Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Back before we decided on which mini-van to buy I hung out on a bunch of them including the Toyota site. This seemed to be a big problem over there and was as I remember it from using the recirculate instead of the fresh air setting on the air conditioner. It was found that if you use the recirculate or what ever they call it on DC vans that you should run it on fresh air for a while offen so it introduces fresh air into the duct work keeping things clean. How they found this was it was only happening to the users who always used recirulation. Don't know what you do but could be the answer.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Check the ac condenser drainage tube for blockage.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I agree with dmathews. I always keep my ventilation system set on fresh air, unless I really need recirc, then I use it for a short period of time and put it back on fresh air. I never have problems with musty smelling ventilation system. On the other hand, my wife uses the "set it and forget it" method, typically leaving it on "Max" (recirc) all summer and her vehicles would stink. However, her 2000 GCS Sport automatically resets the A/C system to fresh air every time it is started up (a great feature IMO) so no problemo. Bgood2day, I would think DC would still have this feature on the 2001s?
  • sdpdevelopersdpdeveloper Member Posts: 8
    I just got my transmission replaced. Reverse gear went out and I limped home. Just as I was going into gear and moving, chirping sound would go off and the van would go into limp mode so I could limp home. I was coming back from the store (same day I got the van back) and I heard, what I thought, were four chirps like a switch. What is this, and should I be concerned?
  • gallygally Member Posts: 3
    Among the numerous problems I have had with my '96 Grand Caravan, currently 2 are bugging me:
    1) Fuel Gauge: When the tank is between full and 3/4 full, the "out of fuel" bell rings and light comes on intermittently and the gauge drops a little momentarily. It happens at different rates but it can be as often as every few seconds. Very annoying!
    Dealer wants $400 for the "module" plus labor including dropping the gas tank and is not sure that will fix the problem.
    Has anyone experienced this same problem?
    Is there any way to fix it cheaper?
    *** Is there any way to disconnect the "out of fuel" bell? ***
    2) Front-end "clunk": When I put the van in reverse and back out of a parking spot or my driveway, I hear several clunks or thunks coming from the front end. I have already has the bushings on the stabilizer bar replaced and the alignment done.
    Has anyone experienced this problem?
    If so, what else needs to be fixed?
  • sdpdevelopersdpdeveloper Member Posts: 8
    Go through the salvage yard. I got an ABS master cylinder for $100 compared to the $450 the dealer wanted ($450 for core charge). I believe very highly in getting used parts from reputable recyclers.
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    What kind of 1996 Grand Caravan do you have? How many miles does the van currently have?
  • jimmehjimmeh Member Posts: 3
    I have to say that after spending a few hours (on work time thankfully) reading thorugh the past few hundred posts, I especially enjoy posts by: Carlton1, 4adodge, and indydriver (among others). As well I enjoyed the part about Chryslers future under Mercedes. If Chrysler products share hardware with Mercedes products, then we will all benefit. And for whoever it was that said that twenty somethings wont be driving vans, I beg to differ. I am 29, and am on my second van, the first being a 96 Ford Windstar, and the current being a 01 DGC. Past cars have included: 87 Dakota, 91 Z24, 94 Probe GT, 96 Windstar, 99 Malibu and now the DGC. I chose the DGC strickly for styling and comfort reasons. I prefered the way it looked to all the other minivans, and the interior rocks! I will never be without at least dual zone climate control again. The imports always end up looking akward the exact moment that their replacement model comes out, and the new Windstars interiors have gone down hill and their styling has turned clunky. The DGC may not be the best minivan out there in every category, BUT overall I feel it was the best choice. And aside from 1 very minor warranty repair, there are no problems with this car. And even if there is, so what? Its covered by warrantly. As for Chryslers future, there are many models that I am looking forward to getting: Liberty, Grand Cherokee, Concord LXI, future Durango models, as well as more vans. So I am doing my part to ensure Chryslers continued vitality!!
    jimmeh, anyone who is in their twenties and feels secure enough to drive a minivan rocks, in my opinion. I am a teenager who enjoys Chrysler minivans for the same reasons as you. They are the most comfortable and attractive yet functional minivans on the market. Enjoy your new van!

-Adam
  • droptop1droptop1 Member Posts: 2
    I have really one problem with this van (which I like alot and am basically very happy with). The problem is an annoying squeaking/creaking noise coming from the floor area near pillar B on the passenger side. The exact area is in front of the second row seat. And the noise is noticeable when any pressure is placed on the floor or when driving. I thought the creaking was from the power door track but cannot really tell. Has anyone experienced such a problem?
  • engineergirl1engineergirl1 Member Posts: 1
    you would think we would have learned our lesson after the first one. Now on our second Voyager/Caravan transmission (same as the other one) went at 50,000. Dealership and DC Corp says, "Sorry, not covered".

Unless you have plenty of money to spend - save it and buy something else. Those that have had no problems are few and just very lucky.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    hey engineergirl,

the new ones have a 7yr/100k powertrain warranty...now you can get that tranny fixed for a small deductible...
  • gallygally Member Posts: 3
    It is a Grand Caravan SE with just over 60K miles on it.
  • webndebwebndeb Member Posts: 3
    What a struggle!! OK you Honda lovers, bring on the badgering. Even after our '98 Grand Caravan SE broke down in the FAST lane of the 405 freeway in LA, I still like the van. Trans failed at low speed (25 mph)-basically seized and halted the van. Kinda scarry on the freeway in LA, but knowing who to call made the situation less traumatic. DC told us that any repairs are our responsibility, since vehicle is out of warranty @ 75,000 miles. We previously owned 2 Ford Aerostars ('87 & '93). The Dodge by FAR is more reliable and COMFORT and DRIVEABILITY is unsurpassed. The Toyota had bad blind spots, Honda was WAY too cost prohibitive. (I could have replaced the broken trans 5 times with the money we saved buying a used Dodge vs. a used Honda). Plus, my wife loves it!! I have to admit, though, DC MUST so something about this transmission. Has anyone had any luck getting blood out of the DC stone?? Sorry for the bad cliche'! Web
    If the 4 speed automatic in our 2000 Town & Country went out tomorrow, I would still want to come back for another Chrysler van. They have too many useful features that the others just don't have. I guess that makes me a slave to Chrysler...
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Too many people questioning DC minivans for me to sit idly by. We know dozens of people with DC minivans of all sizes and shapes with all various engine/transmission combinations. ONLY 1 transmission failure and that was on a 1996 T&C LXi with 150,000 miles on it. Guess what? The owner had transmission repaired and is AGAIN using the T&C to tow a rather large trailer. He and his wife are not worried about DC transmissions.
    Meanwhile, I have a 2002 T&C eL AND a 2001 Ody EX in my driveway. The Odyssey was treated very well by the first owner and is in mint condition with only 11,507 miles on it. Each has nice features that I wish could be had on both minivans. I like the Magic Seat and clever seating arrangement of the Odd EX BUT I like the Triple Zone Temperature Control of T&C eL where driver, front passenger and rear passengers can each select the preferred comfort level. I also love the complete overhead console of the T&C eL with compass/outside temperature/Trip Computer.
    It is fun to drive the T&C eL and then switch and drive the Ody EX. Each is quiet, smooth, comfortable, etc. I find it very difficult to notice any difference in the driving and handling of the 2 minivans....or with my prior 1999 GC SE. All 3 are great minivans. Our daughter purchased our 1999 GC SE from the Chrysler dealer at the time we traded it in with 37,240 miles.
    I have also driven a 2002 Odyssey EX-Nav-Leather with added RES with MSRP $34,000. We do NOT buy a minivan with all the features offered by either DaimlerChrysler or Honda.
    AND the facts are, Adam's family does own a 2000 Town & Country that he drives daily. His father drives the 2001 PT Cruiser.
    Here is the post repeated for convenience:
    ...."If the 4 speed automatic in our 2000 Town & Country went out tomorrow, I would still want to come back for another Chrysler van. They have too many useful features that the others just don't have. I guess that makes me a slave to Chrysler..."

It would REALLY be nice if Odyssey owners would stop trolling in all DC minivan forums to justify buying an Odyssey. My wife and I own a DC minivan and I drive a 2001 Odyssey EX quite frequently. Both are nice minivans. I do not have to trash the Odyssey to be satisfied with our DC minivan.
    carleton1,

i doubt half those dc minivan trashers own anything other than a bicycle...
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    Have you checked the motor mounts, specifically the top end mount? On transverse mounted engines there is typically a top end mount to limit and cushion the pitching that occurs when the engine shifts into forward and reverse. It sounds like the rubber seat within the top mount on your vehicle has failed and that may be causing the clunks you are hearing when shifting into reverse.
  • maximarocksmaximarocks Member Posts: 2
    The logic of the average minivan buyer seems to be "bigger is better". The newer Honda and DC minivans seem to be getting close to Expedition size. Is paying $25 - $30K for a minivan that has the same motor and transmission as a smaller and lighter $15 - $20K sedan make any sense ? Of course the motor and trany are not going to be as reliable in a larger truck as they will in a sedan. DC knows how to make a long lasting transmission, their trucks don't seem to have any problems. At one time luxury makers like Jensen and Auston Martin bought transmissions from Chrysler.

Last year I bought a Maxima with 65K miles on it, Do I worry about the transmission exploding ? No.

Why do minivan owners care so much about about size and not about repair bills ? The smallest minivan still has way more room than the average sedan. Why do they want them bigger ?
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    I looked an an 02 DC/GC this week and it's the same size as my '94 GC. Overall, it's the same length as a Lumina sedan which is probably a foot longer than the Maxima.

The DC trans issue does not appear a major concern anymore since DC replaced so many under warranty including mine, which by the way did not explode; the shift quality just slowly degraded.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    have you ever tried to put a 32" TV set into your Maxima? Or pick up 6 people from the airport and each of them have their own bags?
  • webndebwebndeb Member Posts: 3
    Gotta agree with tomtomtom in that when it comes to people moving, there's nothing like a minivan. A Suburban or other SUV could get the job done. For us, smooth ride, and ease of entry/ exit are important. After owning 2 Aerostars, both short and extended (happily), moving up to a GC was going light years ahead. The creature comforts/ride and overall room have me convinced to stay with DC. I'm not into bashing Honda, Toyota, or any other make. I do like to BUY AMERICAN whenever possible.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I owned a '91 Caravan (short wheelbase) for 8 years. When I had two small kids, it was plenty big enough, and I really appreciated the small size (about the length of a compact sedan). But then child #3 came along, the other two grew and got into Scouting (meaning camping trips with lots of gear), and all of a sudden the Caravan got a little small. So instead of getting a '99 CS (my plan), I got the GCS for about the same payment (due to bigger discounts on the GCS). And now that I have it, I really appreciate the extra room inside--leg room and cargo room. And as has been noted, the GCS is still only the length of a mid-sized sedan. But I prefer a small car (I have an Elantra) for personal use, as I don't like driving a bigger car than I need.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Let's stick to the topic and let the flames die down please.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • maximarocksmaximarocks Member Posts: 2
    A intrepid is 113" wheelbase with 3487 Lbs. A Town and Country is 119", 4358 Lbs. That extra 1000 Lbs. has got to take its toll on the drive train. I love the idea of a minivan and I have owned vans. But as long as people buy a product that breaks, the manufacturer will sell them. Yes you can haul people and objects with a minivan that you can't with a sedan, but so can a pickup or SUV that usually have a motor and transmission designed to handle the extra loads. Chrysler had a great idea with the minivan, but I don't like the way they have executed their idea. Why not make them smaller or design a power train that can handle the extra load ?
    maximarocks (sounds familiar),

we all buy vehicles that are gonna break, eventually, doesn't matter what brand it is. in late '99 or early '00 dc upgraded the differential on the 41te (minivan tranny). that was the last remaining weak link in the powertrain. this info from a dc tech friend of mine. i have no doubt that the dc minivan tranny is now fully competitive (performance/reliability) with any other likestyle tranny out there.
    Point is that with the DC you know there's a good chance the trans will break before 50K so you get the 70K powertrain warranty and let DC pay for it.

If you must have a vehicle that will go gazzilion miles without breaking you probably would have to buy a manual trans sedan with overhead cam engine like the Accord.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Why single out Chrysler for the powertrains they put into their minivans? All minivans (except Astro/Safari) use basically the same design--the design Chrysler pioneered almost 20 years ago. Other vans like the Odessy, Windstar, Sienna, and GM vans are similar in size and weight to the DC vans, and have powertrains used also in cars. Yes, a truck or full-sized (truck-based) SUV can handle heavy loads better than a minivan, but with a huge penalty in comfort, handling, and fuel economy.
    pluto5,

what evidence do you have to support your 50k mile theory?? my dad has a 96 t&c with 80k...no tranny work except for fluid/filter change. electronics tech at my office has a '92 gc that had it's original tranny til approx 120k...same van now has well over 200k with no other major parts replacements. and of course both vans have the 41te tranny.
    i know some folks had early (low mileage) failures, both those have been mostly limited to the late 80s through early-mid 90s tranny. a blanket statement saying the current tranny is only good for 50k is utterly ridiculous...and shows that you have no idea about all the changes that have occurred to the 41te since 1995.

as for accord ohc engines...timing belt failures have zapped a number of those engines...!
    Just anecdotal I admit but nevertheless have not met anyone--family or co-workers-- who got anywhere near 80K on these units, and I haven't seen any attempt on the part of Chysler to publicize any improvements. Moreover, the replacement unit which Chrysler paid for doesn't have any better shift quality than the original. Glad to hear someone else has had better experience since our next van will likely be GC anyway.
    The transmission of the 1996 T&C LXi owned by DJ and Heidi failed at 150,000 miles. They use it to tow a trailer larger than recommended size. They had transmission repaired and CONTINUE to us their 96 T&C LXi to tow that trailer.
    Our 2002 T&C eL has a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty on the powertrain that came at NO extra cost to us on 1/26/2002.
    When will Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, Mazda, Nissan, and VW provide a warranty as good on their transmissions and engines?
    pluto,

my dad's t&c mini shifts exceptionally smooth, and has since day one. just a month ago me and a co-worker rented an '02 grand caravan (not our first choice) from thrifty while away at a conference. tranny in said van was supremely smooth...

as for dc publicizing tranny improvement...that would imply there were faults...therefore that ain't gonna happen. the only reason i know about the improvments is because of my chrysler tech buddy...
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    That is no reason for saying DC has better trans. In the early days all cars came with a 5/50 warranty and we all know how good they were, and I'm not saying that DC may not have improved them only that you are using a poor example.
    The 7/70 or 7/100 warranty isn't necessarily an expression of confidence since it's non-transferable. DC knows that many owners sell their vehicles after a few years, and some will be wrecked. The warranty is a marketing technique to get your confidence.

DC never admitted their was a problem even with its early 4 speed trans. They just rode out the bad publicity. Now they send me incentives to take a test drive and get $50 of gift certficates, debit cards,whatever. Keep 'em coming, baby.
    Forgot to add as far as tech changes on DC trans I have seen dozens on the NTSB site but IMHO they are like the Dutch boy trying to plug the leaks in the dike.
    pluto,

i'm not really sure what your aim is other than to try and flame by making blanket statements that are based on very little fact or reality. tsbs are meant to help dealerships detect and diagnose customer problems. they make little or no reference to large scale model year changes such as the switch to a different type of internal seal or the beefing up of the spider gears in the differential...

btw, if you are of dutch ancestry, plug away...!
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    carleton1,

Hyundai and Kia have even more confidence in their transmissions than does DaimlerChrysler - after all, when will DaimlerChrysler step up and back theirs with a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty?
    "Customer problems", really?? I thought the board was about minivan problems. Maybe you have it right, though, to Chrysler it's a customer problem til they decide there is something wrong with their trans. Sorry I don't have a database on the problems. But I can tell you that shift quality of our replacement unit is no better than original.
    obviously this topic is filled with rockheads...which is unfortunately an edmunds townhall epidemic...bye...bye...
    And why ask when DC will offer the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty like Kia and Hyundai when NO OTHER company but Kia and Hyundai have a longer warranty than DC 7 year 100,000 mile warranty?
    Apparently owners of DC vehicles find them very comfortable and fun to drive and a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty would be meaningless. I know very few people who drive 10,000 miles or less in each year when they have a nice vehicle.
    Are Kia and Hyundai so uncomfortable and drive so poorly that it takes 10 years to accumulate 100,000 miles?
    DC vans are comfortable and the Infinity sound systems are very good for factory sound IMO. Beat Odyssey on both the counts. But the DC powertrain warranty should be transferable and why not for 10/100,000. Engine and trans should last that long IMO. (But I didn't find the GC/Sport or the Ody fun to drive.)
    Instead of complaining that DC powertrain is only 7 year 100,000 miles while Kia and Hyundai are 10 year 100,000 miles people should remember that Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, etc. do not have any 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
    At least for Honda, Toyota and Nissan, their past products' reliability has impressed enough people that buyers will purchase new models without the added incentive of extended warranties. And given that GM is aggressively pushing both price and quality, people will buy their cars without the added warranties (note too that GM has escaped most of the horrendous engine and transmission problems that have plagued vans from both DaimlerChrysler and Ford).

Seems to me carleton1 is pretty sensitive about anything said that counters his opinions on DaimlerChrysler vans - rakes people over the coals over it, questions their opinions, and when someone dares to point out the illogic of his own posts (i.e., that DaimlerChrysler has more confidence in its powertrains than other makers have in theirs) by using a reductio-ad-absurdum extension to an automaker that by his post, has more confidence than D-C does, that person gets flamed.

Seems to me the public ought to be able to hear from both sides - those who've had good experiences with D-C vans, and those who've had terrible experiences. Leave the personal commentary out of the discussion, or leave it to the hosts to deem acceptable and unacceptable behavior.

pluto5,

Minivans aren't fun to drive for the majority of the population - they're bought for their practicality, not their handling and dynamics; that goes for all of them. It's also one reason we're seeing a resurgence in station wagons again - people get tired of cumbersome minivans and want back into something that's more enjoyable to drive. There's no better evidence of that than the fact that the company that killed off all its station wagons in favor of vans, is coming out with a new station wagon again (the Chrysler Pacifica).
    Since there's a limited choice of wagons the next alternative seems to be the SUV since we are used to better view from van. IMHO 02 GC/Sport was more comfortable to ride and drive than the Odyssey but I don't want to buy any vehicle with so little confidence that I need an extended warranty.
    i think it would be good for some of you to visit this site:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

eneth accuses carl of attacking the credability of people who question the reliability of DC minivans. If this is the case, eneth is just as guilty of doing just the opposite. eneth has never said a single possitive thing about DC minivans and bashes them at any chance he gets. i wouldnt be one bit suprised if i saw him standing on a street corner waving a sign in red ink that says ,"don't buy DC vehicles, they are unreliable death traps." personaly, i would much rather take the advice of someone who has owned two DC minivans and occasionaly drives a Honda Odyssey along with test driving many other makes and and models, as in carelton's case rather than listen to someone who constantly trashes DC at any opportunity he gets.

for eneth, a trouble-free chrysler van is a very rare occurance. however, i have know many people who have had great experiences with their dc vans as well as some who have had minor to serious problems with theirs (which is sadly a larger than should be minority). we have owned two chrysler vans and both have been excellent, trouble free vehicles. basicly, it does not matter what chrysler does to eneth. they could offer a 20 year 200,000 mile warranty and he would still say they dont have confidence in their powertrains and are still unsafe deathtraps. with eneth, chrysler can do no right.

i prefer to live in the present rather than the past and aknowledge the progress chrysler has made over the last few years in safety and reliability. the 41te 4-speed auto trany is now able to compete with the competition in terms of reliability and performance. even edmunds said their 2001 town & country limited's 3.8 engine and 4-speed transmission worked better together than that of the 2001 odyssey. i have driven two 2001 DC minivans and their transmissions shifted much smoother than the one in our 2000 town & country does.
    maybe not, but chrysler sure has done it's part to make them more exciting to drive than those from other makes. a 2002 grand caravan es is the perfect example. not only is it a looker as far as minivans go, but it has some very sporty equipment including the torquey and powerful 3.8 v6, 17 inch chrome wheels with performance tires, load leveling suspension, sway bar, fog lamps, autostick transmission, and excellent handling. as edmunds.com says, "it is a drivers minivan."

oh and lets not forget, a disc cd changer with the infinity sound system to pump out the jams during all those fun trips to the soccer tournament and grochery store!
    "Driver's minivan" ranks right up there with "exciting refrigerator". People don't buy minivans for driving excitement - they buy them out of necessity. Unfortunately, what started out as a simple exercise in an alternative to large station wagons has similarly grown bloated and less efficient over time - which again, is one reason minivan sales have cooled rapidly.

As many of my friends and relatives have found out with large SUVs, they're cumbersome to live with after a while - and tastes shift. The minivan has already peaked in popularity and is on the decline overall - unfortunately for DaimlerChrysler, which is still very dependent on them.

Even DaimlerChrysler sees the handwriting on the wall - witness the production testing of the Citadel, and the next-generation of Mercedes wagons. There'll still be a role for minivans, but I suspect a lot of people have figured out that for day to day use, a wagon works as well or better - and that they can rent a minivan when they need one, rather than having to drive the beast everywhere.

It'll also be interesting to see how things shake out as demand falls - remember that some automakers are capable of shifting production from vans to cars on the same assembly line, with no lost production. Others end up forced to discount products so they can keep the lines running.

As for Chrysler Group's progress in minivan safety, well - given all the past problems, it wouldn't take much to improve (and it should be noted that the new vans still trail those from Ford, Toyota and Honda in crash safety, despite DaimlerChrysler's longer experience building them).