Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Why doesn't the Ford Motor Company install the new 4.6, 300 hp V-8 from the 2005 Mustang GT into the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis?

It couldn't hurt. Plus, the 05 Mustang GT's V-8 has an aluminum block which weighs 75 pounds less than the 04 Mustang GT's iron block. It also pollutes less.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Here, here!!!!...plus all the other "minor" improvements cited earlier...
  • rkjmtrkjmt Member Posts: 1
    I was driving my 1993 Crown Vi , I heard A chirp sound then my car died. I have checked the battery & starter both are ok. When I try to turn it over I get a single click then nothing.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    No posts in 10 days. All drivers must be content with their Crown Vics and Grand Marquis'. I am. But then, maybe everyone got rid of them. Hmmmmmm.
    It could be the solenoid going bad, especially if the click is rather loud...when I used to work on cars years ago (and it may still be accurate for Fords in the 90s) Ford vehicles were the only American cars with the starter solenoid mounted on the fender well off the starter...GM and Dodge were always mounted directly on the starter...anyway, because of the way the Ford starter worked, the voltage required was always more than GM or Dodge...in other words, if the battery was down to, say, 10 or 10.4 volts, a GM or Dodge would crank and the starter would work...but any Ford product would require (if memory serve me correctly) at least 11 volts to engage the solenoid, or else you would just hear a loud click...what was so deceiving was that the battery would "check out" OK, but if it was right on the edge, the starter would not engage or crank...it was usually a good predictor of either the alternator on the verge of going bad or a battery on the verge of going bad, but either system would work for months in a GM or Dodge product, only Ford with the remote solenoid was that sensitive to a drop in the voltage or cold cranking amps in the battery...check it out more thoroughly...Fords are quirky that way...
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    It might be worth either jumping the car, or taking the battery out and getting it load-tested. If I was a betting man, I would guess the battery, since it cannot turn over the starter.

If the battery checks out, I say it might be time for a tow. Crown Vics are pretty simple cars, so it shouldn't be terribly expensive. The key is to find a good, honest mechanic.

On the starter solenoid, the pro of having it on the fender is it is much easier to replace than attached to the starter.
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    Could Ford alter the Panther platform to incorporate an AWD option, or would that necessitate moving to a stretched "500" platform, like one link said the company is planning to do with the TC?

I don't know if they'd want to steal any thunder from the 500, but if it were possible to modify the Panther platform so that they could squeeze 2-3 more inches in to the backseat area it would really be an upgrade for the car.

The folks talking about inserting the 300 HP engine from the Mustang are hitting that on the head. Ford's V-8's are trumped by many competitiors V-6's. Diamler-Chrysler and GM are showing that engine technology exists that can help get a few more MPG in highway mileage situations...where is Ford on this front?

Final thought...With the discussion of hybrid technology ever increasing, is it possible to incorporate THAT into the CV/GM/TC set-up? I've read before the engine bay won't accomodate the 5.4L engine from the F-150, but could a battery be installed that would help with fuel economy/total engine power and possibly "introduce" this car to a new market of consumers??? If not the engine bay, perhaps the top shelf of the trunk...Honda has put their battery for the Accord in the trunk, so it's not exactly unheard of.

Just a few rants/thoughts from a guy that owns a 98 Regal GS and would like to buy a CV/GM...albeit with a few modifications ;-)

Thanks...
  • gene42gene42 Member Posts: 11
    Mostly in warm weather, when accelerating at low speed, I get what I think is spark knock in my 2003 GM. Dealer looked at it and made some parts changes in the computer which he said were part of a technical service bulletin advisory.

Still getting the knock (like marbles rolling around). Should I move up to a higher octane or seek to have timing adjusted? I don't mind using a higher octane but I don't want to mess up the computer setting. Is the moderate knocking seriously harmful?
    Before "messing" with the computer,I would try going to a different gas station or two. At times, there is some baaaad gas out there. If no improvement,I would go up to a higher octane. Pinging occurs when the gas burns as more of an explosion within the cylinder. A higher octane gas burns with a smoother woosh. All octanes have the same "power", it is a matter of how smoothly they burn.
  • ronald1ronald1 Member Posts: 11
    I experienced a tie-rod failure on my '99 GM with 124K miles. Given the number of miles on the vehicle, the failure of any component can not be considered unusual. The reason I am posting this event is not that the tie-rod failed, but rather the way it failed.

I drove this car since it was new and when I drove to work on Monday the vehicle handled as well as when it was new. On my way home the tie-rod end failed. Like a light bulb failure - no warning except for a few unusual steering feedback occurrences (like low tire air pressure) in the final three miles. In the past my vehicles have always shown signs of front end part wear for many miles before I had parts replaced. I have never experienced an actual front end component failure before this.

Is the rather sudden failure of my tie-rod end a freak occurrence?
  • dmersdmers Member Posts: 23
    I have to report that our Electronic Dash fuse is blowing again on our 2000 GM/LS w/93K miles. The Ford shop now disconnected the passenger Sun visor w/mirror light as well as the driver Sun visor w/mirror light and garage door opener__ for another $69.00 repair 3 months later. This seems to have cured the problem. We chose not to purchase the $800.00 replacement sun visors.

I see why Ford/Merc/Linc have gone to the stationary inflexible dual sun visors to quietly correct this problem. I feel dual sun visors should be standard on all cars, like delay wipers eventually became standard on most vehicles.

The 2000 model secondary dual visor was very adjustable vs the stationary secondary is not today.

dmers
    I,too,have a 99 GM bought new. 53,000 miles-my baby. Tie rod failure = ? Did it separate from the wheel assembly or did the connecting sleeve, which is quite thin, bend? Need more info. Thanks.
    The outer tie-rod end separated from the driver side wheel assembly.
    Total separation! I would say that is a rare occurrence. (Unless a curb or other immovable object was hit recently, or when the car was parked,with its wheels in the far right or left turn position, another vehicle hit a front wheel. No evidence of impact on a front wheel/tire/wheel cover? Do inspect the other tie rod end.)
    I can't remember any time where I hit a pothole or bumped a curve with my '99 GM that would explain the tie-rod end failure. It was this fact that there was no obvious incident to cause the tie-rod end failure that led me to have all four tie rod-ends replaced. (two on each side) $600 including the tow and a front end alignment.
    A 99 Merc with 4 tie rod ends? No such animal. If they charged you for 4, tell them you want your money back for 2, and the labor cost for replacing the phantom 2. (Are you sure you don't mean ball joints? There are 4 of them.)
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    The Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis have always beens some of my favourite cars. I know they haven't been redesigned completely since 1998, yet their design is timeless.

I wish Ford would offer a Crown Victoria SVT, instead of that stupid Sport Trac Adrenalin. Sport sedans are more practical than sport trucks. Ford should drop a Mustang engine with 300 hp to give the Crown Victoria some attitude. It might even be able to steal Chrysler 300C customers.

The Grand Marquis should incorporate a more modern dash, with features like a nav system, premium audio system, power seats, premium leater, real wood like walnut, ebony, birds eye maple, rosewood

With regards to SVT, I hope the Mustang can revive the brand. The Sport Trac Adrenalin is stupid, a new F-150 Lightning would look much better. Ford should also apply the SVT treatment to vehicles like the Focus, Fusion, Five Hundred, Freestyle and the Expedition. If Jeep can offer 400+ hp in a Grand Cherokee, then it proves that Ford needs to respond with a supercharged Explorer or Expedition. Dodge is applying the SRT 8 treatment to almost all it's vehicles, so it's time Ford revived SVT.
    Hold on and see what happens in 2006 and 2008. The new Charger police model requires Ford to upgrade the car, especially power, or they will lose a big chunk of the market.
  • dbc123dbc123 Member Posts: 105
    Contrary to what is posted in #2465 there ARE 4 tie rod ends, inner and outer on two rods. Obviously poster is not familiar with CV/GM front ends.
  • tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    First, I second the motion for the 300HP installation of the 4.6 Mustang in the Panthers.

Second, what was the approximate cost to replace the tie rods? Did you have both sides replaced?

:shades:
  • corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Ford would be wise to upgrade the drivetrain in the Panther. I would prefer if they replaced the current 4.6V8 (239hp/287lb-ft) with the 5.4V8 (300hp/365lb-ft) from the F150 and backed it up with a five speed automatic. Combine that with a freshening of the exterior and complete remodeling of the interior and Ford could easily squeeze several more years of service out of this ancient platform.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    One must remember that Ford MUST meet its Corporate Average Fuel Economy requirements or be hit with either a gas guzzler tax and/or penalties for each vehicle sold. One of the major reasons more power is available in trucks than large cars is the CAFE. With the current oil situation, I doubt this changes any time soon....
  • fx4fx4 Member Posts: 72
    It's been a while since this post, but I thought I would reply anyway due to first-hand experience.

My 97 T/B with 4.6L V-8 that we bought as lease turn-in after 22,000 had the intake manifold problem. I started to pass another vehicle and suddenly cooling water and steam started going all over. I was a mile or so from dealer and limped quickly back to shop. Turned out to be a no cost Ford recall repair. There was a recall notice in the T/B glove compartment, so we assumed the lessee had had it taken care of repair--apparently not. Don't know what the water leak had to do with busted intake manifold?
  • melcohmelcoh Member Posts: 1
    If you have any additoonal info on this problem would appreciate it. I am trying to get Ford to pay for fixing the problem with my 97 Grandf Marquis.
  • mystiquemystique Member Posts: 24
    Does anybody know if Ford is leaning towards using the 3 valve 4.6 in 06' to go with the update, and does anybody have pictures or drawings of the 06' facelifted Vic. I am particularly interested in the LX Sport but if they throw the new V8's in them i will wait until they come out.
    Thanks
  • maytag87maytag87 Member Posts: 37
    Good morning folks,

I picked up a 92 Grand Marquis from a buddy who just picked up a 2004 Crown Vic leftover. The 92 has 126K miles, runs pretty well. It has a problem with the column shifter, where it is very tough to get into park. You can shift it, but the gear selector needle isnt lining up with the expected gear. You can get it into drive by shifting the shift lever almost all the way down. Also when shifting back into park, it likes to only get as far as reverse. Shifting the shifter lever with exuberance will get it into Park and then you can set the parking brake if desired.

My friend thinks that to fix it, one must dig into the steering column, remove the airbag steering wheel and fix a gear selector lever cable of sorts. Says he even had a shop previously fix it with 3 hours labor charged, a couple of years back. I am wondering if maybe it is the actual transmission cable that goes from the shifter linkage to the transmission that is actually the problem, and to fix it, I would not need to do anything in the steering column at all. I am more well versed in GM, specifically 68-88 RWD Oldsmobile Cutlass, and I have little Ford experience in general. I searched the archives on this forum but came up empty. Any suggestions? I suspect this is really a stretched trans cable, but my friend thinks otherwise.

Other than that, the glove box cable is broken so I have to swap out the glovebox, or improvise a rev limiter for the glove box door so it doesnt fall down when it opens. The clear coat is flaking quite a bit, high speed on the wipers is non-functional, other speeds work, AC is toast & headliner is starting to sag on the front and rear edges. New alt, good diehard battery, 2 new tires, fluids changed on schedule. Custom dual exhaust is in nice shape.

Thanks!
    Rob
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to also post this in our Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion while you are waiting for some feedback here. Let us know how it goes.
  • maytag87maytag87 Member Posts: 37
    Good afternoon folks,

Here was the message that helped me fix the problem:
    jamesjones000 - I had the same problem in my '92 and with mom's '94 Grand Marquis. If you remove the covers under the steering column, you should find where the shift cable connects to the an arm in the linkage. On both of our cars, 2 torx screws in the arm connected to the cable were either loose or falling out completely. Tighten these (and check for any others that may be loose) and you should notice easier shifting instantly. You may need to adjust the cable where it connects to the transmission, but most likely this should do the trick.
    -------
    Well the two t-30 torx screws that are the on the column mount point were loose enough - just about ready to fall off. The bracket was even loose enough to be crooked rather than straight, not sitting flush on the column mount point as it should be. Tightened up those two screws, no others appeared loose, and outstanding results - shifts perfect now!

Thanks a lot for that tip!!
    Rob
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Great, glad to hear it!!

Where did you find that message? I could link to it, but I can't find a poster by that name.
  • pantheraparduspantherapardus Member Posts: 4
    Look at the 2005 to see the 2006. At the NYC Int. Auto show in March, I asked the Mercury people what the deal was on the 2006 "freshening" of the GM(CV). They snapped back - "None". I explained I had read several things about there being a minor face lift in 2006 and a more substantial change in 2008 and that the St. Thomas plant manager indicated to a local paper that these coincided with $100m & $250m investments in the plant. They again replied there is going to be one re-freshening in 2007. I then told them that I understand the 500/Montego would be re-skinned that year, are they confusing the two - also the GM/CV are "due" for a 3 year grill change at least. There reply, "No, we mean the CV/GM are to be re-styled in 2007". This confused me a bit, but I will take them at their word. After thinking it over, it made a little more sense to me that a freshening might happen in the model year following an investment. So I have accepted this as the way things are going to be for now.

Pantera Pandus
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I can't think of a better way to kill sales of 05 units than telling you there will be a major change in the 06 models.

Should the Mercury people be right and the 06's are warmed over 05's, I will be looking into motorcars produced in Coventry in 04 with low mileage - and they are out there, some still new on the dealer's lots.

Brand new 04 Town Cars still for sale in Portland advertised at 15k off MSRP, but who wants a '98 in '06?
  • mystiquemystique Member Posts: 24
    Ok thanks, I suppose the look would not have changed that much anyways. The 03' looks just like the 98' to 02' save for the LX wheels. Have you heard about the 3 valve V8 being used at all?
    Would be for the 2007 models that go on sale in the fall of 2006. At least, that is my take.

I'm still using as my back-up car my 94 Grand Marquis (actually, my parents are driving it right now, as their 2002 CRV just got hammered by a Yukon XL in an accident, and it is out of action for about 4 weeks), but I'd like to replace it and the 2000 Intrepid at the same time with a new Grand Marquis. I'm waiting on an updated powertrain, so I'm right there with you hoping for the upgraded 4.6 and a 5-speed auto ASAP.

The new Charger pursuit vehicle is the only thing that will make Ford get off it's butt and upgrade the best platform they have from a longevity and durability standpoint.
  • tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    Autoweek ( www.autoweek.com ) shows the '06 Explorer.. says it will definitely have the 3-valve Mustang motor...Let's hope this carries over to the CV/GM
  • turbo301turbo301 Member Posts: 73
    I have a 1985 Grand Marquis whose rear end virtually liquidated itself one day about 12 years ago. We (my family, who bought the car new) were about thirty seconds from getting onto the freeway when it appears some sort of retaining pin or something slipped out and got caught in the gears, leading to a total failure; it blew a hole right in the pumpkin, and the mechanic who replaced the rear (no hope of a rebuild!) was shocked at just how damaged the thing was. He said that, had we gotten onto the highway before the failure, the rear axles could have slipped right out and caused, well, a serious accident. :surprise:

At the time, the car had about 60,000 km. Of course, the car was out of warranty when this happened, so Ford did jack all as far as help is concerned. I was wondering if anyone is aware of a problem with these cars' rear ends, or was this just a very unfortunate fluke? The replacement rear (3.08 gears instead of the original 3.55s, unfortunately) has held up fine; the car now has 103,000 km.

BTW in case anyone is interested, my car is a base model, but with 15" wheels and the handling package. It had to be custom ordered because we never found ANY Grand Marquis at the dealerships that had the handling package; lots of digital clocks and lame formal roofs, but no handling packages! :confuse:

Thanks for any help!

P.S. Now that I'm starting my first job, I'm looking at getting myself a 2004 Crown Vic. I'm amazed at how totally different they are from the '85! I know that some accuse the 4.6L of being a bit underpowered, but compared to the carburetted 5.0L, it's a screamer!">
  • markermanmarkerman Member Posts: 3
    How long can I expect a 92 CV alternator to last? I have 125,000 miles on the original alternator and I am amazed! I drove General Motors' cars in the 70' and 80' and had to rebuild the alternator every 30,000 miles or so.
  • markermanmarkerman Member Posts: 3
    How long can I expect a 92 CV alternator to last? I have 125,000 miles on the original alternator and I am amazed! I drove General Motors' cars in the 70' and 80' and had to rebuild the alternator every 30,000 miles or so.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    with the 5.0L had it's original when I sold it in '03 with 166k... Well, I'm assuming it was original; we got the car when it had 70k in '92...

and as far as I know, my '98 still has it's original with 122k on it... (I got it w/102k 2 years ago...)
    The number one killer of alternators use to be a too tight belt. Most cars now have automatic tensioners that eliminate the "too tight" belt problem. The quickest that I had an alternator fail is 120K. I sold two cars with over 215K and original alternators. Before the automatic tensioners came out I would drive my new cars home and loosen the alternator belts. In almost 40 years of driving I replaced one alternator.
  • wrangler4wrangler4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Crown Vic with 150,000 miles and up until this point I have had great luck with the car. I'm not a car expert, so bear with me.

For some reason, the turn signal (JUST the clicking sound, NOT the light) will start clicking for no apparent reason. I don't touch the turn signal or the hazard lights--it just starts clicking on its own. The clicking sound is usually quicker than the normal turn signal (i.e. click,click,click as opposed to click.......click........click of the turn signal) and the clicking is sporadic.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when this things starts going off--but let me tell you, when it does it makes the 45 minute commute a living hell--kinda like a variation of chinese water torture. The sound is coming from the little black box--the "Lighting Control Module" (LCM) which I took out and replaced myself last fall. Since then, I haven't had any trouble with it until yesterday, so I wondered if something electrical like this could be messed with because of the heat (I live in Indiana).

Wouldn't you know it, but every time I have taken the car to the mechanic, the clicking noise will stop.

Any suggestions or help would be great!

Jim
  • lgsmedilgsmedi Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying this nice looking mercury GM from this kid for a really good price, I checked the car on carfax and been to mechanic. The car looks good, has 94k miles on it, 1994 LS edition I think and I was wondering whether I'll be able to sell it?
    Somebody told me that I'll never be able to sell this car, what do you guys think?
    Let me get this straight...you are considering buying an 11 year old GM, with almost 100K on it, probably requiring more routine maintenance than the car is worth, and you're worried how much it will SELL for when you sell it with, say 125K to 150K miles, on a car that already depreciated over 80% by 1999???...why not just donate it to one of the charities that take old cars, or just use it as an anchor for your rowboat when you are tired of the car??? :confuse: :confuse:
    I bought my 94 Grand Marquis with 107,000 miles (it now has 115,000 miles), and I admit I had to put new tires on the car, and I've just done all 4 sets of brake pads myself. The total for those combined was around $300.

If the plugs and wires are not original, those will need replaced soon. It may start to burn oil from the valve seal stems, but the car will cost very little to maintain; it could run another 100,000 miles before anything major happens.

It all depends on what you paid for it. Any running car that doesn't look like crap is worth $1,000, if the A/C works.
  • ragdollgirlragdollgirl Member Posts: 66
    My '94 GM LS will be turning 200k miles by tomorrow. I've had it since day one and it's been the best car I've ever had. If that GM seems good to you, buy it! It's probably got tons of good miles left, and then you can worry about what to do with it. :D
  • imstupidimstupid Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,,Glad I found this forum.I have an issue I cant figure out.MY 1987 Crown Vic has lost its mind and backbone too.I went to pass a car the other day and I didnt get the normal downshift for passing,but thats okay,,I made it around the other car.Worst part was after I parked the car, now when I start it ,it acts like it is in gear or something. Like the wheels want to turn when it is started.I thought it might be something like the older cars with modulator valves,but after buying one for the model car I have,I cant find the dang thing on the transmission anywhere.So,thats one question I have,where is the modulator valve on a 1987 Crown Vic,secondly I also heard someone the kickdown cable bushing may have got worn out or broke and/or something, I got it tied back on with a ziptie..If anyone has an exploded view or diagram please email it to me even a link to where one is will be helpful,,same for the kickdown cable,where the bushing is suppose to be at.Thanks a bunch and thanks even more for having this forum so maybe a stupid man like me can try to fix my own car.
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    One of my best friends works for the highway patrol and has stated that they seem to be having much more trouble with the transmission on later model CV's than what they used a few years ago. Knowing that Ford hasn't done any makeovers of the tranny, I was wondering if "regular" users were noticing that same problem.

Now, I realize that those guys and gals do things none of us would probably want to with our cars, but even given that he states that they're having a lot more 25,000-35,000 mile replacements of the tranny whereas they usually made it to the 50,000 mile mark (when they sell them at auction).

HOPING that Ford will update this car soon (3 valve 4.6 and a few other upgrades) I'd consider myself in the future market for one, but if the tranny's are becoming more suspect that is definitely something to watch out for.

Just curious, what say you all?
  • turbo301turbo301 Member Posts: 73
    I suppose that I don't have enough experience under my belt to provide much help, but I bought a 2004 Crown Vic (ex rental, and rentals aren't usually treated with much respect) with about 19,000 km on it and everything seems to be working fine. The transmission is smooth, the colour of the fluid is nice and rosy, and power is transferred to the pavement with aplomb. My friend has a 2002 Grand Marquis with a very hard 100,000 km on it, and its transmission is also in good order. Could your cops have gotten a bad batch? :lemon: :sick: :lemon:
  • skysbaskysba Member Posts: 1
    Hi!

Which car cover do you guys recommend? The Ford one runs about $230 which I heard is what good and customized car covers cost.

Thanks for your help.
  • basilsbasils Member Posts: 25
    I need some help on ordering an '06 in a couple of months. I found out that they aren't making any real changes to the car until '07 except for the antenna being placed into the back window, and a couple of option changes. One new color being added is Tungsten Clearcoat Metallic. Does anybody know if this is a light or dark grey? Also, my main question,,,,,when you order the handling and performance package for an LX (not sport) model, do you retain the chrome body pieces? Also, is the horsepower increased from 224hp to 239hp when you order this package, or is it just going to improve the handling? I know that they give you dual exhausts with this package so is that what increases the HP output? I ask these questions because the Ford sites are very confusing about it and say that ONLY the LX Sport has the available high output 239hp 4.6 engine.
    Any help would be appreciated.