Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation System

Comments

• mrfm001mrfm001 Member Posts: 1
    I got a Ody 2002 with navigation system. When is too cold it takes 5 to 10mins to be operational. What can I do??
  • fatjackfatjack Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2008 OEM system and same problem. If you copy your US disk and get rid of region code then insert the new disk it will show you driving around California.
  • ed1973ed1973 Member Posts: 9
    Hi did you ever get any help with this as i have the same problem,,i need to update from japanese to english.

Thanks Ed ,o i nearly forgot mine is in a 95 odyssey
  • mllrtimmllrtim Member Posts: 2
    got this message at the Dhyams page:

You don't have permission to access /~dhyams/odyssey.html on this server.
  • wiqwiq Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Odyssey with NAV.... My community is 15+ years old but did not appear in the NAV system and there was a new US Hwy 70 bypass that opened near me 1-1/2 years ago; so, I ordered the 2010 Maps disc from NAVTEQ and none of these streets/highways appear on the system.
    My Garmin GPS that I use on my motorcycle is FAR superior to the Honda system and we depend on it instead of the built-in NAV system on the Odyssey. Buying this system is like flushing your $$$ down the drain. Forget the Honda system and purchase a Garmin or other GPS system; save money and eliminate the frustration.
  • debchuckdebchuck Member Posts: 17
    Sorry to hear of your problems with Honda and Navtec. I hve a 2007 Odyssey which we really like, but the navigation system has always been a major disappointment. The only thing that compounds that issue is that Honda and Alpine and/or Navtec have no intention of repairing it or upgrading the systems already on the market. A new map disc does zero because they are based on maps older than me! So, I slap a QVC Cobra on the windshield when I want to go in unfamiliar territory and I have no problems whatsoever.

Honda is less responsive to customers than GM was a few years ago. This is my second -- and last -- Honda because of piss-poor customer relations and inferior equipment like navigation systems.

Do NOT buy a new disc. It won't do any good. Buy an aftermarket system and drive with confidence and assurance.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I've never upgraded from my '05 disc either. Every once in awhile, I sit in a new one at the dealership and test it out. Still missing a major highway that's been there for 10 years...still missing restaurants that have been there for years. The screen is nice to have and I like the integration. Generally, it will find most addresses but it's terrible to use for POI's. I also keep my Garmin handy in case I need to really get somewhere!
  • MartinWGMartinWG Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 Accord with Nav system. It can't find my house address which is 60 years old.

A recent survey asked what did I like best about the Honda Nav system? My response was that it has a nice shelf area in front of it on which my TomTom rests!
  • bhgedeonbhgedeon Member Posts: 3
    Anyone care to share their opinion on the 2010 Navigation System update? Is it truly an update and worth the cost ($149 now until 6/30/10)? Any installation problems? Thanks in advance.
    I have a 2007 Odyssey. The NAV cannot find my house that was built in the 1940s and the street name has not changed in any form in all of those years. The nearest it gets me to home is some place called Rose Street which is down the hill from me and not even used for vehicular traffic in the 25 years I have lived in this place. Yerah, boy, Honda and Navteq did a number on us. Like you, I also have a portable unit that does the trick.
  • singitloudsingitloud Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2005 Odyssey with the original GPS DVD. We would love to have ours updated, but do we really want to spend $150+ on a single DVD when people seem to talk so highly of their portable GPS systems and so low of their Honda GPS systems. These same people actually use the portable system instead of the Honda built-in system.
  • wiqwiq Member Posts: 2
    The 2010 upgrade did NOTHING for us when we upgraded our 2006 Odyssey. My 2009 Garmin is MUCH superior. The money I spend was a total WASTE.
    I have also heard of folks getting read errors and such after upgrading. Once you insert the new dvd, you can NOT go back to the old one so you'll be stuck with the glitchy new DVD. I'm sticking with this original DVD for as long as it doesn't give me troubles. It works well enough for finding routes and such, it's just horrible when it comes to POI's. I use my Blackberry to google POI's and just poke the address into the Honda nav. Worst case Mapquest will get me there.
  • beclin1beclin1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

I just ended a 36 month lease on a 2007 Honda Odyssey Ex-L - no RES
    or Nav. I was able to negotiate a fair deal on a new lease for a 2010
    EX-L with RES & Nav., so I pulled the trigger. I was on the fence about
    the Nav., especially after reading several of the comments posted here.
    In fact, I was getting so nervous I was about to bail on the deal, but
    at the last second I didn't and I've been living with the Nav. ever
    since. So, in the interest of fairness, and for the benefit of those who
    might be looking for a slightly less biased review of the Nav system in
    these vehicles, I have elected to provide the following information.

Caveat: Hopefully someone will find this useful. If you do not find it
    useful, or if you vehemently disagree - terrific, but I don't want to
    hear about it. I have lots of things on my high priority list these
    days, and responding to flames doesn't even make it into the top 500.
    Sorry.

Background: My wife is the primary driver of this vehicle. To say she is
    not technically inclined would be an understatement. Add to this three
    children under the age of five to corral and manage, and she does not
    have time to assemble, mount, or otherwise mess with anything in the car
    beyond buckling seat belts and getting the key in the ignition. We are
    also moving to an unfamiliar town in a new state in the near future. For
    these reasons my wife expressed an interest in the navigation option,
    and we elected to go for it. I consider myself to be highly technically inclined and I have extensive experience with a wide range of vehicular and personal navigation systems, including assorted
    Garmins, TomToms, Magellans, Navigons, and others. By no means am I an industry expert, but I do believe that I am more qualified than most to comment on the general adequacy of navigation systems.

Overview: When I think of vehicular GPS navigation systems, I basically
    evaluate them in three fields:
    1) Is it intuitive?
    2) Can it get me where I need to go?
    3) Bells and whistles.

In field one, I'm evaluating how easy it is for myself, or better yet
    my wife, to effectively use the darned thing. Can I enter an address
    without losing my mind? Can I figure out how to access and use important
    functions like POI icons? In the second field, I want to know a) whether
    or not this system can get me where I need to go, and b) does it get me
    where I need to go in a reasonably sound fashion? Finally, in field
    three, I only care about the bells and whistles if they are particularly
    important or engaging, or if they negatively impact the performance of
    or my interface with the system. Bearing this in mind...

1) Is it intuitive? Short answer: yes. At least it is intuitive enough
    for my wife or me to turn the car on and immediately enter an address
    without pressing too many incorrect buttons first. As with most
    technological tools on many Honda models, the Nav. system presents a
    plethora of buttons with which to bewilder users. After just a few days,
    however, my wife and I both learned how to operate this system with a
    minimum of stress. Some user awareness issues are key (for instance,
    knowing that you must omit any street modifiers like direction or type
    of road, even if this information is generally considered integral to
    the address), but so far I have not run into any instances where I could
    not enter or retrieve the information I was looking for. The touch
    screen can be a little off sometimes, but I have pretty large fingers
    and I have found this to be the case with almost any GPS I have used.
    One aspect of this GPS that I have come to particularly appreciate is
    the presence of many of the hard keys surrounding the screen. Initially
    I felt them redundant (couldn't they have just built those functions
    into the touch screen menus?), but I have since learned the benefits of
    the permanent presence of "cancel," "map," and "audio" keys. The
    bottom line is that while this interface is far from perfect, and even
    far from the pretty decent but imperfect interfaces available on many
    portable models, it gets the job done effectively.

2) Can it get me where I need to go? Short answer: Yes. This seems to be
    the place where most friction occurs when discussing this system. I am
    using the 2010 version of the software (sorry, didn't check the specific
    version number before writing this) and maps, but based on what I had
    read elsewhere, I was prepared for this system to be unable to locate my
    house and neighborhood which have now existed for 17 years. To my
    chagrin, when I initially entered my home address, the system came up
    with a blank. Once I realized that it wasn't recognizing my street
    because I was trying to type it in with a modifier (South XXX, rather
    than simply XXX), it was able to find my street and the problem was
    solved. We can argue for ages about whether it is appropriate or not for
    a mapping system to ignore street information like this. In my case, the
    "south" is not a directional modifier, but is actually a part of the
    street name, so I certainly feel that I should be able to find my street
    by starting with the letter S. Regardless of how we feel about it,
    though, this is just the way it is. If you can accept it and move on,
    then the system works fine and I find that typing in my street name
    starting with the second word is a small price to pay for integrated
    navigation. As far as directions and recognition of roads is concerned,
    I have found the system to be completely adequate. I currently live in
    New Jersey, and this system has not yet failed to recognize any address
    I throw at it. I've also entered addresses at far flung corners of the
    U.S. where I have lived in the past or where friends and relatives
    currently live, and have encountered no problems thus far. As with any
    navigation system, I sometimes find the directions counter-intuitive,
    especially when I know (or think I know) a better way to get to a
    destination, but generally navigation performance appears to be on par
    with other, stand-alone GPS systems. Where I think this system actually
    shines, however, is in satellite acquisition and route calculation time.
    I haven't run any scientific experiments, but based on anecdotal
    evidence I have never seen a GPS system lock onto satellites so fast
    or calculate a route as rapidly as this one does. The bottom line is
    that so far this system has gotten us where we need to go with a minimum
    of bone-headed moves.

COMMENTS CONTINUE IN FOLLOWING POST
  • beclin1beclin1 Member Posts: 3
    CONTINUED FROM LAST POST

3) Bells and whistles. This section is a little odd with regard to the
    factory Nav. because I can't decide whether to include things like the
    bluetooth cellular function and rear-view camera, which are only
    available with the navigation option. Suffice it to say that both are
    worth the investment. I have found the bluetooth hands free option to be highly
    functional, providing excellent speaker sound and quite reasonable
    microphone capabilities for a car-based system. The rear view camera is also quite functional, providing a decent, though by no means crystal clear, view what’s behind the vehicle. Keeping in mind that this system is intended to prevent me from running over kids, dogs, bikes, trash cans, etc., and is not intended to allow me to read the license plate of the car parked two spaces behind me, I think it serves its purpose admirably well. Zagat ratings for a large number of POIs are included in this system which appear accurate but not particularly useful unless you are picky about your food options in unfamiliar areas (I tend to prefer asking locals for suggestions over trusting ratings guides). The option to seek destinations via phone number has actually turned out to be surprisingly useful and accurate (you’d be surprised how often you end up on the road with a phone number but no address for a business). Other options include a calendar (cute but not particularly useful), audio controls (effective and better than trying to read the minute print on the stereo buttons while whipping down the road), access to imported cellular phone books for Bluetooth use (highly useful), and a clock with two background options that remind me of the flying toasters screen savers popular what, twenty years ago? I should also mention that there is a voice control option for the navigation and audio systems accessible from the steering wheel. In my experience, this system is entirely dysfunctional. Even when there aren’t three screaming children in the car to interfere with spoken commands, the system seems incapable of understanding anything my wife or I say. After a brief experimental period, we have given up on using this option, but it may be useful for people who drive alone (in a minivan?) or have particularly loud and clear diction. Finally, there is an ever-present icon button that allows you to continually display the locations of POIs of interest like gas stations, restaurants, etc. Some local favorites were missing from the POI database, but this is normal among most of the GPS systems I have used and I typically only use the POI database to determine fuel points on road trips, so I don’t consider this to be a major problem.

Conclusion: The current 2010 Honda Odyssey navigation system appears to me to be a perfectly functional, if slightly quirky, GPS navigation system. Sure, any sub-$200 stand-alone GPS will probably beat the pants off the integrated Nav. option and the graphics appear to be stolen from an Atari 2600, but the real value here (and this is why you are shelling out the big bucks for it) is in the integration with the vehicle. Any techie (including me) will gripe about the inadequacies of this system and rail against the injustice of paying ~$2000 for technology that was outclassed years ago by portable systems costing a tenth of the price. If the user is someone like my wife, however, all he or she wants is a reasonably functional system that is always ready and close at hand with the added bonus of being far less pilfer-able than a portable GPS. Throw in the bonus options of bluetooth connectivity and a rear view camera with a screen larger than a postage stamp, and you have a reasonable argument for spending the extra dough. As with any purchase, you will need to run your own cost/benefit analysis to decide whether these options are worth the extra price for you before taking the plunge, but in my case, at least, we have not regretted the extra expenditure yet.

Post Script: One last thing. A DVD-based navigation system? In the 21st century? Seriously? They couldn’t design this to use flash-based memory but instead opted to install a dedicated DVD player under the driver’s seat? This strikes me as absolutely absurd, but I’m not an engineer, so what do I know?
    Seems like a fair analysis. I think a lot of it just depends on how much some of those deficiencies annoy you. The lack of POI's and search limitations was/is my biggest complaint but with the advent of smartphones it hardly matters these days. I can google my phone to find the nearest whatever and throw the address into the nav. The mapping/road data base is sketchy in less urban areas as well. We've not attempted to use the voice activation in years. It rarely worked for us and most functions can be had by pushing one button anyway....so why bother with pushing the voice button and then arguing with the car?
  • vanguy11vanguy11 Member Posts: 3
    I agree with the above evaluation. It is a good basic system, if somewhat antiquated. For those who brought their vehicle to Europe or are planning to, we are out of luck. I wrote to the company who makes the system and was told that just buying European disks and converting them to Region 1 will not work as the operating system used in the European version is completely different from the U.S. version. Only answer is to buy a new under-seat system and have it installed. Big bucks. I bought a European TomTom for less than $300 and it works fine. (Note: If you are in the military receiving mail through an APO or FPO, be careful buying TomTom. They will not accept an APO/FPO address as a billing address therefore, you are out of luck if you want to update maps or add new maps.)
  • zblzbl Member Posts: 1
    Have had a 2010 CRV since March. Loved the idea of an integrated NAV system. I didn't like having one stuck on the dash or windshield. Now I wish I'd saved my money and kept the portable Garmin. The thing is OK if inputting an address, but places are ridiculous and that's what I use most. I live in Louisville, KY and if I put in 'Home Depot', I get one in Louisville (there are atleast 4), one in S. Indiana and then they get farther and farther away. I just figured out that if I put in 'The Home Depot', it finds the local ones. TERRIBLE software design. And the whole 'category' sorting it tries to do is maddening. It seems silly to have a protable GPS in the vehicle, but I think that's what I'm going to do. I know NAVTEQ's data is fine, it's the Honda software that is BAD!
  • bhgedeonbhgedeon Member Posts: 3
    Nicely done, and spot on for most real-world minivan drivers. Thanks for taking the time - do you review cell phones as well? ;)
  • dominicanjbdominicanjb Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    If you find that your factory navigation does not live up to your expectations, check my project and find out how I was able to hack it and add Garmin to the factory nav system.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/143899-2007-honda-odyssey-- factory-navigation.html

Dominicanjb
  • lsupremolsupremo Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Nice job. Did you ever try to simply modify the DVD software to give another Navigation software option. I was thinking in terms of something like adding
    MioPocket

which has been used on multiple handheld platforms (and even some
    Chinese aftermarket systems.

The core OS would have be WinCE for MioPocket to work. Picking up a 2010 Odyssey Touring van today, may try to read the DVD (I'm assuming the system is DVD based) and see what I can find.

The forum link above has many topics on built car navi systems, if you're interested check them out.
  • coneyislandgalconeyislandgal Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey with built in navigation and XM radio. I want to get the real time traffic on the navigation system. I ordered it almost 2 weeks ago from XM ($3.99 month). So far (with TONS of calls and re-sending the signal to the car, etc) I still don't have this installed on my car. I am wondering if there is some sort of compatibility issue? Just guessing because I have had no help from Honda or XM. I have never upgraded my navigation system. Don't know if that is necessary for the XM traffic. I hope someone can help me - I thought this would be a simple thing!
    Good luck on getting any sort of legible coherent reply from Honda national offices. They still try to tell everybody that their navigation system works fine, but many of us have learned otherwise from the get-go. Once you buy the car -- which happens to be very good -- they give you all sorts of bullcrap about how the navi system works fine. If held to the fire, they will finally admit it might need updated in some areas. But they have not updated mine in over three years of use and I still cannot get ET home. Close but no cigar. So, don't expect help from Honda,. You bought the car. That's the end of that relationship.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I highly doubt that your 6 YO navigation system would be compatible with XM traffic. Did XM confirm that it would work on your nav system? According to XM, no Honda brand cars are capable of getting XM Traffic.

http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/get_nav.xmc
  • edward2780edward2780 Member Posts: 1
    I had to pay for a Navigation system in order to get VSA in my Honda Fit .

Not to mince words, I HATE :lemon: the system.

The only thing it is consistent in, is giving incorrect or convoluted directions. It is so infuriating, that I often wish I could rip it out and throw it out the window. I am even thinking of selling the car to rid myself of the aggravation and constant reminder of this waste of money.

A main feature is also unsafe. Most of the time, the directions are accompanied by a pop up window on the map screen. Exactly, the best thing to do. Take your eyes off the road to look at the map. Especially at night or in the rain.

I recently received an offer of free shipping with the $185 purchase of an upgrade. It would just be throwing good money after bad.
    I feel your pain! My 2007 Odyssey with navigation is a fine vehicle -- if you totally discount navigation. I, too, got the notice for the upgrade but tossed it because I did not see spending almost $200 for an upgrade that still does not have maps of my area any later than about 1890 or 1900.

Navtec sure did a number of Honda on these systems, and Honda is doing a number on the buying public by selling them and telling us there is nothing they can do. Sure there is!! They can fix the things or refund some big bucks across the board.

My street address has been used for at least 135 years so you think Honda would have gotten this right. If I don't know my way back home from out of state, tough luck.
    edited November 2010
    I've ranted about my dislike of the Honda system here plenty in the past. I recently checked out the system in a 2010 to see if they had updated it with some obvious missing roads/POI's. Nope. Roads that have been there 10 years are still missing. Restaurants that have been there 30 years...nope. No reason to update as far as I can see. If there are that many missing POI's from areas I know...

I haven't checked out a 2011 system yet but someone on another forum mentioned it is no longer touchscreen? I guess it only works with a joystick or voice commands. I've never used the voice commands because they're hit/miss for the most part...so they better have improved that. Unless you like typing addresses with a JOYSTICK!!!!
  • lsupremolsupremo Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    I'm a moderator on an international GPS forum, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with what's out there. We got the Nav package in our 2010 Odyssey so my wife could get the adjustable pedals (go figure). Anyway, the graphics are pathetic relative to today's standards, and not having full TTS (Text-to-speech that includes street names, not just freeways and numbered routes) in inexcusable. The 2011 does have better graphics but it wasn't worth the extra $10k (no Costco discount on 2011'a in this area) to me. Amusingly, my wife loves the system.

The only hack I've seen is the conversion of the NAV screen into a PC monitor (there's a reference above). But with the interface module to do that costing north of $700, it's hardly worth it IMHO.

The 2011 model has a hard drive in it, and I assume that updates occur via the "normal" DVD player and not the dedicated one that comes with earlier model years. Unfortunately, the firmware (map OS) appears to be embedded in flash memory somewhere, while the map info is on the DVD. You can read the map DVD contents, but Honda/Alpine obviously went to some lengths to obfuscate it.
  • hondalover18hondalover18 Member Posts: 1
    Ihave a 2002 odyssey few days ago i noticed the system asking for the code
    i have no code i check the dash but no code is there what can i do, need help to get my code
  • igerritsenigerritsen Member Posts: 1
    How did you get on? I have just bought an Odyssey as well (2004) and am keen to fix the same problem. Can the NAV system be converted to NZ or am I going to enjoy looking at Japan for the mean time?

Cheers

Igor
  • giddyupgogiddyupgo Member Posts: 3
    We have a Honda Odyssey with the 2009 version of the navigation (GPS) system. We've found it to be almost unusable unless you already have an address for the place you're looking for. For example, if you type in "Target," knowing there's one in your area, it might tell you that the nearest one is 1,500 miles away. Or if you enter "McDonalds," it might come up with three or four different categories (American Restaurant, Fast Food Restaurant, Food Service Companies etc.) and ask you to figure out which category it belongs in, and then it still might not find one anywhere near your location. Our Garmin, on the other hand, will just search for businesses called "McDonalds" and give you a list of the closest ones.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had these problems and has upgraded to the new version ... and if so did it fix or improve these issues? Or is it just a map upgrade?
    Welcome to the Honda and Navtec world of route negotiation!! My '07 Odyssey cannot even find its own home while a QVC Cobra will do that anywhere across the whole country -- I know because I have driven coast to coast -- and even more. The upgrade Honda wants to sell you will not upgrade what you and I think it should. I've sat in 2009 and 2010 Odyssey vans and the nav still cannot find my house although I live in a city and the address has been used for about 100 years.

If you live in a major city, the thing might work a little better but don't try it in everyday average America. What to do? Honda Customer Service doesn't want to talk to you so I'd buy a QVC model where you have at least 30 days to return the thing if it does not meet expectations.

What will I do? I figure this is a major defect in the van and I live where the state protects us with good product liability assistance. My Odyssey is paid for, but when it gets close to running out of its extended warranty, I will file a lemon law complaint and let Honda deliver a new one to my driveway -- if they can find it!! If not, I will have them ship it to my PO box or meet them there.

Good luck!
  • mgroomermgroomer Member Posts: 3
    So what is the operating status of the NAV in the lastest Odyssey Model? Is the NAV still a "dog" or are improvements noted?
    The NAV in the new one seems better, but still has deficiencies. The problem mentioned above (getting a "Target" 1,500 miles away) actually can be worked around if you take certain steps. I forget the order but you have to go through the menus just right and then search "Target" and it will give you nearest first. Of course the list is still missing TONS of POI's compared to a $100 Garmin. We recently sold the Ody and bought a new Sienna Ltd with NAV and it seems to have far better POI's and routing...but you can't do much while the vehicle is in motion. I found a workaround for this as well ($300 part!!) but we're happy with it. I've had quiet a few OEM Navs and the Honda was actually better than some of the others. This version in the Sienna is far better than the one in our GX470.
    Thank you, this was quite helpful actually. After I read your post I went out and messed with the system a little and figured out how to make it work by distance. I'm quite pleased ... it took me two years but now I finally feel like the system is useful. Thanks again!
    Great Glad I could help. It does take awhile before it even remotely becomes intuitive. The next problem you'll find is that places that have been around for decades...aren't there. Of course in this day of smart phones it only takes a minute to find the address for something on your phone and then input that to the GPS. That's generally the route I go just to avoid the headache of finding something missing.
  • inquiry4inquiry4 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with the Target (getting 1500 mile away) and cannot figure out how to make it list in the closet distance. Can anyone post the instructions please? thx.
    OK, I'm going to try to tell you this from memory ... when you turn on the GPS there is an option to search by keyword and an option to search by category. Choose "category." At that point you need to narrow it down to one of the categories displayed, which usually is easy because the categories are pretty broad (shopping, restaurant etc.) but sometimes it's not real clear which category something belongs in (does a fairground belong in amusement parks or parks/recreation, for example).

Once you get the category narrowed down it will give you the option to search by keyword, then it will ask you if you want to sort by distance. Tell it to sort by distance and then it should give you the results you're looking for.

Hopefully that's correct, like I said I had to do it by memory ....

Good luck!
  • smartautosmartauto Member Posts: 5
    http//www.smartauto24.com
    http//www.smartauto24.com

http//www.autodct.com
    good
  • simplyjsimplyj Member Posts: 15
    Honda's New Navigation System: First Look
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/09/hondas-new-navigation-system.html

I bought a 2011 Crosstour this past summer, Despite being the most expensive accord yet, Honda stuck me with the older navi operating system. Does anyone know if the latest navigation DVD being sold at hondanavi.com has this latest OS?

If it does I might be tempted to buy the DVD just for the new OS.
  • sandoval2011sandoval2011 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a Honda Odyssey 2005 EXL , I left the lights on over night and the Battery died, I received a jump but now the GPS is not working. The screen reads wait 10 minutes for signal but nothing happens. Does anyone know what may be the problem?
  • pcrucianipcruciani Member Posts: 15
    My frustration is with the navigation database or the way you can use the system to find something near by. Why, when you search by name (e.g. Wal Mart) does the system return addresses/locations hundreds or thousands of miles away from your current location, yet you can enter an address (if you know the address) and the system takes you there? If you can enter an address for a Wal Mart and the system knows the location, why can't the system present you with all nearby Wal Mart locations when you inquire by "Wal Mart"? I have a portable Garmin GPS (which costs a fraction of the price of a built-in Navi system on my Odyssey) and can enter the same query ("Wal Mart") which returns results of all local Wal Marts (wal marts nearest my current location), no matter where I am in the country. The Honda Navigation system seems unable to perform this simple task. This is just one example, type in "Target" or any other store name and you will get the same results (the system will present locations hundreds or thousands of miles away from your current location when there may well be places near your current location). One of the benefits of a navigation system is not only getting directions to an address you enter but for the system to help you navigate to places nearest your location without having to know the address.
    Read through some earlier posts on this forum. I posted the instructions to get the information the way you want.
  • aneemooseaneemoose Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 Honda Odyssey with 110,000 miles. Great vehicle. The Navi system has never been updated due to never having needed the change (nor having the change!) to do so. Now that we're in a new location, can a removed disc from a newer Odyssey that IS being updated be used in the older Odyssey. (2011 to 2000) Or what can be done to accomplish an update of the 2000 without breaking the bank??? We have used the original system with great satisfaction for all these years. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • artcheeartchee Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Odyssey Touring, and wanted to update the data DVD. DON'T buy a cheap "refurbished" DVD on eBay. I tried that and it re-set my system and then failed to upload. In the process apparently shorted a circuit board. Local dealer wanted $2,648.00 to replace. Sent the DVD drive to Alpine, who repaired for $358.00. Just reinstalled, and ALL IS WELL.

Have not been using the on-board system enough to know the pros & cons. I like the large screen, and - so far - have had few problems finding destinations. I have a MAGELLAN back up stand-a-lone. The built-in also provides the back up camera, compass on dash, and correct time on clock. So far, much prefer the built-in system.
  • minnowlipsminnowlips Member Posts: 1
    Oddyssey 2011 touring does not have the latest data installed in GPS, original install during manufacture, sometime in 2010, it is now late 2012, NavTec says that there are multiple issues and there will be NO updates until late 2013. Meanwhile there are many changes to our highways, interchanges, points of interest etc. Other companys (Garmin for example) permits multiple updates per year to maps and other data. I have a letter from Honda basicly saying they are not going to do anything about the lacking data updates.
  • olpilot1olpilot1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2012 Odyssey Touring Elite in September to replace my 2005 Odyssey EX-L. The car is great, but the navigation system maps are hopelessly outdated. I recently tried to use it in Clarksville TN to find my daughter-in-law's parent's house. Their subdivision is at least 5 years old and they have lived there for over three years. According to my Honda navigation system, their entire subdivision was an"unverified area". Fortunately, I had my trusty Garmin (with lifetime map updates) which found their address immediately. My 2009 Toyota Venza navigation system has never been updated, but also found their address immediately. C'mon, Honda, you can do better!!!
    Sounds like same old same old...Nav in our '05 Ody was out of date from day one by a large margin. Roads that had been there for 10+ years were absent. We now have a '12 MDX and so far the NAV has been far better than the prior Honda and the '11 Toyota Sienna we traded for the MDX. Particularly from a POI standpoint. Although these days it's far easier to ask Siri to find something or hit up any map on a smartphone for a quick reference. The wife uses the MDX Nav a lot though and so far no complaints which is quite something. I'd be surprised if there was a big difference between the Honda and Acura systems though. Maybe that neighborhood is just an anomaly.