Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis

Comments

• danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    Let me start by saying that I really enjoy this
    thread after reading it for a really long time.
    I like the duo Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, and could've gotten one last April. Instead, however,
    I purchased a Mercury Sable s. w. for reasons of
    having to drive in NY City a place where parking
    is at a premium.

But the reason I ask this question here is that
    no one bothered to answer my question in the Mercury Sable thread. Also I appreciate the level of expertise in this thread.

As for my question,last Saturday while picking
    up my car from the shop after having it
    serviced (5000 miles scheduled maintenance) the
    technician told me that the fuel lines were clogged. I was in such hurry that I forgot to ask what may have caused the clogging.

Would you know the possible causes for it, did you ever have it in your cars, and if so, what did you do to prevent the condition from occurring again?

Thank you all and I appologize for the length of the post.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    was it running poorly when you brought it in? I thought all they did at 5k was change oil... I didn't know the mechanics would do anymore than they were asked to do... (like check fuel lines)

p.s. - is your motor the Duratech? what kind of mileage are you getting?
    iusecad: It was indeed running a bit poorly when I dropped it off; it seemed not to have the pep that it had before. This is sation wagon LS Premium with the Duratech engine loaded except for
    CD changer and moonroof. Never owned I car with so much engine power.

The first 5000 mile service entails: lube
    and filter, tire rotation and topping fluid levels, according to Ford.

Gas mileage last time I checked was 15.5 MPG in 70% city, 30% highway driving. I've been checking gas mileage since I bought the car. Sometimes it
    gives me 18 and at other times I get 20 MPG depending on whether I drive more highway than city, my own driving habits and whether I get stuck in stop and go traffic.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    How low do you let the gas tank get before you fill up? (I confess, mine sometimes lives below 1/4 tank! I'm evil!) Anyway, if your tank gets too low, you run the risk of picking up any crud that may have settled to the bottom of the tank over the years. (Although your car is, from what I gather, fairly new!) And again, you may have simply gotten ahold of some bad gas.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I would bank on a bad tank of gas. The only other thing it could be is dirt in the system when it was delivered. That is unlikely, and would probably be impossible to prove.
    rea98d: I always always fill up as soon as the needle hits 1/4 tank because I don't want to dig
    up dirt from the bottom of the tank. I've been
    using Amoco 87 octane regular unleaded as
    recommended by Ford.

jsylvester: It could've been bad gas. It may've
    had dirt in the system upon delivery too. I was
    extremely dissatisfied with the purchasing experience. Upon delivery the car had a bump on
    the door and the glass in the windows was scratched. I had them repair the bump but didn't
    bring it back to buff the glass. So I wouldn't
    be surprised if the fuel lines were dirty.
    I do know that this wagon was manufactured in
    January 2000 and I got it at the end of April of
    the same year with 50 miles on the odometer.
    Could a car that sits for some three months on a
    lot develop problems such as mine?

By the way, At the time I came very close to buying the Merc GM instead. A beauty indeed!
  • russmcrussmc Member Posts: 3
    My friend owns and loves his '93 and is thinking about replacing it later this year. Will there be a 2002 Marquis or CrnVic? Please respond to my e-mail address....Thanks!
  • johnbonojohnbono Member Posts: 80
    Ford intends to keep both the platform for the Crown Vic and the Grand Marquis around until at least 2007. They *may*(and that's a big may) drop the Crown Vic for consumer sales, but the car will stick around for quite awhile in its current form.
  • dayton2dayton2 Member Posts: 5
    I recently had my new Grand Marquis GS back to the dealer for what I feel is a vibration in the steering wheel at speeds after 45 mph. They said it is coming from the engine, not the tires (as originally suspected) and it is common in this particular model. (They compared it to a similar one on their lot; no traction control or special handling pkg.) Has anyone else noticed this? I had a Crown Vic prior and never had this problem. It kinda wiggles, especially when hitting any road bumps. Is this normal for GM's?
  • brisco2brisco2 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a CV— You say that you've never had a car with such engine power? Are we talking about the 4.6L ? weakling motor? the only car I ever had like this was a 1970 model Police interceptor with the 428 PI engine— rated at 460 hp. Still the thing would not ever burn rubber. Not at all. But it would pass 160 mph. Fords always suffer from the tall axel ratios the factory loves. Most of the comments on this page are from people wanting the Police package cos they want more power. The best cure is to change the rear gears! Is there a different motor for the GM or the LX version? Ford's web site crashes my browser every time— if you get to the CV site. My 90' Mustang 225 hp won't spin a tire either. But my Dodge intrepid will— almost as much as my old carero. Now I need a big strong car. question is— is that the CV? less power than the Buick regal. the Lincoln LS is an option— it's at least got 255 hp— But cost a lot more. But I'm worried about the tranny problems I read about on the CV. I hate to buy a car I've heard bad things about. please E-Mail me any comments- I can't be sure I can find my way back here!
  • skipper10skipper10 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis in great shape, and one week later found your chat room with plastic manifold problems being discussed...Does anyone have this car that has not had a cracked intake, and at what miles did the problems occur with those of you who did have the problem? Thought I was getting a reliable car, had researched reliability records, all that I found were no problems with this car..Please advise..thank you.
  • dmallinderdmallinder Member Posts: 35
    I worked in autoglass manufacturing and distribution for 6 years so I'm very familiar with the instaclear availability issue.

Ford ( Carlite ) stopped making these in I believe 1997 or early 1998. They were not ultrapopular but the regular distributors quickly sold out of them. It generated a lot of complaints but Carlite were in cost cutting mode at the time - pre spin off - and could not be persuaded.

A couple of (wholesale ) places who tend to hoard more unusual windshields would be Mygrant Glass ( based in the West and Southwest ) or Iowa Glass ( in Iowa believe it or not ). Either of them can ship and your local autoglass shop should be familiar with both of them. Forget about the dealers - they won't be able or interested in trying to get a discontinued part ). However if not insured full glass be prepared to pay the premium a discontinued rarity always brings.

If they can't help you junkyards are a remote but possible alternative

Incidentally if you do have to go for an unheated one ( very possible unfortunately - I've been out of the business two years and they were tricky then ) make sure whoever does the work changes the wiring too - Ford had a TSB on it IIRC.
  • russmcrussmc Member Posts: 3
    I heard a rumor that the 2002 will have a 'COMPLETELY NEW' look. Not just minor trim changes. Anyone know??....Thanks
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    That would be good news indeed, if true. This body style is getting to look so dated - having been around since '92. CV/GM needs to get an 'edge' as opposed to this 90's rounding that has just become yawningly boring.

Buckets and floor shifter would be a nice option too - perhaps the Sport model seen at the LA auto show would be available.

Just my opinion

Ken
    Actually, I hope they *don't* produce the sport model, because if they do you can bet you aunt lou that they'll never make the Marauder. (Anything "sport" on these cars needs at least a 5.4 or the 320 horse DOHC Cobra 4.6)
  • bruce53bruce53 Member Posts: 1
  • swong1swong1 Member Posts: 14
    skipper10: Ford is presently still trying to get a handle on this problem. According to what is posted on the various sites they will be coming out with their third attempt of addressing this intake. When the problem occurs the crack usually starts directly in back of the alternator rendering the vehicle undriveable. The 3rd reworked intake I was informed will be the addition of an added aluminum sleeve bonded to the revised plastic resin intake thereby adding the strength necessary to take the ongoing heating/thaw cycles the car accumulates throught out the years. There is a TSB issued (program 97M91) but is hardly advertised unless owners press the issue with their dealer. The replacement part presently has gone up in pricing (like everything else with Ford) but the part is relatively cheap simply because the majority of the expenses is the labor in removing the fuel rails, coils and plugs. Typically the experience mech can perform this r/r in under 3 hours but prepared for a few days for those not tenured at the dealship. The bad news is when the crack occurs you are typically very far from home making this very stressful. Ford does not pay for the tow and the majority of the dealers fight "tooth and nail" in not honoring this unadvertised TSB. If you pay a visit to your local taxi garage you can see the huge number of intakes that have been replaced. The good news is with the exception of this garbage intake the 4.6L sohc is a joy to own and operate.
    Does that plastic intake manifold fail after 2 or 3 years in typical northern climates or does it take longer (or is it more a function of miles driven)?

Ken
  • bakertankbakertank Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a new 1999 CV LX with 400 miles on it. Could anyone tell me where I can find more info on the intake manifolds? Is it mainly a 1997 problem, or has it continued into the later models?

Thanks
  • torodavetorodave Member Posts: 27
    Here's a thought: Anyone know whether the aftermarket (e.g., Edlebrock, Holley, Weiand) offers a hi-perf. intake manifold that will fit this engine? If so, it would be aluminium, and therefore, more robust. You could get the double benefit of longer life and extra ponies! I'm waiting for the '02's to come out before i make my purchase decision, so it'll be interesting to see the suspected new design. On the weekend, I looked at a Spruce green GM LS with tan leather, P/H pkg., luxury group, CD changer, and full-size spare. List price? $41,000, plus 15% tax! That's $47,150 out the door! Beautiful car, but I'll have to wait for the end of season deals before I buy, and maybe skip a few options (but will go for P/H).
    The TSB covers all the 4.6L sohc's from 92 through 97 model year vehicles. These engines typically are in Crown Victoria Grand Marquis, Thunderbird/cougars and finally the town cars. The problematic intakes typically experience what is called heat/thaw fatigue which is an accumulative damage as the vehicle undergoes each and every time the plastic resin intakes heats up from the engine being used then finally cooling down after the engine is shut off. Keep in mind the 4.6L engine was released in the 1992 model year and to date no one in the aftermarket makes a replacement other than the one ford sources from it's supplier. Plastic resin was used during the design stages since a cooler incoming charge of air is beneficial to maximum combustion of the air/fuel charge. The Ford engineers also elected to use non metal simply because it would cut down on vehicle weight to improve the CAFE results mandated by the government. Nothing much anyone can do to prolong the longevity of the intakes other than to stay vigilent stress cracks and the dreaded plume of white smoke as the coolant eveporates after contact with the exhaust manifold and other hot engine parts.
  • R92688R92688 Member Posts: 7
    SWONG1: I read your last message indicating that the TSB covers 92 through 97 engines. Why? My 95 has a aluminum intake manifold. From previous postings, the bulletin only covered 96 and 97 model years. Thanks.
    Congratulations R92688 you are one of the select few fortunate enough to have a non plastic intake but for the rest of us not as fortunate that is why Ford's Technical Service Bulletin 97M91 was issued. In your post you neglected to mention what you were driving and since I cannot read minds lately you might want to visit your local Ford dealer and query them on this TSB. Pay special note the "97M91" which I decipher to be model years after 91 and pre 98 which makes a lot of sense since the '91 model year CV was the last year they used the 5-liter 302 block and starting with the model year 98 they used the second revision of the dreaded intake which is now undergoing it's third revision starting in year 2001). You might also want to visit www.corral.net/forums/ and you will get a good taste of Ford quality!
    how did you find a '99 Vic with only 400 miles? was it parked behind an Excursion in some dealers lot for 2 years? ;)
  • R92688R92688 Member Posts: 7
    SWONG1: I have a 95 Crown Vi LX with 99500 miles on the odometer. It was a 1 year old program car with 36K on it when I picked it up. The only problem on it was squeaking brakes which I had corrected with new front rotors and pads. My car is not equipped with the H/P options, but I had added cat-back dual turbos (not too loud, but nice sounding)and stiffen the suspension for handling and added a trans cooler. To breath better, I had removed the air cone silencer. Its hard to beat the comfort that the Vi offers and performance and safety. The dual exhaust increased my mpg to 19 in city and 24 on highway. Of course, my car is standard equipped with the 2.73 differential, but it has no problem smoking the wheels. While I'm not young, I do enjoy my 90's muscle car.
    I had always admired the CV for its service durability.
    I couldn't believe it myself! I was at the dealer and test drove a 2000 and a 1997 and wasn't really happy with either one. As the salesman and I were walking inside, I noticed TWO '99 CV's sitting in a line of F-150 trucks. They were in plain view, not hidden! I walked over, noticed that one was just what I wanted: Dark Green LX, Handling package, lumbar support, ABS, and NEW!!
    They immediately dropped 5000 off the sticker plus offered me $1000 for my rusty 1986 Suburban.
    I countered with an offer of $18000 bottom line, and we finally agreed on $18400 including all taxes, fees, etc. The only reason I can see that they still had it is because most people would rather spend a few thousand more for a 2001, but I am perfectly happy with this one! It actually drives better than the 2000 I drove.

And.... they have one more still on the lot! It does not have the handling package but it is an LX.
    What a great find! Best wishes to you for many many satisfying years of CV ownership.

Ken
  • skipper10skipper10 Member Posts: 5
    swong1...much appreciate information, now I know what it is like to be "between a hard place and a rock" as the saying goes. I am concerned about being stranded..as the improved reinforced parts come out,will they fit on the 97 since they will be designed for later years? This car handles well, and we were pleased with it..2001 Consumer's Report still states the 97 and 98 Grand Marquis cars are reliable cars, and have the engine listed as needing no repairs.Maybe their editors should read Edmunds Town Hall! At least when the intake manifold "blows" we will have a clue to what has happened.
    wow! I could've bought a '99 Vic without the P/H package and with 19k miles on it for $18k... and I thought that was a good deal... I guess it was your lucky day!
  • kinleykinley Member Posts: 854
    location of the dealer with one brand new 99 CV LX and Thank you.
    EVerything I've heard or read says the plastic manifolds are only on the 1996 & up cars. I know this is the case with the Thunderbird/Cougar, as mine is a 1995 and has the aluminum manifold. Also, the plastic intake is supposedly good for a few more horsepower than the metal ones. I have yet to see a 1995 or earlier car, (or even hear of one) with a metal manifold. I have also yet to find an aftermarket manifold for the 4.6, but I'll keep looking.
    according to the Feb. 12 issue of Autoweek, they say the Marauder is a go for summer of 2002 as a 2003 model... also it says the 4.6 is expected to produce more than 300hp. No mention of price, but I'm sure I won't be able to afford it... :(
  • jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    Ordered this car from dealer and it still looks like it drove right off the factory line. Starting to have a slight problem and am not sure if it's a trany or throttle misfunction. Car goes through the gears fine, but letting off the gas causes a miss or bit of a jerky feel with no noise. Know this car is getting on in years, but it's worth keeping for another 50,000 miles. It's a "one of a kind" as it came from the factory with a Mercury Marquis logo on one side and Crown Victoria logo on the other. Really makes people look twice.
  • jetx55jetx55 Member Posts: 1
    CREAKING NOISES FRONT 2000 GMC
    ANYONE KNOW OF THIS PROBLEM
    your car is a rare Forcury Crown Marquis...
  • dukecdukec Member Posts: 2
    Gentlemen,

I have a 96 GM with 70K on her and she runs great. I have developed a braking issue that centers around abrupt grabbing of the rotors or it seems. If I brake softly to a stop there seems to be no issue, but under load, the brakes grab abruptly like someone was slamming on the brakes full force. Midas couldn't duplicate and sure enough when I took her off their lot and was heading down the highway, I needed to brake for suddenly for some stopped traffic and right about when I was coming to a complete stop the brakes grabbed again put Juniors milk bottle on the floor. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated as I head for the Merc. dealer on Tuesday and expect to get reamed as usual.

Also, is there a way to tell if the manifold in your car has already been repaired or replaced. Plastic? Hmmm

Thanks
  • yonsei93yonsei93 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 99 CM with 33000miles. Every time I run over a little bump on the road the car squeaks under the hood. At first I thought it was the suspension but it wasn't. Then I checked underneath the car. Any ideas what seems to be a problem?? I think it is the hood. Is there anyway to tighten it? Any ideas ??
    have you checked the hood bumpers that keep the hood flush with the fenders? maybe they just need some tweaking...
    What kind of shape are your plugs and wires in? I thought the transmission in my T-Bird was dying when all it needed was a tuneup. Good luck.
  • jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    The car will go in for a check-up this week. Hopefully it will be a simple fix.

It's amazing to me that this car: 1. Was ordered from a dealer in Wisconsin, 2. Most of the parts were made in Mexico, 3. Came off an assembly line in Canada, 4. Has the mixed logos of Crown Victoria/Mercury Marquis on the sides....AND YET the book value has a $1000 difference!!
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Try greasing the hood latch. It may be rubbing there.
  • dwight53dwight53 Member Posts: 19
    I read two other posts about this problem, but saw no answers. After a long ride on previous day, but when car is cold, my 2000 CV with 54,000 miles (and handling pkg) keeps stalling out. Must hold gas pedal down about 1" to keep it running. It has done this about 10 times now. Took it to dealer and they couldn't find anything, blamed it on key which was mis-coded. But problem came back. Anyone have any ideas???
  • ford551ford551 Member Posts: 5
    I just ordered a new CV LX with handling pkg, dual exhaust, Comfort Plus group, with digital dash, ATC air, leather seats and steering wheel, prem. radio, ABS and traction control. I should get the unit around April 1. What can I expect?
    Kinley,

Sorry for the late reply, but I've had computer problems. The dealer is Carman Ford in Wilmington, Delaware. Call 302-323-2300. The salesman is Barry. It's a '99LX with cloth, no handling package.
    When the pedal is at idle, the throttle body is totally closed and another valve, the idle air control valve,is opened by the computer to control the idle airflow. Perhaps it is sticking closed.

My 92 Grand Marquis had one sticking open(lots of carbon on the shaft) and with my foot off the gas it went 60 mph! What fun!

Try tapping on the idle air control valve and see if it idles okay. It's on top of the engine on the LH side just behind the plastic cover on top of the engine. Just a thought...
    Try STP Fuel injector cleaner (no affiliation) or a comperable product. Sounds like you may not be getting enough fuel
    my '90 Vic did the same thing! well, mine would only hold 35mph, but its still hard on the ol' brakes...
  • dwight53dwight53 Member Posts: 19
    thanks for the tips, will try both of them
  • ltd86ltd86 Member Posts: 1
    My 85 Crown Vic wagon won't start. It trys to start, but it won't. I can't tell what engine the car has. I'm assuming it has the 5.8, because when I pulled one of the plugs to replace it, the plug was for the 351. But the car's vin says it is supposed to have the 302. I've checked the plug wires, the coil, and I replaced the ignition module on the distributor. But when I bought the ignition module, I bought it one for a 302. Is it possible that the ignition module is my problem? If somebody could help me with this, it would be appreciated.
    Your car has the 302, I'm pretty sure. I think 1978 was the last year for the 351 in the Crown Vic. Anyway, the fact that more than one engine takes the same spark plugs is no surprise to me. You'd be surprised at the amount of parts sharing that goes on in Ford cars. (I found interior lights in my 1995 T-Bird that are identical to the ones in my 1978 Grand Marquis).
    BTW, how did you know the plug was for a 351?
    As far as no start, an engine needs 3 things to run, Fuel, Spark, and Compression.
    Spark: Are the plugs good? What kind of shape are the cap & rotor in?
    Fuel: Is it water/other contaminants in the gas? Is your car carburated or fuel injected? Is it getting fuel to the carb/injectors? Are your injectors clogged? Is your fuel pump working? When was the fuel filter last replaced?
    Compression: Have a mechanic run a compression check. Did the car burn any oil? (Oil on spark plugs, bluish-white smoke from the exhaust) Did it get less than 10 MPG highway? Was the engine loosing power as it got older?