Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Uh, this is not the place for that conversation ...
  • fscaranofscarano Member Posts: 44
    Reading back through these message boards I'M surprised that many CV and GM owners make their vehicles look like police cruisers. My question is how can I improve my am/fm reception I just purchased a 2000 GM LS With 37.000 miles.

thank you
  • joe3716joe3716 Member Posts: 15
    When i first bought my GM, i noticed that flat black box under the trunk with all the hoses stretching to both sides like a debris trap waiting to get ripped off. What a place to put that there? I wrote to Ford/Mercury hoping they will locate this contraption elsewhere or have it shielded from debris on the road. wonder how many CV/GMs have had this ripped clean off their vehicles or have the hoses torn off?
    Just interested in opinion’s on what motor oil others use in their G/M synthetic or conventional motor oil?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    Mobil 1 for the last 25 years in '80.'82,94 Town Cars.
    95 T Bird & 66 Mustang. Currently I mix 5/30 with 20/50 (1/2,1/2) & the engines are quiet, smooth, & powerful. :)
  • ragdollgirlragdollgirl Member Posts: 66
    Pennzoil High Mileage oil in my '94 GM with 203K miles. Reduces amount of smoke and amount of oil that is burned between changes. Still the original engine with no problems.
  • turbo301turbo301 Member Posts: 73
    "Reading back through these message boards I'M surprised that many CV and GM owners make their vehicles look like police cruisers."

Indeed, it's the only way to get respect for the Panther platform on the streets these days! :cry:

Plus, who doesn't love those little hubcaps?
    I just changed my oil this afternoon, I used ford's motor oil "motorcraft" 5w30 synthetic blend. Ill see how this oil performs. not sure who makes the oil for ford.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    what engine and HP are for the "Police Interceptor" version of the CV is???...I somehow cannot believe they have the same 4.6L, 239 HP engine I have... :shades:
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    AFAIK the Interceptor has the same HP & torque as the civilian Vics with the H&P package...

the owner's manual for my '98 P71 says something like 235HP & 275 ft/lbs...

3.55 gears, too; same as the H&P package?

Has anyone driven one of these cars with a posi in the snow? Did it actually move it in a straight line or does it still fish-tail even with both wheels spinning?
    I was toying with the idea of getting a newer Vic or GM and putting Eaton's E-Locker in it; the E-Locker lets you electronically lock the rear end at your discretion. But I think it only works at low speeds... (I don't know too much about it...)
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    For 2005/2006, CVPI has 250 hp, mainly due to better breathing from the Mercury Maurader airbox and some computer programming; the HPP/LX Sport has 239 hp.

Rear end is 3.27 in the Sport, 3.27 or 3.55 in the CVPI, depending on what is ordered.
  • jerry18jerry18 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 GM and would like to replace the current vertical bar grille with an aftermarket horizontal bar grille, but am unable to locate one. I believe that the 03, 04 and 05 OEM grilles, fit the same.
  • jerry18jerry18 Member Posts: 2
    You talk about inexpensive mods for a 50 to 75 hp gain.

What might those be and have you tried them???
    After a week I dont think I like this oil, seems my fuel economy went down. I was at 27-28 mpg. After changing oil I noticed a drop to 23-25. very interesting.
  • jj_dudejj_dude Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing my first Grand Marquis - a 1995 LS. Here's the caveat, though - it has 170K miles. At first this seemed like a ton, but the more I read about these vehicles, the more it looked like the 4.6L engine & the tranny they put in these things are just about bulletproof. This being said, is 170K too many, even for a Grand Marquis? To my knowledge, all major components on this rig are original, but it appeares that it has been well taken care of. Any input will be much appreciated!
  • crankshaftcrankshaft Member Posts: 105
    these vehicles are plentiful and good deals are common.unless you are getting this vehicle at a bargain price,i would stay clear of it.too old and too many miles in my oppinion.i would look at something with atleast half those miles.
    Even tho we hear about GM/CV going 250K or more, and they are used by taxis and police departments, 170K is still a lot of miles...I might consider a Mercedes with that many miles, and even then I might pass on the deal...

Since the GM/CV cars (sadly) depreciate like rocks, I would suggest looking for one with 50-75K miles, and can still pick up for a good price...

I would hate to trade in my 2004 CV now, 1 year old, 30K miles, $25K new...they would probably offer me $10K for it, and that would be generous... :cry::cry:
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Same engine with a more aggressive axle ratio. In Fact the 239 engine in the non-police version is a little faster because it weighs less. But the cops have flashing lights, radios and guns, so speed doesn't matter.
    I am not sure wht you mean with your post...question, or adding a comment? :confuse: :confuse:
  • money3money3 Member Posts: 1
    I've just purchased a satellite radio and I would like to run the antenna hook up through my existing radio in my 2000 Grand Marquis using a FM module relay (Switch box)
    I've read the install can be fairly easy if my car radio has RCA cable inputs.
    Just wondering if anybody may know if the 2000 Grand Marquis LS is equipped with the inputs?

Thanks for the help!
  • sadie8sadie8 Member Posts: 1
    I received the legal info also about the cracked manifold warranty situation on the Crown Victories - and I lost the document. I need to know the phone # and case # info on the letter if you still have it so I can call the phone # and see if the case has been settled because I need to get my car fixed. It has the cracks on the manifold which the letter speaks about.

Thanks
  • tbebtbeb Member Posts: 11
    I traded my '95 Cadillac Deville (which is front wheel drive) for a '02 Grand Marquis. The Grand Marquis with all season Michelins does not handle the snow as well as the Cadillac with same tires. Last night the highways were snow covered because the plows had not yet been out. Rear end started to slide a few times. Will snow tires help that much? If so, then do I need them just on the rear or on the front also, and which ones do you recommend? The roads aren't bad too many times a season. I'm wondering if should invest in snow tires, or just slow way down when the roads are bad. I live 36 miles from work and 30 of those are on the highway.
    I simply paid the dealer $25 to put my Grand Marquis on the computer and get the code. Before they did that they did look in my trunk for the code number. Previous owner must've removed it. Thanks to all who replied.
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    The consensus is that whether you have FWD, RWD or AWD, when putting on snow tires, put on 4. This way both axles will have similar traction. On RWD cars, snows on the rear only will result in "pushing" or understeer. On FWD cars, the opposite will happen. It will resl=ult in "loose" or oversteer. This may actually be more dangerous. On AWD cars, it's important for the AWD system to have similar traction at all 4 corners so the center diff doesn't go crazy when the non-snowtire axle slips more than the other one.
    Hey, tires wear anyways so just put on 4 snows and make sure you get them off before the ambient temp gets too warm.
    It is a judgement call, but I live in Ohio, and I"ve used all season tires year round. However, where I live, it is flat, and the roads around me are well plowed when it does snow. I also have traction control on my Mercury.

All I do is put 150 lbs of sand tubes in the trunk, on the shelf, and pay attention. I remove them when I don't think I'll need them, as the extra wieght in the back does make the steering feel slightly different.

That being said, I will be getting the best all season tires for snow I can find when the Goodyear Eagle LS wear out - I'm leanings towards Goodyear TripleTreds. I don't feel I need the hassle of snowtires for the amount of snow we get.
    I agree it's each to his/her own. Your arguments seem to make sense for your situation. I drive alot and where I live in NJ, the conditions are hilly and the temperature causes sow and ice conditions. However, I know many people who have used all season tires very successfully for years.
    I recently traded a '95 Deville for a '02 Grand Marquis. Both ran Michelin Symetry tires. They were great on the front wheel drive Cadillac. They are Terrible on the Grand Marquis. I live in Northwest Indiana, and we get a moderate amount of snow. Can different tires greatly improve ride and handling, both on dry and snow covered roads? (If not then I bought the wrong car.) I'm thinking of buying some Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. Has anyone run these on a Grand Marquis or another big, rear wheel drive? If not, then have you switched tires on a Grand Marquis or another big, rear wheel drive, and noticed a big improvement? Thanks in advance.
    I'm replying to my own post because I bought 4 winter dedicated tires this morning at the Tire Rack store in South Bend. Bridgestone Blizzak Rev 1's on new black painted wheels--mounted and balanced and installed--$611. I've got 4 Michelin Symetry's on wheels, so come Spring I'll just swipe them myself.
    Great choice. My last car was a 2001 CV and I had Blizzak WS-50's on it for 4 winters. She was unstoppable. You'll never regret your decision.
  • firstforkjimfirstforkjim Member Posts: 4
    I too run Blizzak WS-50 on four steel winter wheels on GM through PA winters. Not only will your winter tires perform better, you will feel more confident driving in snow and ice conditions.
    Different climates, snow conditions, drive train, and quality of driver are some of the factors determining what to mount on which wheels.

My first experience was in a '39 Chev Master Deluxe with 6:00 X 16 bias ply tires. In my desire to get to the ski areas w/o other tires, I soon learned how to drive on slick mountain roads with what was on the car.

Since then and with the radial tires, I've relied on the Michelin All Season while shunning the Alpine line. Once while parked at Mt. Bachelor in two feet of fresh snow on the ground I warmed up the car, loaded it with passengers, skis, boots, poles and wine jugs, put it in Second and gradually pressed on the gas pedal. The '67 Ford Country Sedan slowly crawled out of the 2 feet of snow without spinning any rear wheel. Michelins then and Michelins now.

In climbing the Cascades & Rockies on compact snow and ice, the All Season tires work just fine. If I need snow tires, I hang iron. Rear wheel drive going up hill is preferred as gravity shifts the weight rearward.

For me, successful snow driving is being patient and do everything s l o o o w l y.

IMO studded tires tear up the road and should be taxed accordingly. 4WD and AWD give the novice driver a false sense of security and the closer the wheelbase, the more the vehicle spins like a top. Merry Christmas! :)
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    does anyone know if there is a company out there that will modify a grand marquis or crown v.

more power
    better/custom seats or recaros
    dashboard
    suspension
    ultimate paint job

the objective is to make it into a great handler with power. what the maurauder could have been but was not.

looking for the name of acompany that will modify extensively

thank you
    Kenny Brown in Indianapolis.

http://www.kennybrown.com/
    Kenny is the best and most expensive.

Plan to keep your KB at least ten years after he is finished with it. :D
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    will checl kb out.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let us know how it goes - it would be great to have a member post a story about a Kenny Brown job! ;)
    My beautiful '94 GM with almost 204k miles has bitten the dust, according to my mechanic. The other day it suddenly starting leaking a great deal of oil, just as we were preparing to leave on a 3 hour trip! Luckily I also have a brand-new Toyota Camry to use. I took the GM to the shop today and they gave me the bad news that it is "terminal", unless I want to put in another engine. Well, the car is not worth that kind of money, so I guess it's bye-bye to my baby. I don't remember the exact details of the problem, but I've been using this shop for about a dozen years and I trust them when they say there's nothing else that can be done. Now I don't know what to do with the car. In bringing it home from the shop and driving it into the garage, it's spraying oil everywhere! I don't itemize my taxes, so I won't get any benefit to donating it (except satisfaction!). I also don't expect to get much response to advertising it for sale. Anybody got any ideas? I don't want to renew the insurance in February, so I have until then to figure something out. What a depressing piece of news this has been! :cry:
  • kgaskinskgaskins Member Posts: 1
    We have this same problem. Can you provide any information on what the problem was and how to correct? Also, did your brake lights stop working also? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    If it is drivable, it must merely be an oil leak. Now, if the main seal blew, then I can see it would be pricey to fix.

I'd be tempted to invest the money in a newer Grand Marquis, though I have to say the newer ones are not as comfortable as the older, softer ones. I would guess if everything works, someone would give you a few hundred for it.
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    You could try contacting a local trade school or vocational/technical school who has an auto mechanics program. Many times they will fix your car and all you have to do is supply the parts. If it can be fixed - great! Squeeze a few more miles out of it. If it's really dead and you don't want to fool with selling parts or trying to sell a broken down car, then just give it to the school.
    It is time for a Second Opinion from a different and qualified mechanic.

A loose oil filter could be the cause of hemorrhaging engine oil and that's a $5 fix. A rear seal is worth fixing, but I don't think it would be spraying oil if that was it.

I just have doubts your GM is terminal & wonder what your 1st mechanic specifically said caused the leak.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I agree with the others - get a second opinion. If it lost most of the oil and was driven until the engine locked up, I might agree it is terminal. However, if you just have a massive oil leak, find out what is leaking before you say bye-bye. Please call the shop that gave you the bad news and ask them specifically what they found. Let us know and we can offer better suggestions.

If you drive it to another shop, make sure you check the dipstick before you go. If would be nice if someone could check it out where it sits so you don't have to drive it if it is leaking that badly.
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    You are so right about the filter. I changed my own oil in a ford pickup I once owned. One day I noticed it was leaking oil pretty badly. I crawled under to have a look and discovered that the gasket from the old oil filter had come off the filter when I removed it. It was between the new filter and the engine block and was allowing oil to get out.

Also, leaving the filler cap off or very loose can cause oil to blow everywhere, especially if the oil pours in right over the camshaft. That was one of the biggest messes I've ever had to clean up.
    For those who have had to replace their intake manifolds on their 4.6 check out this link.It's time ford paid for the defective intakes.

http://www.fordmanifoldsettlement.com/
    Well, I mentioned my oil leak problem in my '94 GM to a friend of mine who works on old cars. Must have been fate! He is good friends with a mechanic not far away and he told the mechanic about my predicament. I took the car to this guy the other day and was flabbergasted to learn that $95 would fix it! Apparently it needed a new oil filter gasket assembly. Hopefully I can get some more miles from my baby after all. I had cleaned out the car, had my title with me, and was all set to go from the mechanic's to the salvage yard with it and let it go. I just knew I didn't want it back in my driveway/garage with all that oil leaking. I still can't believe it. Now it's all washed up and looking good again. Still smokes like a chimney, though, but mostly when it's first given some gas. The mechanic kind of shook his head when he talked about the smoking and I think he thought I was loony to want to fix it so badly with 204k miles on it. He just doesn't understand how much I've loved this car. So now the question is -- do I take this second chance and try to sell the car now for what I can get, or just hold onto it as a second car until it does die? My husband said if we keep it, and it does eventually give out, just let it go and "Don't cry over spilled oil!". At least he has a sense of humor about it. ;)
    if it were me,i would continue to drive it.keep an eye on the oil.if it were a cat,it used six lives with three to go.this car might surprise you and go quite a bit further.since it has little monetary value,run it till it stops.
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Anyone offer the Marauder rear spoiler? Looking at a recent GM LS and wanted to "spiff" it up a little. When I bought my Intrigue back in 99, I liked the spoiler and bought the only one they had on the lot with one. Really makes the car look better.

Thinking of some upgrades like American Torque-Thrust wheels, "subtle" flowmasters and duals to set me apart form the blue-hairs tooling around here (West Central Florida). No insult intended....

Deke
    Marauder spoiler was a dealer installed option, but it was an official Ford accessory. My suggestion is to get the part number, and then shop around for one.

I know they came in primer, black, and and blue pearl.

For the exhaust, I have an LSE, which came with a factory dual exhaust, so all I did was add chrome tips.

Ditto on the wheels on the LSE prior to 2002 - they look good, so I kept them stock.
  • ibleedblueibleedblue Member Posts: 1
    In reply to ragdollgirl's Grand Marquis, it is a very easy fix to stop your smoking on take-off. The 4.6 v-8 had a problem with valve seals shrinking and leeting oil by them causing oil burning. Replacing the valve seals on this motor is relatively simple and should not be terribly expensive. I would say that if the rest of your car is in good condition it would be worth it to have them replaced, as the 4.6 will easily last another 100,000 miles. These motors have a history of running reliably to well over 300,000 miles, my last one a 1996 Crown vic wich is now owned by a friend currently has 263,000 miles and going strong! My current Grand Marquis is just breaking in at 85,000 miles. P.S. The valve seal design was changed for the 1996 model year and is no longer a problem.
    With 122k on our 4.6 I found it helps reduce oil past seals by modifying the engine oil to weight of 12.5/40.

I mix 50% 15/50 to 50% 10/30 (Mobil 1 synthetic) as I've not seen Mobil 1 10/40 on the shelf. At highway speeds it goes for 1200 miles before adding a quart.

Good to know these engines go for :) over 300k miles as I'm not interested in a new TC until Ford comes out with a new body design - all while I still admire the '04 XJ8!