Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• buoyantbuoyant Member Posts: 128
    I'm not sure where you're from, but around the Minneapolis-St.Paul metro, you can find '97 and '98 Neons with around 50k on the odometer for $6000. I think this is probably because there are a large no. of dealers in the area now selling '00 and '01 rental returns for $9995 (hey, it's tough to sell the older ones for the same price as the newer ones).

In fact, I looked at a green '98 Neon with 42k miles at a large Nissan dealer this past winter. The dealer was asking $6,900 and it was in perfect shape and it had all the options including the factory power sunroof.

You'll be doing yourself a favor if you avoid the '95 and '96 model year. The newer, the better.

Unless you are from a rural area with very limited dealer competition, you should be able to latch on to a '97 or '98 Neon (perhaps even a '99) for $6000 with a little negotiation. Don't forget to negotiate! Dealer markups on used car trade-ins are unbelievably high - much higher than that on brand new cars (on which consumers can make direct comparisons between identical cars between dealerships and the actual price the dealer paid is relatively easy to figure out). Domestic cars are usually easier to negotiate on than imports as well.

My first and second car purchases (both used) were for $2200 and $2400 under initial asking prices respectively. I still think the dealer had more room to give on the second one (it was advertised at $6595 and I paid $4200), but I wanted the car REALLY bad. Interestingly, I was also looking at a used Honda Accord at that same time, but the dealer selling it (a Toyota dealer) told me they weren't going to be negotiating on "that" car. They said if I didn't buy it for their asking price, someone else would. I said, "bye, bye!"

Looking back, I'm quite glad I didn't buy the Honda. It had above average miles and appeared to been owned by an idiot who knew little about regular maintenance (you know, those Hondas just need "gas and oil" or so the myth goes). Even if I never had to stick another dollar into it (highly unlikely from its condition though), I still would've paid too much.
  • zapatista2000zapatista2000 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks, buoyant. I live and work in Washington DC, but I'm going home to St. Paul for labor day weekend and I'll definitely check out the selection in the Twin Cities area. Any specific dealerships to check out/avoid? It seems like it may be worth it to suck it up and squeeze every penny out of my pocket and go with the newer model. Thanks again.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    zapatista - I drive a '99 Neon Sport with 5 spd and I love it. One word of advice though, if you're looking at buying one - avoid the sunroof. Even the service guys at my dealership said it was a bad design (the third time I brought it in to be fixed!).

-Jason
    You need not offer your advice in response to my questions. Having gone through many of the earlier posts, I think it's unfortunate that you ran off genuinely helpful Neon owners who actually had valid input into this message board. Since you don't even own one, will you (finally) be leaving now that your friend's Neon is out of the garage? I dont' know if you work for Mazda or what, but it would have been easy to look at your same complaints repeated 50 times and get a distorted picture of the reliability of these cars. Luckily, I went through about 300 posts and while my eyeballs now feel like they're going to shrivel up and fall out of my head, I've come to the conclusion that Neons have problems like every other car, but they seem to be adequately reliable and fun to drive for what my needs are; save the occasional lemon, as with all vehicles. The only question now is whether a 98 is worth a montlhy payment or do I just plunk down $4,500 for a 95 or 96 and deal with the faulty head gasket, leaky trunk, pealing paint, AC and clunking wheel problems. Because of the advice from people who really are looking to help others in here, all of those seem relatively easy to take care of, and if DC is really willing to replace the gasket for a cost of about $100 out of my pocket, I may take my chances because christ knows I don't need another payment. We'll see. I do know, however, that I won't be buying a Protege. I just didn't want you to waste your time.
    Thanks, man. I'll definitely avoid the sun roof and the automatic transmission.
    Fantastic! A fellow Minnesotan on the Neon board (and a fellow 20 something by the sound of it).

There isn't any particular dealer I avoid in the metro (with the possible exception of Richfield-Bloomington Honda). I have noticed that the salesmen tend to be rather agressive at the Walser dealerships however. Be prepared to hear the phrase "what can I do to get you to buy this car today" six or seven hundred times if you stop at one of them. I usually just reply, "Boy, I don't know. What CAN you do to get me to buy this car today?" I've also found that telling them I'm seriously looking at a practically identical car across town for an asking price $2000 less always puts them in a friendlier mood (dealers are terrified if you leave their lot without buying - particularly if they think you're headed to a different dealer across town - as few customers ever return).

If you're looking for old Neons, Burnsville VW (Cliff Lake Road and 35W) is probably the best place around. They have a younger clientele and deal in huge volumes, so they tend to get a lot of Neons in on trade. As an added plus, they have a rather small sales lot (the cars are pretty much stacked on top of each other) and seem to be willing to do anything to make more space for more used VW's. If you go down to Burnsville though, also check out the Honda dealer by Buck Hill. I've looked at a few Neons there. A friend of mine bought his Saturn there and got a really good deal.

You might also try doing dealer searches on these websites:

http://www.getauto.com

http://www.carsoup.com

Most of the area dealerships list cars on one or both of these websites. A caveat though: the prices on these sites are dealer “dream prices.” I don’t know the demographics of those that shop for cars via the internet, but apparently the dealers have pinned the internet shoppers as rich and completely naïve when it comes to car shopping. When shopping for my last car, I found a number of cars in the paper ads listed on the dealers’ websites as well. The price listed on the website was invariably higher – in fact I found one car (yes, the same car!) listed in a Star Tribune ad for $4995 while the dealer’s website showed $7995. And since it was listed at $4995, I’d be willing to bet there was still wiggle room.

When I was a sophomore in college, myself and a friend used to go around test-driving cars for fun on the weekends. It was probably the cheapest entertainment around (and how many other punks can say they've blasted down I394 at 100mph in a Jaguar XJ12?). Actually, I got so comfortable dealing with car salesmen I actually started enjoying the whole "negotiation game". I recall one occasion at Wally McCarthy's where a saleman actually followed my friend and I off the lot shouting, "how 'bout $3200?!?! how 'bout $3000?!?!" We spent the ride back to his place shouting lower prices at each other in $200 increments.

Man, if I was actually serious about buying that Cutlass Supreme, I could've gotten it for a song...

If you have the time, try to enjoy the shopping experience. Drinking dealership coffee and driving the hell out of someone else's vehicles is never a bad way to spend an afternoon.

• 71charger71charger Member Posts: 116
    I was looking through the 4adodge website and checked out the Neon accessories. DC offers aftermarket aluminum 15 inch rims for the Neon with lug nuts included for $167 each, list price. To me they look similar to the 16 inchers on the new R/Ts. The regular production rims are somewhere in the neighborhood of $900 a set, dealer cost. If you didn't get the aluminum rims when you bought yours, wish you had, but don't want to spend $1200 bucks on what had been a $355 option this could be the way to go.
    Once again, you're a wealth of information.

I am indeed a 20something from MN. My parents live in Apple Valley, so I'll definitely head over to Burnsville VW and the Honda dealership by Buck over Labor Day weekend. After reading all of these posts, I'm definitely getting a Neon and I'm pretty stoked about finally looking at actual cars instead of just newspaper and online listings (when the student loan refund comes in a couple of weeks--God love grad school). I'm going to see if I can get into a 97 on my budget. If not, I'll probably settle on a 95 or 96 Sport. I'm still debating whether it's better to buy one out here and have to switch the title and registration to MN or buy one at home and drive it back out to DC. There's probably less of a chance for signigicant body rust out here, but I'm much more comfortable looking at home. Also, I'm trying to sort out the merits and pitfalls of buying from a dealer versus a private individual. So many questions, I know. I just don't want to get screwed as I'm not quite the shrewed negotiator you've fashioned youself into. A philosophical quest for Justice and Fairness leaves me vulnerable in the used car universe. At least now I know the questions to ask and how much is too much for what I'm looking at.

Thanks again.
    -jeremy
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    The salesman asking "what can I do to get you to buy today" is not an exclusive Dodge dealer question. I test drove a number of cars before settling on my Echo and I heard that question at virtually every dealership. Even at a couple of Toyota dealerships except for the dealership where I bought my car. Which is one reason I chose that dealership.

Zap, I would suggest you go for a newer, used Neon without the head gasket problems rather than buy an older '95 or '96. Even if you end up with a car payment. I agree that you should get a manual instead of an automatic. Perhaps the traffic in Washington DC means an automatic makes more sense, but a manual is much more fun. Also, I have not heard good things about the three speed automatic in the Neon.

Speaking of Washington DC, do you know where Chandra Levy is? ; )

Seriously though, enjoy your car. It doesn't matter if a car (any car) is not the most reliable or the safest or the most economical. What matters in the end is that it pushes your buttons, meets your needs, and you enjoy owning it.
    when i first got out here, it was the Monica jokes. now, it's Chandra Levy. i honestly don't know why pols can't just keep it in their pants. a little self-respect...

anyway--ok, i'm going to look at a a 99 Highline this week. it's a 5 speed with quite a few features-ac, cruise, power breaks, no power steering or locks. it's at a Jeep dealership for $6,900 with 55,000 miles on it. so if i can get it for $6,000 or so i could put 5k down and make payments of about $100 per month for 1 year. so the questions are-- why does a 99 have 55,000 miles on it? do they have to tell me if it's a rental return, because i don't want one of those? should this alarm me?
    sorry for being a baby. i just want to get the right one. thanks.
    I am not sure what the laws are regarding disclosure, but I would hope they would be upfront with you about whether or not it is a former rental car. My suggestion is if they tell you it is not a rental car ask if the dealership's general manager will put that in writing and sign it.

55k miles on a '99 seems like very high mileage.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I think you can pick up a used Neon with a LOT less than 55,000 miles for much less than $6,900.
    Here is what I recommend. Go to the "Smart Shopper" board here at Edmunds Town Hall. Click on the discussion titled "Real-World Trade-In Values". Post your questions to brentwoodvolvo(Bill) and/or rroyce10(Terry), these guys are high level car dealers providing an AWESOME service to anyone who politely asks. These two sales professional, go to the "big" auctions and know what most vehicles should wholesale or retail for. They have access to the "black book", that used-car dealers, use to guide them on purchasing and selling pre-owned cars. I'm sure they can help you understand what the market on a used Neon, should be. Post your question on a specific vehicle your interested in, and/or ask them for some general questions on what brand vehicle they recommend in your price range!

Respectfully,
    Larry
    Major Tom, actually the dealer of which I was speaking is the hole in the ground formerly known as Walser Buick-Isuzu at Penn/494 and not a Dodge dealer at all. You're very right about hearing that line at every dealership though. It is uttered everywhere you go - just not 6 or 7 hundred times. That PARTICULAR dealership has consistently hired the most aggressive lot sharks in the Twin City metro. From Excelsior, MN to Hudson, WI, there simply is (or shall I say, was) no dealer quite like it.

7 years ago I was looking at a Prism there and they gave me that "this is the price, take it or leave it" B.S. I got up and started walking to my car - which they appeared to be in the process of boxing in by one of those enormous, pre-'85 Buick Electras. Almost worthy of a case study, the sales manager suffered an instant personality change (from completely indifferent to thoroughly concerned in two seconds flat) and intercepted me before I could make my way back to the car.

Suddenly he had gone from TELLING me that their advertised price, $8995, was their lowest price to ASKING me if I'd buy it for $8000, $7500, and on. Needless to say, I didn't want that car all that much (there was a little red Isuzu calling my name) so I balked at everything he said. Oh, and I was kind of pissed at that point too. But I feel comfortable saying that I could've probably gotten that car for $2000 less than their *initial* lowest price. It was the final day of the month (the last day for them to dress-up their monthly inventory stats).

Fortunately, that dealer was just imploded two months ago to make way for the new Best Buy headquarters. Unfortunately, the sales staff made it out okay.

And I know it's a bit off subject, but I have to ask as I'm very curious: what kind of bag do you wear over your head to disguise yourself while tooling around in that Echo - paper or plastic? Sorry, I couldn't resist....the gauntlet has been thrown, but please, be nice - I only said it in jest.

Also, Major Tom, I heard you really made the grade and the papers want to know whose shirts you wear.

Jeremy, it's a small world. I used to live right off Burnsville Parkway over by Birnamwood so I'm very familiar with Apple Valley. I love the south metro. Where else can you give a visitor accurate directions and sound like some sick pederast..."Go west on Yankee Doodle; south on Pilot Knob. If you hit Johnny Cake, you've gone to far."

I wouldn't be too worried about that '99 being a former rental. The rental companies only buy automatics (since every moron can drive those). It COULD be a lease return, but those are usually fairly well taken care of.

If you're curious about the origin of the vehicle and are seriously interested, you can order a history of the vehicle through carfax (I think it's www.carfax.com). It's probably not a bad idea to get one of those anyway just to find out if the car has a clean title (and hasn't been marked salvage in another state).

Actually, $6900 seems like a very reasonable asking price for a '99, and 20k per year (if it was purchased in late '98) isn't all that abnormal.

Personally, I think late model cars with above-average miles are the best deals. Anyone can say that the miles on the car they're peddling are all or mostly "highway miles", but if the car has a bunch of miles on it and is almost new, it's a sure bet (it's awfully tough to put on a boatload of miles doing short, stop-and-go city trips – and that is the type of driving that wears a car out).

Furthermore, you can also be fairly certain that no one has tampered with the odometer on high-mileage, late-model used cars.

From experience used-car shopping here in the Cities, I've also found that it’s the lower mileage cars that usually have the most door dings - presumably because those cars have spent a lot of time in area parking lots and little time on the open highway. I don't know about you, but I'll take stone chips on the front-end any day over that "dinged" look of the city cars.

Also, since it's a dealer, you should be able to do better than $6000 on that car. I'd start my offer at $4500-$5000. Since it is at a dealership, it is probably a new car trade-in (and people almost always get screwed on those). If so, the dealer probably paid the previous owner in the neighborhood of $4000 for it (perhaps a little less, perhaps a little more depending on the discount negotiated off the new car).

If you start negotiations on this car and can't get the dealer to come down into the low fives, consider getting up and walking out. This technique has saved me hundreds of dollars in the past, and few things are as invigorating as having a used car sales manager chasing after you like the Terminator.

In the rare (read: EXTREMELY RARE) event they actually let you get away and haven't left 3 messages on your voicemail by the time you get home, at least then you know where their REAL bottom line is.

Don't let perceived embarrassment keep you from getting the best deal! If you still want the car after walking out, you can always go back to the dealer and buy it for their lowest previous offer. Salepeople change their minds all the time (first a price is non-negotiable, the next second they've dropped it by $900) - so you can too.

I don't care what anybody says. If you haven't gotten up to walk out at least once during negotiations, you could've paid less.

On that same note, if the salesperson tries to intimidate you or tells you that you're offer is "too low to take to their sales manager", politely - but forcefully - let them know you'll leave if they don't.

Dealerships are designed to be intimidating places. You are entering the salesman's workplace (a place in which they feel completely comfortable jacking people around). But you have the upper hand! If they don't sell you a car, they don't get paid (unless you're at a Saturn dealer where the staff is on salary). You have nothing to lose by going to a different dealer - the salesperson has MUCH more at stake.

Practice repeating this phrase before you head into the sales office:

WHY won't you let me buy this car today?

Whenever they turn the heat up on you, put the ball back into their court and make THEM stumble for answers.

Remember, big-ticket purchases blur a person's concept of money. Can you imagine leaving a $200 tip for the waitress at Denny's (I eat upscale as you can tell)? Of course not! Yet, it seems like nothing when you're buying a $5000 car. Fighting to get a few hundred dollars off the price of a car is NOT petty. You have to labor just as long to give a $200 tip at a restaurant as you do to pay $5900 for a $5700 car.

Hopefully, I'm getting you psyched up. I really want you get a good deal whatever car you decide to get, Jeremy. Judging from your previous post, it sounds like you’re a pretty decent person (i.e., your philosophical quest for justice and fairness).

I haven’t had much of a pr
    I wrote so much, they truncated my post (sorry for the novel everybody)!

And now....the rest of the story:

oblem dealing with auto salespeople LATELY, but I’ve got that “just graduated from business school” look still and I think they can probably tell I’m probably going to be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] at first glance. Don't let them smell this “fairness thing” on you. When dealing with buttheads, sometimes you have to be a butthead too.

Trust me on one thing: nothing feels better than feeling confident you got a great deal on a good car (and knowing that you're not the customer that the sales staff will be laughing about over tomorrow's lunch break).

Keep us informed and good luck!

- Mike
    Yes, I'm back - again...

There are no laws on disclosure here. Auto dealers do not have to volunteer information about whether a car was a rental or not (or even if it was side-swiped by a Ford Exhibitionist). I.e., for the most part it's don't ask, don't tell (unless someone has doctored the emission system or tinkered with the odometer AND the dealer possesses this knowledge).

Any comments made regarding the car's condition could constitute an express warranty, however. And, as always, intentionally mistating facts is considered fraud (which is why salesmen are so famous for making vague statements like, "you won't find another one like this around").
    I'm so glad that the extent of my homework wasn't simply browsing Consumer Reports. You've offered some fantastic advice (extra kudos for form and function to Mike with the Denny's parable). I feel like a wind-up toy and I'm down right giddy to finally drive a car and start negotiating (of course, I'll have my poker face on and won't let my eagerness show). I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Also, I remeber the Walser people whining on KARE 11 about how unfairly they were being treated by Best Buy and the city of Bloomington and I always thought that place was annoying with their 500 gigantic flags. The only good thing about that dealership was that it made me homesick when I was living in Salt Lake and I saw "Fargo" and I recognized 494 and the highway signs for France Ave. and HWY 100 in the background during the scenes they shot on location there.

Anyway. I'm armed with knowledge and confidence, so the force is with me as I confront the Evil Empire of car salesmen (Ok, now I'm mixing Star Wars and Reaganesque paranoia allusions. I must be going now). I'll keep you posted.
    -jeremy
    I did not buy my car as some sort of status symbol. If I was interested in that sort of thing, I would have done the lease on that BMW 3 series. I am proud of my car and so don't wear a bag over my head.

You did not offend me. I realize that the Echo's looks are very polarizing and so don't hold your comments against you.

I would imagine that the Neon when it first came out suffered much the same slings and arrows.
    Gee, I must be losing my touch. I used to be able to offend people without even trying...

I guess I'll have to go after Vocus next time. Speaking of which, he hasn't posted here lately. My guess: the tranny in that Protege blew out again and he's walking back from a trip out to Yosemite.

I think he got embarrassed after seeing that last J.D. Power Quality survey - especially after what seemed like an eternity of blasting Chrysler for making unreliable cars. Yeesh, what's Mazda trying to do now anyway? They're starting to make Hyundai look good.

On a different note, I found it funny that Walser was trying to champion itself as the savior of Richfield when it had logged years and years of complaints from its residential neighbors because of the proximity of its used car PA system to their homes. It was very sad to see their neighbor and local landmark, Wally McCarthy's Oldsmobile, go however.

My dad used to take me there when I was a kid (so he could load up on free bratwurst and popcorn) and I have very fond memories. There aren't a lot of theme dealerships anymore (if you recall, the building and sales lot were designed to look like one big circus tent). Oh well, you take the good with the bad.

Lastly, don't you find it a bit irritating that every time you travel someplace out of the Midwest, they actually expect Minnesotans to talk with that same horrific accent the Coen brothers used for the movie Fargo? It's not like it's Norway for God's sake.

Little do these people know that their local broadcasters have been trained to speak with a midwestern "dialect" because it is considered the most grammatically correct (and accent free). I used to get so sick of calling into credit managers at work and hearing them say, "Gee, you're from Minnesota? You sure don't sound like it." It makes me wonder if these same people believed in re-animation after watching Night of the Living Dead. I just bet they drive Kias too.
    any idea how much it costs to replace a rear bumber on a 97 Neon? i have my dad driving cars before i get home, since i only have a couple of days, and he just looked at a 97 base with basically no options, 5 speed, in perfect condition inside and the exterior is excellent except that someone tapped and cracked the rear bumper and it's being held together with a bolt. it's got 67,000 miles and they're asking $5,500 at Burnsville Toyota. the sales guy said they could "probably" let it go for $4,800, so i'm thinking of offering 48 if they fix it themselves or $4,400 as is. any thoughts? it's that femme-ish light blue/purple color, so i'm not jumping at it. ya, sure, you betcha.
    -jeremy
    I sure hope you're not talking about that pastel lavender color I've seen on a few old Neons - that really is kind of nasty.

If you're seriously interested in the car though, try to deal on it during the last day of the month. Since this car is obviously a trade-in (Toyota dealers don't buy Dodges at auction), and the asking price is higher than market for the Twin Cities, there is a LOT more room for negotiation.

"Probably able to let it go for $4800" is sales-speak for "prepare to be screwed." I'd bet my Chrysler these guys didn't pay any more than $3200 for this car on trade. In fact, if you came back with this same car a week after buying it and tried to trade it in on a new Corolla (or some other equally uncharismatic Toyota product), they would probably tell you some big story about how weak the market is for used Neons and that they couldn't give you any more than $2500 for it.

Personally, I try to avoid Toyota dealers like the plague as they've become so accustomed to screwing people (people who volunteer to come in and pay MSRP for Camrys and RAV4's), they don't no how NOT to jerk people around.

Interestingly, Burnsville Toyota is THE dealership I attempted to purchase a used Honda Accord at (granted it was 6 years ago) and they demanded nothing less than a king's ransom for it - and that for a car that was in very poor condition!

Also, I've had work done on cars as part of purchase agreements and haven't been happy with the work either time. The dealership's goal is to maximize the profit on the car and that, of course, means cutting corners when making repairs. Worse yet, most of them want you to pay for the car BEFORE the work is done (so there is NO incentive there at all for them to do the work to your satisfaction - you already bought it).

If you decide to try to deal on this car, do yourself a favor and get an estimate on that bumper repair first. Almost any shop will give you a quick, FREE estimate on how much the repair will be and I believe there is a shop that does bodywork in that auto mall just a few blocks away from Burnsville Toyota (next to Firestone, Car-X, etc.) between Burnsville Center and the new Saturn dealership along Buck Hill Road. If you still decide you want the car at that time (you might be surprised at how expensive it is just to replace the bumper cover alone), you can use their written estimate to aid in the negotiation process.

But personally, I wouldn't bother fixing the bumper on a $4000 car (unless it looks totally unsightly or is likely to fall off if one of the coat hangers break). If you do any rush hour driving at all, chances are someone is going to rear-end soon enough anyway. I would just wait until then so that Allstate can pick up the tab.

Mike's Law states: purchasing a new car OR spending a great deal of money fixing up your old car increases the likelihood that you'll be involved in an automobile accident by 300%.
  • gisomgisom Member Posts: 144
    in my 95 highline has not been working for months. I pulled it out and everything looks fine, fuse okay. What gives?
    I am sure you made the suggestion about waiting to fix the bumper until it was hit again innocently, but what you were suggesting would be considered insurance fraud.
    I didn't say cause an accident. THAT is insurance fraud.

The odds are very much in your *favor* of getting into an accident if you do a lot of rush hour driving in a large city, however. And I'm an odds man.

Doing unneccessary bodywork on an older car seems financially unwise to me. From personal experience, it always seems like some moron runs into me right after I get bodywork done.

The last person who rear-ended me had the audacity to tell me that she "had something in her eye" - this despite the fact she had been driving at 65mph for the last 3 miles just 10 ft from my bumper! Hmmmm...go figure.

I believe it was the first accident I was able to predict 2 minutes ahead of time. It's like it had its own storyline.

So long as the asinine share the same roads as the rest of us, accidents will be unavoidable.
    If the person waits to fix the existing damage until he gets into an accident and tries to get the insurance company to cover the prior damage and the new damage, that is insurance fraud.

Understand now?
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Things are not as simple as you describe in insurance business.
    First of all they have professional inspectors.
    Second of all prior damages will definitely have rust that leads investigators to correct path.
    I am not saying that the inspector won't find the damage. I am saying trying to get someone to pay for prior damage upon a new accident is fraud. It is the effort and not the success that is required for fraud.
    I took it for $4,400. I probably had more wiggle room, but it's the car I wanted at the price I wanted to pay (which was $1,100 less than asking), so I feel pretty good about it. I can live with the color-and my girlfriend actually likes it (and ultimately it's all about what the girlfriend likes, isn't it?) Actually, I haven't paid for it yet-just secured $200 on my Visa and I'll pay when I get home next weekend, so I could still back out and eat the $200 if I really wanted to. But I got a Carfax report and it checks out well. It's had two owners and the last person bought it a year ago and put 20,000 miles on it, so I know it wasn't in the shop a whole lot during that time. I trust my dad, and he says it's immaculate inside and out, exept for the cracked bumper, which I got two seperate estimates on, both for $350. He says it's perfectly fine to drive, and he's pretty picky, so I'll probably just wait to get rear ended.

If my bumper is cracked and somebody hits me and I need to get a new bumper, why does it matter if it was cracked before that? I still would need a new bumper. If the initial crack didn't make the new damage any worse than it would have been otherwise, and the whole thing needs to be replaced, regardless of whether it had been in perfect shape or had peeling paint or a scratch or even a crack, what's the difference? I would still need a whole new bumper. If my stereo got stolen and insurance covered it, would it be wrong to not report that some of the buttons had not worked before it was stolen, so they should pay me less to replace it? If my door had a scratch on it that cost 300 bucks to fix, and I got sideswiped before I could fix it, is it also wrong to allow insurance to replace the door? The real abuse is that we get gouged for insurance, then if we use it, we get further screwed with higher premiums or dropped all together. Well, what the hell is it there for? I will never get as much out of insurance as I pay into it, so as long as I'm not breaking the law, I'm not too concerned with the ethics of such actions. I hope I'm not incriminating myself.
    Congrats on the new car. As long as you are happy that is what matters in the end. After all, you are the one making the payment.

I am not an insurance agent, but I believe that the amount you are given to fix your car could be pro-rated to account for prior damage.
  • voodoojonesvoodoojones Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1996 dohc auto neon.
    can I install transfer gears from another car (auto) to improve acceleration.

Will a 2.4l and trans from a PT cruiser fit in
    a neon.
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Majorthom is wright about prorating comment. They will not give you new bumper. They will pay you for the amount of new bumper minus the amount of prior damage. So don't count on it.
    This is probably an exercise in futility, but I'll go along.....How are they going to know if my bumper was alread cracked if it's hanging off the side of my car or in a thousand pieces on the ground after an accident? This is all speculative, but I understand the central theme of Mike's posts: there's not much point in making a marginally necessary repair on a car that's not worth a whole lot when in all likelihood I'll be fixing that very same part once the inevitable rear end collision occurs?

And thanks, Thom. All things considered, I am pretty happy with it. I can't wait to bring it home.
    There is a company in Florida that makes kits for putting the 2.4 in Neons. The 2.4 is higher and requires a custom engine mount to get it under the hood. This swap was written up in one of the Mopar magazines a while ago. I don't remember which one. I'll look around and see if I can find it. You may try their websites (Mopar Muscle, Mopar Action, High Performance Mopar). Generally I've found the magazine websites pretty useless but you might get lucky.
    First off, congratulations on your new (at least new to you) Neon, Jeremy. I hope it gives you a lot of trouble free miles.

That price doesn't sound too bad to me at all and since you ordered a carfax report, you should have some extra peace of mind. Better yet, imagine how many thousands of dollars more you would have paid for a comparable Honda Civic.

On a different note, this insurance debate is getting quite heated. But, I think Zapatista makes a very good point (that I was having difficulty getting across to some apparently...).

So here's a hypothetical: if my bumper has a big dent in it now, I get it [the bumper] replaced and subsequently get into an accident two weeks later in which it has to be replaced once more, what is the difference in repair cost that will be charged to my insurer for the 2nd repair? If you guessed $0, you would be correct.

Causing an accident or submitting a fradulent claim is one thing. What I am referring to is quite another.

My current vehicle (a 1991) has 174K miles on it. Yet, I am paying the same $$ in premiums that I would if the car had 50K miles.

It's been awhile since I've had a law class, but it would be VERY difficult to prove the example I initially gave to be fraud. And it isn't fraud if you can't prove it. Fraud is a legal definition, not some individual's position on fairness or morality.

To further prove this point, try to answer this question: when was the last time you saw an insurer give a discount to a customer for driving a car with previous body damage? A car with a dent in the bumper is worth less than the identical car without, but with 999 out of 999 insurers, the premiums charged will be identical. Why? Because if either car gets rear-ended, the price for repairs will be the same!

It WOULD be fraud, however, if you filed a claim for the Neon you just bought a week from now falsely stating that someone hit the vehicle just after you bought it.

It WOULD ALSO be fraud if you got into an accident in which a different end of the vehicle received damage and you decided to "lump" the rear end damage on to that claim.

It is for these above two situations that your insurer requires you to state previous body damage when insuring a "new" used vehicle with them.

One more example: if I bought a car with a broken window and someone later stole my antenna (hey, it could happen), I would be obligated to inform the insurer that the window was previously damaged when filing the vandalism/theft claim. I would not, however, be obligated to tell my insurer the antenna had been previously bent in a carwash.

Hopefully, this makes it a little more clear.

I did not, and will not, advocate staging accidents or submitting fradulent claims, so take a chill pill.

Now, can we please move on?

Let's get back to talking about the Neon. This is, after all, the Neon board.
    If you add extra weight to the front of the vehicle for which it wasn't originally designed to carry, won't you be giving up some of the neutral handling characteristics of the car?

Wouldn't it be easier to just add on a turbo-charger kit to the original 2.0?
    If there is dent in your rear bumper, and in the unlikely event someone runs into the back of your car and heavely damages your bumper, I'm sure their insurance company well repair the rear of your car, to like new! The prior dent is cosmetic, the new more severe damage will be considered collision damage. NO fraud is involved, unless Zap2000 some how caused the accident! BTW, I'm sure the odds are slim on someone hitting a car you really want hit? "Murphy's Law"!

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • voodoojonesvoodoojones Member Posts: 5
    I was considering the 2.4l as a replacement if I found a wrecked donor car. This may be the cheapest upgrate. 167ft.lbs of torque is some improvement over 133ft.lbs. Higher rated springs would solve the weight issue. Thanks for the answers!
    One of the thing that attracted me to the Neon (both first body style and current body style) was its somewhat distinctive look compared to the other small cars on the market. I will miss that when the third body style comes out. I have a feeling that there will be no similarity between this new body style and the previous ones. At least we have a few more years for this current body style to be around.
    So here's the deal, folks.

According to Edmunds, there is now a $2,500 (yes twenty-five hundred "big ones") rebate on 2001 5-spd Neons in my zip code (Mpls, MN).

On top of that, I'm eligible for a $400 college grad incentive from Chrysler and I just noticed that Chrysler is throwing in an extra $500 if you download a certificate off their website (as of 8-25-01).

In addition, I should able to purchase one through a fleet agent for $50 over dealer invoice (they're much easier to deal with than Joe Carsalesman BTW) because of an agreement with my employer.

So my question is: does it seem unreasonable to try for $3350 less than "dealer invoice" on a 5-spd 2001 Neon ES? I know that the incentives all come out of Chrysler's pocket, not the dealer's. Still...
    Be careful that the $50 over invoice (or any of the other offers) prevent you from using all of them at the same time.
    Actually, that isn't really my big concern. When you buy through the fleet agent (the last three new cars my parents bought have all been through fleet agents), you get a lot less "gaming" action than if you were dealing with the reg sales staff.

Actually, when my parents got their 2001 Olds Intrigue this spring, they bought through an agent for $50 over invoice and got 1. the $1500 Olds loyalty rebate (they qualified by purchasing a new Olds back in 1996), 2. $2000 in GM card rebates, and 3., the $2000 Olds consumer rebate. GM also throws in an extended warranty as part of the phase-out too. They actually - as amazing as it seems to me - paid almost $8000 less than sticker for a new car they actually ordered-out with the exact options they wanted (none of this "out of inventory" BS). Furthermore, I went with my dad for the "negiotiations", and it was less nerve-wrecking than trying to buy wallpaper.

The prices through the agent are fixed, so whatever consumer rebates are available are just added bonuses.

My big concern at this point is finding one with the options I desire (it defeats the purpose of buying new if you have to settle for a silver car with no sunroof, alloy wheels and leather seats IMO). If I didn't care about color or options, I'd just buy another used car. And you can't really do an order-out on a 2001 anymore since they've stopped making them (yes, I'm stating the obvious again), so what you see is what you get.

Part of me would also like to wait to see what's coming for 2002...but while I'm waiting, those good deals are disappearing. Ughhh!!!!

If anyone has the inside scoop yet on changes/improvements for the '02 Neon, please share with the board! Thanks.
    2002 Dodge Neon-
    Anyone who loves NASCAR Winston Cup racing has to expect that Dodge showrooms are celebrating the marques return to NASCAR this year after a 15-year absence. Dodge has introduced special motorsports edition packages for Neon, Intrepid and Dakota vehicles that are flame red, black or silver. The package includes race-inspired wheels and tires, motorsports badging and a motorsports track bag/cooler with Dodge racing collectibles. Last but not least, the Dodge Neon SE is offered with a $660 Power Pak package that makes several popular options; including a single CD player; power windows, door locks, mirrors and trunk lid release; and 15-inch tires available on the base Neon.

-Larry
    Try this site for more info:

http://www.carsfast.net/Dodge/Neon.html
    2004 Neon: Based on the recently introduced 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer, the upcoming Neon redesign will offer its own unique styling. The Lancer's 2.0-liter engine mated to either a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic will be the most likely engine/transmission package.
    Thanks for the updates.

I'm kind of thinking the changes (other than the 4-spd auto) for 2002 are going to be nil for the Neon. It looks like just option groupings and colors are likely to change, which isn't all that bad when you think about it.

I was kind of hoping for thicker glass and more body insulation on the '02 (we'll see when the October issues of Motor Trend and Car and Driver surface in a couple weeks) for Sedan DeVille-like quietness, but that's probably a bit unrealistic.
  • aruam94aruam94 Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2 new front Pirelli tires for my 1998 Neon. A couple weeks
    later, I had the brakes changed. Now, my car is making whirling
    noises as the front left wheel is moving. When I brake, it sounds
    like an airplane coming to a stop with a soft noise sounding similar
    to a descending whistle. Not only that, but it seems like my front
    axle is making noises as a I accelerate and then slowly step on the
    brake pedal. I've had the mechanic take off the brakes, clean them,
    and reinstall them, all while I was watching. Nothing looked out of
    place or bent or anything. He isn't sure what the problem is.

Can anyone help me figure this out?? please.... I carpool, and I want
    to know if it is just the car needing some lubrication or if it is
    something a lot more serious.
    How about a little more information? Aluminum wheels or Wheelcovers? If wheelcovers check for bent or broken attachments. Did the tire shop or your mechanic put the lugnuts on with an impact wrench? If so the rotor could have been warped. Does the noise change in intensity with a change in direction? For example gets louder turning one way and goes away turning the other, if so it's probably a hub bearing. Were the rotors turned? If so it may have not been properly done, if not your new pads could just be working their way through a rust ring on the rotor that your old pads did not make contact with. How many miles? Could it be getting time for CV joints? Check your CV boot(s). Are they intact? If there is a rip your lubricant is probably gone and the joint shortly will be.
  • agaragemanagarageman Member Posts: 3
    I woke up today and looked at the new car adds as usual and got turned on by an add from a Dodge dealer in suburban Chicago for 2002 neons for $9473 with auto and air (my 2 requirements). Took a drive out 1/2 hour drive from home to the dealer and checked them out. I figured I couldn't go wrong! My temporary driver--a beat '89 Sonoma pickup is semi shot and the wife won't drive it. Your price $650 or best offer. I had the orignal "95" Neon since new till totaled in August of 2000(air bag worked great--my only injury waws a sore thumb). Anyway,I picked out silver over with the magic 2 miles on the odometer over the blue( I don't wash cars frequently)test drove it and put a few miles on it. It fit like a glove!. Somebody else was buying the only 2002 garnet red $9500SE neon while I hemmed and hawed so I sprung for it. The paperwork went fast$10473 +$815 Chicago tax,$143 IL title & license, -$1000 rebate for an out the door bill of $10480. Is this a deal? I'll let you know how we like this one.
    I haven't been able to find 2002 Neon pricing anywhere yet, but that seems like an amazing deal.

They must be selling them at true dealer cost.

Are you sure it was a 2002? If so, you got a damn good deal. Pat yourself on the back.

Please post the name of the dealership from which you purchased the car. I think a lot of us that are within driving distance of Chicago would be interested in price shopping with these guys in the future.
  • agaragemanagarageman Member Posts: 3
    I was delighted to find an overdrive in the automatic I picked up at Downers Grove Dodge this evening. I hadn't seen any test reports yet on the 2002's and the dealers don't even have brocures for them yet. But there it was: a 4 speed automatic overdrive. The silver Neon purred like a kitten on the way home tonight. The motor really gets to run on noticably lower rpms in that steeper 0-drive. This new neon even has frames around them windows--not like my old '95 red one. The whole car seems to be put together real tight. Well, that's one complaint we won't have to read about anymore from the test drivers who said the auto needed the overdrive for the last 7 years. Incidenally, I got one of only 3 of the 2002 SEs that the dealer advertised in the Chicago Tribune this morning(9-7-01)at the special advertised price of $9473. The other two went quick. One was being bought by a nice young lady while I was there and the other went just after I bought mine. Of course they have a lot of other new cars. In fact I almost bought a 2002 4cylinder Caravan SE (auto and air)at the advertised price of $16,500 after I test drove it today--but I opted for the Neon. Those bright halogens lit up the road nice on the way home.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    The warranty was extended (in the U.S. at least) to 5 years/60,000 miles on the powertrain as well - likely the Korean competition with the 10-year warranties had started making inroads into Neon sales.