Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• equalizer1equalizer1 Member Posts: 177
    BTW, I agree with you about the quattro weighing down the 1.8 automatic to the point of being extremely sluggish. With the 1.8, I would definitely have gone with no quattro or a 5 spd. with quattro The 2.8 with quattro automatic would be faster without it, but there is a much marked improvement over the 1.8 with quattro. If you are going to get quattro and automatic, your best bet is the 2.8.
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    Lo,
    I heard that A4 1.8T can be chipped to get up to 300hp!!! Is this true? I hope I don't sound too stupid! I am quite skeptical at this as with such and increase of hp won't the drivetrain be experience extreme loads of stress? Can this be acheived by a chip alone? Please explain.
  • beachbummbeachbumm Member Posts: 21
    Be sure to check out the forums on Audiworld.com and you will find out a lot about chipping a 1.8. According to one chipper, Audi engineers have stated that 300 hp is safe and feasible with this engine. Probably they meant with a k04 turbo and different manifold, etc. But I spoke to Hoppen Sport here in Sarasota and he was with Audi for many years. He said the 1.8 is a marvelous thing and can easily be tuned for 250 hp with no unusual loss of longevity or engine quality. After all, the TT will have 225 hp with same engine and it's just a production car.
  • koffedrnkrkoffedrnkr Member Posts: 16
    yes, you can chip...but keep this in mind. the KKK03 turbocharger shared by the A4 and passat is rated for max. boost at 11-12 psi. you can boost performance by remapping the ECU to increase boost, but beyond 12psi, you run the risk of killing the turbo.
    of course, you can upgrade to the KKK04, but people who have done so haven't always been pleased. there have been unusual and all-to-frequent cases of premature KKK04 failures which have yet to be explained. you can gain a few HP with a low-restriction exhaust too...but one basic problem remains.
    a FWD car can only handle so much torque before you chirp the tires. beyond a certain point, it gets academic. if you spin the tires every time you launch, what good are your mods? quattro would certainly help with this.
    most chippers choose either a conservative .8bar chip or a 1bar chip. 1.5 bar chips exist and they generate around 15psi of boost...3psi over the KKK03's operational limit. choose your level of commitment wisely because VW/AUDI can deny warranty work if the parts in question could possibly have been effected by your chip.
    So keeping everything stock one can get the 1.8T to 250hp? a whopping 100hp increase? No need to change the clutch, differential (Quattro) etc? ow mcuh is the chip? Is it as simple as just dropping the chip in? So this can be done to the new turbo beetle too huh?
  • bbassettbbassett Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking at an A4 1.8T, this is my first experience with German engineering. I've heard all the wonderful things about it... my question is...Is a 97 A4 a reliable car for a cost of 19.5k or should I opt for a 99.5(in stock) or a 00. I can't decide if the 97 is a good deal.....
    ramon,
    using a .8 bar chip gets you about 40-50hp. a 1.0 bar chip can boost HP to around 200 and torque to the 195-205 lb/ft. range.
    there are basically only a few ways to chip...you solder it into an existing ECU box, you reprogram the existing chip, you make a socket to swap between stock and boosted chips, or you replace the entire ECU module.
    chips usually run in the $185-$500 range. an entire ECU runs around $800. software updates generally run around $20. most tuning companies will need your ECU to perform the modification, so you won't be able to drive for a day or two. also keep in mind that if your chip is detected while at the dealer for service, it can and will void parts of your warranty.
    most 1.8T modifications are sold in "stages" depending upon how much performance you're looking for. most stage 1 packages include a chip and a high-flow air filter (K&N or RAMAair). Stage 2&3 kits get into bigger turbos, larger intercoolers, low-restriction exhausts, sturdies clutches and the like. these kits run thousands of dollars.
    so....in partial answer to your question, yes 250HP is possible but NO, not from a stage 1 kit. you need more bucks and more hardware to get there. if you're interested in chipping, my best advice is to visit a few tuner sites and keep a close eye on the forums at www.audiworld.com. each tuner has a different philosophy which becomes apparent in their design. some value moderation while others are willing to sacrifice reliability for performance. here are some sites to get you started:

www.chip-tuning.com
    www.greedspeed.com
    www.autothority.com
    So a stage one will get you 40-50hp yes? no clutch, drivetrain changes yes? And it costs about 200 bux.... amazing!
    Actually, Ramon, what's amazing is that Audi doesn't just sell the A4 this way in stock form. This is supposedly coming in the next makeover, the word is that the A4 will have 185 hp in base form.
    If at all possible, go with the 99.5! There are many improvements to the 99.5 that are not on the '97. I would think that with the '00 models arriving daily that you should be able to shop around for a good deal on the 99.5. I have had my A4 for several weeks now and have 600 miles on it. I absolutely love it. It is by far the best automobile I've ever owned and it is such a pleasure to drive. Obviously, I can't speak for long term reliability just yet!
  • klk1klk1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I am interested in buying an A4 Q & live in Danbury Ct area. Any opinions on good dealers to work with? are these cars going at MSRP? Thanks!
  • equalizer2equalizer2 Member Posts: 3
    You can definitely get the A4 below MSRP. Most dealers are selling it from anywhere between 4.5%-6% over invoice. Please go to www.a4.org. They will give you an idea of the best dealers in the Danbury or surrounding areas.
  • mdbaker1mdbaker1 Member Posts: 17
    I just priced out an Audi 2.8 sedan on www.carorder.com and they are currently selling it for slightly more than $400 over invoice.

I don't know if it's a glitch in their database or not, but it's worth checking into!
    Carorder.com must have had a glitch today, because I just went there and priced out a 2.8, and it was $1244 over invoice.
  • vanalen1vanalen1 Member Posts: 1
    The carorder.com price mdbaker1 is quoting is for the front wheel drive.
  • mdbaker1mdbaker1 Member Posts: 17
    Well, my wife and I just placed an order through www.carorder.com for the following:

2000 Audi A4 2.8 Sedan in Light Silver Metallic
    Convenience Package
    Tiptronic Automatic Transmission
    Sports Steering Wheel

All for a delivered price of $29,697 and when I say delivered, I mean DELIVERED on a flatbed truck to our home!

There are no additional fees for advertising, adjusted market value, dealer prep, installation, etc...

We'll never have to deal directly with any dealers, only with our carOrder sales rep.

Maybe because we're getting a non-Quattro model is the reason why we're paying slightly above $400 over invoice with all options at invoice price.

I hope that this whole thing works out. I'll keep everyone posted.
    Congratulations! Alot of people at A4.org have used Carorder.com, and got a great deal. I am sure everything will work out.

That sounds like my car, except I got leather, xenons and Bose. The light silver is great (self cleaning).

Be prepared to "fall in love"!
  • mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    from reading this topic, it appears that you are very well informed about the a4. i am leaning toward a 328, but was surprisingly impressed with the a4. i have a few questions? 1) why did you pich audi over bmw? 2) did you have any reliability concers -- audi gives a 3 year warranty, most others give 4 3) are repair cosrts higher than for other brands 4) how has real world accelearation been -- quicker than the posted numbers?

thanks
    mfeldman,
    the BMW is certainly a fine automobile and i don't think anyone would dispute that. unfortunately, what makes the BMW wonderful on dry pavement is the same thing which can hurt you in other seasons...namely rear wheel drive. even with traction control, it's still no nearly as preferable as the quattro AWD setup one can find on an audi.
    personally while i like BMW's, i can't quite see myself driving one. i was impressed with the A4's construction and manners. it was classy without being snobbish and the price is very attractive as well. if you're a pure performance driver, BMW is probably a better choice. if you need a balance between sedan and sportscar in a place with multiple seasons, the audi may be for you. as for 0-60 times...remember that after the warranty expires, you can do incredible things with the ECU to turn your sedan into a barnburner
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    I'm thinking of ordering an A4 2.8 in the spring. I am leaning toward the "Melange" color with a Clay CLOTH interior (I can't get the leatherette in this color combination-with the dark wood trim as opposed to the light-and don't feel like springing for the leather). Does anyone have either the Melange color and/or cloth interior? What do you think of them? I would also order Quattro, Tiptronic, Xenon lights, Cold Weather package, Sport steering wheel, and Bose. Any opinions on this package would be appreciated! My impressions after driving the car were that its best features were Tiptronic, Quattro, and the interior detailing. I especially liked the Sport wheel with the Tiptronic buttons on the upper spokes. Thanks!
    I couldn't have said it better than koeffedmkr. Basically I initially drove the Audi and loved it. Then I went on a Bimmer test drive, and it just didn't compare in my mind. The Audi was more refined, beautiful inside and out, the fit and finish were exemplary, the ride was just about equal to the Bimmer's on dry pavement, but the Bimmer just cannot possibly keep up with the Audi in inclemate weather. Drive the Audi in the rain, and the confidence factor of this car will shine through.

I also agree about the snob factor assocated with the Bimmer. If you go to www.bimmer.org, the people on that board are very unfriendly. If you go to www.a4.org, there is an entirely different atmosphere. It's hard to explain. You just need to visit both boards to see the difference.

As far as your other questions about the Audi, I did have reliability concerns, but I also had them with the BMW. After coming from Japanese cars, I guess this would be the average response. BMW and Audi both have three years free maintenance, but I believe BMW'S is for 3 years/36,000 miles, while Audi's is for 3 years/50,000 miles. Granted the BMW's basic warranty is a year longer (with no maintenance in the last year), but I would get an extended warranty no matter what car I purchased (even the most reliable Lexus), for peace of mind. I think the only thing that the Audi might be more expensive with is the fact that it has quattro, which is very sophisticated. Although I have not heard on any of the Audi boards of anything going wrong with quattro, even on older Audi models, if something did go wrong, it would probably be a more expensive proposition to fix than a BMW, but that is what extended warranties are for. BTW, the extended warranty from any company on the Audi is more expensive if you have quattro. It is more expensive on any 4WD vehicle because of the nature of the sophistication of the system, so you would be paying more for an extended warranty on an Audi than on a Bimmer.

As far as real world acceleration numbers are concerned, I really can't answer that. I have the 2.8, which is very comparable to the BMW 328 in HP and torque, but the BMW is lighter, as it does not have the quattro. The 2.8 is plenty fine for me. You might want to check out the S4, as it would be comparably priced to a 328 fully loaded, and be more in line performance wise to the M3.

So far this is the best car I have owned, hands down. I am glad I made this decision. There is no buyer's remorse at all. My husband who used to race cars in Washington State, test drove both extensively, and as far as he was concerned there was no contest. He loved the way the Audi looked inside and out, thought it was a more solid machine, and felt the quattro going through the corners at 80 mph. without worry was a major clincher!

Good luck in your decision. Both cars are really on equal ground. It really depends on personal preference, and what your needs are. If you live North of the Mason Dixon line, I feel it is a no brainer.
    I have the exact options on my 2.8 as you expressed you wanted on yours, except I have the leather option. BTW, the Xenon lights are definitely worth it. I got the Silver exterior color, but Melange was my second choice. If I ordered the Melange, I was going to get the color combination in the big pullout picture in the catalogue (I think it was Ecru/Brownstone). I think there are a few people on the A4 board, www.a4.org, that have the color combination you are looking it. I would probably go there are ask a question, and/or search the archives, and I am sure you will get an answer. If you can get the Melange with clay, I would think that would be a very nice combination. Alot of people with Melange went for the Ecru/Onxy interior, which is a really nice combination too. I was told to just cruise the Audi lots and look at all the color combinations before I made up my mind. It worked, as I was originally going to get Silver with the Opal Gray Interior, and when I saw the Silver with the Onyx/Anthracite interior, my mind was made up on the spot.

Good luck!
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for your insight! Funny, Silver is my second choice for the exterior. Also, I really liked the look of the Ecru interior, but the color was just a little too light. I haven't yet seen the Clay interior, but will go back to the lot until I see an A4 that has it. Who knows, I may end up with a different color interior and/or leather! I definitely want the darker wood trim, though. I agree with the person that said this is a "friendlier" group than the BMW people-I hate to generalize, but I decided that I did NOT want a "Beemer" in part based on the arrogant road manners of the people that drive them here in the Washington, DC area! Also, the incredible detailing of the Audi's interior was the clincher. Finally, the saleperson at Heishman Audi in Northern Virginia was very knowledgeable. Happy motoring!
    That is a great idea to walk around the lots as I did. You never know what color combination you'll come across that you didn't even think of. Last year my dealer had a Melange in the showroom, with I believe it was the clay leather interior, and it looked great. If I were ready to buy a car then, that is what I would have bought. My husband was really intent on the Silver, and I could have gone either way on the Melange or Silver, so we compromised.

I also wanted something with the darker wood. It looks great. I love the car. I hate to be at work because I can't drive it. If you feel even 1/2 the way I do, you'll be very happy with your choice. BTW, I think the Bose is great. I had the Bose in my Pathfinder and it was really good, but I think the Bose in the Audi is less bassy.

If you really want to ask questions, and find out other people's experiences with Heishman's, I urge you to check out www.a4.org. Go to the forum topics, and then to A4. The people there really helped with my decision, and educated me greatly on the car. Most of them are enthusiasts, and are happy when they can help another Audi fan.

Again, good luck!
  • evilpancakewomevilpancakewom Member Posts: 35
    ok right now im drunk, but anyway to get to the point POINT I have done a lot of research on all cars even Chevrolet and I have concluded that Audi wins. I have plenty of reasons including better warranty, better quaility, and a litte nice price. For you Volvo owners, I own a Volvo and its a great car but I have a lot of problems with it---- expensive! But any car itself is expensive, and I dont care how great of a car it is it is gonna have problems.
    Thats a weird ending but.........

Have a Great Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!
    :))))
  • jjacob1jjacob1 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a 99.5 A4 quattro in 4/99 with every option except the Bose radio (the dealer installed a 6-disc CD for $300 when the car arrived). A great dealer in Maryland sold me the car for $700 over invoice. I see that the 00 A4's can be ordered w/ xenon lights. Does anyone know an inexpensive way to fit my 99.5 w/ xenons? An after-mkt firm is asking $2,000 to do the job but the lights are a $500 option on the 00 models.
    You might want to ask this question of the enthusiasts on the www.audiworld.com forum. They have a lot of experience amongst them to guide you in the right direction.

Good luck!
  • jamie22jamie22 Member Posts: 3
    All, I'm new to this bboard, but I've read the whole thread.

I'm in the market for a new car. I've got it narrowed to the '97 A4 1.8 Quattro or the Subaru Impreza L (new). I've done tons of research, and I get the impression that it ALWAYS comes down to a choice between these two cars! Obviously this is an A4 crowd, but has anybody out there actually OWNED both cars?

I'm completely torn! I REALLY liked both. But the used Audi is about the same price as the new Subaru. (The warranty on the particular Audi I'm looking at expires 1/00.) I'm worried that the Audi's going to get expensive on me...

I need guidance!!! (BTW, I really liked the old Subaru commercial where their slogan was, It's what to drive. If that was still their slogan, I'd probably have bought it already!)

Thx!
    Jamie
    All, I'm new to this bboard, but I've read the whole thread.

I'm in the market for a new car. I've got it narrowed to the '97 A4 1.8 Quattro or the Subaru Impreza L (new). I've done tons of research, and I get the impression that it ALWAYS comes down to a choice between these two cars! Obviously this is an A4 crowd, but has anybody out there actually OWNED both cars?

I'm completely torn! I REALLY liked both. But the used Audi is about the same price as the new Subaru. (The warranty on the particular Audi I'm looking at expires 1/00.) I'm worried that the Audi's going to get expensive on me...

I need guidance!!! (BTW, I really liked the old Subaru commercial where their slogan was, It's what to drive. If that was still their slogan, I'd probably have bought it already!)

Thx!
    Jamie
    There was a whole thread on this same topic A4 vs. Subaru on the www.audiworld.com forum. Alot of A4 owners used to own Subarus, and claim that there is no comparison. You might want to go there and ask around.

I am assuming you would be buying the Audi from a private owner, or else you would get the Audi Warranty for 2 years from an Audi Authorized used car dealer.

My take on extended warranties is GET ONE! Especially if you are buying a high end European car. I own a '00 A4, and when the warranty is about out, I will definitely purchase an extended warranty. I think the money is worth it for peace of mind and resale value (most people will buy a car with an extended warranty over one without one). You are playing Russian Roulette if you don't get one on any car.

Good luck!
    Thanks EQ1. I searched and found several conversations. Uh, any idea where I can read the same discussions from the Subbie's p.o.v.?

Somebody refered to the A4 and the Impreza both as 'cult cars'. Man ya'll are hard-core! From what I've read I'm worried that either car will grow to consume my life and I may end up living in a compound with other cult-car owners. Hopefully there won't be any koolaid involved... :)

And yes, I'll definitely opt for the extended warranty!
    jamie
  • choosey1choosey1 Member Posts: 1
    I live in MD and I am considering a new a4 to replace my 16v Scirocco. What dealership gave you that great deal and where? I've been considering using carorder.com due to the near invoice pricing. But if I can get a good deal from a local dealer, I would prefer supporting my local economy. Besides, it can't hurt to initiate good will to a dealer that may be servicing my car.
    Jamie22:

I'm sorry but I don't know of any Subaru forums that you could look at, but you might want to put in "Subaru" on one of the search engines. That might bring you to something.

Let's put it this way, it's obvious that you want an AWD car. Audi is the high end of AWD cars compared to Subaru. It is a great driving, great performing and luxurious car. It is going to be more expensive to fix down the road, but like you agreed, an extended warranty would solve that. Subaru, according to the Audi gurus, has a good AWD system, but not as sophisticated as Audi's. You really have to drive both back to back to see which one fits your lifestyle.

choosey1

I am going to give you the same url for the Audi forums that I have given to many on this forum. All you need to do is put out a question about the dealership you are considering, and I am sure you will get answers back as to pricing, etc. BTW, you will not get anywhere as good pricing from a dealer as from Carorder.com. A dealer is going to charge you anywhere from 4-1/2%-6-1/2% over invoice, maybe more. Carorder had it about a month ago for $700 over invoice. That is the best deal you will get on a Y2K A4 anywhere. Many people on the Audi forums purchased their cars through Carorder.com and had no problems. The url for Audiworld is www.Audiworld.com.

Good luck!
  • intrigue2intrigue2 Member Posts: 46
    i recently took possession of a 2000 legacy gt limited sedan. my first car of choice was the audi 1.8t turbo, but for the price i got more with the subaru then the audi. let me state from the outset that i love the audi,it's a beautiful machine and yes its awd system is more sophisticated then the subaru.however, i was quoted a price of 26,700 for an automatice model, no sunroof or leather.
    for approximately 23,000 i got the gt limited with sunroof,and leather interior.the car performs like a sports car,the awd system is very evident on wet roads, i'm getting 26mpg,the boxer 4 with 165 hp has terrific passing power, and the sports suspension is terrific. you can't go wrong with either of these cars.the audi a4 is a classy vehicle, very upscale and if price was not a problem for me i'd have opted for it. however, the gt limited legacy is an excellent car also,my first foreign car and awd vehicle.if the a4 is too pricey for your wallet,try the subaru.either way you'll be getting a great car, as both have a sterling record for reliability and performance.you might also like to check out vw, as they have been hinting at an awd passat.good luck.
  • jvartisjvartis Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    If all goes well, I should be in the market for an A4 or (hehehehe) A6 2.7t pretty soon. My only worry is the long-term reliability and build quality of Audi. How DO they manage to pack so many features for so much less than BMW, Lexus et al???? I plan to drive my next car for several years at least and will be BUYING outright.

Anyway, to prevent my financially-responsible side from having continual heart failure, I'll definitely be getting the extended warranty on either car. Does anyone know approximately how much Audi's own extended warranty program (assuming there is one) costs? I'd rather get a manufacturer extended warranty than something from Warranty Gold. Also, does anyone have ballpark figures for Warranty-Gold style extended warranties?

Thanks!
    Vartis.
    Hi,
    If all goes well, I should be in the market for an A4 or (hehehehe) A6 2.7t pretty soon. My only worry is the long-term reliability and build quality of Audi. How DO they manage to pack so many features for so much less than BMW, Lexus et al???? I plan to drive my next car for several years at least and will be BUYING outright.

Anyway, to prevent my financially-responsible side from having continual heart failure, I'll definitely be getting the extended warranty on either car. Does anyone know approximately how much Audi's own extended warranty program (assuming there is one) costs? I'd rather get a manufacturer extended warranty than something from Warranty Gold. Also, does anyone have ballpark figures for Warranty-Gold style extended warranties?

Thanks!
    Vartis.
    Audi's warranty (which is not really an Audi warranty), covers only the major components of the car, i.e.; transmission, engine, etc. It is about $2,000 for a 7 yr./100,000 mile warranty. Warranty Gold has a platinum program that covers everything bumper to bumper, with no deductible for 7yrs./100,000 miles for about $2500. The reason the Audi is more expensive than other European cars is because of the quattro. Very sophisticated and expensive system to fix if broken.

I own an A4 and am personally going to go for the Warranty Gold. I have found in other cars, that if little things go wrong, it usually leads to bigger things, so I would like to be covered for everything to have peace of mind.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info. $2,000 for a powertrain/drivetrain warranty does seem a bit steep. I agree with you that the small things add up - powertrains/drivetrains are generally amongst the last to go in a car. A friend's A6 and 3-series were great (practical quattro A6 and all-out fun 328i; wish I had her money or, failing that, her heart and joint bank account) but every so often a fuel gauge, power accessory, instrument or some such doodad fails. If it wasn't for her warranty, she'd have paid a fortune by now.

Anyway, that info should pretty much seal it for me. Now to bide 4 weeks until I can place my carorder.com order! :)))

Vartis, in twin-turbo AWD dreamland...
    I can tell you this. I love the A4. If I needed a larger car, I would have purchased the A6. My husband wanted the A6, but since this was going to be my car, I wanted something a little more compact after coming from an SUV. I feel as long as I get an extended warranty, and am covered for everything except basic maintenance and wear and tear items, I will be a very happy camper. It will only extend my happiness with this car. I hope you end up feeling the same way.

Good luck!
  • genieboygenieboy Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking of pruchasing a 1998 A4. Does any current owners have any feedback? How is the reliability of this car? Thanks.
  • japancarloverjapancarlover Member Posts: 6
    I am shopping for a new car because my Integra with 138,000+ miles is wearing out. It is also time for a change. I have looked at an Audi A4, and I have been reading with considerable interest the messages filed in this topic.

For me. the fundamental use for a car is to get from Point A to Point B reliably, safely, and comfortably. The Hartford, CT area where I live is not noted for its public transportation options. I am not willing to compromise this principle very much, but I also would like a car that also has some pizzazz (whatever that means in a given situation).

To approach the same idea from a different angle, if I am to spend $25,000 on a car, I want to maximize the likelihood of driving my car instead of a dealer loaner.

I have found the Audi (5 speed) interesting, but I get the feeling from the various messages that it is a car primarily for aficionados who really want to barrel down the highway or tweak the noses of BMW drivers at stop signs. Neither of these interests me. I want performance in order to do the things that I want and need to do, but performance is not an end in itself.

For those of you who care to comment, what do you think of an A4 as a practical everyday car? One Infiniti G20 owner described his or her car as fun for solitary commuting and errand running. While not complete, this describes me well. I will also use the care for occasional long distance travel and to transport a bicycle and cross country skis as necessary.

I have two other question. I have read several comments about Subarus indicating that all wheel drive really chews up tires. True? The Subaru comments also indicate that all tires have to be of almost equal circumference to avoid damaging the all wheel drive mechanisms. Assuming this to be true, does this apply to the A4?

Finally, how much time have your cars spent in the shop other than for normal maintenance and wear and tear? The NHSTA site tells me that there have been 11 recalls for Audis in the last 5 years or so.

Thanks to all for reading this.
    Judging by your " screen name", it seems that, like me, you have probably had the usual reliable Japanese cars in the past. Although I have only had my A4 for 3 months, and was very concerned about the reliability as well, the fact that I was outgrowing the point A to B scenario was quite evident, and given the fact that the A4 has three years free maintenance, I was willing to take a gamble to get out of the "toaster" rut.

To this date, I have had no problems whatsoever with the A4. The only thing I have been back to the dealer for was to adjust my windshield wipers different settings than from the factory. This car has so far proven more reliable than all of my previous Japanese cars. I have always had to bring in my other cars within the first six months for numerous things until the dealer "got it right".

As far as my commuting situation goes, I drive my car from work and back and to do errands, but I find myself not wanting to just stop there. There are many times that I take the car around the area because I just don't want to stop driving.

I understand that if I keep this car past the warranty period, it would more than likely make sense to get an extended warranty, not only for financial reasons, but for peace of mind. I would get one for any car past the warranty.

I think your best bet is visiting www.audiworld.com and going to the A4 site. There is plenty of information there to keep you busy, and to inform you of the pros and cons of this car.

It is a great car, and living in CT, the quattro will be a blessing.

Good luck!
    By the way, there are pros and cons to every car, no car is perfect, and every carmaker makes lemons. If you are realistic about that, you are halfway there. Also, Consumer Reports rates the A4 "Recommended", and "better than average" as far as reliability is concerned.
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    I have the same question as "japancarlover"
    and thanks "equalizer" for giving your point of
    view.
    I am pretty much set on an A4 when I
    trade in my Accord in the near future.
    The Accord has been bullet-proof, but I
    think I would like something different this
    time, even if that means occasional unscheduled trips to the dealer. The overall package offered by A4 for the money simply can not be beat,
    in my opinion, of course.
    The only thing that still keeps me outside
    the fence is that in case something goes wrong, I may have to wait(as I've read and been told) as much as six weeks for the right parts to become available.
    Good point about the parts situation. I haven't had to experience waiting for parts, but I know other people have. According to an "insider" on the A4 forum, Audi is addressing this issue as I write, and will add many parts distribution centers in the USA, so I would hope this would alleviate this niggling problem. BTW, according to this same "insider", Audi of America reads the A4 forum on Audiworld, so they are very interested in addressing problems that are here currently, and ones that might come up.
  • MorganConradMorganConrad Member Posts: 21
    I love my A4 Avant. But I love it for it's performance, handling, and style, *despite* one major glitch and slow parts availablility. Audis are fairly reliable, (and Quattro and the Avant make it practical) but if reliablilty and easy access to parts are really your top concerns you're probably better off with an Accord/Camry type car.
  • sbarviansbarvian Member Posts: 2
    I've been thinking about buying an A4, and was surprised to learn that Geico wants 25% more in insurance premium that what I currently pay for my 2-year-old 2-door 2-wd Explorer. I thought for sure that I'd pay less for a non-SUV with side air bags.

The difference in rates was almost entirely in the comprehensive and collision.
  • japancarloverjapancarlover Member Posts: 6
    I read in the Audi brochure that one should use premium gas for best results. Does everyone out there agree? Also, it was suggested to me that the 1.8Ts have the best reliability of the Audis. Does everyone out there agree?
  • clappingmonkeyclappingmonkey Member Posts: 7
    1.8T's have the "best" reliability of the Audis? Who told you this? In the past, the 1.8T has had frequent problems and was a major topic of conversation on the audiworld board. Even my dealer admitted that they have had problems. I was told it was a "minor" design flaw and the problem was corrected.

I would say that the 2.8 is the more reliable engine.
  • donnafitzdonnafitz Member Posts: 15
    My husband has a '99 1.8T which he (and I) absolutely love. It has 10,000 trouble-free miles, and I mean completely and totally trouble-free - not even a minor nuisance to complain about. The dealer said he could use the middle-grade of gas (89 octane), which is what he's been doing most of the time. Sometimes, he'll use premium for a few tanks and doesn't notice any difference. This car is fabulous. I'd recommend it highly. It does better in the snow and ice than our Jeep Grand Cherokee.
  • geo48geo48 Member Posts: 4
    can the A4 2.8 quattro take 89 octane?