, to talk about how they like their cars and why they bought them. Please respond asap by Wednesday, December 4 to jfallon@edmunds.com with the type of vehicle and approximate amount you paid for it. Thanks!
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    That IS a bummer especially since it's a new car. I assume the dog did not survive! (Must have been a pretty big dog)
    Wow.....good thing your radiator wasn't starting to leak on your way from IN to ON.....otherwise that won't be good with white smoke pouring out from the hood.

It must be a big dog.....yeah.....glad you are ok and poor doggie.

Billy
    The same thing happend to a friend of mine a couple of years ago. He hit a Great Dane while on the highway, travelling at about 70mph. It did about $1000 of damage to his car at the time, a 1986 Buick Skyhawk. Of course, the dog didn't make it. Poor pets... :(
  • fomentarfomentar Member Posts: 49
    I am considering an A4. Upon inquiry of the salesperson at Audi, I was informed that the rack system does not rest on the paint when installed. Can someone confirm this? I did see the mounting area inside the door frame, but I would like to get independent views. Thanks. BTW, new to this board...good reading and information.
  • dfritz27dfritz27 Member Posts: 4
    I was hoping someone could help me out here after a futile attempt at reaching a deal on an A4. Here is what I was looking at:

2003 a4 quattro 5M (dest incl) 24961 27360
    premium package 1424 1600
    sport package 890 1000
    dolphin gray pearl 401 450

totals 27676 30410

The dealer says he will do 5% over invoice, but he claims that I have to add another $401 for metallic paint onto the invoice price listed above. But we agree what the msrp is on the car. I asked him if we have to add something into the invoice price shouldn't are msrps disagree. Didn't get a satisfactory explanation to that, he insists the correct invoice is $401 + $27676. Isn't he just trying to gouge me out of another $401? My figures come out the same on kbb.com and edmunds.com
    There's an extra charge for metallic paint if I remember correctly. But for how much, I don't remember.
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Dave-- While you have listed the correct price for the metallic paint option, --$401 @ invoice and $450 @ MSRP-- the salesman, from what I can gather from your post, is trying to tack it on AGAIN. When you listed "dolphin gray pearl 401 450," that IS the charge for the metallic paint. It's ridiculous to add it on again.

Rich-- Welcome. Personally, I've only seen one application for the rack system on the sedan. From what I can recall, it doesn't "touch" the paint but I have no personal experience with it. Here's a bit of information from "The Audi Collection:" click here

--'rocco

• massappeal106massappeal106 Member Posts: 26
    Now that I've just spent the last 3 hours pouring over the messages, I have a question or three:

I"m looking to acquire a a4 1.8t with quatro. While i'm leaning toward a 03, i'm concerned with the depreciation when I drive the car off the lot. Is purchasing an used Audi a bad idea? Is Audi a car that should always be leased due to it's reliability? I guess the base question is: are Audis reliable cars?

Lastly, can anyone give me the lowdown on the different purchase programs. IE. premier purchase, lease, etc.

Thanks for all your help!
    With almost 90k on mine I can tell you that A4s are very reliable. I've had only minor repairs the biggest being a new radiator fan (about $375) and recently a wheel bearing ($540 mostly labor). Lease if it suits your situation but not because you're afraid the car will fall apart.

I'll probably go for another CPO. I recommend the same to you if you want to avoid the big depreciation hit.

Be aware that 02 1.8Ts have had a batch of faulty coil packs that have left owners stranded. Audi
    warranties cover this problem and they've acknowledged it and are apparently going to a new supplier. Be sure to ask your dealer about it.

Just remember to buy extended warranty if avaliable, this should let you sleep better at night. 8)
  • massappeal106massappeal106 Member Posts: 26
    Andys:

What is "CPO"?
  • nonjth13nonjth13 Member Posts: 91
    dfritz27 go to www.audiusa.com for list prices. the car you configured stickers for 30410. So, yes the dealer is either not bright or trying to hose you
    Audi calls their program "Audi-Assured" these cars come with factory warranties and new-car finance rates. You'll save $5k or more. I've done it twice and likely will do it again.

• 02a4curt02a4curt Member Posts: 35
    How much more do you pay for an extended warranty when a car is fairly new vs purchasing one that is close to having the manufactures warranty running out.?
  • peterpan223peterpan223 Member Posts: 22
    I'm looking to buy 2003 Audi 3.0. To my understanding, the 2003 3.0 comes with leather seats, but there is a separate option for the "premium" leather seating. Because I did not have the chance to compare the two, I'm not so sure what the difference is, or if there is much difference at all. And if it's worth the money.
    And as part of their option, they have the Navigation system, but how and where do they display the map? is it as nice and fancy as it is on other cars, ie Lexus, or do they just display a very tiny map in the retangle box in between the speedometer and tach?

Are they worth the price? Can anyone tell me their opinions? perhaps someone who has them or at least seen them?

Thanks in advace~!
    James-- The standard leather seats in the 3.0 are leather seating "surfaces" only. The backsides and the sides of the seats are vinyl. The premium "Genuine Buffalino" leather option is "full-leather" and also includes leather door inserts ...a very classy look overall. At $890 @ invoice, yes, I think it's worth it. If you're going to spend the money on the 3.0, you might as well go "all the way" if you can afford it.

The nav in the 3.0 is the "nav lite." You're right, its display is in the little rectangular area between the tach and the speedometer which also serves as the Driver Information Display which includes a condensed radio display, active Auto Check system with speed warning device, pictogram display for open door/trunk lid and 6-function trip computer including outside temperature gauge. So the nav isn't one of the full-featured ones with the detailed display. If you have read the posts at AudiWorld, you'll see that some people really like "nav lite" --including Mark, our resident Audi expert here on these boards-- and some don't think it's worth the "trouble." To me, I tend to think that it isn't worth the price they're charging and probably wouldn't order it myself unless Audi finally decides to put a full nav system in which I'm hearing is in the works for the A4. I believe the 3.0 Cabriolet already does have "full" GPS nav as an option ...or does it?, I don't know for sure.

--'rocco
    From what I read so far, the extended warranty is cheaper when your car is newer and has less miles on it. In another word, the earlier you buy, the cheaper it is.
    Drove my new 03 Audi allroad from Cincinnati to a "suburb" of Pittsburgh (30 miles out). Went into Pittsburgh shopping on Friday and to the Heinz Museum on Saturday. Had no idea where anything was. Called the museum on Saturday, asked for address -- 1212 Smallman street, Pittsburgh. OK. Key in Pittsburgh, Smallman and 1212 (a range is provided for even and odd numbers). Punch start button -- "the route is being calculated" -- within 150 feet of the front door of the museum, I was taken.

Bad traffic in Pittsburgh -- punch in my return destination, and tell the computer there is traffic and please come up with an alternate -- +3 miles and ta da -- home (to my in laws).

I would prefer the full sat nav plus system. I would pay for it. The sat nav lite is "worth" the MSRP minus the normal discount off of list, IMHO. Mine is "coupled" with Audi telematics, a built in phone and Sat Nav lite. I love it. My On*star had a bug in it, now 100% fixed.

Very impressed -- again, just wish it had full sat nav plus and a DVD map (you get 11 CD's with it). I did not have to change any CD to go from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh to Columbus OH to Dayton Oh and back to Cincinnati.

The weekend was made "stress free" and I would argue safer thanks to Audi Nav lite. I never did like to stop and ask directions -- and read a map? Fugetaboutit!

Don't leave home without it.
    is still "owning" the new A4 Cab. I think yeah, the new Nav with the full graphics is in the pipeline though. And I agree with Rocco that I wouldn't spend the $$ on it unless it's the full graphics version.

Billy
  • dfritz27dfritz27 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your thoughts on the issue. In this case I believe it is not an honest mistake, because even after questioning the general manager about the invoice price he insisted I had to add for metallic paint. It was a very frustrating experience. I was told there was a non-negotiable $498 processing fee as well. At that point I just left. Very disappointed because they actually had the exact car I wanted, with the low apr rates Audi is running.
    My friend has a 2001 BMW with the SatNav Plus (or so it looks). The directions given audibly by the Nav Lady are the same (as in my 03 Audi allroad), when arrows and instructions are output to the screen the arrows (even for a U turn) are the same. The moving map on the Bimmer is really cool, but the functions -- which I do want along with the cool moving map -- provided are identical (in terms of getting from point a to point b).

NavPlus will probably be priced between $2495 and $2995 -- my Nav lite was about $1300, with all the maps (my friend's BMW only had one map).

On the Mercedes, even the Nav Lady is the same -- and we all know how things are priced on a Merc.

So, even though I do want the Nav Plus, I think its value -- excluding its sizzle value -- is actually less.

Driving in snow, in heavy traffic in an unfamiliar urban situation, with four other people in the car (which I did this past weekend in Pittsburgh), I consider even the sat nav lite to be a very worthwhile safety feature AND a convenience feature.

Don't sell it short, because it "ain't Victoria's Secret" sexy (which it isn't).

Hopefully we (in the US) will get the Nav Plus and the map will be a DVD and the price will be "realistic: @ $1995" perhaps (or less). But in the mean time, this is a very nice feature that is very very cool in functionality and utility and value, but not too cool in implementation (it looks clunky when compared to NavPlus). But it does the job very well.
    pulling over and looking at a road map looks mighty good to me.

Cheapskate. :) Just kidding...
  • peterpan223peterpan223 Member Posts: 22
    thanks alot for the info!
    I think half of the reason of getting the nav system is that it looks cool with the diplayed map, haha. But if it does serve the job well, and is cheaper, then I guess it's not too bad.
    Billy-- You're right, I was mistaken. I was trying to remember where I saw a pic of the full nav display in the console and it was a pic of the new S4. So I guess the S4 will be getting the full nav.

Here's a pic of one in a S4 Avant: http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/new_s4/2003s4005.jpg

--'rocco

• fthimalayafthimalaya Member Posts: 5
    Yesterday my 2001 S4 was stolen in lovely Jersey City. Fortunately the police located the vehicle and there wasn't too much damage. I was wondering if someone could recommend an Audi dealership with a body shop that is close to Liberty State Park in Jersey City. This is a complete pain in the [non-permissible content removed] since I live in Baltimore and the car is up in Jersey. I know that there are several dealerships close by but I was wondering if some were better than others. So any dealer recommendations or other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    That could be the German/European version tho.....the current B6 A4's in Europe offers a full Navigation Plus with the 5" screen like the one in the pic you showed.

How come the Europeans get to have so much more options.....if you guys are interested, go to the Audi site at UK and try to configure one.....you can even order a debadged Audi.

http://www.audi.co.uk/newcars/model.jsp?section=/models/a4/saloon

Billy

Sorry to hear that.....wow, another S4 stolen in Jersey? I'm not driving a nice car over there.....

Good luck finding a bodyshop in Jersey.

Billy