Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Too many people own DC minivans, love them, and have had no problems. Former DC minivan owners who bought a DC because the original little underpowered boxes on wheels called minivans made in Japan simply did not satisfy American customers. Many of these people naturally will return to the Japanese brand now they make decent minivans.
    When Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda copied DC's original success with a Volkswagen idea, the Americans who had driven Japanese brand small cars started buying the Japanese brand that they loved as a car.
    Brand loyalty is important.
    I test drove a 2002 Odyssey EX-NAV-L 12/29 and was very impressed with the improved power, ride, and quietness over the 2001 Odyssey EX. The Odyssey is a nice minivan.
    However, the question still comes back to me: Do I want to give up the extra nice comfort and convenience features I get on a DC minivan? One leaky head gasket has not convinced me that my friends were not telling the truth when they said they had no problems with any of their DC minivans. Many are now driving their 3rd DC minivan based on past satisfaction.
    Most problems with DC minivans are for pre-99 models. There are simply not as many problems being reported in the Town Hall on DC minivans as there are for the Odyssey and Sienna.
  • bigblockvettebigblockvette Member Posts: 5
    Well, I tried to give Chrysler a fair shake. I bought a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport new in '99. The trans had to be rebuilt under warranty at 32,000 miles last September. It currently has 36,167 mile on it. I had it to the dealer last week to cover concerns I had under the warranty before it expired at 36,000 miles. Today the wife comes home and the check engine light is on. What kind of crap is that? I am now over warranty by 167 miles. Will the dealer cover whatever is wrong?

Oh, I also bought a 2001 Dakota last spring. I think I need to dump both for a Ford or GM Product, which I was buying for the last 20 years. Never had these problems before.

Dwayne
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Chrysler has had at least one critically-acclaimed car in the past 5 years: the 300M. As I recall, wasn't it Motor Trend's COTY?

Also, here is one veteran owner of two Caravans over the past 10 years who will be looking elsewhere when my '99 GCS lease is up in 2004. By then, Honda and Toyota should have new generations of their vans out, Mazda's next-gen MPV may be out by the fall, a new Windstar should be available, and Nissan's new Quest might be ready (just saw an artist's conception of the showcar version of it in C/D, and it's one slick looking van). I'll also check out all the mid-sized SUVs and maybe some wagons. I'll still consider the Caravan in the mix, but it will still be the current generation, which I already know is not that much better IMO than my '99 GCS.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    in this great minivan market share debate is that the ENTIRE SEGMENT is melting away, a NATURAL occurance, not the result of what you think about DC. The minivan is a classic textbook product lifecycle in automotive history. An exciting new segment created and brought to market by a small innovative group of automotive industrialists who became associated with the product and benefited disproportionately as any inventor and innovator should. Of course Chrysler's market share has been slipping over the years, but not for the reasons stated by eneth et.al. Once a new, successful market niche is create, guess what?, it attracts competition. In the case of the minivan, the competition was incompetent in its early competitive efforts. How many pathetic, dead models have come and gone since 1984 from GM, Ford, Toyota etc. in their billion dollar effort to wrest share away from Chrysler? What the manufacturers are starting to realize is that the popularity of the minivan segment is NOT permanent, it is melting away as do all automotive trends. Remember the station wagon?

The first sign of the fall of the minivan market was the rising popularity of SUVs (didn't exist a few years ago). Now, the manufacturers are rushing to market with all kinds of new "cross-over" vehicles hoping against hope that they will hit on the next home run segment. They only wish that they could be as successful as Chrysler has been with the minivan idea. As far as DC's future, it cannot be based on the minivan because the market for this vehicle will erode and diffuse into new mutations, trends and fads. Do you think todays twenty-somethings want to drive minivans when they grow up? NEVER! The minivan will forever be associated with the late 20th Century and will be a thing of the past in another 10-15 years. So bring on the PT Cruisers, Crossfires, Neon SRT's. The company with the best CURRENT ideas will thrive in the future.
    I doubt if the minivan concept will die entirely. There is no other vehicle that is as versatile as the minivan: seating for 7-8 in comfort, great cargo volume, compact size (for their interior room), better fuel economy than large SUVs, available 4WD (at least in the DC minivans), easier entry/exit than SUVs, and so on. They are still incredibly popular today, even with all the competition from SUVs.

Even the minivan's popularity should wane, it could come back. Remember the death of the convertible, circa 1976? Now they're back again. Likewise 5-door hatchbacks--suddenly they are all the rage again, after being nearly wiped off the face of the earth (with the exception of Saab). Even station wagons are making a comeback.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    While I don't think minivans will be fadding away in terms of popularity or numbers anytime in the near future, I agree that the entire minivan market is maturing as time moves on. Whether you hate or love Chrysler, you have to give them credit for selling so many minivans over the last 15 something years. I think the number is now well over 9 million if I am correct.

I am 16 years old and I can figure out why Chrysler is loosing market share in the minivan segment. ITS COMPETITION, just as indydriver pointed out. Its so simple and I don't understand why so many Odyssey owners don't get this. Or maybe it's because they don't want to aknowledge this. The more competitors you have in any given market, regardless of the quality of the product, the sales leader in that area will slowly loose profit to these many new competitors.

As for Chrysler and needing rebates to sell all of it's vans, there is an easy response to that as well. Do you think that if Chrysler produced such a limited quantity of vans as Honda, they would need to offer rebates to move them off the lot? Of course not. That's simple logic too.

Now, I don't know what's up about the master of doom and gloom otherwise known as eneth who continues to make the picture look as horrible as possible for Chrysler, which it isnt. It is obvious they are in trouble, and need some serious restructuring, but they are not on an endless pathway to complete destruction as you might want us to believe. And if they are gone in another 5-10 years, oh well. I was wrong. But only time can prove whether I am right or wrong and not someone who bashes DC minvians at any chance he gets.

-Adam
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    Sorry - but if you check the overall sales, you'll see that while the minivan market isn't growing, it isn't significantly shrinking, either. Yes, wagons are making a comeback and probably taking sales from the smaller minivans - and note that only the Mercedes arm of DaimlerChrysler competes there, unless you consider the PT Cruiser, which really isn't a wagon, but rather a 4-door hatchback version of the Neon.

Rebates and zero interest financing? Honda hasn't had to use those on the Accord, which isn't production-constrained (and is the best-selling car of 2001, despite that).

300M? Yes, it was critically acclaimed - but it hasn't sold accordingly. DaimlerChrysler needs at least one - and probably more - category buster, a car that will sell in large numbers, and that will draw attention to its other products. It had its best chance with the current generation minivans and blew it big time - overselling the previous model, overpricing the new ones, and overequipping those it produced. There's no question that DaimlerChrysler improved the vans quality wise, but everyone else has improved as well - the differences just aren't there to make a compelling reason to purchase a DaimlerChrysler van over an Odyssey or other model.

I don't think Chrysler is on a pathway to complete destruction - there will always be Dodge trucks and Jeeps, along with probably minivans. However, Chrysler is assuming the same role in the DaimlerChrysler organization that AMC assumed in Renault (and then Chrysler) - it's competitive in trucks, but not in cars. One of the first acts Lee Iacocca took after buying AMC was to axe its non-competitive car lines, which is something I suspect is coming for Chrysler Group as well. Almost every platform now sold will be replaced from outside - the Neon/Stratus-Sebring by Mitsubishi/Hyundai, and the LH models by Mercedes-derived units. The coupe versions of the Stratus-Sebring are already Mitsubishi-based, and the next PT Cruiser will likely end up on a Mitsubishi chassis. That leaves the above models for Chrysler Group.

Although fans of the old Chrysler Corporation would no doubt love to see it independent again, that will never happen - things have changed too much, and Chrysler Group is no longer a standalone automaker - it is part of DaimlerChrysler, and could no more stand alone than AMC could have after Renault decided to divest itself of that automaker.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    DaimlerChrysler: We'll Post Profits.
    Chrysler revival is working.

And on that note, perhaps we can get now back to the topic please?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    And specifically with this statement:
    "....There's no question that DaimlerChrysler improved the vans quality wise, but everyone else has improved as well - the differences just aren't there to make a compelling reason to purchase a DaimlerChrysler van over an Odyssey or other model....".
    We have looked closely at all minivans and will be able to do it once more in a few weeks at the Annual Auto Show where all vehicles can be closely compared under one roof. Our choice is narrowed down to Odyssey LX, GC eL or T&C eL.
    We have compared the GC eL @$24,165 and Odd LX @$24,690. The Odyssey has more power, a 5 speed AT, and the Magic Seat. On the other hand, the GC eL has Triple Zone Temp Control, Complete Overhead Console with compass/outside temp/ trip computer, Remote Keyless Entry, heating coils at base of windshield, and padded armrests on the front doors.
    The great reliability of dozens of DC minivans owned by people we know is far more important to me than the few problems that are repeated over and over here in the Town Hall by disgruntled former owners of DC minivans.
    Conversely, the poor reliability experienced by myself and my family and friends is plenty to suggest that the Odyssey would be a better purchase - despite the constant repetition of claims by others to the contrary.

Everyone's entitled to express their own opinions - and should be able to do so free from denegration by others.
    Although we were greatly impressed by the test drive of an Odyssey on March 16, 1999, the unreliability of 4 Honda Accords owned by friends was the primary reason we walked from our $500 non-refundable deposit on a Granite Green 1999 Odyssey LX-C and got a 1999 GC SE.
    We personally knew the owners of 7 Honda Accords in March 1999. Four had major problems and only 3 had been reliable. First hand, verifiable data is more significant to me when I spend my money than the anecdotal data in CR.
    In our area, DC minivans have a far better reliability record than do Honda Accords...When the flagship seller of Honda had proven unreliable for friends, I was not willing to take a chance buying an unreliable brand.
    In my family's case, it isn't even secondhand stories from friends that turned us away from ever considering a DaimlerChrysler product again - it was the ownership of two of their products, which were about as reliable as Consumer Reports' predictions would indicate - i.e., they were nightmares.

So although CR's data wasn't relevant to your case, it sure was to mine - and I'm sure thousands of others who reported the problems they published.

That, plus the DaimlerChrysler vans' recall history, should give one pause in considering a new one - there are plenty of better choices out there (or at least let your neighbor be the one to determine whether the 2001+ models are actually, finally, improved - unless you can afford to gamble with $25,000+.
    I know these 4 people who had Honda nightmares and I know the 4 vehicles. I personally verified the information.
    There was NO better choice for us in 1999 than the 99 GC SE which has MANY more nice comfort and convenience features than the nice Odyssey. We are considering the Odyssey along with DC minivans for our next new vehicle. Until or unless we have any serious problems with our DC, the comfort and convenience of the DC will keep us with DC instead of the extra space of the Odyssey.
    Anyone tried the Bosch Platinum +4 in the 3.3L?
    Take a look at the next big winner that will have other manufacturers quickly copying:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0201/07/autos-383760.htm

when I said that the traditional minivan market would morph into different vehicles. I saw this vehicle in person at the auto show last month and it has an intriguing appearance. However, poor name in my opinion.....doesn't seem to match the personality of the vehicle.
    There's nothing quite as convincing as the extra-sour taste of one's own lemon - secondhand experiences, even of friends and family members, are something to sympathize with, but for anyone who's ever gotten stuck with a lemon, it's a nightmare to be endured.

There's nothing quite so stomach-turning as driving down the road at 40 mph, hearing a metallic snap-clang, and feeling your engine race as your car decelerates - and at 18,000 miles. Then you've got the wonderful experience of being without a car for three weeks while it's repaired - and then 30,000 miles later, all over again - until - wait for it - you get laughed at when you try to trade the junk on a decent car where trade-in is concerned.

If you've been through that, you never want to do it again - and fortunately, in the U.S., there are plenty of other automakers who show they care more about the consumer than they do about the sale.

It's been 12 years now - and we've not had one unscheduled repair in all that time, on three vehicles - two Toyotas and a Subaru. Must be some kind of adjustment for the biweekly visits to repair this or that on the Dodge and the Plymouth that preceded them ...
    That is precisely why I will NEVER drive or own another Volkswagen and Volvo. I had tried to erase the trauma caused by those foreign made lemons that left a very bitter taste in my mouth.
    I had driven Chevrolet and Buick and had been spoiled by having only routine Lubrication, Oil and Oil Filter changes until I got my NEW 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle. Not only did I get a vehicle without the comfort and convenience of a heater and power, but it and the NEW 1972 Volvo needed frequent, expensive maintenance.
    My 1971 VW SB caught fire for no apparent reason at Ft Lewis Washington July 3, 1972 at 19,840 miles and there I was 1200 miles from my home in Laramie Wyoming with no transportation for 8 days. I also learned 2 years later that the value of many foreign cars is not very good when we sold it when transferred to Germany in 1973.
    I have driven mostly Chevrolet and got my first new one in 1963. No Chevrolet has ever stranded me or needed unscheduled maintenance in the 42 years I owned them...and none ever stranded my father from the time he got one in 1936 until he died in 1991.
    Our GC had a leaky head gasket that was repaired under warranty. If it requires any unscheduled maintenance I will feel like you and buy another brand.
    Since people I personally know had been stranded by Honda Accords, I was not willing in 1999 to buy an unreliable brand vehicle and walked from our deposit on a 99 Ody LX and got the 99 GC SE instead.
  • brucevrbrucevr Member Posts: 3
    I'm on this page due to these 2 or 3 "regulars" that visit the Odessey page. I think Honda owners probably know these folks are DC salesmen trying to salvage a few customers...

But to suggest that Honda Accords are junk just is INCREDIBLE!

Next to Toyota/Lexus, Honda (all models) blow away anything else on the market. Only a true sucker would look at a DC product, no matter what size rebate they offer. Can't believe there are still folks out there buying these "fine DC products."

I'm a Previa owner (one lamp problem in rear seat area in 9 years and 145,000 miles) looking to get something new. Gee, guess what I've figured to be the best value for my $28K? NOT a DC van, yep an Ody. Seinnas are nice too but just too small for 4 kids in my case. Can't wait for the revised Previa to get here, so Ody it is.

Anyone reading these do yourself a favor and check out the Honda, even at MSRP its value (check out trade in value!!) is a world ahead of any DC pile.

Bruce
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You say you know someone who had problems with a Accord so you would never own one as they are junk. Well I know someone with a DC van (newer one, can't off hand remember if it was a 00 or 01, you could check my previous post) who had it towed in with trans problem. So I have come to the same conclusion, that all DC vans are junk. Thanks for helping me sort this all out.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No profanity please, masked or otherwise. This isn't a comparision topic either, but a forum to discuss any problems with these models and how to fix them. Thanks.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • steelengsteeleng Member Posts: 71
    Thanks brucevr for your uninspired generalizations of DC product owners. Since you say that you are a Previa owner and the Previa was discontinued several years ago I will assume that you do not now own a DC product and probably haven't for some time. That means that if you have any personal experience with DC products it was probably with a much older vehicle. Believe it or not things can improve.

As for why anyone would buy a DC product I can tell you my story. I currently own a '95 Cirrus that I have had for over 7 years and it has been extremely reliable. I am planning on purchasing a 2001 Grand Caravan used because I like the styling and features and I can save more than $5000 over a comparably equipped Oddysey. I will use part of the savings to purchase an extended warranty with $0 deductible and not worry about the reliability.

So, you can label me a sucker but I don't have enough money to buy a new van right now and the prices people want for a used Oddysey just crack me up.
    I think both dmathews and brucevr should stop making these rediculous generalizations of DC products. Honda is one of the world's best and most reliable car manufactureres, there is no doubt about that in my mind. But, has the Honda Odyssey had more problems than what is typical for a Honda product? Yes. If you don't believe me, go read of the problems here at Troll Hall or simply look at Consumer Reports.

Secondly, I don't think the Odyssey is an unreliable car. In fact, despite all of the problems they have had, i would still choose an Odyssey over a DC minivan if reliability was the ONLY factor involved in buying a minivan. But everyone looks for different features in their cars, especially mininvans, and the Honda lacks in some areas that are obviously very important to many people.

What areas could those be? How about comfort, convienience, and luxury. Just sit inside of a new 2001 or 2002 Town & Country Limited and you will get my point. After sitting in a Town & Country the Odyssey interior looks bland and spartan. Features such as heated leather seats with memory, leather/suede interior, power doors and hatch with obstacle detection system, rear split bench seating, powered center console, overhead trip computer, tri zone climate control, more than decent sound system, cd changer, tire pressure monitor, fog lamps, all wheel drive, heated auto mirrors and windshield, and ajustable petals are very important to many customers.

Oh, and I dare not forget one of the most BASIC comfort features offered on ANY car that the Odyssey lacks...PADDED ARMREST. Yes, that's right. PADDED ARMREST. I mean common, I think it's pretty cheap for ANY car maker to put hard plastic armrests on the doors instead of something of a higher and more comfortable quality. Thats just plain CHEAP.

After all, it is true that Chrysler has essentially created a segment within a segment with the Town & Country. No other minivan currently on the market offers these types of features with the luxury content of the Chrysler.

All Chryslers are junk? You Honda fans wish as it would be perfect to keep telling yourself that to keep yourself driving an Odyssey. The old excuse of not buying a Chrysler because it will fall apart is getting old, fast. We have owned two Chrysler minivans, one of which went to 70k miles without any problems. Many Honda owners haven't even driven their vans past 50k. We also have a 2001 PT Cruiser which already has 12k miles and also hasn't had any problems.

Bottom line, the Odyssey isn't for everyone. And that is quite obvious by looking at the sales of DC minivans. The Town & Country alone outsells almost every other van on the market, including the Odyssey. If you want luxury, comfort, and convienence the Town & Country is hard, if not impossible, to beat.
    for several months....lots of grandstanding and very little information. This topic is supposed to be about problems experienced by DC owner so that they can more effectively deal with issues that arise. If you own a Honda or Toyota, go to your own boards and leave this one alone.
    Apparently there are not enough nice features of other minivans for their owners to be happy unless they troll in DC forums to bash DC that continues to build the most satisfying minivans.
    Maybe DC minivans had problems in the past. However, any one who reads in all Town Hall Forums will realize the current DC minivans do not have as many owner reported problems as most other brands.
    I am disappointed that the Hosts do not delete the posts in DC minivan forums made by the professional Trolls who get thrills from posting old data about old DC minivans.
    When my 99 GC SE had coolant leak, that fact was reported as was the fact the dealer fixed the problem by replacing both head gaskets the next day under warranty with no hassle. If my minivan had been made by another manufacturer, the head gasket replacement would have been called "routine maintenance".
  • mrbizness1mrbizness1 Member Posts: 93
    . If my minivan had been made by another manufacturer, the head gasket replacement would have been called "routine maintenance".

You bring up a good point, I worked at a multi car
    franchise and many families owned a foreign and a domestic vehicle. The service mgr. told me when they brought in their domestic car with a problem they would be very upset and carry on, but if they had a problem with their foreign vehicle it was considered a fluke in their minds and they were very low key. It's hard to figure out.
    and it seems to run good. Apparently the first re-manufactured trans they put in didn't work right so they ordered up a second one from Chrysler and did it over! They asked for permission to replace the rear main seal for $85 while they were in there...why not? Also had them drop a new set of plugs in to sharpen up the cold starts. I asked for and got a 10% discount off the bill (I'm finding that most dealerships will do this if you ask nicely on bills over $400 and act like they're earning your return business). Total bill....$2,020. Blue book.....$1250 in good condition, which this one ain't. Oh well, four months and it will be less than a new truck payment.
  • mulfomimulfomi Member Posts: 56
    Both posts hit the nail on the head. I bought my T&C after driving an Odyssey because of the factors in post 974. Plus I traded in a 94 GC that only had one problem that wasnt considered normal wear and tear. I was very happy with my Chrysler/Dodge products. Also had a 94 Concorde for 7 years with no significant problems.
  • zimm04zimm04 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2000 T&C that began leaking transmission fluid at 10866 miles. 1st leak was at differential cover. 2nd leak just below input speed sensor--replaced transfer case. 3rd leak at solenoid pack. Currently on 4th leak scheduled to go into the shop in a couple of days. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone else out there try to collect from Chrysler under Lemon Law or been through their arbitration program? We are in NC and if it leaks again after 4th repair, Lemon Law says they have to replace it w/a new van or repurchase it. Just curious about other's experiences with transmission fluid leaks and/or collecting from Chrysler. Thanks.
    zimm04, you are the first person I have heard in a long time complain about a Chrysler transmission leak in a 1999-2002 model minivan. We have a flawless 2000 Town & Country LX and I am curious what model you have? Our LX has the 3.3 V6 and we have not had any problems regarding the engine or transmission in the 34k miles we have driven the car.

I know that didn't help your situation much, but I personally have never had a problem with a Chrysler van so I wouldnt be much help anyway. Sorry.

-Adam
    My '99 GCS has been leak-free so far, but I am very curious as to how this lemon law thing will come out--whether they will give you a new van or repurchase yours, and at what price. Please let us know how it goes.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    My 1990 Grand Voyager (135K miles) has developed a front end shake/shudder between 20 and 35 mph. Feels like an out of round wheel. It bobs up and down noticeably but smooths out above 35 and is completely unnoticeable above 40 or so. The tires are new and look fine. What else could it be? Axle shaft maybe?
    Since I bit the $2K new trans bullet on my '90, I am now becoming determined to refurbish this vehicle into a keeper. The 5* observed that the front brake pads were worn out so I took it to Midas this morning as I have a "lifetime" system with them. They replaced front disc pads for $30 labor. The $89.95 pads were "free". They tried to sell me a rotor turning for another $30 but I declined as these rotors are only two years old and I feel no warping through the pedal.

Next up is paint. This vintage minivan is notorious for peeling paint, especially on the roof and hood. Since the van was moved outside, the peeling has accelerated, and now its starting to rust through the exposed white primer. I took it to Maaco today for an estimate. $227.50 labor to strip the hood and roof (6.5 hrs x $35/hr) then $250 for their "Supreme" paint service which is supposedly half the normal $499. What do you guys think about this price? Anyone had experience with Maaco or other auto painting franchises?
    Definitely front axles. As you can see from my posts, I have the same vintage-1990 GVLE. I had the front axles replaced about two years ago by my dealer (although others, like Midas will do it). I was told new factory parts were no longer available...only rebuilts. The rebuilts that were installed made the shake better but didn't completely eliminate it.
    Did your van have a front end shake before you got the new tires?
    Some NEW tires are "out of round" and can not be balanced.
    We got 4 new UniRoyal Tiger Paw AWP for our 91 Astro CL to replace the 4 Tiger Paw Plus that were original equipment. The van had a shake after we got the new tires. I took it back and told them it feels like one tire is defective. They re-balanced the wheels twice before I finally convinced them one of the tires was out of round.
    Once the defective NEW tire was replaced, the van rode as smoothly as it did with the original tires.
    My axles were replaced less than a year and 7K miles ago so I'd be pretty annoyed if they've gone out already. The front tires were done about 1 month and less than 1K miles after that and all was fine until a couple weeks ago.

Looks like we're in the same boat on these old vans; got so much into them (over $3K last year) you hate to give it up. My 19 year old drives mine and I told him he'd better be looking for his own car next summer.
    We kept the old van when we bought momma a new 2000 GCS. Junior's been driving it since then. The last four years or so, I've had to put about $1K/yr into it to keep it sound....guess that beats a new car payment.

However, I REALLY want one of those new RAM 1500's as our third DC vehicle.
    I would like a PT Cruiser as our 2nd vehicle. However, with less than 37K on our 99 GC, it is not cost efficient to get another vehicle.
    When is it best to get rid of an older vehicle? At what time do repair costs make it unwise to keep the older one operating?
    I don't have an analytical answer for you. My strategy has been to buy new and keep for 10 years or more. Obviously, you have little or no trade-in value at that point, but you've enjoyed 5 or 6 years without payments. Now that my kids are reaching driving age, I am not trading in my old vehicles, but handing them down to my kids. All I know is, you can spend an awful lot on repairs before it comes close to a new car (or truck) payment. If I decide to ditch the '90 GVLE and buy a RAM, I'll probably donate it to my church and take a tax write-off rather than suffer the indignity of the dealer's trade-in offer.
    We have done the same thing. Gave our 81 Chevy C-10 pickup to oldest daughter when we got our 87 R-10. Gave 80 Impala to 2nd daughter when we got our 91 Astro CL. Got a nice used 78 Impala for our youngest daughter about time we gave 80 to 2nd daughter. Last year we gave our 87 R-10 to our youngest daughter.
    Was stupid to trade 91 Astro on 99 GC as our oldest daughter got a used 91 Astro RS 2 years later and her 91 had 186,000 miles in 2001 whereas our 91 had only 61,000 when traded in 1999.
    We have had only 1 problem with our 99 GC. It had a coolant leak at 35,002 miles but dealer replaced both head gaskets the next day under warranty with no hassle, no fuss, etc. A very painless experience. Will probably give it to one of our kids when we decide we want a new one as I hate to see the dealer make $3000 to $5000 on our trade in.
    I also own a 1990 Grand Voyager which until last year had been pretty reliable (except for the inevitable transmission failure). In 2001, I put over $3000 into it (including another tranny rebuild), far more than it's worth. Every time I dropped another $300 or so, I'd say "that must be it, what else can go wrong?" My 19 year old is driving it so I keep fixing it.

At this point, it's the reliability I'm concerned about more than the cost of repairs. My son is in college 200 miles away so every time he wants to come home, I worry about him getting stranded along the way. Fortunately, he's made 5 or 6 trips since last fall with no problems.

To answer your original question: it depends. I think most cars today will easily go 100K miles without major problems if they've been well maintained. As Indydriver said, it's nice to drive a few years without a car payment. If one had the discipline to continue saving the car payment amount after the payments to the bank ended, one would have a nice down payment saved up when the next purchase came along.

When shopping for another vehicle, look at lease turn-ins. You should be able to find a low mileage (<30K), 2 year old vehicle at a considerable savings over a new one and still have the piece of mind of a year and 6K miles left on the manufacturer's warranty.
    Recall campaign starts January 25 for the 1996 vans - later model years to follow:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0201/20/a01-394001.htm

• dvanderboldvanderbol Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have an idea about my problem. My caravan will give an overheat alarm--and the temp gauge is high. I can turn it off or turn on the heater or both and when I restart the trouble clears. I have had the radiator flushed, the fan unit replace, the sender and the sender unit replaced. My mechanic can't seem to find the trouble. My maintenance manual shows a sensor at the base of the radiator but cannot find it. It is a 4 cyl.--any help or suggestions?????
    Thermostat checked lately or replaced?

Any other symptoms (blown head gasket - oil leak, coolant in oil, etc.)?
  • ace37ace37 Member Posts: 1
    just had van towed to dealer with 56K miles and a dead transmission. Have had a leak in transmission since 35K miles but the dealer service shop has never been able to locate the leak. Well guess what, 21k miles later the transmission is shot. Symptoms were the transmission started with a winding sound, then would not engage in any gear, this all in the same morning within 20 minutes of driving time. Will update once repairs have been completed by dealer service shop. Thank god for the extended warranty. Don't get stuck without one especially on a Dodge/Chrysler product.
  • musicmommusicmom Member Posts: 3
    We have a 96 Grand Caravan that started shaking at 40-45 mph around 60,000 miles. It only shudders when we try to maintain that speed going up an incline. Mechanics haven't been able to solve the problem, even though they've done fuel injection service, fuel induction service, tune-ups, new spark plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas? We have not had any transmission problems yet- hope that's not it.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    How about the frontend like alignment, wheel balance worn frontend parts etc. Going up hill is shifting the center of balance of van and causing the problem. Again just a thought.
  • musicmommusicmom Member Posts: 3
    We replaced two tires in June and the other two in Sept.with wheel balancing, although we can check it again, especially after reading the above posts about axles and out of round tires. However, the shuddering feels more like the engine isn't getting enough gas - sometimes it's difficult to accelerate when it's acting up. If we continuously accelerate going uphill, instead of trying to maintain steady speed at 40-45 mph, it's alright.
  • mrbizness1mrbizness1 Member Posts: 93
    If we continuously accelerate going uphill, instead of trying to maintain steady speed at 40-45 mph, it's alright.

Sounds to me the torque convertor could be hanging up. Has the trans ever been serviced ?