Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Sedans Pre-2008

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    well, for one it needs HP and sports suspension before it should get a SHO or SVT tag.

Sounds like mostly an appearance package.
  • ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    I think the SES Sport is a relatively new sub-model (like new for mid-year 2002, showing up maybe in March or so). A lot of them seem to come in a new exterior color (a charcoal grey). I have noticed a bunch of them at the local dealer.
  • sculldog33sculldog33 Member Posts: 19
    The Sables also offer an appearance package called the "platinum edition". This is on top of the already "top-of-the-line" Sable LS Premier package. For the Taurus, I believe the SES is the equivalent of the LS Premier. Not sure about the advertising, but this does show up in Edmunds' online info.

As for the car, for the Sable LS Premier at least, they did do shock/spring recalibrations as I recall as part of the 2000 model after receiving complaints with the '99. My 2000 isn't some autobahn cruiser, but it handles and rides very well.

FYI to those shopping these cars, when I was purchasing the 2000 Sable, a salesman indicated that Ford offered better deals on the Sable sedan (over the Taurus sedan) and vice versa for the wagons. I did in fact find this to be the case back then at least. Not clear why this is. One nice feature on my Sable and not on the top end Taurus at the time was integrated fog lights, and I also think the trunk and hood lines on the Sable are nicer. In the Northeast, and some other selected areas, Mercury also offers free leather, moonroof and ABS on the high end Sable's which might not be the same for the Taurus. This version is the Sable LS Premier Touring Edition. I've seen ads in the Boston area for these with everything but the Mach audio and side airbag/traction control options for $19399 after rebates. Lot of car for the money!

Get all the options and you could be driving the Sable LS Premier Platinum Touring Edition! That's a mouthful!
  • sableowner2sableowner2 Member Posts: 11
    I have a '98 Sable with nearly all the bells and whistles--including the Mach Audio System. However, my car does not have the factory CD changer. I called my local Lincoln-Mercury Dealer to see if they had the magazine in stock, but I was told that Ford no longer carries the changers for that model year. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any response would be greatly appreciated.
  • jeffrey15jeffrey15 Member Posts: 61
    Any word on what may be changing for 2003? Heard there was going to be a minor restyling.

Jeff
  • robertclark1robertclark1 Member Posts: 3
    My Taurus SES Sport model DOES seem to have a much tauter suspension than the two Tauri I rented.
    Agreed more horsepower would be needed to earn a SHO badge.
    And, of course, the now obligitory white gauges...
    WHITE GAUGES...YES...oooo but now we can have "chronograph style" gauges, or "electroluminescent" ones.....have also seen body color gauge faces (2004 GTO).

SVT should just make simple SHO, yes I love my cam-busting v8 motor, but if they are saying they can't make the v8 anymore I would be happy with the Duratec v6, tuned by SVT for more hp (260 shouldn't be a problem). Then, a six speed manual option (and also for auto fans make a decent shifting auto)and good SVT suspension.

Just the HO motor, tranny options/improvements and sport suspension tire option shouldn't be more than 2-3 grand over a basic Taurus.

Imagine being able to check "SVT", "SHO" or "SVO" option on a base Taurus......you could then have a low priced canyon carver with high HP for low price!

Then maybe a couple of luxury package options, and maybe just alacarte choices of stuff like sunroof and leather/sport seats. I would even buy leatherette if it was available.

A body kit ground effects sports package could be standard or optional.

Can you imagine a 260hp, 6 speed Maxima killer with basic equipment, ABS, and sunroof, for around 20 grand? That would put Taurus back on track with Taurus sales.

If Ford just got those basics right, they sure would send the Taurus out with the spirit of the original SHO.
  • ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    Try Radios and More in NY State. (www.radiosandmore.com). I have the Ford CD changer from them in my '98 Taurus. They will carry the exact Ford unit, magazines, and the cable needed to hook up the system. I believe this will also work with the Ford Mach system, but they are very knowledgeable and would be able to say for sure with a quick call or email. They are friendly, helpful, and have great customer service. Free overnight shipping for orders over $100 too. I recommend them highly.

The ST-6 changer package is what you want to add a changer.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Does anyone know if the current generation '00 and newer Taurus have a stainless exhaust system?

I hope they do, as my '90 Taurus did and I never had to replace it in 10 years--and in northern climate with lots of winter road salt, cold startup vapor condensation etc. I hope they didn't abandon the stainless exhaust as a cost cutting measure.
  • sableowner2sableowner2 Member Posts: 11
    Jeffrey15 and Ehenness your suggestions were very helpful. I am a little uneasy about installing the changer myself but at least this is a start.
    2000 Sable at least has the stainless steel exhaust.
    Thanks, my guess is Taurus likely is also stainless, as I would imagine they share the same exhaust components. Sheet metal and option packages has been typically the main difference between Sable and Taurus. My guess is they share the same assembly plants, right?
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    How do muffler shops stay in business these days? I had an '80 Honda and a '87 Ford van that ate exhaust systems. Every two years you were back getting the system replaced. Had my '89 Taurus wagon for 11 years and never a problem. Ditto with our '97 Ford E-150 van. Our present cars (2000 Mustang, 2001 Taurus and 2001 Focus) are too new to get a handle on but I imagine we'll have the same results.
    It appears most of them have branched out to do other services such as brakes, shocks and struts, alignments, tires, batteries etc. Relying only on mufflers and tailpipes would result in a dying business. Stainless systems sure are great from the consumer standpoint. Especially since the typical aftermarket exhaust systems were so cheap the pipes and mufflers would tend to go after about 2 years, even though the muffler had a "lifetime" warranty.

Auto reliability has come a long way from the "good old days" when you had to have a tuneup every 10,000 miles and tires went 20,000 miles at most.
  • gtyatesgtyates Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone else had a dash rattle in their 2001 Taurus? Mine seems to be coming from the left side of the dash, between the steering wheel and the driver's door. The car is still under warranty, but I am looking for ideas before I take it in. The rattle initially was intermittent, but has now become pretty steady when driving. Other than this rattle and the crappy Firestone Affinity tires, I am totally satisfied with the car, and after 19k miles have not had any other issues with it.
    I don't have any suggestions, haven't had it on mine. Can you try to stop the rattle by pressing on various areas on the dash surface? Sometimes that can help isolate the problem if it is a surface panel or A-C vent.

On another subject, I am surprised Ford is using any Firestone tires, after the big Explorer/Firestone tire fiasco. I thought they had cut ties completely with Firestone. My '00 has Continentals that are fair. They seem to work very well on snow, fair on dry pavement, but have very little wet pavement traction. It is easy to spin the wheels on wet pavement. The 200HP Duratec makes this show up more.

I will upgrade to something better when they wear out.
  • gtyatesgtyates Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the reply Badgerfan. I have not been able to isolate the rattle by pressing various areas of the dash. I believe it is something internal, but so far have been unable to find it myself.

I,too, was surprised that the car came with Firestone tires. I also plan to upgrade to either Bridgestone Potenza's or possibly Michellin Pilot's, but am holding out until I can't stand it any longer.

Now, if I can just find the rattle, I will be happy again with the car. By the way, mine is an SES model, black, with gray leather and the rear spoiler. I still get compliments on the car, and even some questioning just what exactly am I driving.
    Mine is a Dark Green SES. Got cloth seats though, and no spoiler. I picked what best fit my needs off the lot at end of model year-they had $1000 rebate and O.9 APR both available at once at the time. The Duratec is great, although I probably would get better mileage if I didn't exercise it on acceleration as often as I do. Hope you find your rattle. My experience with Tauri is interior rattles are very rare. My previous '90 went ten years and didn't have a rattle when I sold it.

I think Ford would sell a ton more of them if they promoted it more. Great bargain compared to the major foreign competitors. (Accord and Camry, of course)
    Anyone aware of any replacement speakers for the A pillar mounted speakers on a 2000 Sable with the Mach Audio? I'm getting distortion/noises from the driver's side speaker and while I can likely get this replaced at the dealer under warranty, I figure the odds are good that it will go again. Not a teenager and don't blast the thing, but occassionally do get 4-5 "dots" on the screen displayed, which is reasonably loud, but not nearly full blast. Sort of annoyed that this premium upgrade isn't capable of handling the power it came with.

Would like to put in a nice aftermarket speaker, but don't know how this would effect the overall sound. Would I need to replace all 6 speakers for best results? Would the amp and equilizer settings still work with the new speakers? Is this something a car stereo novice could tackle?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Would suggest you give the folks at Cruchfield a call as they supply replacement speakers for many many OEM installations.

4 - 5 dots, huh?? Wow! You do like it loud if the radio works the same as in our 2001 Taurus SEL!
  • alharalhar Member Posts: 11
    Have really been enjoying my new fully loaded Matador Red Taurus. It has all of 600 miles on it and I have no major complaints. The side arm rest does seem a bit hard on my elbow and the door latches seem a bit less than sturdy. Haven't had power like this since my 67 Ford Hardtop V-8 390.
    Have trouble making a smooth acceleration from a stopped position.
    I bet you won't be stopping for gas as often as you did with your 67 390 V-8 either. Or for tires, tuneups, etc.

I asked awhile back, anyone with high mileage yet on their 2000 and newer Taurus? How are they doing, any problems other than routine maintenance?

This board is pretty quiet. Guess everyone is happily, quietly enjoying their Tauri.
  • kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    Three dots on Grandma's '97 Taurus is loud enough for me! :-)

I posted here a (long) while back explaining that the factory alarm on her '97 Taurus LX was randomly going off at all hours of the nights. Well, as mysteriously as it started, is seems to have stopped (at least for now). It sure had her scared to lock her doors (ok, she is an extremely timid and anxious little woman), and she still refuses to lock them. I don't like the idea of her car sitting in a parking lot for days (like it often is) unattended and unlocked. It's a good thing that the car's ignition needs the chip in the key to start.
  • alharalhar Member Posts: 11
    Bought the 67 Ford in early 68 at Ft Knox KY, and drove to Florida and then to LA. Got 9 to 10mph at that time. Gas was a bit cheaper then. Not too many cars were able to pass me back then. LOL.

Was just showing my 10 year old nephew the SEL. He got a big kick out of the keypad on the door,
    the power seat and extender pedals. Wants his Dad to get one like it.

Locked the car with my wife in it at a shopping center the other day. When she got out the alarm sounded but by the time she found me it had quit.
    Won't do that again.
  • riswamiriswami Member Posts: 192
    why anyone would discuss reliability for 2000 and above Tauruses? There maybe a few 100k plus cars out there and there shouldn't be many major mechanical problems with a group of cars (2k,2001 and 2002 models) this young.

Time will tell, but it is way too soon to predict better reliability for this generation. I'm not sure Ford cares and eventually that will lead to their downfall as younger generations continue to buy Japanese and European nameplates because of a perception they are more reliable.
  • mralanmralan Member Posts: 174
    I'm looking for a quiet tire to replace the Firestone Affinity's on my 01 SES.

Any recommendations?
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Yokohoma Avid, quite, budget oriented, high quality. I am very pleased with them. They made big difference on my 00-SES
    Did you get the Avid H4's or the Avid T4's?
  • 2000taurussel2000taurussel Member Posts: 8
    I have 68k on my my Taurus. I commute 220 miles a day, approx. 4 1/2 hours/4 days a week. My car is fully loaded, with all the comforts. I have experienced a number of problems with my car since its purchase. Besides the original transmission, I have had it replaced 2 times.... hoping to not have to replace it again. I have an 80k warranty, and if the tranny goes again, I hope it is within the next 12k miles. I have had most everything else replaced... except the water and fuel pumps. Even my moon roof and the head liner replaced. But in the last 25k miles, the car has been very, very good to me. I like the car. It is very comfortable for driving, and my wife loves the ride when we go on trips. I have replaced the tires, using Yokohama Avid's and am very happy with their performance. Changing the tires made an incredible difference in the drive and handling, not to mention a large decrease in road noise.
    I go by the book on maintenance, so I should be able to pass this car down to the girls as a good car in a couple of years. Will I buy another Ford? I am not sure. I am not thrilled at all the problems encountered with this vehicle. I am surprised that with all my problems in the past, that Ford has never contacted me, with concerns, comments or critisisms that I might have regarding the vehicle, the service. I have to believe that they keep a data base on their automobiles and the number of problems that occur. If they saw my file, they are probably too embarrassed to contact me.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    I'm just curious, but do you know which factory your car was built at? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that one of the factories might have had more quality control issues than the other...

Also, what kind of mileage are you getting with all your driving?
  • 2000taurussel2000taurussel Member Posts: 8
    I think my car was built in Oklahoma. I know the Assembly Plant location was on one of the window stickers, but I removed all that stuff.
    I get approx. 27 miles on the freeway. Approx. 40 of the 220 miles is mountainous. In the city, I get approx. 18 miles, sometimes less depending on my driving habits.
    Same question that I have for snowman. Did you purchase the Yoko Avid H4's or T4's?
    They are Yokohoma Avid Touring. I found them in Tirerack.com with excellent test result and very compatitive price. I paid $47.91 each plus installation.
    If you ever get new set, get them balanced in the dealership. 3rd party shops are cutting corners on lead weights and they are pretty much small compare with dealership weights. I had this problem. I took it to dealership they balanced it since then they are excellent.

One other suggestion that I read here, wash your alloys with dish detergent before you take it in for balancing, this way weight will stick to alloy like glue and you won't loose them, otherwise surface dirt may cause loss of wheel weight.
    I am surprised about your transmission problems. I am just curious, what were the symptoms before they went south?
    Mine is built in Georgia plant which is considered risky plant in terms of quality. I got 30K, so far power steering pump was replaced, other than that, it's been good. Got the trany. flushed at 22K. and before the summer, got all fluids replaced. Keep an eye on brake fluid. It must be like champagne color, if it is darker get it replaced asap.
    are built in either Chicago or Atlanta. Interesting that a 2k model is having transmission trouble so early in its life.

My 97 had the "service engine soon" light go on last week. I thought it was emmisions. My mechanic told me the code stated excessive slippage in the transmission. Tranny seems fine to me. The light was reset and I've driven approximately 150 miles since and no Service Engine Soon" light has gone back on.Hoping it was something with a bad sensor signal; although I've heard these trannies go without much warning.

My mechanic also stated he liked the old Vulcan motor over the DOHC. Thinks it is built better and will last longer. Who knows? Just his opinion.

I didn't read anything where Ford states that significant improvements were made to the new (2k and on) trannies.I was told at my Ford dealership that there are two suppliers of transmissions; one is much better than the other.

I too am curious as to what symptoms the car had before your transmissions failed.

Like I said before, way too early to tell if Ford has improved reliability on the Taurus/Sable. This is the same company that keeps cranking out 3.8 liter engines. I wouldn't want that piece of head gasket eating junk!
  • mablemable Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a 2000 Sable LS Premium without the Mach audio system but do have the trunk mounted cd changer. Would like to add if possible the pillar speakers. I'm thinking that perhaps the wiring is already there. Has anyone done this. Checked Crutchfield and they only list info on the 4 speaker set-ups.
    both the vulcan and duratec are solid motors.
  • upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    There are two kinds of transmissions AX4S and AX4N in Taurus. What kind you have? It all depends. I know couple of guys who didn't have any problems with notorius AXOD-E up to 150K. My friend also changed powersteering in his 97 Camry around 27,000 miles.

Excessive slippage may be not with transmission by with torque converter. It has piston clutch that can slip when for some reason transmission fluind leaking from internal sealings. But you have to feel hash engagment at 15 mph. It doesn't work normally when there is excessive TC slippage, because computer increases trans fluid pressure. Another sign is a harsh engagment when you go from parking to drive.
  • bdingerbdinger Member Posts: 1
    kw_carman...

I had a similar problem with my '97 Sable in which the alarm would go off for no reason at all. It turned out to be a faulty sensor in the engine lid that was affected by moisture.

You can still lock your doors without setting the alarm. All you need to do is push down on the lock instead of using the electronic buttons or remote. This should lock the door, but not set the alarm.
  • sola2000sola2000 Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a new family sedan. Before purchasing the car, I did a lot of research and extensivley test drove many cars, both domestics and imports. I drove the Chevrolet Impala, Dodge Stratus and Intrepid, Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan Altima and Maxima, Pontiac Bonneville and Grand Prix, Saturn LS, Toyota Camry and the Volkswagen Passat.

After driving all those cars I would say, without question, the imports are far superior to the domestics. I remember driving the taurus and then going to the Toyota dealer, driving the '02 Camry and being shocked at how much smoother, more refined and better designed and engineered it is than the Ford or any of the domestics.

My favorite out of all cars I drove? It was the Passat. I thought it provided the best driving experience. There really is something to that German heritage. The car I actually bought? My second favorite. A 2002 V6 Honda Accord. Why? I keep my cars a long time and I just didn't trust VW's long term reliability. I know with a Honda or Toyota product one is virtually assured bullet proof quality and reliability for years and years, and hundreds of thousands of miles. In the final analysis that can't be said for American or German cars.
    People who bought Taurus, Intrepid or any other car, had made their mind and decisions. They believed they did the best thing for their taste, life style and budged. I drive Taurus, love the design and comfort. I drove 91 and 99 Accord, got bored and decided not to buy anymore. I also love to drive Intrepid, it is my dream car.
    So coming over here and possibly many other subscriptions and expressing your taste is pointless.

To me, having a car with big radio knob or a little loud engine is better than paying $600-$800 for timing belt and water pump or dumping bagfull money to expensive service calls and maintenance items or most important paying inflated sticker price.

We don't care your taste. However you are most welcome to discuss technicall issues and differences between cars. I believe this is more realistic. If I have enough time, I can generate a big Accord problems or Camry problems lists too.

Good luck your purchase, and if you decide to discuss technical and performance related issues, you are welcome.
  • atcersatcers Member Posts: 26
    Mable,

I have a 2001 Sable LS without the Mach audio too. I found the system to be a little "weak" so I made several modifications to the audio system one of which was component speakers(pillar speakers) I used Infinity 605cs two way components. These retail for about $180 a pair but you can find them much cheaper on the internet. These speakers will require you to remove the sail panel (black triangular plastic) and cut a round hole that allows for the installation of the component tweeter. The mid-woofer will fit in the existing factory speaker door opening but will require two new holes to be drilled. You are correct in assuming that the wiring already exists. It is inside the door panel. The problem is there is no signal to the wiring without the Mach system. The Infinity speakers include a crossover unit that bypasses the factory setup. The difference in sound quality is very, very noticeable with the component speakers BUT keep in mind that you will still be using the non MACH amplifier which only puts out 6 watts per channel, so the whole musical experience won't be that dramatic. The installation is pretty straight forward and can be done using the existing wiring. If you would like any information on this please let me know as I have replaced all four speakers, installed front components, and added an external amp to the factory system.

Good luck,
    Scott
  • giantrobgiantrob Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 98 Taurus, 3.0 V6, but the miles are high "85K" It is a good buy, or should I just say Goodbye?
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    "To me, having a car with big radio knob or a little loud engine is better than paying $600-$800 for timing belt and water pump or dumping bagfull money to expensive service calls and maintenance items or most important paying inflated sticker price"

inflated sticker price - that's funny. that's something you'll NEVER have to worry about with a taurus. or anything remotely resembling decent resale value. the most amazing thing is that this car won't be redesigned for years. YIKES!
    anyone tell you if the 98 Taurus is a good buy. You don't state a price, is the car in good condition? Was it maintained? There are two 3 liter engines, which one does this one have?

One other comment - Does anyone else on this board ever wonder the purpose of certain post? Earlier this week a post was made that a 2k Taurus has gone thru 3 transmissions. Is this possible, yes. But when you ask for specifics you get silence. I sometimes wonder if some of the postings are from people who don't even own the car and are looking to slam, why I can't tell you.

As for the post that tells us how inferior a Taurus is to a bunch of other cars, what was the point of posting it here. I agree with some of what was said in that post. But most of us have our reasons for the purchase we made.
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    If for whatever reason I needed or desired to get rid of my Merc. Sable and buy another brand I would refrain from announcing it in this thread.
    I find it distasteful that this guy posted here that he purchased a car other than Taurus or Sable.

The comparison he makes is interesting although he doesn't elaborate much but boasts that he bought a Honda Accord? Please post it in the Honda thread.

I'm not denying that Camrys and Accords are good cars but wouldn't attempt to insult my fellow Sable/Taurus owners by informing them that I purchased a different make.

I really don't have brand loyalty. However, I not only like my Sable but also I can think of several advantages of owning a Taurus/Sable over the Japanese competition. This thread, however, is not for comparisons. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I love my Mercury Sable and would rush out to purchase another one bypassing others. It offers advantages that others don't even come close to offering. Sometimes I think that Ford doesn't capitalize on
    it.
  • atcersatcers Member Posts: 26
    I couldn't agree more with Danielj6 and riswami! The reason for some of the anti-Ford posts make me wonder about their validity. Especially when details are asked of the poster. I don't think most people ask questions of negative posts to "grill" the poster but to see if they "can do" or "should look for" similar problems with their vehicle. Most of the time as was stated there is no response. Therefore the original negative poster was inflating the truth or is not willing to share their knowledge with others. Neither of these senerios helps people on this board. No doubt there are better cars than the Sable/Taurus, I for one would love to own a 540 BMW but there is no way I could live with the initial cost and BMW maintenance. When it comes down to the bottom line domestics are more reasonable to repair than imports. I purchased my Sable not for resale but because of 0% financing and invoice pricing. It was a great deal compared to Toyota and Honda. My biggest gripe on the Camry and Accord is the small/narrow driver leg area. I'm only 6 foot and wonder how taller drivers deal with the lack of leg room? Thank you Ford for having the option of a front bench seat!!!!!!!!
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    actually i saw the very same post (accord purchase over others) on the malibu page. i wonder how many other places it has been posted? i have not seen it on the accord page however.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yeah, the person went on a spam attack. But the rules of netiquette have been emphatically explained by other TH members to said person. ;)
This discussion has been closed.