Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey GPS Navigation System

Comments

• jimblockjimblock Member Posts: 62
    Although I haven't yet purchased the new DB for my 2000 Odyssey, I do have the newer DB in my 2004 Acura TSX. Here's my attempt to explain it. (The manual or supplement may do a better job).

Basically, unverified routing means going through areas that are mapped but that NaviTech (the company that does the maps for Honda, Acura and many other companies) have not physically visited.

NaviTech physically verifies the roads by sending out drivers to report the actual road details. That is one reason why the DB has only contained major metropolitan areas. To add the rest of the US quickly, they have added unverfied roads, that they have not checked themselves. Therefore they don't know whether left turns are allowed at intersections, may not know one way streets, etc. (And the road may have changed since the map they used was made). Nonetheless it is a great improvement over the old coverage.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Thanks for the explanation.

So in other words, if you use unverified routing, it may lead you into a "Wrong Way" one-way street?

Can we assume that this new disc is pretty much the same as the Acura disc, except that the Acura (and Honda Accord) has voice recognition?
    Both have 7 million POI.

Has anyone used this unverified routing and had a bad experience ? Like getting lost?
    I suppose that the Unverified routing might "suggest" a one-way street (wrong way), but that is why Honda/Acura strongly suggest you review any Unverified rountings.

On the other hand, even if NaviTech did not personally verify the routes, they did make use of existing information, which should be fairly accurate -- just not as acurate as doing their own survey.

As far as I know the Databases used in the two systems are the same, although the software (including Voice Recognition) is different. In fact, the new database is actually newer than the one in my 2004 TSX (which was manufactured in June 2003 and has a database current only to 7/30/2002. The latest TSXs have the newer DB.
    Awesome info. Thanks.
    Good to know that my $191 went towards the latest update NAV.
    When I bought the 2003 Ody, it was badly outdated, which stinks.
    It doesn't sound right buying a 2004 model, but not getting the most up to date version.
    It doesn't sound right buying a 2003 car and having to already update the NAV.

But now I am happy with the new NAV.

Thanks again for your input.
    I can't seem to save anything on the personal address book with the new disc. Anybody has this problem?
  • jameshu88jameshu88 Member Posts: 3
    Your problem is one of many problems other owners of the new disc are having. From what I hear, Honda/Alpine has stopped the shipments of the new disc, and they will send out patches to whom already had the them. You may want to call Honda to get more info.
    Yeah, I have called Honda. They said the same thing. They said Late January is the expected date for the "patch" disc.
  • kimberr1kimberr1 Member Posts: 1
    One year ago we purchased our new 2003 Honda Odyssey with the Navigation System. It was even then sorely out-of-date! It took us to dead ends, closed-down malls, and museums that were no longer there. It didn't have a new mall that had been in place for almost 2 years. Several streets and subdivisions were missing entirely. The GPS certainly gave us the run around and now Honda is giving us the run around.

American Honda said that in the Fall there would be a new version that we could purchase for $50. I think I shouldn't have to pay an extra $50 for a $1500 system that wasn't up to par in the first place.

They gave me the phone number of the makers of the Navigation System who hung up on me twice trying to transfer me back to American Honda. They said the new system 2.11B costs $185!

American Honda told me to call our local dealership. The sales mgr there said he has no problem with his 2004 model and he couldn't do anything for me but to recommend that I call American Honda again.

The case is pending so I will update later. But for an expensive gadget, the navigation system certainly does not do what it is supposed to do!
    Yeah, those greedy bastards! I think most of them are like that. I bought a 2003 Ody w/NAV too, and it is outdated. The new NAV disc is better, but yeah, it costs $185 plus $6 s/h. It has some bugs.
    It's weird. Sometimes I can't save any new addresses, but sometimes I can. Sometimes you can't get pass a certain screen, but then it works again after you turn it on and off. Those damn bugs.
    Yeah, I think an update disc should be no more than $50, not $185.
    I guess they figured if you have enough money to buy the Ody w/Nav, you have enough money to waste on future updates.
    Overall, I think the NAV works fine for me, except for those construction sites and new streets. But like they say, you can't rely 100% on the NAV. You have to use a little judgement calls too.
    But, if you make the wrong turn, the NAV knows.
    But yeah, it can be frustrating sometimes.
    Sometimes it picks a route that I think is stupid. However, it can get you eventually to your destination.
    I would say it's better than nothing and it works well most of the time.
    I still would get a NAV system on all my vehicles in the future.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    is to be like my friend and don't update every year. Every other year might be fine, but he has never updated his 2001 disc in his 2001 Odyssey EX.
    I don't have a NAV system, but sorely miss it when I had the chance to buy a 2001 with a NAV but waited until 2002 to buy an Odyssey and bought the base EX model. (cloth, no NAV)
    Most streets don't change completely even when they do change, so most NAV will work even after 10 years. However, the POI will most likely be way off. For example, in the 2003 Ody NAV, the Wal-Marts around my area did not even show up as POI. Now all the stores around my house show up on POI.
    So the streets may not change, but the POI will.
    If you don't care for POI and just care about getting close to a destination, you could always use nearby intersections and the NAV should get you there.
    Yeah, I did not HAVE to guy the updated disc, but it was just fun to. Even I will have to admit that NAV is a "toy". But even so, I feel 100% confident that I will never get lost with it--even with an outdated 2003 NAV disc.
    he just uses the NAV to get where he needs to go- I doubt he'll ever use the POI feature.
  • kphkph Member Posts: 40
    <Bump>

Reading this group, it appears that last fall a buggy 2003 update to the non-voice Navi software was issued, with a promise of a fix by about now.

As the owner of a 2000 Odyssey with the original DVD in it, I was planning to upgrade it this year, but was hoping to hear about this update before moving.

Any word out there??

TIA
    No words yet, but I'm planning on calling them back again soon. The lady I spoke with said it would be ready by late Jan. or early Feb.
    Just got this e-mail:

Dear Andrew

Thank you very much for purchasing the [Honda/Acura] Navigation System Updated Disc version 2.11B. We apologize if you&#146;ve experienced a problem using this disc. A special CD disc is being sent to you via US Mail at no charge that we believe will correct these issues.

The CD is to correct certain operational functions of the navigation program. It does not contain any additional map coverage or Points of Interest (POI) data. Please read the instructions that come with the disc, as this will explain in detail what software issues were addressed.

We thank you for your patience as we&#146;ve worked through this situation. Please do not respond to this e-mail as it is a read-only service. If you have any questions please contact us at: hondanavidiscs@alpine-usa.com or 888-291-4675 option 2
    Installed the patch disc.
    Drove my Ody over the weekend.
    NAV seems to be working just fine.
  • paulmlacpaulmlac Member Posts: 27
    I'm looking at a new Ody with Nav. From reading the messages above, it looks like an updated disc just came out. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the car would come with the newest disc? For instance, does the dealer install the most recently available disc during delivery? Or would I have to push to get this included? It seems like I should get the latest disc given that my car purchase date would be after the disc release date...

Thanks!
    According to the Honda people selling the new updated NAV disc, the 2004 Odyssey does have the updated disc.
    However, the question is, since the updated disc contains bugs and required the "patch" disc, will the 04 ody also require the patch disc. If so, you need to make sure on the contract that Honda will give you the patch disc for free.
    I would make them put down on contract that you are getting the latest updated Nav disc plus the "patch" disc.
    If you are buying a 2004 model instead of waiting for the new 2005 model, you better be getting no less than $3K off MSRP! Plus, if I were you, I would demand on CONTRACT that they install the factory DVD for $1,500---that is if you wanted DVD player. Otherwise, they will charge you $2K plus tax if they do it afterwards.
  • nit2nit2 Member Posts: 40
    I bought mine Jan 2004 w/NAV.
  • paulmlacpaulmlac Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the good info re: the patch disc. I'll look out for that.

We actually don't want the DVD. We have a portable one that runs off the cigarette lighter. While it's not as convenient as the installed one, it also prevents having to tell our 3 year old no (several times) to watching a movie on the 10 minute ride to the grocery store. Can't watch a movie if there's no player in the car...

Thanks again.
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    I opted for the Navi but not the installed DVD when I bought my 2000 Odyssey and boy am I glad I did. My kids (now 4 and 3) are just now ready for "entertainment" on longer trips. There are plenty of good portable DVD player available. I think the best reason to go portable instead of built in is that you can take the unit with you. You can use it on an airplane, in the cabin or where ever. Not to mention the Honda unit is overpriced. I recommend the built in Nav as opposed to aftermarket but aftermarket DVD as opposed to built in.
    Mike734: I think you are right on the money on buying factory-installed vs aftermarket.
    -Would you mind listing some of the makes and models that merit consideration and do any of them come with wireless headphones.
    -Some of these portables sling around the front seats and I am worried that they may deactivate the side airbags.
    -BTW, how does one tell if you have the latest patches for the NAV?
    TIA
    It's kind of hard to tell because the "bugs" were few.
    Examples include:
    1) Some destinations being on the wrong side of the road
    2) Could not save addresses in the address book
    3) Some screens freezing up and you have to press cancel to get out
    4) Could not access previous address sometimes

They said the patch disc would be available at the end of January or Februay. I got mine in February so I don't know if your January Ody had the patch disc yet. But I guess if you don't encounter any of those "bugs", then it's okay.
    So are I haven't come across any of the bugs, but I am going to try to save addresses into the address book because I haven't had an occassion to try that feature out yet.
    Thanks for sharing the info.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    My 2001 came with 2.02c version. I got the notice from Honda the other day, and decided to buy it. Recently I visited Lake Tahoe, and found some changes near 267 and I-80. Last year, many vehicles follow my Odyssey to I-80 on the new road because I could see I-80 from my NAVI (they couldn't know where it leads to). That was a great moment to have a GPS.

Anyhow, the installation was a piece of cake, and it works fine. The new POI and many new detailed "un-verified routes" are great. I would say the $190 or so spent was well worth the money.

Personally, I would only upgrade when I see the need. That depends on your zoaming area of course.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Correction: 2001 Ody came with 2.03 version.

Had a chance to use NAVI today. Wow, the 2.11c has a different voice! It is a lower-pitch, more native English voice rather than the original voice which sounds like English spoken by a Japanese lady. Non-offense to the latter. My family enjoy the new voice. It is attractive.

One cons, though. The system seems a bit slower, but not too much.
    I just received the new 2.11c navi disc. After installation I am unable to access my Personnel data base. The pin number has changed. Does anyone remember the default? Is there a fix?
    HELP!
  • cardudecardude Member Posts: 11
    Hmmm, are you talking about the address book?
    My personal data did not change when I installed the new disc.
    I think everyone has a different PIN.
    There are two users on the address book, and you have to select the correct one.
    Yeah, the personal address book. I know there are two users and I have only pin protected one. I use 9 as the pin because it is close to the done button and easy to enter. After updating, I could not access the address book using any pin number. However, I call the DVD update people and they gave me the fix. I entered the setup screen and used the "power loss/anti-theft" password to reset my personal password. Problem solved.
  • phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    I am looking at a 2004 EX-L with Navigation. Is it worth having? I had a sales rep tell me it wasn't a very good system. I plan to put in an after market RES because I want a bigger screen, so that's why I'd prefer the Navi.
    I am curious if the 04 CD is improved over some of the comments I have been reading.
    Thanks-
    PNC
  • madijomadijo Member Posts: 30
    I own a 2003 w/nav and love it. I bought mine used and updated the disc to the newest one available. I have gone on several trips and can't praise it enough. While it is not as detailed as the one Lexus offers I think it's great. I think your salesman is just ignorant on it's many uses.
    I agree that the salesman is ignorant. He probably does not have a navi available in the guys color or something like that. He will say anything to make the sale TODAY. A built-in is far better for several reasons. Namely, anit-theft, stereo integration, resale value, appearance, warrantee..The list goes on.
  • brian7brian7 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 01 Odyssey yesterday and the Navigation system is asking for an entry code. The car was purchased on auction and was a salvage car. The gentleman who bought it for me on auction put a new stereo in it but it reset the navigation system and I can't seem to get it to work. Also the SRS light went on when he replaced it. Any suggestions or solutions
    You will need the serial number off the navi unit. The dealer can give you the anti-theft code. They may charge about $20 however.
  • madijomadijo Member Posts: 30
    Still love the nav. Love Love Love Love Love it. Sorry just wanted to bring this discussion up to date. If you are in the Real Estate business I can not imagine not having this option. It shows not only how to get to your destination but your proximity to schools, rivers, lakes, some ponds, railroad tracks, major highways airports and most all other points of interest in most towns.
    I love it too, man.
    I cannot imagine buying another vehicle without at least a touch-screen NAV, if not the new voice-activated one.
    I just love taking road trips because of the NAV. I just cannot get lost because of the NAV.

But I had a scary dream last night.
    I had a dream in which the NAV would not pick up any signals! It was horrible. I was in state of panic. What a nightmare! But then, it picked up signal and started working again. Man, that was close.

But really, NAV is great. Gotta have NAV.

I was thinking about getting a Lincoln Navigator with NAV. Hey, that sounds kind of poetic.
    The Navigator with the voice-activated Navigation System. What kind of Navigator would it be if it did not have NAV? The Navigator must have NAV.

I think I'm going crazy with NAV. Geez, thanks a lot, man!
  • blueberrytedblueberryted Member Posts: 4
    Purschased my Ody 2000 with Navigator. Have used it extensively for 4 years. I cannot imagine not having it. When I drive the Ody, I never get lost, I always find my way to where I am going, with some great short cuts. No matter where we are, no matter when, we just punch in home address and we drive back. When I drive our other cars, I take wrong roads, get lost, waste hours, etc, etc. Nav is crucial. Will buy another car this year, and it has to have Nav, or I won't look at it. Worth every penny !!!
  • graystricklandgraystrickland Member Posts: 51
    Q. -- Does the '05 Odyssey navigation system have it's own dvd drive hidden somewhere for its dvd data disc? Or does it share the dvd drive that the entertainment system uses?

Q. -- If the navigation and entertainment systems *share* a dvd drive, what can the navigation system do *without* the data disc in the drive? (e.g. some, but not all data is avail with or without the disc inserted?).

I've ordered an '05 Odyssey XLS with Navigation, but my dealer doesn't have one with nav. to show me. I'd give up my deposit and buy a Sienna if I can't use navigation *and* let the kids watch movies simultaneously. I posted a similar question on the Consumer Reports discussion board and the lone responder said that he *believed* that there was a separate, hidden dvd data drive somewhere so that you could use 100% of the navigation functions while watching a movie (no compromises), but he wasn't sure.
  • hondainternetshondainternets Member Posts: 2
    No the DVD system is under the passenger seat. Honda does not offer a XLS model?? EXL with navigation and DVD. You will love the navigation system.
  • alexmishalexmish Member Posts: 47
    Quote: "No the DVD system is under the passenger seat"

Q: How about the Touring trim? Touring uses premium audio system, which comes with a subwoofer under the passenger seat. I saw it there myself. Therefore, where would Honda stick the NAVI DVD unit on the Touring models ???

Maybe on the EX-L it is still under the passenger seat. Did YOU see it or are you still giving us info from the prev. year models ?
  • alexmishalexmish Member Posts: 47
    I spoke to the Honda customer service today. In the 05 Ody, the DVD reader/gyro etc are located under the driver's seat (because the under-the-passenger seat place is taken by the subwoofer on the Touring). Also, NAVI and RES can be operated simultaneously.
  • lakeratlakerat Member Posts: 17
    Im not talking about the song but the hosing that Honda gave us seniors on the 05 Ody this year. Last years Ody you could get NAV without RES this year Honda in an effort to sell more RES tied their hot selling state of the art NAV to the RES so if you want NAV you have to take RES as well. The RES is mainly used by van owners with children BUT many of us seniors do not have children riding with us except when we baby sit our grandchildren and we have to go out with them. We need navigation more because as we get older we begin to forget more and with navigation we would not get lost or forget our directions
    Some of us don't want the RES system. But I think Honda saw that not many NAV only Odysseys were sold, so they just paired them off and forced the small minority of us that want just the navigation system to buy leather and the RES just to get the NAV.
  • jaylardjaylard Member Posts: 8
    I originally posted this question in the general GPS/Navigation System forum, but this Odyssey-oriented forum is a more appropriate place to ask:

GPS technology is still evolving and improving, and OEM navigation systems sold in new cars seem to carry a hefty premium. I am about to purchase a 2005 Honda Odyssey, and am weighing the value of purchasing a model which includes the factory-installed Honda navigation system.

I know that Honda sells map updates for its navigation systems (which I gather are produced by Alpine Electronics), so presumably that aspect of the navigation system can be maintained into the future. But does Honda ever provide updates to the navigation software or firmware?

Also, what about the longevity of the navigation unit itself -- how long do these factory-installed units typically last? And if they break, how much do they typically cost to repair or replace?

Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks.
    I have a 2000 Odyssey and an 2004 Acura TSX, both with the NAV systems. The Odyssey is over 5 years old, and the Nav system works fine. I updated the map once, and that included some minor software upgrades as well. It works as well now as it did in 1999 when I got it. That being said, the 2004 TSX has a bigger screen, nicer user interface, and audio recognigtion. (It is similar to, but not identical with the system in the 2005 Odyssey.)

I would not worry about obsolescence. Newer models will have more features, but the one you buy should work fine. I can't speak of long term reliability -- as I said I've had one for 5 years with no problems. It is possible that something will fail eventually, but as it is essentially a computer, most computers fail in their early days. Repair would be expensive. Honda does not, to my knowledge, repair them in the field. Under warranty, they replace them; after warranty I expect it would be quite expensive, if needed. (That's one of the reasons I bought 7-year HondaCare, which does cover NAV.)

If you want or need Navigation, the built in system is the best way to go, in my opinion. The add-ons are not as convenient and don't have all the features that the built-in does.

I wouldn't buy another car without a NAV system, but each person has to decide that for him or herself.
  • jaylardjaylard Member Posts: 8
    jimblock,

I have a 2000 Odyssey and an 2004 Acura TSX, both with the NAV systems. The Odyssey is over 5 years old, and the Nav system works fine.

Thanks for the feedback -- that's what I was looking for. Would also be interested in feedback from others.

-jaylard
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    My parents just got rid of a '99 RL. They used the Nav extensively.

I refuse to buy a car without one, and so do they.
  • jmatthewsjmatthews Member Posts: 10
    Is anybody aware of a knowledge base anywhere out there to "fix" some of the annoying things on the NAV? How about these ideas:

1. Is there anyway to program around the "OK" screen when you start up?

2. Is there anyway to make a movie DVD play on the ront screen?

3. Is there anway to get the NAV to do anything cool that is not commonly known?

4. Is there anway to play a dvd in the rear and listen to XM radio in the front? (Book says no)
  • pazbienpazbien Member Posts: 11
    To Answer your questions:

1)I believe there isn't because of the "Safety warning" issued on the screen.

2)No 2005 NAV system's will play DVD's in the front screen for one simple reason:

safety, that's what car makers believe

3)"Cool Like What" give examples

4)Yes, shut off back speaker, make back passengers use head phones, and turn XM in front!

To answer other question's I've seen:

yes, you can play a DVD and still use the Navigation system.....

hope your questions are resolved.