Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Audio

Comments

• jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    It normally take two to tango. In this case, the hissing sound. It is the product of Head Unit + Bose Amp.

Just for fun, find a another Black Toe head unit that is either in the Buick Lucern or Chevy Tahoe and stick in the Impala (with the Impala Bose) and see what would happen? And vice versa, use this Impala head unit inside another GM vehicle w/o Bose Amp.

jt
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Nope. No hiss. Perhaps I'm deaf. Seriously, no hiss at all.
    I'll quit while I'm ahead. Don't have the hiss but I do have a sreeching noise when the power window goes down. Had the problem on the front passenger side -it is a rubber piece inside that scrapes against the window as it goes down. The dealer replaced the piece. Now it is happening on the driver window. Before I get 12k on this car (it is cheaper before 12k) I'm getting the GM Protection Package -100k- 6 years -0 deductible.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    dispencer1, I don't know how closely you've been following my posts but we have three '06 Impalas in my family. My nephew has a 2LT and he's having problems with something scratching the window. I will be visiting him this week and I'll share specifics of his issue once I see it. It seems to be a common problem for glass to rub something while being rolled up/down. So far, I just hear what sounds like glass on metal but no visible scratching. I'll keep you posted. :)
    I have the info off of my speakers and my nephews. Also, took a closer look at the amp in my SS. The amp has Bose molded in the metal casing on the left side as relative to the car. It's on the opposite side from the plugs. My SS speakers have Indonesia stamped on them along with the part (same as yours) and I think serial number (similar to yours). My nephew's basic "Black Tie" speakers have Mexico stamped on them. My sister's car supposedly has nothing stamped on them but I think she needs new glasses. :D Please take another look at your amp to see if you have the same one. Thanks again! ;)
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    What is the wattage of the amplifier?

Are the Bose "premium" speakers of paper cone construction or are they made of something else like polypropylene?

Thanks.
    Apparentely a piece of rubber down in the door folds when the window goes up and doesn't fold back down when the window goes down. The window makes a loud screeching noise going down. I was concerned when it first happened on the passenger side because I didn't want something to scratch the window but the bark is worse than the bite. The Chevy dealer will replace the piece on the driver's side next week when it comes in. It is a long piece of plastic and I guess rubber. After you wash the car or it rains the noise goes away.
    I've got the same amp. The speakers are the same as yours. Perhaps they say "Bose" someplace I can't see.
    Thanks again. I'm not sure if Indonesian speaker production is better than Mexican but I do like the performance for the most part....as long as I have the music loud. Talk radio and low volume listening is a bit annoying. :(
  • omargpgomargpg Member Posts: 1
    Im looking to buy a radio with Mp3 of an Impala 2003 , my question is if it will fit and work in my 2000 impala, the 2003 radio does not have the RDS logo on the diplay so what do you think???
    If the new radio does not have RDS logo on it, then it is likely that option is not available for that particular radio. Are you sure the 2003 radio has MP3 option? If it has it, there should be a logo for it. The new radio (if it is for 2003 Impala) should be compatible to your 2000 vehicle since the connectors are the same. GM 2003 Siverado ' radios also share the same styling with the Impala's but they have different guts and have different interface

jt
    I just wanted to re-visit this issue since we are near the end of the '06 production cycle. So far, only one ownder of an Impala with the Bose six-cd changer has not had an issue with noise/distortion. Are there any new readers out there with input, positive or negative?

Thanks!
  • rsg21rsg21 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased my new 2006 Impala, and loved it until I started hearing the hiss the next day. I have the same BOSE setup as everyone else. I did notice today that when I put it on AM and turn the volume to 1 that I didn't hear the sound, as soon as I switched the band to XM or FM it came back. Its a little upsetting to know AM sounds better than the others. My manufacture date was 10/05.

Has there been any fixes found out there yet?

Shawn
    Shawn,
    I have talked to the local dealership owner, sales manager, and service manager. They have promised to look into the issue. I recently noticed that the hiss is louder with XM and much quieter with CDs. I have yet to experiment with FM and AM. I'll follow up if I find anything.
    Folks, There's a post on the 2006+ forum with a new TSB that addresses the Bose static/hiss problem. It's post #1744 and the web address for the TSB is:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/General-Motors/1148281200000_1149750000000_06-08-44-0- - 19/index.html

I have already contacted my local dealer and will post any news here. I'm very enthusiastic! :)
  • dpannazzodpannazzo Member Posts: 2
    I installed an aftermarket unit in my 2000 Implala.
    I relocated the factory radio to the trunk where there is a connector for it that may be for the CD changer. I spliced the wires into the harness for the new radio using only the wires needed for the new radio. This allowed me to keep all the chimes and reset the the message center when need be.
    Everything worked fine except for the steering wheel controls for the radio.
    Folks, I visited the dealership today and the service manager is ordering a new amp for my Bose system. Supposed to take a day once it's ordered but the system was down so I will wait a little longer. More to follow once I have it.
    Hope it works,.. I was never able to get that link to work so I couldn't read the TSB, I am assuming it talked about replacing the amp?
  • hose1cookhose1cook Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 SS that I bought last September, never had the hissing radio but the CD changer stopped working a few months ago. I took it to the dealer and they ordered a new radio which took forever to come in. They installed it last friday and now I have a horible hissing sound on all bands plus whenever you use the turn signals. It's going back as soon as I have time and I'll post the outcome, thanks.
    The TSB calls for replacing the amp. hose1cook, it sounds like you are now in the same situation the rest of us are in. Interestingly, you say you had the head unit (changer) replaced but the TSB references the amp. Please update us once you take action. It will be interesting to see if there are two components contributing to the problem.

rsg31, the TSB number is 06-08-44-019. Your dealer's service department should be able to reference it for you. The symptoms listed are hiss/distortion with radio muted or off and turn signals activated. It doesn't mention door chimes or hazard signals but the same symptom exists with them too. The hiss is also present with CD but at a lower level (in my case). When talking to your service manager, be sure to mention the exact symptoms in the TSB. Since I didn't mention turn signals, my service manager thought this TSB didn't apply to me. That further convinces me that even though service managers are at the top of the service/repair chain, they don't necessarily understand everything about the vehicles that they repair.

By the way, my service manager called today and the amp isn't available locally so I will have to wait for the part to come from Lansing, MI. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a high priority since it won't be here until Monday. So, another week with premium Bose hiss but I'll manage.
    I called Chevrolet today before I called the dealership to make sure I wouldn't get the run around, and I couldn't get Chevrolet customer service to find that TSB. They said it didn't exist. Anyone else having that problem? I am going to call the service dept on monday but I don't want to play any games with them.
    Sadly, I'm not surprised that Chevy customer service didn't find the TSB. I've been using the online services with OnStar, mygmlink, etc. and those systems don't talk to each other like you would think. The OnStar monthly report showed my VIN but mygmlink claimed it wasn't in the system. The OnStar report still shows I need the ABS recall service but I had that done two months ago. As for TSBs and recalls, none of them appear on third party sites yet. I assumed a lot about the internet age but it doesn't really apply to automotive service...at least not Chevy at this point in time.
  • rriehl71rriehl71 Member Posts: 4
    I have an '06 Impala with the .MP3 radio and 6-CD in dash radio. I am looking for an instruction manual for the radio... is there one online somewhere?
    There seems to be a lot more functions available on the radio then what the vehicle's owner's manual shows.

For example, when I press the EQ button - The only choices are TALK and MANUAL. One would think that there has to be more choices than just those, like for example ROCK, DISCO, etc.

Could someone let me know where I could find the manual for this radio?

Thank You!
    rriehl71, First off, your ID is uncanny. If it's based on your name, it's very close to my name. :)

I tried searching the web for an owner's manual but couldn't find anything. If you'd like to try, the system is called US9. I found many references to options lists but no manual. My dealer photo-copied a brochure they were given to help familiarize themselves and customers but it doesn't have much detail. I'm not 100% sure the US9 automatically upgrades to the Bose premium sound system but I think it does. Can you tell me if your system is the Bose premium sound? The next (head-unit)level down (US8), has the EQ presets like you mentioned. With Bose, talk and manual are the only options and they are band specific, i.e. if you listen to an AM talk show and choose talk, all AM stations will be played in talk unless you switch it. Pretty silly, actually, especially since XM has all formats.

I've been able to figure out most of the radio controls but I'm still familiarizing myself with the MP3 disk settings. Rather than describe what I know here, I'll wait and see if you'd like any info and I'll share it if you do. Good luck! :)

Just curious, do you notice any background hiss with your stereo? Many of us have that problem and it's most noticeable with the stereo volume low (less than 50%). Also, you can hear it with the radio off and the turn signals, hazard lights, or door chimes. The hiss sound remains for about 2 seconds after the last turn/hazard signal "tick" or door chime. It makes it difficult to listen to radio bands at low volume.
    Yes! My id is based off of my name ;)

I do have to Bose premium system and it is really nice I like it a lot. I have not heard the hiss that you speak about but I've only had the vehicle for 2 days.

One problem that happened just tonight, out of the blue my CD player can no longer read any of the discs. It was reading them fine yesterday and earlier today but now I just get "DISC ERROR" no error code or anything. I guess I'll be stopping by the dealer this week for them to look at it.

Arrggghhh..
    Well, I got my car back about 30 minutes ago and the hiss is about 90% gone. Had I never had the problem, I probably would've never noticed the tiny amount of hiss that remains. One suggestion for anyone else who gets this work done, write down your radio presets. I had FINALLY gotten my presets the way I like them and *poof*, they're all gone. I should've known but it didn't cross my mind. Other than that, nothing but praise for my dealership. They really came through for me. :D :shades:
    First, does anyone know of a replacement radio that will fit in the same spot as the current one in the 06 Impala SS?

Second, is there a website that lists all of the TSB's for this vehicle?

Thanks
  • 06fasst06fasst Member Posts: 48
    we seem to be having allot of the same issues my amp is coming in tomorrow and my seat squeaks too but it is very sporatic. which seat did they determin sqeaks? the drivers seat? this is a very annoying sqeak and i have not been able to determin it. let me know what yu think, also why did you not have the radiator hose tsb done you should check that issue out, i too have that one as well. so needless to say it is going back for that too as well as some hvac repramming issues per the gm tis website, anyhowtry turing you chime volume to high in settings and let us know if that hiss is back!
  • pete57701pete57701 Member Posts: 7
    Thats great news quietpro!I have learned of the new TSB about two weeks ago and have ordered the new amp ,but the part has not come in yet!As you can tell,i am very anxious to get this done once and for all.But what can i do? The dealership said that they would look into it to see why its taking so long to get the amp.As you had stated earlier,the part is coming from Lansing,MI.,but regardless i don't know why its taking two weeks and counting!Just curious how long it took you to get your new amp too see if i am jumping the gun sort of speek.Thanks,Pete.
    I'll try to answer both questions at once. The amp took about 8 days to get to SC from Lansing, MI. Obviously, they didn't overnight it. ;) As for the seat, it was the driver's. Mine was not sporadic at all. I first thought the brake pedal was squeaking because I only heard it when applying brake pressure...at first. I soon realized that pressure on the brake was pressing my back into the seat. I then isolated it to the seat. They got that part in very quickly but I waited to get both done during the same visit. I was originally going to get their drop off service to work and a ride back at the end of the day but they were running a little late on the labor side and decided to rent me a car. It worked out very well. I wasn't able to make it back during the service dept's normal hours but they left my keys with the sales desk and I picked my car up that evening. The new seat rail seems to have dropped the seat an inch or more and I now have more headroom. I'm very happy with the results; a premium stereo that now sounds good at low volume and added headroom.

I changed the chime level to "Loud" and no difference in the remaining hiss level (the hiss that is there is unchanged by the chime volume level). Be aware, there is still a "hiss" there but it is MUCH quieter. Although I would think a premium system would have no hiss at all, after what I originally had, this is better than acceptable. I am willing to close the issue. :) I doubt I'll ever buy another Bose product, though.

So what is the HVAC reprogramming you're talking about? I haven't heard of it. My AC is fine but my sister doesn't think her's is cold enough. I've heard that complaint a few times already. Please share what you know... :)
    well i am getting my radio done today as well as the upper heater hose tsb done when they replace that there is a software upgrade to the hvac control panel. did they update the software in your radio per the tsb when they di your amp? i have a hiss now but i really really want to know if a new amp is going to make me happy. intersting what you sadi about the seat i wonder if mine is doing the same thing, if that is the case then it will be there for quite some time getting repaired. how is your distance on your keyfobs? i get about 8 feet, there is a software fix for that now too allegedly! have you ever uses the TIS website, it is probaby the coolest thing i have seen!http://service.gm.com/index_en-US/si.html
    rriehl71,

Normally they do not change the styling and interface of the radio every year. It takes GM 4-5 years to change to the current Black Tie design for the bulk of their vehicles. So the new radio and old one are compatible to each other. What they change, based on reading all the posted messages, are:

1. Reflash the head unit to update the Audio output (more Gain probably, my theory). Radio head unit's audio level is in the DSP and it is easy to adjust the volume curve

2. Put in a newly designed Bose Amp (to work with new Audio profile of the new head unit).

jt
  • amram99amram99 Member Posts: 2
    Do you have a log in for the service.gm.com website? It seems that all of the useful pages require a login/password.
    JUST BACK THE URL UP INTHE SITE AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACCESS IT BACKDOOR STYLE!
  • hose1cookhose1cook Member Posts: 2
    Ok, They replaced the amp and told me all was well, no it's not, the hiss remains. I'll be visiting my dealer for the 4th time for this issue and see what they come up with.
    Take a look at your new amp. I wish I would've taken pictures but the last one was square with heat fins and I'm pretty sure it had Bose stamped in the center. My new amp seems more rectangular, still has heat fins, with Bose stamped in the metal on the left side (as you face the front). Hopefully they didn't replace one defective amp for another. The amp is in the trunk hanging under the rear deck.
    my car was one of the first off the line and the amp has the bose stamp on the left, i am getting the new one on monday now becasue my service writer is on vacation. i am wondering if i really need to get one after all becasue i am wondering whether or not it really wil matter? quitepro are you sure they updated your radio software as well?
    I don't know about the software. I was unaware there was a problem. What, particularly, does the software update address? Currently, with the "new" amp, the hiss is mostly gone although it is still audible if you listen for it at low volume. I can no longer hear it over road noise, if that gives some perspective.
    Ok, They replaced the amp and told me all was well, no it's not, the hiss remains. I'll be visiting my dealer for the 4th time for this issue and see what they come up with.

Did they also reprogram the radio? According to the TSB, it takes two things to address this problem

The following is the exact text:

"Replace the Amplifier unit...

After replacing the amplifier, reprogram the radio with the latest software available in TIS. ..."

I hope they did both for you

jt
    Now that you mention it, I remember that in the TSB. I'm assuming they did but I just realized earlier today, I didn't get an invoice. I picked my car up after hours and they didn't leave it with the keys. I'm going to schedule an appointment to see about the FOB range TSB and I'll try to get some more info.
    i posted some more info in the other post in regards to the distance issue
    gm has recalled the bose radio and amplifier on all cadilliacs, interestingly enough it uses the same system our impalas do!
    The systems are similar but not the same (at least the radios). Do you have info on why they did that on the Cadillac?

jt
  • martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    I have just taken delivery of an SS Impala with the Bose premium sound and the 6 disc player and discovered the EQ only toggles between talk and manual.

The owner's manual mentions EQ presets (plural) and I raised this with the sales guy thinking there must be a fault. He also thought there should be five or six EQ presets but has just come back to me to say there has been a TSB which identifies that cars with the premium sound option are restricted to the 'talk/manual' because 'the premium system will give the owner all he needs in sound quality' (or words to that effect).

What absolute tosh!. Has anyone out there had a similar response and does anyone know whether there is a 'hack' to bring in the full range of EQ presets?

It surely cannot be beyond the wit of man to fix this quirk.
    Martin22,
    Your stereo is performing as designed. The multiple presets are available on the lower level stereos but not on Bose. My sister has the next level down and the presets are there on hers. One other thing you'll want to be aware of is that the EQ settings are source dependent, in that if you select custom on XM and Talk on AM, all XM stations will use Custom and all AM stations will use Talk. That's the same for CD/AUX as well.
    I too am a bit disappointed by the Bose system but I am not all that surprised by its performance. The biggest problem most of us had was a terrible hiss that was finally addressed by GM (replaced the amplifier). If you're curious about those issues, just search this forum for "Black Tie" and you'll get a bit of history.

Happy Motoring!
    :D
  • martin22martin22 Member Posts: 53
    Quietpro,
    Thankyou very much for your reply - I guess I will get used to it.
    I have another question about this radio which you may be able to help me with. Using a menu function, one can set the time and date. However, nowhere have I found a way for the date to be displayed. Only the time is displayed when the radio is off. So why do we have to set the date?
    Martin,
    I didn't pull the manual out but I did check out the stereo again. I remember seeing those time and date prompts but I guess I assumed there was some display preference option but I never went looking for it. If there is a way to display the date, I couldn't find it. :) I dunno. I think it goes along with the (assumed) rush to get this stereo into the cars (even with bad amps). I'll take another look at it later and pass along anything I discover. I find that very strange unless of course you're locked in your car, have access to your stereo, but don't have access to a calendar. Then you can enter the setup menu and find the date safely hidden away. :P
    I am the owner of a 3 week old 2006 Impala SS with the Bose system.
    My CD player stopped working and the dealer ordered and installed a new one for me today.
    Now all of a sudden, when I put the turn signal indicator on, I hear this ANNOYING turn-signal "clicking" sound. It sounds like a normal turn signal sound but at an extremely elevated sound level and it's coming through the speakers.

I never had this noise before.

The dealer has now ordered me another new radio... So I wait.

Another odd thing... on the old radio when I selected the EQ button I only had 2 options: MANUAL and TALK. With the new radio I have a whole bunch of options, like ROCK DISCO JAZZ etc.

Can anyone help me with any of these issues?
    rriehl71,
    If I used your naming convention, I would be rriel67. Funny that we both own SSs. It looks like you got a non-Bose sound system the second time around. The Bose system has manual and talk. The non-Bose system has all the preset EQ settings. I haven't been able to confirm that there is a different head unit with the Bose systems or if it's some internal programming on the actual units. I'm assuming both were either single or 6-disk systems? I haven't heard of a Bose without the 6-disk but I can't find any confirmation that they are mutually exclusive. Back to the problem at hand...either you got a non-Bose stereo or one not programmed to work with Bose...at least that's my best guess.

As for the turn signal sound, there are two volume levels for the turn signals, door chimes, etc. and it sounds like yours was set to the loud setting. It may be worse if you have the wrong stereo or some programming problem. The signal/chime level is set through the DIC. You may want to check it out.
    It is highly that GM has software configurable head unit. Another word, the same unit is used for Bose and non-Bose amp system.

Once the head unit unit knows that there is a Bose amp out there (by reading some CAN bus messages), it will configure its audio settings according (Gain level, EQ,...). One easy way to identify is if you visit a Chevy dealership and ask for part number(s). If they are the same then that is the case.

In the past, old Impala radio was just like that. Eventhough it had external Amp, but the radio itself could drive the speakers directly. Typical designs with external amp is different: they only have the Low level Audio buffer that outputs to the Amp. These designs can't drive speakers directly.

jt