Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    I have a 2001 A4 with the cloth sport seats, and the fabric is wearing just fine. I prefer cloth to the vinyl (ok leatherette) seats and couldn't pony up for the leather. I had to look far and wide to find one with cloth seats, as most dealerships, including my old home town dealer, seemed unwilling to change their idea about what my car should have in it.

I also have a window noise from the driver and front pax window just at ear level that occurs at LOW speed. It sounds like the window is rattling in the door frame and drives me crazy. I have had the car in at least 3 times for it, taken the service managers for drives, and although they admit to hearing it they say there is nothing that they can do except lube the door seals. That usually stops the rattle for a little while but it always comes back. VERY frustrating. I was also told that adjusting the door was a no no. I've got to believe that they can adjust the window in the tacks or something to tighten up the window but I just get blank stares. I'm actually ready to sell the car because the noise is bothering me so much. A couple other issues that they can't seem to fix: the airbag light stays on and flashes for about 2-3 minutes after I start the car and the rear brakes groan when you turn while backing up even though I'm not on the brakes. Again, both items I've been told to live with. Very disappointing for a quasi luxury car. Anyone else had any luck with these type of problems. Thanks.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Do you have any other dealers in your area? Doesn't sound like your current dealer's service department is too competent. I have never had an issue that my dealer didn't take care of on the first try.
  • tcasboytcasboy Member Posts: 214
    Well actually, no there is only one Audi dealer within 200 miles of me. But I recently moved and the dealer in my last town couldn't fix the window or the groaning problems either. They adjusted the rear brakes but that didn't help. I may try one more time with the dealer here but I can't see putting up with these problems long term.
  • ktlimqktlimq Member Posts: 1
    R T 2003 says Audi A4 is not agile (It has a lot of lateral movement!! It is floaty and loose!!), while some European reviews said it is agile.

R T 2003 compared 11 sport sedans.

Below is what they wrote about Audi A4 3.0 Quattro with sport package(sport suspension and 135/45R 17 tires).

It handles well enough and has a superb highway ride, but accomplishes these goals in a rather soft and rubbery style of suspension tuning and steering. One staffer noted, "The Audi allows a lot of lateral movement followed by tenacious grip--even on bad surfaces. Once I get used to the lateral softness, I like its payoff in ride comfort."

In short, the Audi is missing that firm, rallly-car edge and sense of fully connected steering precision that makes the BMW, for instance, so delightful to drive. It's a car that can keep up with other sports sedans, but doesnt' feel very sporty doing it, despite our car's having the optional sport suspension for $750, a package that includes hihg-performance tires and 17-in. cast alloy wheels, as well as the usual spring/shock valving changes.

We noticed in some of the whoop-de-dos and curves of our desert highway that the Audi produced "considerable excitement," as one driver put it, and was simply more floaty and loose than the others. And again, "this is where you pay for that great highway ride," one driver noted. .
  • bmwdriver02bmwdriver02 Member Posts: 46
    Hello. I am considering purchasing a 03 A4 3.0 for my wife. We live in NYC, and am not sure if she would need the Quattro. She has a 99 Accord now and is doing fine with the FWD system. Is it really worth it for her 25 mile commute to work?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Audi's AWD system is not just a foul weather friend. It is totally active and helps in every day driving. My Mom has an '02 A6 which has phenomenal traction in the snow, rain, sleet, and even dry pavement.

As far as Quattro or No Quattro here in our area, consider resale value. A Quattro equipped car will be much easier to get rid of down the road (especially since many in the tri-state area are obsessed with AWD as a must have) if you plan to buy.

If you plan to lease, the Quattro equipped car will have a higher sticker price, but also a higher residual value compared to the FWD A4. The AWD A4 will be cheaper to lease.

Availability. I'd be willing to bet that very few dealers in our area have a FWD A4 in stock.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    A4 1.8T Multitronic
    Ming Blue/Beige Interior
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Xenons

I wasn't planning to pull the trigger, but they had exactly the car I wanted. Now the wife wants to borrow it. Here's a pic:

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    purrrrty!!
  • lponz7lponz7 Member Posts: 25
    Ok, even though I live in a climate with no snow or ice (but lots of rain), you guys have got me convinced that the Quattro is worth the extra money even on a lease. I do, however, still have two questions:

1) How much of an acceleration hit do you take with the Quattro assuming 1.8T (5-speed), and

2) Does it make sense if you're also ordering the sport package with the high performance summer tires?

Thanks.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    I think Quattro is great but it does eat soft, hi adhesion performance tires. I got about 25k out of a set of Goodyear F1s.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    One tenth of a second.

1.8T 5spd front trac: 7.8

1.8T 5spd quattro: 7.9

Go with the sport suspension, if you don't have snow, you can use the tires year round.

The high perf tires, no matter what they're on, have shorter tread life than, say, all-season tire.

You get in one area -- performance, you give in another -- wear.

Fair trade, I'd say.
  • lponz7lponz7 Member Posts: 25
    Get in one area, give in another--story of my life!

At my dealership, the cars with the sport suspension are equipped with Continental tires (not sure what model)--any thoughts?
  • gearhead10gearhead10 Member Posts: 84
    Great choice! Or maybe I should say, similar to the one I made, anyway. Nice color too. I was deciding between the same two cars you were and I chose the A4 1.8TQ with MT, SP, PP, Bose and xenons in Amulet two weeks ago. Got a good deal on a car on the lot also. Love the car and can't go a day without driving it! My wife doesn't feel the same way about it though, that's okay, she can drive her AT Lexus and we'll both be happy =D Enjoy!
    The Continentals are ContiSport2's. A4's with SP usually come with those or Dunlop Sport 9090's, which my car came with. Grip on dry pavement is very high--haven't tested them in wet yet. Don't know if there's much of a difference between the two tires, Tirerack rates 'em both pretty high.
  • dpvwia2dpvwia2 Member Posts: 11
    Don't forget that the sport package (17" rims, low profile tires and suspension mods) is going to ride considerably more rough.

I have a 3.0 Quattro A4 w/o sport - and I love the way it rides *and* handles.
  • bmwdriver02bmwdriver02 Member Posts: 46
    Looks like she'll heading with the Quattro version of the 3.0. Any dealers you can recommend within the area?
    Well, I see you're in queens. That's a tough one. I'm not too familiar with the dealers in Queens & Long Island (presumably the closest to you). I'd stay away from Zumbach in Manhattan because they're probably the most expensive. You'll probably get the best price from New Country Audi in Greenwich, CT. They're the largest volume Audi Dealership in the world (I believe). Sorry I can't be of more help.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

My friend has an '02 A4 3.0Q 6Speed and his car shakes while idling as the check engine light flashes. He steps on the gas and there is very little response from the throttle. He puts it to the floor and the car seems like it is bogging. The whole car shakes and the exhaust sounds like a lawn mower. Anybody else experience this problem? He's going to take it to the dealer on Monday. Thanks for your help. He's already had the ignition coil replaced.

• dgkgraphicsdgkgraphics Member Posts: 10
    nyccarguy-- Sounds to me like you have a bad vacuum line somewhere. My A4 did the exact same thing; shuddered in idle, lurched between gears, elicted poor response from the gas pedal... nearly identical symptoms.

I was told that all the shaking, wobbling and crappy throttle response was a result of a leak in my vacuum lines, which in turn was causing the engine's pistons to misfire. From how I understood it, my engine was basically suffocating-- since it wasn't aspirating normally, the pistons weren't firing in sequence, and thus, all the noises, shaking and lousy performance... That's the story I got from the service guy, anyway, and I have no reason to doubt it. The good news is, in my case it only took them a day to fix the lines, and it was fully covered by the warranty. The dealer gave me a loaner, diagnosed the problem quickly, fixed it quickly, and returned the car to me squeaky-clean and running like a top. All things considered, I was totally happy with how they handled it, and I was very reassured with my Audi purchase... Haven't had a problem with it since, and I LOVE driving it. In fact, a little too much-- just got a speeding ticket last week. =)

Anyhow, I wish your friend luck with his car, and I hope he has a similar experience to mine, regarding the ease of the repair and things of that nature. Let him know that if his A4 does indeed wind up up having the same problem mine did, it should be no big deal to fix it up right, and he won't have to pay a penny. Woo-Hoo!

Nice of you to inquire about this for your buddy, by the way. Your pal's lucky to have someone looking out for him like that.
    Good luck to both of ya'. =)
  • dtwleungnycdtwleungnyc Member Posts: 188
    I bought my car at Biener Audi. The price was right, not the lowest but fair, but the main thing is this. Since I bought the car from them last year, their service level had picked up a few notches. When I first bought the car, I only rated their service level at OK. My last visit, I rated them an excellent. And they earned it.
  • cyberpmgcyberpmg Member Posts: 83
    ncycarguy: The symptoms your friend is encountering sounds like a blown ignition coil. If the check engine light is flashing, do not attempt to drive it as you could cause damage to other systems. You need to call Audi Roadside Assistance and have it put on a flatbed to be towed to their dealer ASAP.

I've encountered the same thing (rough idle, flashing CEL, no power, etc.). This is a known defect that has been the subject of many heated and lengthy conversations. The coils have a design flaw and is affecting many Audis and VW cars. No "official" recall has been made, but they will replace the blown coil (and all the others if this is the second coil blown).
    cyberpmg-- I think he mentions that his friend had already replaced the ignition coils... that was my first hunch, too.
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    Hi Fellas,

I bought my Audi 3.0 CVT black/black, w/ sports package, xenon and sunroof in October of 2002. Unfortunately, I can no longer afford this car. It has about 8500 miles on it. Anyhow, a friend of mine is in a business where they raffle stuff and suggested that I raffle it off, which I'm thinking of doing. The cost will be between $50-$100 per ticket with a total of 500-1000 tickets.

I haven't made a final decision yet, but seriously thinking about it. I love this car, but Bush is killing the economy.

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks for everybody's prompt response. It turns out the problem was the ignition coils...AGAIN. It seems the first time around this happened that they only replaced ONE coil. This time they replaced the rest of the ignition coils.

My buddy didn't call roadside assistance, he just drove the car back to Connecticut from NYC and had it serviced today. He says the car drives great again.

His car is leased so he's mot concerned with long term reliability.

I wouldn't agree to a raffle unless it was GUARANTEED that it would be sold for more than it's worth - especially if I couldn't afford to drive an expensive European car that I just bought new 6 months ago and was trying to blame someone else for my predicament.
    I can't blame Bush for the economy. If anyone is to blame it is "irrational exuberance," lack of "good" corporate governance, a dash of Dr.'s Greenspan's special ingredient and a sense that "you can get away with anything," from Bush's predecessor. If anything, Bush and Greenspan (combined) have done a mighty job of preventing it from being worse than it surely would have been -- and my company is in Tech in Ohio -- WE ARE IN DEPRESSION. Let's not pick on the President -- President's (with the possible exception of F.D. Roosevelt) have little effect on the economy -- and as much as FDR is praised for his role in helping to end the Great Depression, much of what he did was found to be unconstitutional). The economy, generally speaking, is a self-inflicted wound. The Fed has more impact, IMHO, than virtually any politician.

Now, back to Audis!
  • 85898589 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone driven an A4 1.8 with and without the sports suspension? I understand the "feel" is better with the sport suspension but tires also cost more. Is it worth it? My local dealer gets most cars with the sports so I don't know if any are available to test drive without it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    and what have you in a similar vein.

Let's don't go there.

We are talking about vehicles, not our theories of the causes of political and economic factors contributing to the state of our economy.

That's dangerous territory and very much off-topic.

:)
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    I've always driven the A4 1.8T with the sport package. Anyway, the car looks a LOT better lowered and with the 17" inch wheels. Audi wheel wells are big so the car looks odd with the smaller wheels. If you don't want to spring for the sport package I would at least get the 17" wheels with the all season tires. My Audi dealer told me that most are coming with sport package anyway.
    It's been a few months since I drove an A4 frontrack w/o SP but if I remember it rode softer and with more body roll in corners. I like the better handling and 'road feel' of the SP and think the steering feel is better also. If you can afford it and don't mind the firmer ride I would highly recommend the SP. I looks a lot better also and even if you only get the 17" wheels as speedracer recommends, the car does look better with the lower suspension.

Someone else also had a concern about tire replacement cost last week. Lower profile tires will cost more to replace and won't last as long but there are a lot of excellent choices in the 235/45/17 size and one doesn't have to get exactly the same brand of tire to get the same (or even better) performance when replacing. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't make a decision based on tire replacement cost--it will be only marginally more.
    I actually got an opportunity to drive an A4 without the sports package for a few days a couple weeks ago, and as loathe as I am to admit it, it does have a much gentler ride than my Audi, which does have SP, especially on the highway. However, I have to concur with my boys Gearhead and Speedracer that although the ride is noticeably more smooth on the straight-aways, it does teeter dangerously close towards the soft end of the spectrum in the deep turns, as well as being *substantially* more floaty over the bumps. Being the unscrupulous [non-permissible content removed] that I am, I was all excited to get out there in a loaner vehicle and abuse itlike a rented mule, but much to my dismay, I found that the loaner A4 without SP wasn't nearly as responsive as my own. The amount of understeer in the non-SP model was significantly more pronounced, and I felt like I was having to browbeat and cajole the car around the corners, as opposed to simply pointing and shooting. As they stated earlier, body-roll is quite a bit more severe in the non-SP. Trying to maintain exit speed out of a tigh turn became something almost scary, as opposed to fun and confidence-inspiring.

Overall, after having driven them back to back, I would say the SP is worth every penny. Sure, you may bounce around a little more from the potholes, but I think the added grip and increased handling capabilities of SP in the turns-- or emergency situations --far exceeds any loss of ride comfort. I dunno... I suppose I'd rather feel "connected" to the road, rather than "cushioned" from it. I've always been somewhat turned off by overly luxurious cars with big, fat, pillowy suspensions... it makes me feel like I'm taking my living room couch out for a spin or something... which is sadly kind of what I felt like in that loaner A4.

To me the point of getting an Audi or a BMW instead of something like a Lincoln Towncar is the performance edge they offer, and the non-SP A4's just don't seem to have that same bite, y'know?

I'd just rather have my car encourage me to drive it faster, rather than lull me into some hypnotic state of relaxation like a Calgone commercial or something.

So there's my $.02... snooty and ill-adivised as it may be for those wishing to avoid speeding tickets. =)

And lastly... I gotta say, as superficial as it is, there's something to be said for having a big, mean set of wheels on a sleek little car.
    I have to agree with those guys again-- the 17" rims seem to fit the car better. They do give it a bit more aggressive esthetic, if that's your thing. The SP shoes are large enough to give the car a litle bit of menace, but they don't reduce your brilliantly minimalist German car into some pimped-out Civic, either. No one's going to wonder where your giant Neuspeed sticker and three foot whale-tale spoiler are. Thank Gawd. =)

So anyway... I like the SP.
    Can ya tell? =)

Either way, you'll get an AMAZING car....
    one's just a little more fiesty than the other.
    Just get something with rings on the grill, and you'll be a happy camper. =)
  • 85898589 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the input---you have me convinced!
    Dgkgraphics, great post, couldn't have said it better myself! The 5-spoke 17" wheels are easy to keep clean, I might add. And you get 30mm wider higher performance tires with much better grip wrapped around them!
  • thomaspeterdubthomaspeterdub Member Posts: 20
    I am considering an A4 3.0, but I heard rumors about general reliability issues as well as rattles and squeaks developing over time. This would be my first Audi purchase so I have no experience with the marque. Would apprciate some candid feedback on these points. Thanks.
    We have a '98 A4 with 58,000 miles. As far as body integrity goes the only repair has been the side body moldings. Both sides have had to be replaced as the fastener pins tend to deteriorate over time. Cost was about $80 each side. Otherwise, everything's been rock solid with no rattles or squeaks. The new ones may be different - I would hope they improved the side molding issue anyway.
  • thomaspeterdubthomaspeterdub Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I have a 98 A4 with sport suspension, the rattles and noises it makes are going to be the reason I end up selling it. Over my bumpy street it sounds like a piece of junk. I think that the newer chassis should be better because it is structurally more solid.
  • svpatelsvpatel Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I'd like some advice. I have a '99 A4 1.8T quattro, 51K miles. It's had a bad AC fan and I've had to have the rear brakes replaced twice and the front once. The dealer is telling me that german cars are making harder (metallic) brakes and softer roters so the brakes go bad faster but they brake better. This pretty much sounds like a crock to me, but I would like your opinion. I have also always had other small nagging problems, so I have just about had it with the car. There are certain things that i love about the car which is why I've kept it so long (awd, nice finish, fold down seats, etc.)...

I'm considering trading it in for an Acura TSX

Thanks for the adivce.
    Sanjay
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I don't think that it is crock. The rotors on my last Mercedes were also sacrificial. I have gotten very good wear from my A4's brakes. I am easy on them however.
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    It's not just the German cars that have soft brakes. Read just about any forum here and you'll notice that nobodies brakes last as long as they used to.

As I've said over on the Focus forum, if you are disappointed with brake wear, don't keep buying the OEM brake pads and rotors from the dealer. Higher quality aftermarket brake equipment that is made specifically for your vehicle can be had for the same price or maybe just a little more.
    The stock brakes on an A4 are a trade off. This is not to say that they are bad. But long life is not the trade off they chose. As noted the stopping ability is good to very good, the lifespan is fair and the repeat stopping ability is fair. If you are enjoying the Audi advantage, they will pay and pay and pay for new rotors and new pads. Seems to me that a simple solution to the warranty issues (for Audi) would be to upgrade the brakes. We know they can do it cause the S8, S6 (presumably the new S4) and the RS6 all have much better brakes and they presumably last longer too. Yet even the mighty S8 brakes have some trade off -- but they are better in stopping, repeat stopping and rotor life span than standard.

Since I have no clue as to the costs of these kind of things when purchased in quantities, I can only assume that it is less money to replace and replace and replace rotors under warranty than it is to upgrade the rotors and pads and call it "standard equipment."

My internal reasoning -- no proof -- suspects that it IS more expensive to replace and replace and replace than it is to put a higher quality and more durable rotor and pad on in the first place.

But evened out over thousands of users perhaps I am wrong -- certainly Audi has the data from which to come to this conclusion. I mean why would you pay to replace over and over, under warranty, when you could improve the brake and the lifespan for, Oh Say a couple of bucks per wheel?

Maybe the replacements are truly in the minority -- not so according to my dealer service folks, though.

Brembo forever, stock rotors never!
  • pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    I'm a reporter with a major national daily and I write a weekly auto piece. In the feature, I discuss how the car is doing on the market and why the drivers love their car. If you are an audi a4 driver and would like to be mentioned in the paper as such, can you please email me at LANETEF@YAHOO.COM by Monday June 2 at noon?
    Thanks
  • svpatelsvpatel Member Posts: 4
    My a4 is no longer under warranty. I tried to get another shop (other than the dealer) but they couldn't clear the "yellow brake light" code....
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    it's probably an ABS malfunction. Try to find a good independent VW/Audi or Bosch specialist if you's rather not go to a dealer.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Why not go to the dealer -- unless they are incompetent, it seems to be a good insurance policy -- at least in my experience.
  • affyaffy Member Posts: 19
    Someone had asked this questions before in other forum, and I got the same problem right now. The problem occurs while turning left or right in low speed, the steering will squeak like two plastics parts going against each others.

I brought the car in the dealer for a check up, and they didn't correct the problem at all. I am planning to bring it to the dealer again, is esp. annoying during quiet morning commute!!! Need Help correcting the problem...

I am driving a 03 A4 will 6300 kms on it, the steering is the 4 spoke version with multifunction controls.
    My 2001 A6 had this problem and it took a new steering rack and a new power assisted column, but not a new wheel.

The dealer told me that in some of the cars it was an "airbag" problem. What?

Anyway, it was really really really expensive (around $2K -- I saw the internal invoice) and the Audi advantage, of course picked up the entire charge, car was out of serive one day for diagnosis and one day for replacement. Never came back (happend pretty early on).
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    Hey guys, just a little off topic here, but we're still talking Audi's here. I went to the Quattro Challenge hosted by Audi this past Saturday. Same format as 2 yrs ago and you can read a lot more about it at www.audiusa.com/quattrochallenge. Tons of fun. I urge you to call up AoA at 1-800-FOR-AUDI and see if they have one close to where you live. Apparently they didn't advertise this year's event on their website and just go by invitations. I got in about 2 wks before the event because of cancellations.

This year though, they had the brand new 2004 A8L with the revised 4.2L V8 available for us to test drive. FOr the lucky ones with great patience, they actually got to drive it in the high speed lapping exercise. (I was the majority "unlucky" ones so gotta test the Allroad and the A4 1.8T on the 1-mi loop at Chicago Motor Speedway.) For the rest of us, they set up a little road course with an A8L for us to test drive.

My first impression was, wow, this thing is great looking. It looks MUCH better than the MB S class and MUCH MUCH MUCH better looking than the BMW 7 series. THey had 3 cars there which had the 18", 19" and 20" rims on. Gotta go with the 20" rims. Interior is classy and loaded with features. I tried the MMI and it's much easier to use than the BMW i-drive. The suspension can also be rasied and lowered for different driving situations and the suspension hardness can also be stiffened for dynamic driving and softened for comfort. Other creature features like the ventilated seats also worked great.

Although it's big on the outside and spacious inside, the driving dynamics will make you think you are driving something in between an A4 and and A6, that is until you look outside the mirrors and realize how close you get to the cones because of the actual size of the A8L. It also feels nimble and the brakes stop the car this size in a very short distance. The one for this exercise has the 18" rims on, and although I would LOVE to test the one with the 20" rims on, this one handled great right off the box.

This car is definitely poised to take away market share from MB and BMW. No doubt.

They also brought along the 04 S4 and S4 Avant, and of course the RS6. Just take my breath away after seeing the RS6. Too bad we don't get to drive these three cars. Oh, and they confirmed that the America bound 04 S4's will have the lower side skirt color keyed, instead of just black plastic. Yay!

No new A4 news there though. (Just to make this posting A4 related, LOL.)

Billy
  • davkingdavking Member Posts: 51
    Just got off the phone with an Audi customer advocate regarding recall to replace coil packs. She said there is no policy calling for such a recall!
  • tiredofmanualtiredofmanual Member Posts: 338
    I didn't make it out to the Quattro challenge, but I did see that RS6 driving around the burbs over the past week.

I talked to one of the guys that was lucky enough to drive the A8. He said they had the speed governors removed and that he hit 172 mph on the Speedway. I don't know if he was exaggerating or not.