Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    Some have said new tires will get rid of the pull problem. Since you have it, it is more than likly bent suspension parts, and cannot be fixed. Do you have the Michelins???

Olds Alero to the Solara! LOL! Your just asking to be disappointed. Not alot of problems. Pulling drifting, at all speeds, Canc's chugging down the road, almost all having paint problems, and the dreaded SLUDGE prone engine!!! If you have seen the Money Pit, with Tom Hnaks, where he buys a nice suburban house, only to have it start falling apart under his feet, then this will give you an idea what being a Solara owner has been like! Buyer beware!
  • robertorrobertor Member Posts: 6
    Olds Alero: how is the front suspension?....any pull?.
    I understand the front suspension is pretty good in that car
  • bezaharbezahar Member Posts: 20
    Of course to counter webguyster negative comments. Make sure that the car's had regular maintenance (takes care of sludge.) If it has paint chips (you'll probably get them anyway) use that to have them take the price down some. And when you test drive it make sure that the car doesn't pull. Follow those 3 steps and you'll more then likely get a very good car.
    bezaher...What you may see as negative, can also be called wisdom, from experience.

It is like a parent telling a teenager something to prevent them from making a mistake, that they will regret, and they don't listen. They eventually learn by making mistakes. Buy the car, and check back in a few months. (If you really like it now, pay cash!)

If a buyer is lucky, he/she may get the maintenance records from a private party, but no dealer is going to give them to you. My car has minimal problems now, or I have just got used to the idea that my 2.5 year old car is a beater, after almost everything has been replaced, but if I showed the maintenance records to anyone, 1-2 trips to the dealer monthly for 2 years, could be taken as a bad sign.

If you buy it, and regret it, please post on Edmunds. And remember, webguyster says..."I told you so!!!"

Good Luck!!!

;)
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Out to get that dirty, rotten Toyota Motor Corp for selling HIM the lemon of a Solara. We all know that web got a lemon; it happens some times and to all car co's. The fact remains there are many more very satisfied Solara owners than there are guys like web. Check the CR reliability records, talk to other people about their Solaras and ask a lot of questions. Our '99 SLE V6 Solara is one of the best cars we have owned (out of more than 45 cars)!! Course then, we don't live in web's neighborhood. He gets right riled when others defend the car - check the old posts here if you want to get the drift on web's line. No offense, web, but there is more than just your concept of Solaras. Time to move on!!!
  • jazzermpjazzermp Member Posts: 6
    Greetings from St. Louis. I am very interested in purchasing a SolaraI have found a 99 SLE (silver, certified, 40K), and a 2000 SE (silver, 41K, V6 auto). I keep hearing about this 'pulling' business. The cars are both within my price range, both comparably equipped. Any thoughts on which one to choose - I know you have not seen them - or any problems (brakes, allignment, exhuast, paint, electrical) I should be wary of - would be appreciated. The SE looks better and maybe drives smoother. Both cars seem excellent. Going to a Solara (or 00 Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed) from a 94 Probe GT 5 speed. Tuesday is decision day.

Thanks,
    JazzerMP
  • bwiebebwiebe Member Posts: 27
    Everything else being equal probably better to get the '00. '99 was the first model year and first model years always have some problems that are fixed as production moves on. '99's seem to have more of the pulling problems with few reports on this site '00 and after. I have a '00 SLE and love the car after 40,000 km. I have had the slight chugging problem but overall its inconsequental and I think its fixed now after having the computer replaced.
    They did not get the pull prob fixed on the 2000! Mine is a 2000!!!

Rbleland (???), sorry if you took my public posting personally. I like Toyota, but have been disappointed with the quality on my car, and my neighbors 99 Camry, which has since been dumped. I owned a Toyota in the 80's and it was one of the BEST cars I ever owned. That was then, this is now. As far ar Toyota Motor Corp, I am rather impressed that when the only Toyota postings seemed to be on the Toyota SLUDGE topic, that the manager from TMC actually took time to contact me various times, and validate that the problems I was having were not isolated to my car. Like you said "No offense, web, but there is more than just your concept of Solaras. Time to move on!!! " If you were to take your own advise, you would not be posting here. I have said it before, that I would have appreciated some feedback, from people other than car salesman, and the like, that post here, and had acually had some feedback from people that had real world driving experiences, such as things that were wrong with their cars, as well as a running thread of how nice it looks in white, etc, before writing my check!

Jazzermp, if those are your two choices, I would recommend the Maxima. They are both, IMO overpriced, but I have yet to meet anyone that has a Maxima have any complaints about purchasing one. You will enjoy the 4 doors, also, as I have found that from the few passengers I have had in the rear seats, I have lost (and found) much plastic trim, some I have no idea where it came from, from the people entering and leaving the vehicle. A deciding factor may also be the availabilty of parts, and your dealers hours. I have been, and will continue to be a Toyota customer, as my local dealer is open 5 days a week, until midnight, 5pm Saturday, with no appointment needed, and I have only gone for a minor trim part at 10pm, the mirror in the visor fell out while driving near the dealer, and they needed to order a new visor. Otherwise they have had everything imaginable in stock, with no appointment.

So if anyone thinks I got a lemon, I may have, but the dealer was always there to fix it, so far! Sorry if it sounds like I am anti anything, just posting my experience and opinions!
    PS...everything else being equal, I would not recommend any of the potentially "sludgeable" engines. If you can, try to spring for a 2003, if you choose the Solara, with the better engine design, to prevent being required to over maintain the car. You may not even be aware of the potential or rel life, costly, problems many people encountered, and the recycled trade-ins, but they are archived in Edmunds. Some of the threads are viewable if you are new to Edmunds, but not certain about all of them.
  • jazzermpjazzermp Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, everyone, for the quick responses. I'm on my way to see another Maxima SE and a new 2002 Solara SE V6 which has been marked down. Thanks again!
    JazzerMP
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    I found the Solara while helping my assistant shop for a new car. She ended up with an Alero, and I bought the Solara.

She has had countless problems, some were electrical, new alternator, new battery were needed. there were oil leaks, etc. etc. The car is already getting noisy, the interior is cramped and has lots of little nooks and crannies to collect dirt and dust. The chrome is also fading from the wheels.

My '99 SLE has been virtually problem free, except for a minor issue with the wireless alarm remote when they installed the CD changer. It is still dead quiet, not a squeak or rattle, extremely comfortable, runs great and fast, and the A/C is twice as powerful as the Alero's - important these days here in So. Calif.

I REALLY need a 4-door car now for business reasons, It is going to be very hard to part with the Solara - I have put it off for a year so far, but I must do something soon. After this great performance, I am really afraid that my next car won't be as good as this one - regardless of the price.
    Your assistants car sounds like my Solara! LOL I checked out the Alero when GM decided to can Oldsmobile. MSRP it came with EVERYTHING, that was extra on the Solara. For the same MSRP, I could have had the same Solara SE model I currently own. I am not much on all the frills, like outside temp and leather seats and the big dimming mirror, but for the same price it would have been nice.

Have you looked at the new Camry's??? They are very roomy, and certainly will have Toyota's quality!
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    ... how people think that ANECDOTAL information is better than FACTUAL information.

TRUTH: the Toyota Co. acknowledgement of the sludge 'problem' is in response to a SIENNA owners' letter-writing campaign. The lead complainant also sued the manufacturer of her previous mini-van (GM, I believe), and is in the process of suing HER OWN LAWYER.

TRUTH: I have queried the Camryman forum, along with a Lexus forum regarding the 'sludge' problem. My responses (including one from a purported Toyota tech), all say the 1MZ-FE engine has no sludge problem IF YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL REGULARLY - ie. every 3K -5K miles.

I have 42K on my 2000 SE V-6, and change my oil regularly. Lo and behold, I have no sludge problem. My Solara is wonderful, and outside of a drought in the tri-state area that limits my ability to wash my car as often as I'd like, I have no complaints.

QUERY: Is there any possibility that the drivers of mini-vans don't take care of their cars - ie. do regular maintenance?

I would hazard a guess and say that Solara/Lexus owners end to take better care of their babies. Also, one has to ask: does ONE bad car mean that the entire line/company is bad? If so, then EVERY car manufacturer sucks...

Just my two cents, and my apologies for the rant...
    It amazes me that you would suggest maintenance("TRUTH: I have queried the Camryman forum, along with a Lexus forum regarding the 'sludge' problem. My responses (including one from a purported Toyota tech), all say the 1MZ-FE engine has no sludge problem IF YOU CHANGE YOUR OIL REGULARLY - ie. every 3K -5K miles.")The owneres manual suggests otherwise, and that would make the annual maintenance cost rise sugnificantly. Read the book lately??? You seem to know way too much about the sludge issue and the people involved.

Isn't there a saying about 1 bad apple...???(fill in blank yourself)

Anyone know where the big black plastic thing under the dash, between the passengers feet and glove box, pops in, as mine fell out the other day driving home, and it seems to be connected to something way up in the dash board. Thanks.
    My only comment on this alleged problem is that the local Toyota dealership (in business over 20 years here and has some 6,000 cars sold/on the road) has had NO cases of engine sludge!! One engine was replaced by Toyota for a similiar to sludge problem; however, the owner of the vehicle admitted he had not changed the oil in about 60,000 kms (over 37K miles). The owner was, however, a very opinionated and vocal type and Toyota decided to get hem out of their hair by replacement of the engine anyway. The local dealer has heard of the alleged problems (mainly in the U.S.), but no problem here. More/nastier lawyers in the U.S.???
    If there is no potential sludge problem, why did Toyota send all those letters (3.3 million x's 2, I believe), saying that there was a sludge problem, and that they would cover the problem for 8 years unlimited milage, for those effected??? The nasty lawyers...not!!! LOL

So where you live, if your vocal, and opinionated, you get a $7000 engine? Doesn't add up. Who would admit to not changing their oil for 60,000kms, and who's "hair" at Toyota was this person in? Who is "their hair"??? Does not seem to make any sense!

Anyway, I am glad Toyota did change their engine design to be less maintenance sensitive, so that consumers may follow the oil change intervals in the manual, instead of what Jiffy Lube says. Would be nice for people buying the used ones to know about it, before they make their decision to spend their hard earned dollars. They are everyday cars for most people, not the weekend Ferrari! ;^)
  • jr86jr86 Member Posts: 1
    I must be lucky, because I will have owned my pearl white SLE V6 convertible for two years in October. I have no sludge, no paint chips, no rattles, no unusual cowl shake, no bass problems. I absolutely love the car, the way it looks, the way it rides, and the way it handles. I would recommend this car to anyone. In fact, one my friends, a Sebring owner, read all of the negative comments on this board, drove my car several times looking for these problems, and promptly acquired the Solara. I don't mean to belittle the problems that have been voiced by others on this board, but I have seen none of them in my vehicle.
    Yours must have not been built on a Monday or a Friday! LOL

What about cowl shake?
    I'm just telling you what I was told. The "sludge" problem was mainly in the U.S. and the Cdn. owners were included in the letter campaign (I'm told). Anyway, it matters not to me - my family has a very good car in the Solara. I'm tuning out on this board as there is so much negativism here and being the Internet, no one can prove whether its truthful or not. I also own a Subaru and sure don't find the Subie sites to be so dominated by negative people. Adios!!
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    webguyster - I am really sorry that your car is one of the few that is having problems. I had a Buick (my last American car forever)that LIVED at the dealer for weeks at a time, and could never be fixed properly, so I can understand how you feel.

However, your use of EVERY possible subject and posting to rag on your Solara is getting really tiresome, and I am sure that many other of the members feel the same way (some support, here!)

It is clearly obvious that you are in the very small minority, so do something about it! Get a Lemon Law Attorney and make Toyota give you a new car, a rebate or ?? At least take SOME action in addition to incessant sniveling.

Regarding the Alero - I travel and rent cars constantly - every American car I have every rented - be it a Ford, Chryler or (gasp!)GM product - made me Thank GOD for the Japanese and Germans, and to yearn to get back into my Solara. You want to really feel like a sucker - go ahead and buy Domestic! You'll get what you pay for - and less!
  • bezaharbezahar Member Posts: 20
    I think webguyster just likes to complain, I personally think that he would get much more enjoyment by selling his Solara going out and buying an early 90s Hyundai (my prior car.) That way he'd have so much more to complain about, making his life that much more complete.

Talking about rentals that is actually one of the things that did push me towards getting a Solara. I actually rented one while on travel, and it was so much better then any of the other rentals that I'd had it stuck in my mind when I eventually did buy my car. Though I had wanted the convertible, they were still pretty rare so I ended up with a stick. The only thing I might have gone for was a TRD which they had in the show room but I couldn't quite justify the extra cost.

00 Red SE-V6 5-speed
  • jhaningerjhaninger Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1999 Solara SLE V6 with 69,000 miles.
    Yesterday, I had to have my Rear strut plates,
    left wheel bearing and left rear tie rod end replaced. The car was making a clunking noise going over bumps and also a rhythmic whine when cruising. Total cost $826.62 !!!
    Anyone else have to have such major rear end work on their Solara?
    I love the car, but I have also owned many other cars and never have I had to replace the rear strut plates after so few miles. The car has never been recked and is not driven over bumpy roads.
  • strawbsstrawbs Member Posts: 8
    I've had my '02 4cyl SE for almost a year now, and it's still as quiet and comfortable as it was when new. I drive it only 3-4 times a week, but that just makes me enjoy it even more, I believe.
    Sorry to hear about your car. Even I have yet to have this problem. What about the right side. Is it fine??? Did the service people want you to do both sides?

It doesn't have anything to do with...
    Recall 00V154000: Rear Axle Hub Failure

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. Due to improper heat treatment, the rear axle may not have adequate strength in some areas. After extended use of the vehicle, the rear axle shafts could fail or break.

Dealers will inspect and replace the rear axle hub assemblies.

Owner notification is expected to begin late June or early July 2000. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

does it???
    Sorry if it sounds like a lot of complaining, but again, these are my auto experiences with my Solara. Something interesting, when reading some bios, that some of the people that post here raving about the Solara, do not even drive one. The Solara is their spouses, or their friends, grandmas, or aunts, or they work at a Toyota dealership, etc, etc. The other people that post asking for suggestions, or info, or that are having problems, or asking for info, usually get answers, like I have had mine for a month, no problems!!! Smooth all the way! Thats a big help. Or my favorite it drives better than my Lexus, or something like that.

I also drive many rental cars, and they are typically fleet cars, acquired, and produced for the car rental companies. They are generally not top of the line vehicles, or premium vehicles, and although similar to what you will find on the auto lot, usually are not the cars of choice.
  • jraysjrays Member Posts: 20
    This gets so tiring....

Complain, complain, complain. That's all we hear from certain participants on this board. Nothing constructive is suggested and no problem seems to ever be resolved. The rest of us, who actually own Solaras, have nothing to complain about, so we are left hearing the daily rants of someone not smart enough to get rid of a car they seem to hate.

I've had my Solara for over 2 years with ZERO problems. And that's the NORM, not the exception! I'm very picky and would take it back in a second for anything that I thought needed repair. This is by far the best car I have ever owned. It's stylish, quiet, and I find the quality top notch. Believe me, if it was a lemon, I would be the first to take action. I would not dare let problems go on for years and complain constantly about something that I, as an adult, could and should take care of very easily. Grow up. Sheesh!

What purpose does it serve for someone to constantly complain about something, but not do anything about it? Could it be the person likes to complain or is there something else we don't know about? I'm not sure about the rest of you, but from now on, I choose not to acknowledge the habitual complainers. Maybe they will just go away or better yet, buy a different car.

Anyone considering buying a Solara should read all the posts and give the small amount of complaints their fair consideration (which is about zero).

Okay I'm ready to be trashed now by you know who...
    It is nice to hear somone chatting about there car! And that the Solara has 0 problems all around. Get real dude. Did you not have Lexus truck before??? Maybe I am incorrect. Sorry if I am. A few new posters asked some questions about the Solara, got any feedback for them, or just like reading my posts?

One of the more recent posts was a potentially very dangerous problem, with the rear and of his car. No feedback for him/her, except, sell it if you don't like it, because you have had 0 problems with yours. Nice feedback! Very charming.
    ... as Freddie Krueger might say...

ok - let's go over this again WebG - I researched my car for a year before settling on the Solara. I had to know EVERYTHING about it before I plunked my hard-earned cash down, and that included the 'sludge' thing. Hence, I discovered that the majority of complainants were housebound-types who can't spell 'internal combustion engine', let alone know what maintenance for such a beast would require. I ran the VIN for other publicly-issued recalls, and it came up clean.

Once again, I do NOT want this to get mean - I really would like other prospective Solara buyers to understand that Japanese-engineered cars are not bullet-proof, and to make informed, educated decisions by test-driving as much as possible. Take an hour to study the car's lines/panels, listen to the engine at highway speeds w/the radio off, et cetera [all of which is covered VERY well by Edmunds]. But you REALLY seem to be pissed off now. I see that you are looking at unloading your lemon - congrats! It's about time, and hopefully, you will get something that will make you happy.
    But you seem to be attacking other Solara owners now, albeit, they are getting angry at you, and you may be defending yourself.
    And as for the millions of Toyota letters admitting guilt - hmmm, let's see... I remember MTV getting hauled over the coals for NOT putting a warning prefacing Beavis & Butthead because of some moron of a woman's letter campaign - ie. this CARTOON is dangerous to kids who might set themselves on fire. I also remember FOX getting harassed by some Puzzled Parents Group for the coarse dialogue in Married W/Children.
    One member of a Lexus club (40 members strong) wrote to tell me that only ONE of their members had a sludge problem - a '99 pre-owned vehicle.
    Let's put this in perspective: Toyota puts out a letter and a deal that absolutely can't hurt them if their cars are regularly maintained (more on that) - no more sludge problems, or you get extra coverage. The Big Blue Oval Ford has lawsuits of: the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis police cars that burn to death their occupants after a collision; extra-large vans that lethally roll-over while performing emergency turns at 35mph; and let's not forget how many South/North Americans died before the Firestone tire recalls went out.
    And as for the manual... I'm sorry, WebG, but common sense tells me: no matter what the manual says, if I change my oil MORE often than what is required, my engine should be happy for a longer amount of time. And that is coming from a guy who refuses to throw $23-25K of his hard-earned ducats on an impulse buy.
    My apologies for the length of this diatribe. You may go back to your regularly scheduled program.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    I guess the 5 spd has been disscontinued for the 03 Solara V6 for some reason.Hopefully the 04 models will have the manual option...
    In your post #2126 you attempt to discredit the comments of people who are tired of your ceaseless negative comments, by inferring that your Solara experience as an owner is superior those of us whose Solara is owned by "spouses, friends, grandma, aunts or work at a
    Toyota dealership". You say you have reviewed the bios of others who post opinions contrary to yours; thus you know my Solara is owned by my wife (because my bio is complete, as opposed to yours - more on that later). Notwithstanding the ownership of the car, let me assure you that I personally drive the Solara 50% of the time, do all the long-distance driving in it and do/have done all the maintenance on the car. Trust me, I know what I am talking about. I have had over 45 vehicles in my life so I'm not exactly a neophyte on cars.
    As to your issue with the bios, your bio says you are "webguyster", your name is "wp", you live in the U.S., and your drive a "Toyota". Great bio, web, that tells us a lot, ie. nothing. We really don't know if you are real or not?? Maybe, it is possible, you are a troll. I'm not saying you are, but, and I quote from a troll website, "a troll places provocative postings to a newsgroup intended to produce a large volume of responses. The content of the trollposting generally falls into several areas. It may consist of an apparently foolish contradiction of common knowledge, a deliberately offensive insult to the readers of a newsgroup or a broad request for follow-up posings". You are anonymous, web, and you sure are provocative and have got alot of posters "dander" up. The best way to deal with trolls or troll-like people is to ignore them and they eventually lose interest and (hopefully) go away. I think most posters to this site are either already ignoring you or are about to.
    Don't bother twisting my tail on your response, because I have no intention of replying to your comments (unless you offer some proof you are real). I hope you find something better to do with your time.
    Thanks for the feedback. Thank goodness I am not a troll. It seems like a few of yall' is flamin'! LOL!!! I just asked if anyone in the group could answer the guy with the bad rear end problem. No need to get so emotional. I tried to help him by asking if he may believe it is related to the recall of the 1999 Solaras, and maybe he may get help getting some of his hard earned money back. It's not being negative, it's called helping a stranger, or a random act of kindness. Because you may not interperate it this way, sorry if helpfulness and kindness is not in your personality or spirit, or you are rebuked by being nice. You guys get HOT when you walk past a crusifix???

As for the bio, I keep it simple, as I got tons of unwanted SPAM when I posted an e-mail address a few years ago, GEEZ!

rblelan..."The best way to deal with trolls or troll-like people is to ignore them". Is that how people deal with you??? ;^)

As for my time, seems like I spend it just like you do!

Peace!
  • jhaningerjhaninger Member Posts: 5
    The right side of the car seems ok. The dealer fixed the left rear wheel bearing under warranty.
    I still think the "Strut plates" should have lasted more than 69,000 miles.
    Any idea what the strut plates are? I know the strut mechanism consists of the spring, housing and the shock absorber inside. But what is the strut plate?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Please keep in mind this is not the Complaint Station.

I would like to see all Solara owners and all new-comers to the Board to feel welcome and to get a chance to post their questions.

Please don't dominate the board with complaints. Make your point and take a breather. This forum is for exchanging helpful information.

thanks for listening

MrShiftright
    Host
    i've said it before - be prepared for me to counter you. If you continue to infer in your multiple postings that the Solara IN GENERAL is a bad car, I'm going to throw my in two cents' worth.

i've logically placed my counter-arguments, without curses or extreme insults. if you want to belittle me, fine. but if you continue to backtrack when you've overstepped your bounds, it really does make you look small.

peace

ps - 42K miles in my 2000 SE V6. the only complaint? constant aggravation from the Rice-crowd who seem to think well-kept Solaras are fair game; one of these days, i'm gonna get a ticket...
    Good that you got that part fixed under warranty. Don't know what the expected life span of that part may be! At least it is fixed, so you should have many more trouble free, safe miles to enjoy your Solara!!! Was that the Toyota ExtraCare warranty?

Silversolara...please listen to Shify's advise above. 5 minutes after he posted, you just ignored him. I never said anything about in "GENERAL" about the Solara, you make inferences, rather personal, emotional ones. If it were"IN GENERAL is a bad car", as you state above, would that somehow make you feel bad? I am missing something about your cyber threats. Is your Shift key broken, you letters are looking "small", and who are the "Rice-crowd" (sounds very derogatory) and where are you going with your ticket??? :^)

39,000 miles and still drivin'.
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Member Posts: 191
    One person (like websterguy) with a troublesome car proves nothing. The Toyotas built on the Camry platform are among the most reliable cars made. Sources with statistically significant data (Consumer Reports, JD Power, etc.)all agree on this. There are some quirks with Solaras (rough ride on bad roads, paint chips easily, etc.), but overall it is an impressive vehicle - smooth, quiet, powerful, stylish.
  • fastgenofastgeno Member Posts: 3
    I'll be upgrading to 17" wheels this weekend. What would be the best thing I could do with the stock 16" alloy wheels? Would keeping them help with future resale value of the car? Or should I sell them - is there enough demand for them to make it worth the effort? Do I have any other options? Thanks in advance for any help.

99 Solara SE V6 5-speed
    29000 Miles & counting
    Depending on how long you plan to keep your car, I would keep 'em! You have the 1999, so you may have an alloy spare, as well. Sometimes when you trick out the car, it actually diminishes it's resale value, as a subsequent buyer, dealer or private party may not want a tricked out car, and the stock alloy wheels, "retail" $380.00- $400.00 per wheel. If you want to see if you can E-bay them, you might get your new wheels for free!?! Are you upgrading your suspension, also?
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    To give you guys an update, I had the main ECM replaced in my Solara on Friday. Driving back on the way home, there was only one slight harsher downshift, but everything so far is GREAT. I think I'll know much better tomorrow, as I plan on going on the same road where the chugging I had reported in earlier posts became apparent. Shifting was barely noticeable, smoother I think than it ever had been.

My security light, however, never stops blinking . I was told this was because they changed the ECM and unplugged the battery for a while, but that the Solara ECM actually resets this light after driving the car for a while. Just thought I'd let you know in case you decide to unplug your battery.
    It's good to hear your Solara is working better. Isn't a good feeling when the car problems finally gets fixed, after multiple visits. If you have read the prior postings, some people don't want to hear any "complaining" about the Solara. SHHHH!!! Just it drives great, or looks great in pearl white! Smooth!!! No problems, etc. LOL!

Is the blinking ECM, the little red light in the dash?

Happy motoring!
    Well, I did drive around quite a bit today, and the problem, unfortunately, is still very much there. I would even go as far as saying there was an occasional transmission slippage. I will bring it (AGAIN) to the dealer sometime next week. Otherwise, my Solara days are being counted... sadly.

The light that blinks right now is the one inside the tach.
    That stinks that it's not fixed! That darn VVTI or whatever they call it. What other car would you consider, if you dump the Solara??? Is the "issue" so bad, that it interferes with driving, or is a hazzard, or can you just chalk it up to a distinct driving characteristic of the Solara, like I did with my 2-1 gear, downshift, clunk, and just say it's just transportation, and be greatful you have a car? Mine is paid for, thats why I decided to try to stick it out, as the car has depreciated sooo much, I am not willing to take such a huge hit on trade in. If I were financing, I problably would have dumped it a long time ago, and just kept paying car payments the rest of my days, but I paid for this one, and thats why it's mine until it cant move or be fixed anymore.

The red tach light in my car is always flashing, when the alarm is armed??? Is that the little flashing light?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    You wrote "Mine is paid for, thats why I decided to try to stick it out, as the car has depreciated sooo much, I am not willing to take such a huge hit on trade in. If I were financing, I problably would have dumped it a long time ago, and just kept paying car payments the rest of my days, but I paid for this one, and thats why it's mine until it cant move or be fixed anymore."

I don't understand the logic of this, if you could afford new car payments (or am I reading you wrong?).

If I was as unhappy with a car as you are with this one, I'd dump it (assuming I could afford to), paid for or not.

Like many regular posters on this site, I get a lot of enjoyment from a car. The aggravation of a problem ride wouldn't be worth it to me. Life's too short.
    I'd keep the stock Solara wheels, if, for no other reason, on resale or trade in you may be far better off to have the stock wheels in place (and keep the 17" or sell them then). Just my opinion.
    I don't have VVT-i on my car, so that can't be the problem. I have the 3.0L V6. It's currently not a hazard, but is annoying as heck, and could very might well be. I'm just trying to have this problem fixed before my warranty runs out. It's not a Solara driving characteristic, since it didn't do it when I bought the car.

I'm definitely extremely grateful to have a car, but I also paid hard-earned money for this car to operate the way I expect it to. Right now it isn't. Trading it in might be an option for me, since I bought it as an end of lease. I'd be losing money when I'd trade it in for sure, but a whole lot less than if I bought it new. Anyway, the point is, I DON'T want to trade it in because I think this car is fantastic. I'll call my dealership tomorrow and talk to the service manager. Hopefully they'll change the transmission, which I seriously think is the source of the problem. If they solve the problem, great! If not, I don't know what I'd consider at this point.
    At this point in my life, the new car thing, every 1-2 years, and losing thousands of $$$'s trading them in, to "show-boat" is not an option. I chose Toyota, and considered Honda/Acura, because I believed word of mouth, and the various media articles, generally sponsered by manufacturers, that they were better quality cars. What my experiance has been that I spent more, but did not get more for the buck. That's all I mean't by the line you quote above. I am not looking to spend more money on a new car, because this car has been a burden. It is fine for what it is now.

Canc, they get it right sooner or later! That was my experiEnce, and I got to meet most of the day and night shift people at the local Toyota, from being there sooooo frequently! ;^)
    Thanks for the comments. I'm sure they'll fix the problem eventually, and I really wasn't looking forward to buying a car again. I like this one too much, and I'm sure to like it even more when they resolve this problem!

Do you put regular or premium in your car?
    Premium only! I am a stickler for doing things by the book, except the oil changes, which get done every 2,800 to 2,900 miles, none of that 5,000-7,500 mile stuff, like the manual recommends.

I can see why you want to keep the car. It is a nice looking car, and has a nice curb appeal, especially the model years before Toyota changed the grill, and tail lights, IMO. I still get some compliments on it, although it has become over saturated around here, with black Solaras identical to mine! At least you look good pulling up in your car, unless others see it chugging!!! :)~

That would be my breaking point, as it was with my 97 Dodge Avenger. Pull up to pick someone up, and the car is chugging! With my Avenger it was the ratchet noise of the tranny, and a loud sqweel from the rear brakes, that never could be fixed!
    I never really liked the Avenger. New Chryslers seem to have gone up dramatically in build quality, and the powertrain warranty is great. If they don't fix my Solara, I might actually consider a Chrysler... it's what I had before.
    WEbG - Shifty's post happened while I was writing my retort - hence the confusion. Believe me, had I seen Shifty's request, I would have a honored a 'cease-fire. My apologies.

CAnc - I always fill on those 'wild' weekends when premium is only a penny more than mid-grade. In the southern part of the Garden State, that's about $1.39 a gallon for premium. Your chugging prob seems to be unique in this forum; wish I could help you out...
    If you do consider a new car (Chrysler?), perhaps tell me the results of your research - I considered waiting for the latest Stratus R/T, but the Solara was too nice. The only problem I had with Chrysler was its after-purchase reputation: "5-star" service. Of course, over 400K recalls on the PT Cruiser might also sway an opinion, but the R/T is still the sister car to the Eclipse...