Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 626

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I have a manual pop-up roof on my Subaru, and in fact it increased head room slightly.

Mine's an ASC roof from Adler & Mandell in Rockville, MD, if anyone cared. $300 installed, but spend another $30 on a wind deflector.

-juice
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I saw a used 1997 Mazda 626 S V6 automatic sedan with only 40K on it for $10,900. That sounds like a good price, but I am worried about the transmission's reliability. Is it any better in the V6 than in the Four? Also, does the 6 use a Ford automatic tranmission like the Four does?
  • barich1barich1 Member Posts: 143
    The 626 V6 uses a Mazda designed and built transmission. It is far better than the one in the four. There is no reason to be worried.

In addition, the 1997 was the last year for that body style, so they probably had all the bugs worked out by then.
    Hey guys, we just picked up our 2nd Mazda.

We have a '95 626 ES, V6 w/5 speed, and on Friday we bought a used '93 Miata MX-5 C package. It's pretty sweet!

-juice
  • kmascolokmascolo Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1996 mazda 626 used one year ago.I check consumer reports before purchase and it did not say anything about the a/t problem. Since the purchase I have had numberous problems. The oil sending unit went bad two months after I bought it (it had 45,000mi when I got it) then the check engine light came on. I immediately took it to the garage and they told me it was an emmission problem - that was the first code that came up - they serviced the emmission system and the light went out. Two weeks later the light came back on while driving on the interstate. Just as I got off the exit the car died. Engine running - no accelleration - you guessed it!! $2000 later and new transmission I am not happy. I am the second owner of the vehicle and I would like to know who at Mazda I can talk to to get some help with this situation. bty it has 65,000 miles now. I have just made a deal for a 2001 camry le - good bye 626 and good riddance!!!
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    Like a number of high-performance engines, the 2.5 is calibrated to give best performance with high-octane fuels. There is a knock sensor on board, so the engine will compensate for the low-suds stuff, but you won't be getting the performance you paid for.
    eddie: we gave up on premium fuel on our '95 when we had the fuel system clog up on us anyway. Now we use 87 octane and haven't noticed a difference, frankly.

Look at it this way. Octane measures not quality but the resistance to pre-ignition. That means 93 takes longer to burn than 87 octane does, by definition. If 87 ain't knocking, way pay more for slower ignition?

Karen: you shouldn't say goodbye to Mazda - say goodbye to FORD, who manufactures that failed transmission.

Look at how many Tribute/Escape owners are whining about trannies that slip and fail, already. That plus 7 recalls. Mazda shouldn't have let Ford use their tranny.

-juice
  • sail247sail247 Member Posts: 1
    Just donated my '89 626 at the 226k mark. Blew a radiator hose and toasted the head gasket - decided to give up. This was a GREAT car, on par with my '67 Catalina, and '69 VW.

I've shopped Camry (own a '95 Camry not so great) where my dealer will give me one at cost, also Nissan Honda.
    I really want another 626. The '89 had a 5 speed 4 cylinder with not much extra. Can I still find a 2000 around like that. Where would I go to look or would I just call dealers. I'm in suburban Chicago.
    After scrolling through here, I realize I'll probably only be happy with a Mazda. Anyone want ANY new Toyota except Sienna at cost. I can get you one.
    Thx.
  • linux007linux007 Member Posts: 9
    The front-wheel-drive Nextourer employs a 3.0-liter dual-overhead-camshaft V-6 with Sequential Valve Timing, which is claimed to optimize torque at low and medium engine rpm. The transmission is a toroidal-style continuously variable transmission (CVT). Unlike other CVT-style transmissions that replace the multiple gears of a conventional transmission with two variable-diameter pulleys and a drive chain, the Mazda’s toroidal variation uses input and output shafts and planetary gears — and is claimed to provide improved responsiveness and quiet operation. It operates as an automatic transmission but offers a clutchless-manual mode that allows sequential shifting my means of Formula-One-style wing-shift paddles on the steering wheel.
    The front-wheel-drive Nextourer employs a 3.0-liter dual-overhead-camshaft V-6 with Sequential Valve Timing, which is claimed to optimize torque at low and medium engine rpm. The transmission is a toroidal-style continuously variable transmission (CVT). Unlike other CVT-style transmissions that replace the multiple gears of a conventional transmission with two variable-diameter pulleys and a drive chain, the Mazda’s toroidal variation uses input and output shafts and planetary gears — and is claimed to provide improved responsiveness and quiet operation. It operates as an automatic transmission but offers a clutchless-manual mode that allows sequential shifting my means of Formula-One-style wing-shift paddles on the steering wheel.
    This should be implemented in the cars as well. I have heard of such a tranny before. It might even provide some stability in tranny complaints. Beacsue if you think about it, the tranny seams to be the ONLY major complaint that Mazda owners really have.
    Here's another solution: stop using a Ford product. ;)

-juice
    Of course, there are two issues to get around:
    • This thing will be costly at first, so if it gets installed in any Mazda production vehicles at all, it would likely be in the comparatively bucks-up Millenia.
    • There's a CVT under development at ZF Batavia in Ohio, a joint venture between Ford and ZF - and this is the plant where the CD4E is built.
    I hope they always keep the manual trannies. Always reliable, more fun, more efficient, quicker, more controllable, and cheaper to boot.

A good CVT beats an automatic, though.

-juice
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    Gee,Juice,evrything thing you said and my desire
    to be different were the reasons we purchased
    our Freeport.....Yyyee Hhha!!!
    Bryan
  • babycat99babycat99 Member Posts: 6
    I finally decided on my car purchase after driving the Sonata, thinking about the Leganza and Alero and decided on a 2000 Mazda 626 ES V6. I thought I got a great buy on the car and will pick it up tomorrow. My question is do I have to use premium gas or can I use 89 octane. I know I can't use cheap (87) but I thought 89 is acceptable. Thanks.
    We use 87 octane on our '95 V6 engine and it's fine, with no loss of power to boot.

-juice
    It's suspension-related, if I read this correctly; I haven't heard it in mine yet. (My 2000 was made 9/99.)
  • number17number17 Member Posts: 69
    Is there a site where you can actually read the TSB?? I tracked the TSB from alldata.com, and there it gives you the title and date of TSB only =(

• x0225095x0225095 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what the rebate is on a 2000 Mazda 626 ES V6? Is it $2,000?

Thanks
  • sxm1sxm1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Iam new to this site so I have posted this in couple of topics. I apologize if this is not supposed to be here.
    I am planning to buy a 97 Mazda 626 DX. It is a 4
    cylinder,has about 25K miles and no lemons on this car.Some of these posts here talk about problems with 4 cylinder auto transmissions. I plan to show this car to certified mechanic and if I buy it will probably get a 4 year/48k mile warranty on it. My question is what should I look for in this warranty, showing it to a certified mazda service agent will help or not and what else should I look for on this car. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    4 years from now, or 4 years total? The 2001s are out now, so a 1997 could already be 4 years old (i.e. no warranty).

Get coverage from this point on and make sure the auto tranny is covered. Then consider flushing the ATF anyway, and an oil cooler if you tow or put a lot of strain on the tranny.

An ounce of prevention...

-juice
    You can pay the long dollar to Alldata DIY to get the whole ball of wax, as I did for my '93 - they don't have the 2000s up yet, apparently - or you can read a brief description at NHTSA:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm

Plug in the form data, and away you go. Incidentally, you must give four-digit model years, or you get nothing for your trouble.
  • number17number17 Member Posts: 69
    Thanks! That's a much better site than the alldata.com ....

But my rattling noise seems to be coming from the rear windshield instead of from the suspension .... i guess it's not TSB related.

• brad66brad66 Member Posts: 3
    Did you have to pay any dealer fees on top of the 19, 900? that sonds like you did well .. Was it the automatic or the 5 speed ? i have been debating which one to get .. good goin on your purchase...
    Was this from the engine itself, or the passengers wailing "Are we there yet?" :)

Then again, we're witnessing a paradigm shift in automotive acceptability; Consumer Reports, proving grounds for the automobile-as-appliance mindset, said even the V6 - the V6! - was too slow. Maybe CU is hiring some hot-blooded Young Turks, or perhaps we're on the verge of an actual horsepower race. Either way, Mazda's going to have to do better than 125 hp in the LX.
  • brad66brad66 Member Posts: 3
    Is 16 ,400 a fair price for the mazda 626 v6 year 2000? I haggled down to this price and of course add on another 300 for " dealer fee' lol ( it was 400 haggled them down ) but there are no other fees involved .. so that makes about 16700 including dealer fee and hes gonna give me 3 tanks of gas lol .. I think its a good deal what
    does everyone else think? its a nice car .

P.S is it normal to pay a small dealer fee? I have read that most places charge it but should i refuse to pay it? there are no other add ons other then the 300 bucks
  • krawlingkrawling Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all the responses everyone! I ended up not getting the 93' 626, since it turns out the water pump had been replaced recently too, which got me a bit worried about how the car had been treated. However, it sounds like a 626 is definitely a viable option for us tall folks!

Ken
    Or the previous owner may have said to himself as the timing belt was being changed, "You know, it would cost next to nothing to put a new water pump in this car right now, since it requires hardly any additional labor."

Okay, I'm speculating, but it could happen. It's the advice I always give, anyway.

(Maybe this belongs in M&R, but then, as we all know, M&R is presenting some major difficulties for some of us.)
    After rebate, I paid about $15,300 for a four-cylinder '00 626, so $1100 extra for the V6 doesn't sound too bad to me.

I paid a "closing fee" of forty-nine bucks, which is probably as low as these things are likely to go; I suppose I could have tried to talk them out of it, but this would have contravened the spirit of "no-haggle". :)
    My next research area,here in westcentral IL,will be
    the mpgs while the defroster/compressor is running.
    So why is it that these two units operate at the
    same time?This will be the first full blown winter
    for us and the Freeport Rocket.At 10.6K we could'nt
    be more happy.Someday I'll be posting with XXXK
    worth of mileage and hope I'm still a very happy
    motorist! Thumbs Up Bryan
    Actually, it's to your advantage; what causes frost is water vapor in the air, and air conditioning removes water vapor from the air. The defroster, therefore, will be more efficient at clearing the glass with the A/C running.
  • wjm1wjm1 Member Posts: 33
    I'm trying to find any aftermarket center console that will fit in my 94 626. Not a bit of progress so far. Any advice ?
    (I'm just sick of the cupholders - they are a joke in my opinion and I wold love some armrest as well)
    And if you have the same cupholders that I had in the '93, covering them up with plastic would be doing them a kindness. (The 2000 is much better, but I cannot in good conscience recommend that someone trade just to get better cupholders.)
    The Lone Prairie got a whole passel of sleet and stuff this week, so I got to test my '00 626 LX under conditions that wouldn't impress anyone from Minnesota but which are quite horrid nonetheless, and so far, she's passing with flying colors. Of course, this could be helped by her, um, modest acceleration curve, which makes it harder to get into serious trouble. Still, apart from that first pre-dawn outing on fresh snow, in which I got to plow a few ess-curves, she hasn't slipped once, so let's hear it for the girl, and for her Bridgestone Turanzas, which did better than I expected under the circumstances.

(Side note: I subjected this thing to the resident spell-checker, and got results that can only be described as risible. "LX", it insisted, ought to be "DX", and you don't want to know what it did with "ess-curve".)
    Oops hit the enter instead of tab. The stuff Charles was playing in,
    landed here as awhite blanket.I too am pleased with the Bridgestones
    but still need some more practice with the power curve...YeeeHaaa!I
    have yet to venture out into the aftermath of street clearing which
    includes(a substance I think was the idea of bodyshops)rocksalt.I saw
    the undercoating the boys in FlatRock MI applied but I'm still a little
    concerned. wjm1: we built up and covered the head rest restraint and arm rest 3" and its sweet. Charles: You did'nt waste time trying to
    explain they don't do the DX no more...no..I didn't think so.
    We don't need no stinkin' DX. :)

Actually, for the amount of showroom traffic they were likely to deliver, which is Not Much, it was just as well that Mazda dropped them. Most people were buying at least LX trim anyway.

(Side note: The dealer selling my old 626 has it listed as a DX on the dealership sites and as an LX on GetAuto.com. It's an LX.)
  • mazda626ownermazda626owner Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I recently bought a 1999 Mazda 626 from the Hertz car sales. It is in great condition but I have a small problem. The Hertz guys buy directly from the factory and they have never programmed the keyless entry modules that come with the car. They have given me 2 brand new keyless entry modules and a flow-chart with instructions on how to program the keyless entry modules but no matter how many times I try to read and try, it does'nt seem to work. Has someone else gone thru the same experience, if yes or if you know anything about programming the keyless entry modules for the 1999 Mazda 626 LX, I am interested in hearing it.

Thanks in advance
    /mazda626owner
    I've never seen a procedure for that anywhere. Assuming the system is functional, it might be easier to pay a Mazda dealer the forty bucks or so and be done with it.

If they gave you a handout on how to do this, I'd really like to see it.
  • mazda626ownermazda626owner Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, the Hertz folks gave me a nice flowchart which has a relatively precise set of instructions and I just followed them verbatim (I think ) and it would not work. It is an interesting procedure and I just wanted to try it out. Well, I'll just take it to the dealer and have them fix it. I have a hard copy of the flow-chart, if you have a fax, i could send it over.
    We're making history here(most snow in Dec)by
    thrashing the 1887 record by a coupla inches.
    I'm getting better with the power curve and
    luvin' every minute!I had a set of stainless
    steel mud flaps made,attached with ss hardware
    and they looked sweet.I'm bummed now after
    noticing rust stains on the flaps.What could
    it be?? Body clips are made of steel!!!
    Back to the drawing board.
  • ohiogoodguysohiogoodguys Member Posts: 19
    I own a Honda CR-V so I spend most of my time there but need your help on a 626 that my father is buying. It is a 1999 Mazda 626 ES 4-cyl with a moonroof and leather it has the cd/cassette and all the other es goodies such as the PW/locks/Cruse Tilt. The car has 41K on it and it is in Great Shape. I saw this vehicle. This was a early lease turn in and was well taken care of He has put down a deposit and will probally pic it up Monday.
    The price is $13,400 and they are also giving him a good value for the trade. What do you all think of this vehicle. THe color is driftwood/tan leather which is spotless

Thanks
    Jack
    Of course, my "What would have led someone to terminate a lease early?" buzzer goes off, even knowing there's 41k on the car.

Would someone please pull the dipstick on the automatic transmission (you can't get ES trim with a four-cylinder and the stick) and see what the fluid looks like?
  • dekicadekica Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where can I find a Torque and HP curve graph for mazdas 2.5L V6 engine? Thanks
    Dejan
    Our mechanic has been changing the oil at 3000mls
    and making visual inspections on the Freeport.If
    we take this to the Mazda dealer(40mls away)will
    they make any internal diagnostic tests that our
    trusted tech is not set up for or will those come
    later with more mileage?
    Much later. The first significant service is at 30k miles, and even that is minor compared to the 60k mile service (the first major one).

Keep receipts.

-juice
  • bythenbrs1bythenbrs1 Member Posts: 1
    A local dealer will sell me his 2001 626 demo vehicle with 4,000+ miles for $100.00 over invoice. I haven't purchased a "new" car in many, many years, but this doesn't seem correct given the amount of use/depreciation on this vehicle.

I'm sure if I bought a 2001 vehicle and ran up 4,000 miles and tried to turn it back in that they wouldn't give me invoice plus $100.00. HElP!! What would be a fair, reasonable discount for the amount of miles this dealer demo has??
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    There is currently a $1500 rebate on 626 for 2001 model.

For a "new" (5-250 miles) 626 I would start by offering 1225 under invoice. With the 4000 miles the demo has I would remove at least $1,000 additional dollars so take $2250 off of the invoice.

$100 OVER the invoice for a 4,000 mile car is a terrible deal for you.

Remember that the 4,000 miles that are on the car are the most valuable miles that the car can be driven, they are the new car miles that people pay a premium for.

Just FYI, 2000 626's for sale with 12K or less miles were selling for 12,500 to 16,000 and average of 14,500 in my area.

Check out the pricing service on edmunds and take a look at carsdirect.com for some relevant information on what you should pay for new 626.
  • john1726john1726 Member Posts: 37
    How much will they charge you for a non demo? It depends on the market. If area dealers are selling "new" ones for $1000.00 over invoice and the demo is 100.00 over, then you are getting a good deal. If they will sell a "new" one for the same 100.00, then it is not a good deal. You need to be able to compare it to something in YOUR market area.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    A good deal on 626 will be less than invoice anywhere in the US market.
    Use the internet and do some research on cost of 626. Check out the smart shopper forum on edmunds.

Question for john1726: Are you in the car sales business? I used to be and IMHO only someone who who is would say that a $900 difference on a 4000 mile demo would be a good deal in any market.

bythenbrs1 Be aware that if you are shopping against say a Accord or Camry that the 626 should be discounted much more than it's competitors.
    Buy new - that demo is not being discounted at all!

-juice