Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A4 2004 and earlier

Comments

• drc4drc4 Member Posts: 56
    I don't know all the technical aspects, but the sport suspension is a bit lower than stock, comes with 16" wheels and basically tighter handling characteristics. To me, handling differences between stock and sport on test drives were obvious and I ended up going with the sport package. I do know the sport suspension provides an excellent, comfortable ride and not even remotely stiff or harsh. The ride quality of my car continues to amaze me...as well as my passengers...for a small sport sedan. You certainly know you're driving a highly refined vehicle.
  • spike66spike66 Member Posts: 20
    I purchased my 1.8t quattro about a month ago and I have to tell you that I am more than pleased with my selection. I went w/ brilliant black,5spd, black leatherette, sport pkg, and the quattro celebration package. Everyday I get behind the wheel there's a smile on my face!
    The black and ecru looks very classy and i would recommend the leatherette since you have kids (easy to clean). I definately recommend the Bose stereo.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    I second drc4's opinions on the Sport Suspension! I noticed a definite handling improvement with the Sport Package, but on the other hand, the firmer sport suspension does not make the ride harsh whatsoever. The sport suspension still soaks up road bumps and irregularities very well; much better than, say, a Honda Prelude.

Besides providing a firmer suspension, the Sport Package also includes high-performance tires instead of all-season tires. I suspect my 16" Z-rated Dunlop tires are also a significant factor of the improved driving dynamics I notice with my Sport Package.

One update to drc4's post: As oyoung mentions in his post, all new A4's with Quattro are now fitted with 17" rims and low-profile tires when equipped with the Sport Package. This seems to be a very good deal for the driving enthusiast, since the package price goes up only about $200, and the wheels look very nice! I don't remember if the tire width stays at 205, or if it is increased to 225? The FWD models still have the same 16" rim/tire upgrade as before. Personally, I am very happy with this 16" upgrade. I would be very interested to hear what people say about the ride quality with the lower profile 17" tires? Some comfort might be sacrificed, but the enthusiast should love it!
  • oyoungoyoung Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for all of your input so far.

Okay, here's a tiny little factor, which I'm not even sure will factor in my final decision:

If I read the brochure correctly, the 2.8 comes with the wood trim, while the 1.8T gets aluminum. I kinda like the wood trim, I think it looks classier. Then again, all the photos in the brochure only show the wood trim so the aluminum might look just as nice.

I was planning on the 1.8T since I've heard it's a bit zippier, but us there really that much performance difference between the two? Then again, picking an engine based upon wood trim or not does seem to be pretty silly. Like I said, not sure this will factor that much into my final decision.

Also, has anyone have the sport package had to do much driving in snow? If so, should I be considering spare rims with snow tires? I've done that with my current Golf and it has made a difference, but I'm hoping quattro will suffice. Big difference between 4 tires and 14" wheels and 4 tires and 17" wheels!

Well, thanks again all! Can't wait to go test driving!
    The A4 w/sport susp not only rides more comfortably than a Prelude, but from my test drives it also rides noticeably better than an Accord EX V6 or a TL...unless Honda/Acura made some drastic changes to their suspensions in '01. I test drove the '00s.

oyoung:
    I love wood trim myself and at first was disappointed that it didn't come with the 1.8Ts. However, when I was test driving cars, the Audi dealer gave me a 1.8T for the weekend (the car I ended up getting) and after a while, the brushed aluminum really grew on me and seemed to better represent the sporty image of the 1.8T as opposed to the slightly "classier" image of the 2.8 with chrome window trim, wood interior trim and power leather seats. To me, the aluminum trim, along with the chrome center shift trim looks kinda retro/sporty. I love it. The wood fits the 2.8 image very well and aluminum fits the sporty image of the 1.8T (excuse me, but...) to a T. I think I just heard a rim shot. If you have to have wood, there are aftermarket kits available for the A4 but they're not cheap, although MUCH cheaper than buying a 2.8 just to get wood trim!

As for rim/tire size, I don't mind not having 17" since they'd be just that much more expensive to replace...but they do look nice.

Keep in mind the 1.8T engine is highly "tweakable" as opposed to the 2.8 engine. Chipping a 2.8 doesn't provide any worthwhile gains, but chip a 1.8T and the only place you'll see a 2.8 is in your rear view mirror.
    I don't mind not having 17" rims/tires either! I had them on my BMW. Fortunately for me, I was able to sell the BMW just before I needed to replace the tires. Replacing 225/45ZR17 tires is more expensive than the 205/55ZR16 tires on our A4's!

To be honest, I think our 16" Dunlop's handle quite well. On the other hand, the BMW sports package with the 17" rims/tires was not too harsh. I expect the A4 Quattro to also still be reasonably compliant with 17" rims.
    I agree with you that the wood trim in the A4 2.8 looks very classy. The 1.8T aluminum trim does not look as nice. In my opinion, there is no comparison. But is it worth spending thousands of dollars more to have wood trim and power seats?

My opinion is that it may have been worth it for the last couple of years, when there was still a significant performance difference between the two engines. Now that the 1.8T puts out 170hp, and peak torque is still reached at under 2000rpm, I personally don't favor the 2.8 engine. I find the current 1.8T plenty fast, and it is one of the easiest cars at providing quick spurts of acceleration for passing that car ahead of you. The 1.8T also helps reduce the weight of the A4, providing a more nimble "feel" to the car. And as drc4 mentioned, it's always easy to add a performance chip and get the horsepower up above 200hp, I believe.

If you decide you really like the wood trim and the power seats, you might want to consider waiting for the 2002 model. With that model, the V6 will be upgraded to a 3.0L engine that provides around 220hp.

If money plays a significant factor, forget about the wood trim and buy the 2001 1.8T! It may not look as nice as the 2.8, but it's interior will look MUCH nicer than any other sedan you can buy for $32K or less!

By the way, I'm no expert, but I would suspect that if you opt for the Quattro Sport Package with the 17" rims, you should probably have a second set of tires for driving through snow. The standard 15" all-season radials would probably work okay in the snow, but I doubt the low-profile performance tires would provide much of any traction on snow.
    drc4: Remember danny from post 629 and 631? I verified that he was indeed able to buy an A4 from Beaudry Motors Internet Sales department for only $300 over invoice! However, Tracy tells me that he never intended to buy an A4. He already had his sights set on a Suburu! I guess there's no accounting for tastes!
    Having owned a 4WD Subaru wagon that I drove to Anchorage, Alaska from San Diego (twice), I can honestly say that in Utah where Danny lives, a Subaru would actually be an excellent choice because of the MUCH better ground clearance...but granted, not nearly as fun or cool as an A4. I still can't believe some of the things I did with the Subaru that my A4 with sport suspension would have never survived due to its minimal ground clearance...stuff I never would have even attempted with an A4, like tackling the Alaska Hwy in the first place!
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    Does anyone have any info on this new car? When is it due, costs, etc?
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    I would go ahead and get the 1.8T. Granted I am biased as I just bought one myself in the hibiscus red with ecru Advance atmosphere, but I just didn't feel that the 2.8 justified the increased price versus the 1.8T. Oh, and this might sound peculiar, but the different atmospheres all have a slightly different aluminum trim pattern. I preferred the Advance pattern's horizontal stripes to the little stars of the Ambition.

Regarding the sport package, I agree with the other guys. It offers a marked improvement in handling with a neglegable difference in ride. Additionally, the larger wheels look really good on the car. I do wonder, however, about the treadlife of those Z-rated performance tires I have.

Anyway, I LOVE the car and that red is to die for. It's such fun having a car that not everyone else has. (I used to have an Accord.) One last comment; get the Bose if you can!

P.S. They are adjusting my brake lights; no problem.
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    Rob Funny how conversations can get "modified" as they are passed along. I currently lease a Subaru that needs to be returned this month. They are great cars, but like I told Tracy, not nearly as much fun as the German cars I've driven (owned a 325 for 7 years awhile back and the test drives in A4s). I really did want to get into an A4, but I got spoiled by the treatment I was getting from my Subaru dealer (and Subaru of America) and was just not pleased at all with the runaround from the local Audi dealers. I had basically given up when you posted your story about Beaudry Audi so I decided on one last attempt. Unfortunately, my conversation with Sean had me believing that I just came across another dealer like the ones I've been talking to, so that weekend I decided to go back to what I know best -- for now. It sounds like you're getting great service, so good for you, and in talking to Tracy, it sounded like she did want to do what she could to sell me an Audi and I appreciate that. However, I have now committed to a Subaru and I know that my dealer will be here for me and with the extra few thousand I save I can mod 'er up with my own "sports" package. By the way, if you check out my profile, I think it still says that I'm looking for an A4. When I get my new car, I'll have to change things a bit, but the A4 will still be near the top of my list. I told her I'd call her again in 2 or 3 years. I guess she didn't believe me. Hmmm... maybe we just need a recession here in Utah for the dealers to start "appreciating" potential customers a little more :-).
    By the way, I don't think there's a problem with my tastes at all. A Subaru in a downpour or heavy snow is a beatiful sight -- especially if you're behind the wheel. And I have no qualms about taking them off-road. I'm not sure I'd be able to talk myself into doing that if I was driving an A4.

Glad we're all enjoying our respective cars.

-Dan
    I agree that when your local dealers don't provide you with good service, or they don't act like they want to sell you one of their automobiles, then that helps sway you to another manufacturer providing more responsive and customer-oriented local dealers. And for your type of driving and environment, I agree you are making a very logical decision. From Tracy's viewpoint, she doesn't think you were seriously considering an A4 purchase. (From her point of view, $300 over factory invoice would be too good for a serious A4 buyer to pass up.)

To be honest, I'm not that familiar with Suburus, but I understand they are known for being quite rugged. That new WRX looks pretty hot! (except for those headlights...)

I was joking to another A4 owner when I made a comment about "tastes". Since he and I really enjoy our respective A4's, I would have made the same comment no matter which manufacturer you chose! ;-)
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    That $300 over invoice is definitely a good price. However, and I have to admit to not getting more info on this point, I don't know how much more I would have to pay to actually get the car. I could fly down ($150+?) and drive it up (+hotel, gas -- but that break-in period would sure be short! :-), or have them ship the car ($??), or perhaps some other option? Anyway, I had to consider that cost as well. Hopefully, you guys will still be posting in a few years when I'm ready for my next car :-)

-Dan
  • ripshinripshin Member Posts: 10
    I was just over at Audiworld and read through their lastest write-up on the Geneva Show. On the last page of the story are posted some beautiful pics of the new A4. I know many people are a little unsure about it, but it sure sent MY heart racing. There's one pic that's a side view in red and it looks fantastic! I can't wait to read some reviews on it, for I understand that there is some suspension work being done. With that and the new 3.0 it should be very exciting. I might just have to concede and buy one in the next year or so, even though there's no-one within 60-70 miles who could service it : )

rip
    I can't say for sure whether I will still be lurking in here a few years from now, but I bit this topic will still be alive and well. I'm betting this topic (or some other A4 topic) will gain in popularity when the new 2002 A4 sedan is introduced at the end of summer. With the future introductions of a 2-door and convertible version of the A4 (for 2003?), I see no reason why you won't be able to tune in to Town Hall for some good A4 discussions in 2-3 years! :-)
    I agree with you that the side view of the new 2002 A4 looks very good. For those wanting a V6, the new 3.0L engine should be a real winner! With the suspension improvements, I'm looking forward to seeing how well this 2002 A4 3.0 Quattro ranks against the BMW 330i.

On the other hand, I don't like the rear end of the new design as much as the existing model. I also find the interior of the new model a little boring when compared to the existing A4. However, that opinion is based on only a couple of pictures. I'm guessing I will find the new A4 very attractive once I get to see it in person.

I've seen short reviews in Automobile, Motor Trend, and Road and Track magazines. In my opinion, the review in Automobile was by far the best one. I thought it provided some of the best details, including some facts about the new suspension. (It was also the only one of the three that knew the 1.8T engine is now at 170hp instead of 150hp!) I believe it was the January 2001 issue of Automobile.

I'm sorry to hear you are over 60 miles from any Audi dealer. If I was in your situation, and assuming there are plenty of other car dealers nearby, I would probably be talking myself into something else. That's assuming I couldn't talk my wife into moving closer to the Audi dealer! ;-)
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Any luck with the rear-facing infant seat?
    mmcbride1:

We have a 2-year old Graco snap-in rear-facing infant seat. I grabbed it out of storage and quickly tried placing it in the back of our new A4.

First of all, it definitely seems to require more forward space than our toddler's forward-facing childseat that we currently have mounted behind the passenger seat. Our infant seat seemed to fit quite well in the middle of the back seat, where the front of it extended forward slightly into the gap between the two front seats. I also tried placing it on the sides of the rear seat. Our infant seat would fit on the left or right side (directly behind either front seat) only if the seat in front of it was adjusted significantly forward. For instance, when I moved the driver's seat forward enough to allow the Graco infant seat to fit directly behind it, I had very little room to breathe!

In summary, it appears that our Graco infant seat would fit just fine in the middle of the rear seat. It might also fit okay behind the passenger seat if nobody is actually riding in the front passenger seat. I'm guessing that option wouldn't be considered as much as the middle position, since I believe the middle is considered the safest location (safer from side impact collisions). The access through the rear door is kinda low, but since you don't plan on using the A4 as primary transportation of your baby, I really don't think this will be a problem.
    Thanks a lot. That was my only concern, and I think I'd rather have the kiddie in the middle, anyway. I really do appreciate it.
    Yeah, I don't know about convincing my wife to move, she pretty loves where we live. The only other option as far I can see is opening up my own Audi dealership in the area....

Funny how taste goes, one of my favorite parts is the rear, but like you, this is only based on pictures. I'll say this, every time I see an A4 on the road it reminds me just how much I love the current styling. Of course, I don't see many Audi's here. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand how many new ones I've seen around town. It seems like every other car is a bimmer or a benz(at least on the north side of town) so I definitely notice the rare Audi.

rip
  • oyoungoyoung Member Posts: 10
    Thanks to all on your advice!

Well, looks like I've pretty much decided on the 1.8T in hibiscus pearl with the Ambition/Exru interior. I saw one over the weekend with that combo and it looked pretty sharp! The only difference is that I think I am going to go for the Avant, so I guess I'll be heading over to the Station Wagon area! I also saw a white 1.8T avant with the sport pkg, very sharp. hey, if I'm gonna drive a wagon, it had at least look sharp!

Thanks again, all!
  • schwitzer1schwitzer1 Member Posts: 64
    a 2001 A4 1.8T with Brilliant Yellow, Ambition black onyx leatherette, sport, cold weather, celebration packages, and bose sound. Don't know when it will arrive.

Here's a question: onthe audiusa.com website, they have a sport exhaust system available, which they claim increases torque. How will this affect mileage?

If I chip the car, will mileage drop a lot?

Part of why I'm getting this puppy is to be able to zip around like a maniac and still get decent mileage when I go on long trips (such as my daily commute).
    You'll be turning a lot of heads with that color combo! My dealer has a yellow S4 with black interior and it definitely stands out among the rest.

I'm not familiar with Audi's sport exhaust but APR and a few other aftermarket manufacturers make various high performance exhaust systems for the A4. You can get all the info and first-hand experience you'll ever need on the AudiWorld A4 Forum. As far as I know, these systems don't noticeably affect mileage.

From the 100s of posts I've read on the AudiWorld site, chipping doesn't really affect mileage. In fact, I've read a few posts about mileage slightly increasing after chipping, which could have been more wishful thinking than anything else. Maybe it's my own wishful thinking, but since going with synthetic oil, I've noticed a very slight increase in my mileage. If your A4 is a 5 speed and non-quattro (neither was mentioned in your post), you should get fairly good mileage. Mediocre mileage is the price I pay for having quattro and tip, but tip is a necessity for me and quattro is more than worth the mileage trade-off.

I know you'll be anxiously awaiting your new ride's arrival but it'll be worth the wait. Enjoy!
  • supersprintsupersprint Member Posts: 3
    Hello all. Great group discussion here. I am the proud new owner of a "used" 2001 A4 1.8 Quattro sedan that I recently purchased at Carmax. Yes, that's right folks, Carmax -- the Walmart of the used car dealers. The car had slightly under 15K on it and was priced about 2,000 under blue book (hence the No Haggle price) --- totally about $24,500 The car has all of the most requested options except for Cold Climate Package including Xenon lamps, 6-disc DC, Sport Package, etc... The car is a blast to drive and I have wanted one ever since they I saw one in 1997. For those not knowing, Audi upped the horsepower for 2001 from 150 to 170 which increased the torque as well! I had my Audi dealer do a history on the car and all scheduled free maintainence had been done by the previous owner up to the 10K service. I ran the VIN through Carfax on the internet and the history came back clean. It appears the previous/first owner only had the car for about (7) months. Having owned VWs for the past 10 years, this is my first Audi and my absolute favorite!!

For those looking for aftermarket hi-po stuff, check out the latest issue of European Car or Max Power magazine and look for ads from TAP (total Audi performance), APR (Audi performance and Racing), Autothority and others.

For those interested in a "nused" S4 -- Carmax in Rockville, MD has one for about $39,000 with about 15K on the odometer (NO I don't work for them). If you go to Carmax.com and select make and model you can find it near the bottom.

More to follow.... Happy Motoring and High-five to those A4 owners in Maryland!!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Does anyone know where to get after market interior parts.

The area around the windows switches and handles is all scratched up(on all the doors). It looks like these parts can be changed, but I can't find ANY replacement parts on the internet.

97 2.8Q
    Try Clair Parts at 1-800-354-5100. They have a web site (www.clairparts.com), but it's best to call them since they don't post much of their Audi accessory stock online. I can't guarantee 100% they'll have what you need, but from my experience with them, they probably will. Before doing anything, check your dealer for prices on the parts you need so you'll have something to work with. I've found on a few rare occasions that my dealer could give me better prices than aftermarket distributors on some parts.

Good luck.
  • ckenedickenedi Member Posts: 16
    My wife and I were pretty gung ho about the A4 1.8t quattro w ESP, xenon and cold weather. We were shocked by the appalling manner of our salesperson and the staff at Vin Devers Audi in Toledo, OH. I had heard negative stories about the dealership, but I had no idea how rude someone who is trying to sell you a $28,000 car could be.

Even though we could have purchased it in Ann Arbor, we would have gotten service at Vin Devers. We are getting a Saab instead.

If we are out of Toledo in 2 years when my wife's VW bug lease expires, we will hopefully take another look.

Good luck to all, this was a helpful bulletin board.

Chris K
    Yes, It's amazing how some car sales people are. I've heard stories as well about Audi dealers, but luckily my Audi dealer is really high class.

When I purchased my first new car (a civic) I was amazed not only how bad the salesman ship was, but the total lack of respect they showed. You would get more respect at McDondald's drive through.

Even though I would not want to turn a car away that I wanted; I would not go to a dealer I didn't have confidence in.

Audi's are very good cars, but there are many alternatives out there, if dealers don't realize this then they will suffer.
  • 1carshopper1carshopper Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 1.8T with 450 miles and the Celebration Package. I am hearing a distracting wind noise when I travel over 40 mph. The moon roof is not leaking air. I remember sometime back one contributor also mentioned this problem. Does anyone recall what they did to solve the problem.

It sounds like someone has the back window cracked open.

I don't mean to seem lazy but there are a lot of messages in this thread.

Thanks
  • banker74banker74 Member Posts: 26
    Just got my 1.8T Quattro w/ Celebration and Quattro Sport package yesterday. I'm being VERY good about breaking it in, so I haven't driven it too hard...and I have been too giddy and happy to notice the wind noise. However, at Audiworld in their "Tech section" there is a fix. Go to http://www.audiworld.com. Across the top you'll see a line of links, one of them being Tech. Go there, and from there to Misc. Topics. There you'll see the fix. Basically this person used rubber tubing...hopefully it applies to our cars even though it appears his was a 98. We'll see, and post your results if you do it please.

Good luck, and be good to your car during break in period. From what I've heard keep it under 3,500 RPM for the first few hundred miles, and don't drive long distances at the same RPM...if you're on the freeway upshift and downshift or speed up and slow down...etc, etc. etc. Maybe you're already doing this. If not, you may want to do a search at audiworld on the subject Break-in on the A4 forum.

G'luck
    It's possible one or more of your doors is a bit out of adjustment and not providing a good seal. Over the past year or so on the AudiWorld Forum, this has been an intermittent documented problem with A4s. Mine had the wind noise banker74 mentioned and I was one of the AudiWorld members who found a fix. Other than wind noise from my sunroof (which I mentioned earlier on this forum), I noticed an unusual amount of wind noise coming from the driver side door/window area. It wasn't noticeable on the passenger side. On closer examination, there's an obvious vertical gap (about 3/8") between the window glass and mirror mount where the outside mirror mounts to the window frame. This causes a venturi-like effect at increased speeds. This gap was much tighter and nearly nonexistent on the passenger side.

For a fix, I got a roll of black self-adhesive 1/4" foam weather stripping, cut it to fit and with the window down, secured it to the inside edge of the gap on the side opposite the window. It took a few tries to get it right so the operation of the window wouldn't tear it out or bind it up, but I eventually got a good fit without being affected by the window operation and the wind noise is gone. If you get it secured right, and since the weatherstripping is black, you can't really see it. Now the only wind noise is from the sunroof, but unfortunately my dealer said there's nothing that can be done about it.

I don't know if what you're hearing is wind noise from the outside mirrors but check for gaps between your front windows and the mirror mount housings, and have your dealer check each door for proper alignment and seal. Also, are you sure all windows are closing completely? Could be an adjustment problem there as well.

Like you, little annoying things like this drive me nuts so I hope you get it figured out.
  • peeves1peeves1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '97 A4 sedan and discovered that the dealer added 3-5 qts too much oil! This was after I test drove it and nailed 6000 (albeit very briefly) to see how quick it was. The oil light came on as I was heading home and I pulled over right away. Noticed some tappet noise that was not there when I had test driven it two hours prior.

Should I back away from the car at this point (they are suitably ashamed and are going to remedy the overfill tomorrow morning).
    I only have 3days to decide if I want the car. HELP!!!!
    If I were you I'd post this question at Audiworld.com on their A4 forum - you'll get almost immediate responses from very knowledgeable people.
    You said you "just bought" the car? If the dealer is allowing a "back-out" period (which I hope you have in writing) and you really like it, I'd have the whole car checked out immediately by a reputable mechanic other than the dealer. It's well worth the money in the long run. You may be purchasing an ongoing problem, but on the other hand it may be fine.

If you do get the car, I certainly wouldn't trust that dealer to service it!!
  • peevespeeves Member Posts: 1
    I do really like the car, and at 17,700 it's a great deal. I will take your advise and have it gone over Very Thoroughly first thing tomorrow
    morning.

Thanks for your help!

"peeves"
  • paulyd244paulyd244 Member Posts: 4
    I want to buy an A4. I've wanted one since I first saw one and now I can finally afford a used one. I'm looking at a 96 2.8 quattro 5 spd and a 97 1.8t quattro 5 spd. My main concern is reliability. I looked up the rates for warranties and the 1.8t warranty is a whole hell of alot more expensive than the 2.8 warranty. I assume this is because of the turbo. I've done alot of research, but I want to hear some opinions from people who know. Both cars have around 40k or lower mileage. Which is the more reliable vehicle? Any responses would be very helpful.
    Thanks!
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I think the main thing here is how well (or how poorly) the two vehicles have been maintained. Are their service histories available? If maintained at a dealer can you check with their service department(s)? I would say that everything being equal the 2.8's engine will probably prove to be more reliable over the long run. I would certainly stay away from any 1.8's that have been chipped. If either car has any added "boy racer" modifications that's almost a sure sign that it's been driven hard.

One other point: if you can afford a '98 2.8 model the engine starting in that year was upgraded to the 5 valve 190 HP version - it's reported to be smoother and more powerful (by 20 HP, I believe) than the motor used in '96 and '97. Try to drive both and see if the difference is meaningful to you. If it is, save a bit longer and get a '98.
    Just one note on HP/performance. I believe that the 97 1.8T model year you're referencing has 150hp stock. If you get a non-chipped car, as Jbaum mentioned you should, then you may decide to chip it yourself. Go to http://www.goapr.com and you'll see that you can, with a $400 chip, upgrade the HP on the 1.8T to 200hp and upgrade the torque to 245 - both more (especially the torque) than the 2.8. If you're worried about added stress on the engine I have two comments:

1.) According to the posts at audiworld.com nobody (that I've seen) can give an instance where one of these chips were the cause of a blown engine/turbo.

2.) I believe the engine in the TT is also the 1.8T, just that it uses a slightly more "tuned" variant and a different turbo...again, people at audiworld are FANATICS and can tell you exactly.

As Jbaum said, however, I wouldn't want to buy a used chipped car as it implies the person raced it. However, the chip in itself does not necessarily mean that the car was raced. Were I to do it I would want it for freeway merging, passing, and a more powerful car in general - not for racing from each and every stoplight (though some people definitely do that).

For the money, and the newer car, I'd got w/ the 1.8T and the chip (so you get the perfomance if it's something you'd like).

Just my $.02 worth.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Re: the '98+ engines make that 30 valves or 5 valves per cylinder. The '96 and '97 model years have 12 valve engines.
    I was in the same situation.

I wanted something used, but reliable. I would have been very happy with a 1.8T(one of my favorite engines), but ended up getting a 97 2.8Q.

You can modify the 2.8 as well, though you will not get the torque rating from a modified 1.8T.

TAP has a throttle body(+8-10hp) for $295 and a K & N Cone Filter(+8hp)for $125.

These mods should get you close to 1998's hp rating of 190hp, though you would not get the TIP tranny of the 98+.

It was a good compromise for me, the 97 was a good price, and I could modify it close to 190hp for around $420 without worrying about added stress to the engine.
  • dellwelldellwell Member Posts: 27
    Hello all. I am currently in the market for a new car and have come to the conclusion that it is down to two cars, the 2001 A4 1.8t and another car I won't mention as to get on anyone's nerves!!! The question I have is whether to Quattro or not? I know that this also may irritate some Audi fans but I do not know if I need it. I have never had AWD and live in a climate were we have all four seasons and have not had any trouble with fwd cars in the snow/rain. I am looking for a car that will be quick of the line and have lots of passing power when needed. The A4 1.8t seems to have all that I am looking for plus it is a nice looking car. So, is Quattro worth the extra bucks as I understand that it will slow the car done somewhat and eats a little bit more fuel. Any info that can be passed on would be much appreciated. Cheers.
  • paulyd244paulyd244 Member Posts: 4
    Jbaumgart,Banker74 and Ivan99, thanks for the help guys , I appreciate it. Still looking for the perfect used A4. Leaning toward a 96 or 97 2.8q as I'm not really into modifying the engine. I need to drive this car for the next 5 years and don't want to put too much unnecessary strain on an engine that will most likely already have 40k miles on it. Thanks again.
  • rpm9rpm9 Member Posts: 73
    I like A4's.
  • lauk0dglauk0dg Member Posts: 563
    I just bought a 01' 1.8T Quattro 2 weeks ago. I live in Chicago, and as you know we got snow all winter long. Like yourself, I had never owned an AWD vehicle and 3 days ago we had some snow on the ground and I was eager to bring my 1.8T out for a spin. What a difference it makes.....of course it would not help in braking distance because it's still tires versus no-friction ground, and ABS works hard to let me steer the car. However, I can take off from a stop just like there is no snow on the ground. You can feel the wheels are working to find the best gripping tire(s) and give you the acceleration you need. I still haven't had the guts to take a curve with snow/ice patches on the ground at high speed and test the Quattro that way (not really recommended unless situation comes up unavoidable right?)
    Just a quick note for any who are interested. The TT225 does have the same basic 1.8T that is in the A4. I should point out, however, that it is not just "chipped engine maintenance" that produces the output of 225hp. The 225Q has twin intercoolers as opposed to the single intercooler on a regular A41.8T. Also, and I'm not positive about this, it may even have the K04 turbo. At any rate, Audi engineered some significant changes to ensure that the 1.8T could handle the extra power reliably.

rip
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Somewhere I have read that the 2002 A4 (the new body style that is) Avant will not be out in the US for at least 12 months after the late Summer 2001 Roll Out of the 2002 model year A4.

Somewhere I read that the high performance A4 -- which I assume would be an S4 -- will have 300 HP and probably NOT a Bi-Turbo like the current version. Indeed, I read it would be a V8!

Nowhere can I find -- even in the Web Rumor Pages -- if there will actually be a model year 2002 S4 brought to the United States.

Does anyone know anything -- even if it is a rumor?

I will be coming to end of lease on my current A4 V6 quattro (w/sport package) and would like to have the option to buy a new body style S4 if one is available by December of 2001. A 2002 3.0 V6 is coming, I know -- I drove one in Germany; and, if they have a sport package option available, this A4 would be sort of an "S4 lite" -- so I would certainly not be unhappy.

But, if --within 3 or 4 months of my lease situation -- there will be a new body legitimate S4, well I would like to lease one.

Thanks for your help.

Inquiring minds.
  • jbwcfpjbwcfp Member Posts: 86
    I was looking at s4's myself. My understanding is that audi will continue the s4 as is for 2002, with probably a horsepower increase, much like bmw does with thier models. I expect the new style sedan early summer, and the avant will be introduced this fall in europe, probably soon after that in the US.
    Jim W
  • schwitzer1schwitzer1 Member Posts: 64
    I ordered my a4 with the bose system, but neglected to ask for the cd changer. Is there a single cd in the dash with the bose system?

It'd suck to have no cd player at all, after all this.
    Yes, there is a one-disk in-dash CD player with the Bose stereo. You can still add the changer later.