Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    Only thing I can think of would be what fluid they used. Being Jiffy Lube, I imagine it's fairly cheap stuff. Did they use Mercon 5 synthetic? The 4R70W transmission really doesn't like any other kind. If all else fails, and Jiffy Lube won't stand behind their work, you may have to pony up the pounds to get some other place to put the right fluid in.
  • 427435427435 Member Posts: 86
    My guess is they used the wrong oil. However, there's also a little grommet/seal on the end of the filter that will stick in the valve body when the old filter is removed. The new filter has a new grommet/seal on it and if it's pushed in without removing the old one, there could be problems too.

I would get Jiffy-lube to change the oil again and take a look at the barrel/cans of the oil they put in to see if it matches Merc specs. Then check the filter at same time. If they won't, get someone else change the oil. Who ever changes the oil, be sure they drain the converter and use at least 11-12 quarts of new oil. If you have to have someone else change it and problem goes away, threaten Jiffy-lube with small claims court if they don't reinburse you.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    My taxi's owner has never changed the fluid in this '98 P71 Crown Vic I'm driving now. The transmission has 108K on it (replaced at 71,760). The transmission shudders, but never slips, never falters. I think it is a torque converter problem, seems to shudder when going in or out of lockup unless I feather the accelerator. Buildup of sludge in the converter? Bent fins in the converter? Whatever it is, it's annoying, but until the transmisson starts slipping, he's not going to replace it or the fluid in it. He said the two cars he did replace the fluid, he used the synthetic stuff, and those cars had transmission failures within 10K of the fluid change. He won't change the fluid unless he's got the transmission in a thousand pieces doing a rebuild.
  • mrfmrf Member Posts: 20
    I'm beginning to develop the opinion that the transmission in these cars is just plain junk. The dealer changed the fluid in mine (for free) since the shudder business started at about 26k. The fluid change was good for maybe 1000-1500 miles...then the shudder started again, albeit not as severe or frequent than before. About a week ago, I also experienced a distinct slip during a 3-2 downshift...

Anyway, the dealer has paid for everything so far, no questions asked (4 rotors, maf sensor, tranny fluid, countless hours of befuddled head-scratching), so the car is still here...but when the warranty runs out...we'll see...
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    Thank you for your input. They don't know if the fluid they have put in is right for GM, they have to call manufacturer on Monday. It is obviously not exactly what Ford recommends, they promised to change it again and get right fluid from Ford dealer, if specs for whatever they have put in don't match Ford's. I used to have '81 CV, it never had transmission problem until I draw it to junk yard in 1999.
  • houndoghoundog Member Posts: 21
    Have 99 GM LS with 31K miles - no problems anywhere - have trans fluid changed every 25 to 30K, including draining torque converter. Use only Mercon V - find good trans shop a stick with it. If you are buying a used one look for a GM with the handling package - you won't regret it. If the car has dual exhaust, it should have the handling package. The 99 GM have 3.27 rear which helps a lot on the hills, and moving off the line. Car could use about another 100HP, and thats why I will be looking for a new Marauder next summer. Good luck with your 99 GM.
  • wigglerwiggler Member Posts: 4
    I feel for you Hacksaw, but my front end went on my 97 Grand Marquis at around 60K, and that is after I had new rotors at 45K. This car was a GREAT dissapointment. Never had so many expensive problems, at such early mileage. Brakes, rotors, AC, trans and the front end. Finally the drivers window stuck down for 3 days, until it started to work again, but when I found out about the plastic intake manifold problem, that was the last straw. I bought this car because my wife has (and still owns) a 94 CVic, and it is the car that I was hoping the GM to be. NOT EVEN CLOSE. She has never had ANY of these problems that I have incurred (yet). What a shame on FORD. I finally replaced the GM with an import car, (my first one in 33 years of American cars), and so far it is superior to both my GM and my wifes CV in every way except sheer size. My wife was thinking of another Ford product, but after the quality problems that I had, I believe another Ford is not in either of our futures.
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    They are American made in MI and enjoy a wonderful reputation, just underpowered is all.
  • ribitribit58ribitribit58 Member Posts: 1
    Has any one experienced, or have any information on a problem with water getting into the air intake on the 2000 CV causing it to stall?? Thanks for your help!
    ribitribit58 Get a box of Kleenix and then read post 914.
  • harmarharmar Member Posts: 94
    Sometime ago (post 1000?), several causes for front end noises were noted. I stumbled across two more. The underhood filler between radiator and grille is removable, and it slides around. And the fiberglass/plastic ends of the front bumper are free enough that they flex in and out on their base. WD-40 on them eliminates the squeeking till it dries up/wears off, then they need lubed again. If anyone finds other places, let us know. Thanks.
  • photoboyphotoboy Member Posts: 18
    I'm looking for a 1992 (and only 1992) Crown Victoria as a vehicle to drive daily and possibly restore and make into a full-sized American muscle car. I think that model yar was the first of the new body style and in typical Ford fashion the next year they changed the front end (grill) and nearly ruined the vehicle. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for or better yet, what to look out for in a CV this age? Thanks in advance!
  • ssedok5ssedok5 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 94 CV with 123k miles. I bought the car three years ago from original owner who had receipts for all oil changes at 3k intervals. I add at least a quart every 1000 miles, but only notice a little smoke accelerating from a stop like you stated. I don't have an answer for you, but was hoping someone could share some thoughts on whether this is a valve guide problem or something worse. I have just discovered this forum and have not read through all of the posts so I don't know if this issue has been covered previously.
  • ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    photoboy - In your search for a 92 Crown Vic I would suggest going to www.crownvic.net they have several sub menu items including Wanted To Buy (WTB) and they reach a large population, which will probably be able to help you.

Ron35
  • cs428cs428 Member Posts: 1
    I am contemplating trading in my 1999 Intrepid ES after a continuing series of increasingly serious electrical problems. I am seriously considering a 2001 CV or GM. I like the idea of rear wheel drive and V8 power (no constant velocity joints or expensive struts). I really want to give the American manufacturers another chance and I believe that the CV or GM would be the safest bet from a safety and reliability standpoint. I have owned nothing but ford products in the past (prior to the Intrepid) and have had very good luck. I invite any opinions.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    pace8620, I had the same idle problem with my 2000 GM at 50,000 miles. My GM would not start when cold (mornings) unless I pressed accelerator. I took it to a local L/M dealer and they replaced the IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE which cost $163.26 parts and labor. This did solve the problem. Good luck.
    It has dual exhaust, larger tires, firmer ride and corners better. These are not all of the components, but they do make a difference.
    Is there anyone else that is really turned off by the tail light design on the Grand Marquis? That spear of chrome jutting out into the tail light looks so totally out of context with every other line or styling element that it just turns me off. I would like to replace my '93 but the new car doesn't have the integrated style and good looks that my old one does.

Comments?
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    I guess I don't mind it, but I prefer the painted trunk lid of the Vic vs. the red reflectors on the lid of the Marquis...
  • billyb4billyb4 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 98 Ford Crown Vic LX with the performance/handling option. It's only suppose to be able to tow 2000 lbs which sounds a bit conservative. To satisfy my curiosity, I checked a 93 issue of Consumer Reports where they tested a 93 Crown Vic. They indicated that the tow rating was 2000lbs but with either the towing package or the performance/handling it went up to 5000 lbs! It seems this would be true of my 98 since it s essentialy the same car. Comments?
  • mariiomariio Member Posts: 5
    go a head trade it... I currently own a 1998 Crown Vic that is 95% the same as the 2001...and I've owned a 1997 Intrepid...they are totaly different...the C.V. is more confortable, faster, safer, and very reliable...compared to the intrepid..even though the C.V. is V8 and the Intrepid is V6, the mpg is almost the same...
    The C.V. and G.M. are basically the same the difference is only cosmetic. but The G.M. is about $1,000dlls more and has a higher resale value....
    Good Luck...
    I have a '93 with the towing option that was rated for 5,000 lbs. In addition to the 3.27 rear axle, air suspension, HD shocks etc., it also had a heavier driveshaft and HD cooling (including transmission cooler) which the performance/handling package doesn't.

I don't understand why, but when Ford changed the rear suspension in '97 or '98, they dropped the towing option. I have to think there's something in the suspension or transmission that will no longer stand up to towing heavier loads than the current 2000 lb rating. It's a real shame as my '93 (with 174,000 miles and no drive train problems) would have been replaced by now if I could still get the tow option. It does a better job of towing my 3500 lb boat than an E150 van with a tow package and 351 V-8 did!!

Is there anyone else out there that would pay for a tow package option that would tow more than 2000 lbs with a vehicle that is as comfortable as the CV and GM? And that gets 22-25 mpg when not towing!!!
    I think the tail lights on the 98 & up Grand Marquis's are much better looking than the Ford's, but that's my opinion. I know the only real differences are the radiator grille and taillights, but I think the Grand Marquis looks better than the Crown Vic. I see a Crown Victoria as a taxi/police car, while the Grand Marquis is a bit more of a luxury car. Yeah, I know it's just Ford marketing screwing with my head, but I just prefer the taillights on the Mercury. Monochrome just looks cheap. Take the new Jag X-Type. 95% of the pictures shown in marketing brochures, magazines, ect, show the car in a shade of red that shouldn't be applied to anything other than Kias and Neons, and the Jag has the "sports package" which means all the chrome is now body colored. The result is making what would otherwise be a good looking car look like a Korean import. It looks like a cheap Maaco paintjob when you "black out" all the chrome.

Okay, end of rant.
    While the horizontal red panel that ties the 2 tail lights together is a nice touch, it would look much more finished/intregrated (sp?) if the chrome spears that go no-where were eliminated.

If an emblem were added to the CV tail lights (like the town car), it would look much better also. But Ford doesn't want the CV to look too good---somebody besides the police and taxi companies might buy one.
  • gchernyagchernya Member Posts: 11
    I've had a strange experience with 2000 GM today. After the car was closed headlights continue cycle on and of for an hour, until I had to restart a car and fiddle with headlights switch a little (it was initially in autolamp position, near the middle of delay selection). Lights went off, but keyless entry stop respond to a code from door keypad. But after another trip this was back to normal too. I wonder if anybody experienced something like this, and what needs to be done. My car is still on warranty, but I'm doubtful if dealer will be able to locate the problem as it not present now. In the same time, I do not want to pay for pricey solid-state modules after warranty is over.
    strip and add lights to the reflectors on the trunk lid.

Like the previous T-Bird model...
    I have one of those T-Birds, and I'm going to say as cool as it looks, it's a bad idea. The LED lights in the trunk tend to get dim, usually only on one side, cannot be fixed, and are hideously expensive to replace. $1.95 at Wally World when a regular taillight goes out, over $200 when one of those led panels buys the farm.
    Even though you suspect the problem will not be located, take it in and have it written up and looked at by your dealership's shop. Make sure the Repair Order is specific and comprehensive. Write/type the problem, dates, etc. Give a copy to the service advisor and keep a copy for your records. Courts have held that establishing a paper trail documents the problem(s) existed before your warranty expired, and you may have legal recourse if it dies after the paper warranty goes pfffftttt! It's a hassle, but potentially worth several hundred dollars down the road. Good luck = good records! Best wishes!
    I thought they were plain old bulbs...

My mom had a '93 T-Bird; I never checked, but I could've sworn they were bulbs. They worked fine for 3 years, whatever they were... :)
    Yup, they're LED's. And a pain in the cabeza de vaca as well when something goes wrong. Be glad your mom's works right.
    Leave the red reflector between the rear tail lights---it doesn't have to be lighted. Just lose that g--awful looking piece of chrome sticking into the tail light that only a blue haired old women (with bad taste) could like.
    well, it is at her eye level...

my mom drives a '94 Ranger now (she likes 4wd)... we haven't had the Bird since it was traded on a '96 Taurus LX which was traded on a '99 F-350 crew cab... a proud Ford heritage. :)

I wish Ford would come out with an LTD II. A mini-Vic if you will. Or, take a Lincoln LS, slap a Ford badge on it, and let me have it for $22k out the door. They could even paint it British Racing Green. <^;
    I think Ford has a mid sized RWD car in the works for 2003 or 2004 or so. Last I heard they were considering reviving the Fairlane name for it. Sounds like an excellent idea to me, and I'd buy something called Fairlane long before I'd buy a Tortose, er, I mean Taurus.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Blue Oval News reports that Ford is considering replacing the Taurus with a RWD sedan, loosely based upon the upcoming Mustang, which itself will be based on the Lincoln LS platform. However, such a car probably would not debut before 2006. Ford may also put the Taurus on the next generation Volvo S80 or next generation Mazda 626 FWD platform.
  • zslickzslick Member Posts: 11
    I just finished looking over the Edmunds pricing and model structure for the 2002 CV/GMs and discovered that there's good news and bad news. First the good news: ABS and Traction Control are standard on all models. Now the bad news: The standard equipment list indicates that rear brakes are drums (I hope this is just a typo). If you want the P&H package, you can only get it on the most expensive models, the Crown Victoria LX Sport and the Grand Marquis LSE, both of which start at $27K and $29K, respectively. Somebody say it isn't so!!! It was my understanding that in years past, you could get the P&H package as an option on all trim levels, not just the higher level ones. I am highly disappointed by this. Does anybody else feel the same as I do on this issue?
    But I think Ford wants performance oriented buyers to go for the Marauder. If they jack up the minimum price for a Crown Victoria with the performance & handling package, it pushes it closer to Marauder territory, and it's not such a jump from a Grand Marquis GSE to a Marauder as it is from the base car. So, Ford is hoping more consumers who would have bought a P&H will go for the Marauder. FWIW, I also expect the Sport Appearance Package to disappear after the Marauder is introduced. Like I say, this is just my conjecture, but I think the SAP was put into production to give consumers anxiously awaiting the Marauder to nibble on, and maybe test the waters to see what kind of market there really is for a sportscar version of the Crown Victoria.
    Why make P&H available to basic buyers who are not interested in much other than what it takes to roll out the dealer's door?
    I think there are people out there who would buy a car without power windows, seats, A/C, seat padding, hi-beam headlights, stereo, and ever other feature that isn't absolutely neccesary to run fast, and then drop in a 460 CID engine and 6-speed manual transmission. In other words, the only features they would pay more for are the ones that make the car go fast, and if you make them start paying for leather seats, voice activated cell phones, 1,000,000 watt stereos, in dash microwaves, Direct TV, and all the other nonsense, just to get a more powerful engine and 3.55 gears, they get ticked off. That, I think, is why some people want the P&H on a stripped down bare bones car. WIth the Marauder coming out, I doubt they're going to get that, as Ford will want to push as maany performance buyers as they can up to the most profitable (read expensive) model of the bunch.
  • alster1alster1 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2001 CV. Had owned a '97 and was time to get a new one. I really wanted an LX with the comfort-plus and the handling package. However, I let a good deal slip away and ended up getting the handling package and the comfort package only. When I was looking at the car before I finalized the deal, I noticed in the trunk an adapter of sorts. When I asked the salesperson about it, he did not know, but thought it was for a CD player. I finalized the deal and went to pick up the car the next day, and I asked him again if he found out what the "jack" in the truck was for and he said it was for "computer hook up for service". I am not totally impressed with the salesperson, and wonder if he is right. Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to the brand of CD to get in terms of quality and ease of installation. Or any websites for information on installation or reviews of CD changers.
    Crutchfield has always been very helpful in establishing exactly what I needed. Their staff seems to be very knowledgeable, and has always been right for me. Try 800-955-3000 or their Web site - www.crutchfield.com. Good luck!
  • dmersdmers Member Posts: 23
    We were told the AudioVox harness fit the Ford harness the best for our 2000 Grand Marquis. We put the 10 Magazine changer in and it works fine with the harness in the trunk. The only problem (we were told by the Audio shop we went to in order to save about $400.00 vs the Merc Dealer) is that it works too slow and cannot do random CD/song play. It only does random play on 1 CD at a time. ...it's always something to get you to buy a third party player.
  • swong6swong6 Member Posts: 9
    Had to post this on the Edmund's web site simply because of the amount of educated consumers who utilize Edmunds for research prior to their vehicle purchases. Besides the known issue of the dreaded plastic resin intake manifolds cracking on the 4.6L SOHC engine on the Ford Crown Victoria there is a more catastrophic quality issue with the Crown Victoria and that is the torque converter shudder on the Crown Vic 4R70W transmission. Starting with the '92 model year and the AODE and now the 4R70W which replaced the AODE starting in '98 Ford has known of quality issues of their transmissions which manifests itself as a horrible shudder or vibration as the car shifts from 3rd gear going into 4th gear (usually transitioning from 40 to 50 mph!). I purchased my '99 Crown Vic and it has provided meworry free transportation until just recently. I picked up the horrible shudder just 6 weeks prior to my standard 3yr/36k Ford warranty running out. When this problem first occurred with just 22k on the odometer and 6 weeks left on the warranty I quickly brought the car in for waranty work. Universal Ford in Long Island City, NY validated that indeed there was a shudder and replaced the transmission with a rebuilt transmission. I drove the "repaired" vehicle from NYC to Leesburg, Va. but on the return trip the shudder came back worse than ever. I managed to limp the car back home and the vehicle has been at Universal Ford since. For those of you considering a Crown Victoria perform your "due diligence" and visit some of the other impartial Crown Vic web sites (www.corral.net but more importantly www.crownvic.net) searching on "tranny shudder". Ford has known of this problem over 5 years but hasn't publically made it widely known along with their plastic resin intake manifold debacle. I've had over a dozen Crown Victorias in my life and starting with the '92 model year when they transitioned over from the old pushrod 8 5.0L engine to their new 4.6L SOHC there have been nothing but engine and powertrain quality issues since. I would think long and hard before I consider a Crown Vic ever again and this is simply because no one either at the dealership or Ford's toll free number will provide me with either a name or a phone number of the regional service manager who I can escalate this concern. Because I brought this tranny problem in for service during the remaining waranty I'm hoping this leaves enough of a paper trail so Ford doesn't "spin me around" after the warranty runs out. I don't hold Universal Ford culpable because they have made every good faith effort in repairing my vehicle (keep in mind this is a newly purchased car presently no under 3 years old with just 22k on the odo!) with a rebuilt tranny. I do hold Ford responsible simply because their web site is misleading and badly managed....try and schedule an appointment using their web site and you will see. I am not a chronic malcontent and will not sweat the mickey mouse, nickle/dime items like squeeks, rattles, and fit issues but when the engine and powertrain are not "ready for prime time" you might as well use the car for a boat anchor. I won't even go into how badly the undercarriage is rusting out nor the paint quality issues but I do expect a new car to provide me reliable transportation to and from work!. If anyone within Ford monitors this Edmund's site you can validate my concerns by keying in my vin# 2fafp73wxxx124292 and you will see how many time I've had transmission issues that were verified and validated by the Ford dealership. Ford if you are listening please give me a reason why I should consider you my vendor when 2 years from now I'll trade my wife's car....you've gotten a lot of money from this Ford family the last 20 years and I really want to stay a Ford family but quality has really slipped.
    I visit www.crownvic.net and www.tccoa.com (Thunderbird site), quite a bit, and the general consensus is that there is a very simple fix to the transmission shudder. Drain out all the transmission fluid, including what's in the torque converter (it should be somewhere around 13 quarts), and refill with Mercon V ATF. It's synthetic (read expensive), but it's the only thing that works. If you don't drain the torque converter, or don't refill with Mercon V synthetic, you shudder will return. My guess is when they replaced the transmission, they refilled it with something cheaper than Mercon V. Anyway, I've had my transmission drained and refilled twice, once on general principle, and again because I had to have it apart to fix minor tailshaft leaks (never heard of that happening to any other 4R70W's that I know of), and I've only put 50,000 miles on the thing since I got it in '99, so I'm not really concerned about this. If the transmission starts acting up, I'll just have it flushed and filled again.

BTW, I'm sure the dealership tried the best they could, but I have to wonder if in 2001 they didn't know to try flushing & refilling the transmission, do they really know all they need to to work on Crown Victorias? Everybody talks about what simple, body-on-frame, RWD, stone age cars they are, but they are actually pretty complicated machines, much more so than the 5.0 Crown Victorias were, and the technicians need to be a little more up to date to work on them.
    If I recall right, my '95 Thunderbird had 5 year, 100,000 mile rust/corrosion warranty. See if your Crown Victoria has similar coverage, and if you can get the rust fixed.
  • dmersdmers Member Posts: 23
    Don't worry about Ford contacting you via this website or their own for that matter. They won't. Their website is only a sales brochure. They do not want to know what their customers think.

As for the transmission shutter problem, the forman at our Ford dealer says that changing the transmission oil every 30K goes a long way to eliminate the shutter problem in CV/GMs. I have done this on my last 3 GMs (89,92,94) and have had no problems. Our new 2000 has 28K and is getting due.

Good luck.
    Could it be the idle air bypass unit? It comes and it goes infrequently. Those having had this experience please advise. Thank you.
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    it's not a safety problem, only an annoyance, and they probably won't do anything about it. Best thing to do is like others have suggested, drop a couple hundred bucks and buy enough of the Mercon V ATF synthetic fluid to do a complete flush and have Jiffy Lube or someone do it right, and it should eliminate the problem. My '98 P-71 taxi has 190K, has the shudder, always has, probably always will, and it isn't reducing the life of the transmission as this is the original unit in the car. When it does fail, it will be rebuilt, and I will be sure to have the right fluid put in, and let all y'all know if it eliminates the shudder.
  • ron35ron35 Member Posts: 134
    alster1 - RE your question about CD players. The following site has original equipment players at reduced prices. http://www.mnrelectronics.com/fordradios.html I have a 2001 and my Ford 6 disk player is made by Clarion. I did some research to find this out because my Lincoln Mercury dealer wanted $80 for a CD magazine and I bought the same mageazine from Clarion for $30.

Ron35

• xstthomasxstthomas Member Posts: 3
    I have a 93 GM with 212km that is running just fine (now). It had a big oil consumption problem @ 175 (when I bought it) to 190k (1L/500 km) that I narrowed to exhaust valve seals. Compression checked perfect, plugs not fouled & it ran well. The seals were changed @ a Ford dealer for $950 Cdn including taxes & a $165 valve cover with the pvc incorporated that the dealer said could cause high oil consumption (I figured the cover was off anyway so change it to be sure. The repair dropped oil usage to levels same as my 94 CV with 120k. I only did this because in Ontario the car had to pass a pollution test & wouldn't pass otherwise. I read about this repair in a Chilton's manual & Ford actually has a special valve spring depressing tool (don't over compress the springs).I would suggest a dealer do the work mainly if something goes wrong they cover their workmanship & only if you don't like adding oil &/or the government forces you to.