Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    It's doubtful that you can hurt anything by turning the car off while in D. You are unable to turn the car back on because a safety feature will defeat any attempt to start the car while in Drive. As with any Automatic Shift the shifter must be in the N or P position to enable the starter.

The device that locks the key in the ignition switch is another safety feature designed to remind the operator that the car is to be taken out of gear and placed in P before exiting the vehicle.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    We have had our 03 A4 1.8T quattro Tiptronic for about 1 1/2 years and love the car. Luxury in a small package and great for winter conditions. Gas mileage is decent, about as advertised. The 1.8T has enough power for normal sane driving. The only thing that bugs me is the combination of the turbo and automatic transmission. With an automatic transmission you are never completely sure when it will shift and with a turbo (and lag) you are never quite sure when the turbo will kick in. The result is a non-linear acceleration sequence. If you press the gas pedal briskly to get decent acceleration, you will soon have more than you desire when the turbo kicks in. If you are more restained with the gas, you end up creeping away from a stop.

Concerning "total loss" I remember being rear-ended by a BMW on the autobahn 15 years ago. I had stopped for a multi-car accident ahead of us. My car was slammed forward into the car in front; all the crumple zones worked as designed. My car was totalled, but I was unhurt. Glad to know that you did well too.
  • audifreak21audifreak21 Member Posts: 15
    I am getting rid of my frustration about the lack of power on my 2005 A4 1.8t by investing in a ECU re program. It costs $499 for the re program and $199 for a unit that allows you to switch the programing from "stock" to "performance" and vice versa. I have been told, by my dealer, that as long as the car is not in performance mode when I bring it in for service my warranty will be fine. The performance gain is tremendous: from 170hp to 209hp (with 91 octane) and from 166 ft lbs of torque to 236. I have talked to numerous Audi owners on other forums that have had no problems because of this type of tuning. The company I am going to go through has been doing this on Audi's for 13 years and has been extremely successful. The best thing about it is I do not have to change fuel injectors or the gas I use. It's purely software changes that are well within the limitations of the engine. I am really excited to do it. and if you are interested you should check out REVO Technic or APR.
  • alcatrazt2alcatrazt2 Member Posts: 70
    Hello Everyone:
    I'm glad to join this forum. Another happy Audi owner.
    I have a question regarding the break in period for the 05 Audi A4 1.8T. What are the do's and don't and what should I watch out for and for how long.
    I hope these things aren't much of a problem for now because of my daily commute:
    I drive up to 80 mph max for now.
    I don't go above 2500 R.P.M. normal driving/off stops.

Is this okay or am I being to cautious?
  • audifreak21audifreak21 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2005 1.8t A4 as well. I have 501 miles on it now and I consider the first 2000 miles the breakin period. I will admit I have pushed my new car a little, but that was just to get it out of my system and to see what the car can do. You are being good. The better you treat your car the first year you have it, the better it will treat you pocket book after the warranty is up...
  • alcatrazt2alcatrazt2 Member Posts: 70
    It looks and feels like a strong car. My 2005 Audi A4 1.8T probably saved my life today, as I was going into a tunnel which was curving into another direction (I didn't know what was going to confront me) when I suddenly saw a pile up of cares just stopped in the middle of the tunnel right after the curve!
    I had to stop my car from 80 MPH within a very close range and even though I had to jump into the turnout lane, I'm glad I stopped just in time. The 2-3 feet that it wouldn't stop, I don't think my other car would, so I consider myself very lucky, perhaps I should've applied the brakes a little sooner but I'm glad that it did what it did.
    Does anyone know if this could be harmful to my brand new car. This happened with only 350 Miles on it, and braking was applied at 80 M.P.H. and at the end, I think ABS was engaged.
    Thanks and drive safe out there.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    It potentially could be damaging to the brakes. I believe that the rotors need to be broken in (same as engine does) with "normal" driving; perhaps the 350 miles was enough.

Unless I had pulsating brakes, I'd wait till the first scheduled stop and have the mechanic take a look. I suspect they will say everything is fine.
  • pedped Member Posts: 18
    Where are you from? I'm from Jersey, can travel, and I've also had it with the performance of my 04 A4 with auto/1.8t. My daughters 96 VR6 Passat runs all over me! Is re-programing different than sending the ECU out and is the HP and Torque increased as much as sending the unit out? My dealer is chip friendly so I'm not worried about switching from stock to perfomance. Thanks for any info you can supply.
  • loujo02loujo02 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I just purchased a CPO '02 A4 1.8T Quattro. I like the car a lot but of course would like to get a bit more HP and torque out of the engine (I see others do as well). Two questions/concerns I have are:

If I get a chip or reprogram the ECU will this put excessive pressure on the engine/turbo thereby causing engine/gasket/turbo problems?

Also can someone please ease my mind re the high engine rpm's at highway speeds? At 75 mph the tach reads 3,300 or so. My previous car had overdrive so I am not used to this and didn't expect it with the 5 speed manual. I understand this is normal and it should not be a concern right?

Thanks all!
    Joe
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    I think that sounds right, because my A6 2.7T w/tip reads about 2750 rpm @ 75mph., 2900 rpm @80mph, and 3900 rpm @100 mph.
  • davkingdavking Member Posts: 51
    That's what my tach reads at 75 mph on my '01 A4 with 5 speed manual. It read 3750 at that speed on my '87 Acura Integra with 5 speed manual.
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    Could someone recommend a Quality tuner in or around Philadephia, Pa. Is 'Direct download programming' the answer to improve torque & hp?
  • swamiswami Member Posts: 3
    Everyone,

I got a quote for a '03 Audi 1.8TQuatro AWD, Sports package, Bose, 17" alloy wheels, 28750 miles, for $ 26,500 (buy) with 3.9% for 60 mths. Please give me some feedback on the amount.

thank you
  • loujo02loujo02 Member Posts: 3
    Swami,

Check out kbb.com to run the price. Doesn't sound like that bad of a price but neither a steal. To compare I got my '02 A4 1.8T quattro w/ 5 spd, 16" alloys (no sports pkg) and 22k miles a month ago for $22,250 with 2.9% for 60 months.

Joe
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is an excellent tool right here for assessing that price - start with this link: http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/2003/audi/index.html?tid=edmunds.- u.tmvmchoose.yearindexcontent..0.audi*
  • j_martj_mart Member Posts: 1
    I just moved to Washington, DC and am looking for a smaller vehicle (I currently have a 4Runner) that is more city friendly. I have heard great things about the A4 but the problem is that I'm looking to stay under $13k. Any suggestions for year and exact model combinations? Also feel free to touch base if you know anyone in Baltimore/DC area selling one. Thanks.
  • geetinggeeting Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to lease a 2005 A4 3.0 with Premium and Cold weather package, but am considering buying it as well. Is there a publicly available program for the $750 above invoice that I can use as well?

Thanks!
  • RichardPRichardP Member Posts: 3
    I have a '04 Avant w/1.8t Quattro. My gas mileage is horrific and I am considering selling the car for that very reason. Yesterday after I filled up and calculated the mileage, 11.6! I decided that I may as well get a Navigator if I am getting that kind of MPG in a small wagon. Don't get me wrong, I love the fit/finish,looks, handling. but at $2.10 for premium, it aint worth it. PS> I've checked all there is to checkand even mellowed my driving, all I can say is good luck.
  • pedped Member Posts: 18
    I think it is way too much, especially since the 06 is coming out next month. Price should be around $23,000 is certified maybe $1k more. Is it certified? good luck no matter what you decide.
  • mrtgemanmrtgeman Member Posts: 6
    Hello all. I'm a newbie on this forum and was wondering if you folks can give me some advice whether I'm getting a deal or getting "stiffed".

Here is what I'm looking at:

2004 A4 3.0 Avant Quattro, 6spd, 12k miles, Brilliant Red, Ultrasport, Premium pkg, lighting pkg (Xenon), On-star, Nav, Cold weather pkg, black leather seats, dual power seats, F&R airbags, manual sun shades, XM/Bose, Certified Audi (6yr/100k, 4yr/50k FREE maintenance and roadside assistance). So the car pretty much comes with all the goodies possible to get for it and I must add it's in "immaculate" condition.

Here is what the dealer is offering me:

51 month lease, $3k down, $487/mo ($527 incl. CA 8.25 tax), 2.26 money factor. Car is being discounted from $38k+ down to $34k+.

So, is this a good deal? Please help as I would like to grab this deal if it's good one as I am madly in-love with the car BUT only if it's a fair deal. Thanks in advance.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Dont' ask us, go over to the lease forum ("Leasing Questions? Ask here") in "Smart Shopper".

Secondly, since you asked, why do you ask? Do the math: $3,000 down (bad idea, don't put anything down when leasing) + 51 x 487 = $28k or so.

Finance charge? Average balance is something like $20, at two-and-a-quarter percent... somwhere around $2,000, talkind round numbers... so you're gonna pay $25-26k on a lease, when the cap cost is $34??? What's the point of leasing when you pay for over 2/3 of the car anyway?

My advice, worth what you pay for it, is to either BUY the darned thing and pay it off before the b2b warranty runs out -- it IS an Audi -- or have them show you something in a nice Subaru Legacy. And I won't go into the wisdom of a 51-month lease... you sure that's the right number?

Most people trade houses that often... long-term leases are a recipe for desaster for *most* people. If you think you have to lease, educate yourself on the mechanics of leasing.. it's not that compicated, but it's more involved than buying.

And keep it short and sweet (24-36 mo) and within the warranty on the time AND the miles. You wouldn't like putting new ball joints on someone else's car...

-Mathias
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Price would be OK if 2 things were changed: money down should be $0.00; and, term should be equal to or less than 39 months.

For reasons I cannot begin to imagine (other than the obvious), this deal seems destined to make you a one time only Audi owner with a bad case of the "I want out of this car" no later than 40 months from now.

Run do not walk away from this. Or -- buy the thing outright (not financed, that is).
  • jplymanjplyman Member Posts: 90
    I wanted to post a review after driving my Audi for 5 months and 6800 miles - First off I have 1.8T Q with a Six speed, prem. pkg and 17' wheels. Overall I love this car! I live in Atlatna and drive 285 everyday and this car makes my comute more fun.

The Pros:

- Great gas mileage (24.5 daily driving and 32 on long trips) - the best any of my cars rec'd before was 27

- Fun to drive - while it could you use some more pep - this car with a 6-speed is a lot of fun and the things handles like a dream - love taking the corners fast.

- Extermely comfortable - we are a family of three and fit in very nicely. I'm also 6'1 -245 and I fit very comfortably

- Great looks and clean

- German enginerring - the cockpit is elegant without adding to many things are not having everything.

- Included maintenance

- 6 Speed

- Huge trunk

Cons -

- Could have a cusion on the console wall as my leg rest against there a lot.

- Could use a little more pep - that will be done with the new engine.

If you are thinking of adding an A4 to your garage I would highly recomended it my wife and I fight over who gets to drive the car - its very nice to take it out on a very curve road and release your streess.
    I have a Delphi Roady2 and have the satelite option on my Audi - has anybody ever hooked up one of the Delphi XM devices to there radio? If so how.

Thanks in advance.
  • cicerocicero Member Posts: 51
    Check out the Aftermarket section and you will find 30 plus replies on chipping! Cicero
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    Check out this discussion:

XM & Sirius Satellite Radio

Plenty of folks who can point you in the right direction. If you look back to November's posts, there's a website listed that is extremely helpful.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• audinutaudinut Member Posts: 8
    Something's gotta be wrong with your A4. My wife drives an 04 Avant 1.8t Quattro also and she gets about 22mpg with mixed driving. In fact we took a road trip recently and got about 26mpg. I'd take it in and insist that they check into it or threaten to file a lemon law action.
  • audinutaudinut Member Posts: 8
    I'd check your pockets because I think this dealer is trying to rob you. Just look at the paper and you'll find better deals on brand new Audi's let alone one that has 12k.
  • spaghetti63spaghetti63 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a '98 A4 and I love it. But like any other young sports card minded person I would love to have more hp and torque. I have been thinking of upgrading the turbo, exhaust, and ECU.

Can anyone tell me what is a good manufacturer for these parts, or recomendations for me.

Thanks,

David
  • tsjohnsotsjohnso Member Posts: 1
    Looking to lease the A4, and wondering if those of you who have the 2005 A4 1.8 quattro feel that the car has sufficient power, or if the 3.0 is worth checking out even with the considerable msrp increase. Thanks
  • cyberpmgcyberpmg Member Posts: 83
    The answer all depends on your own personal driving habits. If you're doing mostly non-agressive driving, then the 1.8T will be good enough as it is. If you're looking for power, the 3.0 has it immediately available at low rpms.

If you're looking at performance modifications, you can get the 1.8T and then an aftermarket chip program (to update the car's ECU) to provide a cost effective solution. It's possible to spend less money with aftermarket products to raise the 1.8T to perform better than a stock 3.0. The downside is that your dealer may have issues with the modifications and may risk your warranty.
    I would also add that the 1.8T in the current A4 is sluggish when mated with the auto trans -- if you go with the auto, go with the V6.
    I have a 2004 1.8 Quattro with the six speed and it is pretty zippy especailly at higher RPM's I love the car - I agree with MarkCincinnati don't get the 1.8 with an automatic - its a dog - with the 6 its a lot of fun - can't beat it and then when the warranty is up - chip it.
    I chipped this engine in a 2000 TT coupe quattro -- chipped it to 195HP (relatively mild HP increase) -- but the chip added over 80 pound feet of torque -- an amazing difference.

I had my dealer chip it -- found three in the US, so far, that seem chip friendly.

Chip I chose was from Hoppen Motorsport, there are several other good ones. I would find the mildest chipster in the land and find the one that uses DPP (direct port programming) which means no hardware change, which retains the original Chastity Belt -- which, I have heard if determined to have been altered could be an issue for warranty repairs (on anything that can be proven to have been a result of the chip).

I've even heard of people supercharging their V6 A4's without warranty impact.

I would go with the [mild] chip on a 1.8T 6spd manual (possibly with ultrasport "S-Line") and never look back.
  • cultured_hickcultured_hick Member Posts: 10
    Just to run with that thought, I have have an '03 1.8t Quattro Tip that echoes your dismal gas mileage. I previously lived in Sacramento where I was fortunate to get 18 in the city. I got up to 26 on my drive from Sacramento to Houston, though my speeds were occasionally slightly subsonic. Now in Houston I only get 14-16 despite higher octane premium (93 vs 91 in Ca). I have tried easing up on the foot, etc with no avail. I, too, am contemplating getting something else, despite my adoration of AUDI styling.
    Be sure to check your tire pressure as tire pressure has an impact on mileage.

Mark Cin-----have you decided on a car for you and your wife yet? Cicero
    . . .my wife is officially driving her last Audi TT (her third in a row). Her soft order for a new A4 2.0T with virtually all options (and a 6spd manual) has been placed. The reason for the soft order status is the S-Line dilemma (she really likes the trim on the S-Line) -- which BTW is my dilemma too -- and the Bluetooth/Voice activation feature rumored to become available (but no one seems to know if it will come on the first batch of new A4's.)

My decision, gulp, is between 2 Audis and 2 non-Audis, but as I have stated, the dealer treatment at the Audi store gives them an advantage -- in that it would be hard to replace closing in on 30 years experience (and the treatment we receive) with one dealer if we "jumped ship" to Acura (RL) or Chrysler (300C AWD.)

So, one down, sorta, one to go. . .

I read over on the Chryco board that AWD versions of the 300C are available at some dealerships. I left my biz card with a note at the Chyrco dealer to call me when I could test drive one of them -- ". . .hello, is this thing on?"
    I was just looking at the consumer reports online edition and they now recomend A4 - it seems that quality is coming way up. I think in this post-Microsoft world we want new technology fast and we will deal with the bugs and upgrade later when the bugs are worked out.....
    Mark: More than a few of us will be surprised if you end up in an RL or 300. The S - line is great but I wonder what the point of all the power and cost of the car is if you are commuting most of the time. I think your wife is smart to really consider the 2.0 but then she and I are both barristers......grin. Let us know what you think about those other cars after you test. Cicero
  • mcmuneymcmuney Member Posts: 64
    I have a 2003 A4 and would like to add a Nav to it, but I don't want to replace my existing stock stereo in-dash 6disc system. But looking for something like the nav in the G35 (the popup kind) that I can add in a similar location. Has anyone done this already? Any suggestions? Any photos?
    I have looked through the post on using the K&N air filters and possible problem with the Audi is there a problem with using the filters?

Also, are there any other inexpensive modification that can be done to get a little more HP - I'm not ready to chip warranty and all that.

Thanks to eveyone - the posting are great!
    The air filter may give you a small boost -- it can't hurt.

It is not cheap, but you can boost the power with a new low restriction exhaust system.

You can replace the BPV's (the by pass valves, assuming this is a turbo) with sport BPV's which make the turbos spool up a bit quicker.

Within limits, another small improvement would be higher octane fuel (even +1 point would possibly improve the power slightly.)

You can get the no chip chip as the last thing you do -- this is called Direct Port Programming and no hardware change is required, no popping the seal on the engine management chip, and a normal and high performance setting can be accessed via your cruise control. Try googling or dogpiling on Audi Direct Port Programming and you should get a hit on what you need. The new pipes are the most expensive and the chip is probably about $500.

All the other tweaks are real, but are small in effect when compared with these latter two upgrades. From time to time I have run across additional bolt on goodies that can improve the hp and torque of an Audi turbo engine. The direct port programming is the most potent.
  • ploryplory Member Posts: 2
    I have recently bought a A4 Spe. Ed.(CVT; FWD)and noticed that everytime I start the engine and start driving away there a "clack" noise coming from the front of the car. This is even more evident when I start the engine, reverse and then drive away. I took the car to the Audi dealership and the service manager told me that this is part of a self-check from the ABS pump system and that I SHOULD always hear it everytime I start the engine. Curiously, some other guy who had also bought another A4 just like mine(even on the same day) was there at the dealership to "complain" of this strange noise. Although the service manager sounded very sure of what he was talking about and knew exactly what we were both talking about I still think this noise should not be heard.....although I appreciate the self-check feature. Can anybody tell me if indeed this is normal on the new A4s ??
  • jweaver1jweaver1 Member Posts: 25
    I've got an 03 A4 3.0/tiptronic with 27k miles and every time I back out of the garage I hear the "clack" sound. I hear it about 20 feet from the garage. It IS coming from the ABS and it IS normal. Enjoy your A4.
    This is normal. This is the ABS as advertised.
  • ploryplory Member Posts: 2
    great to hear! Thanks for your help
  • jkr2jkr2 Member Posts: 5
    Hello Audi experts,

I am considering leasing an A4 1.8T Special Edition AWD Automatic and was told by a salesman that it is possible to "reprogram" the vehicle's computer to make the car go faster and/or up the horsepower rating. Have you heard of anything like that and if you did, how effective is it? Does it have any "side effects" on vehicle's operation, maintenance, or reliability? Also, if anyone has done it in the past, how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance.
    Name: Chip tuning, chipping

Method: Hardware replacement, or software flashing

Cost: $500 - $700

Risks: Depends on who you talk to; minimize risk by software flashing. Main possible risk is if the dealer or AoA can prove the chip caused a problem, then THAT problem will not be covered by warranty. The risk is real and rare.

Flash programming reduces risk even more -- several companies offer a free trial flashing for 24 hours.

You can try www.goapr.com -- or do a web search and make some calls.

Impact: huge, impressive torque gains and with a modest chip HP will go up at least 15%.

I have done it, truly transforms the car.
  • jkr2jkr2 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you very much for information, markcincinnati.
    Have you had any warranty issues?