Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Do you work at the Ontario plant that produces the CV/GM?

I hope that by 2006, the 4.6L V8 in the CV/GM will get the 3 valve per cylinder design of the 5.4L used in the F-150. I think that Automotive News said that the CV/GM may get a modest styling update for 2006 also.
  • bcammackbcammack Member Posts: 1
    If you bust the dealer's chops really hard, you should be able to get one of those '03 LX Sports for about $22.5k with rebates. Go there the last day of October and they'll jump through hoops and bark like dogs to sell one to you. <g> I got mine the last day of July for a net of $23.5k.

My dealer got a new '04 LX Sport in and I was looking at it while picking up my '03 from service.

I see that the heated outside rearview mirrors are no longer standard, but are instead optional. On the Sports, at least, they've gone to a body-colored "B" pillar between the front and rear doors. The silver monochrome one I looked at was beautiful.

I didn't notice the change in taillights, but have heard the same elsewhere. The all-red taillamps have been standard on the Police Interceptor model since that taillamp design was introduced. I don't know which I actually prefer.

I love my 2003 LX Sport. I'm only averaging about 17.5 MPG per tankful presently (@2k miles), but I take the blame for that. It's too much fun... :)

BCC
  • vidtechvidtech Member Posts: 212
    my 97 grand marquis transmission is beginning to shudder slightly between gears 3 and 4.the car has 70k miles.i have heard from previous posts that changing ALL of the transmission fluid and replacing it with MERCON-V may solve this problem.i have also heard that MERCON-V may cause the clutch packs to fall apart.I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
  • dbc123dbc123 Member Posts: 105
  • geok991geok991 Member Posts: 5
    I just read the posts above re. overdrive. I recall owning a 1958 Ford with a straight 6 and manuel shift on the tree. In order to get into o/d range you had to let up on the gas pedal briefly after the car was moving above 32 mph. You could hear a click in the transmission when it shifted into o/d This was a free-wheeling gear and it felt like you were in neutral when it coasted.

Anyone else remember this set -up? I know that I got over 30 mpg and it was a full size car.

Geo K
  • evolkevolk Member Posts: 9
    In changing out my halogen bulbs yesterday, I noticed I have not just condensation, but standing water in the lenses. Are they double-payned? How do I remove?

Its a 97 Crown Vic.

Thanks!
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    is not so safe. You can't see it from a distance too far. But Ford decided to change all their cars to red turn signal lamps. and so they did to the re-designed Freestar. The rear turn signal light at night is almost invisible (same as Chryslers minivans). The old Windstar was very good, it was visible from at least 1/2 mile away! Also Toyota decided to change from yellow to red on the new Sienna, but Honda's Odyssey was changed from red to yellow. If you want to go with the red lamps, copy the... Cadillac DeVille. They're great!

Interesting is that the front lamps always stays yellow. You'll not find a car with a red turn signal lamp in front - why?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Because Federal Law in the United States forbids red lights on the fronts of vehicles other than emergency vehicles. That's why!
  • dmersdmers Member Posts: 23
    Evolk:

We had the same problem on our 94 Merc GM, that is, condensation on the inside of the front headlight lense. Our Ford/Merc dealer drilled a small hole at the bottom of each lense housing to allow moisture to drain out and dry out. The air tight condition inside the housing would not let moisture escape. I don't know if this is the correct way to fix it, but it was low cost and worked trouble free for 5-6 years before we traded it in for our 2000 GM.

Good Luck.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That seems like the best overall solution, but you wonder how it is all that water gets in there.....
  • ragdollgirlragdollgirl Member Posts: 66
    My daughter's 88 Thunderbird had the same water problem and she did the same thing -- drilled holes in the bottom of the lens housing. Worked like a charm. Now my 94 GM is doing the same thing, mostly condensation, though, not standing water. Guess it's time to break out the drill. On another topic, my daughter belongs to some car forums and has heard rumblings about the not-so-distant discontinuation of the Grand Marquis. Tell me it ain't so! Mine has 180,000 miles and is still cooking along great. Looks great, too. I want to get another one pretty soon, if they give some better color choices. The current blues and green are terrible, in my opinion. I almost bought a 98 medium blue GM on eBay yesterday, but I am squeamish about the sight-unseen thing. It was a knockout, though, with sunroof and all. That blue isn't offered now, and the price of a new GM blows me away. If they are going to do away with it though, I will rush to my nearest dealer and get one, since I will keep it a long time. Anybody got any scoop on this?
    Same rumblings have been heard for over a decade now. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis will be around through at least 2009.
  • harmarharmar Member Posts: 94
    As previously posted, a buddy, now retired from Ford, tells me FoMoCo still makes money on these models, so they'll be around awhile. Increasing costs are held somewhat in check by making prior years' standard equipment optional, such as the dual sunvisors and locking gas door, or by eliminating something like the passenger's outside doorlock and keypad.
    Ford has been trying to get rid of the keypad for years now, and they get hate mail galore each time they do it. It's a lovely feature that actually keeps customers loyal to the brand. It would be foolish to decontent those features, particularly in light of today's competition. Hope someone from Ford is reading.

My wife bought her old 94 Cougar out of her lease in 96, because she couldn't get the keypad on the 96 - it had been eliminated. A sale lost.
    Has anyone added a pair to a GM or CV? Several retailers advertise them for ~$290. I've seen them on some General Motors models and like the extra degree of safety they provide. It's been a long time since I tore apart a door, so am not certain what I'd run into re: all the electronics on the driver's side (e.g., windows, locks, seat adjustments, trunk, etc.). What type connections are there? Thanks for any insights.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    The GM models with turn signal mirrors are factory installed, not aftermarket. They are offered on many GMC, Chevy and Cadillac models.

Ford also offers it on the Windstar/Freestar minivans. And the Expedition or Explorer have a signal lamp under the mirror, and so are many GM's (as Envoy, etc.)
  • ericchenericchen Member Posts: 2
    Please assist my 86K mile 98 Grand Marquis. As I was ready to leave work this afternoon, I turned the steering wheel and tried to back the car out of the parking lot. I heard a grinding noise coming from the front end and the car won't move forward nor backward. I found that only the right front wheel is turning right and left. The left front simply won't turn. The power steering seemed fine and was turning the right front wheel OK. I was lucky that it happened before I hit the road, but I need help to get the car repair soon. Can anyone help me point out what parts of my front end is broken? What is the average cost of repair for this? Or recommend a front-end shop near Chicago O'Hare airport? Your input is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    I'm aware that original equipment is the best way to go, but was wondering if anyone had installed the aftermarket kit. "Muth" makes a nice, complete one for late model GMs. Since I'm not planning to buy for many years (I drive my cars till they start nickel and diming me to death.), I'd add the signals to mine if the process was not terribly difficult. But it's been years since I got into a door, and the switches on the driver's door might be easy (plug-ins) or hard to deal with. But -- winters in Michigan DO provide ample time for me to work on the problem. If I get any info, I'll post it. Thanks again.
  • ericchenericchen Member Posts: 2
    I found the problem this morning! It's the lower control arm that was seperated from the lower ball joint. The sealed type ball joint was so bone dry inside. No wonder it snapped. I did hear some noise from the same area before, but the music was so loud. Perhaps the other side is going soon. Anyway, thanks for those who tried.
    Never heard of that happening before. Congrats on avoiding a disaster!
    ball joint problems are quite common w grand marquis and crown vics.ford even issued an "internal"tech bulletin on it.if these stupid auto engineers would incorporate a simple grease fitting there would be no problem.
    grease fittings cost Ford, maybe, $.50, and would eliminate $350 ball joint replacement jobs for Ford/Lincoln-Mercury dealerships and mechanics! (Sorry, my Scrooge-like sarcasm is slipping out early this year.)
    the sad thing is if you go back to the dealer(after the warranty is up of course)they will put the same junk back on so you can expect to change them again in a few years.
    Grease fittings were eliminated on Fords decades ago. Anybody else's cars still have them? I don't know.
  • genex1genex1 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your response to my question re: ticking noise. It is intermittent and I only hear it inside the car--no chance to hear it outside the car. I hear it only when accelerating slightly with the hood down and it is not loud. If, as you say, ticking is not unusual, what might be the explanation?
  • barnzybarnzy Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2000 GM LS with handling package that has 63K on it. I bought the car new in Nov 99 and so far the only repair has been to the cruise control system. I would like to hear from high mileage owners as to what a realistic life expectancy for this vehicle might be. The body is in excellant condition, with no rust or dents. Average MPG is 17-18 city, and 22-23 highway. I would like to keep this car as long as it is financially practical.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    I've only got 109k on my '98, so I don't have high mileage yet myself, but have seen NYC taxis on eBay w/250k+. And they were '99 and newer. Of course they could've had a new motor & tranny or two along the way...

I had a '90 Vic w/ ~163k that ran great and didn't burn any oil, but leaked it from every seal it could, so I sold it back in May.

I can't confirm this, but I think age gets these cars before the miles do.
    I would concur with iusecad - mileage isn't much of an issue at all until you get over 150,000, then you may start to have a few issues. 10 years is easy to achieve also. Change the axle fluid in the rear end before 90,000 though, or you'll be sorry :)
  • jeff94vicjeff94vic Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased a '94 CV, and after reading the posts here I have a couple of quick questions:

1- What does the "P73" in my VIN mean? From what I've read on the board a "P71" equals a police interceptor. Are there other codes that identify certain features?

2- How do you know if your car has traction control? The previous owner made no mention of it, so I assume mine doesn't have it, which is too bad since in about 2 months I'll be up to my ears in snow.

Thanks in advance.
  • hotrodlincoln1hotrodlincoln1 Member Posts: 62
    P71=late model (started in 1994, I think)Police Interceptor

P72=Fleet/earlier Police

P73=base

P74= LX or LX Sport, the cushy crown vic.

As for the traction control question, I don't have the answer, but you can probably find out on crownvic.net
    Chris Wedge, of www.muthco.com, e-mailed a pdf file of detailed, illustrated installation directions and a list of shops that will install the "signal mirror kit" if my efforts fail. (Kit includes replacement mirrors, wiring and connectors to splice into turn signal wiring.) Directions suggest professional installation and say each side takes approximately an hour. I'm going to buy and try to install myself. I'll post my results.
    If you have it on your Crown Vic, you'll have a module connected to your master cylinder by a bunch of metal tubing, probably mounted near the fender. It will look like an octupus.
    Harmar: Sounds like something I'd be interested in putting on my GM. Do you have an estimated total cost?
    Anyone aware of possible body style changes for 05 Grand Marquis?
    Muth Co. retails a kit (includes everything necessary) for $219. Searching "Muth signal mirrors" turned up at least one site that will sell for 10% off that. The Muth site suggests one hour per door for installation, which may be accurate. A respondent to the "Aftermarket" site here said he'd installed them on a car with no power features in 30 minutes per door. My local shops are charging around $60 an hour labor, so if you must pay someone to install a pair, the total should run around $339.

I worked in body shops many years ago, but have not personally torn apart a door recently. The pdf directions didn't frighten me. But if I got into trouble, I'd pay for help and let someone install them.

I keep my cars around 10 - 11 years. $339 prorated over 10 years is peanuts, and I am impressed by the extra safety these mirrors add.

If you go to the Muth site and can't get the installation directions to function, ask for help and the company will respond quickly.

Incidentally, I don't know anyone who works there, don't own stock in the company, or anything else. I'm just impressed with the product and intend to install it on my car.

Good luck.
    I have a 94 GM with over 180,000 miles on it. Runs and looks great. I started using Pennzoil high mileage oil in it about a year ago and find that it helps a lot with reducing the frequency of adding oil between changes. It doesn't do much for the blue smoke, though. But that is not too bad for that amount of miles. The car has a few creaks in the suspension, but nothing major. I hate to part with it because I won't get anything for it, and it's worth a lot more to me than to someone else. I keep up with maintenance and waxing, etc. and it has paid off. I'd like to keep it to 200k, if possible.
    You can do it, ragdoll!!
    Soooo nice to hear another owner who looks at a car, primarily, as transportation. Heck, my '00 GM has occasional suspension creaks and groans, too. (Though the hood bumpers do the same when I neglect to WD-40 'em regularly.) The longer you drive it, the lower ownership costs average out.

My only caveat might be in looking at how depressed current prices are as compared with what they will be when the economy has perked up fully. Of course, if one chooses to buy a year or two old/used one, not a spankin' new one, waiting longer won't be as important in this respect.

Good luck with the '94!
    Actually, used car prices are more depressed now than they have been in many, many years. That is why trade in values are so low--new cars are so relatively less dear in money terms.

When the economy rebounds, the rising tide will lift both new AND used car prices.
    I have a 94 GM with 152,000 miles. I maintain it almost fanatically (do the work myself) both mechanically and cosmetically. People often think that it is a new car. Earlier this year I bought a new 03 GM and after only 6 months of ownership, I've sold it. The 03, in spite of some improvments, did not satisfy me nearly as much as the 94. I'm now planning on driving the 94 as long as possible. It has been almost unbelivably inexpensive to operate for 10 years - less than $600 in unscheduled maintainence expenses!
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    I kind of have the same feelings as you. I had a '90 Crown Vic and now own a '98, and I really like the '98, but the '90 was a much better fit for me.

Of course driving around looking like a cop doesn't help my situtation either...
    Have you replaced / rebuilt your engine or tranny? If so, at what mileage? My '94 still has low mileage (80,000) & I'm hoping to keep it for the long haul. I'm just curious as to when high-mileage owners have had to replace the engine and transmission.
    With the exception of the ignition wires, plugs and serpentine belt, I've replaced nothing on the engine or trans of my 152K mile 94 GM. I have changed ALL fluids regularly. Oil/filter at 3-4000 miles. Coolant every three years. Brake and differental fluid every five years and VERY IMPORTANT - Trans fluid and filter at 30K mile intervals. The car looks and drives very little different than when new and I fully expect to see at least another 100K miles.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I got an 88 Grand Marquis wagon with 192K miles on it. It's rusty, but runs like a 4-5 year old car.
    My 94 (with 180k miles) has not had any engine or transmission work at all. (If you don't count replacing the torque converter at about 36k miles.) Since then, nothing. However, I've had 3 sets of EGR valves and sensors, 3 windshield wiper motors, 3 sets of driver's seat tracks, but most of that stuff was done early in the car's life (except for the last EGRs a few years ago). There is a leak in the A/C evaporator, which I'm not going to fix because I've been told it will be quite expensive. I just get the freon recharged every spring. However, this year the freon didn't last till cold weather, so the leak must be getting worse. Also, the air bag sensor wires shorted out several months ago -- again, possibly an expensive fix so I haven't done it. But other than routine belts, fluids, brake jobs, etc., most repairs were done eons ago and the car has been very inexpensive to drive for a number of years. I guess I've been very lucky. Oh, it also has the original shocks/struts/springs (whatever term is correct), and it rides just like when it was new. Only has surface cracks in the driver's seat edge, but no actual cracks clear through or tears. Basically looks and runs great. It seems to be like the washer/dryer combo I had for 22 years before they croaked. My new ones probably won't last that long. That's what I think about getting a newer car. It might not turn out to be as good as the one I have, so I'm going to milk it for all it's worth. Good luck with yours!
    Just got back from a trip to San Francisco, where I rode in two Town Cars, which as we all know, is a CV/GM underneath mostly. One of them had over 500,000 miles on it, and the other, 300,000. They both rode just like brand new Town Cars I rent frequently, sounded the same, ran like tops, and if I hadn't seen the odometer, I would have guessed they both had under 50,000 on them. I'm sure they've had some service, but it really does amaze me how well put together those panther cars are, they don't ever rattle after a half million miles of livery abuse. I feel like a fool for selling my cars after 65,000 miles!
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I had a 88 Grand Marquis (Grand Ma) that I sold in 2000. The car had 157K miles without any major problems (AC compressor at 120K,oil leak at 139K). The car was solid as a rock. I hope Ford doesn't pull the life support from Grand Ma. This car truly provides great bang for the buck. I love you Grand Ma
    If you live in a snow-belt area, I would be interested to hear what you do (or don't do) with respect to rust-proofing. Does it need to be done? If so, with what frequency?

I have a 94 CV with next to no rust on it. I'm not sure what the previous owner had done to it in the past, although when my mechanic checked it out he said the underbody was fine. I live in an area that gets a lot of snow and therefore a lot of salt on the roads.

I'd like to keep this car for the long haul, but am not sure as to what sort of investment I should be making in rust-proofing.

Thanks in advance for your comments.